Thread: July Book Group: Memory, by Lois Mc Master Bujold Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029823

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

Is it July already? Then it's time to start thinking about the July book, We selected Memory, a science fiction novel by Lois McMaster Bujold.

It should be easy to get a copy. Over on Ebay you can get a mass market paperback for 99 cents. It was a major award winner, and published in all formats world wide, so scope out your local public library or your nearby used book store. You can also buy the ebook edition over at the publisher, at
Baen Books' web site.

It is a notably fast read -- all the Vorkosigan novels are like falling down a well, not a dull page in them. So let's begin, and I'll poke around and find fun web sites and things to help tis thread stay afloat.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

I'm in! I bought the whole series after you recommended it and went on to buy everything she ever wrote. Just got 'Penric and the Shaman', but saving it until I've reread the rest of the Chalion series (just because).

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

I'm in too - just bought it for my Kindle and wil start reading when I've finished the detective novel I'm currently ploughing through (I'm finding it a bit dull).

This is a famously common reaction; Bujold's books partake of the nature of methamphetamine. Think of me as Walter White, standing in the Arizona desert and pressing upon you a free sample. Just one, pal, see if you like it...

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Always Bujold. Have to find my copy, somewhere in the apartment after my move, and reread it.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Definitely crack--I started reading her stuff about 5 months ago, and have gone through everything once and parts of the Vorkosigan series up to 7 rereads. Beware.

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

I'm in. Will be delaying the re-reading of book until after a job interview on Thurs, as I need to be thinking/talking about that rather than mercs or nobility!

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

I'll look around for a copy and see if I can join you.

I've not read any of the Vorkosigan series, but I liked Chalion a lot. I've avoided this series because I have a wariness about long serials and rat-holes. If I disappear after falling down this one, it's all Brenda's fault.

It's utterly addictive, the crack cocaine of the genre. I have warned people to pace themselves. Do not devour all 14 volumes (or whatever it is up to) in one week, or one month. Pace yourself, rationing the books to one a month so as to spin the experience out. Because once they're all devoured, you have nowhere to go. You'll be sitting on the sidelines with the rest of us, grumbling about why Bujold is not writing faster, and whether there is some way to render her immortal.

Found it. About to start rereading.

Memory is one of my favorites of the series, I've read it quite a few times already.

Posted by Landlubber (# 11055) on :

I have bought a copy, but now I'm afraid to open it [Biased]

Posted by Net Spinster (# 16058) on :

Been a fan for well over 20 years. The only caveat on Memory might be whether Mirror Dance should be read first.

As for Memory, look out for elephants. I feel Memory is where Miles learns that an earlier statement of his: "I've got forward momentum. There's no virtue in it. It's just a balancing act. I don't dare stop." Which worked for several books (and years) won't always work.

Mirror Dance is a tough read, and not the one I'd begin on. One reason why it is OK to not begin at the beginning, is that Bujold is very very good indeed about making the series friendly to new readers. Begin anywhere, any volume, and you should be OK. She has gone so far as to find people who have never read any of the series, to read the current manuscript, and see if there is anything they don't understand.

The other reason Memory is a good one for us is, it's the hinge work. Because the books evolve as the series go on; they are not just slices cut off the same bold of cloth. The characters evolve and grow. The volumes that precede Memory are closer to space opera. As the quotation above indicates, Miles moves fast. He does so in this book too, and if you like that, you go back to the earlier volumes and are delighted.

But it's also the work where Miles his the wall and bounces. He has changed; things have changed, and the old answers no longer compute. So he learns, and changes, and the following books carry that on, so if you like this direction you go forward and have a grand time.

FWIW the first book in the series that I read was A Civil Campaign. Not the ideal one to begin on, you say, and I agree. Didn't make a particle of difference. (It happened to be in the library on the day I was there.)

My first was the Vor Game. Her newer books do tend to cause one to reevaluate stuff in earlier books and to appreciate them more (though the earlier books are rougher). Learning about how some people perceive Ivan in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance made me wonder what exactly he went through in the Vor Game and if he knew one of his worst fears was likely to become true.

I agree that Memory is a hinge book and it will be interesting to see virgin Bujold readers experience of it. Beside Miles it also deepens what we know of Simon, Gregor, Alys, and Ivan.

All right, here's a fun link. The award-winning fantasy writer Jo Walton has blogged for years over on her publisher's web site. She's a Miles fan and has blogged about all the books in the series. Here is the one about Memory. Note that she thinks that Memory is the worst volume to begin on! You can click around and find all her other posts on the subject, there are lots.

I think the worst one to begin on would be the newest one, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen. I though Memory would be a bad one to begin on until I reread it thinking of it in that way, and changed my mind.

I did not like Jole nearly so well as the others. Nor is Vorpatril a favorite. A worrying trend.

But how did you feel about Penric?

I think she may be tired of the Nexus though she won't do as Doyle did and kill off the main character (or maybe she will, the worst thing I can imagine for Aral Alexander is for his father to die while he is still a minor or young adult and having to live up to the reputations of his great grandfather, his grandfather (and grandmother), and his father). She might want to rest for a while and just write the occasional novella.

