Thread: ABC to solve easier problem... a fixed date for Easter Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030069

Posted by gog (# 15615) on :

According to the Independant the ABC wishes to have a fixed date for Easter and achieve this is the next 5 years?

So what to Shipmates think?

[edited thread title]

[ 21. January 2016, 16:38: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Personally I think the Indy has mixed up the story with the one about a common date between east and west, as reported here and I think already discussed on the ship (or my memory might be going)

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

Nope, I watched the press conference, it was definitely suggested that there should be a static date for Easter that everyone recognised.

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

If they come up with a fixed date I hope that we also get a fixed date for Passover, since the two are connected. Seems unlikely.

The strange thing is that there is no real biblical rationale for any dating of Easter other than fixing it to Passover. Which we don't really do even now.

I guess the other rationale would be to count the days back from Christmas, since counting forward from the imagined date of the crucifixion was apparently how December 25th was chosen. [Paranoid]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Well, if the ABC sets a date for Easter, I guess TEC won't have to participate since he doesn't consider us to be part of the family.

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

I agree with you Freddy ( [Yipee] ) The only reason that Easter is not celebrated at passover is because of antisemitism. Constantine said "Let us then have nothing in common with the detestable Jewish crowd; for we have received from our Saviour a different way."

I think it would be an excellent witness to the world, a gracious gesture to the Jews, if the church were to apologise for this kind of attitude and move the comemmoration of the death of Christ to Passover.

I'm wondering the extent to which secular authorities would have to be involved - clearly there is a whole load of Christianity which was not included in the discussion process revealed by the ABofC, but also I'm guessing that there must be some kind of secular tie to the dating of Easter by various countries.

Would it need a major rewrite of law?

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

I guess the other rationale would be to count the days back from Christmas, since counting forward from the imagined date of the crucifixion was apparently how December 25th was chosen. [Paranoid]

December 25th was chosen because it was Saturnalia.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I thought it was because it was the birthday of Sol Invictus (as well).

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I think it would be an excellent witness to the world, a gracious gesture to the Jews, if the church were to apologise for this kind of attitude and move the comemmoration of the death of Christ to Passover.

I agree with this.

Except that I'm wondering how strongly the Bible indicates that Jesus rose on a Sunday.

In any case, Easter would not take place on the Passover itself, but the day after. I think... [Confused]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I'd rather we leave things as is, instead of starting up new fights and divisions in the church-as-a-whole.

Besides, one of the good things about the weirdness of Easter dating is its very inefficiency. It does us good to have at least one major holiday dancing around the calendar and reminding us that the world is not a neat and efficient place, and we are not robots. And it does us good to learn to respect varying practices, East and West, and to enjoy one another's differences.

quote:
quote:

I agree with this.

Except that I'm wondering how strongly the Bible indicates that Jesus rose on a Sunday.

In any case, Easter would not take place on the Passover itself, but the day after. I think... [Confused]

Jesus was killed at Passover. He rose on the first day of the week, according to the Gospels, which is of course, Sunday.

He rose again on the third day - death on Friday (1st day), in the tomb on Saturday (2nd day), rose again on the Sunday (3rd day).

[ 15. January 2016, 17:21: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

Easter this year seems too early which means Lent arrives early this year, thus the Season after Epiphany is short.

I suspect that if a uniform date for Easter is decided, that it'll be somewhere in early April.

I like the variability of the Easter date, it adds a little flexibility in the liturgical year.

Posted by Albert Ross (# 3241) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I'm wondering the extent to which secular authorities would have to be involved - clearly there is a whole load of Christianity which was not included in the discussion process revealed by the ABofC, but also I'm guessing that there must be some kind of secular tie to the dating of Easter by various countries.

Would it need a major rewrite of law?

The UK government have already passed the Easter Act 1928

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'd rather we leave things as is, instead of starting up new fights and divisions in the church-as-a-whole.

Besides, one of the good things about the weirdness of Easter dating is its very inefficiency. It does us good to have at least one major holiday dancing around the calendar and reminding us that the world is not a neat and efficient place, and we are not robots. And it does us good to learn to respect varying practices, East and West, and to enjoy one another's differences.

Lamb Chopped, that gets three of these.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

But just think of the missional opportunities!!
The Church changes the date and people not only ask 'why' but also 'what is it?

What an opportunity to tell people about church unity and most of all about the atonement and the resurrection.

Many people still think Easter is Easter Bunnies and chocolate eggs - this would be a worldwide chance to tell them about Jesus!

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

Some of us with late February or early March birthdays (I'm March 5th) like that our birthdays don't always fall during Lent, and on some years even correspond with Fat Tuesday.

I'll note that the ABC isn't in that group. Coincidence? [Paranoid]

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:

Agreed on every count, especially the last one. Just imagine another schism in the Scottish churches... Oy vey. And some of us would never get used to celebrating Good Friday on a Tuesday, for example, if the calendar told us we had to.

FWIW, I think the ABofC was talking about having it in a specific week, not tied to a particular date. I apologise if I gave the wrong impression.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

So having overseen the start of a major split over homosexuality, he is now wanting to oversee another split over the data of Easter.

I am sure, if it is fixed, then some groups/churches will insist on retaining the "One True Original Date", and celebrate "When Jesus Did". So introducing more division.

Ever since I left Anglicanism, it has been trying to destroy itself. I am sure there is no connection.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

I believe March 25th was used by some parts of the Early Church.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Some of us with late February or early March birthdays (I'm March 5th) like that our birthdays don't always fall during Lent, and on some years even correspond with Fat Tuesday.

I'm also an early March baby, and I also enjoy sometimes having Shrove Tuesday or Ash Wednesday, sometimes being before Lent and sometimes during. My sister, with an April birthday, sometimes had Maundy Thursday or Good Friday, but also sometimes had Easter.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
The only reason that Easter is not celebrated at passover is because of antisemitism. Constantine said "Let us then have nothing in common with the detestable Jewish crowd; for we have received from our Saviour a different way."

