Thread: I've seen Star Wars - the spoiler thread Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029404

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

*This thread contains spoilers about the new Star Wars film*

I've just come out of the cinema. Who else has seen it? To avoid plot giveaways for those who wish to avoid them, go away now. This is a dedicated thread to avoid clashing with the regular film thread.

So it contains spoilers!

Right then, what did you make of it?

There were a number of great hat tips to the original trilogy that made me grin from ear to ear (like the little remote control lorry thing from the death star appearing early on). BB8 rather stole the show and I couldn't help but think of him (her? it?) as the lovechild of R2D2 and Wall-E.

Kye-Lo-Ren was great up until the point he took his mask off. Distinct whiff of Bane from The Dark Knight Rises but then he just turned into teenage Snape.

The action sequences were head-spinning brilliance; definitely exciting and I found myself ducking and weaving.

As the film progressed, though, I found that the homages got a bit too much. It was almost as if the best bits of A New Hope were taken with a few dashes of Return of the Jedi and The Empire Strikes Back (especially the pulling of the light sabre, King Arthur-like, from the snow into the hands of the offspring of Skywalker).

Overall, hugely entertaining, but could have had a more original plot.

*Did I mention: This thread contains spoilers*

Posted by Jack o' the Green (# 11091) on :

I think that's a perfect summary tbh. I found the female lead grew on me as the movie progressed. Initially, I found her quite annoying. The one major distraction for me was Carrie Fisher's lips! They seemed to be frozen into more or less a straight line. Too much botox possibly? In the latter stages, I found the villan very annoying. And what's with the 'I thought Jedi were only a legend' line again? Don't people have memories or video in this far, far away galaxy?

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

I liked it a lot. I’m glad they’ve brought back the aesthetics of the original trilogy and not used excessive amounts of CGI.

I liked that the new hero is a girl and she is badass.

I thought they did quite well with progressively introducing the characters (mostly – along with the Millennium Falcon) from the original films. By far the biggest cheer of the night was for the appearance of Han Solo and Chewbacca, which I genuinely was not expecting at that moment.

On the plot, I thought it was a bit lazy to basically just blow the Death Star up again, except bigger.

The least convincing element for me was the baddie who I thought wasn’t nearly scary enough, even with the helmet on. Coming up with a baddie as scary as Darth Vader was always going to be a bit of a tall order, admittedly.

I’m mightily annoyed that Han Solo got killed off because he was always my favourite character and it won’t be the same without him. I’m guessing Harrison Ford only wanted to do the one film. (Local quirk: we watched it in French at my husband’s request. The voice-over artist dubbing Han Solo was rubbish and completely lacking the proper irony.) I didn’t know quite what to make of the whole “it’s true, all of it”, thing. Solo was also supposed be a giant skeptic of ancient weapons and hokey religion. Felt a bit off to me.

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

I’m mightily annoyed that Han Solo got killed off *snip* Solo was also supposed be a giant skeptic of ancient weapons and hokey religion. Felt a bit off to me.

That seems to answer the question "what happened in the 10 minutes I missed because I was busy being ill?" I did wonder why Solo & Chewey suddenly disappeared.

But surely, Solo's coming round to acknowledge the Force was sealed by his son becoming a Sith Lord.

In our cinema, the biggest cheer was when we saw the unmistakable shape of R2D2 under the sheet, even before it was pulled away.

There wasn't any cheering at my screening. Overall it was less exuberant than the first showing of Revenge of the Sith despite overall being a much better film.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

You do realise this thread is Very Unfair on the Hosts, don't you?

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:
I’m mightily annoyed that Han Solo got killed off because he was always my favourite character and it won’t be the same without him.

Haven't seen it yet ... but of course in this kind of movie there are loads of ways to bring him back/he's not really dead.

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
I’m mightily annoyed that Han Solo got killed off because he was always my favourite character and it won’t be the same without him.

Haven't seen it yet ... but of course in this kind of movie there are loads of ways to bring him back/he's not really dead.
I'm not sure that's true with Star Wars. The only people who come back are Jedi who are able to maintain a post death existence as 'force ghosts'. Everyone else tend to stay dead.

[ 17. December 2015, 16:36: Message edited by: Jack o' the Green ]

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I am posting randomly because I want the spoiler that appeared on the 'todays active threads' forum summary page to disappear and not ruin it for anyone besides me.

[Mad]

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

It did say "spoiler?"

Yes, but in the display on "today's active threads" page, the actual spoiler was displayed. This one: http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_daily

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

There's more than one way to access the threads on the board. If you choose to use Active Threads, you have to accept that you get a preview that you have no control over.

The film is out; discussion is legitimate, and anyone not wishing to know needs to avoid this thread.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

There was a lot of cheering in the theater I attended tonight. There was also a lot of laughing. Unfortunately I missed some of the dialogue right after the funny parts. So, I'll just have to go again, won't I? [Big Grin]

There were some "we've seen this before" aspects to the movie, but it was so well done, and the spirit of the story reminded me of the magic of A New Hope.

During the time of waiting, I have to admit I was disappointed to learn that the canon of the books attached to the Star Wars universe was to be disregarded. The people and stories from the books have been my old friends for a long time. (There does seem to be a nod to them, though.) These new people are very worthy of the present saga, however! Did anyone else think that Rey looks like Padme?

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

There were some "we've seen this before" aspects to the movie, but it was so well done, and the spirit of the story reminded me of the magic of A New Hope.

Yes. It really did feel like "A New Hope" and it pushed all my nostalgia buttons. I was grinning from ear to ear for most of the film, so much that my face aches a little. It was like going to a reunion and seeing all your old friends.

I thought the new characters did well (I loved Maz!, although I had some reservations about Finn at the beginning, when all he seemed to do was pant.

quote:

Did anyone else think that Rey looks like Padme?

Hmm. I hadn't, but now that you say it.... I did think there was a lot going on in the look between her and Luke, like he recognizes her as the one who will redeem him.

quote:

Why shouldn't she look like her grandmother? [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
You do realise this thread is Very Unfair on the Hosts, don't you?

Could you not ask jedijudy to be responsible for hosting it? I mean, what were the chances she hadn’t seen it? [Biased]

I’m not expecting any kind of resurrection – usually when a franchise like that bumps off a main character it’s because the actor’s had enough. It’s the same reason that Judi Dench’s M bought the farm a couple of Bond films back.

quote:
Could you not ask jedijudy to be responsible for hosting it? I mean, what were the chances she hadn’t seen it? [Biased]

Indeed! However, when this thread appeared, I hadn't seen Star Wars yet. The planet hadn't moved into the correct position yet. [Big Grin]

I'm still happy and can't wait to go again. Maybe IMAX???