I liked Vorpatril though it is not as good as her top ones but then I have this vision of Ivan being a character who has evaded the author for some 20+ years (an author who has said she likes doing the worst thing possible to her main character) in his characteristic merging to the background. Finally in Vorpatril she drops him into a marriage that he has been avoiding for some 10+ years in book time and only half-heartedly been serious about for a few more.

But back to Memory where the main character is Miles, who is driven to not be in the background or in fact anywhere except as leader (Gregor and his parents excepted). This is a drive that leads him not to reveal his seizures (except to a doctor he trusts and who he hopes can find a cure) since it would mean removal from the field at least temporarily (and therefore removal as an admiral of a mercenary fleet). He doesn't even reveal it to his lover, Elli, or to his second-in-command, Baz, or to Elena and the latter two are oathbound to him which should mean they won't go to ImpSec (though, I suppose, Elena might tell Miles' mother or possibly Mark [depending on how oaths work]).

In the latter books I see a distressing impulse to lay everybody neatly back into the box, the 'happily ever after' syndrome. There is a reluctance to totally overset the status quo, which she was quite free from earlier in the series. I miss that wild liberty.

Penric was okay, but frankly there needs to be tons more of it to see if it is worth while. I still maintain that Curse of Chalion is her best fantasy.

However! As to Miles. He is fascinating, one of those ongoing characters who truly grows and develops over time. There are masses of characters in series (all superheroes, all TV and movie characters, for instance) who cannot -- are not allowed to -- change in any way. You got a winning formula with a rich guy dressing like a bat, why change it? He makes mistakes, colossal ones, and very nearly always pulls it out of the hole. It's thrilling to watch Miles gun the engine and try to jump over the Grand Canyon.

And he was one of the first really physically-disabled characters in the genre. Bujold cunningly allowed him to gradually recover from his disabilities (hi-tech SF cures), and then neatly socked him with a different but equally disabling issue.

So what do the new readers think of Miles? Did Simon and Gregor let him off easy given what he did?

I wouldn't call it easy at all. His ImpSec position (and the way it makes possible the Naismith role) is basically the center of his life, at least consciously. In this book he begins to find that he actually has something more to him than the little Admiral role--but it takes the whole book for him to figure that out fully. So he starts off suicidal, which is logical, as what he considers his very self has been destroyed.

And it is visible in this book, but if you have read the earlier ones it is even more notable, how core the being able to serve the Imperium is, not only to Miles's nature but to the entire self-image of the Barrayaran male.
All the guys want to be in the armed forces; if you can't then you're automatically less -- less desirable to chicks, less cool, less of a man. Unless you can get into ImpSec, which allows you to weasel out of the physical fitness requirements of being a soldier and is nearly as cool. And now Miles has lost that too. He has lost all the affirmation of his culture that he worked so hard to earn.

I wouldn't quite say all Barrayar men though the exceptions are pretty rare. Imperial Auditor Vorthys doesn't seem very military oriented (though we don't really meet him until Komarr).

If Elena and Baz had decided to stay with the fleet would Miles had decided otherwise perhaps by talking to Elena or would he have ignored her advice as much as he did Elli's? Elena was more likely to have known how to appeal to his Barrayaran sense of duty.

(small fangirl post)
Although Miles is the hero of this series, and it is clear that Aral is the character that powers the story in the author's creative processes, the person I most admire is Gregor. He's the one under the harrow, stuck by every tooth of Barrayar. This book is particularly fine for Gregor fans, because in this one the sad Emperor finally gets through to some of the good things in life. The pony. The cream cakes. OMG.

And, are there recipes? Yes there are! The books are far-famed for their food, and energetic fans have stepped into the breach.

Newtburgers? [Eek!] Bug butter [Eek!] [Eek!]

...although I'd hire Ma Kosti as a cook too, if I got the chance. Better than Andre Norton's e-rations.

I like the way Ivan's character develops in this book - the whole subplot about the Vorrutyer succession is great comedy (the scene at the shuttleport is priceless) but also manages to slide a(nother) serious issue in without either derailing the whole book or making the characters less believable.

Yes, the whole book's about identity, but not just about Miles's identity.

In every SF novel (and to some extent fantasy) there is a Thing, a concept, that is the main wow factor. In Star Trek it was the 'going where no man has gone before' thing -- an endless menu of new worlds to briefly dip into, like a tapas restaurant.
In LOTR it is, not the Ring as a power object per se -- if that were all it would simply be a MacGuffin. It is the Ring's corrupting power, that you use it and are damned. But you have to use it, oh yes my precious.
So! in the Vorkosigan series the wow is all in biotech. Barrayar suffers a social revolution when gene modification arrives -- the Vorrutyer thing is just perfect. Each book pokes a stick into a different aspect of this central issue, teasing out new implications.

I think one of the other things that struck me about the Vorkosigan series is... the arts. So many SF writers describe their technologies in loving detail and ignore art, literature, music... dance... Bujold's cultures are more well-rounded.

I'd have said children was the theme running through the whole series. So many of the plots turn on rescuing children, or wanting to have children, and how biotech is used (and abused) in pursuit of this goal.

One other theme that seems to be running through the series is self-knowledge, starting with Cordelia and Aral in Shards of Honour, and going on from there.

