Thread: Shortbread, whisky and semibreves - the Scottish thread Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029837

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I'd like to wish all my fellow Scots a Happy New Year and hope you all had a good Hogmanay, and aren't feeling too fragile today.

I should add that the semibreves in the thread title refer to the beginnings of metrical psalms, which start on a long note and led my Better Half to refer to Scotland as "the land of shortbread and semibreves".

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

A Guid New Year to ane an a'! Lang may yer lum reek wi' ither fowks coal!

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Lang may yer lum reek wi' ither fowks coal!
Husband's grandmother, a very proper lady indeed used to say this, but only the first part. She was sent out here in her teens from Edinburgh for her health's sake. As she lived to 98, it seemed to have done the trick for her.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I have an Edinburgh friend who says the same thing and I have often wondered if it really constitutes an incitement to a criminal act.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

Ally Bain. Phil Cunningham. Jackie Bird. All the traditional ingredients were there.

It is has become a family tradition on Hogmanay to sing along to Kenneth McKellar. Generous soul that I am, I thought I would share it with you all - and especially with mine host WW. [Snigger]

Happy New Year!

Did you sing along to this one? N.B. NSFW!

I love Kenneth McKellar. I admire his versatility from opera to Scottish kitsch.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I regret to say that was the one that sprang to my mind. Never did that on The White Heather Club .

I have to say the Embra fireworks were extraordinarily pretty -this year's speciality was a barrage of rockets which produced variously coloured spangles, so that the whole sky was like a meadow of flowers.

I am not even clicking on that link, because I know exactly what it will be, and I disapprove!

I say this with shame because I managed inadvertently to introduce that song to some very innocent and GLE American friends. "We are an earthy people," I muttered in mortified excuse.

That song is a classic of its genre.

How could you inadvertently introduce it? Inquiring minds and all the rest.

[ 01. January 2015, 20:25: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Um. Well. You see, m'lud, it was like this ...

... I knew it was rude. But I only knew the first verse. So I didn't know it went on. To be so very very rude. Um. [Hot and Hormonal]

One reason I like the Kenneth McKellar version is that it doesn't have the "Inverness" first verse, which seemed to be the version all the Scouts knew. If you were a Girl Guide from Inverness, it got old very quickly.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

I love Kenneth McKellar. I admire his versatility from opera to Scottish kitsch.

Disturbingly that appears to be a relatively mild (and short) version.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

I love the way that it's only the first day of 2015, and already we've hit the gutter!

I'm sure that NEQ appreciates the important historical anniversary today, but for those who don't it's the 160th anniversary of civil registration in Scotland. Why have I thought of this? Well, I've been chasing some of Mother Knotweed's antecedents down on Scotland's People - good excuse, today a 1939 marriage in my crowd became available - and twigged the years both ended in 5. Back to circa 1830s, but struggling with couples with nearly the right names getting married, and being sidetracked by the difference between Banchory and Banchory Devenick... oh, and trying to find a possibly mythical father! I s'pose in a land where the men wear skirts and no drawers it's inevitable (unless there's an Easterly blowing, when it's impossible).

AG

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... As she lived to 98, it seemed to have done the trick for her.

Two of my great-aunts (my grandmother's eldest sisters) emigrated from Orkney to Australia in (I presume) the first quarter of the twentieth century, and both lived to their late 90s (one 96, one 99 IIRC).

Must be something in the air ... [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
I love the way that it's only the first day of 2015, and already we've hit the gutter!

We may be lying in the gutter, but we're gazing at the stars! [Biased]

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right! 160 years! Did you know that it wasn't till civil registration that there was statistical proof of higher literacy rates in Scotland than England? (Based on the percentage of brides and grooms who could sign the marriage registers) [Smile] Admittedly, it also confirmed that Banffshire had the highest rate of illegitimacy in Britain - questions were asked if there was a correlation between teaching girls to write and their having babies outwith marriage.

You're not the only one to get confused between Banchory and Banchory Devenick, but they're quite a distance apart. As Aberdeen expands, B-D is getting close to being part of greater Aberdeen.

quote:

Well, I think it is quite acceptable as I didn't understand a word of it! I felt a bit like Rocky in Chicken Run!

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

( regarding thread title ) my Grandpa had the best shortbread recipe ever, and a set of wooden molds to go with it.

( Gasp!) It just hit me! His people were Ballantines!

[ 02. January 2015, 02:52: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

I was chatting with a Scot after a concert I'd sung in Dalbeattie, and he quoted his grandmother to the effect that it didn't do to go digging into one's Scots ancestry, because you were likely to run into a bandit of some kind.

I replied that I didn't need to dig very deep, since my grandmother was and Armstrong. He just grinned.

This was the same gentleman who told me that he sang in his own church choir with a 'regiment of women'.

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
... it didn't do to go digging into one's Scots ancestry, because you were likely to run into a bandit of some kind ...

I've got sheep-stealers on one side and a pirate on the other, and I suspect that if I dug far enough into my Orkney ancestry there'd be a Viking* or two ... [Eek!]

* As I'm rather vertically challenged, D. refers to this imagined ancestor as "Sigurd the Short". [Big Grin]

(Forgive me, Grandad's family were the Bannantynes)

This was the bakery his dad and uncle ran together, and I am sure this is where he learned to make shortbread.)

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

This was the bakery his dad and uncle ran together, and I am sure this is where he learned to make shortbread.)

So you could be related to this guy.

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
... it didn't do to go digging into one's Scots ancestry, because you were likely to run into a bandit of some kind ...

I've got sheep-stealers on one side and a pirate on the other, and I suspect that if I dug far enough into my Orkney ancestry there'd be a Viking* or two ... [Eek!]
I've (probably) got one of Robert the Bruce's pals who murdered the Red Comyn (the rightful king?) before the altar in Greyfriars Church. And a fair chance also of shipwrecked Spanish sailors from the Armada - though it would take DNA testing to sort that one out.

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

So you could be related to this guy.
My heart swells with pride.

Pardon me, but he looks like he has an ice cream stick shoved somewhere uncomfortable.

(now I feel bad-- I just scrolled down to read about his philanthropic works. Sorry, Duncan. But dude, Smile!)

[ 02. January 2015, 08:59: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

I might be descended from (gulp) Edward I, Hammer of the Scots.

Plus one of my great uncles was an axe murderer.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

quote:
Pardon me, but he looks like he has an ice cream stick shoved somewhere uncomfortable.

i think the word you're looking for is "dour". Not that I'm stereotyping or anything [Two face] I actually think he cultivates that image.

Oh, so that's dour...

quote:

Paisan!

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:

What did he murder the axe with? [Devil]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

The Hammer! remember NEQ is descended from that tool too [Biased]

[ 02. January 2015, 21:05: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
... a fair chance also of shipwrecked Spanish sailors from the Armada ...

It's quite possible I've got some of them too - I'm dark-haired and dark-eyed. Orcadians tend to be fair-ish with blue eyes, but there are a few families in Orkney who are dark-featured and said to be descended from Armada wreckees.

Having said that, I'm only a quarter Orcadian (my paternal grandmother) - my other grandparents came from Caithness, Greenock and Ayrshire, so I probably have a right old mixture ... [Big Grin]

quote:
quote:

[Smile] Well, it was more of a hatchet than an axe. Ypres. Machine gun jammed and he defended himself against oncoming Germans with his trench hatchet. He was "mentioned in dispatches" which says he killed three with his hatchet. Regimental history says five. The newspapers back home claimed he killed nine (!)

He got the DCM and a fortnight's furlough.

When I was a kid, the local museum had his medals and newspaper clippings on display, but I gather these are no longer considered suitable - they're very jingoistic and full of references to "burly Huns."

quote:
quote:
... a fair chance also of shipwrecked Spanish sailors from the Armada ...

It's quite possible I've got some of them too - I'm dark-haired and dark-eyed. Orcadians tend to be fair-ish with blue eyes, but there are a few families in Orkney who are dark-featured and said to be descended from Armada wreckees.

Having said that, I'm only a quarter Orcadian (my paternal grandmother) - my other grandparents came from Caithness, Greenock and Ayrshire, so I probably have a right old mixture ... [Big Grin]

Yes, my paternal grandmother's family were from the Caithness coast, and my father and uncles and all their cousins are quite distinctively black-haired and dark-skinned - very different from the usual peely-wally Scots! Though their eyes tend to be grey or green, not brown. I remember at a big family party, there were all these distant relatives whom I didn't know and had never met, but I could pick them out from the crowds no problem at all.

quote:
Well, it was more of a hatchet than an axe. Ypres. Machine gun jammed and he defended himself against oncoming Germans with his trench hatchet. He was "mentioned in dispatches" which says he killed three with his hatchet. Regimental history says five. The newspapers back home claimed he killed nine (!)

He got the DCM and a fortnight's furlough.

Gaw. Damn. Maybe I was him in a previous incarnation.

The Regimental Bunny? [Big Grin]

Ha! The museum does seem to be trying to turn him into a fluffy bunny. They've got a WW1 exhibition on at the moment. He's included, but no mention of the DCM, or what he did to gain it! I think they're going for a fluffier version of the war - Christmas truce, swapping chocolate, that kind of thing. Definitely no mention of killing Germans.

quote:
[When I was a kid, the local museum had his medals and newspaper clippings on display, but I gather these are no longer considered suitable - they're very jingoistic and full of references to "burly Huns."

Which is a way of rewriting history to suit modern sensibilities. All they needed to have done was put in a little placard saying that the statements reflected attitudes current at the time. That would have been far more educative.

Indeed. It's interesting that what made him a hero in 1915 appears to make him an embarrassment in 2015.

