Thread: Paschal Penguin 2016 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029854

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

Once more the Paschal Penguin waddles into action, bringing joy and friendship to the fore in the run up to Easter.

Like the more widely known Secret Santa, the Paschal Penguin links shipmates around the world in an exchange of Easter gifts ---- gifts with a maximum commercial cost of £5 (or its local equivalent - I'll leave you to do the maths) but the value of which can only be measured in the fun of picking out something for your chosen recipient and the delight of receiving a surprise parcel in the post.

If you would like to participate this year, please register your interest here on this thread, then send me a PM detailing your postal address, any preferences for gift (e.g. likes/dislikes/allergies as far as chocolate is concerned or whether you'd rather a non-edible gift), and whether you would prefer to send within your own country or abroad.

The exchange is a secret one - you are encouraged not to disclose who you are partnered with.

Timescale: Sign up here by February 26th. I will allocate you the person to send to that weekend. Then please aim to get your parcel in the post to arrive some time around Easter..... but we are a very patient lot here and if circumstances prevent an early posting, then as long as the parcel arrives well before Pentecost, then the Paschal Penguin will be content.

Let the fun begin [Smile]

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

I'm in - PM sent.

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

Definitely in.

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

Yes please. Thank you Smudgie. Just about to send details...

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Yes please.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Woo hoo! Sign me up, bird!

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Me too [Smile]

Posted by St Everild (# 3626) on :

And me, please!

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

Yay for the penguin. I'm in.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

Count me in, please.

Posted by JB (# 1776) on :

Motherboard and JB want in. PM to follow.

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

Yes please!

Posted by Doone (# 18470) on :

Yes please!

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

Joining up too - PM on its way.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Me, too!

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

I'm in! PM sent.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Sounds like fun. [Smile] PM sent.

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

I'm in, believe Sandemaniac said yes when I mentioned this the other night. Will send PM tonight once I've found out if he's in as well!

Posted by marzipan (# 9442) on :

pm sent!

PM sent for me and Sandemaniac.

Posted by Helen-Eva (# 15025) on :

Yes please!

ElaineC 
Rowen
Boogie
Dormouse
St Gwladys
Kelly Alves
St Everild
Surfing Madness
Jacobsen
JB
Motherboard
Doone
Sasara
Mamacita
Lyda Rose
Marzipan
Celtic Knotweed
Sandemaniac
North East Quine
Helen-Eva
Adrienne
Smudgie

With one week to go for signing up, we have 22 participants so far. If you've signed up and your name is not here, let me know and check that you remembered to send me a message with your details. If you haven't signed up yet, come on, what are you waiting for? [Smile]

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Knocks on door

Yoo hoo!

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

It's okay Smudgie, I didn't hear anything either.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

Sneaking in under the wire ... I would like to join in too, please. PM sent directly. [Smile]

Just a reminder (and a bump for the thread) that you have six days left to sign up if you want to take part in this years Paschal Penguin.

The list so far is....

ElaineC
Rowen
Boogie
Dormouse
St Gwladys
Kelly Alves
St Everild
Surfing Madness
Jacobsen
JB
Motherboard
Doone
Sasara
Mamacita
Lyda Rose
Marzipan
Celtic Knotweed
Sandemaniac
North East Quine
Helen-Eva
Adrienne
Smudgie

Adding Cottontail to the list.....

Oh, and did I hear a whimper from the west somewhere?

That makes 24 so far.

Et moi, et moi!!! Did you not get my PM??

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

I'd like to join in please. PM to follow.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Yes please. PM in the post.

I do believe I've done it!

Please check your inbox and you should now have the name, address and preferences of the shipmate who has been randomly selected to be the recipient of your generosity.

Apologies if the fickle flipper of fate has resulted in you getting a recipient or sender that you've been matched with before. It really is names out of a hat!

If I have somehow mysteriously missed you off my mailing list, let me know a.s.a.p and I will rectify it immediately.. or when I have a bit of spare time on my hands, at least (which, looking at my "to do" list, may be some time!)