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

Why shouldn't she look like her grandmother? [Biased]
Great-gran, more likely. Padme is Luke and Leia's grandmother.

Actually, Padme is Luke and Leia's mom. Shmi is their grandma.

Feeling my inner geek roaring! [Biased]

Posted by toadstrike (# 18244) on :

It wasn't clear to me that Rey was Luke's daughter (although I suspected from the start it would turn out like that) but maybe I missed the relevant bit of the flashback thing going too fast for me.

Also when the ground was collapsing conveniently stopping short at Rey's feet I missed Kylo getting rescued but the reference to his continued training by Snoke.

What seemed odd to me was that she found her Jedi powers so fast having only just discovered them under Kylo's interrogation that she could overcome the stormtrooper (who I gather was a cameo by Daniel Craig) with a mind trick and get him to release her.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Lots of words coming up because I have to unload my many thoughts in a place where people are OK with spoilers ...

I loved, loved, loved it. And my inner feminist movie critic loved it too, because it's one of the very, very, very few action movies since the original Star Wars in 77 to move us a step forward (instead of several steps backward, as most movies since then have done) from badass Princess Leia, who was unusually capable and empowered for her time.

Rey is the MOST badass female action hero I've seen in this type of movie in awhile. She never needs to be rescued; when the guys do show up to rescue her she's already rescued herself. When she got knocked out in the final fight and Finn went after Kylo Ren with the light sabre, I thought, "Oh no! After doing so well for the whole movie, are they really going to have the heroine knocked unconscious and have the male lead be the one who fights in the final duel even though Rey is clearly the one in whom the Force is strong?" But they didn't. When she woke up and took the light sabre it was nothing short of awesome.

And during the scene with Rey and Maz where Maz tells Rey about the Force, I grabbed my daughter and said, "Movie passes the Bechdel test!!" It also did a great job representing women in lots of mundane background roles, from pilots to Stormtroopers. When a character's gender wasn't important, they didn't just automatically set "male" as the default, and that's much appreciated, I think, bu those of us who are watching to see how women are represented on the big screen.

I thought Han's death was totally appropriate, necessary and well-done. Of the three original (human) characters, he had by far the biggest role in this film, and I assume Ford told Abrams that he'd be willing to do it as a one-off. It was a great return and finale for that character and I loved everything -- Han being his old self, the Han/Leia relationship which was both satisfying and not, and the closure in that lovely final embrace. The way Han's relationship with Kylo Ren echoes (backwards) Luke's relationship with Vader (which has to be so hard for Han and Leia, because they RAISED this kid, and he still turned to the dark side). But his death was absolutely necessary, because Kylo Ren (also love the fact that his real name is Ben!) is shown as struggling with the choice between light and dark, and he has to do something absolutely, unequivocally evil to turn him to the dark side. What could be more effective than killing his father?

I liked that Kylo Ren wasn't a chilling dark lord like Vader, but a petulant teenager rebelling against his parents by trying super-hard to be a villain. (He reminds me a lot of teenage Anakin in the prequels, though played by a better actor, fortunately). I think the movie played that up and even had a bit of a laugh at his expense in the couple of scenes where he gets angry and basically has a temper tantrum slashing things with his light sabre ... the reactions of other characters in those scenes were priceless. I would assume this trilogy is basically going to be his redemption story as well as Rey's hero journey, and they had to take Ren to a pretty dark place quickly to make that story dramatic. So killing Han was the right thing to do from a story perspective, even though I loved seeing Harrison Ford as Han Solo onscreen again after all these years and hate that I'll never see him take on the role again.

I had a couple of nitpick-quibbles that did not destroy my enjoyment of the movie. First, I know some people complained that the awful prequels spent too much time on politics, but this one could have spent a little more time on politics -- like maybe three more sentences of dialogue to explain what was pretty confusing in the opening text-crawl. So, since the events of Return of the Jedi, presumably the New Republic has been ruling for awhile, right? Because the old Empire fell. And now this new group, the First Order, has risen up to challenge the Republic, and they're adopting the values and symbolism of the old Empire. OK. I get that. They're like neo-Nazis emulating the good old days of the Third Reich; that's believable.

But if that's the situation, why is there a "Resistance" fighting the First Order? The Resistance is allied with the Republic, but why are they resisting? Shouldn't it just BE the Republic trying to crush this upstart new group, the First Order? The Republic still holds power, right? A "resistance" group normally is trying to overthrow those in power; why would you resist against a bunch of rebels?

The only way I could figure it out (but it would have helped if this were actually in the movie rather than in my head) is that the First Order is a bit like ISIS (OK, so they're like neo-Nazis AND they're like ISIS) in that they're viewed as an offshoot rebel group but there are terrorities in which they hold power and control, and the Resistance is trying overthrow them within those territories, with help from the larger, more powerful Republic which has clearly lost control over those terrorities. That would make sense ... I think. But like I said, I could have used two or three more sentences to clarify that.

Also, super-dramatic to have Ren kill Han on top of that giant catwalk so we could see his body falling into the abyss, but ... are there no OH&S people on this First Order base??? Who puts a catwalk like that hundreds of metres above ... whatever is down below, without even a hint of a handrail? Are they trying to lose people?? Is it a sort of survival-of-the-fittest test?

I loved having Finn as a runaway storm trooper, but now thinking of the storm troopers as captured child soldiers raised for combat (a bit like the Unsullied in Game of Thrones) humanizes them quite a bit and makes me feel bad about how many of them get slaughtered. When they were just the white suits (or possibly clones in white suits) they seemed more robotic and less human, so you didn't have to have a lot of moral complexity around killing them. But having seen one question his role and rebel, now I wonder about all the rest!

quote:
Originally posted by toadstrike:
It wasn't clear to me that Rey was Luke's daughter (although I suspected from the start it would turn out like that) but maybe I missed the relevant bit of the flashback thing going too fast for me.

Also when the ground was collapsing conveniently stopping short at Rey's feet I missed Kylo getting rescued but the reference to his continued training by Snoke.

What seemed odd to me was that she found her Jedi powers so fast having only just discovered them under Kylo's interrogation that she could overcome the stormtrooper (who I gather was a cameo by Daniel Craig) with a mind trick and get him to release her.

