Thread: What is the strangest thing you saw this week? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029783

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

There are some situations I observe and I would love to hear the story behind them.

Yesterday I saw an old man in a black cowboy hat carrying a large glass table on his back.

What is the strangest thing you saw last week?

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I always seem to miss the strange sights, but Daughter-Unit lives in the next town over and always sees stuff she really doesn't want to see. Naked (nekkid, as locals say) people dancing around is one of them. This week's version was probably number five over the past six or seven years.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

In a side alley beside a former night club were two items. An overturned picnic table and a purple bin with a gold lid stuffed to the gunnels.

No idea why the bin was purple or the night club had a picnic table in the good delivery alley.

Or perhaps the two people meditating on a bench in the park. They looked like runners having a break, he even in shorts though she was more sensibly dressed and had sunglasses on. It was below 10°C

Jengie

[ 13. March 2016, 12:30: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

Do snippets heard count, or does it have to be something seen?

I overheard a conversation yesterday. The speaker was on weekend release from some sort of penal institution, and I think had some sort of psychological history.

"These days no prison will take me".

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

The last week we have had rain off and on most every day. The temperature has averaged about 50F and windy. I went out wearing three layers of clothing, scarf, gloves and a hat. I saw my neighbor in shorts, barefoot and a tank top working in his driveway. I am not sure which one of us was strangely dressed but I do believe it was him.

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

The new "vertical axis air dryer" in my garden. A 20 metre long tree branch fell and clipped the rotary clothes line, bending it 90 degrees. It now looks like a huge pinwheel. I could probably still pin clothes to it and watch them windmill around, because it still rotates - it's just that they would drag the ground on every spin!

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

My trip to Covent Garden excepted, I think it was the man who was vomiting up a yellow liquid next to a bus stop for about 2-3 minutes. I was on the top deck observing. I couldn't work out if it was just bile or limoncello; it was a garish colour and he seemed not to be puking up any food. He then stood upright and walked on as though nothing had happened.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

On that yummy note . . . I ordered a chicken sandwich at a Subway and the clerk asked me if I wanted the meat toasted separately from the bread.

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

I saw a man in Henley carrying a large metal sign under his arm that just said the word "Midget" on it in large white letters.

Neil

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
starbelly: I saw a man in Henley carrying a large metal sign under his arm that just said the word "Midget" on it in large white letters.
Was it a big man?

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
starbelly: I saw a man in Henley carrying a large metal sign under his arm that just said the word "Midget" on it in large white letters.
Was it a big man?
Regular sized.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

I don't know if it is recent enough to count, but last spring I saw a parade of undressed folk in (as I recall) Cardiff.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

A new local distillery has announced that they are coming out with a "wheat vodka." Which strikes me as odd. What's next? A "potato wine"? A "grape whiskey"?

I have had potato wine. Orange peel wine is quite good too.

Posted by Angel Wrestler (# 13673) on :

I saw a woman crossing a busy inner city road with her pet pig in a perfect "heel" position.

Posted by Erik (# 11406) on :

I was at a museum the other week and happened across a woman walking around with a live skunk on her shoulder.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I occasionally see someone in the locality walking her ferret in a little harness (on the ferret that is, not her).

This week has, however, been bereft of strange sights - unless you count a perfectly incredible number of road works in the couple of miles between here and a local hospital: I've been to parts of the city I barely knew existed.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Yesterday I was part of what must have been one of the strangest sights some people had seen. I was with my Nordic Walking group and there were ten of us encircling two large trees, various ages, shapes and sizes with a heel on the ground with that foot up against a tree, while the back leg was stretched behind and our noses were close to the bark of the tree. We were doing an archilles (sp?) stretch, but looking over at the other half of the group I thought we looked like a bunch of tree worshippers.

Later we stood in a circle doing our cooling down exercises to the irritation of several Paradise ducks whose territory we had unwittingly invaded. They bustled around honking at us. Add to this a fluffy dog and a small boy enjoying each others company.

I really enjoy my Nordic Walking class, but it has been a challenge for me as an introvert who is often very awkward physically and overly conscious of that.

Huia - off to join the circus [Big Grin]

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

Yesterday there was a lone young man walking down our deserted mountain road, playing a guitar and singing. Looked like the cover a romance novel or the beginning of a commercial for air freshener...

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I remember starting a thread with this theme several years ago. But not many people posted on it as they hadn't seen anything strange that week. Now the boot is on the other foot and I can't think of anything strange I've seen either. But I will keep a lookout, because you never know....

Posted by BessLane (# 15176) on :

I saw two very small dogs and a pot-belly pig all chasing a garbage truck down a rural road. The fact that I knew the driver of the truck made it so much funnier (although he did not seem to appreciate the video of it I posted on FB [Devil] )

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I occasionally see someone in the locality walking her ferret in a little harness (on the ferret that is, not her).

Awwwh! When I was a girl I used to walk my rabbit in a little harness [Smile]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Several mornings each week I go walking with some neighbors for about half an hour. Sometimes my big old siamese cat will come out to beg some petting from everyone. This cat does not roam farther than about four house lots. But one morning late last week he took it into his head to follow our walk. He made it most of the way down our long block. I finally got worried that he would get spooked by a dog or something and run off, so I cajoled him into following me back home. My friends waited for me to rejoin them and we all had a good laugh. [Smile]

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

I live in a part of the city where strange is normal. It's not unusual to have to dodge someone riding a unicycle while crossing the road. There's a regular in one of the local bars who seems to be universally known as Ukelele Guy. We have a vegan supermarket where if you ask for honey you'll get a stern lecture about exploiting bees.

I love it here.

I saw a young couple in a rowing boat on the canal, the guy was reading from a book of poetry to his partner.

Should introduce him to the mountain singing guy...

Neil

Posted by nickel (# 8363) on :

how about hearing something strange? We now live a half-mile from train tracks, and have gotten used to train whistles several times per morning. It's always "long, long, short, long." But Monday morning one went "long, long, long, long, long." Followed a bit later by a regular "long, long, short, long" but in a more melodious, multi-tone whistle. What are those trains up to!

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by nickel:
how about hearing something strange? We now live a half-mile from train tracks, and have gotten used to train whistles several times per morning. It's always "long, long, short, long." But Monday morning one went "long, long, long, long, long." Followed a bit later by a regular "long, long, short, long" but in a more melodious, multi-tone whistle. What are those trains up to!

It's Spring! Must be their mating call.
[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

It's Spring! Must be their mating call.
[Big Grin]

I expect Baptist Trainfan to come running along any minute now...

As is often the case, Wikipedia is our friend.

Apparently the signals vary from country to country, in some cases from railroad to railroad, but generally speaking, in the United States, five long blasts means "flagman may return from east or north."

Long, long, short long is the standard signal blown when approaching a grade crossing. I am always reminded of the song "I've got my love to keep me warm" ("The snow is snowing, the wind is blowing"). But then again, I'm a strange one. [Biased]

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Lyda*Rose, our Siamese once followed us to my father's house, a good half a mile or more.
The strangest thing I've seen is a man walking along a shopping street in Monmouth with an owl on his shoulder.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

It wasn't last week but a pigeon was waiting on the platform at Victoria Tube station with the rest of us, much to commuters' amusement. When the Tube train came in we skirted round the pigeon and boarded the train. The pigeon then hopped on board with us and stood there near the door. It didn't bother anybody, fly around or anything, just waited quietly like anybody else, then got off four stops later at Earl's Court and walked away.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It didn't bother anybody, fly around or anything, just waited quietly like anybody else, then got off four stops later at Earl's Court and walked away.

Just remember...

Posted by Mili (# 3254) on :

Last Saturday I saw one of those buskers who paint themselves to look like a statue and act like a statue in their act. But this was after he had finished busking and was just walking normally down the street. I had to do a double take to work out what I was seeing.

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

I saw a man, blue from head to foot, washing hand prints off a golden retriever. I'm guessing dog related chemical toilet accident...

I saw a road sign today warning of road narrowing. It looked to be a standard road sign, but underneath the diagram was the caption "give and take", which I've never seen on a sign before!

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Some guy busking by drumming using a pile of junk. He was creating the most amazing sounds.

(I really wanted to get a photo of him, but I had my hands full of a pile of post, and he'd been moved on by the time I returned after queuing for half an hour plus in the Post Office.)

