Thread: Bibliophile evil little worm Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029898

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I don't care about your stupid little arguments. I guess it can be fun in a sickly kind of way, winding up left-wing people by not listening to anything they say and pretending that they are all defenders of the evil things Stalin and Mao did.

You can go a long way like this, and feel very smug about it. I've seen it many times before. It is a thing that a certain type of guys do, safely behind their computers, because they have low self-esteem. I guess doing this makes their tiny pricks grow slightly bigger, I don't even want to know.

You know what? You can go on doing that. By all means, I don't care. I mostly find it boring because I've seen it a thousand times on the internet; there's nothing new about it. But if it gives you that warm feeling down there, don't let me be the one to take that away from you.

But what you don't get to do is to use the suffering of millions of people for your smug little argument. You said twice that what apartheid-era South Africa did in Angola was a good thing.

I live in Mozambique for part of my life, and I visit Angola often. I have many conversations with people who were at both sides of these wars. If you just hear their stories about the suffering that South Africa has caused in these countries, it is beyond imagination.

It maintained unspeakably cruel civil wars. South African backed groups took children, mutilated and then killed their parents in front of their eyes, filled them with drugs, induced them with 'magical' rituals that involved cutting off body parts of other people, and set them off to kill others, provoking retaliations and so the things went on.

Were these wars against communism? Most people didn't even know what they were fighting for. Both sides did terrible things, but these civil wars should never have taken place. They were instigated and maintained by the apartheid government, mostly just because it suited them to sow instability in the countries surrounding them after their white governments were overthrown.

Have you ever been in these countries? Do you speak Portuguese? Do you have a fucking clue what you're talking about?

I often speak with people from both sides. The suffering was unimaginable, and the scars are a long way from having healed yet. Families still mourn their lost members. They still meet their murderers every day on the streets, and have to find a way of living with that. The development of these countries has been set back for many years. Old grudges still dominate politics.

I don't care about your stupid little argument. There will always be stupid little people making stupid little arguments. But this isn't about Mandela, or about the Cubans. What you are doing is to piss on the graves on these people, and is an immense disrespect for the people who live there and who still suffer from this. People whom I know personally, some of them very well.

Don't you dare call what South Africa did in these countries a good thing, you evil piece of slime. Take it back. Apologise.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

There is an existing Bibliophile thread in Hell here.

That one is simply called 'Bibliophile', and I like your title better. So I'm going to lock the old thread and keep this one going.

DT
HH

(Apologies to the Hell Hosts for starting a new thread. I knew that there was a thread against him already in existence, but I felt that my anger warranted a new one. Thank you for closing the other one and maintaining this one, it feels like the best solution.)

Posted by Bibliophile (# 18418) on :

I will repeat here the answer I gave on the other thread

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
No, you don't get to play games like this. South Africa maintained a terrible civil war for no cause at all, just the same stupid "communism is evil and everything is valid against it" that you are spouting here.

If you want to make your stupid little arguments here, I don't care about that. But now you are using the suffering of millions of people just to be smug about it. You said that what South Africa did in Angola was a good thing. Take it back.

It was the Marxists who were maintaining a terrible civil war in Angola. Millions of people suffered. The foreign leader who bears the greatest degree of responsibility for their suffering was Fidel Castro.

Yes I get it:

The Portuguese and the South Africans were good, whatever they did, because they were not communists.

The Cubans were bad whatever they did, because they were communists, because of what they might do.

Even if this twisted version of yours is right (which it isn't, because you don't understand a fuck of what happened there), that doesn't make what South Africa did good.

Even if Cubans are eeeeeeevil communists who were responsible for everything (which is just your stupid little argument and doesn't do justice to what happened there), that doesn't make what South Africa did right.

What South Africa did was wrong. Admit it. And apologise for saying it was right.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bibliophile:
I will repeat here the answer I gave on the other thread

quote:
No, you don't get to play games like this. South Africa maintained a terrible civil war for no cause at all, just the same stupid "communism is evil and everything is valid against it" that you are spouting here.

If you want to make your stupid little arguments here, I don't care about that. But now you are using the suffering of millions of people just to be smug about it. You said that what South Africa did in Angola was a good thing. Take it back.

It was the Marxists who were maintaining a terrible civil war in Angola. Millions of people suffered. The foreign leader who bears the greatest degree of responsibility for their suffering was Fidel Castro.
I wish I could be bothered to work out who was allied to whom through the complex and long running wars of independence in South-West Africa and Angola, but they ran from about 1960 to about 2005, there were at least six separate major groups in varying alliances and a few of them changed from being backed by the Soviet Bloc to being supplied and aided by the United States and South Africa.

It's a whole lot more complex than saying "The Marxists were to blame". Most of the time others carried the can too.

[ 20. August 2015, 23:20: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

Well, in an effort to remedy my ignorance of the conflict, I had a quick read of the Wiki article on the subject.

If it's anywhere near the truth then, SA had its fingerprints all over the conflict, starting way back in 1966, when SWAPO started its independence struggle in Namibia.

Last time I looked, the SA government at that time weren't Marxists. So I'm guessing, like oh so many things you say, you're wrong.

quote:
Yes I get it:

The Portuguese and the South Africans were good, whatever they did, because they were not communists.

The Cubans were bad whatever they did, because they were communists, because of what they might do.

Even if this twisted version of yours is right (which it isn't, because you don't understand a fuck of what happened there), that doesn't make what South Africa did good.

Even if Cubans are eeeeeeevil communists who were responsible for everything (which is just your stupid little argument and doesn't do justice to what happened there), that doesn't make what South Africa did right.

What South Africa did was wrong. Admit it. And apologise for saying it was right.

Right lets go through the timeline shall we.

Firstly in 1961 the legitimate government of Angola was the Portuguese colonial authority. A Marxist rebellion broke out and Cuba, in an act of unprovoked aggression against the Portuguese, gave military support to the rebellion. The Portuguese then did their duty as a government in attempting to put this rebellion down. The South African government (for its own reasons) assisted them in carrying out this duty. How was that doing the wrong thing?

No, I'm not going to play your games and get lost in your twisted accounts of history.

Once again, South Africa financed groups who went into villages, murdered childrens' parents in front of their eyes, filled the children with drugs, induced them in 'magical' rituals that involved cutting off people's body parts and then set them of against other villages.

South Africa did these things. What you say about Cuba's role in the conflict is incorrect, but regardless of what the Cubans did: even if your twisted version of history is the right one, then what South Africa did was still wrong.

You said (three times already) that what South Africa did was good and right. You are someone who supports killing childrens' parents before their eyes. You are some who supports forcing children to mutilate people. You are someone who says that a country who did these things was right. You disrepect the people who suffered from this for your smug little arguments.

You are despicable.

At times like this I am reminded that von Clausewitz said the most dangerous people are the hard-working but stupid ones.

quote:
No, I'm not going to play your games and get lost in your twisted accounts of history.

Once again, South Africa financed groups who went into villages, murdered childrens' parents in front of their eyes, filled the children with drugs, induced them in 'magical' rituals that involved cutting off people's body parts and then set them of against other villages.

South Africa did these things. What you say about Cuba's role in the conflict is incorrect, but regardless of what the Cubans did: even if your twisted version of history is the right one, then what South Africa did was still wrong.

You said (three times already) that what South Africa did was good and right. You are someone who supports killing childrens' parents before their eyes. You are some who supports forcing children to mutilate people. You are someone who says that a country who did these things was right. You disrepect the people who suffered from this for your smug little arguments.

You are despicable.

Can I just clarify here what I am calling good. I am not calling the South African government backing of UNITA and RENAMO a 'good thing'. Both organisations were quite capable of being just as cruel and murderous as the communists they were fighting against. Indeed, as you know, UNITA were ex communists. I think that both wars were the result of communist aggression and violence but that does not make South Africa an innocent party in either case.

What I am calling good is the South African governments support for the Portuguese colonial authorities when they were faced with Marxism rebellion and Cuban aggression.

quote:
Bibliophile: What I am calling good is the South African governments support for the Portuguese colonial authorities when they were faced with Marxism rebellion and Cuban aggression.
That's just stupid.

quote:
quote:
Bibliophile: What I am calling good is the South African governments support for the Portuguese colonial authorities when they were faced with Marxism rebellion and Cuban aggression.
That's just stupid.
Why do you think that?

quote:
Bibliophile: Why do you think that?
No, that's the game I'm not going to play.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

If it's the case that rebellions are always bad and other governments should always side with the government being rebelled against, then...

