Thread: What is a sermon for? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029611

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

I have trouble listening to sermons, I drift away to some extent at the best of them. When I think of how long it might have taken to prepare them, I feel a little ashamed to admit this truth, but there it is.

Is a sermon supposed to make a difference to me, to inspire me into action, to inform me, to make me feel a part of it all, to challenge me, to challenge those outside of the church I'm in (who, after all, cant hear it?), to try to make sense of the scripture reading, to try to make sense of what's happening in the world, to worship and praise God ......?

Perhaps it's all of these things, in general? But what specifically do you think a sermon is for? What impact if any should it have on those hearing it?

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

I don't think every sermon need have an impact on every listener. I think if a sermon helps one person love God or love their neighbour more, then that's a success. At times that one person can even be the preacher.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Those are not uninteresting questions. I know some ministers and congregations which make a distinction between "teaching" - seen as explaining the Bible and imparting knowledge of the faith - and "preaching", which they regard as more inspirational or devotional. I'm not sure if this is a useful distinction, for surely the preacher hopes to inform their hearers and derive inspiration and challenge from that information.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I have to say, even when I was preaching I was not convinced by the value of traditional preaching (in the sense of a talk delivered in the middle of a service). Even with very good preachers, I am not sure that the process is a good one for either communicating information or encouraging a congregation.

For me, I think churches should consider what they want the "sermon slot" to do - is it teaching, is it inspiration, is it information? Then they need to use that time to perform that task in the most appropriate way.

So if it is inspiration, then forget the depth of theology, it is a time to tell people how important they are. If it is teaching, then talk to people, identify what they need to know and teach in groups to engage with people. If it is information, then maybe a powerpoint presentation, available in printed form later.

Or whatever. The traditional preaching style has become outdated as other teaching styles have taken over. So many people now hold onto the "preaching" style as something distinctly "Christian". It isn't, it is just outdated.

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

On my annual trip to church this Christmas Eve I found that the sermon had been replaced by a 'talk' in the order booklet. Is that a trend these days?

I tried to follow the vicar, but when she said that the shepherds were the Facebook of their day I switched off.

Posted by Bibaculus (# 18528) on :

A very good question indeed. And I sometimes wonder if the preacher knows the answer herself or himself.

I have heard excellent sermons. I have heard very poor sermons. But I can think of very few whose point I recall, indeed about which I recall anything (apart from maybe an amusing story) five minutes after it has ended.

That may say more about me than about the sermons I have heard, of course.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I want to be inspired.

Inspired to be a better person. I think the best sermons do this, but they are becoming rare, very rare.

Posted by Jenn. (# 5239) on :

I try to lift peoples eyes beyond themselves, so that they glimpse the presence of God among them. I am not sure I ever succeed.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

I feel both sympathy and admiration for preachers ... it's a hard call. How do you pitch something that will contain 'something' for everyone there on a Sunday morning or evening ... ?

For people who've been round the block so many times they're sermoned out ... for people who've hardly heard any sermons, for people with a good, basic grasp of the Christian narrative, for those with hardly any grasp at all ...

I'm afraid I'm like Raptor Eye - I tend to 'zone out' in sermons these days - no matter how good, bad or indifferent they are.

In fact, I'm not at all interested in sermons any more. I'd rather have the liturgy and nothing else.

Partly, I think, it's because I'm a contrary so-and-so and as soon as someone says something - anything - I'm immediately thinking of a counter-argument against it or looking for the loopholes ...

Perhaps it's Ship of Fools that has ruined the sermon for me ... [Big Grin] [Razz]

I've become Debate Man ...

[Big Grin]

That said, even though these days I feel 'higher' in my spirituality than the Baptists tend to be, I've long said that the best and most memorable sermons I've heard have tended to be in Baptist settings here in the UK.

That isn't to say that all Baptist preaching is wonderful -- but at its best it manages to be both informative and inspirational at one and the same time. I've known several Baptist ministers who 'wear their learning lightly' - and who are able to present even quite complex theological ideas in an engaging way.

Sadly, I find Anglican sermons generally disappointing. I've heard some good cathedral sermons though ...

At the 'higher' end of things you at least know that all you're going to get is a very short homily. Some of the best preachers I've heard at that end of the candle are able to pack a lot in to a short space ... but by and large all you get are short musings that you could have easily mused for yourself at home ...

There's no easy answer, I don't think.

There is, I believe, a great need for good, solid, well-rounded preaching.

Step forward the preachers ...

We need you.

Posted by hatless (# 3365) on :

Maybe it's important that we don't know and can't say what a sermon is for.

There are lots of good things it might be doing, most of which could be done better in other ways. I would describe it as an attempt at honesty in the presence of God's people and in relation to the liturgical calendar, scripture, news, and life of the congregation that provides a context.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

To my mind, a sermon exists primarily as a unifying symbol of tradition in any given (Protestant) church. There's been increasing doubt about the sermon for a while now, but I think the force of tradition is such that little can be done, regardless of the content or quality of modern preaching.

Unfortunately, the alternatives are problematic. The 'talk', as someone has said above, can be very lightweight. More controversially, I think relatively few British Christians are now receiving spiritual instruction from other sources. Some Christians have their small groups and Bible studies, and intellectual types read challenging books, have spiritual directors and go on retreats, but these represent a minority. For the rest of the churchgoing public, the loss of the sermon would probably represent yet more spiritual impoverishment.

(I realise that RCs and Orthodox Christians have other priorities in worship, so presumably this topic wouldn't be very meaningful to them.)

There are some preachers who seem to spend ages presenting some thought which they think is profound but which is patently obvious and banal; there are others who seem to finish their sermons just as they're getting to the interesting bit and so leave one unsatisfied ....

I would hope that - at the very least - the preacher would present me with something that made me think a bit about some aspect of my faith. And (vide Gamaliel) the very best of them seem to have a way of communicating on several different levels at once.

[ 30. December 2015, 13:15: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

I like what both hatless and Baptist Trainfan have said here ...

Context is everything.

I would suggest that the 'best' sermons occur when the particular conditions that both hatless and Baptist Trainfan have identified are in play ...

Namely, it 'fits' with the tenor and context of the particular congregation - whether they are following some kind of liturgical calendar or are passing on 'news' or addressing something topical and pertinent to them ...

And when, by some special alchemy, the sermon (and response?) is somehow greater than the individual sum of its constituent parts ...

Great preaching is like great poetry in that respect.

That doesn't mean that we should expect The Four Quartets or Paradise Lost every week ... nor that we couldn't benefit from Pam Ayres every now and again ...

[Big Grin]

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Sermoned-out, hymned-out and prayered-out me. What's left?

Apart from Communion of course.

I wouldn't like to think I'd ever get 'communioned' out ... but then, there'd still be the Quaker silence even if I did ... [Big Grin]

Nor do I think that there is no longer a place for sermons. Baptist Trainfan's are very good. I've read one on-line and I'm sure the others are equally as good.

I do believe there is a role for preaching and it's the sort of thing you 'recognise' when you see it ... as hatless says, you can't easily define and 'distil' these things ...

We can't put a magic bottle on a shelf with a label on which says, 'Drink twice a day and your sermons will be fine ...'

On a tangent for a moment -- whilst I agree with SvitlanaV2 that RC and Orthodox sermons seem to operate in a different kind of way to Protestant ones ... I've found that whenever I've heard RC or Orthodox clergy speaking at inter-church conferences they don't sound in any way dissimilar to Protestant speakers at those same conferences ...

They even use Power-Point slides, crack jokes, use anecdotes etc.

Some do 'preach like Protestants' in their own services to a certain extent ...

What I've found from those particular traditions isn't so much pithy or thought-provoking things said in set-piece sermons as such - but some pithy and memorable remarks when introducing a Bible study or lectio-divina or something of that kind ...

Or something that resembles a scene in a Dostoyevsky novel ... 'It was said of St Zosimas, you know, that whenever he ...' etc etc

In fact, I've heard the same kind of points made in Orthodox sermons as I've heard in Protestant ones - only with examples/illustrations from hagiography or the Desert Fathers, say, rather than Moses, Samson, King David or some other OT character ... which would have been more likely in a Protestant setting.

It wasn't a sermon as such, but I was once blown away by a Bible study on the Transfiguration led by Bishop Kallistos Ware which he used to 'model' the Orthodox approach. He used an icon of the Transfiguration alongside the NT accounts - which he compared and contrasted in the sort of way Protestants would be familiar with ...

I can't quite put my finger on it, but 'that happened' if you know what I mean. We've all been there when 'that happens'.

Well, 'that' happened for me on that particular occasion.

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

Years ago I decided to try to discuss the sermon with friends at coffee, opening the conversation with "which point in the sermon do you think most important?"

Answer 1: I don't listen to sermons, I use that time to look around the hall and pick out people I think need prayer, and pray right then.

Answer 2: I don't listen to sermons, that's the time I plan my coming week.

Answer 3: I don't listen to sermons, I just sort of veg or daydream until it's over.

OTOH some Non-D friends choose a church by the sermon, wanting to be "fed" by a "meaty" 45 minute Bible-based sermon.

And I've visited a Black church where the preacher's sermon was well over an hour and I could have stayed for more, captivating sing-song
encouragement that tells the story and insists God loves YOU and punctuated with frequent "amen, brother!"

So it appears what a sermon is for depends on the culture of the specific church.

In mainline, I'm not sure it has a purpose that wouldn't be better served with ten minutes of silence, or of praying for the people near you in the pews.

I occasionally ask someone at lunch after church (when I don't go to church) "what was the sermon about?" and usually get some variation of "I don't know." But they can tell you the hymns.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

Our sermons tend to be a meditation on the readings for the day, and encourage the listener to think more about certain topics in the coming week. If the reading contains ideas that the congregation might be uncomfortable with (Jesus talking about divorce, for instance,) the sermon will usually address that topic head on, and explain why our church teaches something different from what we heard in the reading.

Often, the tone of the sermon is changed by who is giving the sermon, and what their particular position is in the church. The Rector is far more likely to give a sermon about how our members might respond to a reading in the spirit of our mission statement. The Deacon is likely to show how a social issue addressed by Jesus is still a problem today in our neighborhood, or to highlight invisible social issues in the neighborhood. Our Curate is still learning how to deliver a great sermon, and part of our job, I think, is to be patient as she works through the commentaries and thoughts and themes that don't always tie together smoothly.

My brother, my parents, and I all attend different Episcopal churches, and part of our Sunday afternoon or Monday morning routine is telling each other about the sermon we heard. It's a good way to make sure that you pay attention, although there is no judgment if anyone admits that they can't remember a word of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Sermoned-out, hymned-out and prayered-out me. What's left?

Apart from Communion of course.

Re-define "church." A walk in the woods, an art canvas and brush, sitting down with a homeless person and listening appreciatively to what he or she says; these can be church.

Or find/form a group that encourages its participants to actively fulfill who God made them each to be by bringing a song, a poem, a story or drawing or new-to-you understanding God finally got through your thick skull. [Smile]

Get away from the traditional "conform, sit, do as you are told, avoid revealing any personality or creativity" style of church. It may work for some but it's spiritually deadly for others.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

A sermon is an act of worship. a meditation and a reflection on how the day's readings apply to daily living. More thoughts here.

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Sadly, I find Anglican sermons generally disappointing. I've heard some good cathedral sermons though ...

At the 'higher' end of things you at least know that all you're going to get is a very short homily. Some of the best preachers I've heard at that end of the candle are able to pack a lot in to a short space ... but by and large all you get are short musings that you could have easily mused for yourself at home ...

There's no easy answer, I don't think.

There is, I believe, a great need for good, solid, well-rounded preaching.

Step forward the preachers ...

We need you.

One advantage of Evensong is that the sermons are almost always very short, which means that my expectations are not too high. My problem in other settings has been to expect too much from the sermon. There's a high risk of disappointment afterwards.

Someone like yourself who gets around bit no doubt enjoys the opportunity to hear good sermons from many quarters. The problem is that most of us only attend our own church plus a few others in the ordinary church year (bar weddings and funerals). We're unlikely to get inspiring preaching from our pulpit regulars unless that's what they're known for.

Regarding the Methodists, it used to be said that the preaching plan encouraged some members to skip the weeks when an indifferent preacher was known to be coming. Perhaps this still happens. But despite the increasing size of Methodist circuits and the number of lay preachers who pass though, the quality of Methodist sermons is remarkably consistent. It would be unfair to say that Methodist preaching is somehow inadequate when the end result so obviously replicates an approved pattern in terms of style, form and content.

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I think if a sermon helps one person love God or love their neighbour more, then that's a success. At times that one person can even be the preacher.

I'm sorry, but I think this is trite nonsense. I'm not saying it isn't a good thing if a sermon helps one person love God or their neighbor more. That's a very good thing, in fact. But in a sermon, you are addressing a specific gathering of the people of God, and your job is to say something that is relevant, inspiring, or challenging to that gathering. This is different from one-on-one pastoral care or private meditation. If the entire congregation is left wondering "what on earth was that about?" but you feel better at the end of the sermon, you missed the mark.

quote:
On a tangent for a moment -- whilst I agree with SvitlanaV2 that RC and Orthodox sermons seem to operate in a different kind of way to Protestant ones ...

I once read that there was a "sacramental" aspect to Protestant Nonconformist preaching which is quite different to what you'd expect in an Anglican or RC church. In other words, the "spiritual trajectory" of the service is different.

In (say) a Baptist church the sermon is the "high point" of the service. Even if there is Communion to follow (and there may well not be), you come "down" into that. Conversely in an Anglican church (unless they're are snake-belly Low) you are still going "up" through the sermon and climaxing with the Eucharist, assuming that it is a Eucharistic service.

