Thread: Annual London Absent Friends Meet, 6th February 2016 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029844

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

For the last 10 years* it has been our custom to meet up at the beginning of the year to raise a glass or seven to our departed shipmate Gambit.

During that time, we have been unfortunate to lose other shipmates, most notably recently ken who was another stalwart of London shipmeets.

So, I propose that we meet at our usual venue The Jugged Hare in Victoria (the location of the last shipmeet Gambit organised) around the first weekend in February. Anyone else up for it?

*Yes, it really has been 10 years [Frown]

[edited to include date in the title - Piglet, AS host]

[ 11. January 2016, 14:55: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I've known Gambit and ken only from their posting on the Ship; happy to raise a pint in their memory. I might be able to make it to London that weekend.

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

Hah - I just came here to start such a thread...realising that somehow we had failed to do so in December.

I'm in. First weekend in Feb - so that's Sat 6th February - works for me. (Other Sats in Feb also looking good - but Jan is is out now.)

[edited to correct the date a bit - WW]

[ 06. January 2016, 12:30: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Spike - do you have a way to get in touch with A about it? I seem to have lost her contact details?

I'm friends with her on Facebook. I'll inbox her.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

It would be good to make it to this, given that I missed last year's due to an illness in the family.

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Macarius and I will be there. Anyone seen Deputy Verger or Rosamundi lately?

M

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

Met Ken in person at a few SoCal meets. We were so happy for him when he finally found the right girl and married her....poor man - he just wasn't built for longevity.

Never met Gambit but he sounds like he must have been a great guy.

I wish I could go, but a) this is my busy season and b) our passports are out of order!

[Disappointed]

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Macarius and I will be there. Anyone seen Deputy Verger or Rosamundi lately?

M

I've texted Rosamundi. Are we OK for Sat 6th?

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

10 years!

[Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Met Ken in person at a few SoCal meets. We were so happy for him when he finally found the right girl and married her....poor man - he just wasn't built for longevity.

[Confused]

ken wasn't married and to the best of my knowledge never attended a SoCal shipmeet. (I don't think even ever visited SoCal). You must be thinking of someone else.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

Sir K is mixing Ken with Kenwritez.

Jengie

I've been assuming it's 6th February.

M.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Yangtze and I were certainly talking about 6 February today

OK, 6th Feb it is [Yipee]

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

Thanks for the reminder, Spike. I'll be there

Tubbs

6 Feb is OK for me.

In which case can a friend Host change the header to include the date: 6th Feb?

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

I hope to be there - trouble is I say that every year, then don't quite manage to make it - but I'll try.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
In which case can a friend Host change the header to include the date: 6th Feb?

Done.

Piglet, AS host

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

Count me in!

quote:
Originally posted by starbelly:
Count me in!

Consider yourself counted.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Provisionally pencilled in [Smile]

It's still looking good for me too.

I tweeted Maddy and Dave W (I think that is his ship name) and they are up for it too. And I've let Rosamundi know the date.

If people are absent from the Ship but not from this life it adds a whole other level to the moniker 'absent friends meet' doesn't it.

quote:
I tweeted Maddy and Dave W (I think that is his ship name) and they are up for it too. And I've let Rosamundi know the date.

If people are absent from the Ship but not from this life it adds a whole other level to the moniker 'absent friends meet' doesn't it.

It's my one yearly connection with a community that played such a major part of my life!

I've sent a message to Agent Smith as well

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I've sent a message to Agent Smith as well

Say hi to her from me if she comes. She was my partner in crime at a Wightmeet.

Deputy Verger messaged as well.

M.

Does someone fancy calling the pub and reserving a table? Upstairs if we can. I'd offer but I've just managed to login to HMRC and am starting my tax return (8 days till deadline) so even just posting here is already a distraction and procrastination!

Spike- did you manage to get hold of Persephone Hazard?

Posted by Maddie (# 11) on :

I've just tried calling but no answer. Was going to book for about 15.

Someone else is welcome to try, but perhaps better post here once one of us has managed it!

Look forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks.