Syria.

quote:
quote:
Bibliophile: Why do you think that?
No, that's the game I'm not going to play.
You've just described the terrible atrocities that were committed by both sides in the Angola and Mozambique civil wars. Those atrocities that happened in Angola were, as you know, carried out by the warring factions, the MPLA and UNITA.

The Portuguese were fighting against the MPLA and UNITA and for 13 years they successfully prevented these vile people from getting power. How is that not a good thing?

[ 21. August 2015, 00:44: Message edited by: Bibliophile ]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Hmmm, maybe because the Portuguese are the source of modern Angolan problems? Or because the Portuguese, and their western allies, prolonged the conflict as part of their cold war against the USSR?

Posted by romanlion (# 10325) on :

Prolonging the cold war certainly couldn't have been a bad thing.

Last check I had it's been over now for decades.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Hmmm, maybe because the Portuguese are the source of modern Angolan problems? Or because the Portuguese, and their western allies, prolonged the conflict as part of their cold war against the USSR?

The Angolan economy collapsed when the communists took over in 1975 and they've been governing the country for 40 years since. Its a bit rich to blame Portugal for modern Angola's problems.

As for prolonging the war, who was prolonging the war? The Portuguese were aiming to defeat the rebels as quickly as possible. It was governments such as Cuba and the Soviet Union who prolonged the war by supporting the rebellion. Without that support the Portuguese could have defeated the rebels and done so fairly quickly and Angola would have been spared decades of misery.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Prolonging the cold war certainly couldn't have been a bad thing.

Last check I had it's been over now for decades.

What would have been good about continuing it?

Posted by Soror Magna (# 9881) on :

quote:
... Firstly in 1961 the legitimate government of Angola was the Portuguese colonial authority. ...

Legitimate + colonial is an oxymoron.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Someone seriously thinks the South Africans were good during apartheid times? Where's my bastard file and where's my throwing axe?

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Someone seriously thinks the South Africans were good during apartheid times? Where's my bastard file and where's my throwing axe?

Well, the rich white ones were, and who else matters?

quote:
The Angolan economy collapsed when the communists took over in 1975 and they've been governing the country for 40 years since.

The Angolan collapsed because the Portuguese, who were the skilled labour force, fucking left with no one prepared to take over. They fucked the Angolans for years and left.
If you are going to pretend to discuss history, at least read Wikipedia before spouting bullshit.

quote:
quote:
The Angolan economy collapsed when the communists took over in 1975 and they've been governing the country for 40 years since.

The Angolan collapsed because the Portuguese, who were the skilled labour force, fucking left with no one prepared to take over. They fucked the Angolans for years and left.
If you are going to pretend to discuss history, at least read Wikipedia before spouting bullshit.

To describe the Portuguese government as a legitimate regime is far-fetched, as from 1933 it was run by the neo-Nazi Estado Nuevo as a one party state. Antonio Salazar led it until 1968, then Caetano until it fell in 1974. That swiftly led to the abandonment of Portugal's colonies such as Angola and Mozambique.

FWIW the Estado Nuevo included elements of the Communist Party, so no good can have ever come of that.

quote:
quote:

Why would the skilled labour force in Angola leave their established careers with nothing? Could it be that a violent Marxist dictatorship was coming to power, forcing them to become refugees? And you're blaming the economic collapse that followed this refugee crisis on the refugees themselves rather than on the marxist MPLA that created the crisis.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Bibliophile, doesn't it ever occur to you that real-life is rather more messy and nuanced than your proof-text approach to the universe?

[Roll Eyes]

It takes two sides to create and maintain a conflict.

Few wars in history have ever been a straight good guys in white hats versus bad guys in black hats issue.

It's as if you think that Marxist ideology is the source of all the evils in the world -- you get a similar thing with Russian conspiracy theorists who blame 'the West' for the rise of Hitler and who see some nefarious US-led capitalist plot behind everything that goes wrong in the world ...

'There's an earthquake in Turkmenistan ... I bet the CIA were to blame ...'

Can you not see how your argument is the EXACT equivalent of this sort of knee-jerk, knuckle-dragging, bone-headed single-issue approach to the world?

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Whatever your views of Marxism, or apartheid, there is no way that things like the killing of Ruth First could ever be justified.

She was blown up by a parcel bomb sent to her in Mozambique from South Africa. It emerged after the fall of apartheid that what had been widely assumed about her death was true: the bomb was sent by the South African security service.

Ruth First's only crime was to be the wife of Joe Slovo and the mother of his three daughters.

Posted by dyfrig (# 15) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Whatever your views of Marxism, or apartheid, there is no way that things like the killing of Ruth First could ever be justified.

She was blown up by a parcel bomb sent to her in Mozambique from South Africa. It emerged after the fall of apartheid that what had been widely assumed about her death was true: the bomb was sent by the South African security service.

Ruth First's only crime was to be the wife of Joe Slovo and the mother of his three daughters.

Yeah, but as Joe and at least one of his children were or grew up to be communists, ergo evil, his wife was a legitimate target.

Or something.

Now, who was the world's most vociferous and energetic anti-communist? Really took them on. What was his name again? That guy who stood for parliament in North Minehaad. No, it's gone. It'll come to me.

quote:
Why would the skilled labour force in Angola leave their established careers with nothing? Could it be that a violent Marxist dictatorship was coming to power, forcing them to become refugees? And you're blaming the economic collapse that followed this refugee crisis on the refugees themselves rather than on the marxist MPLA that created the crisis.

You can get into chicken and egg arguments about this sort of things very easily. "White flight" in the US immediately springs to mind.

quote:
quote:
quote:

The Portuguse regime had just collapsed and the empire had simply been thrown away. Much like Britain in 410AD, there wasn't an Anglo-Saxon invasion then but the Romans left because of trouble back home.

quote:

Refugees? Really? The people who had oppressed Africans for centuries are regugees?
Apparently, enslaving people, stealing their land, etc is OK if you ado it in the name of anything but communism.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I lived in a former Portuguese African colony, Guinea-Bissau, for five years in total between the end of 1979 and mid-1986. This was a country which the Portuguese had seen as little more than a "cash cow" - it had taken its peanuts but little else (unlike other countries, it is not rich in minerals). Conversely very little development of the most basic infrastructure took place until the 1960s - for instance the country had (and has) not a yard of proper railway line.

Things did change in the 1960s as the revolutionary PAIGC movement began an intense civil war. The entire economy of Bissau, the capital, changed as large numbers of troops moved in to prosecute the war; shopkeepers, for example, prospered. Equally, the Portuguese began a "hearts and minds" campaign under the slogan of "a better Guinea" - their promise was that they would be able to develop the country for its people in ways that would be impossible for the PAIGC.

But of course the "winds of change" were sweeping over Africa and it was quite possibly the pointlessness of the Guinea campaign, more than any other, which caused the military leaders to stage a coup d'état in Lisbon in 1974. The effect in both Portugal and its former colonies was immediate and profound. In Africa Marxist governments took over from the former Fascist Portuguese authorities, while Portugal itself staggered towards a modern multiparty democracy (political posters and graffiti covered absolutely every surface, governments collapsed and reformed with almost monotonous regularity!) Something like a million expatriate Portuguese returned to the motherland within a few months; as the total population was only about 9 million this caused huge problems with housing. Shanty towns arose all round the edge of Lisbon, whose population had increased by something like 50% almost overnight.

The former colonies began independent life with great optimism. But Portugal - itself a remarkably undeveloped country - had trained up few officials, so the administration and finances rapidly collapsed into chaos. In Angola and Mozambique there were also old scores to settle between rival independence groups - this was less of a problem in Guinea although the PAIGC could have been challenged by another group called FLING. The economies were propped up for a few years by states such as Cuba and the Soviet Union; the West basically didn't want to know which led to their long-term loss of influence.

By the time we left Guinea it was officially one of the three poorest countries of the world. Many people were saying, "If only we could have the 'tugas' (Portuguese) back". One local tribal chief caused controversy by being buried with his body wrapped in a Portuguese flag, which was flown over his hut during the funeral. Now Guinea has become a failed state totally living at the behest of drug smugglers from South America. The naďve optimism of those early years, which I just about witnessed, has gone.

The colonial system was wrong, I am in no doubt of that - especially as the Portuguese (like the Belgians in Congo) could be harsh taskmasters. But I also think that many Portuguese who went "overseas" to find a better life and then lost everything were indeed genuine refugees. I don't think that one can always see these issues in absolute or binary terms.

quote:
Refugees? Really? The people who had oppressed Africans for centuries are regugees?
Apparently, enslaving people, stealing their land, etc is OK if you ado it in the name of anything but communism.