It makes a change to blame Constantine for something other than establishing a state religion.

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

If they adopt March 25, they'll have to move the Feast of the Annunciation.

quote:

I don't know if this is a pious explanation made after the fact, but I have heard before that the theory is that Our Lord was both crucified and conceived on March 25th (the legend is that all holy persons die on the same day as their conception). Thus Our Lord's birth is December 25th, marking it 9 months after the conception.

Does anyone know the original source of this legend?

Posted by Demas (# 24) on :

I don't understand. Surely this isn't serious?

Is the idea that the Anglican Communion and the RCC pick a new method for determining Easter and the rest of Christianity/the Church are just along for the ride?

Wouldn't this need some sort of council in the RCC? I assume the Pope couldn't do it alone.

What about the Southern Baptists, to pick a group at random? Are they going to meekly change their dates because the ABC has convinced the Pope that it is a good idea?

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Demas:

Is the idea that the Anglican Communion and the RCC pick a new method for determining Easter and the rest of Christianity/the Church are just along for the ride?

Wouldn't this need some sort of council in the RCC? I assume the Pope couldn't do it alone.

Why do they need the same Easter? Christmas day is on different days in different parts of the world. Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas day on or near January 7th.

quote:

What about the Southern Baptists, to pick a group at random? Are they going to meekly change their dates because the ABC has convinced the Pope that it is a good idea?

The Americans did change the date of Daylight Savings Time a few years ago and everyone followed suit.

It might actually be easier to do than we may presume. As far as I know, the tradition of having Easter after the first full moon of the Spring Equinox is not anything more than a convention. There is nothing "Scriptural" about the particular date.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Why do they need the same Easter? Christmas day is on different days in different parts of the world. Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas day on or near January 7th.

Orthodox celebrate Christmas on the 25 December, they just disagree what day that is [Smile]

But seriously, for the sake of some convenience we are going to deliberately break a hard won near consensus on the date of Christianity's most holy celebration?

It's delusional.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Stupid man - who does he think he is?

I love the fact that the Christian faith does not get accomodated in our man-made obsession with time but takes us out of time.

Posted by Jack o' the Green (# 11091) on :

quote:
quote:

And because it was 9 months later than the feast of the Annunciation on March 25th.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

Surely that is the other way round - the Annunciation being calculated from the date of Christmas?

Then there is the fiction of the Spring Full Moon being an actual observable in the sky Full Moon, instead of a calculated by tables in the back of the Prayer Book Paschal Full Moon. Isn't there?

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Surely that is the other way round - the Annunciation being calculated from the date of Christmas?

Apparently not.

Posted by Mark Wuntoo (# 5673) on :

A fixed date? Yes, please. Somewhere in the middle of April. Three & a half months from the start of term and three and a half months before the summer holidays.

Posted by Chapelhead (# 21) on :

Surely we need a focus group to consider this sort of thing?

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
As far as I know, the tradition of having Easter after the first full moon of the Spring Equinox is not anything more than a convention. There is nothing "Scriptural" about the particular date.

Have you tried changing something minor like the time of the services, or moving the pews? Anything the church has done since the older member can remember is at least as binding as scripture.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

If they adopt March 25, they'll have to move the Feast of the Annunciation.
Not necessarily. I remember reading once that the Feast of the Anunciation was chosen to coincide with the Crucifixion. It was a Jewish belief that righteous men died on the anniversary of their conception. Early scholars calculated that the most likely date of the Crucifixion was March 25th.

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

I believe that the idea was that his earthly life started (in the womb) on the same day that he began his new life (the resurrection) - hence the Annuciation and Easter fell on the same date. There are calculations for the likely date, in modern calendars, of Jesus' crucifixion, depending on which year it happened (Luke is fairly precise about when Jesus' ministry started, even if not all his dates line up). So it could be possible to choose a particular Sunday as closest to that date.

I still expect to see pigs fly past the window before there is an agreed fixed date for Easter - which might mean that I need to take up shooting to get my bacon sandwich for Easter morning.

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

Ooooooh, nope, it huuurts....aagggghhhhh.....must not..........ah bugger....... I told you so*.

Sorry, I just couldn't keep that in.

*about a month ago if memory serves.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

quote:

...except that it wasn't. Saturnalia was celebrated from December 17 through 23.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I thought it was because it was the birthday of Sol Invictus (as well).

...and Sol Invictus was invented after the birth of Christianity.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
quote:

I don't know if this is a pious explanation made after the fact, but I have heard before that the theory is that Our Lord was both crucified and conceived on March 25th (the legend is that all holy persons die on the same day as their conception). Thus Our Lord's birth is December 25th, marking it 9 months after the conception.

Does anyone know the original source of this legend?

Wikipedia is such a great resource.
quote:
It was a traditional Jewish belief that great men lived a whole number of years, without fractions, so that Jesus was considered to have been conceived on March 25, as he died on March 25, which was calculated to have coincided with 14 Nisan.[86] Sextus Julius Africanus (c. 160 – c. 240) gave March 25 as the day of creation and of the conception of Jesus.[87] In his work Adversus Haereses, Irenaeus (c. 130–202) identified the conception of Jesus as March 25 and linked it to the crucifixion at the time of the equinox, with the birth of Jesus nine months after on December 25 at the time of the solstice
So that explains it. [Biased]

Posted by Aravis (# 13824) on :

There we go. Let's have the first Sunday on or after March 25th. I'm all for it. [Smile]

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

The only advantage I see is that a fixed date for Easter might convinced my employer to put the spring holiday at Easter again so I wouldn't be working during Holy Week.

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

The bbc news site was reporting that the Vatican had formally announced it would be willing to go for a fixed date for easter, subject to the agreement of other churches and negotiations with national governments, some years ago.

It seems unnecessary to me, but I don`t think it is harmful.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

Lamb Chopped, that gets three of these.

And three more.

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The only advantage I see is that a fixed date for Easter might convinced my employer to put the spring holiday at Easter again so I wouldn't be working during Holy Week.

