Thread: Retirement Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029864

Posted by Chamois (# 16204) on :

I will retire from work at the end of this month. In a lot of ways this is definitely a Good Thing because for the last year or so I've been finding my job extremely draining and it hasn't left me any energy for anything else.

However, as the time approaches I've started to feel a bit anxious. What am I going to do with myself all day? Will my brain turn to mush? Will I become an obese couch-potato? Should I sign myself up for a course or some voluntary work or just hang loose?

How are other shipmates planning for or dealing with this big life change?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Six years in...

I found it took about a year to recalibrate, and try to discover what and who you were before The Job took over. I would not rush straight into an any very extensive programme of structured activities - browse the possibilities (the local authority here offers quite a range, often very cheaply) - and maybe sample some you might not thought of as your interests. I find about 2 classes/groups a week suits me.

I don't think my brain is any mushier than it was.

Posted by Nicodemia (# 4756) on :

25 years in.......

Don't rush things, you could find yourself committing to something you wish later I didn't want!

Not sure if you are in the UK or not, but if you are, you could investigate the U3A - a nationwide organisation for over 55's, with branches in most places, who have Groups doing and studying all sorts of things, many of which you probably have never thought of or even heard of!! Generally they have monthly meetings, with a speaker, which would give you an idea of the clientele there, and find out if there are any groups which might interest you.

Otherwise, keep physically active - cycling is great if you can do it - and try crosswords, they keep your brain from mushiness!

Good luck!

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

I set three goals for myself: (1) become fluent in Spanish; (2) scrape the rust off my piano technique; (3) volunteer for the Red Cross and serve soup to firemen.

(1) I enrolled at a local community college and took all the Spanish courses they offered. I know much more now but am far from fluent. Haven't decided where to turn next -- the local university is too expensive, and all the private language schools seem to be a long drive away on the other side of town.

(2) Took private piano lessons for a while, which I really don't think helped. So enrolled in a piano course at the same community college, which I'm enjoying immensely.

(3) Haven't begin to fulfill this one yet.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Depends what kind of person you are. I find I need a bit of structure so after the first few days of retirement I'd want something to do with my time. I suggest having a couple of activities planned per week in the first instance and see how you get on - Firenze sounds to have the right balance. It gives you a focal point and a reason to get out of the house.

Have something planned, but not too much. Social contact will be important, being at home all day every day on your own isn't healthy for anyone.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I last went to work in August 1997, aged 48, and retired on the grounds of ill health at the end of November the same year so I have now been retired a few years.

When the Dr told me he was putting me forward for retirement I went back to town and walked around in a daze - I desperately wanted to retire and get away from a highly toxic situation and, at the same time, I desperately didn't want to retire as I felt I was on the scrapheap before I was 50.

I could give you my life story from then on but, although it is great to have lived it, I'm sure it would bore anybody reading it absolutely rigid! The initial period after my retirement date [and my relocation to India] was punctuated with the occasional nightmare about getting a phone call from our HR section saying there had been a terrible mistake and I had to return to work the next day - my dad who had retired a year early, also on medical grounds several years earlier said that he had the same as have many other friends so don't be surprised by strange dreams but in my case they faded over a few months and since then there has hardly been a moment to get bored. My days are full BUT the big difference is that they are filled with positive things, with things I want to do. No more visits from my boss with a little Five Minute Job that she wondered if I could fit in an already schedule and that often took days or more; no more meetings or meetings about meetings!

I read, I write, I walk, I see friends - I eat and I have the odd nap. It's great.

...and I no longer have the commute through the city centre, under the river via the tunnel and then back again at night!

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Nearly 13 years on -I took medical leave after a long fight with cancer. For the first nine months, I laid low, recuperating, and apart from a few visits, did nothing too much. The hardest thing was adjusting who and what I was - I had been active in the Union at work, with Scouts outside. Then I discovered international travel, visited friends and haven't stopped much since. Spent several years reading with junior grades, got back in Scouting. The last year has been hard because of medical issues, but by Spring I should be back on track.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Is there a Senior Center in your area that organizes trips, classes, and other activities? I am going on a Senior Center trip next Wednesday which involves shopping in interesting places--a 'mall' run by Mennonites with various stores selling crafts and craft supplies, as well as food. After that we are going to the Green Valley Book Fair, which is acres (yes, literally) of remaindered books. I always come up with some good finds for myself and to give as gifts.