Is it in any way confirmed that Rey is Luke's daughter? I could totally see how they might be setting that up (and I do hope Luke finally got some lovin' in the years since RotJ ... Han and Leia obviously did), but I also hope it's not true. First, because I hope ALL the Force-power in this universe isn't concentrated in a single family line, because that would just be stupid, and I like the idea of Rey being some random, unrelated girl in whom the Force is strong. But also because I really felt, in the Kylo Ren/ Rey interrogation scene when he took off his mask, that they were setting up something definitely un-cousinly between those two. I'd like to think this series is going to move in the direction of Ren being redeemed by love, like Vader was, but instead of the love of family, it'll be the Love of a Good Woman (who hopefully is not his first cousin). But maybe I'm reading that wrong.

I think Han dying mirrored Obi-Wan's death in some ways. The two deaths look to be new starts to the heroes' journey to fight evil. Both Luke and Rey were horrified to see a new father figure, someone they loved in spite of not knowing them long, cut down by people that the victims loved and missed.

Does that make sense?

I'm hoping to go with Daughter-Unit again on Christmas Eve to see it again! When she and I saw it Thursday evening, we were so excited that we couldn't keep the grins off our faces. Son-in-law wasn't quite as excited when we sat down in the theater, but by the end of the movie, he was almost as thrilled as we were. That's a huge recommendation, BTW.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
And during the scene with Rey and Maz where Maz tells Rey about the Force, I grabbed my daughter and said, "Movie passes the Bechdel test!!"

I'd never heard of this before you posted the link, but am taken aback by how many films still fail on that even in the second decade of the 21st century.

Anyway, back to the discussion. Sorry about Han, who was one of my favourite characters (as was Alec Guinness), but do carry on.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
And during the scene with Rey and Maz where Maz tells Rey about the Force, I grabbed my daughter and said, "Movie passes the Bechdel test!!"

I'd never heard of this before you posted the link, but am taken aback by how many films still fail on that even in the second decade of the 21st century.

I think the scene with Maz actually illustrates why so many movies fail this very simple test and how easy a problem it is to fix. Even once you've decided that your movie has a badass female lead, it's still very easy for filmmakers to default to "male" for virtually every other role that doesn't specifically have to be female, so they could have ended up with Rey and Leia as the only speaking female characters. Mysterious alien cantina-owner who somehow (why?????) has Luke's lightsabre and instructs Rey in the wonders of the Force? That character could easily be either male or female, but because "male-as-default" is so ingrained in movie culture, it probably took a conscious effort on somebody's part to say, "Well, there's no reason that couldn't be a weird female alien creature, voiced by Lupita N'yongo." And so, inch by painful inch, does the film industry crawl forward into the actual world we're all living in where roughly half of us are females.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Nailed it. You don't have to make a movie all "woman powerrr!" you just have to mix women into the action a bit.

quote:
Is it in any way confirmed that Rey is Luke's daughter? I could totally see how they might be setting that up (and I do hope Luke finally got some lovin' in the years since RotJ ...

In the novels (now deemed non-cannonical), Luke marries Mara Jade, a force user who previously worked for the Emperor. They seem to be going with some ideas in the novels, but not others, as Chewbacca dies in those leaving Han Solo to fall apart somewhat.

[ 20. December 2015, 20:22: Message edited by: Jack o' the Green ]

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
And so, inch by painful inch, does the film industry crawl forward into the actual world we're all living in where roughly half of us are females.

The bit that gave me a similar reaction was when a random stormtrooper delivered a report to Ren - with a female voice.

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

I remember going to the cinema to see Revenge of the Sith and the unbelievable hype surrounding the film's release and having to book the cinema because there were queues to get seats even a week after release. We all sat there in the dark waiting on it starting, ever so excited by the pictures we had seen of that Darth Maul face and the talk of acrobatic light sabre fights and new bright stars in leading roles. Oh how very quickly it all dissolved before us. By the time it ended there was a hushed silence in the cinema in which an unspoken silence screamed 'WTF was that?'

This time around, a mere three days after release I waltzed into the cinema and bought a ticket and sat in a theatre that was barely a quarter full. At the end there was a silence, but this time it was one of shock at just how damn good it was and how easy it was to pull it off. A mere mirror of the very first Star Wars that sets it all up beautifully for the next two movies. This silence screamed. 'Damn, that was bloody good.' It was the movie that should have been made, but sadly is marred by three spectacular steaming turds that turned the stomachs of all but the most die hard fans. I suspect people were expecting this to be total pants, hence the empty cinema. It struck me that it is in fact possible to kill off the greatest movie franchise of all time with three piss poor prequels.

My advice is, go see it if you haven't. It's a cracking good movie, just not entirely original. I love the way he played with and had fun with audience expectation and the taking the helmet off scene being the most effective. Gone is the shonky CGI overload; gone is the JarJar and co characters we all loved to hate; gone is the script that makes you laugh out loud unintentionally; gone is the bad hammy acting and plots that make no sense and gone - thank God - is Yoda having a hissy fit and bouncing around the room as if stuck in a pinball machine. That scene almost had me removed from the cinema because I laughed so much. Instead we have a decent plot, great characterisation, god effects and a story we actually care about.

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I remember going to the cinema to see Revenge of the Sith and the unbelievable hype surrounding the film's release and having to book the cinema because there were queues to get seats even a week after release. We all sat there in the dark waiting on it starting, ever so excited by the pictures we had seen of that Darth Maul face and the talk of acrobatic light sabre fights and new bright stars in leading roles.

I think you're confusing the times when George Lucus let you down - which isn't surprising since its happened so often in recent years! [Biased]

Posted by beatmenace (# 16955) on :

quote:

The least convincing element for me was the baddie who I thought wasn’t nearly scary enough, even with the helmet on. Coming up with a baddie as scary as Darth Vader was always going to be a bit of a tall order, admittedly.

I don't think Kylo Ren is actually meant to be that scary. Its a quite cleverly done. He is basically a Darth Vader fanboy who never even got as far in his training as Anakin did. Remember Luke never got properly Jedi trained either, so probably didn't have much idea how to train a new bunch.

So Ren is basically a stroppy teenager who got the keys to the Ferarri. As a Force user he isn't actually that powerful but is the best (worst) that there is left.

Then Rey comes along who is a completely intuitive Force user, having been led along by Obi Wan (for it is his voice we hear in Rey's head) and we find out how limited Kylo Ren actually is, only having had enough rudimentary teaching to go to the dark side.

The character is much smarter than ' a budget Darth Vader'.

Yes, totally agree with that assessment of Kylo Ren.

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

I'm just happy a new Star Wars movie will be coming out every year for the next four years.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

At last found it in 2D and in English [Smile]

As someone who watched A New Hope on the 90' screen at the Leicester Square Odeon, it's hard to beat the sheer sense of awe you got as a teenager entering the Star Wars universe for the first time.