So now, let the festive frolics begin. Get out there and lovingly select your gift - remember the price limit is the equivalent of five pounds only - and get it flying (or waddling) through the post as soon as you can.

And when the Paschal Penguin knocks at your door bearing gifts, do post on this thread to say that it has arrived safely.... and again when you open it to share with the rest of us (metaphorically speaking) the goodies encased therein.

Literal sharing is not obligatory. [Smile]

Parcel posted this morning.

Sorry only just got near this today. I appear to me messageless. Can you send again?
Thanks.

A heavily laden penguin is currently swimming across the Pond.

And another will be doing the same in the opposite direction after 0930 EST this morning (That's when the postal agency, located in a Mall store, opens.

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

A penguin is paddling westward as I type (well I hope it is).

A parcel has arrived from far-off lands, but I'll have to hide it until Easter Day. [Eek!]

My Paschal package has been posted and is pursuing its path across the Pond.

A penguin has waddled up to my door with an exciting parcel from Canada. I shall keep it for Easter Day, but thank you, dear penguin, for the delightful anticipation.

Penguinish parcel posted playfully!

I got home to find a penguin waiting by the door with a parcel for me. The parcel is now on the table trying to stay wrapped up till the 27th. (This may be tricky, it feels a bit like a book...)

The penguin is twiddling its flippers, waiting for me to be able to get my parcel together, wrapped, and stamped.

A very exciting parcel parcel has just arrived from the U.S.A.! Thank you very much. [Smile]

I entrusted my parcel to the French penguins yesterday. Let's hope they don't decide to go on strike in the near future.
[Razz]

I'm not going to be here for several days, then I will be for one day and then I won't be for another few days. So I may not have time to post in the short window in which I am here IF the penguin has visited our home. So don't worry, Sendee, if I don't acknowledge receipt of your parcel until after Easter Monday.

Parcel entrusted to the post penguins!

Penguin post winging its way north.

Penguin waddling off in good time. And thanks for the parcel received. Yummy!

I keep meaning to post this, but keep getting caught up in other drama..,

A big squishy package arrived for me a few days ago. I was having a really crap day, so I decided, screw waiting for Easter and I tore it open. And may I just say OH MY GOD, they just do not do toffee here the way you all do in England. Mmmmmmmm. Thank you so much, London Penguin Pal! (And thank you for the cute card, too.)

I have all the elements of my own parcel, but they require some assembly. Give me a couple days, and I should be sending it along soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

I have all the elements of my own parcel, but they require some assembly. Give me a couple days, and I should be sending it along soon.

Same here [Big Grin]

With a week to go before Easter Day, I thought I'd do a quick update. By all accounts, eleven parcels are now in the tender flippers of the penguin who is waddling crazily back and forth across the continents to deliver.

That leaves another sixteen in the preparatory stages [Smile]

Remember to keep us updated of progress and also to let me know by PM if there are any problems which might cause a delay in the sending. Let's keep that penguin busy!

Well done for those whose parcels have arrived and who have had the amazing willpower not to open them yet. I am well impressed.

Hospitalised, far from home.... I can ask my neighbours if things come.... But realistically may not know for sure until the week after Easter, as to what has arrived.

Rowen [Votive]

Hope you are feeling better soon. Is this a long job? Hospitals in the UK tend to kick us out as soon as possible.

The Penguin waddle-eth forth in a southerly direction [Yipee]

Penguin captured and charged as requested...released to a foreign land....

Penguin from across the pond arrived today.

The parcel will remain unopened until Sunday.

Posted! Flap, flap, flap, little penguin [Angel]

Penguin parcel is on the way [Smile]

A black and white bird arrived this morning with a parcel in it's beak. I'll try and keep my mitts of it until Easter.

Sadly, I've been nowhere near as organised, but the necessary elements are together now and I'm booking a slot with the postal penguin for first thing tomorrow.