Personally I've been interested to see more of Ivan's thinking in Civil Campaign and then in Vorpatril - I did wonder if he was ever going to grow up! I haven't read more than the taster chapters on Baen for Jole yet, as I have no shelf space for hardbacks, and given the dollar:pound exchange rate and local government budgets the library might not be getting it for a little while [Frown]

I don't suppose you do ebooks -- Baen is very good with them. One of my great triumphs was buying the first edition hardback of CRYOBURN -- this was the one with the disc in the back, that had all the Vorkosigan novels on it!

Oh, I do do e-books, but I still haven't sorted out a tablet or e-reader. My 30 min lunch break today is split between the Ship and A Liaden Constellation volume 3 on Baen [Yipee] . The Oxon library copy of Cryoburn still had the CD in when I borrowed it, so I copied it (permission is given on CD to copy for personal use only [Smile] ).

I just prefer hardcopy, especially when I have all the others that way. (Plus it's easier on my eyes and means I can read in bed and in the bath).

Posted by Helen-Eva (# 15025) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

I like the way Ivan's character develops in this book - the whole subplot about the Vorrutyer succession is great comedy (the scene at the shuttleport is priceless) but also manages to slide a(nother) serious issue in without either derailing the whole book or making the characters less believable.

Totally agree. Ivan is one of my favourite characters and the Vorrutyer plot is so perfect in the way it mucks around with the patriarchy.

Btw it may be confusing that there are two of us with an orange as our icon picture posting on this thread. Not sure what I can do about that except apologise. I really like that orange...

[ 12. July 2016, 12:03: Message edited by: Helen-Eva ]

I have never been able to figure out how to make SoF do an icon, so I gave up.
I forget whether it's this book or the next, that Ivan and his mom go to the place where his father died. But all of Miles's family, out to the uttermost cousins, have had hugely tragic blows to them over the years. The slow revelation that Ivan's facade is protective coloration is really great.

quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
Btw it may be confusing that there are two of us with an orange as our icon picture posting on this thread. Not sure what I can do about that except apologise. I really like that orange...

And we both like Ivan.

Given this is the ship we could talk about religion in the Nexus. It doesn't show up much in the books though Cordelia is a theist of some sort. Barrayar doesn't seem to have any priests. Miles does have to redefine himself in this book, almost a religious experience (wrestling with temptation), so perhaps the religion is deeper down (life stance as Norway might categorize it).

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I forget whether it's this book or the next, that Ivan and his mom go to the place where his father died. But all of Miles's family, out to the uttermost cousins, have had hugely tragic blows to them over the years. The slow revelation that Ivan's facade is protective coloration is really great.

Vorpatril's Alliance where Alys hands the annual ritual over to Ivan (and Tej). Mirror Dance has Ivan take Mark to the location. It must make a deep impression on Ivan that every single one of his birthdays (unless he is off-planet and possibly while he was in military school [and even then Alys may have gotten him to attend, it helps being the Emperor's official hostess]) starts with a dawn ritual remembering the murder of the father he never knew.

Posted by Lord Jestocost (# 12909) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
So what do the new readers think of Miles? Did Simon and Gregor let him off easy given what he did?

Sorry, late to this discussion. As I recall, Simon roasts Miles as only Simon can, at a temperature of about 200 degrees below - and then essentially says that Miles has been let off easy, giving him the option of a medical discharge rather than being sacked, in consideration of all his previous service. Simon's (and Gregor's) definition of "easy" does not match that of lesser mortals.

Simon getting arsy is always a pleasure to behold, from a distance.

Oh, and here's another thrilling side issue: the role of women. Bujold embodies this beautifully in the role and development of the Koudelka sisters, Delia, Olivia, Martya and Kareen. I love them all. Their mom was a pioneer and the daughters are especially fun as they spread out and do different things. And it is amusing to see them from Miles's point of view: they are playmates, possible love objects, but never really quite right.
Here's a good sisters question: Who are they named after? Delia is clearly named after Cordelia, Kareen after the late Princess, and Olivia seems to be a high-class girl name (Aral's mother was Olivia Vorbarra). But who is/was Martya?

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:

OK. This is tangential to this thread so let's try to avoid a discussion about it here. But go into your own profile and scroll down to where it says, in red, "Select a different avatar". Click on that to get a few pages of pre-set ones. If you want something different, contact an admin who for a small fee will set one up for you.

And now, back to the discussion of "Memory".

Does anybody have a clue why ImpSec uses silver Horus eyes? It seems an odd choice when most everything else is Russian-influenced (or Greek, or Spanish...)

Martya and Olivia might be the names of relatives of Drou or Kou.

On Imperial Security, did they exist before recontact? I'm inclined to think later since earlier the emperor probably used his armsmen (perhaps then making a distinction between the armsmen he was due as a count [and limiting those to 20] and ImpSec which is loyal to him as emperor [and could be as large as he wanted]). The Horus eyes might be something picked up elsewhere from the Nexus (perhaps Negri chose them as he certainly made his mark on ImpSec). Or maybe they were on some stray prints that weren't lost during the time of isolation.

It is also significant that Drou and Kou were of the first generation who could select the genders of their offspring. And they quadrupled down on girls, very smart. Because everyone else on Barrayar was going crazy for boys. Giving the girls high-class names also was smart, to encourage marrying up.