I enjoyed all the nods to A New Hope but found it a lot more wearing than I had anticipated.

It's interesting to see how it reflects changes over the past 38 years; black lead actor, lead female roles - and ISIS-like massacres of entire villages [Frown] . I note stormtroopers accompanying the movie release seem to have been disarmed so as not to worry us too much...

(oh - best moment? Spotting the Millenium Falcon under that tarp [Cool] )

[ 23. December 2015, 22:04: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

After his strong opening scene I was disappointed Jeremy Corbyn didn't get more lines.

Daughter-Unit and I are going to see it again tomorrow morning! After the all the younglings go back to school, I'll go see it in 3D at the IMAX. Unfortunately D-U can't go, because she'll get a migraine.

Not only am I excited to see Star Wars again, but I get to spend some time with my beloved daughter. The best of all worlds!

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Finn a Stormtrooper? Nonsense, he shoots straight.

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

It was interesting with Kylo Ren. Like someone said above, he lost his mystique when he took his helmet off; he looked like an upper-class twit. He obeyed what his father said quickly, in taking his helmet off. I was thinking "this is the big baddie, who's giving up so easily?"; then he killed his father and I was shocked. For me, that was a powerful moment.

My wife said that it was like parts 4-6 in that the film addressed a father/son relationship; this time though from the perspective of the father, not of the son.

A bit that was a bit like Matt-Smith-as-The-Doctor was when Fen and Rey were taking it in turns grabbing hands and running. Thankfully the film avoided the "ha, see how stronger/more clever the woman is" line that Doctor Who sometimes takes. Maybe for that reason, I could identify with Rey as a man; she has similarities to Luke and I liked her as well.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

the scenes between Han and Leia... oh my.

"I saw him."

Perhaps it's because of my age or my stage in life, but sitting next to my husband, with our almost-grown sons on either side, there was something so powerful about those scenes, where they both looked so old, so full of emotion, so many words unsaid. A million lifetimes between them it seemed, such a powerful connection.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

We celebrated Christmas in the ancient tradition of my people, by going to the cineplex and seeing STAR WARS. I do feel that the need to tread again the plot of the previous movie (a little bit is a hat tip, but the entire structure?) has made it a less good movie than it could be. If you insist that the drink have coconut and pineapple juice in it, it's going to taste like a pina colada, and there's no way around it.

And my husband and I agreed that they really need some fresh blood in their engineering departments. Yet one more planet-shaped death weapon with a fatal flaw, honestly.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

The BB8 origin thing. Here's one theory.

Cattyish, I enjoyed it and look forward to some development.

Oh, and I found Baby Darth profoundly depressing. Villains should never be Wanna Bees. In a work of this type it is the antagonist that drives the entire story, and any failure or weakness pervades the entire work.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

Oh, I disagree entirely. There is no fixed reason why the villain has to be fully formed at the film's outset. When this part of the story starts, Kylo Ren is clearly well on the way to being the Big Bad, but he's not entirely there yet, and it makes the whole thing a lot more interesting when there's character development on the dark side as well as on the light. It's one of the few ways in which the story line of this movie is clearly distinguished from that of the original trilogy. Luke was a post-adolescent beginner hero at the start of Episode IV, facing an adult and completely evil bad guy in the form of Darth Vader. Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren are in the same generation, and it makes sense that as Rey and Finn are developing as heroes, Kylo Ren is developing as a villain.

Yes, I totally agree with that assessment, RuthW. I think Kylo Ren as an unformed would-be villain (who admits to still feeling a pull toward the light, though probably a bit less now after the whole patricide thing) is one of the things that makes this series potentially more interesting to me than the original.

Posted by Soror Magna (# 9881) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
... And my husband and I agreed that they really need some fresh blood in their engineering departments. Yet one more planet-shaped death weapon with a fatal flaw, honestly.

To be fair, there are a limited number of shapes available. Star Trek has already used the maw and the cube. And phallic weapons have been done to death.

quote:
Yes, I totally agree with that assessment, RuthW. I think Kylo Ren as an unformed would-be villain (who admits to still feeling a pull toward the light, though probably a bit less now after the whole patricide thing) is one of the things that makes this series potentially more interesting to me than the original.

Haven't seen it yet, but amongst my fan stuff I read thar Kylo Ren is played by Adam Driver, who in other work has struck me as an intelligent, invested actor. In particular, he seems to have a knack for moral ambiguity, so I look forward to seeing how he handles this.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
...I loved having Finn as a runaway storm trooper, but now thinking of the storm troopers as captured child soldiers raised for combat (a bit like the Unsullied in Game of Thrones) humanizes them quite a bit and makes me feel bad about how many of them get slaughtered. When they were just the white suits (or possibly clones in white suits) they seemed more robotic and less human, so you didn't have to have a lot of moral complexity around killing them. But having seen one question his role and rebel, now I wonder about all the rest!

I know what you mean, but I got the impression that this division of storm troopers was maybe a one-off experiment on the 'not-Death Star' from the way that the Domnall Gleeson character was defending 'his men'. I might have misread that entirely as it was a bit blink and you'll miss it.

ION, I really enjoyed the film. It had the lived-in feeling entirely missing from the shiny CGI of the prequels and the acting was better by some distance.

The friendship between Fin and Rey felt natural as did Han and Rey mutual admiration of each others pirating/piloting skills. Not to mention the funny bits were actually quite funny. Revolutionary!

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I did enjoy the film. I think Rey is a great character, feisty, but not just a female version of a male lead - she has something of herself too. I love the way she insists that she doesn't need Fin to hold her hand when running.

It did have something of the feel of the original story*, which was a good thing - the original story is a classic, and has been repeated multiple times in multiple forms. It is always worth redoing, and it has been redone well. The sense of the story was primary, and good. Yes, there were similarities, but then the story is a recurring one.

I suppose the most disappointing part was the bar with a range of aliens - it was a chance to have all sorts of inexplicable aliens, lots of cool make up. But I am not sure it served another primary purpose.

*Confession - I never saw the original film until very much later. I am sure I have seen it, but I am not certain when I saw it.

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

Just seen it with the family. We saw it in 3d and the only thing worthy of note was that one of the Star Destroyers was very pointy.

Generally I'm not bothered about 3d but it seems obligatory these days. I wonder if they use these kind of effects to disguise poor stories, scripts and acting. That was definitely not the case here. In my view.

Kylo Ren did seem like a mix between a juvenile Snape and Vector from Despicable Me but it will hopefully be interesting to see how he develops. Are there definitely going to be two more films?