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I saw a road sign today warning of road narrowing. It looked to be a standard road sign, but underneath the diagram was the caption "give and take", which I've never seen on a sign before!

Well, this wasn't recent, but a funny sign I saw a while back was on a road going into Yosemite. There had been a substantial rock slide that had taken out the road months before, and they had jury-rigged a one lane road to get past it. While I was waiting for my turn to use the road in my direction, I looked up to see a sign that said "Geological feature 100 feet ahead" noting where the old road was abruptly ended by a big pile o' rocks.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:

In Guernsey one is regularly exhorted to "Filter in Turn" on the approach to road junctions -much the same thing, I guess.

See: here.

[ 20. March 2016, 14:33: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Does a man selling fresh flowers from a bicycle in a housing association estate count? I do not think he had nicked the bicycle which was designed for selling flowers.

Then there was the morris dancer in dark clothes, looking like Mary Poppins with a dark carpet bag and jangling like an infant school orchestra.

Jengie

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Ah, road signs! Years ago, we saw one in France, which warned, in English, 'Dangerous Declivity'.

It's been our go-to warning ever since.

M.

[ 20. March 2016, 18:08: Message edited by: M. ]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:

The strangest thing I've seen is a man walking along a shopping street in Monmouth with an owl on his shoulder.

Is that really so strange in Monmouth? It's a funny little town but not a patch on those in Somerset, a few of which are deeply weird. Yes Frome, I'm talking about you.

I'll be in Somerset this week so I'll report back on unicycling commuters, cars painted as cows and pigs and people dressed a la Sherlock Holmes.

quote:

What do he have on the other shoulder?

There is nothing strange about owls! Everyone should have one.
[Razz]

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
..., cars painted as cows and pigs ...

We have a leopard print smart car that drives around the local area. Also one with Dasterdly spray-painted on one side and Muttley on the other.

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:

We have a leopard print smart car that drives around the local area. Also one with Dasterdly spray-painted on one side and Muttley on the other.
There is one in Henley covered in Astroturf!

Neil

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I no longer think this strange but you might:

A friend has a pet pig - Gloucester Old Spot - which is exercised on a lead around the village. Highly intelligent, the pig knows to stop at a light-controlled crossing and wait for the signal to cross.

quote:
L'organist: Highly intelligent, the pig
At least this part doesn't surprise me.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

I was walking down the street when a pear tart dropped out of the sky onto the pavement right in front of me (the source turned out to be an overambitious seagull).

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

What do he have on the other shoulder?
Owl droppings. Though those were actually down his back.

I went to the home opener of my local Major League Soccer team (the Philadelphia Union) yesterday. And they won easily, which is a strange sight to begin with. But what really puzzled me is that, outside the stadium, there was a bagpipe-and-drum duo.

Now there is no obvious connection between the Union and Scotland. We have no Scottish players. The Union connection is to the Philadelphia blue-collar workers who are a bit of a melting pot, really. And Philadelphia isn't exactly known as a Scottish colony (more Welsh than anything--Bala Cynwyd is just to the west). Heck, as far as I know, none of the team's corporate sponsors even sells Scotch.

Now the game, played on March 20, did I have several nods to...St. Patrick's Day. But bagpipes? For St. Patrick? I just don't get it.

Could be, if they were Irish (or "uilleann") pipes rather than Scottish ones. Bagpipes are not exclusively Scottish but are found in many places, especially those with a Celtic background. But they are not the same as each other.

So, for instance, I have seen and heard Scottish, Breton, Galician and Northumbrian pipes - and I'm sure there are more. (For instance there is a Transylvanian version).

I was wondering that. Not wondering enough to ask the players, of course. That would have crushed my several pleasant minutes of idle speculation.

(I was going to make a joke about wanting to get out of earshot as fast as possible--but the truth is that the guy playing the pipes was quite good. This wasn't some amateur.)

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I got up one morning and looked in the mirror - very strange sight!

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

That's just begging to be made into a blues lyric! (Do I sense a thread coming on?)

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

That's just begging to be made into a blues lyric!
Let me get back to you [Smile]

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

There's an elderly man who regularly does his shopping in my local Sainsburys on Friday afternoons, who sings love songs (rather well) in a loud bass voice as he walks around the aisles.

In a place where I walk regularly, there are three maple trees standing closely together. One of them has had new leaves since late January, all other trees around are still barren.

A man in a suit and tie, standing outside a government building and cradling very gently what looked like two baseball sized fluffy pink pom poms.

I still don't know whether they were animate or inanimate objects. And I'm still wondering about it!

Did they look anything like this? [Big Grin]

quote:
Could be, if they were Irish (or "uilleann") pipes rather than Scottish ones. Bagpipes are not exclusively Scottish but are found in many places, especially those with a Celtic background. But they are not the same as each other.

So, for instance, I have seen and heard Scottish, Breton, Galician and Northumbrian pipes - and I'm sure there are more. (For instance there is a Transylvanian version).

Was the person playing them standing up (Scottish) or sitting down (Irish)? And were they blowing into them (Scottish) or using bellows under the arm (Irish)?

The uilleann pipes, by the way, for an shipmates who is unfamiliar with them, are a fantastic instrument, much more versatile than the familiar Scottish pipes, but quite demanding to learn.

I live close to the city centre. It is a warm Easter Saturday afternoon. A rooster is crowing. Loudly.

[Confused]

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
A man in a suit and tie, standing outside a government building and cradling very gently what looked like two baseball sized fluffy pink pom poms.

I still don't know whether they were animate or inanimate objects. And I'm still wondering about it!

Tribbles?

Posted by Oscar P. (# 10412) on :

An older man came out of the grocery store, pushing a cart with several bags. He stopped at a riding lawnmower parked outside, loaded the groceries, then drove away. The road he used is a busy four-lane street which is one of the heavier travelled routes in my town of 50,000. [Ultra confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar P.:
An older man came out of the grocery store, pushing a cart with several bags. He stopped at a riding lawnmower parked outside, loaded the groceries, then drove away. The road he used is a busy four-lane street which is one of the heavier travelled routes in my town of 50,000. [Ultra confused]

I think this post also works for "That scares the @#$!% out of me...."

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Awwwh! When I was a girl I used to walk my rabbit in a little harness [Smile]
Ha! When I was a very little boy, my mother used to walk me in a little harness! I think that was the done thing at the time, luckily somewhat out of fashion now! [Ultra confused]

quote:
There is nothing strange about owls! Everyone should have one.
[Razz]

I agree, and so, for a brief moment, appeared to do the Labour Party!

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
There's an elderly man who regularly does his shopping in my local Sainsburys on Friday afternoons, who sings love songs (rather well) in a loud bass voice as he walks around the aisles.

I would totally follow him around the store.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

A couple of hours ago, it was absolutely pissing it down on one side of the house, and not a drop was falling on the other. Most bizarre. Mind you, we did also get a decent rainbow.

AG

Posted by Bene Gesserit (# 14718) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
A couple of hours ago, it was absolutely pissing it down on one side of the house, and not a drop was falling on the other. Most bizarre. Mind you, we did also get a decent rainbow.

AG

[tan] Not this week, I'm afraid, but some winters ago I was coming home from work on the bus one evening. It was cloudy but there wasn't a lot happening weatherwise.

As we got within a hundred yards or so of home, the road ahead exactly level with our house was totally obscured by what looked like impenetrable smoke. Cue much horror.

We drove into it and I heaved an almighty sigh of relief as it turned out to be a ferocious snowstorm with a boundary so sharp it could have been cut by a knife! [/tan]

A woman sitting in front of me in church had a tattoo on her back that read, "Cheerfully sweet."

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Went to the Queens Botanical Gardens with my daughter and son-in-law yesterday for my birthday. There was a man doing some sort of ritual practice exercise with a sword.

Right, I live in the a very urban setting in Northern England. So I was getting the tram after work on Thursday and it being Easter week there were fewer commuters than usual.

The tram, however, was full, with over a dozen black urban youths. There visually was something odd about them; the one definite detail I could pinpoint was the Calvin Klien hat (yes it had that written all over it, no I am not sure it was genuine). However, then an adult with them said something clearly in French.

Now the only thing I can think of that is likely to attract them out that way is the Sheffield Wednesday grounds. That makes it even weirder.