I just finished a Shakespeare class at the Center which was taught by a retired professor who had taught Shakespeare for many years. Senior citizens have a different perspective than younger people, especially college students. The discussions were very interesting.

Maybe neither of these activities sound appealing to you. I am just pointing out the kind of opportunities that may be available.

Moo

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I began puppy walking for Guide Dogs as soon as I retired. It's the best thing ever - challenging and fun, it gets you out at least twice a day. On many occasions it very much challenges the brain cells solving all sorts of problems. (The manual with comes with the pup is extensive and all sorts of training is done before they go to 'big school')

Here is a link in case you are in the UK and interested [Smile]

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I can't afford to retire, (but really enjoy my job) so can only post from observation and anecdotal evidence, both of which tell me that most retired people wonder how they ever found the time to go to work!

Posted by Doone (# 18470) on :

I retired from a very busy people-orientated work environment (Further Education College) 6 years ago. I was very aware that, because of my personality, I would find it easy to stagnate and become very introverted, so decided a basic structure to my week was needed. I love history, so decided to do a part time foundation degree in history, archaeology and heritage. Through this I also started volunteering at a small local museum. Added to this, I have time to see friends and family more often, to take holidays out of peak time and to have more involvement in my church. One of the most positive things about retirement was that I promised myself that I would not take on anything that I knew I would not enjoy or continue with anything I had got bored with - very liberating.
I am now a Primary school governor and go in to help out for a couple of hours once a week, I do a linedancing class, gentle yoga, a book club and have taken up sewing.
I feel so privileged to have the time and space to pretty much do what I want, when I want and at the pace I want.
Enjoy!

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

My plan was retire 5 years ago. Have the finances to do so, but didn't and now realize I probably won't for a while if ever. My wife and I review ongoing, but neither of us have to ever, and if life has a purpose with work, it seems the best.

A significant factor is our children are living the extended adolescence of the millenial generation. I would drop all work to provide care for grandchildren (I love children), but there are no signs of any of that. 35 is the new 24.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

One of the most important things, I believe, is to keep physically fit, and keeping mentally fit follows, starting right now. If you are 60-65, then you have to plan on keeping the body in good working order for at least thirty more years; more if you are retiring early. Having a thorough physical check-up now is a good idea, to set a benchmark.

You may also need to be able to say "No!" to people who think you now have plenty of time on your hands, otherwise you'll never get to do the things you need/want to do before it really is time to slow down.

This advice offered without guarantee, and wishing I had followed it sooner...

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Paul Tournier has much sound sense in his 'Learn to grow old'.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Having retired last autumn I am still getting used to it. I enjoy not going to work, especially as it's in a state of turmoil due to spending cuts; one reason why I left.
I like to keep busy so I've joined the Red Hat organisation through which I've joined a book group and we go to quiz nights regularly. I've gone back to Pilates classes which I'd previously dropped. I'm researching my family history and am currently doing a genealogy course through Futurelearn , free online courses.
I'm going into London regularly, with the help of a senior railcard, and now have time to meet up with friends. I also go to the cinema much more, sometimes going to the wonderfully cheap Silver Cinema showings. Oh, and I'm enjoying the lie-ins!
Basically, you can do what you want, when you want.

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

Much excellent advice already posted, with which I heartily agree, especially finding a structure to the day; keeping fit & healthy; having the time to do things you enjoy; volunteering for a cause/charity of your choice; making sure you say 'no...' to people.

It's a wonderful stage of life, one of the best things being no daily commuting. Oh the bliss! And if you're in the UK, lovely things like senior railcards, freedom passes, and concessions at exhibitions and the like.

It's what you make of it. Some people cannot cope because w*rk is their whole life, and they don't know what to do with the time. Me - I thoroughly enjoy it [Big Grin]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
... most retired people wonder how they ever found the time to go to work!