The penguin slid down our drive on her tummy this morning with a parcel from forn parts in her beak!

Many thanks (I haven't opened it yet!)

[Yipee]

p...p...p...posted.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Showing your age a bit there, NEQ. [Two face]

eta: if I'm honest, that advert had snuck into my mind as I was reading this thread. [Big Grin]

[ 24. March 2016, 12:49: Message edited by: Piglet ]

[Big Grin]

One of the pleasures of last Sunday's sermon was the references to pop music, and realising that I was too young to know what the preacher was talking about.

NEQ, young by Presbyterian standards.

My neighbour greeted Darllenwr with a box from Hotel Chocolat which turned out to be a pack of strawberry and cream egglets from my Paschal Penguin. I look forward to enjoying them!

It is posted, first class, and will hopefully get there for Saturday.

The Paschal Penguin has delivered at my house - lots of chocklit, plus a sweet egg cosy (containing a chocklit egg) with an expression reminiscent of "Chicken Run"!
And a sweet little pottery Easter Bunny!

Thank you Paschal Penguin!

My apologies for what will be a late arrival, but the penguin has finally been deployed in a westerly direction.

When I got home tonight, there was a package in my mailbox with a picture of a penguin on it [Smile] Thank you PP, I'm going to open it on Sunday!

There were black and white feathers around the mailbox today, and an envelope from foreign parts inside. I have no idea how the penguin got it in there.

I will wait to open it, just to build the anticipation.

Finally got my crafty item finished, and the Penguin Parcel is now in migration. Hope my sendee finds it worth the wait!

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Arrived home to a comically pregnant looking doormat - yes, the Penguin has been, and will be dispatched later today with goodies outward bound (just scraping in before Easter Day...)

AG

Posted by Hail Mary (# 18531) on :

This is what I get for not having logged on for I don't know how long. But next year, watch out (raises fist to sky like Scarlett O'Hara). I have a posse of homemade fuzzy bunnies in wait.

A pair of penguins paddled away this afternoon.

Apologies to Sandemaniac's and my penguinees for the slight delay [Hot and Hormonal] , but the penguins should get to you before Pentecost!

[edit as even with preview I typoed...]

[ 26. March 2016, 17:43: Message edited by: Celtic Knotweed ]

Happy Easter!
Thank you for my yummy Santa Fe goodies, I've never tried chillie in chocolate before, I'm converted [Smile] [Angel]

Posted by Baker (# 18458) on :

I'm relatively new to the Ship, having arrived to participate in the Death Pool. But on another board we do have a Secret Santa, and I like the idea of the Penguin. I'll try to keep an eye out for it next year, but if someone remembers and gives me a heads up that would be great. I'm in the US, in Kansas.

Thank you very much PP - for four very posh mini Easter eggs, a cute little coin purse which I shall take on my holidays, a pack of mints (how did you know I'm a mint-a-holic?, a mini shower gel, a fridge magnet and a beautifully hand drawn post card of a black Lab!

[Yipee]

I just had Easter egg chocolate pizza for lunch courtesy of a certain bird. Many thanks, Paschal Penguin. [Big Grin]

I love my peace turtle! [Yipee]

I have received from a Canadian penguin of exquisite taste. I am delighted with my posh maple leaf choccies (of which there are four left), and my euroscrubby (which shall be put to work on the garage door and the garden gates, which are green but should not be).

And I have a peace turtle! [Yipee]

I did not even know I needed a peace turtle until I got one, and now am wondering how I ever existed without one.

Thank you, Canadian Penguin. You are an Emperor among Birds.

Ahank you, 'Murcan penguin, for the cute tea towel with musical bunnies [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
I love my peace turtle! [Yipee]

I have received from a Canadian penguin of exquisite taste. I am delighted with my posh maple leaf choccies (of which there are four left), and my euroscrubby (which shall be put to work on the garage door and the garden gates, which are green but should not be).