It being about mid-month, perhaps most of us have finished reading the book and are ready to discuss?
In the meantime, here's the Vorkosigan wiki, which should answer -any- questions you might have about who and what!

quote:
It being about mid-month, perhaps most of us have finished reading the book and are ready to discuss?
In the meantime, here's the Vorkosigan wiki, which should answer -any- questions you might have about who and what!

We learned in Mirror Dance that there is a list of people who have Gregor's as close to direct as possible line (Mark is given it and Ivan comments that that list is very short). We see Miles use it in Memory. We know Ivan has it. Who else has it? Aral and Cordelia certainly. Henri Vorvolk also (Gregor's close friend from school). Alys? Drou?

What was your favorite scene in the book? I'm not sure I can make up my mind. Alys demanding from Miles what is happening with Simon. Miles and Simon on the lake. Ivan giving Miles an ice bath.

I'm still reading. According to my kindle I'm about 65% through Memory.. As a complete beginner to the books I'm really enjoying it so far. I told my husband about it and he is starting at the beginning of the series. Not sure if that is the best part to start or not.
Anyway I'm happy if people want to start talking about the book. I'll join in when I've finished.

Is he beginning with the first book about Cordelia, or Warrior's Apprentice, the first book about Miles? I confess to a powerful weakness for the first two books about Cordelia, which were collected under the overarching title Shards of Honor.

My favorite bit of Memory is the ending. Those who are just arriving there, I won't spoil it for you. But as you read, observe how it doesn't end abruptly, all problems solved, ring into volcano, boom. There's a steady deceleration of problems to face and be solved. =Very= neatly done, by a master hand.

Actually the first book is Shards of Honor, which together with Barrayar (the sequel) is called Cordelia's Honor (overarching title for the pair).

I adore Barrayar, especially her shopping trip to the capital, where she comes back with a nevermind in a shopping bag. [Devil]

Yes, that's one of the best bits in the series.

And it has the most delicious repercussions on down through the series, too. In the next book, Komarr, someone suggests that they go shopping, and Miles replies that that isn't an invitation that a son of his mother often gets.

And there's a reference to it in Diplomatic Immunity too.

Well too much indulgence in wine on Saturday meant I didn't fancy doing anything much more than lying in bed finishing Memory yesterday morning. So I'm now up to discussing it. I've certainly enjoyed it enough to download the next in the series for my holiday next week.

The book my husband is reading is Falling Free which seems to be a bit apart from some of the other books in the series.

Well here's a Q. Let's think about parents. One of the things this series is about is the influence that parents have on people.
Should Cordelia and Aral have tried to influence Miles more firmly? What about Mark? And Cordelia and Aral have their followers; it is clear for instance that Kou and Drou are raising their kids along more modern lines.
It is significant that Miles finally moves into old Piotr's fancy suite.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Well too much indulgence in wine on Saturday meant I didn't fancy doing anything much more than lying in bed finishing Memory yesterday morning. So I'm now up to discussing it. I've certainly enjoyed it enough to download the next in the series for my holiday next week.

The book my husband is reading is Falling Free which seems to be a bit apart from some of the other books in the series.

Yes Falling Free is early (in Bujold's writing career) and a bit apart from the others (notably it is set a couple of hundred years earlier).

My first thoughts on Brenda's questions:

quote:
Well here's a Q. Let's think about parents. One of the things this series is about is the influence that parents have on people.
Should Cordelia and Aral have tried to influence Miles more firmly?

Speaking as the mother of a child who is currently experiencing major health issues (albeit not on the scale Miles suffered), I'm amazed he grew up so well-adjusted. It must have been so tempting to spoil him and wrap him in cotton wool. Instead they stand aside and let him try to measure up to the Barrayaran ideal of militarized manhood, despite being physically frail and nearly a foot shorter than he should have been.

Thinking about Miles's childhood makes me feel a bit sorry for Ivan, actually. It becomes clear in the later books of the series that he's not actually stupid - except by comparison with Miles - and doesn't deserve to be referred to as Ivan-you-idiot by everyone. And he must have spent quite a lot of his childhood being overshadowed by Gregor (the Emperor) and Miles (boy genius) without being able to relieve his frustrations by punching them... I bet he *really* enjoyed throwing Miles into that cold bath. It's amazing they stayed friends.

quote:
What about Mark?
I think Cordelia and Aral handle the sudden revelation that they have an unsolicited second son quite well, actually. The problem with Mark is that when they become aware of his existence he is legally an adult. He doesn't *have* to have anything to do with them at all, but it's nice to see him coming to terms in this book with the fact that he doesn't have to be a second Miles; that he is valued for himself and welcomed into the family, warts and all.

quote:
And Cordelia and Aral have their followers; it is clear for instance that Kou and Drou are raising their kids along more modern lines.
Up to a point, Lord Copper... thinking of their reaction to events in 'A Civil Campaign', there are still a few old-Barrayaran prejudices in there.

quote:
It is significant that Miles finally moves into old Piotr's fancy suite.
Yes, I suppose that's when he finally accepts his own place as an adult in Barrayaran society. Until the events in 'Memory' he's never stayed at home long enough to care that everyone thinks he's a non-entity and he's still sleeping in the same room he had as a child.