I've just reread the obituary which appeared in his regimental news, and it says he killed them with an axe. Every other account says "hatchet."

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

Well done for starting this thread off, Piglet.
As you may have seen from the UK(ish) thread I was around when Wodders closed all the old ones and invited new ones to start, but wasn't sure if I should, or what to call it.

Everyone seems to be going back to work tomorrow. Our schools don't go back until the 8th, however, so my Christmas holidays are having to last a bit longer to look after the eldest Kipperlet.

So, along with her cousins (and my sisters) we're off to see the Singing Kettle as part of their FINAL TOUR tomorrow

All together now... Spout, handle, lid of metal ....

My sister's kids loved the Singing Kettle when they were little - I can't believe they're "retiring" - I assume that's why it's their final show.

As my dad would say, back to old clothes and porridge tomorrow. I'll pass on the porridge, and as I mentioned it to him on the phone today, apparently so would he - I didn't realise he disliked it almost as much as I did! [Big Grin]

It seems to be the day of bizarre headlines relating to Scotland.

First, a cracker from the Press and Journal: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/farming/447373/undefined-headline-544/

And another from Auntie Beebee:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-30681476

AG

[Killing me]

Love the spacehopper story! Only in Dundee ...?

What an eejit. [Big Grin]

Posted by Porridge (# 15405) on :

quote:
It seems to be the day of bizarre headlines relating to Scotland.

First, a cracker from the Press and Journal: https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/farming/447373/undefined-headline-544/

Huh. What that guy is holding up looks like a rutabaga to me. Yet it also looks like what my Scots granddad called a turnip.

Is this why so many New Englanders call rutabagas turnips (we have a lot of Scots-descended folk in these parts).

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
... What that guy is holding up looks like a rutabaga to me ...

In Scotland (especially the more northerly parts thereof) it's a neep (corruption of "turnip" I suppose).

In other parts of the UK it may be called a "swede"; I've even heard someone (in Orkney IIRC) call it a "Swedish neep". But do feel free to call it a rutabaga: I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

It is, of course, a vital component of clapshot.

BTW the reference in the article to the addition of chives is, IMHO, complete b*ll*cks. I suppose if you wanted to ponce it up a bit you could decorate it with a few snipped chives, but I've never seen it done like that.

Posted by Porridge (# 15405) on :

I've never heard of clapshot, but I've certainly eaten it at my granddad Duncan's table. No chives, but a smatter of onions and butter.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
In Scotland (especially the more northerly parts thereof) it's a neep (corruption of "turnip" I suppose).

The word 'neep' comes from the Latin 'napus', a turnip. The 'tur' bit may mean 'round' (or 'turned'): nobody really knows.
(I have online access to the OED. I don't know this off the top of my head.)

Swedes are the result of cross-breeding turnips with cabbages sometime in the distant past. So apparently is oilseed rape. Possibly someone grew turnips in a field next to cabbages, and was then pleasantly surprised when they found the next generations' crop.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Swedes are the result of cross-breeding turnips with cabbages sometime in the distant past.

Explains IKEA. [Biased]

Please carry on.

Ages ago, I did a search through the Victorian Aberdeen Journals for stories about giant turnips and was surprised how many there were.

Out of curiosity (the things that you do when you're supposed to be writing up your thesis) I searched "Prime Minister" and discovered that there were more stories about turnips than Prime Ministers in the Aberdeen Journal between 1850 and 1901.

Originally posted by North East Quine.
quote:
Out of curiosity (the things that you do when you're supposed to be writing up your thesis) I searched "Prime Minister" and discovered that there were more stories about turnips than Prime Ministers in the Aberdeen Journal between 1850 and 1901.
Of course. Turnips are important!

I've been scanning some old farm account books recently, and the advertising sections at the front are packed full of photographs of swedes* piled up like cannon balls, with a muddy rustic in the distance emphasising how big swedes look if someone stands a long way behind them. Most amusing.

AG

*English books, see.

{edited for top of page sense making}

[ 06. January 2015, 09:24: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

Never underestimate the importance of the root vegetable in Northern climes. Go to a Weimar in October, and you can experience the annual Onion Festival.

As for Potato Festivals, Canada is positively awash. Also in those parts Carrot Fest claims to be 'the world's greatest carrot festival' - I'm not sure how many other contenders for the crown there are.

I'm all in favour of celebrating the usefulness of such things: without carrots, onions and potatoes my veggie soup would be, at best, jolly boring. [Big Grin]

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

I just saw the forecast that it would be very cold and not sunny and very wet.
Is that really happening ?
I just remember as school in Blairgowrie that it was cold and wet and dark as i went to school.

I'm afraid "cold, wet and dark" is more-or-less the default situation for January.

Never mind - the days are lengthening ... [Smile]

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Bit blowy here....

You all OK?

All still standing in the lee of Blackford Hill (which was clocking 90 mph last night).

Lost half a pane of glass from the greenhouse, but I'm quite relieved it was only one - I heard the sound of breaking glass in the night and expected much worse.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

My new flat makes a really wonderful collection of noises in the high winds. A whistle around the corner by the bathroom like a train. A roar past the bedroom window. A rattling in the roof above the kitchen.

The glass on the door/window onto the balcony wobbles noticably. And, at times the whole building seemed to vibrate. A rather exciting night, though not conducive to sleeping well.

There's a large stand of pine trees on the hill across a burn from the flat. A few trees in that are only standing to the extent that they're resting on neighbours.

An online acquaintance in Lewis has lost a hundred-odd slates, though it sounds as though it could have been a whole lot worse.

Surprised that Orkney's highest recorded gust was only 80-something, unless the wind came from Hoy, there's bog all to stop it!

AG

Just seen plans for a service to mark the centenary of Mary Slessor's death, to be held in Union Terrace Gardens, Aberdeen (close to her birthplace) on Tuesday, led by a Nigerian church choir.

quote:
posted by Sandemaniac:
Surprised that Orkney's highest recorded gust was only 80-something, unless the wind came from Hoy, there's bog all to stop it!

Winds were from S/SW direction so I guess Hoy probably did take some of the speed off. It was recorded at 113mph in Lewis.

Wind has died down here now but it'll be back again.... I get howling down my chimney if the wind is in the right (or possibly wrong) direction. Last night wasn't too bad.

quote:
... Orkney's highest recorded gust was only 80-something ...

A friend who lives in the West Mainland of Orkney posted on FB that the winds were rocking her house to the foundations. She said she was keeping herself occupied by singing hymns, and added the tunes, which included:
quote:
Guide me, O thou great Redeemer - Blaenwern
Heretick! If she doesn't sing it to Cwm Rhondda she deserves to have her foundations rocked ... [Devil]

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Here in Stirling I was woken at 5am with the wind howling. Then I realised that all the local wheelie bins were dancing a ceilidh in our back court. No damage though, and luckily our bin day is Thursday so at least there weren't a week's worth of nappies all over the place, which there would have been if it had been a day earlier.

quote:
added the tunes, which included:
quote:
Guide me, O thou great Redeemer - Blaenwern

[Ultra confused]

I don't think I'd even be able to sing it to anything other than Cwm Rhondda, let alone want to.

[ 09. January 2015, 22:02: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

As D. pointed out when I told him, it would be impossible anyway - you'd run out of words as they've got different metres.

In fairness to my friend, she replied to the effect that she had typed it at 5:30 a.m. and suffered an early-morning brain-fart ... [Big Grin]

Another wet and windy morning - and too dark as yet to make out if there has been any overnight damages. I think one of our bins is over.

We're promised an easing of the wind as the day goes on - to be replaced by snow, so that's something to look forward to.

There is nothing to stop the wind between my house and Ireland. The house rattled all night, the bin was over this morning, the power has been on and off, and the garden is sporting its occasional rivulet, which it saves for occasions such as this. It is trying its hand at sleet now.

We have snow. Most of it is melting as soon as it touches the ground, but the lawn is mottled white.

I've only been outside once, to pick up the rubbish that spilled out from our overturned wheelie bin.

I ended up sleeping on the settee from 5am on because there was what sounded like a shed door banging somewhere. Each bang was followed, two or three seconds later, by a rattle. Bang, pause, rattle, longer pause, bang, pause, rattle, longer pause...

Perhaps this will be the day I finish decluttering my study?

Another lovely day here marred only by the cold donated by a neighbour - I am a typically male lousy patient!

Earlier today I looked out of the front window and saw brilliant blue sky and a couple of little, fluffy clouds. It can't have been more than 10 minutes later, I looked out of the same window to see the sky completely white and horizontal snow dancing around in the wind!! I took a walk into town today, it wasn't too bad - snow not settling, and although it was cold it wasn't chest-tighteningly cold. We'll see what tonight brings...

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

My Dad is in the North and has no power. He does, however, have a gas heater and a gas stove, coal fire and mobile 'phone which are all functioning perfectly. I really shouldn't worry about a man who raised three children miles from any sensible amenities.

Hope you're all managing fine in your wee parts of the world.

Cattyish, loving the sounds the wind makes.

The wind has dropped, thank goodness. But it's gloomier now than when I got up, so I expect stuff will start falling from the sky at some point. On the record of the past day or so, it could be rain, sleet, snow or any combination.

Pissing with rain here, and deeply unpleasant.
We're due a re-run of the wind tomorrow. Deep joy.

Ooops!

Glad I didn't have to try to fish it out... funnily enough, in as far as I know Dundee, I know the road - spent a week in a B&B on it in 2000!

