Thread: Cold calls. Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029601

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

How do you treat cold callers, how do you think they should be treated?

What can be done about them?

One bloke converted his number to an 0845 number and kept them talking as long as possible. (you pay a lot to ring 0845 numbers in the UK)

Or do you think the cold callers should be treated as criminals as Enoch does?

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
But, most of the calls here are from criminals abroad trying to get access to your computer and/or your personal bank details. Or from bucket shops abroad trying to sell fake financial products. All these are criminal here but they are outside the range of our criminal law.

Perhaps you don't get this is the US, but these people are vermin and need to be handled as vermin.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

If you mean telemarketers, well I have never actually tried this but am sorely tempted.

I either hang up straight away or say "thank-but-no-thanks-goodbye" in a single breath and then hang up. Assuming there is a human being on the other end of the line, I figure you owe them a basic minimum of courtesy, but nothing else.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

It's some years old. So I assume you've all seen this youtube.

Posted by Jack o' the Green (# 11091) on :

I have caller ID on my landline phone. If I don't recognise the number or it doesn't come up, I don't pick up.

Posted by opaWim (# 11137) on :

Here in The Netherlands we have an official agency where you can register as call-me-not.
Telemarketers are legally obliged to abide by that register.
When they still call you, you can file a complaint. If enough complaints are filed, they get fined.

I registered as call-me-not.
My reaction when I still get called depends on my mood. When I am in a forgiving mood I only file a complaint.
In a less forgiving mood I try to find out if they represent one of the usual disreputable suspects, and if so I engage them in a conversation about integrity, job-satisfaction etc.
Trying to derail them from their script, drawing them into a nonsense discussion, or just fall silent, are three more possibilities.

The problem I have with getting pissed-off by telemarketers is that I realize that not few of them have been forced into that work by the unemployment agency.
In that respect it's noteworthy that a few years back a branch of that unemployment agency tried to force unemployed into the sex-industry on pain of losing their unemployment benefits. That didn't wash, but tele-marketing apparently has a better status than the sex-industry.

P.s. Not taking calls from unknown callers means that legitimate callers, e.g. my dentist, the hospital, my telecom-provider, can't reach me.

[ 19. December 2015, 13:09: Message edited by: opaWim ]

Posted by chris stiles (# 12641) on :

In the UK too there is the Telephone Preference Service, where you can register if you don't want cold calls.

Unfortunately, only the scrupulous vendors do this - and the ones who are likely to call you are the unscrupulous ones.

Changes in telecoms technology also mean that out of country providers can easily get hold of a UK number for presentation purposes.

In general I am normally polite - unless it's a genuine scam like those 'Microsoft Support Calls' - as usually the person at the other end probably doesn't know - at least to start with - that their call isn't allowed.

In any case, shouting at the person at the other end dosn't cost the actual company anything, keeping them on the phone on the other hand does.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

I have to answer the phone in my day job. There, I am forced to be quite nice. I have therefore declared a family policy at home, that Mom does not answer the phone. It is only very occasionally, therefore (usually when I am the only one at home) that I do answer the phone with freedom. And I use that liberty. Creativity is my second nature; I never do anything twice if I can help it.
One of the factors is that I live in a purple state -- a state in hot political contention between the two parties. And this coming year is an election year! I would judge that fully three quarters of the calls we get at home are from people running for office. The rest are almost all from people who purport to be informing me about a serious virus in my computer software.
The whole point of the exercise, at that point, is freedom. I am free, at home, to let inspiration have a loose rein. I have happily asked the computer people whether their virus patch will make the cup holder in my hard drive turn from vertical to horizontal. And my happiest moment with one of the political callers was when my son happened to pass by and I was able to hand the phone over to him -- it was a call from the campaign he volunteers for, and he was able to say "Jim! It's Simon -- don't call this number, it's my house!"

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

If it is a marketing call, I say "Sorry I am not interested" and put the phone down. I don't even listen. In truth, very few people call our landline, so I am always aware that there is a high possibility of an unwanted call.

On my mobile, I tend not to answer if it is not a number I know, which handles most agents and other unwanted callers.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
If you mean telemarketers, well I have never actually tried this but am sorely tempted.

I'm actually more than tempted, for selfish reasons, though not malignant ones.