And I have a peace turtle! [Yipee]

I did not even know I needed a peace turtle until I got one, and now am wondering how I ever existed without one.

Thank you, Canadian Penguin. You are an Emperor among Birds.

(After looking up peace turtle) sweet!

Oh my, WRAPPED (in season-appropriate printed paper that will be photographed for the computer's wallpaper)!

And inside were

Motherboard's present didn't arrive before Easter, so I shared my cold with her instead. That means I get all the Easter Bugs to myself.

Edited - I FORGOT the Tea Towel. Motherboard made off with it, to press it, charmed by the print in spite of the cold that kept her in bed this morning.

Thank you, British P.P.

[ 28. March 2016, 14:23: Message edited by: JB ]

Just found the parcel when I got in today. Brilliantly elegant china coaster with blue celtic type pattern and some extremely welcome chocolates one of which is in the form of a remarkably fetching sheep. Many thanks Pascal Penguin!!

The penguin has landed! I have a small penguin, some very posh sea salt and caramel chocolate eggs, and a bar of chocolate from the Museum of Science, which I am going to try to save to share with my favourite scientist.

Thank you!

One slightly late report of opened penguin package. It was books [Yipee] .

Two detective stories, by authors I haven't tried yet. Had a quick dip into one and it looks very promising, with an unusual telegram, a revolver in a taxi, and chaos being caused by a butterfly net, all in the first few pages! Many thanks, o penguin.

My apologies, especially to my PP, for not reporting back since my parcel arrived - I have been unexpectedly and unavoidably out of range of the interwebs!

Thank you so much PP for my parcel - some yummy Hazelnut and Sea Salt chocolate, sweet little soap, and a Lewis Chessman pencil top, atop a pencil [Smile] Thank you also for the card and good wishes. All much appreciated and enjoyed. [Yipee]
A

A penguin called some weeks ago, seems to have made himself at home, instead of taking a package, said penguin will be booted out soon, with said package!

A very wet-footed penguin hopped through the snow to drop off a box from the UK. Lemon-ginger-pepper dark chocolate, plain dark chocolate, a GeoBar and a bag of apricot kernels, dropped into my lap. (After I carefully removed the popcorn bullets) Nibbled at and put away until Next Week when I return from my little trip across the snowy wasteland.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

You haven't packed any as emergency rations in the snowy wasteland? That all sounds very yummy.

I'm kind of concerned. I sent my package out two weeks ago, and it seems it hasn't landed. [Frown]

Home from being away.
A dear little penguin had left a nest at my house.... So sweet and yummy!
Thank you

Penguin has finally left the building....

My tummy is full of American chocolate (the good kind!) and my face is full of smiles at the most amazing gift imaginable. Dear wonderful paschal penguin person, what care and love has gone into my beautifully crafted gifts. I can't quite stop smiling [Smile] A hand-painted picture of a penguin and a set of prayer beads inscribed with the names of the hosts and admins of the Ship (including a certain Smudgie, which made me smile even more, and our dear friend Erin)

I am thoroughly blessed by your love and generosity. Thank you.

x

I sent off my contribution before Easter, but there seems to be no note of its arrival. Was the penguin using satnav? I'd hate to think of it going round in circles in a ploughed field.

The penguin was discovered having a breather in our postbox on Saturday. Thank you for some delicious sounding chocklit and a white chocklit mouse too. Resistance is futile. (I've hidden one bar from Mr D. Just because.)

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Mea culpa. I received my package but forgot to leave my thanks here. The coloring journal and celtic design coaster are lovely. The journal is wonderful for a thanks journal.

Double mea culpa. I finally sent my pressie so I hope the recipient will forgive me and enjoy a belated treat.

My paschal package arrived today! A beautiful collection of See's chocolates (delicious and hard to find in the Midwest). Of course I had to dive right in.

Thank you, Paschal Penguin!

See's is The Best. I may have to pick up some to commune with you.

© Ship of Fools 2016