Any people forced out of where they live, regardless of the history, colonial or otherwise, can be refugees. Begin a refugee is separate from the level of concern and support for being a refugee. Another example would be Germans living in what is now Poland but was East Prussia, who were forced out in 1945-8. Or Greeks forced out of Anatolia by Turks in 1922. Or North American Indians forced onto reserves. We may think that making some people refugees is entirely reasonable at times.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

But I also think that many Portuguese who went "overseas" to find a better life and then lost everything were indeed genuine refugees. I don't think that one can always see these issues in absolute or binary terms.

Were they also blind? Because one would have to be at the very least blind to not be aware that their "better life" came at the expense of others.

Posted by JonahMan (# 12126) on :

quote:
quote:

But I also think that many Portuguese who went "overseas" to find a better life and then lost everything were indeed genuine refugees. I don't think that one can always see these issues in absolute or binary terms.

Were they also blind? Because one would have to be at the very least blind to not be aware that their "better life" came at the expense of others.
I'm pretty sure that everyone everywhere living a better life does so at the expense of others. Including me.

quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
quote:
quote:

I'm pretty sure that everyone everywhere living a better life does so at the expense of others. Including me.
Wow, this such such a nonsense response that it is difficult to know where to start.
This is akin to saying being swatted on the bum as a child is akin to another being beaten to death.

I know much less about the civil war in Angola than the one in Mozambique, simply because I spend much more time in the latter country. I also think the war in Angola was more complex.

I like to discuss with people about the war in Angola, even those who don't agree with me, to get to know more about the subject. I've already spoken with people on both sides of that war, and that has been very enlightening.

But not with an intellectual low-flyer whose moral compass is so twisted he thinks that António fucking Salazar is justified while Nelson Mandela is the bad guy. You have some serious problems, but I'm not the one who's going to cure you. What I do hold against you is your disrespect for the victims of these wars, saying that what was done against them was good and right.

A small thing: Baptist Trainfan has already said this, but I don't think there were many educated Angolan people leaving the country at independence. There were very few people in this category, simply because the Portuguese didn't allow many native people to be educated. There were only few exceptions to this. Combine this with the fact that the Portuguese burnt factories and drove tractors into the sea when they left, that many countries closed their markets for Angolan goods, and you've got a pretty good picture of the immediate economic downfall. The fact that South African soldiers started fucking things up didn't help much either.

I don't have a problem with Baptist Trainfan calling some of the Portuguese refugees. Does the fact that a country is an oppressive force make all individuals from that country oppressors? I'm willing to allow some nuance in that.

I do feel that expressions like "I wish the tugas were back" are mostly romantic bullshit. Something I hear a lot in North-East Brazil is "I wish the Dutch had stayed". People who say this should take a look at Surinam.

[ 21. August 2015, 16:56: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

I've been to Surinam. (and the 2 Guyanas) I agree with you. Among the friendliest people on earth with difficult past and present.

[ 21. August 2015, 17:02: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

quote:

Does the fact that a country is an oppressive force make all individuals from that country oppressors? I'm willing to allow some nuance in that.

The answer is yes and that nuance exists.
Look, I am not so unreasonable as to say the least German during Hitler's regime is a war criminal. And there is a load of situational nuance involved in any of our behaviour. But it remains that we allow what our governments do. It is not zero-sum, and I think looking at it that way makes for allowances. Some justified, some not.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow, this such such a nonsense response that it is difficult to know where to start.
This is akin to saying being swatted on the bum as a child is akin to another being beaten to death.

Not really, it is more akin to saying that both involve physical violence. I would certainly agree that the Portuguese in that situation were benefitting to a greater, and to a more obvious degree. But you and I are also living at other's expense. Or are you under the impression that, for example, the computer you're using to post with was entirely using well-paid, happy labour? That all the elements used to make it were mined by happy people with no chance of death or injury? The same applies to virtually every other aspect of life, to some extent. Not as extreme as life under apartheid, perhaps. But not far off in many cases, and in all cases it is a matter of degree, not kind.

quote:
I know much less about the civil war in Angola than the one in Mozambique, simply because I spend much more time in the latter country. I also think the war in Angola was more complex.

I like to discuss with people about the war in Angola, even those who don't agree with me, to get to know more about the subject. I've already spoken with people on both sides of that war, and that has been very enlightening.

But not with an intellectual low-flyer whose moral compass is so twisted he thinks that António fucking Salazar is justified while Nelson Mandela is the bad guy. You have some serious problems, but I'm not the one who's going to cure you. What I do hold against you is your disrespect for the victims of these wars, saying that what was done against them was good and right.

As I keep saying I wasn't talking about the Angolan civil war when I said South Africa did a good thing in intervening. There weren't really any 'good guys' in that war, the MPLA and UNITA both being quite loathsome organisations.

I have been repeatedly accused of simplistic binary classifications of people as good or evil and yet that is exactly what you are doing here. You talk about 'listening to both sides' but what I suspect you mean is listening to both anti-colonial groups, the MPLA and UNITA. You are obviously so filled with anti-colonial fanaticism that the very idea that the Portuguese colonial authorities might have been justified in some things sends you into a rage. You think yourself evenhanded for listening to the point of view of the MPLA side and the UNITA side but when someone puts the Portuguese side your evenhandedness shows its limits.

I don't think that António Salazar was a saint but neither was he a devil. Like Mandela he did some good things and he did some bad things. If you want to make comparisons of character I think he was clearly a better political leader and a morally better human being than either Agostinho Neto or Jonas Savimbi or Samora Machel. That is not a particularly high point of praise but nevertheless its true.

Just because there were plenty of bad things about the Salazar government doesn't mean they were unjustified in everything they did. In the Angolan war I think the Portuguese were justified in trying to defeat the marxists.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
You are obviously so filled with anti-colonial fanaticism that the very idea that the Portuguese colonial authorities might have been justified in some things sends you into a rage.

Pot, meet kettle.

Colonialism is vile, evil ideology. It assumes that one nation has the right to govern lands that are not their own, based solely on being the stronger nation - usually military strength, often economic strength. It assumes that the foreign government has the right to exploit the natural resources of the governed, for the benefit of the colonial power without needing to consider benefit to the governed. Extending empires, through war or economic pressure, has given us the trans-Atlantic slave trade condemning millions to horrendous shipment and if they were "lucky" enough to survive to life of servitude with no rights, and no rights for their children. It gave us gunships sailing into China and Japan to force open trade, in some cases where the product was opium. It gave us the Belgians destroying the Congo and umpteen other examples of atrocities. I could go on. Ultimately apartheid was another example of the evils of colonialism.

Compared to all that evil inflicted by foreign powers, is it any wonder so many people decided to take up arms to liberate themselves and gain the chance of governing themselves?

But, oh that's the most evil of evil. To rebel against "legitimate" authority. Even though colonial power had no authority at all. Who was there objecting to European nations overthrowing the legitimate authorities that governed those lands before they arrived with the guns, slaveships, miners and bankers?

quote:
Bibliophile: I have been repeatedly accused of simplistic binary classifications of people as good or evil and yet that is exactly what you are doing here. You talk about 'listening to both sides' but what I suspect you mean is listening to both anti-colonial groups, the MPLA and UNITA.
Two things I didn't say. Understanding what you're reading isn't your strongest point either. You're just too dumb.

quote:
But you and I are also living at other's expense. Or are you under the impression that, for example, the computer you're using to post with was entirely using well-paid, happy labour?

Look, I get this. And I do not care for this being the case. Not sure everyone who uses electronic devices does know, though. Really hard to say this for first-worlders living in Africa.

quote:

The same applies to virtually every other aspect of life, to some extent. Not as extreme as life under apartheid, perhaps. But not far off in many cases, and in all cases it is a matter of degree, not kind.

And to the extent you do nothing to change this, you are guilty as well. To a degree.
But are you suggesting that, because we cannot live completely ethically, we cannot condemn atrocity?
It is not completely clean your own house and then call for change elsewhere, it is do both.

[ 21. August 2015, 19:44: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

quote:
quote:
But you and I are also living at other's expense. Or are you under the impression that, for example, the computer you're using to post with was entirely using well-paid, happy labour?

Look, I get this. And I do not care for this being the case. Not sure everyone who uses electronic devices does know, though. Really hard to say this for first-worlders living in Africa.

quote:

The same applies to virtually every other aspect of life, to some extent. Not as extreme as life under apartheid, perhaps. But not far off in many cases, and in all cases it is a matter of degree, not kind.

And to the extent you do nothing to change this, you are guilty as well. To a degree.
But are you suggesting that, because we cannot live completely ethically, we cannot condemn atrocity?
It is not completely clean your own house and then call for change elsewhere, it is do both.