Unlikely - they tend to prefer giving a holiday during the Easter octave. When they mucked around with school holidays, we had to work up to Maundy Thursday and even have a stafff meeting in the evening - Chrism mass, Mass of the last Supper etc. meant nothing to them - they couldn't see what the fuss was about as, 'after all, you've got Easter off.'

Posted by Mockingbird (# 5818) on :

quote:
The only reason that Easter is not celebrated at passover is because of antisemitism.

Gregorian Easter is always at passover. It is the Rabbinic feast of Unleavened Bread that is sometimes not celebrated at passover, as for example this year, the Rabbinic calendar designates as Nisan what ought to be the month of Iyar.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
The only reason that Easter is not celebrated at passover is because of antisemitism.

I presume you have evidence for this rather outrageous claim?

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

Sadly I am rapidly losing any respect for Welby. With so many issues that make a difference to the world and to the church, he wants to spend time and money on fixing something that isn't broken?

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

Uh, no.

Hate to tell this to you lot who think guys in pointy hats can make these decisions but like it or not, it would be government who would decide if this holiday should be fixed.

One in particular to be honest.

AND, when that happens, dollars to donuts Good Friday loses its statutory holiday status and the holiday becomes the Monday.

We live in a non-Christian world. No way a dude in Rome and a Dude in England and a Dude somewhere east of there get to decide when a few billion people take a holiday.

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Sadly I am rapidly losing any respect for Welby.

I think he is a good theological leader, so a senior Bishopric is perfect. I think he is a little out of his depth as ABC. I suspect that the job is out of anyone's depth, but he is not doing well.

I have respect for him as a person, as a theologian, but as the leader of the CofE and the Anglican Communion, no.

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

quote:
If they come up with a fixed date I hope that we also get a fixed date for Passover, since the two are connected. Seems unlikely.

Passover is on a fixed date, it's just according to the Hebrew calendar. [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
quote:

Passover is on a fixed date, it's just according to the Hebrew calendar. [Biased]
Right—Passover starts on 15 Nisan. And since months in the Hebrew calendar are designed to coincide with the phases of the moon, 15 Nisan should always be on (or almost on) the full moon. Hence making Easter the Sunday after the full moon.

Posted by Philip Charles (# 618) on :

The reason that the western Easter does not always match the Passover is that Christians are better astronomers than the Jews. Just look for the full moon during holy week.

Posted by Galilit (# 16470) on :

I thought these meetings were about standardising Easter across the Eastern and Western churches or calendars rather than giving it a fixed day-of-the-year type date.

I like the way it changes with the moon.
But then, I like the way anything changes with the moon...

Pessach/Passover is the "nail" in the Jewish calendar and everything is calculated from that. To maintain the Holiday on the first full moon of Spring (the ancient Hebrew calendar month of Aviv, the modern Hebrew calendar month of Nissan) adjustments are made to the calendar every few years (according to a very erratic formula) by adding a second month of Adar at the end of winter.

Ramadan does not start till the actual physical sighting of the New Moon over Makkah - so it's sometimes delayed a day...

And of course in large swathes of the Orthodox Church, it's calculated from an artificial date that once was on the Equinox but has slipped by 13 days in the intervening centuries due to the imperfections of the Julian calendar and the stubborn refusal to use the more astronomically defensible Gregorian calendar. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Uh, no.

Hate to tell this to you lot who think guys in pointy hats can make these decisions but like it or not, it would be government who would decide if this holiday should be fixed.

One in particular to be honest.

AND, when that happens, dollars to donuts Good Friday loses its statutory holiday status and the holiday becomes the Monday.

We live in a non-Christian world. No way a dude in Rome and a Dude in England and a Dude somewhere east of there get to decide when a few billion people take a holiday.

The only governments that can set holidays for 'a few billion people" are China (1.4 bn people) and India (1.3 bn). The PRC is unlikely to care and in India it seems as if Christian holy days are decided at state rather than national level. I'm guessing that the UN isn't about to decree international holidays?

Enough pedantry for a moment. England and Wales have four of eight Bank Holidays based on a Christian feast (Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Good Friday and Easter Monday), though only two are on Christian feasts (assuming that St Stephen is not considered a major feast). The former Whitsun (Pentecost) holiday became fixed on the last Monday in May in the 1970s. The other three (New Year's Day, May Day, Late Summer) have no religious connection.

Despite this, we still celebrate Pentecost and other feasts without a bank holiday to help us. Losing bank holidays at Easter would cause a row but it would not affect the Christian celebration of those days. Only the Good Friday observances at 3.00 in the afternoon would be affected by people still being at work - but it's a very long time (if ever, considering the emergency services) since everyone had the day off on Good Friday or any Bank Holiday here. Apart from our sense of importance, there would be no harm done if Easter was no longer supported by public holidays.

(YMMV in Scotland and N Ireland, of course)

If the US wants Easter to stay on a certain day, it will stay on a certain day. Business runs on US schedules still.

Until then, this discussion means nothing.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I've heard commerce call for a fixed date for Easter sometimes, so that they can plan their sales better. It makes me think "Let them have it. Let them have a fixed date for their eggs and bunnies and bullshit, and we'll continue celebrating Christ's resurrection on our moving date."

quote:
If the US wants Easter to stay on a certain day, it will stay on a certain day. Business runs on US schedules still.

You mean you really think that Christians will change when they celebrate Easter to something decreed by the government? Ever?

A lot of Christians are going to be unhappy if their government changes the date of the Easter holidays on the basis that the Pope, Coptic Pope and English Pope, sorry, ABC, get together and declare it is a good idea (TM).

Ecumenical doesn't mean the Orthodox, Catholic and Anglicans get together. Will anyone be asking the opinion of the Southern Baptists? The Quakers? Any of the Reformed churches? Lutherans? If so, how? A big ecumenical council? That'd be fun.