AG

That picture about what happened is very sad about it. I do hope in Dundee that it gets better fine.
(I was born there and my family all lived there. Grandparents lived there or ever.)
Later my mothers grandparents came to our home Blairgowrie to live at us as they get very elderly.

quote:
My sister's kids loved the Singing Kettle when they were little - I can't believe they're "retiring" - I assume that's why it's their final show.

Artie and Cilla, the originators of the Singing Kettle, actually retired a year or so back. It continued with some newer members and the other original musician, but rather than keep that name going, they've now decided (or perhaps Artie & Cilla have asked them) go under the new name of Fun Box , but essentially doing the same thing

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

On the 3rd April (good Friday) I'll be in Aberdeen for the day, anyone got any recommendations for a good Friday service? Also i could be around at lunch time for a meet up. If there is enough interest in a shipmeet I'll start a thread.

I think I'll be free, and if I am, I'd be interested in a service and / or lunch.

We got shown again on the TV a last night and it did seem still awful. How does it feel and be in Scotland ?

It was a perfect January day here today, daisymay, cold, clear, crisp. There is ice in shaded places, but the roads and pavements are clear and safe.

Snow has come to the south at last! Everything cancelled, unexpected day indoors. [Smile]

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

Are you all ok and not entirely snowed in? Nenlet2 plans a weekend in Edinburgh. [Eek!]

Edinburgh is snowless. We haven't had any since Wednesday and that was nothing to write home about. The week ahead is forecast to be cold but bright.

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

That's good to hear - although it's a beautiful city and I'm sure it looks spectacular in the snow. [Smile] Nenlet2 has been going to the Fringe for years but this weekend is going with a friend who hasn't been before so it's even more exciting!

It's snowing here, but melting into slush when it lands on the ground.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Edinburgh is snowless ...

Good. Long may that continue! [Big Grin]

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

This weekend a bunch of us made our way up to Moray and had a fantastic weekend at Burgie House playing giant Cluedo amongst other things. I shan't be stepping on any scales for a few days at any rate - we really do seem to have a collective talent for overcatering.

Callanish and I were in charge of the Entertainments for the second year running, although someone else sorted out some walks each day. Last year we had them all attempting to assassinate each other but this year there was only one murder victim. Now, what shall we make them all do next year...?

That really sounds like fun, TTP - I've heard of "murder mystery" weekends, but I think it'd be just as good fun basing it on Cluedo.

I wonder if that old set's still in my dad's house? [Big Grin]

It was a lot of fun - all our 'characters' really got into the swing of things, which definitely helped. If anything, I was slightly surprised that the game itself finished so quickly - we had several challenges that we didn't get around to using. Still, that leaves us some ammunition for planning next year's escapades.

So if anyone needs a giant Cluedo set (minus character cards because they all kept them and board because we couldn't steal the carpet) they should get in touch - we're happy to lend out!

If it weren't for the fact that Cluedo is probably copyrighted, you could be on to a nice little earner there ... [Big Grin]

www.facebook.com/fjonadcosta

See if you can get in this and see my pictures of my family who have both MacLean on them. It was while we were with another person getting on another one.

I have now many pictures, not all about the men, some with me. Do you lot like looking there to se them ?

Have you lot been to Iona and Mull ? I always enjoy going there - I camp up a bit and get down on the water across.

Posted by jrw (# 18045) on :

quote:

I love Kenneth McKellar too. Apparently he wrote sketches for Monty Python, though I don't know which ones.

According to this article in the Scotsman it was about a blind man, in Secret Policeman's Ball.

Posted by jrw (# 18045) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
According to this article in the Scotsman it was about a blind man, in Secret Policeman's Ball.

Fascinating. Thanks for the link.

We are just back from viewing The Great Tapestry of Scotland in its entirety at Stirling Castle (I think the Great Hall there is one of the few places where it can be shown in its entirety in the one room, as it is so vast). My goodness, it is wonderful! Well worth a viewing if it comes anywhere near you (although I think the site is a bit vague and not that up to date with locations). Shame the food at the Castle cafe was a bit disappointing, but you can't have everything [Smile]

I'm not in Scotland but there is a Scottish Kirk in London that I will be at this evening. It is a lovely one !

Posted by Derf (# 2093) on :

Jack we saw the tapestry the other week when parents were visiting - it was great to see it in a bit less busy a setting than when it was in the Parliament! It's fab, but I am irrationally irritated by their claim that it's the longest in the world, when it's made up of so many separate panels that aren't joined up. There's probably an official definition that allows that, but it seems all wrong.

When it was in Aberdeen it was split between three rooms in the Art Gallery. I wonder if there's any long term plan for it to stop touring and get a permanent home, at which point it might be sewn together?

Aberdeen Art Gallery is closing for two years for refurbishment. I really, really hope the end result is worth it. Part of the refurbishment is the enlargement of the cafe and shop areas, which doesn't seem that important to me.

Added to the nightmare which is the proposed development by Marischal College ( [Disappointed] [brick wall] [brick wall] ) , and the award of the Plook on the Plinth award for bad architecture, Aberdeen isn't doing too well at the moment.

They're looking at a permanent home in the Borders for it, although it seems to be generating some controversy (why would you spend money on that rather than a new school or whatever) - the tapestry take on it is here. No idea if they'd sew it together though.

Changing the subject, tonight it is snowing in Stirling and settling. I hope it has gone by morning (although judging by the temperature today I'm not going to hold my breath. Brrrr) as I have to drive the Elf Lass to nursery which happens to be in beautiful countryside but involves driving down a scary windy country road. Eek.

Eek indeed - drive carefully. [Votive]

We had blowing snow for most of the afternoon today (although it only amounted to a few inches) and now we've got blowing rain, which at least might clear some of the snow ... [Roll Eyes]

Still snowing here - the sczlet went to nursery all dressed up for snowman building! Drive safely Jack.

Perfect spring day here. The water butt has a skim of ice, but I'm looking out at a clear blue sky, and a bright day.

I'm heading south tomorrow, so I hope there won't be any transport delays. (wibble)

I hope you get there safely, NEQ. Surely the trains will be okay. Have a great time.

I live close to sea level in the warmer west, so although we had a few flurries of snow yesterday, nothing is lying.

I'm very excited. I am under strict instructions to shut up, and remain anonymous. Proud mothers are, apparently, embarrassing. Although despairing mothers posting on the "Help! I've got a teenager" thread are also embarrassing, so my embarrassing mother credentials are pretty solid.

The least the North East Loon can win tomorrow is £500, plus good publicity! [Yipee]

[ 03. March 2015, 10:43: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Well, it turns out Stirling looks lovely when it's covered in 2" of snow, but the roads are less lovely - the main roads were pretty clear, but the side roads were varying levels of hairy this morning! It seems to be melting now, so it looks less lovely covered in 2" of slush, I'm now just a bit worried about it freezing overnight as that will turn the place (or at least our road) into a skidpan.

The pavements here were covered in Patches of Treachery™ this morning, turning me into Hobbling Piglet ... [Eek!]

PS Well done, North East Loon! [Yipee]

[ 05. March 2015, 14:12: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

Congratulations to North East Loon! Were you an embarassment or did you manage to control yourself NEQ?

Thanks, Sarasa! I think I just squeaked in as "acceptable." It was an excellent day.

It's been a busy week, as I stayed down south to take part in the March of Women in Glasgow on Sat, which involved dressing in a long white dress, suffragette sash, hat, rosette and white gloves and marching from Glasgow Women's Library to Glasgow Green. Great fun!

Then today I was back in my suffragette frock for an International Women's Day event which included a Nigerian Gospel choir singing songs in the languages Mary Slessor spoke when she was in Nigeria. It was brilliant!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fjonadc/4685887973/

I can not get this just one picture, but you can also click o the right and left of it - and it shows much of Scotland and Blairgowrie where I lived.
I also have where my parents and there parents were put down and i would like to do that for me and my married one who is dead. But they have changed the people in charge and I do not know how the contact the others.

The loon on TV.

Congratulations to him. Well done.

It was good to be able to see the clip. Too often news clips etc can't be seen down here. Thanks.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
The loon on TV.

Brilliant! They did a great job of making the station as eerie as it was in the book. Hope we'll be there for the next completely illegible book signing.

Well done, North East Loon! [Yipee]

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Wonderful! I must search out a copy whilst in England after Easter. Is he at Waterstones?

Looks like it

Just to say I'm really jealous. Hope you have clear skies on Friday morning. Wish I was there.

What is he weather getting OK ? How will it get fine !
I always love to camp in Scotland in various places to get to. I always enjoy when it is lovely blue sky and warm and dry as I camp.

There's been a lovely clear blue sky here, daisymay, but it's not warm!

My sister and niece have just come back from a few days in Orkney, and judging by their photographs, they had absolutely gorgeous weather.

**stifles Green-eyed Monster** [Devil]

Don't know about heat - you can't really tell from the pictures, but it was certainly sunny and bright.

I think it was up to 20 or 21 degrees (Celsius) - much warmer and nicer than what we East Anglian folk had, shivering under grey skies ...

Mind you, it's lovely this morning.

quote:
I think it was up to 20 or 21 degrees (Celsius) ...

In Orkney in April? Really??? [Eek!]

Don't you just mean "In Orkney? Really??"? The time of year is irrelevant in expresisng surprise at those temperatures.

[Big Grin]

I see on the BBC News this morning that Google StreetView has gone on the water, with views from Loch Ness included. The seem to have found a great day to take the pictures, from the bit I've looked at.

Oh, and a link thingy

This is a very intriguing article about a scientific "victim" of Nessie. It poses all sorts of questions, not least about the ways in which scientific institutions find it hard to cope with heterodox views.