I also loved the inter-reactions between Rey and Han. In fact that was when I first wondered about her being Luke's daughter. I agree that it would be nice if there was another family in the galaxy who raised Jedis. Did Kylo Ren sense the Force in Finn on the planet when the latter was starting to rebel?

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
... Did Kylo Ren sense the Force in Finn on the planet when the latter was starting to rebel?

It is very unusual to see someone without the force using a light sabre.

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

There have been quite a few examples on The Big Bang Theory although that programme might not form part of the official Star Wars canon.

I think the main reason for 3D is that it is much harder to pirate. It helps the studios to protect their product.

I saw the last instalment of Hunger Games in 3D and I didn’t think it added much.

I think 3D helps to make it a more immersive experience. We choose 3D sometimes, when the film should justify it.

Posted by Dal Segno (# 14673) on :

The 3D was done in post-production, not during shooting. This tends to make the 3D much less effective because the director doesn't have to think about 3D when shooting and because you get odd effects that would not have occurred if you'd used stereoscopic cameras in the first place. In this case, I noticed that the depth was pretty shallow most of the time and the only place where it really played well was in the shot of the Star Destroyer coming way out of the screen.

I dislike 3D (real life is bad enough with things coming at you; I don't need that in the movies too) but fortunately I have a pair of 2D glasses which will cancel out the effect and flatten the movie, so that if my husband and/or kids want to see a movie in 3D, I can enjoy it along with them. However they didn't work for Star Wars because the family wanted to see it in IMAX 3D and the 2D glasses didn't work there.

I recall lining up for Episode 4 in 1977 or whenever it was. No queue for this. It was in various versions at once at a12 theatre complex. Many vacant seats. The 3D version we saw was worth it. Where you sit is important with 3D.

As others have noted, the movie rhymes a little too much with the others, to the point of using a little too much from the past. Got tired of endless battle scenes. The hilt on Ren's light sabre was odd. The woman power aspect was the best addition. Though this didn't extend to Leia who was powerful only in title.

Carrie Fisher looked worse for wear. Harrison Ford needed a shave. The killing of Solo was no surprise to me given it came up on the thread summary here. It didn't ruin the movie, but my appraisal of the death scene is compromised. The simple spacing down or a second paragraph seems a viable solution.

We jointly rated it 7/10. They had a promo for Star Trek - Beyond beforehand. That franchise is currently ahead of SW.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Star Trek - Beyond beforehand

I read this whole thing as the movie title and thought, wow, that's getting very timey-wimey.

One of my brothers said one of the more interesting things to him was the introduction of where all the stormtroopers come from. He thinks, and I agree, that it would be awesome if a big rescue of kids kidnapped to be stormtroopers played a prominent part in one of the next movies. Better than blowing up another big round thing.

Also ...

quote:
Carrie Fisher looked worse for wear.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
She was 20 in the first movie, and now she's 59. You've seen other post-menopausal women, right?

I just wish they hadn't made her lose 35 pounds.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Also ...

quote:

She was 20 in the first movie, and now she's 59. You've seen other post-menopausal women, right?

Oh yes indeed. Ms. Fisher and I are of an age. My review includes her acting. She was flat in emotion.[/qb][/quote]

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
Also ...

quote:

To me the obvious aging added to the poignancy of their scenes. When Han simply says "I saw him" you feel like you're getting a glimpse of all that they have gone thru, the pain, the heartbreak

FWIW, the millenial/ thirtysomething fanboys on the Nerdist boards are pissing themselves with worship over La Fischer. Although admittedly it is more over her jaw droppingly badass interview tour.

Paging Stetson-- we need you to climb down out of your art film tower and do us a review! [Big Grin]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
... And my husband and I agreed that they really need some fresh blood in their engineering departments. Yet one more planet-shaped death weapon with a fatal flaw, honestly.

To be fair, there are a limited number of shapes available. Star Trek has already used the maw and the cube. And phallic weapons have been done to death.
From a heat-loss point of view, a sphere is the only form of large space-ship that makes sense, assuming it doesn't ever interact with entering or leaving an atmosphere. Maximum volume for minimum surface area.

This is a quite good 10 min video of storm troopers patrolling Tattooine, and getting a call to Luke's aunt and uncle after he left. It is called a COPS parody, but I found it better than the title suggests. youtube link

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Also ...

quote:

To me the obvious aging added to the poignancy of their scenes. When Han simply says "I saw him" you feel like you're getting a glimpse of all that they have gone thru, the pain, the heartbreak
I thought that was the best (and, to us middle-aged folks, the most relateable) moment in the whole movie. The way Han and Leia's relationship turned out is everything I would have hoped for -- they were never the type of couple to live "happily ever after," but they'd never be free of that bond either, especially once they had raised (and lost) a child together.

Carrie Fischer apparently sent out one of her trademark lightning bolt tweets in response to people picking on her unbotoxed face, and one of her (very young, male) fans replied that General Organa looked like "a seasoned, war hardened soldier" and therefore exactly the way a general should.

And again I am noting the generational thing- it seems to be the Gen X crowd, only slightly younger than Fischer herself, that is emitting squick about her visible signs of age. Young men think she's a badass, young women want to be her. It's those of an age to be worried about their own encroaching mortality that seem to be making the most noise.
(Yes, I Read the Comments, I'm afraid.)
As for me-- twelve years away from it, but if I accrue half the character and individuality Fischer has by the time I am 59, I will count myself accomplished.

I'm nine years younger than Carrie Fisher and I'll be very happy if I look as good as she does when that day arrives. I love seeing an actress past middle age who has actual signs of having lived a human life on her face (and can still move her eyebrows). Harrison Ford looks wonderfully craggy and worn in this movie and people aren't complaining about that.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

I've avoided this thread like the plague but am now pleased to report a viewing. When "A New Hope" came out I took my (then) 8 year old son to see it - we queued for 45 minutes and just got in before the cinema full notices went up (this was before the multiplex era). And it was THE BEST TIME. We just loved it. So it seemed fitting that we should see the new movie together (he's now in his 40s) and we were joined by his 17 year old son.

And it was just brilliant! We we all buzzing and comparing and buzzing some more afterwards. And made a firm resolve to see the next one together. Objective analysis be blowed. This was AN EVENT!

quote:
I'm nine years younger than Carrie Fisher and I'll be very happy if I look as good as she does when that day arrives. I love seeing an actress past middle age who has actual signs of having lived a human life on her face (and can still move her eyebrows). Harrison Ford looks wonderfully craggy and worn in this movie and people aren't complaining about that.

Due to her coloring and bone structure, Fischer resembles quite a few of the Grande Dames of my family tree, so I love her face. It resembles faces I've loved. Amen all over your post.