There is simply no single or group authority to make this change for the billion Christians in the world and I find it bizarre that anyone would want to go through the effort.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
And of course in large swathes of the Orthodox Church, it's calculated from an artificial date that once was on the Equinox but has slipped by 13 days in the intervening centuries due to the imperfections of the Julian calendar and the stubborn refusal to use the more astronomically defensible Gregorian calendar.

Gregorian calendar is named after Bishop of Rome. Is Jesuit plot. If use Gregorian calendar next thing you know you use lightbulbs in church.

quote:

If you think the US government would TOUCH the idea of establishing a date for a religious holiday, [Killing me]

The beauty of it is, Easter is on a Sunday, so PC-types can ignore the whole thing out of existence. Unlike Christmas, which so inconsiderately falls during the week most years, forcing various shenanigans as people try to pretend they're giving you time off for some other reason.

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

I think he is a good theological leader, so a senior Bishopric is perfect. I think he is a little out of his depth as ABC. I suspect that the job is out of anyone's depth, but he is not doing well.

I have respect for him as a person, as a theologian, but as the leader of the CofE and the Anglican Communion, no.

Interested to hear you say this SC. Can you point me to anything good he's written?

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I've heard commerce call for a fixed date for Easter sometimes, so that they can plan their sales better. It makes me think "Let them have it. Let them have a fixed date for their eggs and bunnies and bullshit, and we'll continue celebrating Christ's resurrection on our moving date."

Hmm. You said nearly the exact same thing last October. I was struck then as now by your use of such an oddly non-specific term - not a particular company or even industry, but "commerce."

Can you describe the form in which "commerce's" call manifested itself?

It seems an odd thing for "commerce" to care about - the argument about planning sales doesn't make much sense, since the calculations for determining the dates in any year are fairly straightforward, if tedious.

quote:
Nope, I watched the press conference, it was definitely suggested that there should be a static date for Easter that everyone recognised.

Did Welby himself use the word "static"?

quote:
Passover is on a fixed date, it's just according to the Hebrew calendar.

And Easter is already on a fixed Sunday. It is always the third Sunday in (Gregorian) Nisan. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
Pessach/Passover is the "nail" in the Jewish calendar and everything is calculated from that. To maintain the Holiday on the first full moon of Spring (the ancient Hebrew calendar month of Aviv, the modern Hebrew calendar month of Nissan) adjustments are made to the calendar every few years (according to a very erratic formula) by adding a second month of Adar at the end of winter.

There is nothing "erratic" in the formula. Intercalations are always in the 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 19th years of the Rabbinic cycle, which correspond respectively to the 6th, 9th, 11th, 14th, 1st, and 3rd years of the (Western) Christian cycle. The Rabbinic calendar has an implied equinox that is a few days late, however, so in 3 years out of every 19 (the 3rd, 11th, and 14th years of the western Christian cycle) the Rabbinic calendar sets the full moon of Nisan to the second full moon of Spring.

quote:
Originally posted by mouse thief:
And of course in large swathes of the Orthodox Church, it's calculated from an artificial date that once was on the Equinox but has slipped by 13 days in the intervening centuries due to the imperfections of the Julian calendar and the stubborn refusal to use the more astronomically defensible Gregorian calendar. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

And the 13-day solar discrepancy isn't even the worst of it. The four-day lunar discrepancy is even more obvious:

comparison

quote:
Originally posted by Mockingbird:
quote:

And Easter is already on a fixed Sunday. It is always the third Sunday in (Gregorian) Nisan. [Smile]
"Fixed Sunday" and "fixed date" are mutually incompatible.

quote:
quote:

If you think the US government would TOUCH the idea of establishing a date for a religious holiday, [Killing me]

The beauty of it is, Easter is on a Sunday, so PC-types can ignore the whole thing out of existence. Unlike Christmas, which so inconsiderately falls during the week most years, forcing various shenanigans as people try to pretend they're giving you time off for some other reason.

There is no federal holiday related to Easter in the United States. As noted, Easter is always on a Sunday, so federal offices, including the post office, are closed anyway. Neither Good Friday nor Easter Monday are federal holidays.

It is states that declare a Good Friday a public holiday, which means state offices will be closed. My own state was the last to do so, around 25 years ago. Before that, we were the only state to observe Easter Monday instead of Good Friday.

Meanwhile, bank and business holidays in the U.S. are set by the private sector, with each bank or business deciding on its own which days to close and give its employees off.

So, there's no reason for Congress to spend a second hinting about the date of Easter. And if the date of Easter were somehow to change, U.S. federal law would not be affected at all.

quote:
quote:
quote:

In the Gregorian calendar, Passover is the 14th of (Gregorian) Nisan, and Easter is the following Sunday. This year, 2016, Gregorian Passover is Wednesday, March 23rd, and Easter is the following Sunday, March 27th. Are you saying that there is an incompatibility between a fixed date in the second week of a month and a fixed weekday in the same month's third week?

quote:
Intercalations are always in the 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 19th years of the Rabbinic cycle, which correspond respectively to the 6th, 9th, 11th, 14th, 1st, and 3rd years of the (Western) Christian cycle.

Filling in which Western Christian year corresponds to the Rabbinic 14th year is left as an exercise for the reader. [Smile]

[ 17. January 2016, 21:41: Message edited by: Mockingbird ]

(Can a host fix the subject line? I'm assuming that the word "easier" was intended. Thank you!)

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In the Gregorian calendar, Passover is the 14th of (Gregorian) Nisan, and Easter is the following Sunday. This year, 2016, Gregorian Passover is Wednesday, March 23rd, and Easter is the following Sunday, March 27th. Are you saying that there is an incompatibility between a fixed date in the second week of a month and a fixed weekday in the same month's third week?
"Fixed date" means the date is fixed. Not which Sunday. The date. is fixed. Christmas falls on a fixed date: December 25. In the Christian calendar, the Annunciation falls on a fixed date: March 25. Easter is not a fixed date; it always falls on a Sunday, and based on a weird system.