Posted by Maddie (# 11) on :

I've made a booking, we can have the first strip of tables upstairs but there is another group up there as well.

I have booked a table for about 15 people for about 7pm in the name of Maddie. However, the kitchen now closes at 8pm (new management) so be warned!! She offered the chance to pre-order but that sounds like far too much hard work!

I don't mind changing the booking if people think that's best?

Yay, well done.

I have completed 1% of my tax return. And downloaded about a zillion bills (mobile, landline, broadband)....

Brilliant! I might be there a little earlier, as planning on going to Tate Britain and I think they kick you out at 6pm!

Posted by pete173 (# 4622) on :

May be able to make this one.

[ 30. January 2016, 18:09: Message edited by: pete173 ]

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

Would love to be able to make this again but definitely not this year.

I am hoping that this time next year PaulW and I might be able to leave the MiniBeasts with my sister and have a weekend in London!

Auntie Doris x

quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
May be able to make this one.

Oh that would be excellent. I still owe you a pint from the last one you attended, if that's an extra incentive to come :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Would love to be able to make this again but definitely not this year.
Am hoping that this time next year PaulW and I might be able to <...> have a weekend in London!

Now that is something to look forward too. Would be lovely to see you guys.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

I'm going to try to come. I've never managed to get the courage together to make it to a shipment before, but I want to do so this year, and a very nice welcoming PM from a shippie who's going makes me think I might just make it this time.

I remember Gambit from back in the mists of Ship time, and I still notice the absence of and miss ken's posts, so I'd like to join you all to raise a mutual glass to them, if that's ok.

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
I remember Gambit from back in the mists of Ship time, and I still notice the absence of and miss ken's posts, so I'd like to join you all to raise a mutual glass to them, if that's ok.

You will be most welcome!

Thanks. I'm going to try to get there, but the Tube strike might make it awkward.
Will do my best if it's do-able though. [Smile]

quote:
Thanks. I'm going to try to get there, but the Tube strike might make it awkward.
Will do my best if it's do-able though. [Smile]

The number 2 bus goes right past the pub!

Neil

I arrive on Euston station. My phone tells me that from there it's a 47min walk to the pub. That's doable.

Posted by pete173 (# 4622) on :

If strike happens, it doesn't start till 9.00 pm. So it's only a problem for getting home!

I've made it an issue before I go to a pub never to think about the question "how will I get home?" [Smile]

The number 2 bus doesn't get me home. Not much gets me home if the tube doesn't run. [Frown]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Just stay in the pub all night!

[Big Grin]

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

I know this area quite well as I walk past the pub on my way to and from work. The buses (with routes on the links) that go past are the 2, 36, 185 and 436. For those coming down from the Kings Cross/Euston side, the 24 is a fair route with a tiny bit of walking either side.

I probably won't be around, unless work goes really badly and I have to work on Saturday, in which case I may swing by on my way home.

I am out beyond TfL buses by some distance. The options would be an overground route from Liverpool Street, followed by a bus, but most of them are closed for Crossrail work. And most of the linking buses don't run late in the evening.

[ 04. February 2016, 18:15: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Sounds like some Tubes will be running. Got this email from TFL today;

quote:
Dear luvanddaisies,

The RMT union is currently planning to strike from the evening of Saturday 6 February for 48 hours. If this goes ahead, Tube services would be disrupted from early evening on Saturday and all day on Sunday 7 and Monday 8 February. As the strike involves Tube station staff, Tube services will be running but many stations may open late, close early, or may not open at all.

Services on London Overground, the bus network, DLR, tram, river and TfL Rail services will run normally, but they may be much busier than usual. Extra buses will operate. Weekend engineering works on the Tube, TfL Rail and London Overground will go ahead as planned.

Buses do not accept cash. Please use contactless payment or Oyster, or a bus & tram pass ticket. Contactless is the same fare as Oyster.

Please check before you travel and visit tfl.gov.uk/tube-strike or follow @TfLTravelAlerts, @TfLTrafficNews and @TfLBusAlerts on Twitter for the latest information.