I must say, Carrie Fisher looked fantastic. I am actually more puzzled than anything else by all of the criticism.

Many of the original cast are now older. I can't understand why anyone thinks they should look as young as they were 30+ years ago.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

She looked great and acted wonderfully. I didn't cry when Han was killed, but when she found out, the look on her face made me lose it completely.

My son observed that Carrie Fisher looked less battered by age than Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill. "Rather like mum and you" he thought. Cheeky monkey.

Actually, I think there's something rather good about looking "lived in". Beats the Hell out of Botox and wigs. Different rules apply to Chewbacca, C3PO and R2D2 of course.

... Fisher. Where did I get Fischer?

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

I liked it, but found it too much like the original films for comfort.

Especially with the major premis of the film being about trying to destroy a superweapon with a small but "easily" accessed vulnerability.

I like that there is ambiguity about what happened to some Characters, and the history of others, and I hope that the coming films will bring answers to those questions in a new way.

Maybe it's just because I saw the film as an adult rather than a child, but there were somethings which didn't make sense to me, which I know people have touched on here already.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... Fisher. Where did I get Fischer?

Bobby (the late, great, US chessplayer) has a similar kind of rhythm to Carrie?

[ 31. December 2015, 20:54: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Saw an interview of Lucas by Charlie Rose.
One of the most awkward interviews I think I've seen.
Lucas is sat there like a poorly posed mankin and doesn't present his own story very well. Always stiff, by turns arrogant and self-depreciating, but both in a muted way.
Charlie Rose does an excellent impression of Gollum as a Star Wars fanboy.

Posted by W Hyatt (# 14250) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
My son observed that Carrie Fisher looked less battered by age than Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill.

It didn't help Mark that he was also battered by a car accident at the end of filming for the first Star Wars movie.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
quote:

Haven't seen it yet, but amongst my fan stuff I read thar Kylo Ren is played by Adam Driver, who in other work has struck me as an intelligent, invested actor. In particular, he seems to have a knack for moral ambiguity, so I look forward to seeing how he handles this.
Being in the industry, I rarely get props or costumes and I was not involved in this film-shoot. It was light-years more exotic watching when Z and I were the only people in the cinema, as some characters had forgotten them!

Posted by Mr Clingford (# 7961) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
I liked it, but found it too much like the original films for comfort.

Especially with the major premis of the film being about trying to destroy a superweapon with a small but "easily" accessed vulnerability.

I thought it was a bit of an affectionate send-up, especially with Han Solo's reaction to the question of what do we do - we go in and blow it up. Because the final battle wasn't so much about the starkiller but Rey, Kylo Ren and his dad, and Fin.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

I forgot to mention an unintentional moment of humour in the French subtitles when Finn hastily discards the idea of using the initials of his stormtrooper number as a name: F-N.

Which in France means Front National.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Not sure if I'll read the rest of the thread, because of what was said in Styx about people enthusiastically posting speculative semi-spoilers from various books.

BTW, if you go to IMDB's page for the movie and look at the cast list, do not click on the "more" after linked character names. Because IMDB stupidly lists if that character is in the 2017 movie. Fortunately, the one I saw isn't central, but I'd rather have been surprised.
[Disappointed]

Now, the movie. I saw it yesterday, the 2D version at an early (cheap!) showing. I usually don't like 3D, so this was perfect for me. And no lines.

I'm so glad they were kickin' it old school. [Yipee] From the few trailers I saw, I thought they might be. I'm generally not a fan of the newer movies. I loved the original ones, which started in my teens.

The story fits well with the original 3. I would've done a few things differently, mostly cinematography. I wonder if some semi-important bits wound up on the cutting room floor, and may show up in a director's cut edition.

I don't think either of the 2 main "deaths" is necessarily final. If anyone could manage to somehow survive/escape that fall and explosion, it's Han Solo. And it was strange about Finn. When he was being loaded onto transport, someone said that he still had a pulse. But Ray treated him as dead, later on, when she said goodbye to him. I kept wondering why she didn't at least *try* to use the Force to heal him. Maybe that kiss will?

All the original characters/actors looked great. I've heard that people have been trashing Carrie Fisher for aging; but it's been 40 years since the original film! I don't know what the time gap is in the fictional world; but it's probably at least 20 years later. Carrie, Harrison, and Mark all looked great--and that beard looks surprisingly good on Mark.

It was nice to see some of the old non-central characters, like Admiral fishface. I liked new barkeep very much. Kept reminding me of Linda Hunt. And I like the idea that she's been around for 1000 years. Will be interesting to see what the holographic leader really is.

I've only read the OP on this thread, but I agree about Ben looking like a young Snape. I kept trying to figure that out during the film. It was good to see Han and Leia reuniting about helping their son. When Han saw him on the bridge, I had an idea of what was going to happen. Strong echoes of ep. 4. I was hoping Han would say "I love you" or "I forgive you" before falling--but that last caring touch was wonderful.

I like Rey a lot. Probably Luke's kid, or from the extended family. And what about Finn?

I like the new droid--BB4? And the back story of R2 powering down for years, then waking up for BB4 was good. C3P0 was his usual, annoying self...though he does catch on a little more quickly than he used to. (Scene with Leia and Han.) And it was wonderful to see Chewbacca again!!!

When I heard that Lucas sold SW to Disney, I was angry and maybe questioned his sanity. But JJ Abrams did a good job, and did not make it into a Disney film. I think he set up enough story and possibilities for at least a couple more films. I'm excited! [Smile]

Posted by Eliab (# 9153) on :

Saw it yesterday and liked a lot of it.

Rey is obviously brilliant. Finn is, I think, the most convincing protagonist in an action movie I have ever seen, because he basically spends the entire film looking genuinely scared. And, really, you would be, if anything like that happened in real life.

My favourite moment of the film is when Finn sees Rey getting mugged by two bazaar goons, and you can see that he's going to intervene to save her, but he's exhausted, and nervous, and just at the point of screwing up enough courage - by which time, Rey has recovered and laid out both attackers. That was beautifully done.

Worst bit was the utterly unconvincing planetary super-weapon. I don't care that it was a re=worked Death Star. I liked the Death Star. What made it shit was the whole 'drain the sun to blow up a planet' thing. It's as if the director hadn't learned that stars are, in fact, quite a bit bigger than planets, and if you are designing a machine to destroy planets, doing it by means of first destroying a star is going to make the task many orders of magnitude harder. It would be like swallowing a bonfire in order to light your own farts.

And if the stupid fucking thing drains the sun every time it's fired, I'm guessing that someone lost the page of the design spec headed "Reusability". Unless, of course, it's capable (as the Death Star was) of interstellar travel, in which case, why not fly it to the system you're attacking and drain their sun, rather than one of your own?