I quite agree. Not sure why you were getting your knickers in a twist in the first place. I certainly didn't say we shouldn't condemn apartheid or any other regime or economic system that generates injustice. I was merely pointing out that our hands are by no means clean either.

quote:
quote:
Bibliophile: I have been repeatedly accused of simplistic binary classifications of people as good or evil and yet that is exactly what you are doing here. You talk about 'listening to both sides' but what I suspect you mean is listening to both anti-colonial groups, the MPLA and UNITA.
Two things I didn't say. Understanding what you're reading isn't your strongest point either. You're just too dumb.
I didn't say that you had accused me of simplistic binary thinking, I said that I had repeatedly accused of it here, which I have been.

On the second point you said

quote:
So you said that you spoke with people 'on both sides' and that it was 'very enlightening', in other words that you listened to people on both sides.

Bibliophile, you are either not very bright or pretty stupid. I'm not sure which.

Whatever the case, you aren't very clever. Sorry, but there it is. I don't agree with everyone who disagrees with you but let's face it, you've got about as much nuance as something that has no nuance.

At least you've admitted at last that Mandela had some good points as well as bad.

That has to be some progress.

Where are you studying, by the way? Non Nuance University, Binary Ville, Black and White County, Minnesota?

If you are wondering why people are getting this impression of you, here's a tip ... read your own posts.

'Who can discern his errors?'

Gamaliel, I suspect Bibliophile is actually very clever indeed, with an IQ of c 140. He cannot however accept any information that is at odds with his own preconceptions and prejudices.

It's all part of the authoritarian personality - read "The Psychology of Military Incompetence" by N F Dixon, which shows how a lot of Bibliophile's traits are a Bad Thing for military commanders (and anyone else in command).

Posted by Polly (# 1107) on :

quote:
Bibliophile posted:
I have been repeatedly accused of simplistic binary classifications of people as good or evil and yet that is exactly what you are doing here.

No - that is not why people are challenging you on this forum.

quote:
If peaceful and lawful protests do not induce the authorities to enact social reform then the correct solution is to respect the authorities' decision.

It is for posts such as this where you have continued to demonstrate any real empathy or shown any compassion for the thousands who suffered under apartheid.

Your sources have continued to be shown as weak at best and when others have highlighted the plight of what so many non-whites went through your only response was that they were "sad".

"Sad" - how can anyone listen to such stories and say they are "sad". Those stories (20000 recorded by the TRC) are hideous, awful, truly disgusting that a human can do that to another.

In addition the OP you began was about the 'idolising' of Mandela. Absolutely everyone else has acknowledged that he wasn't perfect but someone who was driven to actions (inc violence against the state) after every effort to pursue peaceful protests failed. The provocation he and non-whites endured again was in-humane but you still wanted to dismiss such treatment.

What you have also failed to grasp is that people change. Mandela was not the angry man going into prison when he was released.

Your continued unwillingness to see the political Landscape in shades of grey has meant again you have failed to see the achievements of Mandela and his supporters. Reconciliation was never a full gone conclusion and a thirst for 'justice' could have easily began.

These are just some of things why you have been called to this forum.

Sure, Sioni, Bibliophile probably is clever - but he's not very intelligent. There is a difference. His level of emotional intelligence is very low indeed - judging by his posts.

He sounds like a Tea Party version of Mr Spock.

quote:
I quite agree. Not sure why you were getting your knickers in a twist in the first place. I certainly didn't say we shouldn't condemn apartheid or any other regime or economic system that generates injustice.

I do tend to react strongly, so I re-read the post. And, in the context of the thread, it still appears that you were minimising the Portuguese culpability in Africa.
I accept that you are not, but it it still reads that way.
Could just be me, though.
quote:
I was merely pointing out that our hands are by no means clean either.

Preach it. On the first world's negative impact on the planet, I have a fairly constant record of being a PITA.*

*Slang for a person with a strong opinion.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Sure, Sioni, Bibliophile probably is clever - but he's not very intelligent. There is a difference. His level of emotional intelligence is very low indeed - judging by his posts.

I think that is accurate: I have him down as Articulate Stupid. And, as you say, a moral idiot.

It raises the question as to whether we are dealing with the ineducable. We've seen other instances over the years of the obsessively opinionated, lacking empathy and unable, apparently, to process certain aspects of language.

I disagree with the 'clever' part. He knows one debating trick, and he uses it to wind up people, first about feminism, then about Nelson Mandela ... (I wonder what the next one will be). I'm going to stick with dumb.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Gamaliel, I suspect Bibliophile is actually very clever indeed, with an IQ of c 140. He cannot however accept any information that is at odds with his own preconceptions and prejudices.

It's all part of the authoritarian personality - read "The Psychology of Military Incompetence" by N F Dixon, which shows how a lot of Bibliophile's traits are a Bad Thing for military commanders (and anyone else in command).

Well I have never heard of D F Dixon but I have heard of people like Fromm and Adorno. Of course they were social scientists with openly far left sympathies who wrote works pathologising right wing thinking. Whist I have not studied their work I can't help suspecting that their conclusions were heavily influenced by their own political biases. Your reference to 'the authoritarian personality' leads me to suspect that Dixon may have been following this school of thought.

The solution to not knowing what someone has written is simple. Get a copy of the relevant books and read what they say. Shouldn't be difficult for a self confessed lover of books.

FWIW Norman Dixon served in the Royal Engineers then studied psychology, becoming professor at University College London. He also taught at Sandhurst, the British Army's college.

He's very hot on cognitive dissonance (and the roots of authoritarianism, like a lack of affirmation in infancy). Read up on this concepts and try, for the first time in your miserable life, to comprehend objectively. If you can't then you probably stand as an example.

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

Perhaps right-wing "thinking" simply is pathological, when you exclude its central presumption that a particular group always has the right to privilege. Strangely enough, it never looks pathological to members of that group...

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The solution to not knowing what someone has written is simple. Get a copy of the relevant books and read what they say. Shouldn't be difficult for a self confessed lover of books.

Well I've just had a look at Forward and Preface of 'The Authoritarian Personality' where it it pretty much openly admitted that the work was driven by political bias

from Horkheimer's forward to the work
quote:
Our aim is not merely to describe prejudice but to explain it in order to help in its eradication. That is the challenge we would meet. Eradication means re-education, scientifically planned on the basis of understanding scientifically arrived at. And education in a strict sense is by its nature personal and psychological.
From the preface also by Horkheimer

quote:
The present work, we hope, will find a place in this history of the interdependence between science and the cultural climate. Its ultimate goal is to open new avenues in a research area which can become of immediate practical significance. It seeks to develop and promote an understanding of social-psychological factors which have made it possible for the authoritarian type of man to threaten to replace the individualistic and democratic type prevalent in the past century and a half of our civilization, and of the factors by which this threat may be contained. Progressive analysis of this new "anthropological" type and of its growth conditions, with an ever increasing scientific differentiation, will enhance the chances of a genuinely educational counterattack.
So in other words there isn't even a pretence of scientific objectivity. Horkheimer is effectively stating that the authors work was politically motivated, that they started out with a political motivation i.e. that they wanted to attack 'the authoritarian personality'. This motivated the conclusion that they wanted to reach i.e. that 'the authoritarian personality' was pathological and that the studies were specifically designed to produce that conclusion. The fact that the notorious pseudo scientist Sigmund Freud is also singled out for high praise in the preface doesn't bode well for work in the book.

quote:
FWIW Norman Dixon served in the Royal Engineers then studied psychology, becoming professor at University College London. He also taught at Sandhurst, the British Army's college

I hope you aren't suggesting that his work has added authority because he was a military officer and taught at a military academy. That would be very authoritarian of you!

quote:
quote:
FWIW Norman Dixon served in the Royal Engineers then studied psychology, becoming professor at University College London. He also taught at Sandhurst, the British Army's college

I hope you aren't suggesting that his work has added authority because he was a military officer and taught at a military academy. That would be very authoritarian of you!
No, I thought it might, just, be a counter to your automatic and prejudiced assumption that anything left-wing must be evil. Anyway, Dixon's book explains that many poor or inadequate military commanders (especially those out of their depth) displayed authoritarian traits. That is not the same as authoritative ones. Those two things are very different.

All you do is simply react to what is presented to you rather than think about it. I can't wait for the schools to go back.

quote:
Where are you studying, by the way? Non Nuance University, Binary Ville, Black and White County, Minnesota?