Jengie

I saw sunshine yesterday. In England.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I saw sunshine yesterday. In England.

[Eek!]

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
I always seem to miss the strange sights, but Daughter-Unit lives in the next town over and always sees stuff she really doesn't want to see. Naked (nekkid, as locals say) people dancing around is one of them. This week's version was probably number five over the past six or seven years.

Maybe your daughter-unit is seeing people whacked out on "flakka", a synthetic drug that is the scourge of Broward County, Florida and now moving into other parts of Florida. I just read about this dismal development this morning. I had never even heard of "flakka" until this morning. Google it and you, too, will learn of the strangeness of it all.

Posted by Stumbling Pilgrim (# 7637) on :

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I was walking down the street when a pear tart dropped out of the sky onto the pavement right in front of me (the source turned out to be an overambitious seagull).

Well, my other half had a (dead) fish dropped on him by a seagull a few months ago, but I guess a pear tart is a bit upmarket from that! At least it missed you, unlike the fish, the debris from which took some getting out of his sweatshirt. As he quite rightly pointed out, a few inches to one side and it would have hit him on the head rather than the shoulder, so he didn't quite understand why I was laughing, and continued laughing throughout the half-hour we subsequently spent waiting for a train. And for that matter am still laughing when I think about it now.

On my way home, I walk round the back of Westminster Cathedral, where last night I spotted the discarded remains of a very sorry-looking Christmas tree.

Is it some catholic tradition I've previously been unaware of that you keep the tree until the end of the tax year?

This morning at the station a young man in a smart suit and shiny shoes with a long ponytail, big glasses and headphones was leaping, playing air guitar and singing loudly to himself as he danced down the platform, weaving his energetic way through the crowd of commuters and back again.

Nobody seemed to notice. It wasn't my regular train so I don't know whether this is an everyday occurrence and they're all just used to it.

Yesterday I came out into the store parking lot to see at a distance my usually very normal acting older neighbor jumping, hopping, and appearing to dance in a very strange way. It turns out that a bee had flown up her pants leg. She is fine. She shook the bee out and stepped on it. I told her at her age I was very impressed by her moves.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

A winbdow cleaner washing my windows.

I hadn't asked him to - i suspect he went to the wrong house by mistake and someone else will get the bill.

I might have paid him except that he left smears and drove off before i had a chance.

While I was driving today, I saw a lavender Ford Mustang (as opposed to a wild horse). It put a smile on my face!

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
Originally posted by starbelly:
quote:
quote:

There is one in Henley covered in Astroturf!

Neil

It must be on the move, I spotted it's evil twin a couple of days ago.

Once I went to Disneyland and saw a Hummer tricked out to be a Tigger-mobile. Tiger striped paint-job, Tigger plushes in the rear window, faux tiger fur seating, the works. Parked in what seemed to be executive or VIP parking.

[ 15. April 2016, 22:29: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

In a cafe this morning. Nearby, a grandmother put a child in a carry cot on a ledge that was obviously far too narrow - the child and cot fell to the floor and there was a great fuss.

Some people are stupid.

On the bus. Oldish chap wearing a grubby white fleece onsie under a knee-length rainbow striped cardigan. An amount of yellow knitting on his head which could roughly be construed as a hat. But cheerful: very, very cheerful.

quote:
It must be on the move, I spotted it's evil twin a couple of days ago.

There used to be a little car in Oxford made out of wood, shaped vaguely like a truncated pyramid.

There was also someone who used to cycle on a very long, low bike, lying down. He looked as if he'd be quite tall standing up.

And I have seen a tandem built for a family of three (is that a triadem?) but it's that kind of place.

On the subject of odd cars, this passed me a few months ago.

AG

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I think if I saw that coming towards me, I'd assume that the Top Gear chaps were up to their old tricks. [Big Grin]

In the grocery store today there was a display of what they called "dish pans" -- which looked like this.
[Confused]

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

I saw a woman with very thick, black with grey around the edges...mutton chops. Just thick as can be, would make Elvis in the 70s look like child's play. She was working as a cashier in the groceries.

It wasn't the transgender thing that shocked me. It was the fact she didn't even shave. I say "she" as the hair was long in a nice bob and she had on lipstick. (What I'm used to is...like a church member going thru transition goes to electrolysis, wears dresses and looks very feminine. Not chops straight of of the 70s). I am not used to seeing this, so I was fascinated. I kept secretly trying to look at those glorious mutton chops, the way I would stare at a John Oats type mustache.

But wrong? I can't say it's wrong. And the only thing people cared about in my line was the talkative SLOW woman holding all of us up. The guy in front of me, turned and even grimaced in my direction as he was cussing up a storm mumbling in Spanglish.

But being Silicon Valley, nobody reacted. We just wanted to quickly buy our groceries and be out of there.

[eta: more flowery description.]

[ 20. April 2016, 03:46: Message edited by: duchess ]

talkative woman even apologized to the whole line. She was getting more stickers for her grocery game (you save them up and get a discount). Cashier was unmoved.

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

I bumped into a man coming out of his house with two dachshund puppies dangling from his hands (he was holding them by their collars). they looked very sweet with their little legs dangling, but mighty odd as well.

The other day, on my way to work as I walked past St James the Less I passed a guy who was walking slightly slower than me. As I did so, he spoke to me (I was slightly irritated as I was reading a book as I walked) to ask me if we were heading north.

As it was just before 9am and the morning sun was directly behind us, I thought it should have been obvious that we were walking in a north-westerly direction. I said "roughly" rather than give an impromptu lesson in navigation.

He then said to me "So if I keep going, will I end up in Leicester?" I indicated that he would need to veer right just a little bit but that given we were both heading towards Victoria that he might want to consider a train or a coach as a quicker means of getting to his destination than walking. He indicated that they weren't viable options.

I've never considered walking from London to Leicester, though it's only 100 miles, so I'm not considering doing that after I finish the North Downs Way.

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

I'd forgotten this!

The other day, I got out of the train with about 3 zillion other people and started walking towards the barrier. As there were a lot of us, we were walking close together and I was having trouble because the man in front of me appeared to have a very odd and uneven gait. I suddenly realised he was avoiding the cracks, just playing a little game to himself.

It made me smile.

M.

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was ...

Walking back from church last Sunday evening, I was passed by a car that stopped a few yards in front of me, the driver wound down his window and calmly tossed a takeaway box half full of chips out on to the road.

I was so shocked I just called something like "What?!" He gave me a dirty look like "Want to make something of it?", wound up the window and drove on without turning a hair.

[Ultra confused]

I'm not sure this shouldn't be a Hell post...

This morning I arrived at church to discover that some of the guests for the baptism had arrived even earlier and had set up camp in the sanctuary, complete with blankets on the floor, baby-gym, etc, etc. Sidesman hadn't spotted (or was hoping it was a bad dream) so self and a member of the choir approached to point out that the area around the altar was going to be busy and they couldn't stay there.

This was greeted with incredulity and belligerence but eventually they moved to set up 'camp' at the back near the font.

At the end of the service we discovered they'd moved one of our rather fine pews - apparently without noticing that it was fixed into the floor [Confused] so now we have to repair the herringbone parquet floor and then re-fix the pew [Mad]

L'organist, that would have been perfect for any TICTH thread. May the Lord look over that child. [Votive]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

The season finale of "Lucifer" tonight. Oh my my my! [Eek!] [Cool] [Big Grin]

Talk about unrestful theology!

Track it down and watch it online, on Fox. And there definitely will be a second season! w00t!

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

This isn't a real thing but an Internet thing, but its existence makes me happy and puzzled at where the concept originated.

Disney Princesses Re-imagined As Cement Mixers

It works, and someone has obviously spent time doing it, but what makes me unreasonably pleased to see it is the wondering of why they did so.

[ 26. April 2016, 22:20: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

The wheelie bins are out tonight for collection tomorrow.

Looking out of my window, i saw a local, retired vicar and canon going down the street opening all the bins and looking inside.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

Walking home late this evening I saw a man on a unicycle, with all the legal lights and reflectors, cycling up a hill in Banbury. I wanted to shout to him to cycle on the pavement, but he was a touch wobbly and I didn't want to shock him into losing his balance and ending up under a 4X4.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

The complex my uni classroom is in was designed during the "industrial chic" phase, so has high ceiling with exposed metal beams and ductwork (somewhat function for mounting projectors). Today in the middle of my lecture I looked up to see that someone can carefully placed four different fluffy stuffed animals 20 feet up along the exposed beams. They were posed to look like fluffy Aristocrat, Minion, Goofy Squirrel and Hello Kitty were about to contribute to our class discussion...

