Thread: Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god. Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029817

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

Said Francis Bacon once upon a time.

As that feminist icon, and poster girl of the faith based patriarchy - a Celibate Never Married Woman* - I invite one and all, in a similar state, to contribute to a discussion of the joys and benefits of the single life.

If we are gods, what are our glories ?

*Patriarchal icon status non-revocable on discovery deep seated attraction to Sandi Toksvig, and short funny women in general.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Never having to answer questions such as "What are you looking at him for? Aren't I attractive to you anymore?"

Posted by St Deird (# 7631) on :

Putting something down, and knowing it'll still be there three days later. I miss that...

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I love having my own bed and not having to share it, the freedom of the space in it. Nobody grumping at me first thing in the morning. Wholehearted enjoyment of books, art, music, whatever without any guilt. If I want to spend half an hour soaking in the bath I can. I can get up whenever I like at weekends and suddenly decide to go out for the day or even go away for the weekend. If I'm travelling and decide to stop off in London for dinner on the way back and am a couple of hours late home, I don't have to ring anyone and apologize, forewarn, make arrangements for their own dinner or anything.

In short, not having to give up things I like and to squash the element of spontaneity. The freedom to decide things on the spur of the moment and just do them. To be able to be yourself.

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:
Putting something down, and knowing it'll still be there three days later. I miss that...

Wait until you're middle-aged. I can never remember where I put the remote control 20 seconds ago...

It's rather difficult to say, given that solitude is just normal, everyday life that I've lived for years. If anything, though, I must say that I appreciate not having to creep around my own home once it's gone past 10pm, lest I disturb someone else - a feature that typifies any stay I have with relatives.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

Having my own way.

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I appreciate not having to creep around my own home once it's gone past 10pm, lest I disturb someone else - a feature that typifies any stay I have with relatives.

Or before 8am. I don't even like to stay with friends, let alone relatives. Give me a private hotel room. You can call when you're ready to have me come over and spend the day with you.

Solitude -- making my own plans without having to worry if the mate will approve.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
In short, not having to give up things I like and to squash the element of spontaneity. The freedom to decide things on the spur of the moment and just do them. To be able to be yourself.

This!! I get to spend time (or not) with the people I choose. Sister calls asking me to come visit? No problem! Spur of the moment desire to walk in the parks at dinner time? There's nobody whining that I have to feed them before I go, and I can have a bowl of oatmeal if I like when I get home.

Plus, the thermostat is mine. All mine!

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

Here is the soundtrack for this thread, by the incomparable Stephen Sondheim.

You have space to think.

You can be sure that you'll find the toilet seat in the exact same position you left it.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
You can be sure that you'll find the toilet seat in the exact same position you left it.

Ah yes, but is it up or down? [Devil]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

That's not always a good thing. I fell in last night-but-one after forgetting to put the seat down again after unpleasant episodes of the viral type.

Nobody to blame but me. [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

The number of negotiations to get through life are significantly reduced.

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

Assuming that for our purposes singlehood also means childlessness(because if it doesn't, a lot of the blessings on this thread don't apply)...

The simple fact of not having kids. If you want it more specific, I guess not having to factor the welfare of another person or persons into every decision you make.

That said, I am concsious of a certain free-rider problem here, as I was in my early forties the last time I had to crash at my mother's apartment for a few months. Though I probably wouldn't mind doing the same thing for an ADULT relative in need of temporary lodgings.

No one objects to my ham hock and pickle burritos nor my spending the evening with hiking gear spread over the sitting room floor so I can weigh it on the kitchen scales.

Or my defleshing rabbit skin in the kitchen sink, and tanning it in the hall.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

I have always owned cars with manual transmissions, and have generally formed intimate, sensual relationships with them (the gearboxes, that is). My Dear Wife has never had such feelings, and after 44 years of otherwise happy marriage, shows no signs of developing them. A low point in our early days came when I casually mentioned to her that I was glad I was her husband and not her gearbox. It makes me an impossible passenger, but with no longing to be single again.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

The mind boggles. Now if it had been an automatic...

I just finished having exactly what I wanted to have for dinner tonight -- not what someone else wanted me to have.

© Ship of Fools 2016