If you want to see binary thinking look at some of the posts here. Fanatical anti-colonialists like LeRoc, lilBuddha and Firenze who are reacting to the suggestion that Portugal may have been in the right in the colonial wars of the 1960s and 70s. They have not responded with any reasoned counter arguments or any real counter arguments but with simple fury.

Agostinho Neto, Jonas Savimbi and Samora Machel were all men who used violence to take power in countries that had been poor and lacking in political freedom and managed to make those countries poorer and significantly less free. For all his many faults Salazar was clearly a better human being than all three of them and in this case he was in the right to oppose them.

The response has not been any reasoned nuanced argument that 'FRELIMO and the MPLA were better than the Portuguese because of xyz'. The response has simply been to call me mad and/or stupid and/or evil.

[ 22. August 2015, 10:18: Message edited by: Bibliophile ]

quote:
Bibliophile: Fanatical anti-colonialists like LeRoc, lilBuddha and Firenze who are reacting to the suggestion that Portugal may have been in the right in the colonial wars of the 1960s and 70s.
Random accusations of things I didn't do? Again?

If you think that Salazar was a better man than Machel, then you're clearly disturbed. But no, I'm not going to have a discussion about Angolan and Mozambican history with someone I have to explain first to what the problem with Salazarian colonialism is. This says more about you than about anything else.

quote:
quote:
Bibliophile: Fanatical anti-colonialists like LeRoc, lilBuddha and Firenze who are reacting to the suggestion that Portugal may have been in the right in the colonial wars of the 1960s and 70s.

If you think that Salazar was a better man than Machel, then you're clearly disturbed. But no, I'm not going to have a discussion about Angolan and Mozambican history with someone I have to explain first to what the problem with Salazarian colonialism is. This says more about you than about anything else.

Consider this: Salazar was a white, European neo-fascist (or possibly neo-Nazi). Savimbi, Machel and Nelson Mandela too weren't any of those things.

I'm reluctant to call Bibliophile a racist (too easy) but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, I say it's a duck.

quote:
quote:

Whereas everybody else assumes that citing Dixon's credentials means that he has relevant experience and may actually know what he's talking about.

Unlike you.

quote:
Sioni Sais: Consider this: Salazar was a white, European neo-fascist (or possibly neo-Nazi). Savimbi, Machel and Nelson Mandela too weren't any of those things.
I would like to take Savimbi out of this sequence.

quote:
. Fanatical anti-colonialists like LeRoc, lilBuddha and Firenze who are reacting to the suggestion that Portugal may have been in the right in the colonial wars of the 1960s and 70s. They have not responded with any reasoned counter arguments or any real counter arguments but with simple fury.

Agostinho Neto, Jonas Savimbi and Samora Machel were all men who used violence to take power in countries that had been poor and lacking in political freedom and managed to make those countries poorer and significantly less free. For all his many faults Salazar was clearly a better human being than all three of them and in this case he was in the right to oppose them.

The response has not been any reasoned nuanced argument that 'FRELIMO and the MPLA were better than the Portuguese because of xyz'. The response has simply been to call me mad and/or stupid and/or evil.

It is to laugh.
So, being against stealing the land of others and then forcing them to serve you is a bad thing?
Yes, Salazar, that wonderful humanitarian who created de facto slavery in Africa. His atrocities don't matter? Because he was white of because he was fascist?

Posted by Chesterbelloc (# 3128) on :

You can say a lot, both pro and con, about Salazar and the Estado Novo, but that he/it was in any meaningful sense (neo-)Nazi? Would someone like to attempt to justify that particular label?

There were strange contradictions in Salazar. On the one hand he was a Fascist autocrat with a vicious secret police (the PIDE). Personally he was a devout Catholic who lived modestly and aspired for every Portuguese to have a "little house" of their own.

A former friend of mine - a retired Labour MP no less! - once met Salazar when he was visiting Portugal with a group of socialist students in the 1950s. As they quietly sat by the river a gentleman came to join them and they suddenly realised who it was. Politically they were poles apart yet they had a civilised and gracious conversation.

Please don't think I'm defending him and his regime: I'm not. (I had a friend who was living in Lisbon in the early 70s and saw the police harshly put down a peaceful demonstration in the Praca da Figueirs). But he was very different from Mussolini or Hitler.

I did not compare him to either Hitler or Mussolini, nor did I call him a Nazi.. But he admired Mussolini and supported Franco.
Fascist-lite, then? Or perhaps para-fascist, as he has been described?
Still a bastard as far as African's are concerned.

I don't disagree with any of that.

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
You can say a lot, both pro and con, about Salazar and the Estado Novo, but that he/it was in any meaningful sense (neo-)Nazi? Would someone like to attempt to justify that particular label?

I can see this discussion getting a little heated here so I've started a new thread in the purgatory section of the board.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Consider this: Salazar was a white, European neo-fascist (or possibly neo-Nazi). Savimbi, Machel and Nelson Mandela too weren't any of those things.
I didn't say Salazar was a better human being than Mandela. I think they were both flawed human beings who had good points and bad points.

Most people agree about what a nasty piece of work Savimbi was.

Machel and Salazar were both dictators. Machel wrecked his country's economy and murdered tens of thousands of alleged opponents. Salazar didn't.

None of them were neo-fascist or neo-nazi.

[ 22. August 2015, 17:39: Message edited by: Bibliophile ]

You really are a tool, Bibliophile. Bet Salizar made the trains run on time too. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Gotta say it, this guy has a gift for bringing out epic levels of brilliant in people.

Posted by Below the Lansker (# 17297) on :

quote:
You really are a tool, Bibliophile. Bet Salizar made the trains run on time too. [Roll Eyes]

This is Portugal we are talking about. I lived and worked there for 23 years - it is a fascinating country and they are wonderful people, but I don't think even the most patriotic of Portuguese would claim that time-keeping is their strong point. Even a dictator can't change that ...

How are Le Roc, Firenze and Lil' Buddha any more or less 'fanatical' in their political and anti-colonial beliefs than you are in your rather right-wing Tea Party-esque ones?

What makes them wrong and you right?

It's only in very recent posts that you've acknowledged that Mandela had any redeeming features at all. Whenever anyone has so much as suggested that he did something right or honourable you have tried to demonstrate otherwise.

I was half-expecting you to suggest that Idi Amin was a better human being than Nelson Mandela because at least Idi Amin - for all his appalling record on human rights - had never been a Communist ...

It's not just the lefties who are disagreeing with you, Bibliophile, some very moderate Shipmates are too - and also a number who have either lived and worked in Portugal or Mozambique or South Africa and other places beyond wherever it is you have your nose stuck in a book.

Instead of conceding that they might just, just might, have some kind of insight into the situations that prevailed on the ground in those countries you dismiss their observations as 'fanatical' and act as if you have access to far superior knowledge and intelligence - which is patently not the case.

You then wonder why people lose patience with you.

I've got no axe to grind here -- I've never visited Southern Africa and I've only spent 5 days in Portugal - back in 1980 which was a few years after the end of the Salazar regime.

The impression I picked up, though, was that the RC Church had lost a lot of credibility due to its connections with the Salazar regime. I also met a fluently English-speaking Portuguese chap who was visiting his homeland after years in South Africa and he was remarkably racist. He complained that the 'blacks' in Zambia and Zimbabwe no longer crossed the road out of respect for a white person approaching them along the pavement (sidewalk) - as if this was the proper deference and response that they should show.

Other than that, all the Portuguese I met were wonderfully warm and hospitable. I liked them a lot.

I don't always agree with the posters you mention - but I certainly don't see any of them as 'fanatical' anti-colonialists. Rather, I see them as people I may differ with in some respects but nevertheless people who have insights and experiences that are interesting and informative.

They speak from a position of knowledge - first hand experience and engagement.

You don't.

To be frank you sound like someone who can't think for himself but swallows everything he reads in Neo-Con literature and the rather blinkered viewpoint of the US religious right.

It also sounds very wooden - as though you are regurgitating it from some kind of Tea Party/Neo-Con text book.

Sure, there are people on the Left who can sound like that too - in the opposite direction and from their equivalent / parallel texts - but that's not how the Shipmates you've mentioned come across to me.

I'm afraid you come across as a rather spikey, preppy US undergraduate with an axe to grind who would benefit from some time abroad where he could see first hand how other people live and where he can learn from their perspectives rather than a kind of black and white, good guy / bad guy Hollywood Western view of the world.

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

quote:
Bibliophile, you are either not very bright or pretty stupid. I'm not sure which.

Agreed.

quote:

Blow it out your ass. Sideways. With shrapnel.

AFAIK, he's not from here. And if you're looking for backwards-thinking places, there's plenty on your own sceptred isle to pick from, thanks.

I never said otherwise.

