Thread: Multiple posting on different sites Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030017

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Terribly sorry to bother you. I'm sure this has been discussed, or is being scrutinised as I type, in the H&A Lounge.

Question: Is there anything H&As would do if a Shipmate were to start, let's say, 3 threads nearly simultaneously on SoF, all of which were posted with exactly the same OP and/or thread title on 3, respectively 9, respectively 16 other websites in addition to the Ship?

I know the Ship has a laudable culture of taking people at face value, in the sense of Shippies generally trying to respond as honestly as they can, and often with real interest and considerable knowledge.

In the case of an event like I stated above, would such on-board threads just be allowed to run their course, until all's been said, and they 'naturally' peter out? (Which I certainly don't mind!) - What's the Ship's policy on this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yours, Worried from the Silly Isles

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

There is no explicit rule against such action. Indeed, when I had more time and posted on a few sites there were times when I was in discussion elsewhere and there was something I wanted to say that I had previously posted here, or something I wanted to say here I'd previously said elsewhere, and copied the text over. I never did it, but if I'd produced a well phrased OP that clearly expressed an idea I wished to discuss then it would not be unreasonable to post that in a couple of places to see how different groups of people think about it.

The question is one of intent. Which is not as easy to judge.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I think the only time it has come up before is when either someone has linked to a post of theirs elsewhere rather than engaging with the people on Ship of Fools, or when someone has been suspected of passing off other people's posts as there own.

I have personally copy pasted FB status updates to the USA chat thread, for instance-- the intent being, this is a great story that the Yankmates would probably love. So,yeah, intent makes a difference.

[ 02. October 2016, 23:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Thank you, Alan and Kelly.

PM sent to Alan with further query.

Posted by Teekeey Misha (# 18604) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
So,yeah, intent makes a difference.

That would [Biased] certainly be my concern if I were [Biased] to note on let's say [Biased] the three ummm... hypothetical [Biased] threads.

When
I'm minded to doubt the intention to engage. (Especially so when the author accuses his interlocutors of evading debate, and then doesn't answer their questions,ignores their posts and evades debate!)

Well as Alan said [Biased] , that is a judgement call. [Biased]

One of the factors in judgement might be, "Is this OP generating interesting comments from other people?"

Given the way you just addressed me, I'm loathe to admit this, but the quality of your posts, for instance, has made some folk hesitate to remove your inspiration. In other words, if the OP is bringing out the brilliant in folk, why disturb the process?

Posted by Teekeey Misha (# 18604) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
In other words, if the OP is bringing out the brilliant in folk, why disturb the process?

Oh, I don't think I'd want to "disturb the process" or "remove the inspiration".

I just think it ought to be made very clear when, perhaps, some posters might (allegedly) be behaving (on occasion) like complete wan... might be starting and posting on threads with (seemingly) absolutely no intention of engaging in debate, but solely to promote their own argument ad nauseam. I hope I might help to make it clear by taking on the offender (or attempting so to do) on the thread and by adding my two penn'orth on thread such as this.

Hell, I was an academic; nobody likes the sound of my voice more than I, and I live for the chance to stand up and show that everyone / anyone else is being a di... is being unreasonable.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

I'm not sure "bringing out the brilliant in folk" is a good excuse for breaking commandments. I've created many wonderful conversations by my commandment breakage, but I still got slapped and even suspended. Pity I didn't know about this rule back then. [Two face]

As Alan stated, there is no specific commandment governing posting duplicate material on various sites. As far as I can see, any other commandment violations have been handled responsibility by the Hosts and Admins.

Asked and answered.

Kelly Alves
Admin

© Ship of Fools 2016