But let's move out of religious stuff for a moment and see if it helps. In much of the world, Labor Day is the first of May: a fixed date. In the United States, on the other hand, Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday of September. That is not a fixed date; it could be anywhere from the 1st to the 7th of the month. Our election day is the day after the first Monday of November. That is not a fixed date; it could be anywhere from the 2nd to the 8th of the month. Independence Day, on the other hand, is always on July 4: a fixed date.

Thus I say "fixed date" and "fixed Sunday" are mutually exclusive. If the date is fixed, it will only fall on a Sunday every 6th year or so.

quote:

Thus I say "fixed date" and "fixed Sunday" are mutually exclusive. If the date is fixed, it will only fall on a Sunday every 6th year or so.

Then why did you say this in response to a post that never said otherwise?

I thought this thread was about someone setting a "fixed date" for Easter. You said it was on a "Fixed Sunday" but that's not what the OP was calling for or suggesting, so what you were saying was out of step with the title of the thread, so I pointed that out. Saying Easter is on a fixed Sunday (which it already is, sort of -- very strange way of fixing a Sunday but hey there you go) is not the same as saying it's on a fixed date.

There was a great deal of discussion about, say, the US government fixing a DATE for Easter (as if that would ever happen -- that has been soundly dismissed by Nick Tamen.

So that's what I said what I said when I said it.

[ETA: Sorry, so that's WHY I said what I said when I said it.]

[ 17. January 2016, 22:59: Message edited by: mousethief ]

quote:
I thought this thread was about someone setting a "fixed date" for Easter. You said it was on a "Fixed Sunday" but that's not what the OP was calling for or suggesting

The OP was asking for discussion on Archbishop Welby's statement. The only direct quote from Archbishop Welby I have yet found is in this article in The Guardian, which can be taken as referring to either a fixed date or a fixed Sunday:

quote:
“Pope Tawadros has put forward the idea to churches in the eastern tradition and the western tradition that it be fixed somewhere around the second or third Sunday of April and we will certainly be joining in. We have agreed that we support that,” Welby said.
Also, the possibility of a fixed Sunday being Welby's solution was introduced into this thread above by Rev per minute and by Albert Ross's reference to the statute of 1928.

That is why I wrote what I wrote.

I think we understand each other now.

But seriously the problem is not so much a fixed date or fixed Sunday for Easter. The Orthodox have a fixed Sunday. The RCC and those who follow its calendar (virtually all Protestants) have a fixed Sunday. The Copts & those who follow their calendar (Armenians and Ethiopians, if I'm not mistaken) have a fixed Sunday. But we don't all have the SAME fixed Sunday. So the thread title might more accurately be "... a common date for Easter."

[ 17. January 2016, 23:32: Message edited by: mousethief ]

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
So the thread title might more accurately be "... a common date for Easter."

It would be a good thing if we all celebrated Easter at the same time. (Although if we're going to do that, we should probably agree on a common Christmas as well.)

It would be a convenient thing if Easter was rather more fixed with respect to our normal calendar, but that's only a mild convenience. In countries that have a school holiday over Easter, it's mildly awkward when the length of the spring term changes significantly. That aside, I'm not sure there are big gains to this.

Having Easter on a fixed date, and celebrating the resurrection on some random day of the week doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Having Easter on a fixed date, and celebrating the resurrection on some random day of the week doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

There is no way in Hell the Orthodox would sign off on that.

quote:

It would certainly be odd to have Maundy Monday and Good Tuesday.

[Disappointed]

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
It would certainly be odd to have Maundy Monday and Good Tuesday.

It was rather more the idea of Holy Saturday falling on a Sunday that was making my head explode.

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

Dafyd hilariously wrote:
"Gregorian calendar is named after Bishop of Rome. Is Jesuit plot. If use Gregorian calendar next thing you know you use lightbulbs in church."

I had a real LaughOutLoud when I read it. I'm working on a song for my choir called "I wonder as I wander when Easter will be..." Yes, Is Outrage.

quote:
A lot of Christians are going to be unhappy if their government changes the date of the Easter holidays on the basis that the Pope, Coptic Pope and English Pope, sorry, ABC, get together and declare it is a good idea (TM).

Ecumenical doesn't mean the Orthodox, Catholic and Anglicans get together. Will anyone be asking the opinion of the Southern Baptists? The Quakers? Any of the Reformed churches? Lutherans? If so, how? A big ecumenical council? That'd be fun.

There is simply no single or group authority to make this change for the billion Christians in the world and I find it bizarre that anyone would want to go through the effort.

They where asked back in 1997, I'm thinking this is ongoing response.

Posted by Oscar the Grouch (# 1916) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

I haven't seen any evidence for him being a "theologian". He's certainly not in the same category as Rowan Williams and there are plenty of others who have shown more theological nous than him. (Jeffrey John for a start!)

I find him a slippery bugger, who will say the things he thinks people want to hear, whilst carrying on his own agenda regardless. I also find it somewhat alarming that he appears to be re-introducing the aspects of the Anglican Covenant which were decisively rejected by so many (not least the C of E itself).

With regards to this specific issue, I must admit that my first impression was that this was being offered by Welby as a red herring, to distract from the farrago over TEC and "Those naughty gays".

It is somewhat alarming that there is such confusion between two different ideas:

a) All churches celebrating Easter at the same time
This would be brilliant if it were achieved. And although there are clearly difficulties in going forward on this, it is not beyond the bounds of expectations.

b) Easter being celebrated on some sort of "fixed" date (most likely the second Sunday in April).
Whilst I am sure that secular authorities would love this, I can see no theological or ecclesiastical rationale for such a radical break with the tradition of the Christian Church. Any attempt to move towards such a decision would surely result in MORE church schisms and disunity.

As I say, these are two different questions. Mixing them up doesn't help anyone.

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
(Can a host fix the subject line? I'm assuming that the word "easier" was intended. Thank you!)

Yes, that was what I first thought. But then I came across this thread just after the ABC's problems with the Dead Horse issue and assumed that fixing a date for Easter must be easier than fixing the DH issue.