My father (who retired in 1986 aged 61) wondered that at first. He and Mum were regular church attenders (he was an elder), both were involved in the Camera Club and in various local choirs, and he played the trombone* in the town band and orchestra. They travelled all over Europe in a Dormobile, which they loved, and had a few other "big" trips (Canada, cruises on the Nile and the Danube).

* with rather more enthusiasm than skill [Big Grin]

Yes - seeing family, friends, babysitting the grandchildren, going off to the ballet, theatre, concerts or opera (which are more affordable with senior prices), going to art exhibitions, getting a bus pass and getting around more, taking courses with the U3A, joining the local Twinning Association, joining the local pensioners' group and going on excursions with them (including to France), taking holidays, joining the WI, spending time developing hobbies, working on carpentry, doing line dancing, setting up a jazz club, gardening, having steam train and railway heritage days out, researching family history...

That covers two friends and a relative since they retired.

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

It does depend to some extent on how much you enjoyed the job. I used to enjoy mine but it went seriously downhill over its last few years and I was very glad and relieved to go.

Retirement is marvellous (assuming tolerable health and no serious money worries). Basic rules as in previous posts are: keep as active, physically and mentally, as you can; have a clear idea of what your goals are, but don't get stressed if you find you can't achieve them; until you have a clear idea of just what you want to do, don't volunteer for anything (and especially don't let anybody else volunteer you for their pet projects, make sure it's you who are in control).

There probably won't be a problem in filling your time; more likely, a problem in finding enough time for everything you want to do.

Thanks, everyone! A lot of good ideas to think about there.

Best wishes for your continued enjoyment of your own retirement.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I can't see it happening that I ever retire - I can't afford to. I just have to hope that I'll be able to keep playing for as long as possible and adjust the living standard ever downwards as fewer people want an older and older codger working for them.

Motto: keep on doing the lottery.

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

I'm winding down to retirement. At present I do two days a week paid work and half a day volunteering in a simialr role. I also do a class one morning a week.
In theorry my husband doesn't retire for another eight years, but he is seriously considering taking early retirement quite soon.
At present we are thinking about selling up and moving somewhere cheaper after we retire as we aren't sure that we can afford to live in this area on our pensions.
I think making sure you have a variety of things to do is important, I'm finding it all too easy to slob around in my dressing gown when I don't have an aim for the day.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
At present we are thinking about selling up and moving somewhere cheaper after we retire as we aren't sure that we can afford to live in this area on our pensions.

Excellent idea. Be sure to choose a place with a varied but temperate climate. You don't want to have to deal with ice and snow in the winter, but you likewise don't want a climate that never varies and will quickly grow boring.

Posted by BabyWombat (# 18552) on :

I have retired twice in the past 4 years: first from church leadership, then from my day job. I had been in the same parish for 30 years, almost always in some leadership position, and then as ordained self-supporting priest for the last 10. I was worn out, very tired from the bi-vocational life, and fed up with the cranky mindset blossoming there. That retirement brought relief and renewed energy….. but also a great sense of loss. My bishop (wisely) insisted I not attend there for at least a year. So there was a real loss of community, and the task of church shopping – not easy in a rural area. Of course, no other place was satisfying, and I followed my bishop’s suggestion of just not attending. Long Sunday morning walks in the hills with my spouse were suddenly lovely.

Two years later I retired from the day job. That was much harder. My chief challenge was finding a new pattern for my days. After living adult life tied to the rhythm of the 9 to 5 Mon to Fri (well, worked in health care, actually 7 to 3), the days and weeks loomed long and large. Oh I had ideas! – take a course, re-read some favorite authors, explore authors new to me, schedule household chores. But with so many hours to fill, I found myself delaying doing anything, and getting bored. Mercifully my spouse had retired three years earlier, and had established a satisfying pattern of doing and non-doing. That anchored me somewhat, and allowed me to experiment with what my pattern might be. It took me 16 months or more for that pattern to develop.

So, be gentle with yourself! It will be different. It will be boring. You will perhaps question many things you once found important or fulfilling, but be open to gentle exploration and discovery. Stay connected with friends (the old work chums will fade away,) Let the Spirit guide you, but don’t force anything. In many ways you are learning a new way of walking, so don’t be frightened of the odd stumble here or there. You may find that laughing at yourself and expectations you may have marvelously helpful!