[ 18. July 2016, 14:33: Message edited by: Jane R ]

A lot of the parenting is a reaction -- Aral reacting to Count Piotr's harsh stance, Cordelia bringing her own more Galactic POV into the system. I can't remember which book it was, in which Aral said that his goal in life was to raise a sane and adult Emperor, and then hand over the job to him. But there's a real sense in which the Vorkosigans are teaching the younger ones how to be decent adults. There are some very fine scenes in the other books of Aral and Cordelia teaching Kou this, for instance.
And in reaction to their position, Miles seems to have assimilated a great deal of his grandfather's militaristic outlook. He went into the Academy solely because of the old man, for instance.

Not surprising though, when he had to have a bodyguard practically from birth to stop his grandfather trying to kill him. There's more than a touch of 'See? My mother was right to let me live" about it, and I agree that the old Count is the main reason why Miles half kills himself to get into the Academy.

I suppose this book is the point where he finally gives up trying to outdo Count Piotr and accepts that what he's achieved (even before his second career kicks off) is pretty impressive and stands comparison with his parents' and grandfather's achievements.

Another fun way to analyze these books is the doubling. There are two of Miles, his Miles persona and the quite different Admiral Naismith person. And he is further doubled with his clone twin, Mark. Mark at least seems to have a clear idea of his own identity, and is not interested at all in becoming either of Miles's persona. But this book is about Miles, finally figuring out who he is.

As a total newbie to this series I thought Miles parents came across as typical parents of an adult child that they are worried about but don't want to show it as they are aware that they are an adult and in charge of their own choices.
What I liekd in the story was the mix of detective story (though I guessed the 'villan' fairly early on), sic-fi and romance. The mix of cultures was interesting too.

So this was your first Miles book? Did you have any problem with understanding the back story?

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Mark at least seems to have a clear idea of his own identity, and is not interested at all in becoming either of Miles's persona.

I don't think Mark really knows who he is yet, either. Mirror Dance is, in part, about Mark figuring out who he isn't, but it's really not until A Civil Campaign that Mark coheres around a positive image.

Brenda Clough said:
quote:
So this was your first Miles book? Did you have any problem with understanding the back story?
I'm sure there were nuances in the story I missed through not having read the earlier books, but it didn't impact on my enjoyment. As you said it's a hinge books, Miles is leaving an old life behind for a new one.

There is a whole separate discussion that could be had about Ivan and his role. If Aral is in line for the imperial throne (Miles is out, because of his disabilities -- one could not imagine Barrayarans tolerating a handicapped ruler) then Ivan is equally in the lineup. Aral is able to avoid trouble by energetically devoting himself to Gregor's service and being his guardian and consigliere. Ivan can't do this. So he found another workaround. Nobody hoping to front a revolution with their own Emperor would select Ivan because he is an idiot.

quote:
There is a whole separate discussion that could be had about Ivan and his role. If Aral is in line for the imperial throne (Miles is out, because of his disabilities -- one could not imagine Barrayarans tolerating a handicapped ruler) then Ivan is equally in the lineup. Aral is able to avoid trouble by energetically devoting himself to Gregor's service and being his guardian and consigliere. Ivan can't do this. So he found another workaround. Nobody hoping to front a revolution with their own Emperor would select Ivan because he is an idiot.

Actually they might if they think he can be manipulated. Ivan's other skill is fading to the background. Admittedly learning more about Ivan gives a different perspective of him leaping to tackle Vordrozda in Warrior's Apprentice. Not only was he saving Gregor but he was also saving himself from getting a job he does not want, emperor.

So Ivan's role in Memory. The one Duv turns to when needing to enter Vorkosigan house looking for Miles (this despite Duv's likely less than happy memories having Ivan as a subordinate in Brothers in Arms). The one Miles turns to when needing a second pair of hands and eyes when investigating what is happening with Simon (and Gregor agrees to this). Ivan is moving, for those who know him, from idiot to dependable (and not flashy except for the ice bath for Miles).

We also have Duv's role in the book, an outsider not only not Vor but not Barrayaran (but one who has studied Barrayar in depth). One who has a plan for his life including who and how he intends to marry which fails badly (admittedly Miles' marital plans go seriously awry also and Ivan will do it completely backwards).

The idea of Ivan proposing to two sisters in such quick succession is hysterically funny.

One of the other themes in the books is the gradual opening of Barrayar. This is exemplified in the various marriages that people contract. Cordelia was a shocking bride for Aral to haul home; by the end of the series everybody has married 'out' mainly because of the dearth of chicks on the planet.

quote:
The idea of Ivan proposing to two sisters in such quick succession is hysterically funny.

One of the other themes in the books is the gradual opening of Barrayar. This is exemplified in the various marriages that people contract. Cordelia was a shocking bride for Aral to haul home; by the end of the series everybody has married 'out' mainly because of the dearth of chicks on the planet.

Well not completely shocking; Aral's maternal grandmother was also Betan. Cordelia is in a class of one as far as shocking people.

Ivan asking two sisters in a row and then in a later book thinking he stopped too soon and should have asked the third sister after the first two turned him down. Perhaps we should consider why Ivan panics and thinks he needs to settle down (though the panic only seems to last two books before he mostly reverts to short-term girlfriends). Note the sisters are safe. They don't come with an extended politically powerful family (in contrast to all the Vor young women that Alys presents to him [and also to Gregor]). He knows them well (just as he knows [or thinks he does] the one Vor woman he later considers marrying). And they aren't pursuing him (admittedly Ivan was a bit of a lout in his youth).