This may have something to do with views of how people encounter God. In the Reformed tradition one predominantly seems to encounter Him through his Word, especially if the Lord's Table is primarily memorialist (and infrequent). In the Anglican or RC tradition you are more expectant of meeting God through some kind of "Presence" at the Eucharist.

Or so it seems to me ...

[ 30. December 2015, 15:05: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
Perhaps it's Ship of Fools that has ruined the sermon for me ... [Big Grin] [Razz]

I've become Debate Man ...

[Big Grin]

For me, it is not debate I want, it is discussion. I want to be listened to, and, if someone is going to tell me what they believe, I want to know why, and I want to be able to challenge this and be responded to.

I don't want someone "encouraging" me, unless they have first heard why I am discouraged. I don't want someone trying to explain how I should live my faith out in the 21st century when they have no idea how I already live in the 21st Century. Or, as so often, they have no idea how to live in the 21st Century, because they are completely stuck in a 19th century version of their faith.

I do find a problem with other peoples sermons, because they are not the message I would preach from them. So I tend to spend my time thinking about what I would preach from the same starting point. So I have my own internal discussion.

So yes, sermoned out, churched out.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

Very interesting thread. I haven't attended church for a long time of course and therefore haven't heard a sermon! However, I wonder whether they have lost out to all the other means of obtaining advice, help and encouragement, etc. In earlier times - and that includes my early years - the church service was part of the week's entertainment! There must be fewer and fewer people who, needing some help and personal advice, would choose to go to the local priest, as there are other services available on the phone, on line, etc.

I go to Humanist group meetings when there will be a speaker whose talk I believe will be interesting and informative. I think if vicars announced the subject of the next sermon, quite a few would check it out on various forms of communication , so that they might well decide to miss the sermon, plus the service. I try to go out for a longer walk on Sunday mornings, which I am sure is much better for all-round health and wel-being.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I don't think that all sermons can be summed up as being "for" a specific purpose and, IMO, that is a good thing.

Sermons or homilies at a Parish Eucharist are likely to be short (maximum 10 minutes) and generally seek to highlight the kernel of the Gospel reading, perhaps giving a pointer to a lesson for everyday life.

Sermons at Matins or Evensong can be longer, though I'd suggest that 15 minutes is an absolute maximum; and since the readings at these services tend to be longer, and certainly to include something from the Old Testament (which often isn't read at any other time) it can go into greater detail.

By contrast sermons at occasional offices are more likely to focus on the actual event. I think it is a great pity that many clergy don't preach at funerals but instead give over the "slot" to tributes from relatives.

A good sermon should leave one (a) feeling that something new about a perhaps well-known passage has been shown to the listener; (b) not looking at their watch; and (c) be suitable for a wide range of ages from, the youngest chorister to people perhaps 80-90 years older.

Posted by dv (# 15714) on :

A sermon has never had any impact on my spirituality or my understanding of the faith. I've come to the conclusion that they're mainly there for the benefit of the person delivering them.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
I think if a sermon helps one person love God or love their neighbour more, then that's a success. At times that one person can even be the preacher.

I'm sorry, but I think this is trite nonsense. I'm not saying it isn't a good thing if a sermon helps one person love God or their neighbor more... But in a sermon, you are addressing a specific gathering of the people of God, and your job is to say something that is relevant, inspiring, or challenging to that gathering...
The "if it helps one person" argument is brought out when we don't know that it helped anyone at all. "Maybe it helped one" is supported with "it's not about numbers" which is true but turning a gathering of many into a service for one hypothetical person is disrespectful of the value (and needs) of those gathered -- unless they are intentionally part of the team serving the needy one. "Let's all pray for Marcia" is a team act, "my sermon is/was for a hypothetical person who may not even be present" is not.

Anyone in the public spotlight is going to have an occasional bad day. We pew sitters shouldn't expect every sermon to be great. Mistakes happen, bad days happen, poor communication happens, attempts to explain something or to inspire that flop happen.

But there's a huge difference between an apologetic hope that someone got something out of it anyway vs and an arrogant assumption "God uses my words thoughts no matter how good or bad they are."

quote:
I'm sorry, but I think this is trite nonsense. I'm not saying it isn't a good thing if a sermon helps one person love God or their neighbor more. That's a very good thing, in fact. But in a sermon, you are addressing a specific gathering of the people of God, and your job is to say something that is relevant, inspiring, or challenging to that gathering. This is different from one-on-one pastoral care or private meditation. If the entire congregation is left wondering "what on earth was that about?" but you feel better at the end of the sermon, you missed the mark.

I would say that there are times when the preacher is the one who needs it most, and I would count it as a success in comparison with no-one benefitting from it. Of course it would be even better if it impacted more people in a positive way, and that will always be the goal, but I don't think it should be considered a complete failure if it brings the preacher to a place where they can better offer pastoral care, or better share the Gospel in the rest of the week.

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

To me, a sermon in the context of the eucharist is a way of responding to the commandment to love God with our mind as well as other aspects of our personhood. Love is about more than sentiment, so I find a sermon with no intellectual content completely disappointing, indeed pointless. Likewise, however, if it just tells me about something without considering how that interacts with life and the daily process of living, that too seems to me to be an opportunity needlessly squandered. Sacraments are a means of embodying and living through things which are difficult to render physical otherwise, and the sermon has its place in that process.

It's also part of the gathering of the congregation in that place - this is where we are this week, what we are hearing this week (in the readings). How do we respond? How do we live it out? Before we carry on to be nourished in the eucharistic feast, our minds are nourished, and our needs considered. Clearly, this part can take a bit of a back seat if the preacher is not the pastoral head of the congregation, but I would think it would be there at least for the hearers in any case.

I also see them as being part of the preacher's generosity of self-giving - showing how they go through the process of thinking through the readings and applying them to their own understanding of God and life. This is a process that we all need to go through, so it is good for us to see it done and hear its proceeds week by week.

quote:
I would say that there are times when the preacher is the one who needs it most, and I would count it as a success in comparison with no-one benefitting from it. Of course it would be even better if it impacted more people in a positive way, and that will always be the goal, but I don't think it should be considered a complete failure if it brings the preacher to a place where they can better offer pastoral care, or better share the Gospel in the rest of the week.

I've heard it said that the preacher is almost always the one who benefits the most from a sermon. The thinking is that the preparation required means that the preacher is far more engaged with the topic than the listeners are.

IMO, the main problem with sermons is the passivity they engender in listeners. The so-called interactive sermon attempts to counter this, but in most cases I've seen, the interaction is fairly superficial.

Black preaching styles involving call and response, coupled with the Pentecostal custom of taking notes, and the old Anabaptist practice of inviting questions at the end of a sermon, would create more engagement and more alert listeners. But it would require meatier sermons, clergy who were willing to make themselves vulnerable to public disagreement, and churchgoers who were committed to putting in some work, not just sitting back and waiting to be 'fed'.

I know of a Baptist church which at certain times of the year organises worship to involve discussion groups after the sermon. Not everyone was keen initially, but I understand that the process has largely been accepted now. It was brought in as a way of making up for the lack of attendance at small group meetings, and as such I think it's a very good response to a common problem.

Posted by Bibaculus (# 18528) on :

In the roman Catholic Church the sermon, I understand, is supposed to be an expounding of the Gospel of the Mass. That's not a bad thing.

When the Orthodox Church in Russia operated under Soviet restrictions, pretty much all it could do was liturgy - all its schools were closed, it wasn't permitted catechism classes, etc. The sermon became very important, as it was the only way of teaching the faith. Maybe we should be glad that we can be so dismissive of sermons as many of us (well, me, actually) are.

Those who write and give the sermons are at a slight disadvantage nowadays, I imagine, since they can no longer thunder about the fires of hell and damnation for sinners, can they?

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Those who write and give the sermons are at a slight disadvantage nowadays, I imagine, since they can no longer thunder about the fires of hell and damnation for sinners, can they?

I'm sure there are plenty of churches out there where they do thunder about hell and damnation on most Sundays.

And if hell and damnation isn't part of what you believe, explaining why it isn't part of what you believe can be an endless source of material.

quote:

Lots of "conservative" non-denominational churches teach that most people are going to hell because they have not been born again (by that church's definition).

It's no longer the dominant official theology of mainline churches, that's all. And who knows what the dominant theology will be in the future.

quote:

You're probably not completely wrong with that remark.

I do think it must be more challenging to be an inspiring preacher in a context of mainstream denominational doubt. Doctrinal certainty is harder to promote in a moderate church, except in the fields of social justice and struggles against poverty; and those topics, just like hell fire and damnation, can become clichés.

quote:

If hell and damnation isn't part of what you believe, explaining why it isn't part of what you believe can be an endless source of material.

Interestingly, I don't think moderate mainstream British clergy spend much time critiquing hell fire and damnation preaching from the pulpit. Not IME, anyway. I think this is because hell isn't a discourse that dominates the public face of Christianity here. Even evangelical clergy spend less time on it, so I understand.

Og and Belle Ringer

thank you for your replies
I have just googled 'Sermons hell damnation' and I see there are quite a few links! I'll have a look tomorrow.

I might suggest this is another time where taking a longer walk would be better for your well-being...

leo. Accepted! An inclusive, deconstructed, best case, postmodern presentation all-embracing of all tradition on anything that pops up in the calendar. Fair dos. Or best still, just Taizé it.

And Belle Ringer, yep. As Gamaliel would say, not either/or: and.

A few quick observations/responses:

@Baptist Trainfan - yes, I agree. The sermon does play a more 'sacramental' role within non-conformist churches ... although it does play that kind of role too in very low-church Anglican settings where one can get the impression that the communion is some kind of bolt-on extra ...

@Belle Ringer. I know you have a thing about creativity - but if I want to be creative I get involved in arty activities - that way I also meet non-churchy people. I may try to inject a bit of creativity into the things I do in church services from time to time - but that's a secondary aspect ... YMMV.

@SvitlanaV2 - I don't get around that much these days ... most of my observations are based on past experience where I got around a lot more than I do now.

On the Methodist thing ... I've heard some very good Methodist sermons. Intriguingly, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are enjoying church life in a Methodist church in Yorkshire - after years out in fairly 'out-there' charismatic land. They particularly appreciate the sermons - and also the social-justice emphasis.

The other week my brother-in-law felt moved to join Amnesty International after one such sermon. He told me that it made a change from dipping into his pocket to found a health/wealth pastor's next 5-Series BMW ...

[Big Grin] [Biased]

Posted by Kaplan Corday (# 16119) on :

On a rough calculation, I must have heard tens of thousands of sermons during my lifetime, but I could count on one hand the ones I remember.

Whether all the others have penetrated and affected me to varying degrees by some process of spiritual osmosis, only God knows.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

I would miss a sermon if I went to a service that didn't have one. I think that it gives my intellect something to exercise it, even if it then goes off on a tangent.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I would miss a sermon if I went to a service that didn't have one. I think that it gives my intellect something to exercise it, even if it then goes off on a tangent.

The specific purpose of a sermon, for you, is to give you something to think about - regardless of whether it relates to the gospel, the outside world, your own faith, etc?

quote:
I wonder whether they have lost out to all the other means of obtaining advice, help and encouragement, etc. In earlier times - and that includes my early years - the church service was part of the week's entertainment! There must be fewer and fewer people who, needing some help and personal advice, would choose to go to the local priest, as there are other services available on the phone, on line, etc.

I think this touches on a very important point, which is the incalculable amount of information with which we are continuously saturated through print and electronic media, making the spoken, logocentric sermon a relatively tiny part of the input, and swamped by the rest.

Compare this with the place of the sermon in past centuries, particularly for poor, semi-literate congregations, for whom it had the potential to play a major weekly role, in terms of entertainment and emotional impact, as well as information and exhortation.

This ties in with your further comment on hellfire sermons, because a critical, information-sophisticated audience of today would be unlikely to react with the frenzy that Jonathan Edwards's hearers reportedly did when listening to his Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God.

And to return to electronic media, I am suspicious of those who whip out their smart phones at the beginning of sermons, allegedly to look up, and follow, the Bible reading.

I suspect that they use the opportunity to look up other things, and am jealous that I, with my ordinary phone, have to struggle to stay awake and concentrate on the sermon, while they are enjoying following the football scores.

[ 30. December 2015, 21:03: Message edited by: Kaplan Corday ]

Kaplan Corday

I've heard it said that sermons are like dinners - you don't remember every one, but they've nourished you all the same. I'm not sure if I like this analogy. But I'm sure that sermons do help to create the theological temperature of our churches, regardless of what we remember about them.

You sometimes get the impression that not all sermons are designed to be remembered, though. Several years ago I went through a phase of trying to take notes of the sermons I heard, and it was interesting how much padding there was that didn't seem worth writing down. What was left was sometimes quite basic.

[ 30. December 2015, 21:10: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

The thing is, if this was the purpose, I would do a set of questions for the congregation, and explore some of them, not a sermon, which is supposed to have a structure and lead people in a direction.

The problems I have is what the usual sermon is for, and I am not sure there is any answer to this yet. Most of the reasons are better served in other ways.

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
I am suspicious of those who whip out their smart phones at the beginning of sermons, allegedly to look up, and follow, the Bible reading.

I suspect that they use the opportunity to look up other things, and am jealous that I, with my ordinary phone, have to struggle to stay awake and concentrate on the sermon, while they are enjoying following the football scores.

I've only become aware of this fairly recently, because the churches I usually go to are mostly attended by old people who don't have flashy phones, but do have a fairly high boredom threshold.

How, I wonder, do the rarer churches with middle aged and younger congregations deal with the ubiquitous smart phones? Is this something that church leaders are starting to get concerned about?

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
(c) be suitable for a wide range of ages from, the youngest chorister to people perhaps 80-90 years older.