I know Star Wars is space opera, not hard sci-fi, but that bit of the movie was, frankly, moronic, and I had to work very hard on my suspension of disbelief to avoid having it spoil what was otherwise a very good film.

(Kylo Ren - yes, I liked the fact that he wasn't a fully-formed villain. It was great for the character, and it was played brilliantly. But it did leave the film with truly evil things being done by the First Order, without any real focus on a character who was thoroughly evil. Which I think is a weakness for the film as a whole.)

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

I was impressed with the special effects when the space ships were over water,and the water got all churned up.
And I thought Han looked awful, poor chap - but nobody seems to be criticising the way he's aged.
And I'm afraid I found myself speaking some of the lines as they happened, which kind of shows how well I know the characters - like when Rey said "This is the ship that did the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs?" I said "12 parsecs" at exactly the same time as Han!
Oh, and it's BB8!

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
...And I thought Han looked awful, poor chap - but nobody seems to be criticising the way he's aged...

Some of the stuff I've read is implying that the younger male audience is fine with Carrie Fisher looking older as that is what a general ought to look like. It's some of the ones who are stuck on the gold bikini that have a problem.

My favourite bit was Rey yelling at Finn for trying to hold her hand whilst running. I've been waiting for someone in an action film to say that for years.

Totally!
quote:
Carrie Fischer apparently sent out one of her trademark lightning bolt tweets in response to people picking on her unbotoxed face, and one of her (very young, male) fans replied that General Organa looked like "a seasoned, war hardened soldier" and therefore exactly the way a general should.

And again I am noting the generational thing- it seems to be the Gen X crowd, only slightly younger than Fischer herself, that is emitting squick about her visible signs of age. Young men think she's a badass, young women want to be her. It's those of an age to be worried about their own encroaching mortality that seem to be making the most noise.
As for me-- twelve years away from it, but if I accrue half the character and individuality Fischer has by the time I am 59, I will count myself accomplished.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Oh, and it's BB8!

When a point was made that the BB unit was in a unique white and orange colour, I thought it strange that other, normal coloured BB units were not on the film.

Posted by Alwyn (# 4380) on :

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wasn't a fan of the director's first Star Trek reboot movie (with apologies to people who loved it), but I enjoyed his take on Star Wars. For me, The Force Awakens seemed to 'go with the grain' of the previous films more than the Star Trek reboot did.

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
... Rey is obviously brilliant. Finn is, I think, the most convincing protagonist in an action movie I have ever seen ... Worst bit was the utterly unconvincing planetary super-weapon. ... And if the stupid fucking thing drains the sun every time it's fired, I'm guessing that someone lost the page of the design spec headed "Reusability".

I agree! If only the bad guys could come up with a new plan, rather than 'let's make yet another big round planet-killing super weapon'. I agree with people who said that it's odd for the good guys to be the Resistance when they won last time. I enjoyed both the old and the new characters a lot. I liked the desert planet with the wreckage of old hardware lying in the sand - just one of many echoes of the old movies which worked for me.

And they don't seem to realize that draining a sun is a =fine= weapon just there. Drain that sun and use the energy elsewhere. Leave your enemy in the dark to turn into a gigantic ball of ice, the oceans freezing, photosynthesis grinding to a halt, animals dying in droves. What's not to like? But you get no keen aerial battles that way.

Posted by Alwyn (# 4380) on :

Good point!

Yeah, really, if you have the technology to drain suns, why not use it to power your vast home entertainment system and then sit back and play video games while your enemies freeze to death? Building the sun-powered weapon is a totally unnecessary intermediate step.

Not to mention using to to blast apart those aforesaid balls of ice that used to be the planets in the system. Actually you would need all the energy, to move your sun-sucking weapon to another system. If you want to use it again (and surely it would be inefficient to build a weapon you can only use once) you need to move it to a new target.

quote:
Totally!
quote:

Apologies, Kelly. [Hot and Hormonal] I'd read it elsewhere as well and had forgotten you'd got there first.

I could live without the couple of comments I've seen from journalists who seem to think that dodgy comments are what you would expect of anyone who enjoys watching fantasy films [Roll Eyes]

Posted by goperryrevs (# 13504) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Will be interesting to see what the holographic leader really is.

Why, it's Jar Jar Binks [Biased]

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Kye-Lo-Ren was great up until the point he took his mask off. Distinct whiff of Bane from The Dark Knight Rises but then he just turned into teenage Snape.

My thought exactly.

Well, not quite exactly. My actual thought was a teenage Snape with much better hair care products,

But here's what bothers me: If Luke has vanished and has been missing all these years, and if no one knew where he was, then who put the map that says "here he is!" together? Did I miss some quick but vital bit of explanation on that, perhaps while I was wondering how long I'd be able to make it before slipping out for a quick bathroom break?

Clearly, it was Luke himself.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Clearly, it was Luke himself.

That thought occurred to me, but that seemed very unsatisfying and . . . odd. He vanishes, upset at what has become of his star pupil, and goes in search of the first Jedi Temple (meaning, presumably, he doesn't know where he's going), and yet here and there he leaves bits and pieces of a here's–where–to–find–me map? Really?

I can't speak to his motives, which are clearly going to Be Revealed in a Later Movie. But it is the only logical solution given the data we have. The equivalent of "I don't want email and cell phone, but if there's a death in the family and you really have to get hold of me, send a note to this post office in Montana and I'll see it when I go in once a month for supplies."

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

Space Opera it definitely was - great term for it. If someone had compiled a list of boxes to tick to create a Star Wars spin off movie, then every one of the boxes got ticked. But it was comfortably satisfying, and leaves you willing to go back for the next instalment - surely just what the producers want, right?

Best moment for me - seeing Chewbacca 'going ape' after Solo falls.

Prediction: just as this movie was about signing off on the character of Han Solo, the next one will be about signing off on the character of Luke Skywalker and the last one will be about signing off on the character of Leia Organa.
Not sure if Rey will be the replacement for all three - but it looks like she has the potential to be, before the franchise leaves the galaxy in a far far better way than we have ever known before.