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
... we are thinking about selling up and moving somewhere cheaper after we retire ...

I imagine it would be much harder to integrate into a new place without the "connections" that working bring with it.

When Dad was approaching retirement, he and Mum talked vaguely about moving to places where they'd enjoyed holidays (Yorkshire, the Scottish borders), but in the end their connections in Orkney* kept them there. I doubt if they'd have become as involved in things like choirs and orchestras in a new place, and they might have just ended up stagnating.

Obviously YMMV, and I can completely understand you from a fiscal point of view.

* possibly not least the fact that when Dad retired I was still living at home, and my grandmother (then in her mid-80s) was also living with them.

[ 21. March 2016, 13:31: Message edited by: Piglet ]

My parents moved to the Yorkshire Dales after retirement and had far more social life there than they ever had in Knutsford - but then they weren't encumbered with kids at home or elderly parents, so that must have made a difference - and we all had somewhere gorgeous to go to for the odd weekend.

I think it was important that they moved to a small-ish town - they had looked at a property in Kendal but it was in the middle of a big estate and a bit impersonal but they moved to a house in a small, fairly modern development on the edge of a small market town which made for a far better atmosphere for them. It was a great place for them both to live out the rest of their lives.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

I'm pretty much set on working part-time for a while. If things go really well I could draw my pension and continue to work part-time where I do now so the hit on income is minimal.

I certainly don't intend to quit work altogether at 60 (which I am now poking with a short stick) so it's a matter of finding a mixture of keeping myself amused, doing more round the house and volunteering that I need to plan for. One way or another I expect to be busier than ever!

Some good points about re-locating. A friend of mine that I was chatting to about our ideas was full of horror stories about people she knew who ahd re-located either because they had enjoyed holidays in a place (hadn't factored in cold,desereted British seaside towns in winter) or to be near children (who had then moved elsewhere).
Where we have in mind is near family and friends, and is a place with excellent transport links that appears to have quite a lot going on.
Whether it will actually happen is still in the air....

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Growing up in the deepest darkest West Country I have lots of horror stories of people who retired to the tiny villages. Fine when they were mobile, really not funny when they were reliant on public transport services that run one or two buses a week.

(I am serious, I grew up in a village that had three buses a week: the bus that ran to the Monday market and back and the bus that ran to the Wednesday and Saturday market in a different direction. These buses left the village at around 10am/10:30am and returned around 2:30pm, fitting neatly between the school run.)

It certainly can be a success; I've just remembered about a couple who took early retirement (he'd been a college lecturer, she a teacher) solely on the strength of a holiday enjoyed in Orkney.

They bought two houses* - an old manse out in the country, which they did up, and a little flat in Kirkwall so that they'd never be stuck away from home if the weather turned nasty. They've joined all sorts of local things, and seem to be throwing themselves into the community and thoroughly enjoying themselves. AFAIK they had no friends or family there, so it can be done.

* They were moving from the south of England, so the property price-gap would have afforded them plenty of leeway.

The moving question is a difficult one, and my Dear Wife and I will probably be arguing over it for years to come. I know where I think I would like to be, and I also know it probably won't work.

One of my friends retired a couple of years ago, selling his house in what has become an upscale Toronto suburb for lots of cash, and is now not very far from Piglet, and living like a rajah. The social life sounds exhausting, but they found him a girlfriend (he's widowed) to share it and I don't think he's ever had so much fun in his life. The moral must be that advice isn't much use - it's different for everyone. Except, don't isolate yourself unless truly called to be a hermit.

Yes, the villages round here look idyllic but in winter they're a nightmare, with deep snows on steep roads and hardly any or no shops at all. You'd need a 4x4 to get around most of them in the winter snow and ice.

If retiring on your own instead of as part of a couple you need to think whether you'd want to live somewhere that means you're car-dependent for just about everything. There will be days when you're unwell, and don't want to have to drive, or your car might be out of action, and the older you get the less mobile people can become. Ease of accessing medical facilities is also a thing to consider. My priority has always been to have some essentials (shops etc) within walking distance.

