Thread: RIP Third Way magazine Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029857

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

This morning I got a letter from their publisher, telling me April 2016 will be the last issue. I've subscribed for a long time - it's rather sad. I used to look forward to Mike Ridell's column, and before him John Smith. I don't know where one will find those kind of voices these days, in print or on-line.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

The cost of paper and postage, combined with the competition from on-line publications, has mostly doomed the print magazine.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

The same thing has happened to the Weekly Telegraph, the expat "digest" of the Daily and Sunday Telegraph. D's mum has been buying us a subscription to it for Christmas ever since we moved here, and although we can read it online, it was always nice to get an actual, proper newspaper (with proper crosswords!).

Sadly, next week's will be the last edition; they're offering a special deal on "tablets" and subscriptions to the online version, but it Wouldn't Be The Same. [Waterworks]

I understand that The Independent is going fully digital too.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

Mrs. C subscribing is a death knell for print magazines. A couple of years ago, she found a magazine she liked, and subscribed. Three months later, they announce that they're closing down, so which of their other magazines would she like to finish out her subscription? None of the other offerings were nearly as good as the discontinued one, but she picked something of partial interest. That lasted four months before it was subsumed into another magazine which was even less relevant to her, and so her subscription was transferred again.

IIRC, at about the time her sub ran out, the third magazine was going online-only.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

I only ever saw it if a friend passed it on to me but I enjoyed its take on things.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

I had no idea that Third Way was still going. I was a subscriber back in the 1980's and I think its the only publication that ever published one of my letters (for anyone that actually follows the link to read my 20 something ramblings, please note that they included a typo in my first sentence - child bearing should read child rearing!)

[ 17. February 2016, 14:51: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I have been hearing these rumours for a while, and it is very sad. I used to subscribe and read it every month, but I gave up when I found I didn't have the time to read them. At Greenbelt, I would pick up a copy, and enjoy reading it, but it would often take me 6 months.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
I had no idea that Third Way was still going. I was a subscriber back in the 1980's and I think its the only publication that ever published one of my letters (for anyone that actually follows the link to read my 20 something ramblings, please note that they included a typo in my first sentence - child bearing should read child rearing!)

I was less than enthusiastic when looking at the link and seeing that they supported Trevor Cooling and his Stapleton Foundation that seems to support evangelicals subverting a state school system and turning back the clock on RE

[ 17. February 2016, 17:24: Message edited by: leo ]

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

It was a 1998 edition, back in the days when I had time to read it and had a subscription, that brought me to the Ship.

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

That is a shame, it was the one magazine that we used to sell in the shop that I read cover to cover.

Of course many Shipmates have worked for them and written articles in the past!

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

We have a subscription and I received the letter last week. I should be due a small refund due to me.

© Ship of Fools 2016