I tend to be awkward and uncomfortable in improvised/ unscripted social situations. I've noticed this has gotten worse in the last few years as I've come to rely more on email/ chatting on the ship or fb over the phone. It makes real life face to face unscripted conversations with strangers (coffee fellowship at church, social mixers, parties with a lot of strangers) even more awkward. The script above is fairly benign and looks like a good way to practice asking generic questions perfect for those sorts of difficult social situations.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

...although the one in the youtube video would be more fun. Perfect for an improv class/ aspiring actor...

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

I hate cold callers because they always interrupt my train of thought.

I paricularly loathe computer scammers who claim that my computer is sending out 'error messages' - vulnerable people often believe them and follow instructions that wreck their computer and then have to pay a lot of money to correct it.

However, I try to be polite when answering any call - because it might be a parishioner or a funeral director.

I try to remember that the caller is a human being and probably working very hard to earn money to feed their kids etc.

I try to get the number they are phoning from so that I can report them.

[ 19. December 2015, 14:57: Message edited by: leo ]

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Ever since I went on to the (Canadian) do-not-call list, the number of calls I received have rocketed to not-quite-nothing. However, our laws allow charities and political parties to call. In the former case, I tell them to write to me and I will look at the information--- if they say that is not how they operate, I regretfully inform them that it is how I do. As well, when they inform me (as they must) that the call is being recorded, I tell them that they may not do so, and the call then must end. However, they are humans and this is what they do for a living, so I do the polite-but-firm approach. Sometimes charity callers are unpleasant ("why do you not help out wretched children? how can you sleep with your vile and suppurating conscience?") and when they do that, I ask to be put to their supervisor and formally request to go off their list, which they then must do.

Political calls often do an informal issues-poll as part of their approach when they are identifying supporters and I look at this as an opportunity to help form their thinking. Sometimes the questions are formed to lead to a certain answer (NDP and Conservatives were bad at this) and I have to tell them that the question is poorly drafted. When the Conservative candidate's volunteers called me about the niqab ban they were proposing, I just mentioned that I learned in Grade IX than it is nobody's business what the girls are wearing and if (then Immigration Minister) Jason Kenney had more dates at high school he would know that it's foolish to try to do so. If I am really annoyed with a candidate, I try to amuse the poor caller by suggesting that the candidate sign up for Tindr-for-teddybears or take up haiku composition rather than run for Parliament.

I am still on some US calling lists so can either tell them that I am on the Canadian do-not-call-lists, or that my English is too poor to understand them. They can be very argumentative as they try to sell me timeshares in Las Vegas so I tell them that, like many bearded Canadians, I am barred from travel to the US.

But then again, I have time to do this as a retired person and I am the sort of person who lectured the JW door canvasser today on the problems of the Masoretic text and how one treats the Apocrypha. I gave him a spare copy of Northrop Frye's "The Great Code." I hope that he likes it.

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

When a caller begins with a long pre-amble of "Hi, my name is x how are you today?" I find that what really rattles them is me saying "Get on with it. What do you want?".
Also, answering "Yes" at intervals in a monotone really puts them off their stride. Sometimes they hang up on me!
And there was one person who was obviously trying a scam - I laid into him and told him he should be ashamed of himself, and he couldn't put the phone down quick enough.
Or the ones who said that they could get me lower bills with BT, who got very cagey when I asked why they couldn't just send the information with my next bill, and then admitted that they were nothing to do with BT at all.
Oh! and then there was the consumer company who rang me 14 times over a period of time. Yes, I was keeping count, because I told them each time how many times they'd rung me so far, and how often I'd told them I wasn't interested.

I appreciate that most of these people are only doing a job, and that it's difficult to find jobs these days, but I only have so much patience, and I really don't think cold callers deserve politeness - and the scammer was definitely not an innocent party!

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
I have caller ID on my landline phone. If I don't recognise the number or it doesn't come up, I don't pick up.

OMG! Seriously folks, all the angst and acrimony and all it takes is this, simple solution.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I haven't had one for a while, but I'm going to tell them I can't hear them, so they have to shout increasingly loudly. With luck it might embarrass them into hanging up. This was prompted by the last such call I had, which appeared to be from somewhere with a lot of people chatting and traffic going by.

"Private number" on caller ID can be a variety of things including medical staff, government or council employees, etc who may be making legitimate calls. However, most genuine people will leave a message if needs be.

Posted by Fineline (# 12143) on :

I mostly manage to avoid them, but when I don't, I see the person making the call as a human being, and tell them politely but firmly that I'm not interested.