Mobile phone reception is another thing, you might be surprised that in some parts of some towns coverage can actually be non-existent or reception almost impossible in the vicinity.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

I had no trouble getting used to retirement-- I closed my little cubicle on a Friday at 4.15, not bothering to say farewell to my manager, handed in my pass to the commissionaires, who shook my hand all round, and walked out the door, to take the 97 southbound to Ottawa aerodrome, and from there to Bilbao to schlep along the Camino del Norte.

Since then, I have been very busy with running a voluntary organization-- about 20 hours a week, from which I have just stepped down, and an exhibition of my photography opens this Friday.

I am up every morning at 6.30, and after breakfast & The Globe head off on a 4km stroll to have my morning cortado. About 4 times a week, I swim my thousand metres, but have slacked off this winter. I decided to stay in Ottawa as I couldn't afford to move to the Gulf Islands and as I need to be relatively at hand to assist my generally healthy and active but still 87-year-old mother. Our Lady Joy of All Who Procrastinate is about 20 minutes away on foot, but I have yet to get to a service on time.

Most of my friends remain here, and coffee or cocoa feature on my agenda two or three times a week (with an occasional visit to a friend who is under house arrest for the next three years--he cannot go out to get croissants so I bring them). I have a good new GP (who is blonde, but seems bright) and Ottawa is well-equipped with whatever various other specialists I might require.

My other weaknesses of contemporary dance and cool jazz are not always satisfiable here that easily but Montréal is but two hours away on the train, so gets a regular visit monthly to catch up on one gig or the other.

While I still chew through a few books a week, I make a point of keeping up with my French (at least one hour of radio/TV a day) and am taking more Spanish courses in an attempt to keep my brain from turning into porridge. Others will judge if there has been any success with this.

I had hoped to pick up contracting work, but that does not seem to have happened-- although I spend time writing up projects and reports without pay. And, of course, I plan for yet another Camino next September.... having been to more funerals of late than other ceremonies, I have taken the approach of not postponing things.

That's a good point about the contracting work. If you are serious about it, you have to get into it right away, or you can get stale amazingly quickly, depending on your field, of course, even if you keep up with the literature (says he who knows). Maintaining the professional network is important if you are contracting or consulting, and is not so easy. Lately, I have let that go, and no longer miss it at all. I have more important things to do.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
That's a good point about the contracting work. If you are serious about it, you have to get into it right away, or you can get stale amazingly quickly, depending on your field, of course, even if you keep up with the literature (says he who knows). Maintaining the professional network is important if you are contracting or consulting, and is not so easy. Lately, I have let that go, and no longer miss it at all. I have more important things to do.

This tricky for us former bureaucrats, as we have a year of enforced purity before we can do work with anyone with whom we had a working relationship.

I couldn't find it earlier, upthread, but these thoughts on retirement are a combination of spiritual direction and friendly advice.

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
I have a good new GP (who is blonde, but seems bright)

Please, AtheA, just because a guy is blonde is no reason to be surprised because he has a brain cell or two!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I can certainly recommend the U3A. There is scope to run your own small group(s) as well, if your own interest is not already catered for. It's definitely a self-help organisation, with a large number of active retired people, who want to keep on learning.

We also run the Church Stewards programme, so visitors to the church can receive a welcome. Mr. C., who is also involved in a lot of musical activities, volunteers one day a week for the National Trust, which gives a similar welcome to visitors.

With so many possibilities for involvement, there is absolutely no need for anyone to sit around feeling sorry for themselves!

Hear, hear!

The problem is fitting it all in and still leaving time for self!

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
I had no trouble getting used to retirement-- I closed my little cubicle on a Friday at 4.15, not bothering to say farewell to my manager, handed in my pass to the commissionaires, who shook my hand all round, and walked out the door, to take the 97 southbound to Ottawa aerodrome, and from there to Bilbao to schlep along the Camino del Norte.

I am green with envy. Maybe even puce.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

I'm green with envy at all those on this thread who either already are, or will shortly be, retired. I've still got another 30-odd years of wage slavery ahead of me yet..... [Frown]

Posted by Barnabas Aus (# 15869) on :

I am almost five years retired. Prior to that I was sent on stress leave by my GP at a day's notice, and used accumulated sick leave until my retirement date. It took me about three months to come to terms with changed routines, including the early morning phone calls from staff who were unwell and needed me to find casual replacements.