Loved the new female lead - Daisy and the writers got it right. Tick.
Loved the heart-throbby ace Po. A tick for all those who love Italian formula one race car drivers.
Loved the character of FiN - now we know why the clone army had to be eliminated. A tick for those who love to see African American leads.
Loved the character of Maz. A tick for those who needed to see a mystic equivalent to Yoda ( derivative surely of Gaia - Whoopi Goldberg's Star Trek character).
Bits for the kids - BB8 is super cute and franchisable in so many ways - especially for the Japanese market. Nods to C3PO - still annoyingly in the way and R2D2 - although it seemed like the script writers were struggling to give them anything to do that made any sense.
Loved seeing Han and Chewbacca still roaming the galaxy together. After the well documented health struggles of Ford, Fisher and Hamill, it was good to see them in action again.
Fisher had the hardest role - a Princess and a general. A worried mother who couldn't leave her post, and an ex-lover of someone still frequently MIA. So much to get across in so few lines.
Ticks to all three.
Ticks to all the Dark Force bits that have become so well known - the voice in the mask, the trembling minions, the ability to throttle with a look and a gesture. The shady master.

And of course the symbolic draining of the light - when the sun goes out and Solo junior turns to the darkness. This really made me smile - because I am always telling my children to "Swim towards the Light" when they are feeling engulfed by feelings or circumstances of doom. I could feel every parent's pain at that point. Big tick from me.

So much opera. And so much of it rightly so. May the Force continue. Looking forward to the next one. I bet it's already in post production. They can't leave it too long if Fisher and Hamill have major parts.

[Razz]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Banner Lady:
quote:
Loved the character of Maz. A tick for those who needed to see a mystic equivalent to Yoda ( derivative surely of Gaia - Whoopi Goldberg's Star Trek character).
I really liked her, too, a wise ancient woman who ran a bar. But just a point of info, Whoopi's character was named "Guinan".

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

Ah yes - getting my Captain Planet mixed up with my Captain Picard. Live long enough and they all start running into each other.... [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Mr Clingford (# 7961) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Loved the character of FiN - now we know why the clone army had to be eliminated. A tick for those who love to see African American leads.

I was slightly confused that British John Boyega used an American accent.

Here is a vid in which John Boyega answers that question.
Star Wars has always been a mix of British and American accents to me so I never gave it a thought. I sort of agree with his, and Abrams' decision. Though I think it could have been solved with diction rather than a change of nationality.

I loved that a black character has dimension. Not a caricature or stereotype. I think JB did a fantastic job.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Finally got to see it today! Loved it... but the same quibble as others have mentioned about the weapon. In fact, how did they use it the first time, on the Republic, and then still have a sun left to use it again?

I was slightly spoilerized, I knew there was a major character death, just not whose, and I wasn't even thinking of it when Han was killed, so it came as a shock, as it should.

Loved the new characters. Worthy successors to the old ones. Even Ren being a pouty, pimply teenager.

One question, did it ever say who the old man at the beginning who gave the map to Po was? The opening identified him as an "old friend", but I didn't recognize him and I don't think they ever mentioned his name.

Last night, I was honored to be able to watch Star Wars with St. Sebastian, who had not seen it yet. This was view number four for me, and I see new things each time.

Since I know what's going on regarding the main story, now I can pay attention to other details that make the story feel like someone's real life. One such thing is the doll that looks like an X-Wing pilot in Rey's AT-AT home.

Anyway, St. S was very excited about the movie, and we talked about it and the original three all the way to his car!

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
One question, did it ever say who the old man at the beginning who gave the map to Po was? The opening identified him as an "old friend", but I didn't recognize him and I don't think they ever mentioned his name.

Wookiepedia is your friend - to this and many other questions!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
... but the same quibble as others have mentioned about the weapon. In fact, how did they use it the first time, on the Republic, and then still have a sun left to use it again?

I didn't mind the sun draining, or the new-sun-finding - such things are explainable given the level of technology that has been achieved in this universe.

The bit that pissed me off was how instantaneous the whole thing was. A planet launches an attack on some other planets in a completely different star system, and it strikes home in about fifteen seconds? That's some faster-than-faster-than-light shit going on there! Even in-universe hyperdrive-powered spaceships wouldn't do the journey that quickly, and they can make point five past lightspeed!

But maybe the weapon fires super-duper-hyperdrive-capable beams. OK. So how in the name of Jabba's piano-playing elephant did the people on the weapon planet see it happen so quickly? Even if the attack itself only took fifteen seconds it should still have taken decades for the beams of light they're looking at light to reach them.

And don't give me any "they were in the same system" crap. Firstly, they clearly weren't because the Republic system still had a working sun, and secondly someone on Jupiter could attack Earth and there would still be a good half hour gap between the attack hitting home and it being visible to the attacker. And Jupiter is by no means the furthest planet from Earth in our solar system. Space Is BIG.

As for the fact that a group of people on a third unrelated planet were apparently able to look up at the sky and watch the whole thing go down in real time as well - that's just Binks-level bullshit.

That's my only problem with the movie, but boy is it a big one.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Next thing you'll be complaining that no planet has more than one ecosystem. Or that no two locations on any given planet are more than a couple of hours apart at subsonic speeds.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I do rather agree with Marvin - despite not having seen it yet.

People have no sense of scale. Dr Who with people living, unchanged, for 4 1/2 billion years (wasn't it) - as a friend says, if you can't tell the difference between that and waiting for a 68 bus...

It's one of the problems with creationists.

Terry Pratchett, in "Only You Can Save the World" had a character who devised a computer game on a voyage to Alpha Centauri, which worked in real time. Fifth quote down.

SW VI was the same though. Everyone knew the Emperor was dead at the same time. And had time to order the fireworks in.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

As for the fact that a group of people on a third unrelated planet were apparently able to look up at the sky and watch the whole thing go down in real time as well - that's just Binks-level bullshit.

Not going to tell you what you should like or dislike. But Binks and the obvious science flaws are entirely different issues.
There is no level system to compare them.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Did anyone else see Rey's transport (incidentally, I loved the near-dead planet strewn with wreckage), and think Massey Ferguson 35, or was it just me?

AG

That's exactly what I thought of! Rey's transport is a wee bit faster than the tractor I used to drive when I was a kid. [Biased]

Posted by Timothy the Obscure (# 292) on :

I thought of my uncle's old Farmall 100, but it's pretty much the same thing.

My first and continued thought the entire time it was on screen was how inefficient a vehicle it was for a scavenger.
But I think this is more what they were trying to imply.

[ 02. February 2016, 17:25: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by MSHB (# 9228) on :

Of course a long time separates the first trilogy and this new movie ... and we have seen other movie series in the meantime.

So when Rey and Kylo Ren are fighting in the snow and they both try to fetch the light sabre, all I could think was: "The wand chooses the wizard".

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

LOL, MSHB.

Indiana Jones Easter Egg in The Force Awakens

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

I just saw it for the second time, and i think it holds up to repeated viewings, though the main plot holes still remain.

© Ship of Fools 2016