Once, years ago, I was at my dad's house and I answered the phone to some young guy doing some kind of telemarketing. I said I wasn't the home owner, and he wanted to know when he could call my dad, and I explained my dad was busy all week except Sunday, and that my dad would be very tired on Sunday from working all week, and that he gets in a bad mood when he's tired, and would likely shout at a telemarketer who called him on a Sunday, so it wasn't a good idea to phone him at all, especially as he's not interested in telemarketing stuff. The telemarketing guy was laughing and saying he wanted to ask me the questions anyway, even though he officially wasn't supposed to, because I made him laugh and I was fun to talk to, and this was the best conversation he'd had all day. So I figured it must be quite a boring and unpleasant job, because I really wasn't being funny! They must get a lot of people being rude to them - a thankless job, and often done by young people trying to make some money to support themselves while they're studying.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

My Mum has the best response: "Hm, I don't know how you got this number, because I don't have a telephone."

I have had good luck simply not listening to pitches about my software bugs, and every now and then saying, "Hello!"
Political callers who demand my opinion are informed that my views are so valuable (I mean they keep on telling me they are, right? Surely they would not lie to me?) that I charge for dispensing them. The rage is $10 a minute and I take Paypal. Have never had a taker, but if I ever do I will give value for my money.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

We are with the telephone preference scheme, and most British callers recognise it and will say they will take my number off their systems when I ask them to
We have had a lot of calls recently from what sounds like an Indian call centre, before 8.30am and purporting to come from TalkTalk. I managed to get one caller to give me a phone number so that "Darllenwr could ring them back when he came home from work" I reported the call to TalkTalk who blocked the number, but it hasn't stopped similar calls. The other morning, I had someone ask if I was Mrs. Darllenwr's first name. I just said "no".

Posted by Humble Servant (# 18391) on :

I always start by asking where the got my number from. I ask what they're selling and they invariably say they're not selling, just doing a survey. I remind them that I am with the TPS and that sugging is not a legal way round the regulations. I then ask them to remove my details from their database. When they say that they will mark it as not to be called, I insist that they confirm that they are going to delete my details.
It rarely works - I often get the same company phoning me day after day.

Seeing this topic on this site has made me think that I should perhaps talk to them about Jesus. I might make their call less futile to both of us.

Posted by p cooper (# 17964) on :

i give them a few minutes and then ask if they can wait whilst i put my metal helmet on. i dont want the electromagnetic waves from the phone to warm my brain and give me brain cancer.
they must be very worried about this being on the phone all the time. i could send them a helmet if they wanted . they would thank me when everyone else in the office got brain cancer and they didnt ...........
frosoem reason they end the conversation. they will remember me whent hey get brain cancer . [Killing me]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

OMG! Seriously folks, all the angst and acrimony and all it takes is this, simple solution.
Another vote for this (although Ricardus's mom sounds really, really cool. [Big Grin] ) if you don't know the number, let it go, if you check voicemail and find it is a number you want, name it in contacts.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Political callers who demand my opinion are informed that my views are so valuable (I mean they keep on telling me they are, right? Surely they would not lie to me?) that I charge for dispensing them. The rage is $10 a minute and I take Paypal. Have never had a taker, but if I ever do I will give value for my money.

Back when I used to get a lot of "survey" calls, I'd explain that since they were getting paid to ask me questions, I should certainly be paid at least as much for answering them. (I'm still waiting for my check...)

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

The trick is to start talking first. "Hello computer dialing person, where are you calling from?" Once location is confirmed, ask how the weather is, and hang up after the answer.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I do try not to be rude. The people on the other end are youngsters on minimal wage doing a job that they can, and I admire them for that. I just have no interest, so I firmly put the phone down.

It does irritate me when they try things like "I am not selling anything" (they are), or "you answered a survey six months ago" (I probably didn't and I don't care anyway).

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
And there was one person who was obviously trying a scam - I laid into him and told him he should be ashamed of himself

This may not be a good plan. Your number may be forwarded to others just for harrassment as revenge.

quote:
Originally posted by lilbuddha:
Seriously folks, all the angst and acrimony and all it takes is this, simple solution.

Not an option if you are working from home and new clients may call.
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
The trick is to start talking first. "Hello computer dialing person, where are you calling from?"

Confirms to their computer dialling system that your line is a real one and that there is a human on the other end, thus validating it for further cold calls.

If a dodgy-looking number calls, a better idea is to wait for a few seconds before saying anything. Many robodiallers will hang straight up if there's no human reply. The background noise will probably tell you if it's a call centre, and the first words of the caller will tell you more. I never confirm my name to a suspect caller, and if they dance around the subject I ask "what is the purpose of your call?"