I've always been deeply involved in community organisations, so much of the work which was previously done in the evenings has now moved to a more civilised hour. However, I am now beginning to relinquish some of those positions in favour of younger candidates, with the aim of being around to act as a mentor. I did this in the last years before I finished work, and thus had staff able to step up when I departed suddenly. I want to see the next generation of community leaders ready to undertake the role.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I'm green with envy at all those on this thread who either already are, or will shortly be, retired. I've still got another 30-odd years of wage slavery ahead of me yet..... [Frown]

And those of us who are retired are envious of your youth.
[Razz]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Don't be Pigwidgeon.

In the UK there is no retirement age, it used to be a default of 65. The state pension age (pdf) is something else entirely. There are already plans in place shifting the age when it can be claimed to 68 with predictions of future changes to a pension age of 75 and more.

Those of us still with some years of employment to go are looking at a steadily retreating retirement. Those professionals who retired early at 55 on a full pension are a disappearing breed. (Private pensions are different, but that presumes full employment and higher earnings, not time out for children.)

[ 31. March 2016, 06:35: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

When I first started work it was possible to retire at 60 and claim your state pension. Then they put the age limit up to 65. Now I’m looking at 67. But compared to the younger generation currently entering the workforce I’m quite lucky as they will probably have to go on until they’re over 70, maybe 75 or more. It would also mean that younger people might have to wait longer for jobs or promotions to become available as more people would be staying in the workforce for longer.

Going at 70+ gives nobody much of a crack at retirement, and by then health problems may already be manifesting themselves in employees who are significantly older than the average.

With the over-70s, that could even include dementia, which in its early stages could be rather a challenge for employers who wouldn’t normally be trained to recognize the signs, as well as for colleagues around them.

I was in social work and worked for a few years with the Elderly Mentally Infirm and just naturally assumed that those around me, particularly managers, were all demented.

I wasn't far wrong!

The way things are going, according to a FB meme I saw recently, for most of us the state pension will kick in 5 years after we die.

[Help]

I continue to struggle to stay retired! I have been 'head hunted' by the NHS to do some ADHD coaching. I confess to rather looking forward to it. I've said I will only consider it if puppy can come too (puppies can come along to many work places so long as the place is suitable for the pup)

I have only promised 2 hours a week 'tho.

[Smile]

Retirement age should still be an individual decision, based on health and difficulty of job in relation to age and brain / physical degeneration. But most of us, who have retired early, know that there will be a financial penalty - but have decided to live simply, in retirement, without expectation of expensive holidays, cars, new clothes, etc.

It is quite a skill to live on not very much - keeping things going that were purchased before retirement, and keeping new costs to the absolute minimum - and that challenge can be turned into a fulfilling way to occupy one's life. But don't be envious if you also want to have a good standard of living as well. It won't happen.

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

I'm hoping for basic survival; never mind comfort!

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

My advice get a dog, it forces you to get out for a walk each day, and is a great way of making new friends young and old. I now have friends who are waiting for the school bus each morning and they are teaching me all kinds of new things such as why one kind of bike is so much better then the rest, and what TV shows I should be watching. I now have coffee with several other dog walkers. Invite friends over for for a visit on a regular basis. I have a standing gin visit with our neighbors twice a month. Volunteer where you feel useful and that you enjoy the work. if it is not fun for you do something else. I helped for a while with a feeding program, I enjoyed our guests but those that ran the program were filled with drama. I am to old to want to listen to drama at this stage in life and I moved on to help run the free library at the Senior Center. Make goals. I start each birthday by saying what new thing that I want to accomplish in the coming year. I have taken up painting, acquired and trained a dog, visited a distant city, and learned to play a dulcimer. Finally help others to learn that , "NO," is a complete sentence.

GI, you're on the Quotes thread in The Circus.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Graven Image: I am to old to want to listen to drama at this stage in life
And yet, you are on the Ship [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Make goals. I start each birthday by saying what new thing that I want to accomplish in the coming year. I have taken up painting, acquired and trained a dog, visited a distant city, and learned to play a dulcimer. Finally help others to learn that , "NO," is a complete sentence.