I am sure maternal pressure drove a good deal of Ivan's panic. Also razzing from Miles.

Another character who goes through an interesting transition in this book is Illyan (obviously). After nearly forty years as the man with the perfect memory, he suddenly loses his chip and has to adjust to being an ordinary fallible human being. In the process, we learn that he's been in love with Alys Vorpatril for most of his life, he likes music and he thinks fishing without dynamite is dull.

But did he lose his identity when the chip failed, or when it was implanted? Or was it the job that swallowed him up, and he was only able to become himself when he was discharged on medical grounds (like Miles)?

Actually that is a fascinating thought -- that they both had to get out on disability before they could become able to love. (It is significant that Miles can't find a wife until the next book or so.) One of the ongoing issues of the entire series is how a planet/culture devours people. Barrayar devours you in quite a different way than Cetaganda.

quote:
Actually that is a fascinating thought -- that they both had to get out on disability before they could become able to love. (It is significant that Miles can't find a wife until the next book or so.) One of the ongoing issues of the entire series is how a planet/culture devours people. Barrayar devours you in quite a different way than Cetaganda.

Except Miles was able to find love; just not a person willing to settle down with him on Barrayar. Admittedly it was probably because he always courted them in his Admiral Naismith role and not the role he wanted them to settle down with. Simon wasn't getting anything (admittedly if he had and the relationship broke up he would never ever have been able to forget or have it fade). The presumably very polite formal relationship with Alys was safe. One wonders if Alys was also avoiding relationships because the step-father of a potential heir (at least while Ivan was a minor) could lead to problems (see Kareen's comments to Cordelia in Barrayar). I wonder how Alys became Gregor's official hostess. Did Aral recommend her or did Simon because it would allow him to interact with her on a daily basis (as well as her being very competent for the job).

Miles had no problem with loving. I see no reason to think his love for both Taura and Ellie Quinn was anything other than sincere. What Miles had was a problem being loved, in anything other than his Admiral Naismith persona.

I think Alys is also Gregor's aunt (I'd have to look at the family tree to be sure). Since Cordelia is a) his foster mother and b) from off planet and not clued in about Barrayaran etiquette, she would not be a good choice for hostess. Also c) she was going to go with Aral and be Vicereine of Sergyar. Alys may simply have been the nearest female relative of the right age/rank. (Drou is not Vor, for instance.) Poor Gregor doesn't have all that much family left on the ground any more.

No, I'm pretty sure the relationship is not that close. And Gregor does have cousins on his mother's side, mention is made of them in planning the wedding in A Civil Campaign. I think it's more a matter of, she was in the right circle, had the right rank and ability, and basically was in the right place at the right time with the right talents.

Nicolemr:
quote:
What Miles had was a problem being loved, in anything other than his Admiral Naismith persona.
They loved *him*; they didn't love his planet. Perhaps part of the problem was that Miles had put so much of himself into 'Admiral Naismith' that 'Lord Vorkosigan' was a non-entity. Ivan says he's never seen Miles 'come the little Admiral' as himself/Lord Vorkosigan before.

I suppose the other part of the problem was that Miles loved his home planet too much to give up his real identity, and loved Ellie too much to force her into giving up her own identity as Admiral Quinn.

That's presumably why all these women find him so irresistible; he encourages them to do amazing things, and rejoices in their achievements. He doesn't expect them to pretend to be less than they are in order to prop up his ego.

(eta: Nicole, I think Alys is referred to more than once as Gregor's 'senior female relative'?)

[ 25. July 2016, 09:41: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Here is a family tree. If you click around you can blow it up bigger.
From this I calculate that Alys's husband Padma and Gregor share a great-great-grandfather. Alys's maiden name is unknown, but she is clearly Vor. Everyone calls her Aunt Alys (even Gregor, am I right?).

What it doesn't tell you is who her parents were. She could be descended from another branch of the Vorbarra family tree and so be related to Gregor in her own right as well as via her marriage to Padma Vorpatril. In fact this seems more likely than not, given that the Vor class tend to marry amongst themselves and that Barrayar has been isolated from the rest of the galaxy for 600 years.

I have to go back and read BARRAYAR to see if Alys's family is mentioned. She does some pretty impressive things in that book.

Here's a Q about the actual book, and not the Vorkosiverse in general. What do you think of the crime and the solution? Do you find Haroche's corruption convincing?

Yes, I think so. Certainly the cover-up and attempts at framing ring true. The original crime, a little less so, but given the intensity of the motive, I think so.

Ivan and Gregor are second cousins once removed. Dorca the Just is the great great grandfather of Ivan (Xav, Sonia, Padma, Ivan) and great grandfather of Gregor (unknown daughter married to Ezar, Serg, Gregor). Ivan and Miles are second cousins.

It is I think a minor failing that we don't know Alys' natal family given the emphasis the Vor have on family; Ivan does mention some maternal cousins in a later book but no names. Drou btw is known to substitute for Alys at times as official hostess. It seems during the regency Cordelia would have been the official hostess though Alys would have been the effective hostess (and in charge in her eyes of finding Gregor a suitable bride given Cordelia wasn't doing that job). After Gregor reached adulthood he could choose his own official hostess and then there was the short period in Warrior's Apprentice when Aral was out-of-favor and Simon was imprisoned (briefly referred to in this book). I can't imagine Alys was official hostess during that time given her close ties to Aral. So did Gregor try out a few (I can imagine Vordrozda might have suggested a female Vordrozda) before settling back to Alys?