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

I get these at work but not at home. I always very quickly give a polite no thank you and usually they will ring off with both of us in a good mood - presumably they realise that it would waste their time to continue (as well as mine). However some do try to continue and I see these as fair game for rudeness - is it the N or the O that you don't understand?

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I let all calls go to my answering machine unless I am expecting a specific call. The reason I started doing this is that I have serious hearing problems, and with an answering machine I can keep repeating the message over and over if it sounds important. If it is important, I call back immediately.

One fringe benefit is that at least two out of three callers hang up when the answering machine kicks in. I save a lot of time not answering the phone, not to mention avoiding the aggravation of cold callers.

Moo

Posted by TonyK (# 35) on :

After many calls from people trying to sell things or fix my computer, I signed up to the UK's Telephone Preference Service. That cut down many of the calls.

Now I am plagued with calls purporting to come from the 'Microsoft Service Centre' (or some similar description) or, more frequently since TalkTalk suffered so many hacks, from the 'TalkTalk engineer centre'.

To the former I simply say that I don't believe them and hang up; for the latter I say that I'm too busy to work with them at the moment, but if they'll give me the fault log number, I'll call them back on the published phone number for TalkTalk faults in about an hour or two. Works every time - they usually hang up straight away!

I also use caller id. and if the number is clearly false (too short or too many leading zeros)or withheld I don't answer the phone. If it's legitimate they'll always leave a message.

Seems to be working OK - and if Mrs TonyK answers the phone she simply says that I'm out, and she doesn't know when I'll be back!

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Depends on my mood and how often I get call backs after I have requested they do not phone again.

I usually just hang up, but sometimes have been known to ask if they have been exposed to the Mormon faith and quickly go into a story of Joseph Smith and his magic glasses in which case they are usually quick to hang up.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

If I can, I check the ID and don't pick up clearly dodgy numbers. If I get an iffy one and pick up only to find a telemarketer, I do the polite "not interested" thing. If the telemarketer insists on making a jackass of himself after the polite brush off, I say tersely, "Officer? Are you listening? Yes, this is the call I want you to trace," and so on. Gets a hang up right away.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

If I don't know the number, I text back with 'Hello?'. I love it. It can create a voicemail. One that worked like a charm with a repeat weird nuisance caller was pick up and say nothing at all BACK. If anyone asks my name, I ask theirs. Answer as your phone, offer to take a message for yourself.

Once, when I had had my cup of coffee, I did reply, "You have reached the home of a US Army officer. Drones have been enabled. Laser targeting locked on. Roger that, sir. Countdown to impact, ten, nine, eight..." At that point the caller hung up. I hope he scurried outside. If I had had time I would have gone on, "You may hear a loud noise. Do not be alarmed. Any pain you feel will be temporary. When you see a bright light, walk towards it. St. Peter will direct you."

Posted by Jack o' the Green (# 11091) on :

In my picking up days (might have to rephrase that) "Hello City Morgue, you kill 'em, we chill 'em" worked a treat.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

The doorstep callers I try to be polite because years ago I shut the door in someone's face and felt awful about it – he was JW, I think, and he looked like a really nice man.
Now I tell them I'm a presbyterian lay preacher busy preparing a sermon, invite them to go and find someone unchurched, and wish them well. I once went on to invite some LDS to pray with me; they bowed their heads nicely but I did all the praying.
If they're actually selling something (like change to our electricity provider) I tell them that anyone who sends a representative to my house uninvited gets struck off my list, ie if I decide to consider such a change I'll do the research and consider anyone but their employer.

The telephone ones who have undecipherable accents and a cheap crackly international connection I tell them not interested and hang up.
The nice ones calling for a known respectable charity I explain that I'm a pensioner who supports half a dozen charities and much as I respect their work I can't add any more to my list.

GG

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I have reacted in various ways depending what sort of mood I'm in. As we are supposed to be on the do not call register, I'm starting to think that they have us listed as do call register. Strange isn't it that you get someone called Jeremy who has a very Indian accent.

Some things I have tried are:
-Say that we don't give money over the phone.
-Hand the phone to 2 year old grand daughter who loves to chat.
-Ask them to give me their phone number so I can call them back as the baby has been sick all down me (they hang up immediately)
-Tell them that I don't call them at their home so why do they call me.
-Blow a whistle at them (mainly if they are very persistent).
-Just hang up immediately.
-Say hang on I'll be with you in five minutes and walk away from the phone for as long as it takes.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Secretaries have been known to tell such a caller that they are being forwarded to someone higher up--and then either put the caller on hold or transfer them to a non-existent extension.