Eventually I realised that the typo should read "Easter" rather than "easier". So yes, it does need fixing.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

hosting/

Up until now I for one have read the title word as "easier".

In the absence of agreement on what it should have said, it's staying in all its misspelled glory unless the OPer gives us a clue.

/hosting

quote:
I think we understand each other now.

But seriously the problem is not so much a fixed date or fixed Sunday for Easter. The Orthodox have a fixed Sunday. The RCC and those who follow its calendar (virtually all Protestants) have a fixed Sunday. The Copts & those who follow their calendar (Armenians and Ethiopians, if I'm not mistaken) have a fixed Sunday. But we don't all have the SAME fixed Sunday. So the thread title might more accurately be "... a common date for Easter."

I don't think there is any sense where any Christian group has a fixed Sunday for Easter given that it is calculated from the phases of the moon. The difference between those using the different calendars is that the calculation starts from a different point, and therefore gives a different answer.

It appears that what is being discussed is some way to fix Easter in a particular week of the year so that all Christians celebrate it on the same Sunday.

And before we get too carried away with saying what the Orthodox would or wouldn't allow, it probably needs restating that (according to Welby) the proposal comes from the Copts with support from the Orthodox Patriarch and the Pope.

Fairly obviously Easter will always have Good Friday on a Friday and Easter Sunday on a Sunday, so there will always be some variation in the date - however if agreed the variation will be only 6 days rather than the current 35 days (Western Calendar) plus any extra to account for the Gregorian calendar.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
hosting/

Up until now I for one have read the title word as "easier".

In the absence of agreement on what it should have said, it's staying in all its misspelled glory unless the OPer gives us a clue.

/hosting

With appropriate bowing and scrapping to the host [Overused]

Yes it should be "easier" - as was said easier than the DH issue...

Joy of working in 2nd language.

hosting/

Glad to have been proved right, I have rushed to correct the typo in the title.

/hosting

quote:
And before we get too carried away with saying what the Orthodox would or wouldn't allow, it probably needs restating that (according to Welby) the proposal comes from the Copts with support from the Orthodox Patriarch and the Pope.

I assume you mean the Ecumenical Patriarch. We have a lot of patriarchs.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
So, there's no reason for Congress to spend a second hinting about the date of Easter. And if the date of Easter were somehow to change, U.S. federal law would not be affected at all.

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed Good Friday was a Federal Holiday.

State by state discussion of that could be interesting in a "are they really going to change things cause the Pope, some now not involving Americans guy in England and a guy in a beard somewhere in Greece think its a good idea" way.

And if there is no state consensus, then this ain't changing.

Bishop Nazir-Ali doesn't like the idea of scrapping the lunar computation:

Article here.

quote:

Article here.

I agree with him.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed Good Friday was a Federal Holiday.

State by state discussion of that could be interesting in a "are they really going to change things cause the Pope, some now not involving Americans guy in England and a guy in a beard somewhere in Greece think its a good idea" way.

And if there is no state consensus, then this ain't changing.

I don't see why American states would present an obstacle. Wikipedia lists twelve states in which Good Friday is a holiday; the Illinois statute specifies "the Friday preceding Easter Sunday (Good Friday)" and the Florida statute just says "Good Friday". I haven't checked the others, but I suspect they're similar; I doubt that any of them have incorporated a specific method for determining the date of Easter. As long as religious leaders keep the definition of Good Friday as "the Friday before Easter Sunday" I don't think that setting the date of Easter as the second or third Sunday in April (as Welby has suggested) would require the states to make any statutory changes at all.

Posted by Oscar the Grouch (# 1916) on :

quote:
quote:

Article here.

I agree with him.
So do I. Now that's unsettling!

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:
quote:

Article here.

I agree with him.
So do I. Now that's unsettling!
Likewise, and likewise.

quote:
quote:

Article here.

I agree with him.
So do I - probably the only time I'll ever agree with him.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I find I'm in agreement with + Nazir-Ali [Killing me] [Waterworks]

Posted by Rocinante (# 18541) on :

By all means keep the process for dating the religious festival, if we must - but why not move the school and public holidays to fixed dates? That would result in sensible length school terms, unlike this year, for example, when the spring term is ridiculously short and the summer term will be tediously long.

It might even result in improved church attendance on Easter Day - With it being a 4 day weekend, and the kids on holiday, younger members are more likely to be on a beach somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
By all means keep the process for dating the religious festival, if we must - but why not move the school and public holidays to fixed dates? That would result in sensible length school terms,

In the Uk we have already fixed the school term/holiday dates so as to equalise the length of terms.

So I can't see what the fuss is about and certainly don't think Welby can oveturn the Council fof Nicea in his arrogance.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
By all means keep the process for dating the religious festival, if we must - but why not move the school and public holidays to fixed dates? That would result in sensible length school terms,

In the Uk we have already fixed the school term/holiday dates so as to equalise the length of terms.

So I can't see what the fuss is about and certainly don't think Welby can oveturn the Council fof Nicea in his arrogance.

?? They may be equal where you live, but round here the spring term is 53 days long and the summer term 68 days. Obviously if Easter is early this will happen as under current arrangements the school holidays are pegged to the religious festival. There is some leeway to keep things more even by having Easter itself at the beginning or end of the holiday but as Easter Day can fall at any time between March 22nd and April 25th, keeping terms equal in length would mean starting the school holiday 2 weeks after Easter in some years. Personally I don't have a problem with this. Many People nowadays - including some churchgoers IME - have only the haziest idea of what Easter is, perhaps this is because they are always on holiday at Easter?

So maybe they should look at their diaries.

Why should the Church yesr, fixed at the council of Nicea, acommodate itselef to to Easter bunnies?

Most school calenders remain the same but give two bank holidays for Good Fiday and Easter Monday only.

quote:
So maybe they should look at their diaries.

They do, and then they say "oh look we've got four days off and Junior's on holiday, let's go to Cornwall"

Posted by Signaller (# 17495) on :

quote:
Most school calenders remain the same but give two bank holidays for Good Fiday and Easter Monday only.