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Not from this week, but this still amuses me. I got out of the late afternoon train at my small station on a cold winter afternoon . It was almost dark. Platform on the other line was deserted except for a man sitting in the partly open waiting room. He had taken electric guitar from case, stretched out cord and was sitting playing. No sound. Just finger movements which went well with his singing. Also no sound, just mouth opening and closing.

Saw a late model black BMW with personalised number plate on it the other day...and the name was my maiden name. It is not a large city, and the name is unusual...so there are now many ?s in my mind!

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

Last night I followed a roe deer stag home down our road in the car. Wouldn't have been so surprised if it was a muntjac, but didn't expect a roe!

The real surprise was that it led me down the street and then stopped on the grass at the side of our house...

Was the number plate a local one or perhaps from interstate?

This afternoon we were driving past a road junction near our town (just into the country). One of the exits leads to some bolted gates into a disused sugar refinery. In front of the gates a kilted man was practising the bagpipes.

We are 300 miles from Scotland.

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

I past a lorry woth "Erection Specialist" painted in foot high letters on the side, I refuse to believe the occupants were unaware of the double meaning ...

I saw a man outside yesterday walking on his heels.

Jengie

A woman with a child in a pushchair in the supermarket this afternoon had some difficulty with the self-service checkout. While waiting for an assistant, she put the child's bright purple dummy into her mouth and started chewing on it.

Over the past fortnight in my local park I have seen:
A girl walking a small Shetland pony on a leading rein
A bald man unicycling over a bridge
Two brown rats sitting in a river swishing their front paws in the water
A man in full medieval armour (imitation I presume) talking to a woman in T shirt and shorts
A group of about 30 Sikhs sitting on the grass playing drums

This is just random stuff, not festivals or anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
Over the past fortnight in my local park I have seen:

A man in full medieval armour (imitation I presume) talking to a woman in T shirt and shorts

Mm yes, that reminds me that last Thursday when I was waiting to get the train home, a medieval merchant, a courtly young lady in long dress and tiara and her maidservant in a long black cloak all scurried up the platform. Nobody batted an eyelid.

You see some odd things from trains sometimes (thinking of the young man practising breakdancing on Reading station platform, and the man whose wife actually gave him a haircut while waiting on Oxford station platform).

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

Yesterday I went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, which is full of things that a bookish suburbanite never sees. There was a man leading a quite docile ram on a leash through the crowd. The animal had been sheared, so that its wedding tackle was very visible. Testicles the size of a soccer ball -- I am impressed.

Ariel saw
quote:
A woman with a child in a pushchair in the supermarket this afternoon had some difficulty with the self-service checkout. While waiting for an assistant, she put the child's bright purple dummy into her mouth and started chewing on it.
Not having any idea what a bright purple dummy was until I did a google search all kinds of strange things drifted through my head this week. [Ultra confused]

I'm grateful to the lady we saw on the way to work this morning, taking her pet pig for a walk on a lead; it caused us both to smile, and to wonder what would be going through the minds of any dogs they met on their stroll.

A well dressed man strolling through an intersection playing a harmonica.

Posted by Marama (# 330) on :

Yesterday I saw a (black, of course) swan with 6 or 7 cygnets. Nothing odd in that, you'll say, except that the frosts are about to arrive, and the cygnets should have been hatched about 5 months ago.

I fear it's global warming at play

Early this morning, a dustcart pulled up otside my house and a dustman got out and put a large alarm clock on top of the wheelie bin opposite.

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm grateful to the lady we saw on the way to work this morning, taking her pet pig for a walk on a lead; it caused us both to smile, and to wonder what would be going through the minds of any dogs they met on their stroll.

There's a TV ad here for a bank (Chase?) where they talk about how with it they are, and show someone coming in with a pig on a leash.

The students next door sunbathing on the gable end of our shared roof. I am concerned that they might damage/dislodge the lead from my roof but mpre concerned that if they fall asleep and roll over they'll drop 3 stroreys to their desth.

An educational charity letter came through my door this morning that asked pupils if they were 'bored of revision?'

Surely it should be 'bored with'

I blame the teachers!

[ 12. May 2016, 19:34: Message edited by: leo ]

I think that might derive from the cod take-off, Bored of the Rings .

Bored of the Rings

Sorry - first flood control; refused to post, then it posted while I was finding the url.
Bored of the Rings

Sorry - first flood control refused to post, then it posted while I was finding the url.
Bored of the Rings

Posted by Cathscats (# 17827) on :

I saw the sun. Indeed I have seen it for four days in succession [Yipee]

Is it yellow, as it is fabled?

-- Lost in Fogtown.

It's been visible here off-and-on for the last few days, and it is indeed yellow. [Smile]

eta: Hang on a minute - I thought Kellyland was wall-to-wall sunshine ... [Confused]

[ 13. May 2016, 00:01: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

eta: Hang on a minute - I thought Kellyland was wall-to-wall sunshine ... [Confused]

quote:
Mark Twain said:

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Yeah, and I can't "pop down to Los Angeles all the time" like some guy in Portsmouth suggested last time I was there.

( We're only slightly south of London, latitude- wise. And very much coastal. Fog. Lots of Fog.)

posted by Kelly Alves
quote:
We're only slightly south of London, latitude- wise.
When did they move San Francisco? The last time I looked London was still 51.5°N, which is nearly 14 degrees further up than San Francisco, which sits at 37.7°N.

In fact the only US city further north than London is Anchorage.

Yyyyeah, we're south of y'all, and not all that far south. Understand that California itself goes through a couple latitudes, so that might effect my definition of "slightly".

[ 13. May 2016, 08:02: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

A dog being chased by a sheep!

He is a withdrawn guide dog puppy, now a pet ~ withdrawn due to having a timid nature.

A cafe notice on an overgrown island (or is it just a clump of trees with no soil above water level) in the middle of a pond.

Jengie

A huge cockroach in my condo. They sprayed again. Even my extremely tidy neighbor found one. They migrate every time they spray the outside of a bldg in the condoplex. Good times.

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
A huge cockroach in my condo. They sprayed again. Even my extremely tidy neighbor found one. They migrate every time they spray the outside of a bldg in the condoplex. Good times.

The things survive anything. Practically immune to DDT, explosions and radiation and they can get through ridiculous gaps. Really, really tough.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

About three hours ago, right outside our front door, there marched down the street, a flute band, marching soldiers dressed in World War I gear, what looked like their mascot of two husky-like dogs leading the procession; with a bunch of collar-etted orangemen following in the rear.

No. Wait, the thread title says 'strangest'. For Northern Ireland that's probably pretty normal! [Big Grin]

Isn't it a bit early in the season for Orange bands?

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

They've got to get their practice in!! I mean, it's nearly June already, and marching season is July. The flags'll soon be out on the lamp-posts. Sigh.

<tangent>
Cockroaches
To exterminate like this you need a concrete path or slab:
The cockroaches explode from within: messy and smells appalling but it works.

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

During the sermon on Sunday I was mesmerised watching the stole around the preacher's neck slowly working its way down on one side and up on the other as he preached enthusiastically about Pentecost, waving his arms around as he did so. He was quite oblivious to it. I had a quiet joke with my daughter about how long it was going to take until it fell on the floor but sadly at the last moment, when one end had reached his neck and it was about to go, he stepped on the other end of it, which by now was dangling on the floor, noticed what was happening and yanked it back down round his neck. But not far enough to stop the same process starting again. I was wondering if the short end would make it up to his neck again before the end of the sermon but he made it to the end before it happened!

[Big Grin]

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. A large camper van is parked either on our block or the next one up. Its curtains are drawn. I never see anyone in it or going to it - yet it moves around. Who are these nocturnal tourists? And how much longer is their pantechnicon hogging the parking?

quote:
This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. A large camper van is parked either on our block or the next one up. Its curtains are drawn. I never see anyone in it or going to it - yet it moves around. Who are these nocturnal tourists? And how much longer is their pantechnicon hogging the parking?