There used to be a scam where someone would call an office asking if the office needed to order a refill of X, then get the info and hang up. Trouble was, they weren't from the usual vendor, and generally would avoid mentioning any vendor name. So if they caught a secretary on a bad day, or a newbie who didn't know how things were usually ordered, the scammer might get the person to set up an order. Sometimes, this was done by a competitor of the regular vendor.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
There used to be a scam where someone would call an office asking if the office needed to order a refill of X, then get the info and hang up. Trouble was, they weren't from the usual vendor, and generally would avoid mentioning any vendor name. So if they caught a secretary on a bad day, or a newbie who didn't know how things were usually ordered, the scammer might get the person to set up an order. Sometimes, this was done by a competitor of the regular vendor.

I used to get those a lot. They were calling me "from the warehouse" so they didn't have the model number of my copy machine in front of them since that was "at the office." But somehow they had my name and number at the warehouse? But they had a great deal on toner for my copier and just needed to verify the model and serial number. (If they managed to get a model number from someone they'd ship out inferior toner c.o.d.) I especially enjoyed getting these calls when I didn't even have a copy machine in my office.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
My Mum has the best response: "Hm, I don't know how you got this number, because I don't have a telephone."

[Big Grin] I must try to remember that next time I get a cold call. Mostly I just say 'No,' and put the phone down.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

Cath Tate has produced a card (available through Oxfam) upon which is a picture of an elderly lady with an elderly phone handset to her ear, and the caption "No, I don't want a unique bonus prize. Would you like to hear about my operation?" (There is a variant where it is double glazing she doesn't want to know about.) a copy is about to be sent to a software company who can sidestep the TPS arrangements because I have done business with them. (I had their stuff installed in school to enable the delivery of various curriculum projects. It's very good stuff.) Unfortunately, they want to get rid of loads of other stuff as well as their own, and ring up to sell bundled goods.

And for some inexplicable reason, I find it very hard to choke them off. If I spot their number, I leave it without picking up.

So they are getting that card, and a several page request, carefully produced with their own software, requesting that they desist.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

Like the line from the John Waters cult classic Pink Flamingos, when the mailman tries to deliver a special delivery package to Babs Johnson: "What do you mean, special delivery package? There's no address here!"

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Reminds me of my old friend Bob, II Para, down the Jolly Crispin:
"Pensioner me Martin, pensioner",
"What happened Bob?",
"Outside, buncha lads si'in on the curb, one asked me for a cigarette, I went" - mimes taking a huge gasp - "and said, I don't smoke.",
"What happened then?",
"One of um STOOD UP!",
"What did you do?",
"I showed 'em this.",
and he showed me. The Bowie knife in his inner jacket pocket. Not the one he'd killed his wife and her lover with in Berkeley Square in broad daylight mind.

Apparently the lad just sat down again. He only gets the Browning out of his boot on genuinely threatening occasions.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

"Mae ddrwg gen i, ond dw i ddim eisiau siarad ar y phon yn Saesneg. Fedrech chi'n siarad i mi yn Gymraeg? Nag medrech? Hwyl 'na"

"I'm sorry, but I don't want to speak on the phone in English. Could you speak to me in Welsh? No? Bye then"

And they say Welsh is useless...

[ 21. December 2015, 11:30: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Posted by Uriel (# 2248) on :

When they asked to speak to the homeowner, I used to put them onto my 3 year old daughter. She's now 11 and doesn't want to play, so my other approach is inform them that under the terms of the Data Protection Act I am requesting that they remove my details from their database and if I hear from them again they will hear from my solicitor.

The other trick I used on a persistent double glazing firm. After politely telling them several times that I wasn't interested and could they stop calling I eventually feigned interest and arranged an appointment for their salesman to come to see me. A few days later, when said salesman arrived, I informed him that I had no interest in purchasing anything from his company, and as they had wasted my time I had elected to waste his. Didn't even let hi into the house. He'd driven 20 miles to come and see me. Not heard anything back from that firm since.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Advice from an Aussie telemarketer on how to stop calls.

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

I just say, in a very polite voice, "This is an unsolicited call, and as I am registered with the telephone preference service, what you are doing is technically illegal. Please would you remove me from your mailing list. Thank you so much."
I haven't logged the calls to check if it actually works, I'm afraid.
If my 17 year old daughter answers they have a much worse time. She has been known to try to sell them items, speak in Japanese, suggest bizarre threats and I don't know what else.