... which is something I have found missing in almost all the sermons I have listened to. Having been fortunate to have grown up in a parish where the preaching was superb (I still remember sermons I heard when I was under 10, over 40 years ago now) its all been downhill from there.

My most recent experience was of a minister who liked to show off her erudition. I have a wide vocabulary and a degree in theology. When I can't understand what's being said, then God help the rest of the congregation. I did an excellent course in public speaking about 20 years ago, and the advice I got then is what I've followed ever since - write and speak for an intelligent 12-year-old and your audience should be able to follow you.

It's a Oldsmobile.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
On a tangent for a moment -- whilst I agree with SvitlanaV2 that RC and Orthodox sermons seem to operate in a different kind of way to Protestant ones ...

I once read that there was a "sacramental" aspect to Protestant Nonconformist preaching which is quite different to what you'd expect in an Anglican or RC church. In other words, the "spiritual trajectory" of the service is different.
I come from a tradition where preaching and the sermon are taken Very Seriously. When I was a child, discussion of the sermon, including anything we may have disagreed with, was a standard topic of conversation at the family's Sunday dinner. When I recently served on the search committee for a new pastor and we did a survey (and further exploration) on what qualities the congregation was most looking for, strong preaching was easily the most frequent response, ahead of pastoral presence or leadership skills. Most people assumed it to be a given.

I think we do tend to view the sermon somewhat "sacramentally," even if we might not usually phrase it that way. I don't mean that in the sense of it being where the service leads, though. For us, the sermon comes in the same spot that it would in an RC Mass or Anglican Eucharist. (Though historically we have certainly been guilty of making the sermon "the event.")

I mean it in the sense of an encounter with Christ. I like and tend to agree with the way the Directory for Worship of the PC(USA) puts it:
quote:
The preached Word or sermon is to be based upon the written Word. It is a proclamation of Scripture in the conviction that through the Holy Spirit Jesus Christ is present to the gathered people, offering grace and calling for obedience.
No, I don't specifically remember every good sermon I've heard, just as I don't specifically every good conversation I've had with my wife. But I believe I can say that I have regularly encountered Christ through the Word proclaimed. Sometimes, it had been a comfort, sometime a challenge, sometimes a new insight, etc. Sometimes, I have experienced one of these while those around me have heard something different. But my experience is that if I do my part listening, there will be something I can take as what God wanted me to hear that day, and something that we can take as what God wanted us as a community of faith to hear. (And sometimes, neither are what the preacher would have predicted.)

Posted by Uriel (# 2248) on :

I preach in my church about 6 or 7 times a year. When I give it the time, energy and enthusiasm that it deserves, a good sermon aims to be many things. Primarily I hope it connects with people on a spiritual and emotional level, that people feel the content relates to their personal circumstances and helps them to find space to think about their lives and how it connects with the bigger picture. I hope it also has some theological content for them to take away, so that over the months and years of hearing sermons they will gradually build up more knowledge about theology, the Bible, Christian history, etc. I also hope that the sermon will help some people to lift their eyes towards heaven. Most people have heard the sort of things I am going to be saying, but they also need to be reminded, and often we need to preach to the soul, not the intellect. A sermon should sometimes seek to challenge people, sometimes offer comfort, sometimes just be a pleasant part of the overall service that makes a person feel glad that they came to church that day.

Occasionally a sermon will respond to something that has happened in the news (e.g. 9/11, the Asian tsunami, the Paris attacks - all of which I was on for the following Sunday). For the Paris attacks I had prepared a sermon during the week, and on the Sunday morning 2 hours before the service decided I had to tear it up and just speak about Paris from a few bullet points on the back of an envelope. While it wasn't at all polished, the raw and honest response to the situation was very much appreciated by people who were themselves asking the sort of questions I was deliberating from the front of church.

To try and be memorable I will try and craft the sermon to be a manageable length (about 15 minutes), with a novel opening that makes people sit up and listen, a good finish that will hopefully stay with them, and occasional signposting in between so it doesn't just seem like a long screed of words. I will work hard on making sure the language is natural and flows, sometimes working hard on the specific phrasing of a particular idea so that it is more likely to stand out and be remembered at a later date. I try and vary my delivery - some times I will use pictures with a Powerpoint, sometimes I will create imagery just with words, sometimes I will act out a narrative, sometimes I offer deliberately practical, down to earth advice. I might involve the congregation, or I might just stand and talk. Whatever happens, I hope I am never predictable and that helps people to pay attention. My congregation are good at giving positive feedback, and I get different people responding well to different approaches. I have found the most important thing is that I am honest and try to connect with what really matters to me about faith - if I'm just engaging intellectually it isn't doing the whole job. And it is always satisfying when someone tells you of something you said several years ago which meant something to them and they carried with them and made their own.

As I am fortunate in only preaching about once every 6 weeks, I am able to put a lot into preparation. By the time I stand up to preach I have usually put in several hours reading, praying and thinking, several more hours structuring, writing, editing and then preached through the sermon at least 6 or 7 times so that it feels natural and comes over as if I am having a conversation. Even though I have notes with every word written down, I often have people asking how I preach without notes, so the work put into getting the delivery right must be paying off.

One final thought - I recognise when I preach that many people won't listen to every word. Trying to give a consistent chain of reasoning, where missing one link makes the rest unintelligible, wouldn't work for me. I prefer to see my sermons as a buffet, I lay out ideas, images, stories, whatever content I have and the congregation are welcome to take as much or as little from it as they wish, and make of it what they wish. I try and think of three or four people in the church when I am composing the words (e.g. an elderly lady who has been coming for 60 years, a teenager asking hard questions, a new parent trying to re-connect with faith, a person recently bereaved) and see if there can be something in the layers of the talk that will be of value to each of them. It's not easy, but if you manage it it's very satisfying.

And if someone just needs to sit quietly for 15 minutes, ignore me droning on and just have some space, then I am happy for that as well.

As I said, that's the ideal, and my busy working life doesn't always afford me the time to build in innovation, theology, emotional content, relevance, layers of meaning, variation in delivery, etc. etc. But when it all comes together, people do respond. If someone says "nice talk today" I know I have fallen short. When they say "what you said today, that was for me", or they come to you with a tear in their eye and just say "thank you", or when they track you down a few weeks later and say "what you said the other week, I've been thinking about it and..." then you feel you've served them well.

Haven't bin Somerset for years.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

A less-than-devout organist friend knows exactly what sermons are for: tidying the organ loft and mapping out future music lists. [Snigger]

I think that Kaplan's right that sermons tend to work by 'osmosis' - and I'd suggest that spiritually speaking, we are all largely the product of whatever the main emphases and practices are in our respective traditions - be it hymn-singing, Bible study, spome kind of eucharistic discipline, saying the rosary, contemplative prayer or whatever else.

No preaching or teaching happens in a vacuum and however it's done it will both shape what's going on in our particular contexts and be shaped by it.

That applies as much in a context like Nick Tamen's where the sermon is a big deal and the highlight - if you like - of the service as it does to one where the sermon simply sits alongside other elements or plays a 'lesser' role in some way

It's often been said that churches get the preachers they deserve ... I think there's something in that ... in a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy type way.

Meanwhile, I rather wish that preachers would address me as if I were an intelligent 12 year-old ...

To be fair, not all the sermons I hear these days are dumbed down ... but still ...

quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:
As I am fortunate in only preaching about once every 6 weeks, I am able to put a lot into preparation. By the time I stand up to preach I have usually put in several hours reading, praying and thinking, several more hours structuring, writing, editing and then preached through the sermon at least 6 or 7 times so that it feels natural and comes over as if I am having a conversation.

Which is perhaps why folk shouldn't be too critical if those of us who have to preach twice each Sunday don't always manage to hit the mark.

I have tried listening to quite a few sermons this afternoon, but I'm afraid I didn't get very far!! They were, though, American so rather too many flourishes for me. I'll see if I can find some English ones.

quote:
No preaching or teaching happens in a vacuum and however it's done it will both shape what's going on in our particular contexts and be shaped by it.

Yes! This facet is, I think, ignored far too often.

quote:
That applies as much in a context like Nick Tamen's where the sermon is a big deal and the highlight - if you like - of the service . . . .
Only if there is no Communion, or in a congregation that does it up like mine, baptism. [Biased]

quote:
I have tried listening to quite a few sermons this afternoon, but I'm afraid I didn't get very far!! They were, though, American so rather too many flourishes for me. I'll see if I can find some English ones.

Kelvin Holdsworth of www.thurible.net puts his online pretty frequently, both text and audio.

I find listening to sermons online etc. is hopeless. They are delivered in a service of worship and that context shapes the way we hear them.

Also, a preacher uses more than his/her voice in the act of preaching. You don't get that in an audio recording (or from a written record) unless you already know them well.

quote:
Kelvin Holdsworth of www.thurible.net puts his online pretty frequently, both text and audio.

Thank you - I'll have a look.
There were two from St Paul's Cathedral I have listened to. An Advent one talkng about Mary and the angel/birth/mystery/truth managed to skate round any need for reality here.

I have followed the link and listened to the sermon about the crib etc. I see there is a space for comments, but, although I can think of plenty of things to say, I am not motivated enough to write and post them there just at the moment.

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

I rarely preach these days, mainly because I can also play the organ and we're better off for preachers than organists at the moment, but I have given some thought to what the sermon is for.

Personally I can't see any point in a sermon as a collection of Christian platitudes that simply reinforce your vocabulary of the Christianity club while bypassing your brain.

Assuming you have one or more Bible readings in the service, the sermon could tackle difficult aspects of one of them (e.g. why was Jesus so rude to the woman in this story?) or something that people have preconceptions about (e.g. what does "born again" actually mean?).

Ideally, a sermon should balance several aspects. Some teaching and/or interesting facts and background, but not just that; it's not a lecture. A story somewhere, because a lot of people need a story to hang the rest on; not everyone has the ability to concentrate on reasoned argument. A structure and a certain amount of logical progression, that doesn't skip around all over the place. A link to something happening now, in your life, work, the church, the world. A spiritual dimension; that should go without saying, and shouldn't be shoehorned in during the final few sentences. A conclusion that sums up some of the ideas, preferably in a sentence that's memorable, and one that gives you something to think about further yourself.

It is hard work to do that in ten minutes but it is possible. I wouldn't like to have to attempt that twice a week though and I have the greatest admiration for those who do so.

I have positive feedback when I do preach. Not always from the same people.

Posted by footwasher (# 15599) on :

[Big Grin]
[/qb][/QUOTE]For me, it is not debate I want, it is discussion. I want to be listened to, and, if someone is going to tell me what they believe, I want to know why, and I want to be able to challenge this and be responded to.

I don't want someone "encouraging" me, unless they have first heard why I am discouraged. I don't want someone trying to explain how I should live my faith out in the 21st century when they have no idea how I already live in the 21st Century. Or, as so often, they have no idea how to live in the 21st Century, because they are completely stuck in a 19th century version of their faith.

I do find a problem with other peoples sermons, because they are not the message I would preach from them. So I tend to spend my time thinking about what I would preach from the same starting point. So I have my own internal discussion.

So yes, sermoned out, churched out. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Then you want the college lecture model. Where you benefit not only from the questions you ask, but also from the questions other students asked.

Strangely, that's how it used to be:

1 Corinthians 14:29

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

I preach occasionally, at present about 6 times a year. I think a sermon fills many roles, and so therefore what it's for is a very complex question.

But, for me, I would say that the sermon slot is the primary time for the congregation to reflect on the text(s) of Scripture that have been read. It's not the only time - the choice of hymns/songs, a "children's address" or similar, the prayers and collects, and so on should IMO reflect those passages. Now, that could be achieved by a period of silence for everyone to think about what was read. But, ultimately church is collective, and therefore our reflection on Scripture should be collective.

In that light, I tend to see the sermon as a guided reflection or meditation on the texts read. A sermon should follow a path, and do so that allows the congregation to come along with the preacher. The preacher is like a guide taking a group of people up a mountain. We prepare in advance so that we know the route, we identify where we may need to slow down to let others catch up, where the difficult scrambles where we need to help others along are, where we can take a short detour from the main path to have lunch with a great view. We need to plan the route knowing there are some who will want to stop at the bottom and just watch the stream tumbling down the hillside through the woods at the valley floor, and some who may want to stop part way and rest, and we need to make sure we pick them up on the way back down. Sometimes a sermon will take people to the mountain top, and a good sermon will bring them back down to earth again. Sometimes it will be a pleasant stroll along the canal towpath. Sometimes just a time at the beach hanging out. The skill of the preacher is to know the area well enough to guide the congregation on a walk that will be what they need.

And, sometimes the sermon slot is just a chance to sleep. It's Biblical - just avoid the space by the window.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

Indeed, as my namesake can attest.

Posted by Pomona (# 17175) on :

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
I am suspicious of those who whip out their smart phones at the beginning of sermons, allegedly to look up, and follow, the Bible reading.

I've only become aware of this fairly recently, because the churches I usually go to are mostly attended by old people who don't have flashy phones, but do have a fairly high boredom threshold.

How, I wonder, do the rarer churches with middle aged and younger congregations deal with the ubiquitous smart phones? Is this something that church leaders are starting to get concerned about?

Their church leaders are probably preaching from ipads so I doubt they're concerned - following the Bible passage on your phone has been normal for quite some time in such circles, since smartphones arrived really. Definitely the norm in wealthy young churches.

Posted by chris stiles (# 12641) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Their church leaders are probably preaching from ipads so I doubt they're concerned - following the Bible passage on your phone has been normal for quite some time in such circles, since smartphones arrived really. Definitely the norm in wealthy young churches.

I don't think that the preacher using an ipad stops the congregation from using their smartphones for other purposes - which was presumably the OPs point.

Up thread, I think Gamaliel is correct about the osmosis factor, and this goes as much for the more 'word' centred denominational groupings as everyone else.