Or perhaps he was just unpleasant to his colleagues and management were delighted to find an excuse for sacking him?

[ 21. April 2015, 06:40: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Oh My!

I am heading off on a group camping trip tomorrow afternoon. There's heavy snow early on Saturday morning forecast by the BBC. Good thing it's a heavy canvas tent and will be full of nice warm bodies.

Exactly where will you camp ? I also hope it will be OK as you are there.

Because I hate camping with a passion normally reserved for axe-murderers, I find it hard to summon up sympathy, but ...

Seriously though - I hope you don't get snow, and enjoy yourselves.

[Two face]

Good news for most of those camping in August; all the midgies will be heading for the midgie-fest in Dumfries.

quote:
Because I hate ....axe-murderers.

[Two face]

Oy! My great uncle was an axe-murderer! Some axe-murderers are perfectly nice people from respectable families!

So - how many axes did he murder? And did he do it nicely? We ought to know.

Machine gun jammed at Ypres. Hacked advancing Germans to death with trench hatchet. Distinguished Conduct Medal.

How many? When he was mentioned in dispatches, it said he hacked three to death. Regimental history said five. Local newspaper said nine.....

You're really rather chuffed with the family axe murderer, aren't you?

I suppose I do dine out occasionally on the rellie with the horse, mask, pistol, and frilly shirt (no, not Adam Ant!)...

AG

Yup, always handy to remind my husband of my family's capabilities!

He got through the war unscathed, unlike his wife who died in childbirth in 1916 or his sister, my great grandmother, who died of Spanish flu in 1918.

Do tell more about your masked ancestor!

What? This one? No, not Solomon Joel Cohen, Dick Turpin!

Sadly I can't prove a direct link (and, as far as I am aware, he had no recorded children), but the same surname crops up on both sides of the family in the same village that he was born in.

AG

I understand there may be some very distant link in my wider family to this bloke.

He grew up in Stromness - no wonder he turned into a bad egg ...

A Kirkwallian Has Spoken. [Devil]

PS Thanks for the Adam and the Ants video, Sandemaniac - that was a nice little blast from the past! [Big Grin]

[ 25. April 2015, 01:40: Message edited by: Piglet ]

I have just been in the Scottish kirk in London at 1pm. It is a lovely one!
And on Sunday I should be able to go at 6.30pm to it.
It's beautiful and also very really nice people!

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I have just been in the Scottish kirk in London at 1pm. It is a lovely one!
And on Sunday I should be able to go at 6.30pm to it.
It's beautiful and also very really nice people!

I hope you have a great time there, Daisymay.

Sorry folks, I forgot to report back after the camping weekend. Fortunately the weather was fairly kind, some rain on Friday night and snow showers on the Saturday then a little bit of hail as we took the tents down. The camp set up can be seen here and was nice and cosy for 13 of us.

Sad news yesterday about the Royal Station in Ballater, fortunately no-one was hurt and hopefully there will be a rebuild.

You had rain and snow showers while you were camping and you think the weather was "fairly kind"? [Eek!]

Don't forget the hail.

Though, the last time I camped I finished off with three broken tent poles. Though, with some liberal application of gaffer tape on one of the poles the tent stayed up and we stayed dry.

quote:
You had rain and snow showers while you were camping and you think the weather was "fairly kind"? [Eek!]

Oh yes, the weather was glorious on Friday afternoon, rainy only after we were mostly fed and overnight. Saturday morning was bright and fairly warm, I'm not sure what the weather did for the folks who headed for Balmoral but the walk around Loch Muick was mostly sunny with 4-5 short snow showers over the course of 3-4 hours and the evening was clear but a bit chilly (this is where a canvas tent with candle chandelier comes into its own, warms up in no time with 21 tealights going above a dozen warm bodies). Then Sunday was bright while we ate our overnight oats but the grey clouds rolled in so we decided to get the tents down and managed one before the hail started. Hail's not as bad as rain; it bounces off!

Sorry, TTP, but you can still keep it. This little piglet likes her Creature Comforts. [Smile]

Fair enough, Piglet, I was wearing thermals, jammies and wrapped in two sleeping bags and a silk liner on that second night - nice and toasty but not for everyone!

I'll admit I'm the victim of a Really Duff Camping Experience. When I was about 10 or 11 I went to a Girl Guide camp and I was allocated the space next to the tent-flap. It rained, and I woke up in a freezing, wet sleeping-bag, which has rather coloured my view of camping.

I like sleeping in places with walls ... [Big Grin]

Posted by Kittyville (# 16106) on :

Same here, Piglet, except that in my case a fellow guide deliberately left the edge of my groundsheet outside the tent and when a deluge ensued in the night, I got soaked. I figure she did me a favour in the long run, though. I'm also a big fan of creature comforts. Even glamping (is that a word outside Australia?) would be a stretch for me.

Yes, glamping is a word outside Australia.

Though you haven't lived until waking up snug and warm inside a sleeping bag aware from the air on your face that it's chilly. Then getting out of the warm sleeping bag and opening the tent to find the river almost frozen solid. Which happened to a friend and me in Glen Coe one year. At which point with all the water on the site frozen we did make use of the local cafe for breakfast. Hot breakfast.

Yeah, no, Alan - I think I'll live vicariously though you on that one!

Maybe just join us in the Cafe & Craft Shop?

Sounds like a plan! [Big Grin]

I have fond memories of the Cally Rally, which is a Scout / Guide weekend camp held annually in late October. It was always freezing, but brilliant. Activities included rafting and canoeing on the Caledonian canal, both guaranteed to make you both cold and soaking wet.

Then there was the Saturday night disco, when cold Scouts and Guides did their very best to warm each other up....

Happy days!

quote:

Then there was the Saturday night disco, when cold Scouts and Guides did their very best to warm each other up....

Happy days!

Ah, when those in the know realised how appropriate the old designations were - "The boy scouts, and the girl guides".

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

[Big Grin]

We, 3 children, are going to the north of London to camp on Monday (the school is out for then).
There is a place close to it to for children to play and also we get to eat there.
I hope it is dry and warm! It takes us a while to go up on the train.

Daisy may, we camped a lot when family were younger. I do hope it stays warm and dry for you.

We once spent a night in car with two young children, a toddler in nappies and a large, wet German Shepherd, on edge of a ford which was impassible due to heavy rain. We had spent some hours in winter dark packing up our large tent and all belongings. We had been camped next to a river and State Emergency Services told us to get out as there had been an enormous amount of rain upstream. Every time I checked river level as we packed after a week's stay, it was higher.

And now is it dry to camp either up the north or near Mull ? Maybe I should go later... when it might be dry then.
I had a good time with the children camping north of London, dry and warm and lovely places for them to play.

The Isle of Mull is one of the wettest places in Britain, with three times the rainfall of London. The driest month is May but even that has rain on an average of 50% of the days. August is one of the wettest, with rain possible on about three days out of four.

Of course you may be lucky; and of course it doesn't necessarily rain for the whole day - indeed weather in that part of the world can change very quickly.

I have now organized to go up on the train to go to Inverness and train up to Dingwall where I will camp. i will go on Wednesday at night on the train. I hope that it is not always wet while I am there. I have been camping there a long time ago.

FWIW it's rather damp in the Western Isles at the moment....

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

Hasn't that sentence got three words too many? [Devil]

i.e. "The Western Isles"?? [Devil] [Devil]

Glorious sunshine today in North East Scotland.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

Hasn't that sentence got three words too many? [Devil]
On the same note, I give you a BBC article about the new 'Macbeth' film with Michael Fassbender:
quote:
"It very quickly became 'the Scottish play' for us, " Fassbender says. "But the worst luck we had was the weather. That was terrible."
Justin Kurzel, who made his directing debut in 2011, adds that there was "a supernatural element to filming in Skye in January."

Yeah. 'Luck'. [Paranoid]

linky

It was lovely in Dingwall and I took my sister to walk by the water and up the place to walk up high there and seeing the shops. It was lovely there. And it was not very wet as we camped, and dry yesterday with blue sky !

Great to hear you had good weather and a good time at Dingwall.

On filming on Skye and considering it unlucky to get rain every day ... [Disappointed] A bit of research and they could have not only anticipated that but come back celebrating their good luck at having a few minutes when it wasn't raining.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

My husband and I spent a few hours on Skye in the summer of 1967. Not a drop of rain fell. I didn't realize that we were lucky.

Moo

In the summer the rain stays away. It gives the midges a chance to swarm and eat people.

Just look at poor MacPhail in "The Vital Spark": go to Chapter XV. As Para Handy says, "The Congo's no' to be compared wi' the West o' Scotland when ye come to insects".

By the way, my wife calls a certain sort of Scottish cake a "flies' graveyard".

[ 09. June 2015, 12:27: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
... my wife calls a certain sort of Scottish cake a "flies' graveyard".

Quite right - or flies' cemetery - two layers of pastry with raisins in between. D. calls it "fly pie".

Re: holidays in the west of Scotland - when I was about 10 we spent a fortnight touring round the west coast with a caravan (including trips to Skye and Stornoway) and we only had half an hour of rain the whole time we were away.

Not that anyone believed us when we got back ... [Paranoid]

[ 09. June 2015, 14:16: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
In the summer the rain stays away. It gives the midges a chance to swarm and eat people.

There's a wonderful phrase in one of the Hamish Macbeth mysteries. Hamish goes indoors "pursued by a posse of midges".

Moo

[ 09. June 2015, 21:08: Message edited by: Moo ]

It's winter down here and last week had very cold nights and early mornings. I was surprised to see a mosquito trying to beat its way through glass balcony door to escape to outside. I had thought it was too cold for them to be around.