That must be specific to your locality. Round here (London) I've never known Easter to fall outside the school holidays.

Posted by Chesterbelloc (# 3128) on :

'Tain't happening.

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
'Tain't happening.

"separated Eastern Christians"
[Roll Eyes] [Disappointed]

You like "schismatics" better?

quote:
'Tain't happening.

Hooray for that.

quote:

I am quite capable of saying "Western Christians" without mentioning anything about our relationship with them. I can say "Catholics" without calling them schismatics. Are Catholics incapable of this feat of semantic legerdemain?

quote:

Chesterbelloc, which lot are the schismatics here? Calling the whole of the Protestant side of the Reformation names, we are used to and not surprised about. But writing off all the churches that are linked to the other four Patriarchs as schismatics as well is a bit too far. Looking at the events of the 1050s, it's easy to spot the schisms but it's more than a bit difficult to spot which side count as the schismatics.

Ooh, ooh, me, please! Can I be a schismatic? It just has that zip to it. And I bet if I put it on my resume, fully half my readers wouldn't have the first clue what it meant. "But it sounds so impressive!"

quote:

Why should the Church yesr, fixed at the council of Nicea, acommodate itselef to to Easter bunnies?

Precisely. Man was made for the liturgical calendar, not the liturgical calendar for man ...

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

quote:
quote:

Precisely. Man was made for the liturgical calendar, not the liturgical calendar for man ...
Or bunnies.

Re the schismatics thing.

The source of that news item I posted was a Trad. conservative (some would say reactionary) Catholic site, which nonetheless usually shows a great deal of respect for the Churches of the East not under the See of Peter. In this case as in many others, there was no criticism of the conduct of the Orthodox - if anything, it implied praise. For them, separated is a politer term than schismatic, which latter would nonetheless be an accurate (if inflammatory) description from a Roman point of view - and the website is by and primarily for Roman Catholics. "Separated Christians" is a softer alternative from a site that you might expect to have been blunter.

To be honest, separated is just a statement of fact - such Churches are, by the fact of their not being in communion with Rome, separated from the Roman Catholic Church. Just as we are separated from them; we can agree on that regardless of who we each think is to blame for that. Really, we don't mind being described as such by the Orthodox. Most Orthodox worldwide would probably consider Romans as schismatics at best - not even a church or Christian at worst.

So it goes. Better to be honest - no hard feelings. Better too, surely, not to strain at gnats.

quote:
Better too, surely, not to strain at gnats.

So easy to tell OTHERS not to strain at gnats. "Here let me remove that gnat from your eye."

quote:

Whereas Man was made for the business convenience of head teachers, retail CEOs and the proprietors of holiday lets.

[ 30. January 2016, 18:48: Message edited by: Enoch ]

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

Whereas everyone knows that all Christian denominations are in fact schismatics from the Anglican Communion. That includes the Anglican Communion.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Whereas everyone knows that all Christian denominations are in fact schismatics from the Anglican Communion. That includes the Anglican Communion.

Especially us Episcopalians in the U.S.

quote:
quote:
Better too, surely, not to strain at gnats.

So easy to tell OTHERS not to strain at gnats. "Here let me remove that gnat from your eye."
Wait, shouldn't that be "First remove the camel from thine own gullet that thou mayest breathe clearly to remove the gnat from thy brother's"? Or, "Is that a plank in thy sieve, or art thou just grieved to see me?" What a speck-tacular cocktail of gospel fun.

[ 31. January 2016, 09:15: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

quote:
quote:

Whereas Man was made for the business convenience of head teachers, retail CEOs and the proprietors of holiday lets.
I take your point but I was mostly reacting against the idea that because the computation of Easter was decided by the Council of Nicaea, therefore it is immutable until the end of time itself and any change is a sign of arrogance.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I take your point but I was mostly reacting against the idea that because the computation of Easter was decided by the Council of Nicaea, therefore it is immutable until the end of time itself and any change is a sign of arrogance.
Immutable or not, the Nicene rule, in its Gregorian implementation, has held up pretty well. It is more accurate, 400 years after it was first set up, than the Julian version was at the corresponding point in its history.

The Gregorian implementation of the Nicene rule strikes a good balance between accuracy and ease of computation. Exact computations are needed only every few thousand years. Between those points, the tables can be reproduced anywhere from a few memorized facts using simple integer arithmetic.

Posted by Joesaphat (# 18493) on :

Sorry, posted this on the wrong thread, still bears repeating: it's funny how Abp. Welty and so many others don't mind not being 'biblical' on this matter. There's more precise and definite instructions on this than on the proper use of male genitalia, but hey...

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

IIRC, declaring what was to be the date for Easter was the annual task and privilege of the Patriarch of Alexandria. Perhaps this custom should be reinstated.

Posted by PaulTH* (# 320) on :

quote:

It would make perfect sense for all Christian churches join Easter with Passover, which too is a moveable feast. As well as being the right gesture of reconciliation with the Jews, it would end the argument between East and West as to whose calendar has bigger balls.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

It is beautiful and sunny today, a perfect day for Easter.

Christ has risen indeed!

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

More than EVER.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
quote:

It would make perfect sense for all Christian churches join Easter with Passover, which too is a moveable feast. As well as being the right gesture of reconciliation with the Jews
More likely Jewish people would be insulted - an appropriation of their festival.

quote:
quote:
quote:

It would make perfect sense for all Christian churches join Easter with Passover, which too is a moveable feast. As well as being the right gesture of reconciliation with the Jews
More likely Jewish people would be insulted - an appropriation of their festival.
I agree, plus we would then have the problem of whose chronology to follow - the Synoptic's or the Fourth Gospel's.

quote:
quote:

It would make perfect sense for all Christian churches join Easter with Passover, which too is a moveable feast. As well as being the right gesture of reconciliation with the Jews, it would end the argument between East and West as to whose calendar has bigger balls.
Are you proposing to put Easter always on the Sunday that falls within the Rabbinic Jewish calendar's week of Unleavened Bread? This would certainly work for a while, but the Rabbinic calendar has a slight solar drift that may eventually become a problem. This drift already causes Rabbinic Unleavened Bread to be in the lunar month after Easter in 3 years out of every 19.