This is discussed briefly in Memory but there is an entire separate power structure, run by the women. I am sure there is a large stable of females who can do stuff for Gregor, something like the Altar Guild supporting the rector at the church.
Alys is clearly the most powerful, especially in this volume. Being unofficially in charge of finding the next Empress is a huge deal, even though Gregor clearly gets rights of approval. Alys is -editing- his possible choices, selecting the ones that circulate past him for inspection. She is considering not only social acceptability, education/status, but whether Gregor will bite. Which is why this book is so funny and great; all expectations are both fulfilled and confounded.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:

It is I think a minor failing that we don't know Alys' natal family given the emphasis the Vor have on family;

Not really. When Lady Alys took oath as Lord Padma's wife, she became Vorpatril. Her name and honour are Vorpatril. Sure, she'll have a relationship with her relatives, assuming they exist, but it's not the same.

IIRC, there are sisters mentioned, but not by name. So they're not important to the story. Alys is probably the beautiful and talented daughter of Middlerank Vorboring. Probably, Vorboring was an officer in the Imperial Service, which led to his daughter meeting Captain Vorpatril.

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

It is I think a minor failing that we don't know Alys' natal family given the emphasis the Vor have on family;

Not really. When Lady Alys took oath as Lord Padma's wife, she became Vorpatril. Her name and honour are Vorpatril. Sure, she'll have a relationship with her relatives, assuming they exist, but it's not the same.

IIRC, there are sisters mentioned, but not by name. So they're not important to the story. Alys is probably the beautiful and talented daughter of Middlerank Vorboring. Probably, Vorboring was an officer in the Imperial Service, which led to his daughter meeting Captain Vorpatril.

And the same for Kareen and her missing family? Though I can see Serg choosing a bride who had no closely related adult males who might defend her. Note that Vor women keep their natal family name and append their husband's name (see Miles listing Ekaterin's names) and in case of divorce are expected to return to their natal family.

I note that Alys seems independently wealthy and that is unlikely to be from just her dower so I doubt she is middling Vor. One presumes Ivan is the inheritor of the bulk of his father's fortune much of which may have come originally from Xav (Padma was descended from a younger son in the Vorpatril clan and is Lord Vorpatril by virtue of being the son of a daughter of Prince Xav).

quote:
Here's a Q about the actual book, and not the Vorkosiverse in general. What do you think of the crime and the solution? Do you find Haroche's corruption convincing?

I think part of the motivation for the crime is how inherently irritating Miles can be. It's not necessarily just the fact that Haroche can't get promotion all the time Illyan's there, it's the fact that he's about to get passed over for Miles who is younger, posher, and a loose cannon. Enough to make anyone who'd worked their way up by hard graft furious. As to the actual crime, I think the means being available crystallised the fury into action.

Yes, what Helen-Eva said. Also, judging by the astonishment when Miles appeared at the door wearing all his medals, his undercover career really WAS a closely-guarded secret. Haroche admits he'd never realised just how much Miles had done until after reading his file... which suggests that he underestimated Miles, although he does a good job of revising his plans when he realises his mistake.

Maybe Haroche has a few Old-Barrayaran prejudices lurking in the recesses of his mind, too... bad enough to be passed over in favour of a younger, posher candidate with (apparently) less experience and a *very* irritating personality (even the people who like him sometimes refer to him as a 'hyperactive dwarf'). Even worse when it's Vorkosigan the Mutie Lord*; a couple of generations ago he'd have been strangled at birth, they should have a Real Man in the job, etc. etc.

*Yes, I know he's not really a mutant but the distinction is lost on most Barrayarans...

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

Maybe Haroche has a few Old-Barrayaran prejudices lurking in the recesses of his mind, too... bad enough to be passed over in favour of a younger, posher candidate with (apparently) less experience and a *very* irritating personality

It may be just my reading (based on my own psychology doubtless!) but I think it's the fact that Miles is an aristocrat and son of an ex-PM that's the kicker. The secret service seems to be one of the few areas where people who aren't from the ruling class can succeed - Illyan and his predecessor weren't aristos - so to lose one of the few bastions of meritocracy to a posh boy would be just about the end.

I do like the idea that Miles himself bears some tiny responsibility for Haroche's fall. He can be charming, but he can't charm everybody.
It is never quite as good if the problems that drive the story fall from above, a thunderbolt from Zeus. It's always better -style- if the hero causes his own problems, not by stupidity or neglect (because then this would impede his heroism; only villains do that) but because of his own nature.

I've always wondered why Illyan, who is usually an intelligent man, was fool enough to more or less tell Haroche that he was going to be training his new boss (Miles), particularly when Haroche had good reason to think he had a shot at the command chair himself. There are very few saints who would cope well with that kind of situation, no matter how well-intentioned.

Could it be that Haroche's expectations were all in his own mind?
Which gets us to another fine feature of these books -- as managerial fables. Yes, it is important to have good personnel. But you have to nurture them along, promote them properly, or they'll jump ship and go work for your rival/drop a bug into Illyan's chip.

quote:
Could it be that Haroche's expectations were all in his own mind?
Which gets us to another fine feature of these books -- as managerial fables. Yes, it is important to have good personnel. But you have to nurture them along, promote them properly, or they'll jump ship and go work for your rival/drop a bug into Illyan's chip.