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
... "pursued by a posse of midges" ...

Presumably not quite as scary as Shakespeare's Exit, pursued by a bear. [Eek!]

quote:
quote:
... my wife calls a certain sort of Scottish cake a "flies' graveyard".

Quite right - or flies' cemetery - two layers of pastry with raisins in between. D. calls it "fly pie"...
Garibaldi Biscuits!

And one of the better desserts at school dinners was the squashed flies one, with custard!

Posted by Barnabas Aus (# 15869) on :

Nearly thirty years ago on a holiday to visit family during a Scottish summer, we had one sunny day per week (usually Thursday for some strange reason). By contrast, four years ago we were there in May, and only had one rainy day the whole time we were north of the border, including three glorious sunny days on Skye. Back again in September - what are our chances for a repeat?

I think the only answer is "don't hold your breath!"

quote:
Re: holidays in the west of Scotland - when I was about 10 we spent a fortnight touring round the west coast with a caravan (including trips to Skye and Stornoway) and we only had half an hour of rain the whole time we were away.

Not that anyone believed us when we got back ... [Paranoid]

When we got married a few years back, we spent our honeymoon (the first 2 weeks of January) on Harris. We'd watch the weather forecast on the telly each evening, and for most of those 2 weeks the only part of the UK that you could actually see on the satellite weather maps were the Outer Hebrides - the rest of the country were covered in (rain and snow) cloud. I think we only had 1 day where we had to stay in the cottage due to rain - the rest of the time, although it did rain it was overnight, and we were able to get out and about exploring during the day, including sunny days on the beach.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

My observation on how you tell the Scot from the English in Scotland when both are on holiday. No they both have packed rain gear. The difference is what they pack for when its not raining. The English pack sun screen, the Scots pack midge repellant.

Jengie

well, Boots already do Suncream with an insect repellant combined, but not sure how effective it would be on midgies

Aaaaand, as the weekend approaches and those who've spent the last week looking through office windows at the blazing sunshine spill out into the air - it cools and dims. The trees fidget in the onshore breezes that bring the haar. Saturday will be 10 degrees down, and wet. All is normal once again.

quote:
posted by Jengie Jon:
The English pack sun screen, the Scots pack midge repellant

I packed both! And didn't use either, though I didn't entirely escape the midgies. Mostly though, it was too windy for them....

Solas Festival is starting today for the weekend, we are off there just for the day tomorrow. I know of a few current and former shipmates going, but will keep my eyes peeled for others!

In other news - weather. Bah. Anyone would think it was October.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Solas Festival is starting today ...

So is the St. Magnus Festival in Orkney - the one time of year I feel just a peedie bit homesick.

As it coincides with our Patronal Festival at the Cathedral here, there's no mission of me getting to it any time soon. [Frown]

I volunteered to provide a star-shaped cookie cutter for today's Junior church. Realised this morning that the cookie cutter I had remembered as being star shaped was in fact snowflake shaped.

Given today's weather, snowflake shaped was appropriate. [Disappointed]

In anticipation of passing that way on Wednesday, I've just checked the whisky stocks. We still have about 1/4 of a bottle of Deanston (very nice if you like it smooth), and have never got round to opening the bottle of Tobermory. I think it's six years since we bought either...

AG

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

Is it ok if I drop in a bit from that other thread? I've been staying in the UK since last May, and I'm looking for an excuse to go to Scotland somewhere in the next couple of months (I've never been there). I'm sure that you'll be able to come up with something! [Smile]

We have lots of amazing places to visit! What are you interested in? History? scenery? literature? food? drink? sea shores? city life? castles? galleries? large cathedrals? small churches? gardens? pandas? - we have them all. Oh, and rain. If you like rain, you'll love Scotland!

quote:
North East Quine: We have lots of amazing places to visit! What are you interested in? History? scenery? literature? food? drink? sea shores? city life? castles? galleries? large cathedrals? small churches? gardens? pandas? - we have them all. Oh, and rain. If you like rain, you'll love Scotland!
Everything! (Except the rain [Smile] ) Add some live music in there and it's perfect for me! [Big Grin]

What I'm thinking about is spending a longish weekend (so I guess it would be confined to the Glasgow–Edinburgh region?) If it could be combined with meeting some Shipmates it would be wonderful.

PS pandas?

Edinburgh Zoo has 2 Pandas

The Edinburgh International Festival (and Fringe) takes place in August, therefore the price of accomodation goes up (and availability goes down) and the town population pretty much doubles in size (or so it would seem).

And there are usually plenty of us able to get to most major places for a meet. Come to think of it, I don't think there has been one outside of Edinburgh for a while.

PS - all are welcome in this thread. you don't have to be Scottish or in Scotland to join in [Biased]

[ 01. July 2015, 14:40: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

quote:
Wet Kipper: PS - all are welcome in this thread. you don't have to be Scottish or in Scotland to join in [Biased]
Thank you, I thought: if Piglet can stick her snout into many of these threads, so can I [Biased]

quote:
Wet Kipper: The Edinburgh International Festival (and Fringe) takes place in August, therefore the price of accomodation goes up (and availability goes down) and the town population pretty much doubles in size (or so it would seem).
August would be difficult for me anyway, since I'll be out of the country for most of the month. I was personally thinking of September (not that I'd want to set the dates for your Shipmeets [Smile] )

If you're the guest of honour, you get to set the date !

Glasgow and Edinburgh are both very accessible.

quote:
posted by Wed Kipper:
If you're the guest of honour, you get to set the date !

As the kipper says: you tell us when you'll be around, and suggest dates/times that work for you, and we'll all scramble as best we can to get to you. (and yes, central belt is usually good as it's accessible to most of us).

The others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a number of the more recent Scotmeets have been entirely because someone has been visiting Scotland at the time and fancied meeting up with Shippies.

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow are great places (I personally prefer Glasgow, as that's where I lived for several years, but Edinburgh is also a fine place to visit), although (as with any major city) they're both reflective of and entirely different to the wider country, IMO. So a chance at some point to see the countryside would definitely be worth taking. But hey, nobody's restricting you to just the one visit [Smile]

Also, kingsfold, it's been far too long! Let's try and make a meet where we can both attend, rather than just one or the other of us!

Also Inverness is a really very nice one to be in ! It is quite high up.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

LeRoc, I was mad enough to go to Edinburgh for the day to meet orfeo when he was over, so it is possible. (Overnight bus up on Friday night, overnight bus back down on Saturday night)

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
... if Piglet can stick her snout into many of these threads, so can I ...

I may live on the other side of the Big Pond, but my British and Scottish credentials are impeccable: I was born in Inverness, lived in Orkney until I married, then in Northern Ireland for 15 years after that. [Biased]

Oh yes, and my Better Half is English, but I don't hold that against him (except when they beat us at rugby) ... [Big Grin]

I think the last Scottish meet was with me: I had a lovely lunch with North East Quine, Cottontail and Wet Kipper in Edinburgh.

Alright, if we're talking in September, the weekends that still seem ok to me, are the weekend of the 12th and the weekend of the 19th, with a slight preference for the second option.

I think I can get to Glasgow relatively easily. Like Curiosity killed ... said, by bus, or (if I buy the tickets in advance) by train.

I know this may sound a bit daft, but you may find EasyJet flights that are a lot cheaper than the train. I just looked them up, and you could get from Luton to Glasgow and back on the 4th and 5th of September for about £80*, which is probably a good bit cheaper than the train, unless you've got some sort of rail-card.

Just a thought.

* depending on what time of day you're travelling

September is one of the best times to visit Scotland. Midges beginning to die off, fair chance of an Indian summer ...

I'm around for both these weekends you suggest, though I'll be kind of jetlagged on 12th, and panicking about sermons on 19th. But don't let that put you off. [Smile]

I've just realised that I was looking up those flights while LeRoc was writing his post, and they're for the wrong weekend.

[Hot and Hormonal]

Thank you Piglet, I had thought about that but to be honest, I don't like flying much for various reasons (which is very illogical in my profession). If there is a reasonable way to avoid it, I'd very much prefer to take it.

I had a quick look at train prices, and if I buy beforehand, a single from Milton Keynes to Glasgow will cost £49. And of course, one big advantage is that it is much easier to travel from/to the train station (both in MK and in Glasgow) than to an airport, in terms of time, hassle and money.

And there is definitely something to be said for gliding through the British landscape on a train, while enjoying a beverage of my choice. I'd like that very much.

You need to book those advance train tickets 3 months ahead to get the really cheap deals. I have tickets from London to York in August for £13.60 each way, which is cheaper than flying or petrol, but I was checking daily waiting for that tranche to be released. I have paid under £20 for train tickets to Glasgow.

I was dithering about coming up for orfeo's meet until really late, which was why the coach. Again cheaper tickets are available earlier. Megabus runs a sleeper bus, with proper beds, to Glasgow and Edinburgh at about the same price as those train tickets. Leaves Victoria at about 10:30pm.

It may also be cheaper to travel to and from Glasgow via London. It's usually much cheaper for me to travel oop north to meet my daughter than her come south to meet me.

Thunder, lightening and torrential rain here. Flooding in Aberdeen. The North East Man's easiest route home from work is currently impassable. [Frown]

And his fourth easiest route is also now closed, which will push more traffic onto the route I think he will take...

And he's home. Left early and got through before his main route was closed.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

Glad he's home. Aberdeen looks to have been pretty bad.

(BTW I was expecting he'd be a North East Loon [Biased] )

Our son is the North East Loon.

(*cough - speaking of whom *cough* second book *cough* )

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

Well done him [Cool]

Congratulations to your son, NEQ. Well done.