Yes...but... for someone whose working life was full of goal-setting, maybe the only goal in rertirement is to enjioy and savour being instead of doing.

My esteemed father's goal setting consisted of wanting to still be breathing the following morning!

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
My advice get a dog, it forces you to get out for a walk each day, and is a great way of making new friends young and old. I now have friends who are waiting for the school bus each morning and they are teaching me all kinds of new things such as why one kind of bike is so much better then the rest, and what TV shows I should be watching. I now have coffee with several other dog walkers. Invite friends over for for a visit on a regular basis. I have a standing gin visit with our neighbors twice a month. Volunteer where you feel useful and that you enjoy the work. if it is not fun for you do something else. I helped for a while with a feeding program, I enjoyed our guests but those that ran the program were filled with drama. I am to old to want to listen to drama at this stage in life and I moved on to help run the free library at the Senior Center. Make goals. I start each birthday by saying what new thing that I want to accomplish in the coming year. I have taken up painting, acquired and trained a dog, visited a distant city, and learned to play a dulcimer. Finally help others to learn that , "NO," is a complete sentence.

[Overused] [Overused]

quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
I'm hoping for basic survival; never mind comfort!

In that case, you'll do just fine. Much better to expect to live simply and have a few lovely surprises than to live in resentment and eternal disappointment. I can think of people who fit into both these camps and know which are the happiest....

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Much better to expect to live simply and have a few lovely surprises than to live in resentment and eternal disappointment.

Wise words and most definitely the kind of retirement I hope to achieve in four or five years time.

Simplicity is what many of us will have no choice about. To me, the crunch point will be whether I can afford to run a car or not. The current thinking is that it costs £3,500 p.a. to run a car in the UK. Certainly, for that price you can get many, many taxis. And the occasional rail fare.

But I do like the freedom and independence of instant transport outside the door.

[ 10. April 2016, 11:42: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

Posted by moonlitdoor (# 11707) on :

Does that figure assume you are doing a huge mileage ?

I am not retired, but I spend less than half that on running a car, admittedly always an old one.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

A lot depends on depreciation.

If you buy (say) a 3-year old car for £7k, keep it for 5 years and sell it for £3k, that's £800 p.a. before you've moved an inch.

If you buy a new car for £15k and sell it for £10k after 2 years, that's £2,500 p.a.

(If you have a Maserati, the depreciation may well be negative!)

Of course the old car may cost you more in maintenance and servicing!

And there's also tax and insurance: a little car like mine is in a low insurance group and road tax is only £20. All these costs come in before you've moved an inch.

In my congregation I had an older man who gave up driving and sold his car. He'd only been using to make two short shopping trips per week. He then used the bus, with his free pass. I suggested that he get a taxi as it would be easier: "Oh no", he said, "That would be extravagant". I tried to point out that this would still cost him less than his old car; but old habits die hard and he wouldn't shift his view. (Lack of money wasn't an issue here BTW).

[ 10. April 2016, 12:44: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

LOL, some of my friends just bought a car for £200.

Posted by moonlitdoor (# 11707) on :

I've never had depreciation as such as I've never sold a car, only scrapped them.

I buy one for around £500, and as and when something big goes wrong with it that would require major maintenance, I scrap it and buy another one. Maybe I've been lucky but I've found this to be very cost effective.

Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

quote:
In my congregation I had an older man who gave up driving and sold his car. He'd only been using to make two short shopping trips per week. He then used the bus, with his free pass. I suggested that he get a taxi as it would be easier: "Oh no", he said, "That would be extravagant".
That's a generational thing, isn't it? Try to persuade my elderly mother to take a taxi to get to a hospital appointment - you'd think we'd all be heading straight for Carey Street.

That said, running or not running a car after retirement takes a bit of careful thought. At my last house move 7 years ago I deliberately chose to move to a place with excellent public transport links. After all, if you live long enough you're eventually going to have to stop driving anyway. Didn't want to be stuck is a lovely country village but with no way out once my driving days are done.

quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
running or not running a car after retirement takes a bit of careful thought

I'd love to be free of what I call the burden of car ownership. But where I am now, a car is a necessity. After my father dies, I hope to change residences to a place where I could do without a car.