Pomona

Using a smartphone to follow readings makes sense, but I was wondering if there's any concern that individuals might be using their phones for the purposes of distraction. I've had glimpses of phones being used in this way, but perhaps it's one of those things that ministers just have to let slide.

Going back to sermons, I think it's interesting that John Wesley realised that they were very limited in effecting transformation. This doesn't just apply to Wesley's hot evangelical concerns. I've heard it said more than once (and often with frustration) that congregations often fail to absorb and act upon the messages of kindness, open-mindedness and willingness to accept change that they hear from the pulpits of moderate churches. What this highlights for me is that although sermons can be very good and even inspiring to listen to, they can't carry the burden that some preachers (and some congregations) put on them.

For Wesley, the answer to this problem was class meetings. Modern evangelical churches have their small groups. This is because people are better able to grapple with challenging teachings and the process the relevance of spirituality in their own lives when they can explore these in a hands-on way, in a more intimate setting. In this kind of church, Sunday sermons can be inspiring and thought-provoking, but they're not expected to achieve the outcomes that are being worked on in smaller groups in the broader life of the church.

By contract, in churches that place a low priority on small groups the sermon bears a much greater burden to serve a whole bunch of different purposes. Unfortunately, the likelihood of success in most cases is lower, and the chance of clergy frustration higher.

This is how ISTM anyway.

[ 01. January 2016, 14:17: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

The replies are giving me a great deal of food for thought, thank you all.

To add another dimension: someone recently suggested to me that the Holy Spirit only works spontaneously, so that sermons prepared in advance would exclude God's input - but surely sermons that are not prepared beforehand ramble on, and are less likely to be listened to by anyone. It occurs to me however that one of the purposes of a sermon must be to help people to encounter God, whether or not in the sacramental way that some have suggested.

God the Holy Spirit only works spontaneously?

[Help]

[Disappointed]

I think I'd have had some strong words to say to that particular individual ...

I expect they thought the scriptures were 'dictated' in some form of automatic-writing type way too ...

On the efficacy or otherwise of sermons, coming back to the 'osmosis' thing - I suggest that ALL spiritual disciplines work that way - whether it be listening to sermons, congregational hymn-singing, engaging in Bible study in a small group, whether lectio-divina, contemplative prayer, saying the rosary, fasting, venerating icons, engaging in Quaker 'gathered silence' or whatever else Christians of various stripes get up to ...

It's interesting, historically, to see how voluntarist groups like the Freemasons came along to fill a gap left by the Reformation dismantling of religious guilds and 'confraternaties' ... or how some of the more radical reformed groups tried to create almost monastic communities (albeit in a non-celibate way) in the way they withdrew 'from the world' ...

Sermons have their place, of course - but not in a vacuum. They have their place alongside personal and corporate spiritual disciplines.

I was struck recently listening to an RC ecumenical worker - with an Maltese background - observe how the gradual disappearance of 'domestic' piety among RCs was having an effect on younger generations of Catholics ...

Time was when RC mums would make the sign of the cross over their offspring when tucking them up in bed at night - or would pray with them or invoke some Saint or other ...

Now they simply switch off the light just like anyone else.

However we 'do' these things and whatever 'outward forms' we use (or choose not to use) it's a case of 'line upon line, rule upon rule, here a little, there a little ...'

http://biblehub.com/isaiah/28-10.htm

This applies as much to 'word' based settings as to what we might call more 'sacramental' ones - as Chris Stiles observes.

The evangelical practice of a 'quiet time' or the use of 'memory-verses' or 'read the Bible in a year' plans and aids are all part and parcel of the same thing.

Children's sermons (or kids' talks) on the other hand, are a doddle.

You just think of some story or incident which will amuse them, append the inevitable: "You know, boys and girls, we're all a bit like that....[person, animal, object, whatever]" and draw some trite spiritual or moral lesson.

Come to think of it, there are some adults who don't object to that approach either....

The 'osmosis' theory makes sense up to a point, but it does assume that simply hanging around in churches is going to make you a certain type of person. But what churchgoing actually does for us morally and spiritually is of course debatable.

As I've said, plenty of Christians on this website and elsewhere grumble about fellow churchgoers who don't seem to have absorbed the 'right' messages despite decades of churchgoing and listening to sermons.

I wasn't saying that the 'osmosis' thing is sufficient in and of itself ... 'faith comes by hearing' but we still have to put it into practice in some way ... whether in a church / congregational context or beyond it - or, preferably, both.

What I'm suggesting is that we pick up the 'core' of whatever belief system or tradition we are part of by osmosis - by hanging around in church, by singing hymns, listening to sermons, lighting candles or whatever else ... but we still have to 'appropriate' that or act upon it in some way.

A Greek Orthodox lad once told me - with sadness - that many of his fellow Greeks 'know how to behave' in church - in terms of the 'moves' and gestures/behaviours expected - but don't necessarily understand what they are doing as it's never been explained to them, they've never been catechised and the Liturgy is presented in a language they barely understand (a form of medieval Greek).

I would suggest that osmosis takes them some distance ... and it wouldn't be for me to judge or assess how far - but equally, they'd need more than that -- forms of instruction, some regime of spiritual reading and participation in spiritual exercises beyond occasional church attendance.

It's like anything else ... I hung around charismatic style meetings and services for a while before I took the plunge and got fully immersed in it all. I would have picked up some of the ethos and atmosphere, as it were, by osmosis, but I wasn't fully involved until ... well, until I was fully engaged and involved.

I've picked up a fair bit about Orthodoxy by hanging around with Orthodox people over the years, by attending the occasional Vespers and Liturgy. Whilst I know a fair bit 'about' it, I wouldn't fully know it from the inside unless I plunged in and committed myself to it ...

The same applies to any Christian tradition. I can say what I think about Roman Catholicism, but unless I became a Roman Catholic and immersed myself in it I wouldn't understand it as fully as the RC faithful do.

The point I'm making is essentially that we learn by doing ... sermons, hymn-singing, the eucharist - all these things are valuable ... but I've still got to 'apply' all that in my daily, everyday life - the way I relate to people, the way I interact, my attitude towards the world and people around me ...

It's a bit like Peter Bohler's advice to John Wesley, 'Preach faith until you have it ...'

I'm not talking about some kind of blind rote repetition - some kind of spiritual two-times table - but I am talking about cultivating a way of life which 'embeds' whatever we do in church contexts into the way we live.

As for complaints that people who habitually listen to sermons don't 'get' it - or don't 'change' visibly or tangibly as a result of hearing sermons week by week ... that's always going to be difficult to assess.

I'm still as much of a prat and as much of a sinner now as I was when I underwent an evangelical conversion at the age of 19 - back in 1981.

Does that make the last few decades a complete waste of time?

I have no idea how to answer those MoTR preachers you're telling us about, SvitlanaV2, who complain about the apparent lack of 'results' from their preaching in people's lives.

At the risk of platitudes, we don't always see the results - and ultimately it's beyond this life that the fruits will be seen ...

So, at the risk of annoying everyone with another both/and statement ... it's both/and ... we absorb things by osmosis and yet we still have to 'work out our salvation with fear and trembling.'

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Children's sermons (or kids' talks) on the other hand, are a doddle.

You just think of some story or incident which will amuse them, append the inevitable: "You know, boys and girls, we're all a bit like that....[person, animal, object, whatever]" and draw some trite spiritual or moral lesson.

Come to think of it, there are some adults who don't object to that approach either....

Whaaat?

Kaplan, when I first read what you'd said, I thought you must be either a very unusual person, or spectacularly un-self-aware. It wasn't until I spotted the word 'trite' that I realised you were taking the p**s.

[ 02. January 2016, 11:08: Message edited by: Enoch ]

Sadly, I think Kaplan's comment is truer than many of us would like to think ...

[Frown] [Biased]

quote:
Sadly, I think Kaplan's comment is truer than many of us would like to think ...

[Frown] [Biased]

Having grown up in a tradition without these children's talks, I find myself at a bit of a loss as to how to approach them. I'm fairly sure they're the thing I do least well in planning for worship.

Children's addresses can be very hard to do well (like everything else, very easy to do badly). Part of that is that the purpose is even less clear than for the sermon.

In churches where the children are absent for most of the service for their own activities then there is no need for the children's address to teach the children anything, and it's an attempt to include children within the service - personally, I think I would prefer it if the children are absent from the start, and come in towards the end (eg: for Communion, if served) and the children's slot is then, and it's a time for the children to tell everyone else what they've been doing.

Where the children are present throughout the service then the children's address is (by definition) singling out one part of the congregation for special attention. If we're going to do that then why not go the whole way and have bits of the service specifically for the men, for the women, for the parents, for the elderly ... ?

My church has a slot labelled "Children's address". I don't know what happens when I'm not there, since I bring the only children. But, we try to include a question and answer session for the children. When I lead worship I use that time to present the main theme of my sermon in a different way from standing behind the lectern (we have no pulpit) and talking. I do this for the benefit of the whole congregation, not just the children. It starts people thinking about the theme I'm going to guide them down before the readings, it naturally lends itself to the second hymn being directly relevant to the theme etc. An appetiser for the main course of the sermon, if you like the metaphor. I will use different approaches - some question/answer (encouraging the adults to join in as well), sometimes a film clip or something will be relevant, since they are my kids I can prime them in advance if there's an activity (read poem, or something) I want them to do for me.

I once heard a talk on this very subject, which drew on Paul's comments to the Corinthians on "the foolishness of preaching".

What, asked the speaker (himself quite an accomplished preacher) was the point of declaiming for half an hour or so when most people weren't paying attention and in all probability nobody at all would remember any of it a week later?

Well, it was God's chosen instrument for salvation.

Ironically enough, that thought has stuck with me for many years since.

I also have a theory that preaching is primarily for the good of the preacher. I often quip that God called me to preach, because it was the only way he could be sure of getting me to open a Bible - and come to church - with any regularity.

[ 02. January 2016, 18:03: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I also have a theory that preaching is primarily for the good of the preacher. I often quip that God called me to preach, because it was the only way he could be sure of getting me to open a Bible - and come to church - with any regularity.

Yes, I can imagine that. In a way, though, you've outlined the very problem with preaching.

You've got a physical and professional reason to be in church and to engage with the texts and the stories. Your careful preparation in terms of form and content must mean you end up with a fantastic memory for and awareness of the material. But those who are asked to sit in the pews week after week, perhaps with little other responsibility, are more like eternal schoolchildren who never learn their lessons and pass their leaving exam. For many of them there's inevitably going to be more ambivalence about the whole thing.

As for Paul, I understand that some seem to think that the style, context and purpose of his preaching was rather different from what we take to be normative today. Of course, times change and the Church is a different thing today. But I'm wondering if perhaps what we see as normative preaching these days is itself running out of steam. Or it would be if preachers themselves didn't get so much out of it?

quote:
But those who are asked to sit in the pews week after week

Nobody's asking them to. They can always up and leave - some do.

quote:
...the very problem with preaching...
those who are asked to sit in the pews week after week...are more like eternal schoolchildren who never learn their lessons and pass their leaving exam. For many of them there's inevitably going to be more ambivalence about the whole thing.

...I'm wondering if perhaps what we see as normative preaching these days is itself running out of steam. Or it would be if preachers themselves didn't get so much out of it?

Several years ago some Shipmate offered a link to a talk or essay that said church treats its members like perpetual children. In real schools, you progress, then you graduate, you don't know anywhere near everything but you know enough to leave school and go out in the world and start doing stuff. Church, you are expected to continue sitting in class your whole life, you are never told "you graduate, get up, go out, and do."

He said church follows the academic model where you sit in class until you move up to leading class that others sit in, but that model requires most people to take the role of perpetual student.

The essay ended with "I declare you graduated. Get off the chair, leave the school, go out do Christianity instead of sitting and studying it."

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
quote:

[Frown] [Biased]

Having grown up in a tradition without these children's talks, I find myself at a bit of a loss as to how to approach them. I'm fairly sure they're the thing I do least well in planning for worship.
Agreed. Very few do them well, and in most cases its a jarring interruption in the rest of the service. They can feel patronizing and leave kids feeling like zoo animals on display ("look how inclusive we are! We have kids!!!").

A better alternative, IMHO, is if the kids are on their way out of the service to some age-segregated program (or on their way back) would be just to have them come forward for a simple blessing, followed by a hymn during which they depart (or join their parents in the pews).

Posted by Pomona (# 17175) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
quote:
...the very problem with preaching...
those who are asked to sit in the pews week after week...are more like eternal schoolchildren who never learn their lessons and pass their leaving exam. For many of them there's inevitably going to be more ambivalence about the whole thing.

...I'm wondering if perhaps what we see as normative preaching these days is itself running out of steam. Or it would be if preachers themselves didn't get so much out of it?

Several years ago some Shipmate offered a link to a talk or essay that said church treats its members like perpetual children. In real schools, you progress, then you graduate, you don't know anywhere near everything but you know enough to leave school and go out in the world and start doing stuff. Church, you are expected to continue sitting in class your whole life, you are never told "you graduate, get up, go out, and do."

He said church follows the academic model where you sit in class until you move up to leading class that others sit in, but that model requires most people to take the role of perpetual student.

The essay ended with "I declare you graduated. Get off the chair, leave the school, go out do Christianity instead of sitting and studying it."

Except that in many more formally liturgical churches, the congregation are active participants in the liturgy. I don't think it is a coincidence that these churches tend to have shorter sermons. Hymn-sermon sandwich churches tend to be far more along listening to a lecture lines.

An illustration - a friend was involved in Catholic student organisations which had European gatherings, I think sometimes also involved in ecumenical gatherings. One Sunday at one of the gatherings, the RC priest was unavailable and an Anglican priest took the service. For some reason he was unaware of the Sunday obligation for Catholics and it was not a Eucharistic service. Afterwards one of the Catholic students went up to my friend, very confused, and said 'But that wasn't church, that was just talking!'.