If Bibliophile were from Yorkshire, say, I'd be saying exactly the same thing.

Only I'd change the name of the location to reflect that.

I only used 'Minnesota' because it's somewhere Mid-Western and 'fly-over' - like Idaho and those other places that we'd be hard pushed to locate on a map.

For all I know, Minnesota might be the very soul of nuanced thinking and subtlety. I only know of it through 'The Great Northfield Minnesota Bank Raid' and stories of Jesse James.

That might tell you more about Hollywood and more about me than it tells you about Minnesota itself.

In fact I'm sure it does.

Don't be so sensitive. I could find plenty of places over here to 'stand in' for some obscure spot out on the mid-western Plains.

I'm sure intelligent life doesn't end at the Missippi/Missouri and resume again somewhere west of Colorado or a thin coastal strip from Seattle down to San Francisco ...

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

I thought Minnesota was full of Scandinavian Social Democrats/ Agrarians. Even that populist independent Governor, Jesse Ventura, that they had in the 90s seemed to be relatively progressive and decent.

If it helps, I could change the name of the State to one that doesn't actually exist - something like 'Binasota' or something that bore no relation whatsoever to any US State real or imagined.

Was Lake Begone in Minnesota?

If so, I have heard rather more about it than Jesse James.

Whatever the case, we seem agreed on other aspects so I'm more than happy to retract my inadvertent calumny against your home-state.

I think I knew St Paul was in Minnesota. I'm sure it's a very fine place.

Minnesota Vikings. There. That's something else I've heard of. Should there be more?

Sorry, cross-posted with Albertus. Yes, I've heard of them ...

In which case, even more apologies for my calumny against Minnesota.

I should have gone with Idaho but I thought that would be too obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7t7cGwN7_0

You could have gone with Alaska. Bibliophile makes Sarah Palin seem intelligent, well informed and moderate by comparison. Though, if comet's around at the moment you might want to reconsider that.

Or Texas. I'm sure Bibliophile would agree that Obama is leading a Commie plot to invade through tunnels connecting Walmart stores.

But, yes he could be from over here. We do, after all, have Neanderthals who think voting BNP is a good idea. His support for European colonialism would certainly be more consistent with BNP/UKIP harking back to the "good old days" of the British Empire and our kindly and compassionate bearing of the White Mans Burden looking after the interests of the ignorant savages of Africa and Asia.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
One underlying question - what is the precise utility of this game of Who Was the Greater Bastard in History? Is it a proxy war for our own beliefs and ideology? An attempt to understand the world that Figure X left us? What?

This isn't about who is the greatest bastard in history, but what makes the greatest bastard. And the answer is communism.
Communism is Teh Evilz no matter what.
Fascism isn't that bad unless it gets too crazy with the white peoples.
Colonialism is fine because it prevents Communism.
Communism is truly horrible, bad, nasty, rotten and not nice full stop. Even if it is a reaction to theft, murder, rape, slavery, torture, oppression and kicking puppies.
Kicking puppies is a positive good, if those puppies are communist.

I wouldn't say that communism is the sole source of evil in the world, far from it.

I would also point out that a number of posters here, including yourself, have expressed very black and white views on colonialism, expressing extreme hostility to colonialism and arguing along the lines that colonial administrations are always illegitimate and are always in the wrong when they conflict with 'liberation movements'. For you and some others here colonialism is 'Teh Evilz no matter what.'

Really? So, then, educate me. How is colonialism good?

Posted by chris stiles (# 12641) on :

quote:

hostility to colonialism and arguing along the lines that colonial administrations are always illegitimate

So please tell us which colonial administrations were so legitimate that they should never have been challenged by any notion of democracy however mild. Then we can invite the representatives of those colonized to tell you to go and fuck yourself.

The thing is, Bibliophile, if you go back far enough then hardly any government is 'legitimate' in the terms you appear to advocate ie. they've not come into being by rebelling against someone or something else.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but your over-riding criterion seems to be that the legitimacy or otherwise of any government or system is the extent to which it has or hasn't rebelled against some former power ...

You keep citing the Pauline injunction about respecting and obeying the civil authorities as if that is some kind of universal blue-print or yardstick without any form of context.

Sure, I'm not about to take up arms against Cameron nor would I advocate anyone else doing so ... but you've criticised Washington and the Founding Fathers of your own country for rebelling against George III ... which is fine by me as I often tease right-wing Americans about that ... but by the same token the Jacobites would have considered themselves the legitimate monarchy here rather than the Hanoverians ...

How far back do you want to go?

Was William the Conqueror any more or less legitimate a ruler than the Harold he deposed?

Should we even celebrate or recognise any of the Anglo-Saxon rulers because they were johnny-come-latelys and the native British were here first ...

Sure, we can believe in a Providence working in and through all these things - the good, the bad, the indifferent - but it often sounds here that any form of government is legitimate in your view provided it's not a Marxist one or provided it hasn't come into being by deposing a previous regime.

By that token and standard you could write-off almost every single government or system that there has ever been ...

France is desperately compromised, then, because of the Revolution, so is the US, so is Russia, so is practically everywhere else.

Give us an example of a government or system which isn't compromised in some way by your standards.

quote:
Really? So, then, educate me. How is colonialism good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

People, please! Don't give the tool any fuel, you will complicate the response. Let him set himself up.

Edited to address the x-post: Use your words, Bibliophobe. Your own words.

[ 24. August 2015, 18:42: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

quote:

Colonialism brought medicine, literacy, modern systems of law and government, trade, transportation, railways, the wheel etc to large parts of the world. People sometimes complain that the the progress was not enough, but there was economic and social progress where before there was none.

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

quote:
Colonialism brought medicine, literacy, modern systems of law and government, trade, transportation, railways, the wheel etc to large parts of the world. People sometimes complain that the the progress was not enough, but there was economic and social progress where before there was none.

With only a modicum of rape, pillage, racial cleansing, war, disease, slavery, raw resource stealing, deliberate mass addiction, economic blackmail, piracy and so on.

Ungrateful swine.

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Don't forget buying a slave girl so the whiskey maker could watch cannibals eat her.

quote:
quote:

Well you would say that, wouldn't you, as a citizen of the world's largest surviving and most thoroughly dominant colonial empire.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

Y'know, I was going to reach for the clue bat, but I think this problem is at least an order of magnitude more serious. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a clue tactical-nuke?

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Don't forget buying a slave girl so the whiskey maker could watch cannibals eat her.

Probably untrue

[ 24. August 2015, 20:22: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

quote:
quote:

As mr cheesy illustrates, not without some serious baggage.
Your defence is kinda like suggesting a rape victim should be grateful because she got a pelvic exam during treatment.

quote:
Was Lake Begone in Minnesota?

Lake Wobegon. Yes, indeed. A lovely portrait of an ideal rural town.

quote:
If so, I have heard rather more about it than Jesse James

That's nice to hear. Although the locals in Northfield are quick to tell you that their town chased his gang off - killed some, and jailed a couple more.

quote:
Whatever the case, we seem agreed on other aspects so I'm more than happy to retract my inadvertent calumny against your home-state

Your gracious apology is accepted. [Biased]

quote:
I think I knew St Paul was in Minnesota. I'm sure it's a very fine place.

It's not bad. My wife is from there. I mean, it's nothing to compare to Minneapolis, but it's a nice place to visit.

quote:
Minnesota Vikings. There. That's something else I've heard of. Should there be more?

Undoubtedly - but we've probably derailed this thread enough. It's really about Bibliophlle being an ass, isn't it?

The one thing you should know about Minnesota above all others is the Mayo Clinic.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:

Sure, I'm not about to take up arms against Cameron nor would I advocate anyone else doing so ... but you've criticised Washington and the Founding Fathers of your own country for rebelling against George III ... which is fine by me as I often tease right-wing Americans about that ... but by the same token the Jacobites would have considered themselves the legitimate monarchy here rather than the Hanoverians ...

How far back do you want to go?

Was William the Conqueror any more or less legitimate a ruler than the Harold he deposed?.

William was clearly more legitimate a ruler because he won.

Another example. The British settlement here resulted in the dispossession of the entire ancient peoples of this land. Very few were directly killed in the process, but many continue to die. Governments seem unable properly to address the issue, probably because it's so hard.

Then take the example of countries such as Australia, Canada and NZ - first British colonies, then client states of Britain and since 1945 of the US.

Thanks for the tip-off about the Mayo Clinic.

Sounds good.

This probably isn't the time or place to relate the story from a travel book about Ireland in which the author relates how he overheard some US tourists in County Mayo saying, 'Say, is this where all the mayo (mayonnaise) comes from?'