...so it might not be too bad. Not like the ones where no Tubes run at all and life as we know it ends.

So may I recap?

1) The place is The Jugged Hare. That's 172 Vauxhall Bridge Road, Victoria?
2) What time?
3) Secret handshake?

1) Yes
2) 7pm
3) If I posted that then it wouldn't be secret.

Neil

The Tube strike has been called off [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

The strike has been called off!!!

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Does someone perhaps have Influence in High Places? [Paranoid]

Well, one doesn't like to brag...

(except about posting it first [Razz] )

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Well, one doesn't like to brag...

(except about posting it first [Razz] )

I had it ready then got collared by a colleague before I could hit "add reply".

I just came here to write that too so I didn't feel like such a harbinger of doom. [Razz]

I might still go early and walk from Euston to Victoria. I like walking through London.

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

I did promise someone who is going to a funeral in Putney on Monday I'd pray the strike wouldn't go ahead...

Yeah, the weekend is back on.

I sent out a work e-mail reminding people to make arrangements for Monday if there was a strike and said in passing I was not impressed either as it was affecting my weekend plans. (The Monday morning commute would have had to start with a bus at 6:30am, whichever route I chose.)

Looking forward to seeing you all later!

Neil

Posted by Dave Walker (# 14) on :

Hello. Just an update for anyone wanting food: last orders for food are now 7.30pm. We will be getting there earlier, maybe 6ish.

See you later.

I'll probably be a bit early too. The stress of drinking and having to order before 7:30 is too much for me [Smile]

I'm eating before meeting. It's just easier that way, especially as I'm already in town.

I'm going to aim for 7ish, looking forward to meeting you all.

Sorry, all, looks like it's not going to happen this evening after all.

M.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

I'll raise a virtual pint with you all later from not-so-sunny Scotland. I miss London meets (and our absent friends). [Frown] I hope that you all have a great evening - hi to all who remember me!

I'm in the jugged hare, at the corner of the bar, watching Scotland vs England.

Hoping to be with you between 7 - 7.30

I'm here, but I'm not sure who I'm looking for. Went upstairs, looked lost, don't know if anyone is there yet or not.

have come back down to the bar for a drink. Might go up again in a bit, or might give up and go home.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I think I will just hang out and pretend I am in England. Was The Jugged Hare where we met in '08?

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

Sorry we didn't make it (again). Hope you are all having a great time and have met up with each other.

People here aren't sure. It may have been another one.

I remeber looking across the street and seeing the BBC sign. Does that help?

Never mind, hi everyone!

Definitely not this one, sorry. You went to something called Mulberry's on the South Bank.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Has luvanddaisies found everyone? I hope so! [Smile]

Yes she has [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Has luvanddaisies found everyone? I hope so! [Smile]

I have indeed [Smile]

Hi Kelly, your meet was at the Mulberry Bush on Upper Ground, near Waterloo, opposite the London ITV studios.

And yes, luvndaisiesv is sitting next to me, so she's found us.

The joy of being in a pub with not one, not two but three admins means I now have my login password and can post from my phone again. Hurrah.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
The joy of being in a pub with not one, not two but three admins means I now have my login password and can post from my phone again. Hurrah.

Sounds like a very profitable Shipmeet for you. Forgot my password a few weeks ago and had to email for it. [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

Hey, Yangtze! Glad you're looped in again!

[ no way am I gonna let that typo stand.]

[ 06. February 2016, 23:13: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Great evening! See you all next year..

I liked it a lot. Good people, good chat, good beer.

Gambit must have been quite a character.

It was really good to meet you all. I'm glad I finally got the confidence to make it along after all this time!
I'll try to make it to whatever the next London meet might be [Smile]

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

Well that was fun. A fitting end to dry January

Tubbs

Fab evening. Good to meet friends old and new and remember those no longer with us.

quote:
It was really good to meet you all. I'm glad I finally got the confidence to make it along after all this time!
I'll try to make it to whatever the next London meet might be [Smile]

Glad you found us in the end!

© Ship of Fools 2016