Posted by Hilda of Whitby (# 7341) on :

I retired at the end of 2014; my DH in September 2015.

In a word, it's great. We have taken our time to adjust to retirement and did not immediately dive into activities like volunteer work that might not have panned out. At this point we have taken on some volunteer activities and we enjoy them a lot.

We set up a loose schedule to help keep us organized. I do think that some sort of structure to one's day is a good idea, but it certainly doesn't have to be a straightjacket. We are careful of our expenditures but allow ourselves a meal or two out every week as a treat.

So far no mental mushiness. We keep busy without feeling frazzled. We have plenty of time to run errands and do household tasks. We're also seeing more of our friends than we ever did while working. We're very grateful that we were able to retire and we are enjoying it immensely.

Posted by Merchant Trader (# 9007) on :

quote:
I will retire from work at the end of this month. In a lot of ways this is definitely a Good Thing because for the last year or so I've been finding my job extremely draining and it hasn't left me any energy for anything else.

However, as the time approaches I've started to feel a bit anxious. What am I going to do with myself all day? Will my brain turn to mush? Will I become an obese couch-potato? Should I sign myself up for a course or some voluntary work or just hang loose?

How are other shipmates planning for or dealing with this big life change?

Posted by Merchant Trader (# 9007) on :

Sorry, long time since I posted.

I just wanted to say I share the same anxeity as Chamois.

80% of friends seem much happier (and healthier) after retirement. Some seem active and I envy them. Others seem very inactive and I fear that will happen to me. Some seem to be doing really exciting things other seem content being in a much lower gear. Will I get bored?

I have put it off for now but even if I hang on in there the choice may be made for me sometime this year.

Still not sure whether I am excited or fearful. probably both.

I

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
running or not running a car after retirement takes a bit of careful thought

I'd love to be free of what I call the burden of car ownership. But where I am now, a car is a necessity. After my father dies, I hope to change residences to a place where I could do without a car.
Have a look at lease cars. Small cars can be leased for very good rates. It takes all uncertainty out of car owning - you pay **so much** a month and that's it - everything is covered, no extra or unexpected costs.

We went down to one car when we retired, but I get first dibs on it as Mr Boogs has a bike [Smile]

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

If you live where they operate, there are ZipCars -- cars that you rent for just a few hours, often one-way. If I move to a community where there are ZipCars I plan never to own my own vehicle again. Between the purchase price, garage, gas, maintenance and insurance, it is a major expense.

Since we gave up our car three years ago we've relied on a mixture of zip cars (very useful for times when you just need a car for an hour or two) and a very reasonably priced local car hire place. It's worked for us. Of course if you don't have either near where you are, or are likely to end up, not so good.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

We went down to one car when we retired, but I get first dibs on it as Mr Boogs has a bike [Smile]

We went down to one car when we retired, but I get first dibs on it as Mr C has a bus pass [Smile]

(pity there are hardly any buses....)

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

It would be rather difficult to take Twiglet with you on a bicycle.
[Big Grin]

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Oh I don't know: see this and this.

Posted by Dennis the Menace (# 11833) on :

I retired in May 2014, just before my 63 birthday. I had no choice as the company I had been working for closed down due to the owners ill health. My prospects of getting another at that age were very poor.Here in Australia you able to collect your superannuation at 60 so I did. I have a small allocated pension from my super and it is enough to get by. When I turn 65 in June I can get the aged pension as allocated pensions are not classed as income. That is, not at this stage, but who knows with our present government!! Financially I am much better now off as I had been working casually for the last 10 years so money was not all that regular.

I have absolutely no regrets. I have joined a garden club, the National Trust and am on the executive committee for both. I volunteer at another church which produces Christmas puddings from July onwards each year as well as playing for a monthly communion service at a nursing home. Have lots of 'coffee and cake mornings as well as lunches with relatives and friends.

However, there are some days when I wish I was still at work! I miss the commaradre.

I missed the camaraderie, but then joined Facebook and found it still there, just on the internet instead. It's great to keep in touch with work colleagues online.

[ 18. April 2016, 20:38: Message edited by: Chorister ]

© Ship of Fools 2016