[Razz]

I doubt they were from Minnesota.

Now, Minneapolis, to my shame I know nothing about the city apart from its name. I must look it up.

As to Northfield, well, the good citizens can genuinely take pride in seeing off the James Gang.

My brother once mentioned that he'd read an article about it in which a historian suggested that what they did was truly remarkable given that James and his gang were hardened killers, war veterans and pretty formidable. None of the citizens of Northfield had ever fired a shot in anger, yet they managed to beat off a pretty scary bunch of seasoned desperadoes ...

Any way, this is meant to be a thread about Bibliophile but I've found myself enjoying a tangential discussion with his more nuanced countrymen.

God bless America!

quote:

Any way, this is meant to be a thread about Bibliophile but I've found myself enjoying a tangential discussion with his more nuanced countrymen.

Despite the point of jbohn's original post being that bibliophile is not American?

Minnesotans are thoroughly awesome people and it was a great regret that it didn't make the list of destinations when I was in North America.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Minnesotans are thoroughly awesome people and it was a great regret that it didn't make the list of destinations when I was in North America.

We regret it, as well.

I thought he was saying that Bibliophile was not from Minnesota, not that he wasn't from the US.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick and mistaken Bibliophile for a Tea Party style Republican American then I apologise.

Unreservedly.

I think he is a Common-or-garden British Tory-boy.

Different spellings for the same kind of fool.

Gosh. So why did I assume he was from the US?

[Hot and Hormonal]

quote:

[Hot and Hormonal]

I don't know why did you? Normally I don't discuss personal information about myself on forums like this and I have been amused by some of the wrong speculation that has been going on. However it seems to be getting a bit silly now so just for the record I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.

quote:
However it seems to be getting a bit silly now so just for the record I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.

Well there's a surprise. You are also about 19 and studying politics/theology at a redbrick university, right?

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:
I don't know why did you? Normally I don't discuss personal information about myself on forums like this and I have been amused by some of the wrong speculation that has been going on. However it seems to be getting a bit silly now so just for the record I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.

Ah, that must be why the old moron-meter exploded when it saw your posts. More evidence that most 'kippers are racist and thick as a hod full of bricks.

quote:

[Hot and Hormonal]

And why did Americans assume he was a Brit? Because no one wishes to be responsible for producing him.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
quote:

[Hot and Hormonal]

Gosh gee whiz - I never met a real live, self confessed, practising and unrepentant Ukipper before. So you're not just a media hoax?

Posted by Polly (# 1107) on :

quote:
Bibliophile posted:
I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.

I can see it now with you in your armchair reading the Daily Mail and an Alf Garnett poster in the background.

quote:
lilBuddha
And why did Americans assume he was a Brit? Because no one wishes to be responsible for producing him.

[Overused]

In fairness the USA has Donald Trump, Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz and so we should accept our fair share of muppets

I apologise unreservedly to all US posters for assuming Bibli-oaf-fool was one of theirs.

I don't know what I can do to make amends.

Perhaps I should emigrate.

quote:

In fairness the USA has Donald Trump, Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz and so we should accept our fair share of muppets [/QB]

Don't forget Kermit.

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
However it seems to be getting a bit silly now so just for the record I'm from the UK and I vote UKIP.

Well there's a surprise. You are also about 19 and studying politics/theology at a redbrick university, right?
And a child of deano?

That's a terrible slur. At least deano has a sense of humour.

Minneapolis looks nice.

Will they give me a Green Card?

Having Deano a county or so away from here is bad enough. Sharing this island with Bibliophile is quite another level of Hell.

I'm sure Dante would have put him in the outermost layer or level of the Infernal regions.

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

Thinking oneself amusing is not the definition of a sense of humour.

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

quote:
I apologise unreservedly to all US posters for assuming Bibli-oaf-fool was one of theirs.

I don't know what I can do to make amends.

Perhaps I should emigrate.

Haven't they suffered enough?

He doesn't have to emigrate to the US.

quote:
quote:

No no, be fair ( I know, fair to deano? why? I must be getting generous in my old age). I've known him once or twice to turn things into jokes against himself. Bibliophile would never do that.

quote:
quote:
quote:

No no, be fair ( I know, fair to deano? why? I must be getting generous in my old age). I've known him once or twice to turn things into jokes against himself. Bibliophile would never do that.
Moreover, deano generally posts offensively when he's pissed (check it: often after "stop tap" as we call it in Wales). Bibliophile OTOH is stone cold sober. Quite possibly not even old enough to drink legally, despite his protestations about voting UKIP.

Hadn't noticed that about deano. I do have a horrible feeling that I might, once or twice, enjoy an evening in the pub arguing with deano, if there were some other more congenial people around too. But never with bibliophile (or even over a McDonalds Happy Meal or whatever is appropriate for his age).

A dummy and digestive biscuits?

Farley's rusks, even.

quote:

Bibliophile takes after his mother.

quote:
quote:

They have a different "feel" to their posts. Bibliophile makes me want to punch something. Deano makes me want to take a shower.

quote:
Farley's rusks, even.

The digestive biscuits were for you. Bibliotool doesn't seem to be able to handle anything solid yet.

You are so thoughtful [Smile]

From the Styx thread about BPh's 8th commandment warning:

quote:
Politics I can discuss in a more dispassionate way when I want to.

Ah, so it's just that he never wants to.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
From the Styx thread about BPh's 8th commandment warning:

quote:
Politics I can discuss in a more dispassionate way when I want to.

Ah, so it's just that he never wants to.
How can one discuss politics when the commies suppress all reasonable debate?

Posted by alienfromzog (# 5327) on :

I've been watching this discussion with interest. Partly because I found some of sheer poverty of Bibliophile arguments strangely hypnotic but also because of a strong dislike I have of the appalling confluence that is often made between anything vaguely left of centre and communism. Horrific oppression has been done by unfettered capitalism at home and western foreign policy abroad in the name of fighting the evil of communism.

I thought about posting about Martin Luther-King's sermon on communism. Well worth a read, especially when you consider the time he was writing in. He makes no apology for communism but rightly points out why it appeals to the poor and vulnerable.

Then I learned something today. I knew the quote and for me it is the most profound and important description of the human condition. It is, of course, the doctrine of original sin (however you view that spiritually and scriptually).
quote:
The line between good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through the middle of every human heart and through all human hearts.
What I didn't know, until today was who wrote it and moreover the context.

Writing whilst imprisoned by communists for political dissent, Solzhenistyn didn't write Communists are evil and therefore good must be on the side of those who oppose them, he penned those words.

Bibliophile, I think you should consider that. No one is denying the evils done by communism, it's simply that to leap to condemning anyone with the faintest connection is deeply flawed logic.

AFZ

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

quote:

John Calvin's Beard man, but we're not taking him here!

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
quote:

You sent us Justin Bieber. You owe us.

I don't think that Bibliophile cares about the evils of Communism. I'm not convinced that he gives a fuck about the people who were killed in its name or in the name of any other ideologies. It's just a childish little game of "let's rile up those lefties by calling everything slightly related to Communism bad and everything else good". But it ends up saying a lot more about him than about us.

Arguing with Bibliophile brings to mind a quote of Ed Koch, late mayor of New York. He said, with feeling, that "I can explain it to you, but I cannot comprehend it for you".

quote:
quote:
quote:

We sent you Celine Dion. We're more than square.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Both are crimes against good taste. But you just might be showing your age by differentiating them.

quote:

You can take her back, too. Call me when you send us someone --- what's the word? --- good.

quote:
I don't think that Bibliophile cares about the evils of Communism. I'm not convinced that he gives a fuck about the people who were killed in its name or in the name of any other ideologies. It's just a childish little game of "let's rile up those lefties by calling everything slightly related to Communism bad and everything else good". But it ends up saying a lot more about him than about us.

There are quite a few posts here from lefties talking about how terrible the right wing is, how anyone to the right of David Cameron is the incarnation of evil and implying that anyone who supports right wing policies is either corrupt, stupid or ignorant.

Any yet when a right winger says some unflattering things about lefty thinking you assume its a wind up.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
quote:

There are quite a few posts here from lefties talking about how terrible the right wing is, how anyone to the right of David Cameron is the incarnation of evil and implying that anyone who supports right wing policies is either corrupt, stupid or ignorant.

You should have no problem linking to an example then.

quote:
Arguing with Bibliophile brings to mind a quote of Ed Koch, late mayor of New York. He said, with feeling, that "I can explain it to you, but I cannot comprehend it for you".