Somebody posted pictures of partially-submerged cars in Aberdeen and I thought of you, NEQ. Glad to hear NE Man got home safely, and well done NE Loon!

It's times like these I'm very glad to live on a hill and have very deep foundations! There were streams of water flowing along every downhill road as I walked home last night and you're right, Piglet, some of the scenes from low-lying areas were pretty dramatic.

I wonder if planning a BBQ for Thursday night is going to prove wise?

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
Our son is the North East Loon.

(*cough - speaking of whom *cough* second book *cough* )

Hooray - we'll be ordering a stack of this one too. Will there be a signing at Waterstone's again?

quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
I wonder if planning a BBQ for Thursday night is going to prove wise?

There will be at least six major shifts in the weather before then ... who knows?

Snow is forecast for most of the mountains right up the eastern coast of Australia, as far as Queensland. Coldest season for thirty years. I don't think I would be planning a BBQ.

Crikey - things are getting serious when it's too cold for an Australian to light the barbie*.

Must be the global warming ... [Devil]

* A friend here used to do roast beef on the barbecue on Boxing Day, temperatures in minus numbers notwithstanding; the barbecue was in a sort of shelter not unlike a car-port.

I have been on holiday for the last week. There is this big orange hot thing in the sky and it isn't going away. Day after day, only one type of weather, sunny. And only one type of sky, blue and cloudless.

Oh, for a grey day, intermittent showers, the patter of summer hailstones. How lovely the soft soughing sound of the word dreich. What fantasies are conjured up by the word drookit.

A fellow Scot said to me, wistfully, it is 17 degrees in Edinburgh today, and we both sighed and imagined the bliss of being in Edinburgh.

We've got a very dreich day here - please help yourself ... [Big Grin]

If I could I would Piglet. I am not designed to cope with high temperatures!

Me neither, NEQ. The top end of my comfort zone is about 20°C, which is expected to be well exceeded here tomorrow. [Frown]

Home! To grey skies and cool breezes. [Axe murder]

I was at a barbeque with some Scottish friends yesterday. It was lovely, and I finally know what Irn Bru is. What I don't understand is why anyone would want to drink it [Razz]

I've never been a huge fan of Irn Bru, although I drank it occasionally as a kid. Some people swear by it as a hangover cure ... [Big Grin]

The Irn Bru adverts are better than the drink itself.

Made in Scotland ... from GIRRRRRRDERRRRRS! [Big Grin]

Showing my age a bit there ... [Hot and Hormonal]

I am a mere Sassenach. I enjoy Irn Bru, especially with fish and chips.

But I cannot distinguish it from Tizer - a statement which my (Scottish) wife finds totally unbelievable.

Ah - brings back memories of our Irn Bru bake-off from about 3 years ago. NEQ and I had a go at some cupcakes, which didn't actually taste of Irn Bru in the end and weren't in the least bit orange. They were just incredibly sweet.

Personally, I can't abide the stuff. It is like drinking liquid bubblegum. But once you have swallowed down a few mouthfuls, you get past the first shock and somehow have to keep going!

I am a big fan of a wee Bru or too, and had a seismic moment just today
I inadvertently picked up a can of Sugar Free* Irn Bru, and was nearly finished before I realised it wasn't the real stuff.
They must have changed the recipe. (it used to be a pale imitation IMHO) I may change my "full fat" ways. My dentist will be pleased (or maybe not, if it means less w*rk for her)

* used to be "Diet" Irn-Bru, which didn't sell well until someone had the brilliant realisation that "Free" and "Sugar" are 2 of the most tempting words to many Scots.

[ 21. July 2015, 21:00: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

I've been to the Scottish kirk today in London at 1pm. It is always really excellent. It also has on Sunday.

We've clear skies down here in the south - for what is probably the first time this summer. So I'm off outside with my fold down chair and my blanket to watch me some meteors. [Smile]

Hope you find them, Cottontail - although it was a nice, clear day I reckon it'll have clouded over by the time they're happening over here.

I did indeed find them, and they were very lovely. [Smile]

I also saw four different satellites scooting about - at least, I assume that is what they were. They were going far too fast to be aeroplanes (several of which I also saw), and all seemed to be heading in the same direction.

One was probably ISS, the International Space Station. When these discussions come up I wonder where I could go to get dark skies - it's not easy round here.

If you know the times that the ISS is visible from the UK then it's easier to know when that's what your seeing. It always travels the same approximate West> East path, and is usually the brightest one you'll see.
As you said, other satellites are easy to recognise as being such, as they don't blink, and seem to go quite fast in a straight line - but they can be from any direction

I was out for about 90 minutes last night - I saw a few meteors and about a dozen different satellites. I also got some pictures of ISS
pictures of ISS - using 30 second long exposures.

in this one you can also see the track of a plane in the lower section of the photo

That's interesting - thanks, Wet Kipper. The first one I saw was about the right time, but there were others thereafter, all but one travelling west-east. I had dismissed the one that shot off in a south-easterly direction as a very high-up plane, so it is nice to know that was a satellite too.

Today we went to Crown Court, Scottish, again at 1pm today. It is very good to be there.

They had bible and sinning one.

www.crowncourtchurch.org.uk

We had tea and sweet things to eat after it !

[Link corrected - WW]

[ 13. August 2015, 14:13: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

quote:
They had bible and sinning one.

[Confused] [Confused]

Version of the Lord's Prayer? "Forgive us our sins", not "Forgive us our trespasses" or "Forgive us our debts"?

I have made a mistake - it is "singing" and always it is really excellent to sing !

quote:
I have made a mistake - it is "singing" and always it is really excellent to sing !

Definitely, singing is good.

The link in Daisymay's post still gave me an error code but this one seems to work:

Crown Court Church

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:

Definitely, singing is good.
I'd say sinning can be fun, too!

[Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I'd say sinning can be fun, too!

As D. is fond of pointing out, where did we get the expression "as miserable as sin"? Sin doesn't have to be miserable ... [Devil]

We were there on Sunday evening and I also went also to day at 1pm. It's always very lovely, at Crown Court, in Covent Garden.

They also told me it was also Mystery Worship a while ago. I have managed to see it - on 2437 in the church places.

I do like visiting it. It's not one I belong to it. I just manage to visit it an it takes a while to get there.

Le Roc, are you still up for a Scottish meet in September?

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Is anyone around Skye or Kyle of Lochalsh? Mr C and I are looking at taking a cottage for a few days at the end of September/ beginning of October around there.

Cattyish, hoping for fine weather for running.

I will be going to the Scottish kirk this evening in London. It is a long way from me and it is lovely and excellent.

Hooray for the Tweeddale Railway, opening today!

(Lucky you, we're still waiting for the Ebbw Vale to Newport line to reopen although the line is all there; it's just waiting for re-signalling and has been for ten years!)

I have just been to the Scottish church this evening. It is always very good. It's a long way from me where I am. It's lovely there.

quote:
North East Quine: Le Roc, are you still up for a Scottish meet in September?
I'm sorry; September turned out to be a bit more chaotic than I thought, due to some unexpected visits from the Netherlands. I could try for October (but I'm afraid I'm already quite late and the train tickets will be rather expensive?)

Hm, I'd still like to go to Scotland for a weekend. I just found out that Milton Keynes has direct services to Edinburgh too, that seems rather interesting.

November and December are already getting quite full (I'll be out of the UK for most of these months). One possibility might still be 25/26 October. Like I said before, I'd like to walk through the city a bit, visit a few museums, churches ... and I'd love it if it would be possible to meet some Shipmates for dinner and/or beer in the evening.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Hooray for the Tweeddale Railway, opening today!

Went on it the day after it opened, the day before the Queen (had to check it was safe for her [Biased] ). Then, the next day, we stood at Newtongrange station to see the Queen arrive by steam train and unveil a plaque.

What a superb railway! I can recommend taking a trip from Waverley to the far end (Tweedbank), then walking along the cycle path and alongside the river into the town of Melrose to enjoy the beautiful town and the ancient abbey.

quote:
Hm, I'd still like to go to Scotland for a weekend. I just found out that Milton Keynes has direct services to Edinburgh too, that seems rather interesting.

November and December are already getting quite full (I'll be out of the UK for most of these months). One possibility might still be 25/26 October. Like I said before, I'd like to walk through the city a bit, visit a few museums, churches ... and I'd love it if it would be possible to meet some Shipmates for dinner and/or beer in the evening.

I'd like to go, but I'm very committed at the end of that week, so I won't know till the last minute if I can pop down.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

Just back from a whistlestop tour that took in Edinburgh, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, John O Groats, Loch Ness, Fort William, Oban and Glasgow .... in 6 days!! Loved your beautiful country.

You must have barely stopped moving.

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Just back from a whistlestop tour that took in Edinburgh, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, John O Groats, ...

You got as far as John O'Groats and didn't go to Orkney??? [Confused]

Next time, eh? [Smile]

quote:
Like I said before, I'd like to walk through the city a bit, visit a few museums, churches ... and I'd love it if it would be possible to meet some Shipmates for dinner and/or beer in the evening.

I might be free in the daytime, depending on the day, but am unlikely to be free in the evening.

quote:

You need to keep moving in Scotland. To avoid freezing up, going rusty in the rain, or to keep clear of the midges. (I can say this as my [Scottish] wife rarely reads this site!)

[ 13. October 2015, 06:55: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
quote:

You need to keep moving in Scotland. To avoid freezing up, going rusty in the rain, or to keep clear of the midges. (I can say this as my [Scottish] wife rarely reads this site!)
Certainly keeping clear of the midges. You have two options keep moving or make a deal with the devil

Gracious rebel, what did you see in Aberdeen?