Let's hope it doesn't stay for 15 years.

quote:
The things survive anything. Practically immune to DDT, explosions and radiation and they can get through ridiculous gaps. Really, really tough.

Still tough not to somehow feel..it's really my fault somehow...if only I were more tidy. But then my very tidy neighbor found one...it shows they go where they go here. I picture bombs, flames, acid...las cocarachas go on and on doing their dance. They are very hardy. The spraying the outside the bldg does the trick...we find dead ones near the bldg. But they keep coming back. I need to plug up holes in plumbing area. I ordered some foam sealent off Amazon, plus gloves. I will cover my hair and wear a garbage bag apron too. It's cement once it hardens. First, I need to clean out under the sink. It has a lot of stuff I've left there for years...old cleaning solutions, my brother's plumbing tools for my place. I will take the tools out to the carport and mark the bag "plumbing tools". Then get to work the next day, let the area dry out.

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
[QB] <tangent>
Cockroaches
To exterminate like this you need a concrete path or slab:
The cockroaches explode from within: messy and smells appalling but it works.
This will never happen. But it makes for an entertaining picture in my head. I will instead use boric acid water and sugar.

I am now done talking about this subject. Just wanted to give a nod to these 2 shipmates posts but I realize I've gone off on a tangent.

/done.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

I was going to say "two pigs being walked on a leash downtown." Then saw someone else had posted "pig on a leash" and thought, "Guess it can't be that unusual." Then I saw that it was piglet and thought, "Very likely the same pigs!"

They were certainly attracting a lot of attention from passers-by.

"Covering a Church Floor With Mirrored Discs Turns Out to Be a Great Idea" (Curbed).

Looks slippery, and the pattern mind-bending. Plus difficulties for anyone wearing a skirt, dress, kilt, cassock...

Today, I saw a small (about two and a half feet) alligator lying upside-down by the side of the road. I assume it had passed on.

It still had its pretty baby stripes showing. [Frown]

Older lady came into doctor's office while I was in the waiting room with a walker and wearing 3 inch high peep toe heels. I was in awe. [Overused]

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
"Covering a Church Floor With Mirrored Discs Turns Out to Be a Great Idea" (Curbed).

Looks slippery, and the pattern mind-bending. Plus difficulties for anyone wearing a skirt, dress, kilt, cassock...

It's an art installation. The mirrors don't rest directly on the floor; they are on clear pedestals. It's fun to look at. [Smile]

[ 19. May 2016, 04:36: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

The photo was enough to bend my brain. I think it might be what is known as sensory overload. Lead me to some peaceful gloom....

Looks pretty but a nightmare to walk on.

This morning's offering was a young woman getting on the train who immediately proceeded to do an exercise workout using the floor and poles. She was on all fours on the floor with her bum to the doors when the train slowed down to approach the next station. Unfortunately she got up and went off to do stretching exercises in a nearby seat before the train pulled in.

I hope she's not going to be a regular commuter. She managed to effectively block the entrance to the seats by standing there posing so other commuters couldn't get past her.

One on from the women doing their makeup en route I suppose. Reminds me of a very funny sketch I saw some years ago where a woman gets on the bus in her dressing gown and then in a routine of wonderful comic gymnastics gets dressed under it while simultaneously talking continuously on the phone to her office.

Or Mr. Bean going to the dentist. [Big Grin]

a young woman walked down my street this morning cleaning her teeth

There's a woman in a high vis jacket who comes to the gym every Wednesday morning. She does a few stretches and then goes round talking to people.

Today - and 'you couldn't make it up', she went up to bloke who is carer who sits by while his client does a workout. She put her hand up the back of his shirt.

Odd.

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

The other day I was out jogging when a guy cycled past in the opposite direction, juggling. Just like it was the most normal thing in the world.

Posted by Daffodil (# 13164) on :

I was just thinking that I had nothing to contribute to this debate, as I feel when I read most of the threads, then I looked outside and saw a rucksack hanging of the back of a chair, which was stood on a table.
Not an extra extraordinary sight, but odd enough to warrant a mention, especially if you do not know the saga of the cat up the tree which led to the rucksack, hanging from the back of a chair which is stood on the table.

By this morning, all that is left is the chair upon the table - reminiscent of a classroom in the dim distant past. Whilst this maybe unusual for this household, it would in no way qualify as "strange". [Smile]

Meanwhile I will go about my day, alert for "strangeness" [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
The other day I was out jogging when a guy cycled past in the opposite direction, juggling. Just like it was the most normal thing in the world.

It would have been even better if he'd been on a unicycle, going backwards, and dressed in a pink wet-suit!

It was Bike to Work Day last week, and I saw a guy biking along with his bike togged out like a Viking warship. Corrugated cardboard formed the flanks of the ship and the dragon beak in front. There was also a mast and a square red sail, which must have made pedaling uphill difficult. The cyclist wore a horned helmet.

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It was Bike to Work Day last week, and I saw a guy biking along with his bike togged out like a Viking warship. Corrugated cardboard formed the flanks of the ship and the dragon beak in front. There was also a mast and a square red sail, which must have made pedaling uphill difficult. The cyclist wore a horned helmet.

Perhaps he was being Wagnerian? The Ring Cycle?

As I was sitting, eating my breakfast, there was a woman golfing (there is a golf course right by the place I was eating.) Unlike the other golfers who are all in golf carts, she runs to the tee, thwacks the ball, then with her clubs on her back, she runs across the course to thwack her ball again!

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

I've just seen Paddington Bear, with a kid carrying his suitcase! He's advertising an event on Monday in aid of refugees, for which he was carrying a placard. And dancing.

Getting stuck this morning in a queue of traffic behind two large Shire horses pulling a large yellow wagon, gaily decorated with flowers and ribbons, going at under 5 mph an hour.

Periodically I see an imperturbable driver with a pony and trap clopping into town in the quieter part of Sunday morning. Sometimes he has children with him. I love seeing this, it always makes me think of Gowther in The Weirdstone of Brisingamen.

We saw the sun on Bank Holiday Monday!

The other morning I overtook a mother on a bicycle, followed by a small child in a helmet on a little bicycle. Nothing odd about that except that the mother was cycling along holding a pot mug of coffee in her right hand.

quote:

A dour London cabbie once assured me that it was the law that it always rained like the clappers on a Bank Holiday.

Saw and heard . . . in a "budget" clothing shop in London today. A woman asked the assistant if she could bring the clothing back for a refund if it didn't fit. She announced loudly that she couldn't use the changing room in the shop because she wasn't wearing any underwear today.

[Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
quote:

A dour London cabbie once assured me that it was the law that it always rained like the clappers on a Bank Holiday.
My mum reckoned that Whitsun week was usually sunny and that it got cold and damp in protest when Whit Monday bank holiday was fixed to the last Monday in May.

I sometimes think that - but remember Whit Monday could be just as wet sometimes.

A couple of weeks ago I notice a youthful horse-chestnut tree.

Jengie

quote:
quote:

Set by the folk in Brussels, no doubt, to spoil our fun?

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

I saw someone on what looked like an electric, self balancing Unicycle thing going along Princes St. in Edinburgh on Tuesday.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
I saw someone on what looked like an electric, self balancing Unicycle thing going along Princes St. in Edinburgh on Tuesday.

"self balancing" [Confused]

Moo

Was it a Segway? I have ridden one -- fell off.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Not particularly strange if you live near water, but striking nevertheless ... several families of goslings being ushered across a road towards a mere (a lake if you're not in the north-west of England) by their Canada Geese parents. I stopped the car and my wife got out to chivvy them across. Some of the goslings had decided to nestle in the middle of the road.

They waddled across and into the grass when my wife drew closer.

What else ...? A Shetland pony foal. Now that was pretty strange. It looked more like a puppy. The wee creature's head and hooves were out of proportion to the rest of it - but it was lolloping along and having a rare old time.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Was it a Segway? I have ridden one -- fell off.

There certainly exists an electric unicycle with the same sort of self-balancing engine as a Segway. Here and here are a couple of different takes on the concept.

Whilst out walking the other day, I had a pair of labradors come up to me, lined up, and then proceeded to engage in synchronised urination upon the adjacent bush. The timing of the leg lift was perfect, both in ascent and descent.