I never find your posts difficult to comprehend Sioni Sais. Often highly pompous yes, difficult to comprehend no.

quote:
Bibliophile: There are quite a few posts here from lefties talking about how terrible the right wing is, how anyone to the right of David Cameron is the incarnation of evil and implying that anyone who supports right wing policies is either corrupt, stupid or ignorant.
Not from me.

quote:
Bibliophile: Any yet when a right winger says some unflattering things about lefty thinking you assume its a wind up.
It depends which standards you want to set for yourself. "Someone said that Cameron is evil, so I can do the same with the left wing" isn't a particularly high one.

quote:
quote:
Bibliophile: Any yet when a right winger says some unflattering things about lefty thinking you assume its a wind up.
It depends which standards you want to set for yourself. "Someone said that Cameron is evil, so I can do the same with the left wing" isn't a particularly high one.
Except that's not what I'm doing. I'm giving my honest opinions.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

You should have no problem linking to an example then.
A couple of examples here

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00003330

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00014333

quote:
Bibliophile: Except that's not what I'm doing. I'm giving my honest opinions.
And stupid ones at that. I guess that whether you're sincere or not about what you are saying here becomes a rhetorical question rather fast. Let me just say that I doubt it, and that playing childish games seems to be a more important motivator for you. What I can say is that I haven't seen evidence of any ability to analyse complex situations like the end of apartheid or Franco's regime, and also that I'm not convinced of your concern for the victims of various ideologies. The latter reason is why I called you here.

quote:
quote:

I never find your posts difficult to comprehend Sioni Sais. Often highly pompous yes, difficult to comprehend no.
Do you know, I'm getting to like you. Admittedly, it's in the way that I like some small, yappy dogs who have the gift of boundless energy. The downside is much the same as they too piss and crap all over the place.

quote:

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00003330

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00014333

Did you actually mistake posters for posts? While I'll be delighted to read mr cheesy on the Protevangelium of James, or lb discussing the best way to cure hiccoughs, that has nothing to do with either of them allegedly labelling people fascists.

Whether you're a fascist, a crypto-fascist, or just someone who likes the machismo of tight uniforms and shiny leather jackboots, rest assured you're at the top of my list for first go with the rusty farm implements.

Do better.

As it happens, I don't make a habit of calling people fascist. I think that describing IDS as a fascist is to misuse the term - there is quite a distance between being uncaring and slipping into fascism.

But I do honestly believe that Biblophile is a fascist. At very least he is an apologist for fascism, but I believe his fascination with the politics of the strong, of making apologies for those who protect their chosen "master races" whilst denigrating those labelled as unworthy is characteristic of fascists.

There is a dramatic difference between fascism and Marxism, in that fascism is in and of itself an ideology of the strong, seeking to retain and perpetuate their unearned plutocratic status. In contrast, Communism is an ideology of the mass and exploited workers, seeking to get what they deserve in a world which only wants to put them down.

Which is why fascism can never be apologised for, whereas Marxism has some noble ideals, albeit ones which are very rarely realised.

quote:
quote:

You can take her back, too. Call me when you send us someone --- what's the word? --- good.
Oh all right then. Rush. Need I say more?

Yes, you do. Pretentious, Ayn Rand idolators whose music goes from interesting though boring to Oh God, make it STOP! inside of one 3 minute track is the best you've got? A band which produces Bastile Day?
I thought I liked Canadians, but if this is what you give the world....

Bruce Cockburn. All is forgiven.

Nobody's mentioned Labatt's. Wasn't that meant to be dreck as well?

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Oh, aye, he'll do.

multi-national thermonuclear strike aborted

Posted by Snags (# 15351) on :

Bruce Cockburn and Theory of a Deadman (and my friend Todd) get Canada a lot of forgiveness in this quarter.

Yes. And the Mounties too of course.

quote:
quote:

Oh, aye, he'll do.

I guess this would be a bad time to bring up Anne Murray.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
quote:

Oh, aye, he'll do.

I guess this would be a bad time to bring up Anne Murray.
threat level Severe/DEFCON 2

Sorry, Saskatchewan.

quote:

Good point. We remain deeply in their debt.

quote:
As it happens, I don't make a habit of calling people fascist. I think that describing IDS as a fascist is to misuse the term - there is quite a distance between being uncaring and slipping into fascism.

But I do honestly believe that Biblophile is a fascist. At very least he is an apologist for fascism, but I believe his fascination with the politics of the strong, of making apologies for those who protect their chosen "master races" whilst denigrating those labelled as unworthy is characteristic of fascists.

There is a dramatic difference between fascism and Marxism, in that fascism is in and of itself an ideology of the strong, seeking to retain and perpetuate their unearned plutocratic status. In contrast, Communism is an ideology of the mass and exploited workers, seeking to get what they deserve in a world which only wants to put them down.

Which is why fascism can never be apologised for, whereas Marxism has some noble ideals, albeit ones which are very rarely realised.

Whatever

quote:
quote:

Whatever
Attention whore.

So. Kate and Anne McGarrigle?

I like Kobo Town. And Les Cowboys Fringants (does francophone Canada count here?)

quote:
Whatever

Devastating comeback.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bibliofool:
Whatever

Attention whore.
Insult to whores everywhere.
quote:

So. Kate and Anne McGarrigle?

Not my cuppa, but not abominations.

quote:
I like Kobo Town.

Now, we are talking.
quote:

And Les Cowboys Fringants (does francophone Canada count here?)

Je ne les connais pas, mais je les aime.*

*I did not know of them, but I like them.

quote:
quote:

Did you actually mistake posters for posts?

Do better.

There are quite a few examples of people saying unpleasant things about Conservatives, especially Thatcher and Cameron. Though, I'm not going to do his work for him by digging them out.

In virtually all cases, however, those are strongly worded criticisms of what individuals have done rather than who they are (akin to saying "Stalin was a bastard for sending millions of his people to gulags in Siberia" rather than "Stalin was a bastard for being a Communist"), and often those posts were here in Hell.

But a claim that there are people on the Ship who are antagonistic towards right wing politics would be undeniable. Raises a hand "I'm antagonistic towards right wing politics".

Ahem. Much as I like Canadian music (and in fact the music I last listened to this morning was Canadian), Hell is not really the place to be performing a series of reviews of everyone's preferred performers from there.

Ta.

Not even R. Dean Taylor?

quote:
orfeo: Hell is not really the place to be performing a series of reviews of everyone's preferred performers from there.
But mocking someone's French is OK? [Smile]

quote:
quote:

And Les Cowboys Fringants (does francophone Canada count here?)

Je ne les connais pas, mais je les aime.*

*I did not know of them, but I like them.

Connaissais.

(Alright, I'm not really mocking you; I appreciate the effort [Smile] )

Mocking is what we do around here. So long as all everything is translated into English as per Ship requirements, I don't think we'd have a problem with mocking someone for doing it badly.

Just be warned that I might start practising disparaging remarks in Danish. It's surprising some of the sentences the course chooses to use to illustrate new words...

[ 08. September 2015, 12:05: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Sorry, Saskatchewan.

For what? Saying it wrong? (everyone does)

1. It's a fun word to type.

2. It flowed well in the sentence

3. I dunno, it just seems like if Saskatchewan was a school kid, it would be the one always getting punched in the face. Kind of like Minnesota.

4. How do you say it right?

[ 12. September 2015, 08:19: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

No idea. My gut feeling wants to say SasKATchewan.

Same here, but I fully expect Nope to come laugh at us...

It's pronounced 'Chumley'.

Posted by Snags (# 15351) on :

Sass-ka-toon or similar unless my friend who comes from there is having me on.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
Sass-ka-toon or similar unless my friend who comes from there is having me on.

Saskatoon is the city; Saskatchewan is the province.

quote:
It's pronounced 'Chumley'.

You're a real funny gal, Firenze.

The inflection, NP! How does one manage the inflection!? I can't believe I slept a wink last night, so much was I worrying about this!

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised that whatever Saskatchewoonians and Minnesotianos we have on board have not not yet gathered to deliver mighty wrath unto me for those comments.

They are just too polite, don'tcha know.

This thread has gone to Hell. Anybody want a Mousethief Cooler or some hot cashews?

Posted by alienfromzog (# 5327) on :

quote:
This thread has gone to Hell. Anybody want a Mousethief Cooler or some hot cashews?

ME!

Mostly because I do not understand the last 20 or so posts at all.
[Confused]
AFZ

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

I googled chumley and laughed.

It is usual practice for threads like this to wither and die naturally, shrivelling like an untended office plant.

All you're doing is offering it false hope: the leaves are already brittle and brown, and the soil as barren as Bibliophile's soul. Just let the thread sink.

© Ship of Fools 2016