Re. Midges, also go to Chapter 15 of this book. The "Vital Spark": long may her lum reek!

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

quote:
Gracious rebel, what did you see in Aberdeen?

Very very little to be honest. Probably my biggest regret of the whole trip was that although we stayed a night in (the outskirts of) Aberdeen, due to heavy rain, traffic jams, and exhaustion, we didn't actually make it into the city centre.

[ 13. October 2015, 22:14: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

Part of Aberdeen city centre is currently a building site, sadly, and the art gallery is closed for refurbishment. I don't think you missed much. If I were advising someone with a single day in Aberdeen I would suggest the university area in Old Aberdeen, not the city centre.

I wonder what tourists make of the current building works, not much probably.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Spent one day in Aberdeen, sadly all I could manage. But what a packed day it was - walked from the seafront into the Old Town (university and old cathedral), then right down the street towards the new town (Episcopal and RC cathedral, Maritime museum and shopping area) then back round to the seafront again. Fortunately all in beautiful weather, a wonderful introduction to the granite city.

That is a good route, Chorister. St Machar's Cathedral, the Chanonry, King's College, High Street are superb. Was the new University library there when you were there?

What was your route into town? King Street? That would take you to the Episcopal Cathedral with its American themed ceiling. Then down Union Street (finest street in the Empire at one point, alas not now) to St Mary's Cathedral? Passing the Mither Kirk and Union Terrace Gardens en route? Then doubling back to the Maritime museum.

An excellent sample of Aberdeen!

I'm just realising it must be at least fifteen years since I was in Aberdeen.

**sigh**

I'm very sorry, my life is a bit complex sometimes, and this doesn't always make it easy to plan ahead.

I'm in the UK, and I always wanted to go to Scotland some day, so I should do it now. I booked a train ticket and a hotel in Edinburgh, arriving Saturday 7 November around noon, and leaving Sunday 8 at the end of the afternoon.

I plan to walk around a bit, see if I can visit interesting churches, museums ... If there are Shipmates who have time for a meal or a drink, I'd like that a lot.

LeRoc, a specific thread for your visit would possibly get more attention than the general Scottish thread. Put the dates in title to catch attention.

I hope you have a great visit. I don't see that i will be there any time soon, but Scotland is on my bucket list.

[ 18. October 2015, 22:41: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Take a big bucket. It rains.

quote:
Take a big bucket. It rains.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to remember.

But don't bother with an umbrella, because it mostly rains sideways.

AG

Often from several different directions at the same time.

But you still have daylight in November? [Smile]

For at least an hour or two ... [Big Grin]

If you aren't in shade for three months (what's that place?).

quote:
I'm very sorry, my life is a bit complex sometimes, and this doesn't always make it easy to plan ahead.

I'm in the UK, and I always wanted to go to Scotland some day, so I should do it now. I booked a train ticket and a hotel in Edinburgh, arriving Saturday 7 November around noon, and leaving Sunday 8 at the end of the afternoon.

I plan to walk around a bit, see if I can visit interesting churches, museums ... If there are Shipmates who have time for a meal or a drink, I'd like that a lot.

I think we might be around that weekend. We wouldn't be able to do anything during the evening as we have an under-2, but during the day might be possible.

Who's up for an Irn Bru pilgrimage? [Devil]
Anyone tried any of these?

Posted by Cathscats (# 17827) on :

Iran Bru sorbet is actually very refreshing!

Once again, the ban on haggis in the US is in the news. This time the suggestion is to change the recipe to get around the ban. BBC News.

I was in the butchers two weeks ago, and the man ahead of me in the queue was ordering sheep's hearts and pigs' teeth. I couldn't work out what sort of meal could be cooked using heart and teeth, so I asked. Turned out he was a science teacher getting supplies for a biology class.

I see on the news that you've got weather there, even giving them names now. It must be getting bad, I hear that Abigail has been upgraded to normal Hebridean weather. Hang in tight.

Now they've started naming our storms, we all know what Scotland will be calling the next one (beginning with B). Sadly the Met Office rules out ever officially naming a storm "Bawbag".

I was just wondering if Abigail is to be followed by Barbiegail, Carriegail etc all the way to Zoegail.

Either that, or they'll add 'ina' to all the male storm names? So next up would be Barneyina.

Some years ago, a cyclone here was given a very unusual name which I have now forgotten. I remember thinking that perhaps the person responsible for naming had consulted a book of baby names. Now there are many sites for such things. It would be easy to consult such a site and move through the alphabet that way.

We were very lucky regarding Abigail - I think we may have got the last ferry from Orkney before it hit (and actually had a very decent crossing). The waves coming in on the coast as we drove south through Sutherland were pretty impressive, and by the time we stopped in Inverness for petrol (as you do) the heavens had opened.

Unfortunately they did that opening thing while D. was obeying the "bong" from the hire car telling him to check the tyre pressure, and he got absolutely drookled.

And the chuffing thing's still bonging ... [Mad]

[ 14. November 2015, 23:46: Message edited by: Piglet ]

I refuse to comment on the grounds that if I do it will only get me in trouble.

Isn't "in trouble" your default setting? [Big Grin]

The bong is now Not Our Problem; the hire car has gone back (complete with bong).

We had a lovely couple of days with my family in Edinburgh, in particular meeting my new great-nephew, who is 3 months old and completely off the scale on the cute-o-meter. [Smile]

I am going this afternoon at 1 at the Scottish church, kirk, which is in London. My parents belong to it as he come to do work. It is an excellent one.

I see there's a warning of snow this weekend. Although, the amount seems uncertain.
quote:
The Met Office said up to 4cm (1in) of snow could fall at lower levels and to 10cm (3in) above 150m (492ft)
Are those conversions by the Met Office or BBC? Whoever it is needs to be clearer. Is it 4cm (1.57in) or 1in (2.54cm) of snow? The higher ground values are equally confusing, 10cm is 3.94 inches. They managed to get the conversion between m and ft right though.

There was enough snow to be visible on the hills when we were in Edinburgh last weekend; it was falling as wet flakes in the city, but not lying.

quote:
Although, the amount seems uncertain.
quote:
The Met Office said up to 4cm (1in) of snow could fall at lower levels and to 10cm (3in) above 150m (492ft)
Are those conversions by the Met Office or BBC? Whoever it is needs to be clearer. Is it 4cm (1.57in) or 1in (2.54cm) of snow? The higher ground values are equally confusing, 10cm is 3.94 inches.
I presume they rounded the inches down after conversion.

We've had about an inch. It's very pretty.

Our neighbour's cat, thwarted by frozen ground and snow from crapping in our veg patch, has realised that the large plant pot on our front door step which is sheltered from snow and remained unfrozen, can be used as a substitute toilet. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

We had Kirkin' of the Tartans this morning at my parish in St. Louis, Missouri. I wore my full Highland drag, including my woven-in-the-Shetlands-200-year-ago Edmondston plaid, and thought of you.

I've no idea what Kirkin' of the Tartans is.

Can you tell us more about it, Rossweisse? It's not something I've come across in Scotland, but it sounds interesting.

I can't help thinking that a Shetland-knitted plaid probably redefines "warm"!

AG

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

I am sorry but it's Scot-American or Scots Diaspora tradition and not something practiced in Scotland.

Jengie

They used to have a "Kirking of the Council" ceremony in St. Magnus Cathedral, which was attended by the newly-elected members of the Kirkwall Town Council (and later of Orkney Islands Council). I don't know if they still do it or not.

Nothing to do with tartan though (unless you count the uniforms of the Kirkwall City Pipe Band). [Big Grin]

Aberdeen has a "Kirking of the Council." Some of our cooncilors are sorely in need of a good kirking.

quote:
North East Quine: Some of our cooncilors are sorely in need of a good kirking.
I'm sorry but in my head, I'm hearing this line pronounced by Private Frazer.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
I am sorry but it's Scot-American or Scots Diaspora tradition and not something practiced in Scotland.

Jengie

Which still doesn't explain what it is. How can someone write so much about something without describing what they're talking about?

My apologies, Alan, for annoying you. I didn't think I'd written that much; I did - mistakenly, obviously - think that the Kirkin' was a Scots ceremony.

It's a celebration of Scotland and family, held in American churches (mostly Presbyterian and Episcopal) since it was invented in 1941. We have a bagpipe band playing indoors, wear our plaids, do a roll call of the clans, and otherwise observe St. Andrew's Day on a Sunday in November when said bagpipe band is available.

I wore my Henderson kilted skirt under my choir robes, and the family's 200-year-old Edmondston plaid over it. Happily, it was a cool day.

Here's more, if you're interested: All about the Kirkin'.

[ 24. November 2015, 19:58: Message edited by: Rossweisse ]

Rossweisse, I assumed Alan was talking about the writer of the article which Jengie posted (the same one as yours), rather than about your post! I must admit, having read the article I'm still not much the wiser as to what the service would involve.

It's really interesting how diaspora communities, no doubt starting off by remembering their former traditions, end up with traditions that evolve themselves until they're entirely new (if that makes sense).

In other news, this week is Scottish Book Week, and I picked up my free copy of Journeys (the free book being given out for this year's Book Week) at the library yesterday. If you click on the link you can download an e-version of the book. I see Diana Gabaldon (author of Outlander) was at Stirling Castle last night as part of the festival, not that I was able to make it. Our vague and very tenuous claim to fame is that in a future (presumaby the next) series, the land near the Elf Lass's nursery (which is fields/farmland mainly) will feature, as they were filming there for a few days last month.

Equally tenuous claim to fame - I know someone who knows someone who has a part in the next Outlanders series.