Tonight was our final Symphony concert of the season -- next door to Symphony Hall is the Convention Center where Phoenix Comicon is taking place. I couldn't possibly say what was "the strangest thing I saw this week," but walking through downtown and riding the light rail were interesting! Even the concert* was designed to attract some of the Comicon kids. The young man in front of me was wearing a costume I couldn't identify and a turquoise wig.

(*The website now shows the concert being tomorrow evening -- Friday and Saturday evening concerts are the same.)

Posted by guinness girl (# 4391) on :

A squirrel running halfway across the road and leapfrogging the bonnet of a moving car. No, really.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

On my regular walks on the path through the bush I meet many interesting dogs (on leads, owners with little plastic bags).

The other day I met a dog walker with maybe nine dogs. I couldn't name them all; there was a beautiful Samoyed, two Corgis, and two of those small trembling terriers.

GG

Posted by Bene Gesserit (# 14718) on :

A thing that made me chuckle . A chappie got out of his car and was was starting to walk to the house he was visiting just as the ice-cream van arrived. With a big grin on his face, he danced to the music of the chimes. [Big Grin]

On Saturday, when hunting around for holiday reading, I popped into two different branches of a small chain of bookshops (half a mile apart)...and was served by the same person in each one!

She was as confused as I was. [Confused]

Not her twin sister, I assume.

Posted by Helen-Eva (# 15025) on :

Walking through central London on Saturday afternoon I saw a group of about seven women dressed as Victorian small girls - all hooped skirts and lace and ruffles and bonnets. If it was a hen party it was the oddest one I've ever seen. They were near the Wallace Collection so they may have been going for afternoon tea there.

A fancy umbrella, more like a parasol, open, undamaged, just lying outside a building. It wasn't raining, either.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

Not this week, nor yet this year, but one hot day before Gove, I was reading to the class outside in the field when we saw a white lace parasol suspended in the air, level with the roof of the school and over the adjacent road, gently twirling. A short while later, a whirlwind came from the other direction, and crossed the playground and the school buildings, stirring up dust as it went. Apparently, it stirred the sails of a Viking longship on the wall in the assembly hall as it passed over - all the windows being open.
Somewhere east of Dartford generates the things on hot still days - we once had one cross the games field on sports day, lifting programmes up a couple of hundred feet.

Also some years ago, I saw a giant bottle of whisky drifting above the rooftops. A hot air balloon of course (rather than a Call to a more abstemious life. Just as well.)

What is weird is that I saw something strange yesterday, and thought I ought to post it here, and can not, despite my best endeavours, recall a thing about it. Somewhere on my trip to Waitrose, it was, but that's it. Total blank.

It wasn't a case of what I saw, but what I didn't see. When I went to water the hanging flower-basket outside the front door yesterday, it wasn't there - nicked; pinched; gone walkies. Annoying, especially as crime is rare here.

Today, on the platform of a 9-track railway station: tall, balding man walking past, perhaps early to mid-60s, in the left hand an old Nokia-type mobile phone, those with the big keys and the small display - and in the right hand a sizeable magnifying glass, which he peered onto the screen with!

Human inventiveness! [Smile]

Too late for ETA... Thus add-on: The man wasn't wearing glasses and proceeded at quite some speed, obviously used to it! [Eek!]

It should not be srange and i am very pleased to have seen it on TV - one of the acolytes but St. Paul's Cathedral was in an electric wheel chair, processing in with the cross for the Queen's birthday service.

Loved seeing this!

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

On the edge of a busy bendy road into the Big City today, a goat having a feast on the sort of grass that is always greener on the other side (I stopped to let the surprised owner know)

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Of seen nowt strange for years, but the last thing was a freshly lit cigarette smoking itself on a long empty path.

Where I live in Tacoma, WA there is a mixture of people. Some nice, normal, neighborly folks and then some holy roller Jesus freaks and then some crazy homeless people and then some crazy non-homeless people!

There is this odd woman I see all the time on public transit. She seems to be in her mid thirties. She usually has a very precocious girl child with her. Today the girl child was wearing black glittery high heels, a bright pink swimsuit, an large adult's t-shirt that was about ten sizes too big for her and fell to her knees, and a purple blanket with dinosaurs on it. Her mother was wearing raggedy jeans and no underwear--her rear end was on prominent display, and a shirt that was fashionable in the 1940's.

I should add: The girl is seven years old. She told that to some old man in the back of the bus. It was creepy.

I was driving round our town's Ring Road. A car was (badly) parked at the edge of the busy road. The driver was doing press-ups on the grass verge.

[ 11. June 2016, 17:16: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Two things from my favourite walk in the park.
1. A tall, immaculately dressed woman in high heels and an expensive looking dress, expensive bag etc, walking a small dog. In her left hand she had a small bag of dog poo that she was trying very hard to pretend was nothing to do with her.

2. Five minutes after this I heard some loud shouting and swearing just off the path ahead. Other people seemed to be giving the area a wide berth. As I went closer I saw a group of teenage boys sitting on the grass huddled over some items I couldn't see. The conversation at that point went something like this:
"You ******** ********! *********!"
"What's your problem, you ******** **********?"
"I need a ********* yellow, you ********!"
Assuming this was drug related, I looked at them more closely as I went past...and found they were playing Uno.

Posted by Oscar P. (# 10412) on :

While driving home yesterday, I passed a man who was skating on rollerblades in the center turn lane of the busy major street. Besides the danger in dodging traffic, the temperature was about 94 degrees F with a heat index of over 100 at the time.

Blown-up balloons is a church waste bin.

Now I am used to the shrivelled ones that were once full hanging up in church halls for months after the party and the odd popped one behind the sofa. However, in fully blown up ones in a waste bin where other users chuck left over food and hot tea bags just seemed odd.

Jengie

I've just been to the funeral of an elderly lady who liked pink. She had planned her own funeral, and we were all asked to wear something pink. I didn't expect the coffin to be pink, or that she would be taken out to "Lily the pink" or that the family car would be a pink stretch limo.

Probably the Strawberry Moon (full moon + summer solstice) is going to win it for this week. And it actually is a pinkish gold. Forty-six years til the next one.

The father of a small child, probably female, certainly too young to be properly aware of environment, holding her on the wall of the viewpoint at Addington Hills, and laying her upper body backwards over the fairly considerable drop. She couldn't see that she was over a drop, only her father and the sky. Nothing was said, either to the baby or between the father and the mother. Then they put her back in the pushchair and went away. I don't know where they went after that, as they hadn't got back to their car before me, and I had stood there a long time afterwards.

It was peculiar, but not bad enough to do anything about.

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

At a shop in Las Vegas I saw a display of caps with the mascots of the Democratic and Republican parties (a donkey and elephant, respectively) in red, white and blue rhinestones.

A sign as we drove onto Dartmoor warning of "Sheep lying on road" - and yes, they do.

SHEEP SPEAK TRUTH - but you do not listen.

This came back to mind while I was posting over in the July Book Group. I was over in the local Barnes & Noble big-box bookstore, and they had all their dud items on a Clearance table. Marked down 80& off was a Walter White action figure. This is from the hit TV show Breaking Bad, which you may recall was a dark action drama involving violent and corrupt drug dealers in the Southwest US. He was complete with his orange haz-mat jump suit, his big face-filter and goggles that protects him from the dangerous fumes when he's cooking methamphetamine, and (I believe) a teeny plastic machine gun.

Strangest thing seen this week: around 7.30 am, a little middle-aged, bespectacled Japanese lady in a simple dark grey kimono and Japanese shoes, making her solitary way along the main road in a not exactly cosmopolitan area. Whence? and why? and whither?

I haven't see her for a while but there's a Japanese woman dresses in the kawaii style - all exaggerated little girl dresses, gingham and big bowd. Except she's palpably in at least her sixties.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

My son observed an interesting situation this week. He went to the Police Lost and Found, where he overheard the following:
Policeman: "I'm sorry, but we don't have your trousers."
Irate man "If you've got my hoover, you must have my trousers"
Policeman "We have your hoover but we don't have your trousers"

Exit irate man, clutching a hoover.

But was he wearing any trousers??? [Eek!]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Just got back from that fine old American tradition, thousands of people trying to leave the park at the same time after fireworks at 10 pm. While waiting, I looked across the street to see that there was a family with several little ones set up in the graveyard with fireworks and flashing lights and sparklers, having a great old time around a grave.