Posted by LucyP (# 10476) on :

quote:

Originally posted by Belle Ringer

My job involves a requirement for continuing professional development. Attending live CPD lectures is a popular option among many of my peers, (there are other options, like online interactive courses) since we graduated from a demanding academic course and most of us learn well through listening to well presented information. Our jobs are challenging and we benefit both from being given theoretical perspectives to think about, and also from practical advice on to keep us up to date, help us deal with difficult situations, or improve our standards.

So personally, graduation did not result in the cessation of learning for me, but was the beginning of a lifetime of ongoing (part time, applied) learning.

Why not combine the two, have a lecture with participation and discussion , similar to college lectures, as I have already mentioned.

Information is accessed in different ways.

Let's take a sample case.

What is the most common understanding of charismatic manifestations? The two major views are cessationism and continuationism. The former quote 1 Corinthians13:10 as biblical support, interpreting the finalization of Canon as the arrival of the perfect.

The continuationists use Acts 2:17 to legitimize THEIR seeking after the charismatic gifts.

In the first place, employing the grammatical historical hermeneutics is following a course of action laden with numerous rocks, in view of the unstable nature of language. Many are the ship wrecks strewn at the ocean bottom found along the trail followed by those employing this method, in the form of dead locked position with neither side giving way, in turn leading to divisions and schisms.

What is required is some form of lateral thinking, using a technique that does not follow the normal path, maybe even several techniques.

The way out off this particular dilemma is to examine the various occasions where the gifts are mentioned and try to find a pattern.

Electronic chatter about the recipe for the perfect "compote" suddenly becomes a different animal when the cooks excitedly inform each other that the ingredients have been assembled and the time has arrived to get together and put together the recipe. Now it looks more like a plan to launch an attack, compotes more with patterns for the latter!

Employing the same pattern recognition techniques that homeland security uses, I try and finally find a theme, and a passage that epitomizes that theme.

It is when Moses has been commanded by God to return to Egypt and extract Israel.

The situation is not that simple however. Israel cried out for deliverance, but what is the alternative? Christians in the work force are asked to take unethical steps in the course of completing a task and shrink back, but what are the alternatives? The Good News is that the Kingdom of God has arrived, it is a realistic alternative, so that those who seek it are assured that all that is necessary for life will be added to them.

Israel is promised transportation to a destination flowing with milk and honey, provision for life and more, without engaging in unrighteous activity. But what is the guarantee? Why should they listen to Moses? The land is accessed by faith, not being in sight, and a desert lies in between.

This then is the question Moses poses to God: why should Israel listen to him? He has raised a reasonable objection to the launching of the plan.

God then equips him with signs and wonders, words and works. If Israel is not coincidence by the words, of life, that warms the heart, at least they should believe the works.

Notice what I did just there: offered a new view about the part signs and wonders plays in following God's instructions .

A new approach to the problem.

Where before signs and wonders were one of the a tools to help evangelism, the premise has now changed to that of claiming signs and wonders are essential to evangelism. How else are you going to prise God's people out of a safe but oppressive situation serving da Man, into a risky but rewarding situation serving da Boss? You have to show them the "money", the proof.

Of course that is an improvement over the existing understanding or at least an extra option made available in addition to the present number of explanations, so I am not claiming that to be the definitive view and that is not the purpose of this post . The thing is that in this approach to accessing information, there is no closing of the door to other options. A newcomer, the next person, may provide even more light, more convincing arguments.

Unfortunately the sermon is not the setting in which multiple views can be put up for review. That setting is found in 1 Corinthians 14:26, the form the gathering of the saints took, in the early church.

In different ways most people are familiar with continuing to learn after the end of school. Whether that's the CPD courses Lucy mentioned, in-service training for teachers and others, refresher courses (I'm probably not alone in having to attend, and pass a short test, a course on fire safety every three years going over the same material on the different types of fire extinguisher and the importance of keeping emergency exits clear), etc. Or, the fact that we all continually hone skills gained through their use - when I passed my driving test my instructor told me that didn't mean I'd learnt to drive, it meant I'd gained enough competence to continue learning on my own (and, everyone knows the value of re-reading the Highway Code every-so-often to check that that learning hasn't taught you something wrong. Some may be familiar with 'invitations' to attend a road safety awareness course when that self-learning results in getting caught doing something you shouldn't).

The Christian faith is something that develops when it is lived, we learn by being. Most people go through a dedicated learning phase - Sunday School, catechumen, or less formal approaches - but we all end up striking out on our own and learning as we go. Many churches even provide a "graduation ceremony" to mark that event - confirmation, reception into membership, believers baptism.

Church services (of which the sermon is a part), and other events such as small fellowship groups, provide a combination of opportunity to check what you've learned through life against the basics you were originally taught, refresher courses on basics, continuing development and in-service training, and even research.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
But those who are asked to sit in the pews week after week [might be ambivalent about sermons.]

Nobody's asking them to. They can always up and leave - some do.
Of course, some people are asked to join particular churches, which usually implies regular attendance. I know I've been asked to do so.

As for people leaving, the problem is that so many do. In your situation this might not be a big deal, but IME it's not a good thing for the church when large numbers of people grow dissatisfied and leave, and others don't replace them....

Look, I'm not saying that preaching needs to be abolished. The vast majority of sermons I've ever heard have been thought-provoking, and clearly well-prepared. But I'm not convinced that preaching in its current form should be untouchable in Western Protestantism. I certainly don't see the contemporary justification for its elevated status.

I agree with Pomona that liturgical churches do well to keep their sermons short. Mainstream denominations ought to discourage sermons that last longer than about 10-12 minutes. I understand that short sermons are the hardest to write, but I've heard too many sermons that were rambling and padded out - though still with a valuable kernel of some sort.

However, since sermons are considered to be so important, perhaps we could have centres of preaching excellence, where lay and ordained preachers could go to develop their skills. If attached to flourishing congregations this could be an excellent way of supporting 'traditional' Protestant church culture.

The future likely to include a great shortage of clergy, smaller congregations and changing cultural realities, but many Christians might still benefit from excellent preaching by occasionally attending 'preaching services' at churches where maintaining this heritage has become a priority, rather than something that's just taken for granted.

[ 03. January 2016, 14:30: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posted by Cathscats (# 17827) on :

A few months ago I had the privilege of being in conversation with one of the people for whom you have to learn to curtesy. The oldest one. He asked me what I thought were the reasons people attended my churches. So I thought of the people and went through the reasons: to worship God, to be with others of like mind, to be with others full stop, to show community spirit, to sing the hymns, to have a chance to be led in prayer, which some find difficult when alone, etc.
At the end of my list he said " You didn't mention the sermon, despite having preached one this morning." And I had to say that although I am fortunate in having congregations who give me feedback on my sermons and discuss them with me, sometimes a few days later (!) I don't really think anyone comes to church for the sermon, despite it being the "main event" in most services in my denomination. They come for other reasons, but once they are there the sermon is not unimportant, I think.

Anyone heard ANY, given ANY declaring peace? Unqualified peace?

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

Sermons ( like the liturgy in the Anglican tradition) shape your worldview.

You may not remember details of a sermon but you will be (often subconsciously) influenced by the preacher's worldview.

If the definition of religion is a set of beliefs that explain what life is all about, who we are and how we should spend our time, then the sermon is one of the avenues through which this happens.

Posted by Helen-Eva (# 15025) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
A less-than-devout organist friend knows exactly what sermons are for: tidying the organ loft and mapping out future music lists. [Snigger]

That would be a strategic less-than-devout organist who plans ahead and has time for tidying. The tactical less-than-devout organist will be attempting to put the music for the rest of the service in order and, where necessary, learning to play any bits of it that look unfamiliar.

When with the choir I have also got in a lot of work on orchestral music during sermons, which probably makes me very wicked but also a better viola player. Prayer books make good pseudo-finger boards for going through those tricky fingerings.

Of course if the sermon catches my attention then I stop practising and listen to it...

Which must beg the question: what, in a sermon, will attract your attention?

Posted by Helen-Eva (# 15025) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Which must beg the question: what, in a sermon, will attract your attention?

Similar things to those listed above - a striking image, something that surprised me in some way or made me think (I'm always at least half listening) - I'm one of those people who when they try to listen to the sermon finds it virtually impossible to remember after the service what it was about. (The weather forecast is the same - I can watch it carefully very much wanting to know what the weather will be but still at the end of it have no idea because the information doesn't stick). The things that catch my attention are ones that lodge in my brain and are remembered - I'm afraid I don't really have an analysis of what makes the difference between remembering or forgetting (chiefly because I can't remember what I can't remember).
I have noticed that sermons from people who don't preach often tend to stick more, possibly because of the novelty, or possibly because not preaching very often they have more time to prepare and construct an argument with a beginning, middle and end.

The thing is, Martin, even if there were a sermon that 'declared peace, unqualified peace ...' there'd have to be some kind of 'qualification' about what was meant ...

Heck, even 'Blessed are the peacemakers ...' from the Sermon on the Mount has been pored over and pontificated over ad infinitum as to what it actually means ...

Is it 'spiritual peace' or actual physical peace ... as in no more wars ... ?

Etc etc etc ...

If you're going to denounce anyone who doesn't call for absolute, no-holds-barred utter, utter, utter pacifism as Anti-Christ (as you seem to have done on another thread) then there are plenty of Anti-Christs around ...

I've certainly heard sermons laying out very 'peaceful' principles ... I'd argue, though, that sermonising about such things is one thing - actually living that out in practice is something else again ...

quote:

I've certainly heard sermons laying out very 'peaceful' principles ... I'd argue, though, that sermonising about such things is one thing - actually living that out in practice is something else again ...

I wonder whether simply reminding people of those principles may be one of the purposes of a sermon? 'You brood of vipers....' comes to mind....

Yes, except that seems to have been uttered in some kind of street confrontation rather than in a cosy sermon in a church or synagogue ...

[Biased]

Which might also tell us something ...

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Sermons ( like the liturgy in the Anglican tradition) shape your worldview.

You may not remember details of a sermon but you will be (often subconsciously) influenced by the preacher's worldview.

And that world view may or may not align somewhat with God's.

Many Ship discussions focus on disagreements with one or another theology some churches or clergy teach and others reject.

More broadly, just about anything we do, any book we read, show we watch, person we encounter contributes to shaping us - but that doesn't mean every encounter is healthy for us.

Nor is every sermon good for us. Many a sermon mis-teaches, mis-leads, mis-explains, reveals more about the preacher's hangups than about God -- many a seminary graduate believes differently that their classmates and is giving an opposite sermon in a different church. It just doesn't make sense to say anything labeled "sermon" is automatically "good for all hearers."

The idea a sermon does good and only good is deadly because it says we are to accept whatever is preached without using any personal analysis or discernment.

How about figuring out what makes a sermon a good conveyance of God's truth, and what doesn't, instead of blindly assuming "my sermon does people good" while more and more people quietly slip out of church.

(If sermon is an obsolete concept, what would get the church, any church, to recognize and accept that?)

I don't think I've seen anyone here suggest that sermons are almost invariably 'good' - quite the opposite in fact ...

To say that we are shaped by the style and content of sermons just as we are by the style and content of liturgy or whatever means or modes of worship and service / expressions of faith we encounter in whatever kind of church we're in or have been involved with isn't to indicate any kind of value judgement ... it's simply stating a fact.

Whether it's bells and smells, high-octane Pentecostal preaching or a painstakingly scholarly Presbyterian approach, the whole thing will add up to something that 'shapes' our outlook and behaviour in some way ... just as if we spent the time doing alternative things - like going to the gym, running round the block, fishing, playing golf or sitting in front of the telly ...

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

I think it's only to be expected that some of us will find preaching a difficult thing to connect with. Some of us find certain kinds of music or liturgies or modes of language, or church-ordering difficult to connect with. So not surprising if a particlar form of religious liturgical commentary - and coming in so many variations, too - strikes out with a fair proportion of worshippers.

Posted by Ethne Alba (# 5804) on :

I quite enjoyed Sunday morning services in school holiday time (without Sunday School) : all that time during the sermon to play lego on the floor between our pews.

[ 07. January 2016, 15:48: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Perhaps everyone could be given some building blocks as an alternative to the sermon. If asked to connect what we made to the Bible readings, we might learn as much?

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Perhaps everyone could be given some building blocks as an alternative to the sermon. If asked to connect what we made to the Bible readings, we might learn as much?

Isn't that how Messy Church works?

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

For my 2p - whether the preacher was any good or not, their attention to the readings for the week (I'm assuming there were bible readings...) is sometimes my only prompt to remember what they were, and maybe to fish out my lectionary or use one online, re-read the passage, and work out why I thought the sermon a bit smelly. I do this more and more, only starting once into my 40s.

More fundamentally, the sermon is where I get to exercise thought. Thought (about God) isn't necessarily my main reason for being in church - I might value something more contemplative like silent prayer, or the emotional engagement I sometimes get from congregational hymn singing - but without it, part of me remains un-engaged, and neglected bits of me tend to come around and bite me on the a**e.

Perhaps that's a Methodist heritage, wanting (but not necessarily getting!) it all - in a charismatic setting I'll likely be thinking 'have you *thought* about this at all?', but if the 'thought' part is all there is, I'll be feeling a bit dry and shrivelly by the end, something else in me remaining un-addressed and resentful.

Remembering the content need not be the point - the fact it happened may have helped to engage my whole person, and may have oiled the wheels for some other aspect of myself to experience God's love during, or after, the service.

That makes sense to me, Mark.

Increasingly, though, I find myself drawn to worship in settings where there are aesthetic elements - stained glass, interesting architecture, iconography ... then at least I've got something to look at and contemplate if the sermon's leaving me cold ...