Rossweisse, I love to hear of the Scottish diaspora evolving in distant places. I also love other diasporas here bringing their own traditions and melding them with ours (though halal haggis isn't a patch on the genuine article!)

One of my gt gt gt grandfathers was a Henderson, but he disappeared as soon as my gt gt gt granny found out she was pregnant. So I don't know anything about him or my further back Henderson ancestry. Poor gt gt gt granny had no more luck with the next two men who got her pregnant, but she lived to be 86, so she was obviously made of stern stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
My apologies, Alan, for annoying you. I didn't think I'd written that much; I did - mistakenly, obviously - think that the Kirkin' was a Scots ceremony.

As Jack surmised my comment related to the linked article, not to anything you wrote. So, you did nothing to annoy me. Nor, for that matter, was I particularly annoyed by the article - it seemed to take for granted that people knew what Kirkin' the Tartan is (which for churches where this is an annual event would be the case) and was explaining the origins. Which still leaves those of us wanting to know what it is none the wiser.

quote:
One of my gt gt gt grandfathers was a Henderson, but he disappeared as soon as my gt gt gt granny found out she was pregnant. So I don't know anything about him or my further back Henderson ancestry.

I have a Henderson ancestor too, who did exactly the same thing. [Paranoid]

A quick Google led me to this other bit of history that shows the origin is indeed Scots! There are also a few little bits on Youtube.com for those interested.

[Your friendly neighbourhood Host who had a bit of time on his hands this morning.]

I'm glad to know that I did not inadvertently annoy. Thank you.

My Henderson ancestors were married and stayed put as far back as we can trace them. So were the MacLeod, MacPherson, MacGregor, Edmondston and... I forget the other clan... ancestral units.

I enjoy the skirling of the pipes, but not indoors.

I agree, pipes should always be outside, preferably about 5 miles distant!

On a few occasions I have been inside a building with a pipe band (3-4 pipers plus drums). It is a rousing sound.

Previous remark deleted - but I really am not a lover of the pipes.

[ 25. November 2015, 05:56: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

quote:
quote:
One of my gt gt gt grandfathers was a Henderson, but he disappeared as soon as my gt gt gt granny found out she was pregnant. So I don't know anything about him or my further back Henderson ancestry.

I have a Henderson ancestor too, who did exactly the same thing. [Paranoid]
He wasn't called William by any chance? A blacksmith to trade? [Paranoid]

Something tells me that Wodders would not be impressed by Douglas Adams' ideal lover, the legendary Dagenham Girl Pipers... [Devil]

AG

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

My father always said to watch out for men wearing skirts, as they played the bagpipes - you can guess the age of that. He, I and Dlet in turn all attended what used be a Presbyterian school, now Uniting Church, which gives you some idea of how much he disliked them. They do have their place, that being rehearsals on cold misty mornings, on the main oval, being heard a few hundred metres away on the local station.

You're heathens the lot of you. Where would the British Empire have been without Devils in Skirts?

You beat me to it, Alan - that's exactly what I was thinking.

We sang in the choir at St. Magnus Cathedral on Remembrance Sunday, and there was, as is right and proper, a lament played by a piper. Unfortunately he was only a couple of feet south-west of my left ear ... [Eek!]

I don't mind bagpipes outdoors, especially if they're playing Scotland the Brave or Highland Cathedral.

[tangent]
D. was once asked by a bride in Northern Ireland if he'd accompany a piper at her wedding. She said, "you probably won't know the piece - it's called Highland Cathedral". "Know it?" he replied, "I used to be the organist of it". [Big Grin]
[/tangent OFF]

I think my next Carry On... DVD purchase will have to be the Khyber one - it is a classic.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

There's a very good piper who stands on the causeway on Lindisfarne. That's pretty much as outdoors as you can get.

I like a good piper, but the guy in the centre of Leeds last week was not it. He was 'playing' Scotland the Brave and missing the top note by a good tone and a half with every single attempt. [Disappointed]

There's a kirk at the end of my road which is quite popular for weddings. A couple of months ago I walked past it as they were all waiting for the guests and bridal party to arrive, and the piper who was already in situ outside started playing the theme to "Star Wars". It made me smile, although I did partly wish that he'd played the Death March.

Piglet, are you in Orkney?

I grew up in Orkney, and my dad still lives there. We were there on holiday a couple of weeks ago, and as we usually do when we're there, sang with the Cathedral choir on the Sunday.

[Smile]

I guess this is where the rest of the UK thanks Scotland for producing Andy Murray, who has played a huge part in winning the Davis Cup for Britain, for the first time since 1936.

OK, it wasn't a one-man show, but it helps when you have a player with an 8-0 record in singles and a 3-0 record in doubles.

Absolutely - well done the whole team! And, appropriately enough, on the eve of St. Andrew's Day.

Happy haggis-hunting, one and all! [Smile]

Unfortunately the haggis-hunting link I posted to my facebook page earlier today turned out to be 2 years old (from the last year they did it) and I think it's not actually happening [Frown]

I certainly couldn't find any mention of it on "The Scotsman's" website.

That will make the second year of no haggis!

That being the case, we'll just have to make our own.

I've done this recipe, and with a bit of tweaking (IIRC I doubled the amount of the spices, as it was a bit bland) and the judicious addition of some cooking whisky it's really rather nice. As it's made in a loaf-tin, you can fool the more squeamish of your friends into thinking it's a meat-loaf, but if you fork it up on a serving-platter and serve it with clapshot, you'd hardly know it wasn't the real thing.

Since the heart, lungs and suet are omitted from that recipe, it's little wonder it's bland. There's a lot of flavour in those ingredients. AIUI, it's only the lungs that are classed as 'inedible' by the USDA, there should be no reason why you couldn't include the heart and suet into the recipe, reducing the need to boost the spice content to compensate.

There is a reason - despite my almost completely unalloyed Scottishness, I'd be a bit nervous about handling anything more extreme than liver myself. [Hot and Hormonal]

I'm happy to eat the real thing, but for making it myself, liver is about the limit of my offal bravery.

There I was thinking that piglet was offally brave...

AG

(Groan).

The haggis we had last night had as its ingredients: Oatmeal, Stock, Pork Lungs, Beef Suet, Bacon(Pork, Salt, Potassium Nitrate (E252), Sodium Nitrite (E250), Pork Liver, Lamb Heart, Pork Heart, Onions, Salt, Pepper, Spices. It was excellent although slightly different to the MacSween's we've had in the past.

The best haggis I've ever had came from the butcher in Eyemouth, their own make. It was much darker than usual in colour.

[ 01. December 2015, 15:43: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

A butcher friend of ours in Belfast used to make seriously good haggis; he even used to win haggis-making competitions, leading to some deeply disgruntled Scotsmen.

He said that his recipe didn't use offal (how exactly he defined "offal" I don't know); the haggis was made in a large (about 8" diameter) sausage-shape (a bit like whole mortadella sausage) and he would cut chunks from it. His preferred method of cooking was in the microwave ( [Eek!] ) but it actually worked very well.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Unfortunately the haggis-hunting link I posted to my facebook page earlier today turned out to be 2 years old (from the last year they did it) and I think it's not actually happening [Frown]

I received an email from the people responsible for haggis hunting. First email in several years so hardly spam.

They say the site collapsed and would cost a sizable amount to get back up. They also say it has been hard to find a sponsor.

Couldn't they get Macsween's? [Big Grin]

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

The shutting of the Forth Road Bridge will cause fun and a chaos. Hope noone on here is too badly effected.

quote:
Who's up for an Irn Bru pilgrimage? [Devil]
Anyone tried any of these?

the irn bru coffee guy is one of the teenagers from our church. I don't drink coffee so I haven't tried it, his Dad says it works better as a flavoured cold espresso rather than hot.

I got some of the fudge for my birthday, and found it a bit too sticky and sweet as a fudge. It felt like it would work better as a flavoured crumbly tablet

[ 04. December 2015, 11:11: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
The shutting of the Forth Road Bridge will cause fun and a chaos. Hope noone on here is too badly effected.

Not directly affected, but the traffic in Stirling and surrounding area was much worse than usual today, as the diversion to the Kincardine and Clacks bridges involves getting onto the M876 which is fairly near here. It took me ages to get to and from nursery this evening after work - though I was thinking while I was stuck at a roundabout in Bannockburn of an alternative route to nursery, but then went home that way and the traffic was even worse so I'll probably just stick with what I do normally. My colleague (who lives in Clacks) had more trouble, I think it's going to be a bit of a nightmare for her.

In other news, it's blowing an absolute hoolie out there!

I've got to get to Dunfermline tomorrow. [Waterworks] Means braving the nightmare roadworks at Hamilton. There is no good route.

This is after getting stuck in the snow-related snarl-up outside Edinburgh yesterday. A 90 minute journey took 6 hours.

Blawin' a hoolie here too tonight.

Very, very windy here, and wet.

You OK cottontail? It looks like your neck of the woods is bearing the brunt of this.

I hear you're on to Hurricane Desmond now - look after yourselves, and batten down the hatches.

[Votive]

We're battening down for Gertrude!

Our nearest river has burst its banks quite spectacularly and we really need it to stop now.

Here's hoping Gertrude is observing Dry January. The photos you're putting on facebook are pretty eek-inducing.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

This thread is so, so...2015! Catch up after the bad weather, if Scotland still exists then...

Our village hall is being prepared in case anyone has to be evacuated from their homes overnight. [Frown]

I've just realised that this thread is becoming somewhat out of date (thanks Uncle Pete!), so I'll close this one and start a new one.

© Ship of Fools 2016