Thread: How to celebrate without a party? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029401

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Mr Image and I will be marking 50 years of marriage next year. Now is the time to start planning the celebration. Neither one of us care for parties and large groups of people, but we do want to have children and grandchildren and a few friends around. We were thinking of a long week-end away with activities that both adults and teen-age children would enjoy. Looking for ideas.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Depending on the time of year it is possible to take over an entire youth hostel. With that in mind, make a decision on which activities are likely to appeal to most of you, then decide where in the UK these can be accommodated: after that, find a hostel and approach the YHA.

Failing that, you can get very good deals on larger holiday properties in places like Pembrokeshire.

Alternatively, what about a group booking at Centre Parcs?

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

An idea nicked from my parents: On their 40th wedding anniversary, they went back to the church where they got married. Could that be an idea from which to seed your plans?

I'm assuming, of course, that you're not still at the same church; which may be incorrect.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

The large venue in a scenic location has a lot to be said for it. The other year we were at the wedding of a young cousin, where the respective families were scattered between the UK and Australia. So they hired a fishing lodge on Vancouver Island, big enough to sleep everyone attending (about 2 dozen). About half were the couple's contemporaries and siblings and the rest the oldies - parents, aunties, a granda.

It worked because there was a communal area round a central chimney stack big enough for separate groupings to form without impinging on one another. Plus there was exterior decking and seating. And loads of Canadian scenery to go off and explore. The company all met at mealtimes (there was a kitchen rota) and of course for the ceremonies and celebrations on The Day.

It also worked because of a great deal of planning I suspect.

While you may not quite fancy coordinating across 3 continents, I think there's a usable template in there: get a good space big enough to both meet - and avoid - each other in. Delegate the catering. Walking distance to one or more pubs. Wifi. A great outdoors of some sort.

[ 10. December 2015, 16:48: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Galilit (# 16470) on :

On our 30th we went back to the place we first met with the three grown children, the son-out-law and grandchild in utero. It was a hard to get to place in a National Park and the last part we went by boat so it was a Real Journey. We had all prepared speeches; there were tears, hugs and a wee dram.

Thank you for suggestions. Keep them coming. Good fodder for the fire. Although going to same church would be all the way across the US, I would enjoy returning to church where children were raised which is only a few hours away and I suspect would give them fond memories as well. Good start. Thank you. I had thought of a hotel but after reading perhaps can find a house or resort to rent instead, making it easier for all to gather in one spot at times. I like the idea of having some free schedule time as Mr Image has limited walking ability and would not want to join in all the activities of the younger set. We were married in December but are thinking of doing an early fall celebration, to avoid uncertain weather.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

One option would be to have each group their own rooms / cabins at a resort, hotel, or similar location - that way you are all there to do things together, but each have your own space to retreat to. Some hotels and such may also have a meeting room available that can be used as a common space.

Depending on your area, you may find a good time in the Fall that is after peak summer rates, but before ski season. (In some areas you may also have to plan around hunting season.)

We recently stayed in a cabin at a lake resort right at the end of their season, and it actually worked out well, as it wasn't very crowded. Cabins actually might be a good arrangement, as it provides separate activity areas, and accommodates both early risers and night owls.

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

I see that I was thinking along similar lines to some of those expressed above ...
for our 40th we hired some of the cottages in a quiet holiday complex (owned by a club with very reasonable rates) giving sufficient room for a fairly well defined group of family and close friends. Lots of nice scenery and places to go (N Devon), plus there was an indoor swimming pool. People came and went over the course of about a week. Worked very well, and I didn't have to give a speech.
One of the cottages was "pet friendly" and the two associated hounds formed an amicable pack.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

We've had family do's on a couple of occasions at self catering rented houses. I didn't arrange them, so I don't know how much they were, or the process of finding them, though they both had websites.

If you do that sort of thing, do check about fire escapes first. We didn't have any fires, but one place would have been a bit of a hazard if there had been one. We couldn't recce the escape routes, as they were alarmed, and they would also have been impossible for anyone with mobility issues, from the bit I could see. (It wasn't just me who was concerned about that, though I was alone in the party to be. I contacted the local fire service, and it was on their to do list.)

Otherwise, all getting together in a crowd and contributing to the meals is great fun.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

VRBO.com is a good place to start for large houses.

We went to Mexico and stayed at a house rented by my wife's aunt and uncle a few years back, and I think one of the keys was having several rental cars. That way people can break up, go on different adventures, or head home early from the same adventure when the little ones need a nap.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

Hubby and I had a lot of romantic plans for our 25th anniversary, then ended up spending the night in the ER with a sick kid. Hubby sent me home to sleep while he stayed up all night in the ER. When we met up bleary-eyed over coffee the next day, we decided this is how you get to 25 (as well, presumably, 50!): not with fancy dinners and romantic gestures, but by rolling with life and doing what needs to be done.

Hope you have a lovely day and stay out of the ER.

[ 12. December 2015, 22:59: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

What is popular over the border into the next state is to travel to a temple town called Thirukadaiyur with relatives, kids, grandkids etc. and go through a sort of reaffirming the vows ceremony [all done in a nice light-hearted and gentle way*] - I am sure there are clergy in Christian traditions who would happily facilitate the same sort of thing and, when we saw some happen, it all seemed very meaningful.

*There were grandkids telling granddad he was doing it wrong and lots of laughter all round - we were invited to participate with a few families and it was wonderful!

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

For our 30th we hired a house on the Isles of Scilly, a place which is very special to us, and took our daughters and partners away for the week. They all loved it there too. We ate together each evening and during the day everyone was free to go exploring or sit on a beach as they wished.

Next year will be our 40th and we have booked to take all the UK based daughters and families for champagne afternoon tea. We'll be retuning, just the two of us to Scilly for a week.

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

A simple renewal of vows done from the prayer book and a high tea can be done pretty much anywhere. TP hates parties and surprises too - so we are thinking of hiring a large portion of a beach villa complex for assorted family groups to converge. Long rambles along the beachfront will be appreciated by everyone as we live inland. Sometimes simple is good.

Thank you all.
I think we will arrive a day early to rest up from the drive.

Next day we will do a renewal of vows in church where children grew up. A sweet little place where two or three can gather together. After we will have lunch and a ride on a narrow gage rail. Little walking for hubby. Next day the beach followed by a dress up dinner at a quirky little restaurant that we often dinned at for special events when children were young. Having some old friends who still live in the area join us.
Final day a bit of sightseeing, lunch and family leaves.
We leave the next day.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Thank you all.
I think we will arrive a day early to rest up from the drive.

Next day we will do a renewal of vows in church where children grew up. A sweet little place where two or three can gather together. After we will have lunch and a ride on a narrow gage rail. Little walking for hubby. Next day the beach followed by a dress up dinner at a quirky little restaurant that we often dinned at for special events when children were young. Having some old friends who still live in the area join us.
Final day a bit of sightseeing, lunch and family leaves.
We leave the next day.

That sounds perfect. Enjoy!

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I agree, it all sounds wonderful!

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

We are getting close to our 40th anniversary and I'm sure there will be a move to have a pretty big party. I don't like parties either but many do, so my wish (scheme?) is for someone to host the party then we will drop in, make a brief speech, drink the toast, go round the tables and get the hell out.

Mrs Sioni and I will then have a very nice meal at some secret location.

© Ship of Fools 2016