I tried imagining the backstory and decided I'd better stay out of it.

There is a long tradition of gathering in graveyards to picnic and have fun. More doable in rural and country cemeteries; doesn't often happen in urban settings.

quote:
There is a long tradition of gathering in graveyards to picnic and have fun. More doable in rural and country cemeteries; doesn't often happen in urban settings.

This is an inner ring suburb of St. Louis city, and I've never seen such a thing here. Particularly at night, with small children! It was focused on a single grave in particular--they stood surrounding it.

Gosh, you're right. There's a novel in there, possibly by Stephen King.

[Snigger]

A couple of years ago I gave a talk about a local suffragette to a church women's group. My talk included the fact that she was buried in the graveyard surrounding the church. The women asked if I could show them the grave, and produced a couple of torches from the church kitchen. So we all sallied out.

I got home to discover that someone had posted a "what is happening" query on Facebook. Apparently their window overlooked the graveyard and they thought that they had spotted bizarre scenes of suspected who-knows-what involving old women by torchlight in the graveyard.....

Fortunately I was able to quell the rumours before they got completely out of hand.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Nope, still haven't seen anything strange. I lead a sheltered life...

How does a conservative christian demonstrate the virtues of virginity using foodstuffs? Like this! [Eek!]

That is vile and ignorant. (It represents the vulva, not the vagina, and assumes variants are the result of activities, which they are not. No wonder girls want cosmetic surgery.)

I can't process this - the mind behind it is beyond belief corrupted from normal thought.

Does this belong in Heaven?

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
How does a conservative christian demonstrate the virtues of virginity using foodstuffs? Like this! [Eek!]

I think we're better confining this thread to things we've seen in RL - rather than icky memes wot I found on the 'net.

While the image is not inherently NSFW, the accompanying commentary does move it into Brain Bleach territory.

Firenze
Heaven Host

As I was driving home about sunset, facing east, I spotted a faint rainbow against cloud, rather like a sundog, but in totally the wrong place. By the time I managed to find a layby, it was brighter, and another part of the arc had become visible to the left. Neither part extended down to the ground, and there was no trace of rain at ground level. It never joined at the top, became faintly double and then faded away. I did photograph it with my phone, but I don't think it has worked well colourwise.

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

Ray Winstone has just been cast as Tobermory in a remake of "The Wombles". Ray. Winstone.

Although, thinking about it, you'd totally pick up your litter with him around.

Seeing as he's at a loose end these days, Boris Johnson could audition for Bungo. I mean, he wouldn't even need the makeup.

[ 08. July 2016, 10:27: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Doone (# 18470) on :

[Killing me]

I saw a delivery guy on a motorcycle going the wrong way on a one-way service road, quite in defiance of the law.

Down by the Aspley Basin in Huddersfield, a man riding a bike along the towpath. Where we saw him he was crossing the road, complete with vocal blue and orange parrot riding on the handlebars.

[ 10. July 2016, 14:21: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

An artist is sued because he claims he did not paint.

Kneelers in a Presbyterian church.

While that is a fascinating story, lilBuddha, (and not icky at all!) I would like to remind everyone that Firenze has just posted that this thread should be about things we've seen in RL.

I do think that your post would be perfect for the Interesting miscellany thread, however, and I will copy it there for you!

jedijudy
Heaven Host

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Kneelers in a Presbyterian church.

There have been rumours of such in Presbyterian and Congregational churches for generations. It is normally the sign of a high Calvinian minister*.

Jengie

*i.e. one who seeks to put into practice Calvin's teaching on worship, not just a take on his theology or church government.

Posted by Erik (# 11406) on :

I was at a wedding, sitting inside, when I happened to glance towards the door in time to see a rubber chicken, attached to a number of helium balloons, go floating past about 2 foot above the ground.

It's just gone 11:20pm and someone has walked past my window, down the road, playing a tuba! [Confused]

I say playing; that's a bit generous. They were blowing down it and some sounds came out.

A wren in my garden - hooray! Dismembering a butterfly or moth, or attempting to, while the insect attempted to escape. Oh dear!

Not seen but heard: a "spam" advertising phone call beginning, "Now that winter's here ...".

I know that the British weather is awful but ...! And that was the third time!

I occasionally cycle to work, and today I did. A deer was standing beside the trail. She did not look up as I passed, close enough to pat her. (I didn't -- we have deer ticks that spread Lyme disease around here.) She seemed to be pondering serious matters -- Brexit, or the world economy.

quote:
I occasionally cycle to work, and today I did. A deer was standing beside the trail. She did not look up as I passed, close enough to pat her. (I didn't -- we have deer ticks that spread Lyme disease around here.) She seemed to be pondering serious matters -- Brexit, or the world economy.

Given your location, probably contemplating getting out of D.C. after November's election.

As I was driving a few blocks from my home I saw four teenage boys walking (not quite marching) single file. The first and last had drum sets around their waists, which they were playing. I stopped at a stop sign, and as they crossed in front of me the second (drumless) boy looked over at me and grinned as if he and I were in on some joke. There were no phones evident (!), no signs, no indication of what their purpose was -- but they made me smile.
[Smile]

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

A woman was riding a bicycle with frame covered in garlands of faux flowers. I spoke to her, she grinned, and said she has a string of lights as well and turns them on after dark. -- no more eccentric than I am.

I saw a skunk snuffling around my bus stop last night. This is in the Bronx. I am told there are lots of skunks in that neighborhood, but I never saw one before.

There was me, outside, gardening today. That's pretty exceptional [Biased]

A 6' tall youth on a tiny little purple bike, sized about right for a 6 year old, cycling the wrong way up the road and performing manoeuvres.

His girlfriend was clearly embarrassed by him and just kept on walking (on the pavement) as if she had nothing to do with him while he circled round and avoided oncoming traffic and got stared at by lots of passersby.

I'm guessing they were taking the bike home to be given to a child of a more appropriate size, but you never know.

Yesterday, in Sainsbury's, the person in the queue next to me was buying 35 bags of ice. It seemed so excessive, I couldn't help but ask if the BFG was nearby and whether he had a sprained ankle.

I saw a car in the library parking lot with a license plate that said SWERVE.

I'm still trying to figure out what that's about.

Moo

I don't know either, but I'd take it seriously. [Biased]

quote:
Yesterday, in Sainsbury's, the person in the queue next to me was buying 35 bags of ice. It seemed so excessive, I couldn't help but ask if the BFG was nearby and whether he had a sprained ankle.

Sipech: and what did they reply?

quote:

Perhaps he had an old-fashioned ice-box at home, and was Panic Buying in anticipation of the hot weather.

In Arizona swimming pools become so warm in the summer that they're no longer refreshing -- more like a warm bath. I have heard of people buying large amounts of ice to cool off their pools. Somehow I doubt that this is the case where Sipech lives.

But we could agree that the story -could- be much better. Much! A body, let us say. In the bathtub. We have to keep it cool so that the neighbors don't get a whiff. Joey's going to be here after dark with the van, and we can get him out and bury him someplace. And then Mrs. Lovett says, "Seems a downright shame..."

It turns out it was for a summer party. I'm guessing half the neighbourhood had been invited, but I live in the half that wasn't.

She said "every year we run out of ice and I was determined it wouldn't happen again."

I should think that snubbing half the neighborhood would create enough chill.

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

The strangest thing I have seen this week is the Republican National Convention.

Very early this morning, a stocky elderly woman in shorts and ankle boots walking off with a bulging carrier bag stuffed with distinctive tall white flowers from a garden a few feet away, leaving a trail of petals behind.

The Knotweed and I have just followed a car, on our way back from ringing practice, with a coracle strapped to the roof.

Video deliberately picked for maximum lunacy. And Essex.

AG

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
The Knotweed and I have just followed a car, on our way back from ringing practice, with a coracle strapped to the roof.

Video deliberately picked for maximum lunacy. And Essex.

AG

Couldn't see Geraint Pillock, Wales best known coracler.

(sorry about video quality)

Cycling home last night, a Smart car drove trhe other way with a large clockwork-type key sticking out of the back.

AG

Oh lord, I want one!

I saw two drivers arguing. They were in the middle of rush hour traffic, separate cars and they rolled down the windows nearest each other and kept their cars perfectly aligned in order to continue to an argument.

