Thread: Rene Girard Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029572

Posted by tclune (# 7959) on :

I haven't frequented this site of late, so maybe I missed it. But I did not notice any mention of Rene Girard's passing. There was what I thought to be a fitting tribute in The Week in case you missed it. Perhaps some discussion of his impact on contemporary theology would be in order.

For me, his focus on the anthropology of the cross (what were we doing there as an entry into the meaning of the crucifixion) is a particularly useful vantage point on a difficult topic.

How has Girard influenced your approach to Christianity?

--Tom Clune

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Undoubtedly, his critique of the human tendency to scapegoat. It illuminates every single justice issue.

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

That is very sad news. I had missed it. His legacy has worked its way into my consciousness. I have a vague memory of a couple of threads regarding him a good while ago and I think TClune and I danced around some of his ideas. I think it was stated at one point that the heart of love was all a bit too sentimental...or something? Perhaps I am remembering it wrongly (in all likelihood, very wrongly!). Still, I still return to him and likely will for many years to come.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
How has Girard influenced your approach to Christianity?

As mediated by James Alyson, his thought made me even more concinved of the wrongfulness of penal substitutionary atonement.

Also of the futility of all war, however 'just' the cause.

© Ship of Fools 2016