Thread: Is all scripture really free from error? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029924

Posted by Aristotle's Child (# 18498) on :

For those of us born prior to Vatican II (1964), we were taught that scripture was supposed to be free from all error. But the times may have have changed.

The papal guiding document we were taught was Pope Leo XIII’s Providentissimus deus of 1893 which told us that:

20. “Inspiration (was) Incompatible with Error”

“ For all the books which the Church receives as sacred and canonical, are written wholly and entirely, with all their parts, at the dictation of the Holy Ghost; and so far is it from being possible that any error can co-exist with inspiration, that inspiration not only is essentially incompatible with error, but excludes and rejects it as absolutely and necessarily as it is impossible that God Himself, the supreme Truth, can utter that which is not true."

"This is the ancient and unchanging faith of the Church, solemnly defined in the Councils of Florence and of Trent, and finally confirmed and more expressly formulated by the Council of the Vatican.”

This had been a constant teaching of the Catholic Church. Was it changed by Vatican II?

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

Hostly furry hat on
I... what?

Unless you can suggest a cogent reason this is in Hell within a reasonable timespan, I'm closing the thread.

DT
HH

Hostly furry hat off

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

I could transfer this to Dead Horses myself, but I'm high as a kite on paint fumes and will probably break all of the boards in the process.

Post the OP there (and not in Styx, n00b).

Thread closed.

DT
HH

© Ship of Fools 2016