Posted by toadstrike (# 18244) on :

I got one of those call screening and blocking things a couple of years ago. Works brilliantly. I think it's done itself out of a job though as I think my number has got onto a "don't waste your time" list. Haven't had a cold call for months.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

Unfortunately, most of the worst offenders are outside the jurisdiction. So they are neither blocked, nor breaking the law. I can see no reason why BT can't blanket block the lot of them or why the Regulator can't order it to do so. It must have their numbers.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
"Mae ddrwg gen i, ond dw i ddim eisiau siarad ar y phon yn Saesneg. Fedrech chi'n siarad i mi yn Gymraeg? Nag medrech? Hwyl 'na"

"I'm sorry, but I don't want to speak on the phone in English. Could you speak to me in Welsh? No? Bye then"

And they say Welsh is useless...

I keep meaning to try Welsh on cold callers, but only tend to think of it after I've got rid of them.

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

quote:
Originally posted by toadstrike:
...I think my number has got onto a "don't waste your time" list. Haven't had a cold call for months.

I wish that worked in our house. We don't have, and have never had, a television. This doesn't stop SKY ringing us every fortnight to ask if we want SKY. You'd think they'd have put us on a list years ago. Maybe they don't believe us.

The Do Not Call registries only have a partial effect around here. Today I got a call from someone doing a grocery survey. I told her my opinion is so valuable, I charge $10 a minute for it, did she want to buy? She said no.

One time when I explained that since the caller was being paid to ask questions I should be paid at least as much to answer them the poor befuddled phone survey caller actually went and asked her supervisor about payment. (The answer was "no.")
[Killing me]

Normally they just tell me that if I participate I'll be entered in a drawing for some fabulous prize.

Posted by simontoad (# 18096) on :

I like playing with unsolicited callers, depending on my mood. My aim when I feel like playing is to keep the caller on the phone for as long as I can. In another thread, I explained my wave power technique, which I like to use when people selling solar panels call.

However, my favorite calls are the microsoft scammers. I go into 'old man who knows nothing about computers yet who has a computer' mode and just try to string them out. One day I got one of these calls and let slip an expression of pleasure. The bloke on the other end must have picked it and asked me, "Sir, what do you think of Sachim Tendulkar." Now, one cannot joke about cricket, so I said, "One of the best batsmen ever to play the game." He said, "That is the correct answer", and hung up. I haven't had a microsoft scam call since. Bugger.

Posted by Landlubber (# 11055) on :

The last Microsoft scammer who called me, told me I was breaking the law. I asked if he would call back later when a Police Officer would be in the house. No impersonisation involved and a year later, he has still not rung back. Now if only I could find a solution to the recorded messages from firms ignoring the TPS ...

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by toadstrike:
I got one of those call screening and blocking things a couple of years ago. Works brilliantly. I think it's done itself out of a job though as I think my number has got onto a "don't waste your time" list. Haven't had a cold call for months.

I notce the same thing with my cell phone. I never pick up unless the number is familiar, or at least carrying a local prefix. I will get the same " unknown caller" for a week or two, then the never call again.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I have had cold calls from numbers which look local, but when I look more closely, afterwards, I find they are too short. I've quite a few on my personal blocked list now.

Posted by argona (# 14037) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Another vote for this (although Ricardus's mom sounds really, really cool. [Big Grin] ) if you don't know the number, let it go, if you check voicemail and find it is a number you want, name it in contacts.
I'll pick up just in case it's something sensible but if it's not (usually evident in 2-3 seconds) it'll be 'Sorry, no' and I kill the call. I've heard this is kindest to the poor souls who surely wouldn't do this miserable work if they had an alternative. They're monitored and required to keep the target talking at all costs, but no-one can blag to a dead line.

Posted by Chamois (# 16204) on :

I have an answering machine which screens out most of the rubbish. If I'm at home and a genuine call comes I pick up, otherwise I let the machine handle it.

Occasionally when I'm expecting a call I pick up on a cold caller. I always answer my own phone by saying simply, "hello?". The automated dialling systems these companies use don't connect immediately, so the caller doesn't hear my "hello" but after a moment I can hear the caller. If it's a cold-caller I say nothing at all and just wait for them to hang up. Most hang up quite quickly, but sometimes they will also stay on the line silently for a while. I think the poor people must be happy to take a short break from the work.

© Ship of Fools 2016