Haroche was a definite candidate given where he was, but, from Illyan's point of view, might have been too old and not enough non-Barrayar experience. ImpSec chiefs seem to start young. Negri had been there for decades (though might have been Ezar's chief security person before stepping in as ImpSec head after Ezar became emperor) so presumably started late 20s or early 30s and Illyan was late 20s.

On a different thought, ImpSec has several bureaus. Galactic handles stuff outside of the Empire then Komarr and Sergyar and on Barrayar, Domestic and Emperor. Emperor isn't named but seems to be stuff handled directly by the ImpSec Chief. It includes the Emperor's personal security who get trained directly by Illyan (Vor Game has Miles think about Illyan giving them their final polish) and those informants like By who work in the highest Vor circles and the analysts and handlers who work with them. Haroche did not know about Alys' close working relationship with ImpSec (so close that she is By's usual contact) nor did he know how close Miles is to Gregor, but, he was otherwise in charge of Domestic security.

In Haroche's confession to Gregor, he says (Illyan present) that after Miles' supposed death Illyan clarified the lines of succession, made him 2nd in command, said "he was thinking of choosing a new successor" in case he got assassinated, "and I was it. Then Vorkosigan turned up alive again." It was after this Illyan asked Haroche to "train (his) future boss." Emotionally that was pretty blind of Illyan.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
In Haroche's confession to Gregor, he says (Illyan present) that after Miles' supposed death Illyan clarified the lines of succession, made him 2nd in command, said "he was thinking of choosing a new successor" in case he got assassinated, "and I was it. Then Vorkosigan turned up alive again." It was after this Illyan asked Haroche to "train (his) future boss." Emotionally that was pretty blind of Illyan.

The temptation of Haroche and the temptation of Miles.

Haroche finds out he was next, gets displaced when Miles shows up again but seems to accept that (he could have sabotaged Illyan and taken over as interim since Miles wasn't ready and later taken out Miles) then Miles drops out of the succession again and Haroche acts to ensure he doesn't get displaced again.

Miles lies his way into keeping his Admiral Naismith identity and endangering his people by concealing the seizures. He is again tempted to betray his people (Duv) by taking Haroche's offer of restoration he is still tempted even after realizing that Haroche is almost certainly the person responsible for Illyan's condition.

Haroche resists then falls. Miles falls but later resists.

And of course the real irony of the situation is that Miles doesn't actually *want* Illyan's job. When he finds out that he would have been promoted to a desk in another year's time if he'd stayed in ImpSec he realises that his big cover-up wasn't worth the risk.

It's interesting to speculate about what would have happened if Miles hadn't been found out (or if he'd been honest about the seizures, or if they'd never happened in the first place) Would he have resigned from ImpSec rather than take up Illyan's job, or would his sense of duty have forced him to accept? Would he have been swallowed up by the job, as Illyan was?

Miles may be brilliant but I simply can't see him as a good leader of ImpSec. He would become bored.

Which makes me think Illyan was either an idiot or very very shrewd, knowing that the only thing stronger than Miles' propensity to make trouble was his sense of duty. (which is how Illyan got stuck with the job in the first place--he was standing handy to Aral at just the wrong moment, and couldn't get out of it. Perhaps he was planning to pull an Aral on Miles.)

The other thing that is clear, both from family history and from observation, is that Miles is eventually going to settle down. It is worth putting up with the aggravations of his wilder youth, knowing that the Imperium will get a really worthwhile servitor in future.
I was impressed with Gregor's long view. He knows he needs younger men, men of his own generation, to succeed Aral, Ilyan & co.

To get back to Haroche and his plans. What strikes me having now read Memory and Komarr is how nice McMaster is to her 'villans'. They are all people doing bad things for what they see as good reasons. I certainly found it very refreshing, and as Brenda Clough warned, I think I'm addicted, the next is series is lined up for reading during my travels this coming weekend.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
To get back to Haroche and his plans. What strikes me having now read Memory and Komarr is how nice McMaster is to her 'villans'. They are all people doing bad things for what they see as good reasons. I certainly found it very refreshing.

That's probably because it's good writing - in real life people do the most appalling things for what seem to them to be good reasons. I think it's only in books that people are evil for the sake of being evil. I've just read a biography of Hitler and for pete's sake even HE seems to have thought he was doing the right thing however truly completely and utterly bonkersly wrong he may have been.

Yes, the real true Joker-style supervillain is almost purely a creature of fiction. Nearly every horrible person you will ever meet does not believe they are horrible. Osama bin Laden could make a rational and sensible case for his actions; Vladimir Putin is not mad but crazy like a fox. When they look into the mirror in the morning they see a misunderstood hero, or a crusader for God, or simply someone who is struggling the best they can against the lies and stupidity of the rest of the human race. (This last was the original title of Hitler's autobiography, but his editors wisely forced him to cut and title it Mein Kampf, my struggle, instead.)

A believable and reasonable villain is the hallmark of good fiction. Cannon fodder in storm trooper uniforms are always a bad sign.

© Ship of Fools 2016