[Big Grin]

Texting with my youngest son just now about love and pain and feelings and lust and betrayal and dissatisfaction I do it as an EQUAL. Admit to him I'm making it ALL up as I go along. Confess EVERYTHING. We're ALL in this together in the gutter reaching for the stars. The clergy are my, our EQUALS. At best. Highly privileged and politicized and compromised and insulated equals. Actors. Servants. ANY pretence that they know ANYTHING more than ANY of us makes us ... fools. And them. Insults ALL our intelligence.

There can be NO us and them. They know NOWT. Like us. A sermon is for inclusion, confession, sharing yearning ignorance. Anything else, ANYTHING else, is deception.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:

There can be NO us and them. They know NOWT. Like us. A sermon is for inclusion, confession, sharing yearning ignorance. Anything else, ANYTHING else, is deception.

Fuck that. If my pastor does nothing but share his ignorance and has nothing hopeful whatsoever to say to my situation, it was a total waste of time sending him to seminary. I have enough angst of my own, thank you. I don't want him dumping a megaton of his own on top of me. I want to hear God's word.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

Fuck that. If my pastor does nothing but share his ignorance and has nothing hopeful whatsoever to say to my situation, it was a total waste of time sending him to seminary. I have enough angst of my own, thank you. I don't want him dumping a megaton of his own on top of me. I want to hear God's word.
Seminary only makes him an excellent disseminator of a useless teaching. You might as well let a competent blood-letter treat you for that aneurysm...

If the purpose of a sermon is to teach, then the preacher needs to know the subject better than the students/congregation. If the purpose is to aid the congregation in reflection upon the texts then it is entirely appropriate for the preacher to come to the pulpit with an "I don't understand this fully, let us explore it together" attitude. My like a supervisor for a research project than a lecturer.

I would add that no preacher, no matter the extent of their training in seminary, will ever come to the pulpit knowing all there is to know about a text. All preachers will be in the pulpit knowing that some people in the congregation will be better informed on parts of the subject than they are. A month or so ago I was giving a talk in church (not a sermon, but a presentation on my work after the service) where I was asked to give my impressions of Fukushima as an outsider - in the course of that I reflected on the presence and goodness of God in the midst of tragedy. I can talk on that from head knowledge, but I was talking to a congregation who had lived through the largest earthquake recorded in Japan, who had lived through the fallout of a nuclear accident, a young couple who had recently lost their son ... it was (IMO) right to talk about that, but I did so knowing that in comparison to the people I was talking too I know diddly-squat.

Umpteen years in Seminary and now I learn this?

According to the NPP (a phrase coined by Wright), Paul was not worried about where believers' souls would go after death. Christians of the late medieval period were worried about hell and felt they had to earn entry to heaven with works. This is the theology Martin Luther taught and wrote against, helping to ignite the Protestant Reformation.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/april/surprised-by-n-t-wright.html?start=8

I never though that the Bible would be speaking to this situation.

Sorry, Footwasher, but that link only lets non-subscribers to the magazine see the first paragraph or so of the article. So it's impossible for us to evaluate what it is saying - or what you are saying about it.

quote:
Texting with my youngest son just now about love and pain and feelings and lust and betrayal and dissatisfaction I do it as an EQUAL. Admit to him I'm making it ALL up as I go along. Confess EVERYTHING. We're ALL in this together in the gutter reaching for the stars. The clergy are my, our EQUALS. At best. Highly privileged and politicized and compromised and insulated equals. Actors. Servants. ANY pretence that they know ANYTHING more than ANY of us makes us ... fools. And them. Insults ALL our intelligence.

If someone has learning and intelligence as well as life experience, surely we may look to them to inspire and/or to teach us through a sermon without any ideas of status coming into play.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Sorry, Footwasher, but that link only lets non-subscribers to the magazine see the first paragraph or so of the article. So it's impossible for us to evaluate what it is saying - or what you are saying about it.

Oops! I'm not a subscriber, but the cookies don't block my access.

Wright is shocked by the departure from concern about fulfilling the purpose of the creation of men, the futility of life, to crown creation, to live an eternal mode life, to concern about the afterlife that abruptly arose in the writings of the ECF...

How did the desire to be a blessing to the world become a scramble to escape hell fire? The concept of afterlife is pretty scantily dealt with in the text, if at all.

quote:
Originally posted by footwasher:
Oops! I'm not a subscriber, but the cookies don't block my access.

They block mine.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
If the purpose [of the sermon] is to aid the congregation in reflection upon the texts then it is entirely appropriate for the preacher to come to the pulpit with an "I don't understand this fully, let us explore it together" attitude. M[ore] like a supervisor for a research project than a lecturer.

Preachers like to use the language of mutual 'exploration'. But I don't think it's an entirely honest way of putting it. A sermon is a monologue, not a discussion. One person gets to share their reflections while the others can think quietly - but no one cares to hear what their 'explorations' might be!

I remember when the kids used to came back from Sunday school for communion, and the minister asked them what they'd been doing. After hearing their answers, he'd say, 'And we've been talking about such and such....' I used to think, 'No, you've been talking! We've just been listening quietly and respectfully, in the usual fashion!'

Church-speak. What would we do without it? We'd be lost, I suppose.

[ 11. January 2016, 18:18: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quote:
A sermon is a monologue, not a discussion. One person gets to share their reflections while the others can think quietly - but no one cares to hear what their 'explorations' might be!

That isn't quite fair. i get emails after preaching where I am asked to defend positions I have taken. Also short notice invitations to lunch to discuss what i have said.

Yes, I'm sure it depends on the type of church you attend. If the membership is fairly intellectual and the minister encourages (email) discussion of his/her sermons, then you might have this sort of interaction afterwards. I don't think this is a feature of most churches, though.

I get such interaction occasionally, but not as much as I would like.

In a small church there is also feedback during the sermon, unless you bury your nose in your notes you will see people nodding (and, not just nodding off) or show other signs of agreement - or otherwise. Though I've noticed that my church at least takes a bit of time to realise that the question just asked wasn't rhetorical.

Though some form of response, discussion or comment on my sermons is nice I don't consider it essential. Ultimately, church services are a dialogue between the church and God. The sermon isn't there for the preacher to teach, the sermon is there to allow the words of Scripture to speak more clearly. The preacher is, IMO, closer to being a prophet than being a teacher. And, therefore, the most appropriate response from the congregation to the sermon should be a response to God, not to the preacher. The sermon should lead to the congregation responding to the word of God in repentance, in praise, in living lives more worthy.

It's a very peculiar kind of dialogue.

quote:
Ultimately, church services are a dialogue between the church and God. The sermon isn't there for the preacher to teach, the sermon is there to allow the words of Scripture to speak more clearly. The preacher is, IMO, closer to being a prophet than being a teacher. And, therefore, the most appropriate response from the congregation to the sermon should be a response to God, not to the preacher. The sermon should lead to the congregation responding to the word of God in repentance, in praise, in living lives more worthy.

It's a very peculiar kind of dialogue.

Yes! (Though in light of yesteday's sermon, I might add other appropriate responses, such as living life with deeper trust in God.)

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

In the church I attend in Brazil, we have a group discussion after the sermon (with varying success).

quote:
The preacher is, IMO, closer to being a prophet than being a teacher.

Interesting as this statement is, it comes across as a bit grand! It puts preachers on a pedestal, and I don't think that's very wise.

There would be more humility in being a teacher, and at least there would be an expectation that one's students would learn something.

quote:
quote:

Interesting as this statement is, it comes across as a bit grand! It puts preachers on a pedestal, and I don't think that's very wise.

There would be more humility in being a teacher, and at least there would be an expectation that one's students would learn something.

This begs the question 'How would a prophet prophecy?'

If God the Holy Spirit is speaking through people who have been called to preach God's word, this has been discerned by others within an organised Church, and they have received training and education to ensure that they are knowledgeable and able to use sensible discernment, and then they preach the word of God in accordance with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, is that prophecy?

If so, is it OK to do it but not to say as much, as it will seem grand and seem to lack humility? Does it lack humility if they believe it to be prophecy?

Surely it is only if they see themselves as having a higher status than others as result of their calling that they would lack humility? And if that were the case, the lack of humility would become a barrier to their receiving the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and so they would no longer receive the gift of prophecy......

quote:
quote:

My experience, at least, is actually pretty much to the contrary.

In my experience, those who approach preaching more as teaching are more likely to think it's all about them and what they are bringing to the pulpit for the benefit of others. Those who approach the sermon as Alan describes are more likely to do so with humility . . . and perhaps healthy doses of fear and inadequacy.

I think OT prophets didn't receive a lot of training.

Posted by chris stiles (# 12641) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

In my experience, those who approach preaching more as teaching are more likely to think it's all about them and what they are bringing to the pulpit for the benefit of others. Those who approach the sermon as Alan describes are more likely to do so with humility . . . and perhaps healthy doses of fear and inadequacy.

Having grown up in churches where the preachers saw themselves as prophets, I don't recognise your characterisation.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

Yes - I should imagine that as a consequence they were a lot cheaper to produce! They seem to have been mostly freelance operators too, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Going back to your previous post, can you explain how your post-sermon discussions in Brazil functioned, and what made them successful or otherwise? Were these discussions a long term thing, or were they a recent innovation, introduced to meet a modern need?

[ 11. January 2016, 20:54: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quote:
SvitlanaV2: Going back to your previous post, can you explain how your post-sermon discussions in Brazil functioned, and what made them successful or otherwise? Were these discussions a long term thing, or were they a recent innovation, introduced to meet a modern need?
Present tense — these discussions are still happening. I haven't attended this church long enough to know the origins, but it was heavily involved in the Liberation Theology movement in the seventies, so I guess it goes back to those days.

I guess it's a subjective thing; I don't like group discussions in Latin America much. I tend to lose my patience when some people talk for a long time. But I guess others get a lot out of it. I always avoid group discussions in my training work also.

As a regular preacher, I think my function varies from occasion to occasion.

Sometimes I have a "prophetic" word which I feel I have no choice but to bring. However it must be spoken with humility and the acknowledgement both that I just may have got my spiritual wires crossed and that I have as much to learn about God as everyone else.

Sometimes I have to "worry out" the meaning of a passage (or try to expound a Christian approach to a particular moral or current issue). Here I will present my "findings" from commentators - sometimes contradictory! - and invite listeners to mull them over and make their choice.

Sometimes I will be explorers together on a journey through a Bible story, or fellow-wonderers (spelling intentional) through a predicament.

And sometimes I will be a comforter or try to lead people into God's glory - although I am not naturally a "devotional" speaker.

In all cases I won't just be giving out "theological information" (although that may well be involved): I am trying to sense what God's Spirit is wanting to say to THIS group of people, TODAY.

What I am certainly not trying to do is preach "at" people, in the sense of just flinging my words into the ether. Nor am I saying that I must be right - although I do want to say, "I've looked into this and these are my considered conclusions, at least until more insght comes along".

quote:

The OT certainly implies that most prophets were members of fairly organised schools. Admittedly much of that is when the prophet is recorded as describing themselves as not being a member of those schools. But, there is a recognition that these were people serving God - there are companies of prophets who meet Elijah and Elisha on their journey before Elijah is taken up.

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

Having grown up in churches where the preachers saw themselves as prophets, I don't recognise your characterisation.
Fair enough. I come from a tradition that views the sermon in much the way that Alan decribes, but I have rarely encountered ministers who would say they see themselves as prophets. (Which is why I phrased my earlier response as I did, focusing on how the sermon is approached rather than on how the preacher is viewed, either by him- or herself or by the congregation.

I'm well aware that mileage can very widely, even within a tradition. I have been fortunate that my experience has largely been with ministers who approach the sermon with much study, much prayer, much desire to engage and little sense that the preaching is about the preacher.

We've ALL got learning and intelligence and life experience. Some of us several lifetimes worth.

And yes it was very mainly a waste of time.

Take the lectionary and mine it for meaning, fine, preferably with frequent chairing of comment, fine. It's like policing. It's done with OUR consent.

Show a Ted talk on emotional hygiene. Finer.

quote:
These discussions are still happening. I haven't attended this church long enough to know the origins, but it was heavily involved in the Liberation Theology movement in the seventies, so I guess it goes back to those days.

I guess it's a subjective thing; I don't like group discussions in Latin America much. I tend to lose my patience when some people talk for a long time. But I guess others get a lot out of it. I always avoid group discussions in my training work also.

Ah, interesting to read that it has a connection to the Liberation Theology movement. My guess would be that the equivalent denominations in Europe would be less likely to encourage such discussions, for lack of such a heritage. And maybe such discussions are simply not so culturally appealing to Europeans.

I don't know if this is your perspective, but one objection to cafe church type discussion groups is that group members have to put up with too much lay ignorance when they'd rather be listening to the well-informed, educated words of a qualified preacher.

quote:
SvitlanaV2: I don't know if this is your perspective, but one objection to cafe church type discussion groups is that group members have to put up with too much lay ignorance when they'd rather be listening to the well-informed, educated words of a qualified preacher.
I'm not sure. My church group in the Netherlands doesn't have a qualified preacher, so obviously people are happy to do without that. We don't do group discussions often though; I guess the group is too big for that.

quote:
I don't know if this is your perspective, but one objection to cafe church type discussion groups is that group members have to put up with too much lay ignorance when they'd rather be listening to the well-informed, educated words of a qualified preacher.

One objection raised by my wife to a number of "in-service training days" arranged by her employer was that, instead of bringing in outside speakers to offer fresh insights and approaches, they simply gathered colleagues into buzz-groups and go them to pass on their experiences. Many of the colleagues may have been excellent people, but the net result was a "mutual sharing of ignorance" and the days being a waste of time.

