Thread: Why are there several locked threads in Heaven Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029469

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

?

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

Are they by any chance *annual* threads ?

[ 01. January 2016, 16:22: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

They do appear to be annual or ongoing threads that need renewing.

Yes, they are, DT.
But can someone explain the logic?
For advice threads, such as the photography and gardening, they contain information that people might wish to reference later. Yes, threads may be archived, but if the subject is the same, why? Is there a limit on pages per thread in the software? Does it offend the senses of the hosts?

[ 01. January 2016, 16:32: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

It can be very off putting to new posters if they are faced with a fifty page thread. The threads are not in themselves indexed, so when they are really long it is difficult to use them as an effective reference resource as "I think the answer to that question appears on page 17 or maybe 44" involves so much searching the question / debate may as well be answered again.

Also rebooting gives an opportunity to have a new conversation.

(Note: I am obviously replying to this in a personal capacity as I don't host the relevant board, but I think is something that comes up on all boards from time to time.)

[ 01. January 2016, 17:15: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

There is no software related thread length limit (though it may mean the search function doesn't work properly on it ... but as the search function doesn't work properly anyway that's not a particularly important consideration), just look at the UBB practice thread or several DH threads.

However, there does come a point where a long thread becomes unmanageable from the human interaction point of view. Long threads could be used as a reference, but who is going to have (say) a question about cameras and read the whole thread to see if it's already been asked? Even a "I think that's been answered" may result in taking a lot of time to find the relevant posts.

The decision whether to let an old thread run or start a new one is for the hosts to make. But, at the end of the day these are discussion boards not a reference library. If they consider a fresh start to be something that will encourage discussion then that is what will happen.

Valid, Alan, not that you need my approval.

I would do it differently, but I'm not doing it, so fair enough.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

We do something like this every year.

For very much the reasons given above.

Call it a seasonal impulse to refresh (even though you know life will go on exactly as before).

© Ship of Fools 2016