You'd think with the build up of irate drivers behind that they could use their obvious skill in driving to better purpose.

Jengie

quote:
Oh lord, I want one!

Here you go!

quote:
quote:
Oh lord, I want one!

Here you go!
Many years ago there used to be a Fiat Bambina driven around Wellington (NZ) with a key attached - it didn't go around though. I always though a Volkswagon beetle would suit one too.

Huia

This afternoon I glanced up to see a small covered wagon of Wild West type design being towed by a big black Landrover. It did not appear to be part of some sideshow type thing but made to be used.. Bolted to the front was a large tool box.

As I left the office last night, walking round the back of Westminster Cathedral as I usually do, I walked past a man who was pulling along (via a tether) a skateboard upon which was stood a Scottish Terrier.

I thought I saw something strange in our local branch of Sainsbury's yesterday: a wooden bench, inscribed "In memory of ...". I remember reflecting that, at least, they hadn't put "... who loved this view", as the bench faced the checkouts rather than any lovely view.

My wife told me later that the bench had been installed to commemorate a young staff member who had died of cancer. So not strange but perfectly relevant, and I felt suitably abashed.

[ 27. July 2016, 08:13: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Doone (# 18470) on :

quote:
I thought I saw something strange in our local branch of Sainsbury's yesterday: a wooden bench, inscribed "In memory of ...". I remember reflecting that, at least, they hadn't put "... who loved this view", as the bench faced the checkouts rather than any lovely view.

My wife told me later that the bench had been installed to commemorate a young staff member who had died of cancer. So not strange but perfectly relevant, and I felt suitably abashed.

[Tear]

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I saw a delivery guy on a motorcycle going the wrong way on a one-way service road, quite in defiance of the law.

Ha! This reminds me of a certain Dire Straits song! "There was a girl in the runway corridor, stealing down a wrong-way street. For all the world, like an urban toreador, she had wheels on, on her feet!"

Sorry. I'm sort of in a strange mood. I ate a marijuana banana chip...

Carry on.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

My Saturday usually includes a quick cruise through the local PetSmart (no link, to save you the annoying website. It's a chain pet store) to ogle the kitties for adoption and get an occasional dog interaction.

This morning I saw a guy leave the checkout with 4 small food cat food cans, carried in a stack in one hand, and a 50 pound bag of dry dog food over the other shoulder.

I wish I'd had the chance to ask him about who he was buying those for.

Posted by nickel (# 8363) on :

I had heard of snout-nosed butterflies, but never saw one before last week. Not particularly pretty, but it caught my eye because I've been craving something other than cabbage-whites here at the new house. Google reveals that the one snout-nosed here, joins with potentially millions as it migrates south. Swarms can be troublesome to drive through. Imagine lots of bug-guts on your windshield. Or don't. It's gross.

quote:
I had heard of snout-nosed butterflies, but never saw one before last week. Not particularly pretty, but it caught my eye because I've been craving something other than cabbage-whites here at the new house.

I've never heard of them before. They look seriously weird.
[Ultra confused]

Huia

Not so much a strange thing in itself, but in context it was.

At the moment, we're staying in a rather grotty motel (we're moving into a flat on Tuesday), and this morning when we left to go to church there was a very flash black Lamborghini parked outside the next unit but one to ours.

Now why on earth would someone who could afford a Lambo be staying at the Motel Grottsville?

[Confused]

Perhaps they took out a huge loan to pay for the car and are now having to pay it back in instalments, leaving little money over for other frivolities?

1) You can't save up money for expensive cars by staying in expensive hotels.
2) Last chance to find somewhere for the night.
3) Stolen.
4) Drug dealers.

Last night an old friend came for dinner, a fellow organist. After dinner he produced a wedding Order of Service that he'd been handed 2 weeks ago when he arrived at the smallest church in the multi-parish benefice where he played. After many, many howlers (Lord of all hoplessness, anyone?) it reached a glorious climax: Exit Music (sic) The Cocaine Overture by Edmund Elgar [Killing me]

Not only that, but he was expected to play this on the ancient harmonium which is all the church has by way of an instrument [Killing me]

quote:
3) Stolen.
4) Drug dealers.

I love the combination of criminality and practicality in your suggestions.

Huia

quote:
3) Stolen.
4) Drug dealers.

5) A place for a tryst where no one they knew would be likely to see them.

Moo

In which case they ought to have garaged the car! (Unless Lamborghinis are so common in Fredericton that they are unremarkable).

[ 01. August 2016, 11:39: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
The Cocaine Overture by Edmund Elgar

The lesser-known brother and black sheep of the family.

Surprising rather than strange. I was on welcome duty at the church, with another woman. We were both standing at the door in full smile mode. A church member, a retired school teacher, also in full smile mode stepped off the pavement to cross over to the church, having failed to notice a speedy cyclist. Fortunately the cyclist missed her, but she exclaimed "FUCKING HELL!" before pulling herself together and returning to Sunday smile mode. We, the welcomers, fussed over her, pretending not to have heard, then we both cracked up once she was safely seated and out of earshot.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Overused]

quote:
quote:
The Cocaine Overture by Edmund Elgar

The lesser-known brother and black sheep of the family.
Sounds like a latter day P.D.Q. Bach.

All right, this is really strange, and not only did I see it, I ate it. A friend brought over some brownies, and only after eating one did I learn that they are flourless and made instead with black beans. I am horrified -- what a nasty thing to do to perfectly good chocolate!

So how did they taste before you knew the awful truth?

quote:
After many, many howlers (Lord of all hoplessness, anyone?) it reached a glorious climax: Exit Music (sic) The Cocaine Overture by Edmund Elgar [Killing me]

To be followed by Bach's "Coffee Cantata"?

This is something I heard on the Radio 4 Food Programme yesterday, which was about pulses (legumes) as an underused food source. What I found so strange were the statistics quoted. The average UK person eats:

(In the last week I have made salads based on a can of chick peas and a can of butter beans, plus cooked and eaten moong bean biryani. I last ate baked beans when I bought breakfast in a Youth Hostel, which is surprisingly only a month ago.)

Beans are a lovely gluten-free carbohydrate source and bean flours give a protein content to mimic gluten. Brownies are easy to make with different flours, so are often the only gluten-free food on a menu.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
So how did they taste before you knew the awful truth?

They tasted odd -- not in flavor (sugar and chocolate mask a great deal) but in texture. No real crumb, but rather fudgy.

Aren't brownies supposed to be fudgy?
I prefer them with beetroot as an additive!

[ 02. August 2016, 16:35: Message edited by: Penny S ]

These were not precisely fudgy, they were weird. I bought some oatmeal raisin cookies today, to help me recover.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

I made brownies a few times containing red kidney beans. The texture and taste was just right but daughter Erin now asks me suspiciously what I've hidden in anything I've baked.

Better errin' on the side of caution, then.

Groan of the Month Award! [Overused]

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Better errin' on the side of caution, then.

[Big Grin]

Young woman in leather Robin Hood hat with red feather accompanied by chap in cardboard gold crown followed by person dressed as furry chicken. Edinburgh in August.

Some bloke dressed as Spiderman standing on a traffic island holding a signboard advertising a local pizza company and gesturing at passing cars.

I think it was meant to be a friendly wave in the direction of his signboard but it was a bit hard to tell.

Graffiti on the glass rear of the village bus shelter, done in the sort of pen the police use in detective stories, bright yellow:

NASA LIES
MOON LANDING
HOAX!

Maybe not so strange, except that on the side window the same hand had added:

JESUS
IS
TRUTH
-----
-----

And then on a disused and messy door:

MOON
LANDING
WAS A
HOAX

And then on a phone box:

NASA
LIES!!!

And on the wall behind the box, over a Fire Point (red notice, picture of firefighter's helmet and flames - I'm not sure how much a sign of cleverness in the writer this is.)

ARE U
SAVED?

A mother pushing a pushchair noticed me taking pictures to share with my friend from NASA and said she thought it was awful having this graffiti everywhere.

[ 08. August 2016, 18:14: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Ha. It was just yesterday that I had to explain the whole "moon landing was faked" thingy and exactly how tinfoil hats are supposed to work. [Roll Eyes]

What's really weird is the link between the hoax and evangelism.

© Ship of Fools 2016