I find the statement that lay speakers lack edifying words, words that give life, a little misrepresentative, or maybe premature would be a better word. The effort may not have been what was required: a little bit more effort perhaps, with a little bit more enlightenment about the process?

First, Scripture, 1 Corinthians 14:29 specifically prescribes lay participation.

Second, this isn't just group discussion, this is discussion with God in the equation. That should count for something, just as religion is not just a worthy cause, but a cause with God involved. Else we are just another acronym challenged bunch (UN, WHO, OXFAM) of bleeding heart liberals working off a guilty conscience or trying to making sure the wealth gap isn't too wide as to foment discontent. Umm, that was harsh, I have friends who are NGO, and they are wonderful people, their only fault being trying to bless the world without being IN the Garden, in the Land, in the Kingdom, in Christ. Rather like the story of the boy plugging the leak with his finger. Crash and burn, or rather the word burnout, comes to mind when it comes to describe their eventual state.

The sermon should teach us how to get the desired result.  Unfortunately,  it can't even tell us WHAT the desired result is, to avoid hell fire, or to avoid missing out on the fulfilment of promises made to God's people, being a blessing to the world manifesting eternal life . 

Really, if you want answers you should have God in the mix. Calvin called the sermon a sacrament. I have a problem with that view. Not only is it grandstanding and making grandiose the activity, it ignores the fact that we already have a sacrament to represent externally what is happening internally: Communion, eating Christ's flesh and drinking his blood, taking His words to heart, having His commands abide in us.

More plainly (and Scripturally) asking God for His Holy Spirit is a clear and present teaching: with the promise that the Holy Spirit will lead into all truth. No earthly father will give a snake when asked for fish so why should our heavenly Father give us a bad guide when we ask for the Holy Spirit.

What if the answer is not a result of being led by the Holy Spirit but a result of too much pizza the previous night? Well that's why you should not avoid gathering together with saints, believers who also ask God incessantly for bread, like the persistent neighbor, or the pesky widow .

Then you will be able to cross check if your answer was really given by God :

1 Corinthians 14:29Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment.

The judgment process is by fire. Jeremiah 23:29 says God's word is like fire. Those who offer up their revelation from God use silver and gold and precious stones, or straw and wood and base metal to build upon the foundation that is Christ, the Gospel. Fire will reveal If their work survives. If it is made with precious material it will stand the test, if not it will be burned, even as they survive but as through fire.

It's a truism that only those who are pure see God. As one's status is revealed, opportunity to change presents itself. Sin awaits at the door. We must resist it so that we will also be found acceptable. All towards enlightenment as to what constitutes eternal life and how to live it.

Is eternal life, the life of being a blessing to the world reached by putting to death the deeds of the body until one is perfect? Paul says he prayed for the thorn in his flesh to be removed but was told that grace was sufficient. Grace revealed to the world that God was with Paul, just as grace revealed to Nicodemus that God was with Christ, because no one could do the things He was doing unless God was with him, as Pharoah's magicians also confessed. Just as Christ, Moses and Paul could be followed, the prophet in our midst could be followed, to help us come out of Egypt, and help us take Egypt out of us.

I'm not saying this is the definitive understanding, just that many hands make light work, and it's unfair to put the burden on a single person. Alternatives are always a good thing and I've begun to understand the wide leeway the CoE gives it's bishops in their views. Toeing the line never led to creativity and new ways of mining and presenting the truth. Joel's prophecy of every person prophesying should mean something.

quote:
Calvin called the sermon a sacrament. I have a problem with that view. Not only is it grandstanding and making grandiose the activity, it ignores the fact that we already have a sacrament to represent externally what is happening internally: Communion, eating Christ's flesh and drinking his blood, taking His words to heart, having His commands abide in us.

I think this perhaps misses what Calvin said. It also ignores that Calvin was quite clear that there are only 2 sacraments, and that Calvin described the marks of the true church as being wherever the Word is rightly preached and the sacraments are rightly administered.

As far as I can recall, Calvin never called the sermon a sacrament. He did describe preaching of the Word as being, in some sense, sacramental. His point in describing the Word this way is to say that in proclamation of the Word, as in the sacraments, Christ is presented to the worshipper. It's about how he believed that God uses preaching of the Word. In other words, if the Word is rightly preached, the worshipper effectively hears Christ speaking to him or her, not just the words of the minister.

quote:
I find the statement that lay speakers lack edifying words, words that give life, a little misrepresentative, or maybe premature would be a better word. The effort may not have been what was required: a little bit more effort perhaps, with a little bit more enlightenment about the process?

Just to be clear: when I referred to lay ignorance I wasn't talking about 'lay speakers'. I come from the British Methodist tradition, in which most Christian 'speakers', i.e. preachers, are laymen and women, not ordained clergy. Lay preachers are trained in theology, and their sermons are remarkably similar in style and content to what you'd hear from an ordained minister.

I was referring to worship which involves members being split into groups to discuss what the preacher has said (or to discuss theme that the preacher or speaker will address later on). Many of the participants, unused to receiving such attention, might ramble on too long, or drift off into tangents that don't illuminate the subject. And many mainstream churches don't emphasise theological or even biblical literacy among the laity, so people might come out with strange things. More sectarian groups like the Seventh Day Adventists are insistent that you develop a knowledge of the Bible.

(This knowledge probably puts them at an advantage when they talk to most lay Christians of other persuasions: the SDAs can argue their theological position, with biblical support, because they've been taught how to do so. I'm sure this partly explains why their numbers are growing.)

TBH, I think it can be hard to get small group worship (also known as cafe style worship, etc.) discussions right. It's not what clergy and congregations are used to. I know it makes some preachers nervous, and there's not much support and advice to help them to do it well. (Have any books been published on the subject recently?) But at least a few churches ought to persist with it, because we do need more options for the Christian service than the monologue sermon.

quote:
As far as I can recall, Calvin never called the sermon a sacrament. He did describe preaching of the Word as being, in some sense, sacramental.

And Luther (or Lutherans?) spoke of the sermon as 'breaking the word'.

quote:

..Paul was not worried about where believers' souls would go after death.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/april/surprised-by-n-t-wright.html?start=8

Time Mag article about Wright's views Might convey something of the content of the blocked article.

I don't see early believers fretting that their Grandma is in hell because she never got to hear about Jesus, but in my "conservative" years I heard lots of "many of your loved relatives are in hell" sermons.

Liberal churches aren't much better. Everyone goes to heaven but it's a boring sit on a cloud doing nothing but play a harp for God, as a kid I was repelled by that sermon-proclaimed passive image of heaven. Still am.

Kipling said it better - the master of all good workmen shall put us to work anew.

Sermons are as valuable as the accuracy of the thoughts expressed. I learn more reliable truth about God and life elsewhere. YMMV.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Liberal churches aren't much better. Everyone goes to heaven but it's a boring sit on a cloud doing nothing but play a harp for God, as a kid I was repelled by that sermon-proclaimed passive image of heaven. Still am.

That's why the Jubilate hymns people (by no means Liberals!) changed the last line of "Once in royal David's city" from "Where like stars his children crowned/all in white shall wait around" to "All his children gather round/bright like stars, with glory crowned". You may differ on whether you think it's any improvement!

quote:
quote:
Calvin called the sermon a sacrament. I have a problem with that view. Not only is it grandstanding and making grandiose the activity, it ignores the fact that we already have a sacrament to represent externally what is happening internally: Communion, eating Christ's flesh and drinking his blood, taking His words to heart, having His commands abide in us.

I think this perhaps misses what Calvin said. It also ignores that Calvin was quite clear that there are only 2 sacraments, and that Calvin described the marks of the true church as being wherever the Word is rightly preached and the sacraments are rightly administered.

As far as I can recall, Calvin never called the sermon a sacrament. He did describe preaching of the Word as being, in some sense, sacramental. His point in describing the Word this way is to say that in proclamation of the Word, as in the sacraments, Christ is presented to the worshipper. It's about how he believed that God uses preaching of the Word. In other words, if the Word is rightly preached, the worshipper effectively hears Christ speaking to him or her, not just the words of the minister.

Calvin and Luther both taught that Christ was present in the sermon, making a parallel with the Eucharist. As mentioned, it is God's voice which is heard. Several scholars have mentioned their observation of these views in the writings of both the men. Here is an electronic version of a publication I once read:

http://www.midamerica.edu/uploads/files/pdf/journal/10-beach.pdf

Excuse the double post, to answer some queries.

A pastor friend tells me of a trend in Congregational churches on the West Coast (California) which have done away with the preacher AND the sermon (those Congregationalists!) and play a video of Wright or Piper, or whatever is being debated at the moment, on the projection screen, in lieu of the two.

Another trend is the noticeable rise in the critical attitude of the flock, manifested in the comments about the errors in the sermon to their companions, sometimes during the hearing of the latter! Chee, it would appear that this is the purpose of the church visit!

A movement by Frank Viola and George Barna (noted statistician of church data) is currently going through a second phase, after a rocky first attempt at duplicating the principles described in 2 Cor 14:29. The experiences are recorded in their books, Pagan Christianity and Reimagining Church. Lay speakers are trained to be familiar with Biblical material through a prayer partnership program as the first phase experienced the rambling and unprofitable situations mentioned by some in this thread. Prophesy is hard unless the raw material utilised is marshalled to work with, both in the proclamation as well as the critiquing. Bereans need Scriptural chops, to know if the currency passed is counterfeit or genuine.

The initiative is still in the nascent stage and only time will tell if it will emerge as a viable alternative to the preacher congregation face off model, and establish its claim to be a retrieval of the NT norm.

[ 12. January 2016, 16:39: Message edited by: footwasher ]

In my experience, SvitlanaV2, people from 'sectarian' groups who can quote the Bible backwards still come out with 'strange things' ...

Indeed, many of them are probably more likely to come out with 'strange things' than people with a lower level of biblical literacy ... why? Because largely they'll be proof-texting or coming at things left-field.

That's by no means always the case, of course, but as well-versed as groups like the SDA might be, they are often well-versed along particular tramlines.

But I take your point ... I've heard it said that one of the reasons that marginal groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses do so well in predominantly Catholic countries like Spain and Poland is that there's a low level of catechesis among the RC laity, as it were - so when someone comes along saying, 'I can show you what the Bible means ...' they're already half-way up for it, as it were.

I've heard similar reasons given to account for explosive Pentecostal growth in South and Latin America ... the Pentecostal churches drew from cultural or largely uncatechised cradle Catholics who saw the exciting things the Pentecostals were doing and how they used scripture to support it and thought, 'Wow! We'll have some of that ...'

Although I have heard that a lot of Pentecostal converts in South America soon get disillusioned or else return to Roman Catholicism ... presumably pressing ice-packs to their foreheads as they do so ... [Biased]

@Footwasher - what NT norm? [Confused]

There was never any such thing as a NT norm ...

[Roll Eyes]

quote:
Calvin and Luther both taught that Christ was present in the sermon, making a parallel with the Eucharist.

Right, but that isn't the same as saying "Calvin called the sermon a sacrament," which is what I took issue with as missing the mark. He did indeed talk about a sacramental character or dimension to preaching of the Word, and he also insisted that both preaching of the Word and the Eucharist are incomplete without the other. But he didn't, so far as I'm aware, actually say that the sermon is a sacrament.

quote:
SvitlanaV2: TBH, I think it can be hard to get small group worship (also known as cafe style worship, etc.) discussions right. It's not what clergy and congregations are used to. I know it makes some preachers nervous, and there's not much support and advice to help them to do it well. (Have any books been published on the subject recently?) But at least a few churches ought to persist with it, because we do need more options for the Christian service than the monologue sermon.
I'm attending CofE services when I'm here in England, and this has been my first acquaintance with cafe church. I'm mildly positive about it, as long as it stays in the small groups, with perhaps a small summary in the larger congregation. At least it's a way to get to know each other better.

To quote someone you won't often hear me quote, 'I agree with Nick ...'

[Big Grin]

I came across this cartoon ...

quote:

According to the NPP (a phrase coined by Wright), Paul was not worried about where believers' souls would go after death. Christians of the late medieval period were worried about hell and felt they had to earn entry to heaven with works. This is the theology Martin Luther taught and wrote against, helping to ignite the Protestant Reformation.

In the interview in Time Magazine Belle Ringer has linked us to, Tom Wright doesn't seem to me to be saying quite what you impliedly seem to be accusing him of. Yes, he has a different perception of salvation, heaven and hell from widespread misunderstandings of popular culture in the west since the Middle Ages. But I don't think he's saying the first 50 years' Christians weren't concerned about salvation or that they didn't believe it related to life in the resurrection and not just life in the here and now.

quote:

Can you unpack that a little bit? You start by saying that lay speakers can deliver life giving, edifying words. Then that they would benefit from more effort. Each of us, lay or ordained, could benefit from a bit more effort and receiving more enlightenment.

quote:
First, Scripture, 1 Corinthians 14:29 specifically prescribes lay participation.
Actually, it says exactly the opposite. First off, there's no suggestion that the prophets mentioned are ordained (even if there was any form of ordination in the Corinthian church at that time). Even if they are ordained, there is still the requirement that all others present carefully weigh what was said - that's hardly prescribing participation.

quote:
Second, this isn't just group discussion, this is discussion with God in the equation.
Absolutely. As I said earlier, a church service is a form of dialogue between the congregation and God. That includes the sermon and any discussion between members of the congregation.

ISTM that 1 Corinthians 14:26 is as important as :29. This says (NRSV): "When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up".

Quite apart from the catch-all injunction at the end, and the clear thought that the service is not in the hands of one person alone, two things stand out to me.

One is that different people bring different elements to the worship, according to their gifting and inspiration. It could indeed be the case that someone brings a "lesson" one week and a "hymn" the next. But it could equally be true that different people have differing (and recognised) ministries, and offer something of that each time. So there is a place for a teacher and a place for a musician (and, yes, they may occasionally swap roles).

Second, Paul says "each of you has ...". This could well be interpreted not in terms of spontaneous and informal participation, but in the sense of people "bringing" to the worship what they have already "received" from God, mulled over and - yes! - prepared for the congregation's consumption. In any case, the sermons, talks or addresses are part of a bigger picture, hopefully one that is directed and harmonised by the Holy Spirit.

I used to think that this passage did imply that worship was a bit of a controlled charismatic free-for-all. But now, although I accept that our worship may well often be too rigid and structured, I'm not so sure. The question is how it's put into practice.

[ 12. January 2016, 20:02: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
I've heard it said that one of the reasons that marginal groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses do so well in predominantly Catholic countries like Spain and Poland is that there's a low level of catechesis among the RC laity, as it were - so when someone comes along saying, 'I can show you what the Bible means ...' they're already half-way up for it, as it were.

I had a conversation with a delightful young (they looked about 20) JW couple on my doorstep the other day, in which they offered to show me something from the Bible, which they then had great trouble in finding.

I eventually worked out that they were looking for John 3:16, and showed them where it was.

[ 12. January 2016, 20:27: Message edited by: Kaplan Corday ]

quote:
In my experience, SvitlanaV2, people from 'sectarian' groups who can quote the Bible backwards still come out with 'strange things' ...

"Strange things" are not restricted to those unfamiliar with historical, credal orthodoxy and mainstream theology, such as cults and sects, or anti-clerical Protestants.

During all my years in the Brethren, I heard many "strange things" from speakers with more piety and imagination than education or sense of proportion, but I never heard anything as "strange" as the extremes of loony academic liberalism, such as Allegro's magic mushrooms or Thiering's Wicked Priest.

And without trying to be gratuitously offensive, as bizarre as some RC distinctives, such as Mariolatry, the papacy or Purgatory.

In fact, the only place you will find real balance is in the personal denomination which I am planning to found - I am still working on the admission price, but you can be sure it will be a bargain.

quote:

Indeed, many of them are probably more likely to come out with 'strange things' than people with a lower level of biblical literacy ... why? Because largely they'll be proof-texting or coming at things left-field.

Yes, they're obviously going to sound strange to a well-educated Anglican or Methodist, but my point is that they'll be more or less on board according to the theology of their own church. The same seems less likely to be true for the average Anglican or Methodist. Indeed, I'm not sure if it's even expected.

Kaplan Corday said this above:

quote:

I had a conversation with a delightful young (they looked about 20) JW couple on my doorstep the other day, in which they offered to show me something from the Bible, which they then had great trouble in finding.

I eventually worked out that they were looking for John 3:16, and showed them where it was.

When you think about it, it's somewhat troubling that the average Methodist minister would probably have less confidence in allowing a random church member who's been a Christian for 50-odd years to speak on behalf of the church, while the JWs are willing to unleash on the public a couple of young people who probably haven't been members for more than a couple of years, and still can't easily find the biblical text they've been told to speak about! Yet the JWs still make converts...!

quote:
I have heard that a lot of Pentecostal converts in South America soon get disillusioned or else return to Roman Catholicism ... presumably pressing ice-packs to their foreheads as they do so ... [Biased]

If the RCC gets to benefit from the returnees' new-found respect for their ancestral faith then it can hardly complain. For those who leave Pentecostalism and go nowhere, I suppose it would be interesting to compare the numbers with those who leave the RCC and do the same.

I'm all sermoned out I suppose. I spent 20 years in legalistic, Messianic, chiliastic, end-times expectation and even then often had to work at making what I heard work. I miss the ignorance of those days. I was still often blown away by the sermons. I have an all time favourite from The Feast of Tabernacles 20 years ago full of Anglo-Israelite post-apocalyptic triumph using the text of Land Of Hope And Glory.

There is no going back. The cult opened its mind and ... here I am. 20 years later. With 10 years in the CoE. Where I tried harder to make it work. But where the vast gulf between the rare best of what is said (preached, sermonized by allegedly educated men set apart) and the common worst of what is believed, as by my men's group tonight, is vertiginous.

So I find myself hankering for sacerdotal sacramentalism. I've done Easter twice in St. Paul's and once in St. Martin's Leicester cathedrals in recent years.

Wonderful.

Nearly as good as the Taizé at Leamington Parish Church nearly 10 years ago.

And I believe in neither priests nor sacraments.

I'm looking for strong, consistent, practical, irenic benevolence in Christian leadership lectures, i.e. sermons. Only Steve Chalke has that. Rob Bell and years before him John Polkinghorne have something else, something gobsmackingly excellent in its own more truly limited way (as talk is cheap). Christian intellect reaching for the stars from dust.

So here's the very best I heard in person last year, by a man who walks the talk, in language and with memes that cannot work for me but which are transcended; one does not have to work that hard at making this work at all: Prison Without Bars

The former terrorist with whom he fellowships is as good actually. Both men who's useless lives are completely redeemed. I mean the useless stuff. The choking, bitter, vile stuff. Turned to blessing.

I read this in a day: Prison Without Bars

I know one can't have this every week. Or Ted Talks of this quality: Emotional Hygiene - but that's a crying shame.

We need THIS and more and the exploration of it in sermons.

Well I do.

Ah well.

[ 12. January 2016, 23:05: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

In the interview in Time Magazine Belle Ringer has linked us to, Tom Wright doesn't seem to me to be saying quite what you impliedly seem to be accusing him of. Yes, he has a different perception of salvation, heaven and hell from widespread misunderstandings of popular culture in the west since the Middle Ages. But I don't think he's saying the first 50 years' Christians weren't concerned about salvation or that they didn't believe it related to life in the resurrection and not just life in the here and now.
Page 4 of 8

[edited by hosts]
Instead of teaching about souls being saved from hell, say Wright and others, Paul is centrally teaching about God's faithfulness to Israel.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/april/surprised-by-n-t-wright.html?start=4

Try this trick:

In Google search, type “n t wright claims church doctrine changed by early church fathers”.

Click the above link titled “Surprised By N T Wright” in the list of sites brought up by the search.

Go to Page 4!

Voila! or Bingo! as the case might be!

The article is better that the short TIME article, spanning 8 pages.

[ 13. January 2016, 06:07: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

hosting/

footwasher, you have been warned before about overly long quotes from external sources.

This offence is compounded when those sources are from behind a paywall; the latter indicates a certain keenness on the part of their publishers to make people pay for the content and go after those who reproduce it without permission.

Whatever you think about the ethics of paywalls, do not reproduce unreasonably long excerpts of copyrighted material here, or indeed unreasonably long excerpts of anything.

We want to hear what shipmates have to say, not admire their ability to quote.

/hosting

quote:
quote:

Can you unpack that a little bit? You start by saying that lay speakers can deliver life giving, edifying words. Then that they would benefit from more effort. Each of us, lay or ordained, could benefit from a bit more effort and receiving more enlightenment.
Let's assume that the participants are ordinary members, as SvitlanaV2 calls them. The effort I was talking about is, as mentioned by Baptistrain fan, the preparation for the discussion, mentioned in 1 Corinthians 14:26, which is an outworking of the stricture in the Gospels to ask for the Holy Spirit, pester the judge, harass the neighbour, for bread. Only then is the bread, the teaching or revelation, given. The information may not be strictly theological, as some discussions involved points of secular law, such as the principle of juvenile minority and immunity from prosecution as adults. In fact, the problem with formal theological training is that generational errors are perpetuated, and a sometimes misplaced sense of loyalty stops us from questioning those errors.

quote:

quote:

Actually, it says exactly the opposite. First off, there's no suggestion that the prophets mentioned are ordained (even if there was any form of ordination in the Corinthian church at that time). Even if they are ordained, there is still the requirement that all others present carefully weigh what was said - that's hardly prescribing participation.

The process is offering up for critique what the holy Spirit revealed, which may not even bee theological, it may be a point of secular law. The critique is in the form of searching Scripture to see if it supports the revelation. So the participation is in this process, and producer and critic roles are swappable.

quote:
quote:
Second, this isn't just group discussion, this is discussion with God in the equation.
Absolutely. As I said earlier, a church service is a form of dialogue between the congregation and God. That includes the sermon and any discussion between members of the congregation.

The church service in organic churches may be attended by just a group of three. The dialogue is between the producer with his revelation, and the critic with his test for the spirit(ual) origin of the revelation.

https://www.cmaresources.org/article/organic-church_n-cole_f-viola

quote:

I'm looking for strong, consistent, practical, irenic benevolence in Christian leadership lectures, i.e. sermons. Only Steve Chalke has that. Rob Bell and years before him John Polkinghorne have something else, something gobsmackingly excellent in its own more truly limited way (as talk is cheap). Christian intellect reaching for the stars from dust.

So here's the very best I heard in person last year, by a man who walks the talk, in language and with memes that cannot work for me but which are transcended; one does not have to work that hard at making this work at all: Prison Without Bars

The former terrorist with whom he fellowships is as good actually. Both men who's useless lives are completely redeemed. I mean the useless stuff. The choking, bitter, vile stuff. Turned to blessing.

I read this in a day: Prison Without Bars

I know one can't have this every week. Or Ted Talks of this quality: Emotional Hygiene - but that's a crying shame.

We need THIS and more and the exploration of it in sermons.

It seems that inspiring stories, liberation theology and high oratorical skill (or however you might describe the mixture you're looking for) are always going to be a rare combination. Then again, the Church doesn't particularly try to find and nurture such a combination, does it?

The other problem, I suppose, is that individuals who have all of these advantages tend to be whisked away from ordinary church life sooner or later. They have some special mission to accomplish, so they're not likely to be readily available at your normal, local parish church to preach week after week.

[ 13. January 2016, 17:34: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quote:
It seems that inspiring stories, liberation theology and high oratorical skill (or however you might describe the mixture you're looking for) are always going to be a rare combination. Then again, the Church doesn't particularly try to find and nurture such a combination, does it?

The other problem, I suppose, is that individuals who have all of these advantages tend to be whisked away from ordinary church life sooner or later. They have some special mission to accomplish, so they're not likely to be readily available at your normal, local parish church to preach week after week.

Would that be because few achieve the required level of eloquence as few are capable of it, or as few are allowed to exercise it, I wonder? Lay people are called to preach too - with training and practice, might they not be readily available to do so?

SvitlanaV2 - I'm being a spoilt brat. My cockeyed optimism has gone and I realise that there is no Christian leadership but we ourselves. Nobody knows nuthin. And that's OK.

Raptor Eye

We're not living in an age of pulpit 'eloquence', certainly not in the mainstream churches. There must be different cultural reasons for that. The decline of doctrinal certainty must be one. The loss of morale as Christianity becomes marginal to the culture is surely another.

Some say that if a lone popular entertainer on an empty stage can hold a rapt audience in his hand for an hour then it shouldn't be impossible for a trained preacher (lay or ordained) to do the same. But that's a whole different ballgame, isn't it?

Talking of entertainers, it might make an interesting reality TV show to send a bunch of ministers to a voice coach/speech writer/drama teacher, etc. to see what might be done to make their homilies more arresting. But the ministers would have to provide their own 'material' (though perhaps a famous theologian could provide them with a theme). Then of course, there'd be the matter of who would be the audience. Preaching to a specially invited congregation, or to a TV camera reaching 1000s of homes isn't the same as doing what you normally do for the 40-odd usual suspects down at Albert St. Methodist Church, or wherever. But it might be an instructive experience nevertheless!

Martin60

Yes. If you want something doing, you have to do it yourself. That's the long and short of it.

quote:
Raptor Eye

We're not living in an age of pulpit 'eloquence', certainly not in the mainstream churches. There must be different cultural reasons for that. The decline of doctrinal certainty must be one. The loss of morale as Christianity becomes marginal to the culture is surely another.

Some say that if a lone popular entertainer on an empty stage can hold a rapt audience in his hand for an hour then it shouldn't be impossible for a trained preacher (lay or ordained) to do the same. But that's a whole different ballgame, isn't it?

Talking of entertainers, it might make an interesting reality TV show to send a bunch of ministers to a voice coach/speech writer/drama teacher, etc. to see what might be done to make their homilies more arresting. But the ministers would have to provide their own 'material' (though perhaps a famous theologian could provide them with a theme). Then of course, there'd be the matter of who would be the audience. Preaching to a specially invited congregation, or to a TV camera reaching 1000s of homes isn't the same as doing what you normally do for the 40-odd usual suspects down at Albert St. Methodist Church, or wherever. But it might be an instructive experience nevertheless!

Martin60

Yes. If you want something doing, you have to do it yourself. That's the long and short of it.

I'd like to see it done, Svitlana. it could be the way forward for preachers to learn more about delivery from the secular world, particularly now that some are brave enough to record their preaching for the church website. It brings us back to the op question - what is the sermon for? There's no point in talking if no-one is listening....

Or stop wanting it.

quote:
Talking of entertainers, it might make an interesting reality TV show to send a bunch of ministers to a voice coach/speech writer/drama teacher, etc. to see what might be done to make their homilies more arresting.

Not a reality show, I grant you, but it does happen (and he's not alone).

[ 13. January 2016, 21:45: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
SvitlanaV2 - I'm being a spoilt brat. My cockeyed optimism has gone and I realise that there is no Christian leadership but we ourselves. Nobody knows nuthin. And that's OK.

It seems to me that you're swimming more deeply in the water of faith, Martin, and so you can see that everyone else is doggy paddling too, some struggling more than others. It is OK. We're to love every one. We don't only learn from the learned, or from those we have compassion for, but we learn from them too.

Now you're just being kind Raptor Eye ...

© Ship of Fools 2016