Our (Gregorian) Easter is already within the week of Unleavened Bread by the Gregorian calendar. This year, 2016, Easter is Sunday, March 27 which is the 18th of Nisan in the Gregorian lunar calendar.

[ 27. March 2016, 15:06: Message edited by: Mockingbird ]

Posted by A Feminine Force (# 7812) on :

The formula is fixed I don't see what the problem is, except some businesspeople somewhere feel like they are losing a few pennies here or there for the inconvenience of calculating and planning personnel coverage for the date.

I feel like Christ would have been kicking these guys out of the Temple.

AFF

Posted by dyfrig (# 15) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

This encapsulates my puzzlement about this whole thing - was it a propsal to agree the calculation process, which makes some sense, or to fix an actusl weekend, which doesn't.

Was he trying to solve s problem nobody has? Or had he been listening a bit too.indulgently to his City friends?

Posted by HughWillRidmee (# 15614) on :

Why not have a fixed Easter for secular purposes and let everyone have whatever religious Easter they choose (assuming they want one at all)?

Seems to work for celebrating the alleged birth so why not for the alleged death?

quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
Why not have a fixed Easter for secular purposes [...]

What are the secular purposes of Easter, and why would they benefit from having a date different from the current one?

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
What are the secular purposes of Easter

Collecting plastic eggs and forcing people to dress up in rabbit costumes?

Well, the late Spring Bank Holiday has been detached from Whitsun for a goodly while, so there is precedent. Although logically that should also mean the two Dcember holidays should be detached from the 25 and 26 - perhaps put them around the last full weekend in December?

Easter could go on the second Sunday in April. That would be the tenth (pr occasionally 11th) Sunday after Candlemass. the churches could combine that with making Epiphany last till 2 Fb and restoring Septuagesima et al as a proper run up to Lent.

[Strange double posting event - not really worth your time reading the same post twice]

[ 28. March 2016, 07:44: Message edited by: dyfrig ]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
What are the secular purposes of Easter

Collecting plastic eggs and forcing people to dress up in rabbit costumes?
Going from the small people I have contact with, the answer is hats and parades thereof. Although my nephew's preschool has decided that Easter Hat Parade might be offensive and has dropped the problematic 'Easter' bit, leaving a somewhat strangely unmoored Hat Parade looking lonely by itself.

Posted by earrings (# 13306) on :

As I understand, it from the reports I have seen, this came not originally from the ABC but from Orthodox and Roman Catholic sources. The idea would be something like Easter as the second Sunday in April (or possibly the Sunday after the second Saturday, (so makes a difference if 1st April is a Sunday). The date would therefore fluctuate slightly between 8th and 15th April.
We would lose the connection with Passover most years and the "flexibility" of the church year, but would potentially gain a more ecumenically agreed date of Easter and eliminate the very short gap between Candlemas and Lent in years such as this. It's not something I'd go to the stake for either way but it's not entirely stupid, nor is it entirely the ABC's initiative.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
Why not have a fixed Easter for secular purposes and let everyone have whatever religious Easter they choose (assuming they want one at all)?

Seems to work for celebrating the alleged birth so why not for the alleged death?

It's baffling as to why the day on which Jesus died was moved around in the first place, for as you say His Birthday has been fixed.
OK He wasn't born on the 25th of December AFAWK, and similarly we do not know the exact date He was killed.
Maybe it was done to keep the Pagan moon-dancers happy.

I suppose if we want to stick to Easter falling on a Sunday then the date will still vary. No different from Bank Holidays thinking about it.

Posted by Cherubim (# 18514) on :

I would be very disappointed if there was a move to kow-tow to secularist convenience by making it a fixed date.

quote:
Originally posted by Cherubim:
I would be very disappointed if there was a move to kow-tow to secularist convenience by making it a fixed date.

What makes you think there's any consideration of "secular convenience" at all?

Posted by Joesaphat (# 18493) on :

Let me prophesy: agreeing on a fixed date will only achieve a further split between those who will hold fast to the moveable feast and those who do not.

Posted by Humble Servant (# 18391) on :

I heard the Bishop of Chelmsford speak on Good Friday about an ancient tradition that the crucifixion was on 25th March (as this year), on the feast of the annunciation. This, he said, is reason for the traditional image of Christ crucified on a lily - a Marian symbol.
So how about fixing the date as the 25th March going forwards. As with Christmas, if we're not hung up about linking it with Passover and sun and moon cycles, why should we worry about what day of the week it falls? Just go for the same day of the same month each year.

Humble Servant said

quote:
So how about fixing the date as the 25th March going forwards. As with Christmas, if we're not hung up about linking it with Passover and sun and moon cycles, why should we worry about what day of the week it falls? Just go for the same day of the same month each year.
Because Holy Week can still be a week even if it is roughly the same week each year.

The tradition of Jesus crucified on the day of his conception (as it were) makes for some creative theological reflection. I spoke on links between annunciation and crucifixion myself this year. But it ain't actually so given the annunciation is worked out from a Christmas date no one takes as actually the birthdate.

Holy Week needs to be a week in earlyish spring for new life resonance and to give shape to the church year. Its exact date is not a problem, but that it should be a week from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday is vital.

quote:
Originally posted by earrings:
Holy Week needs to be a week in earlyish spring for new life resonance and to give shape to the church year.

All the Christians south of the Tropic of Cancer called; they would like a word [Roll Eyes]

Eutychus

quote:
All the Christians south of the Tropic of Cancer called; they would like a word 
OUCH. Sorry [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by TomM (# 4618) on :

quote:
But it ain't actually so given the annunciation is worked out from a Christmas date no one takes as actually the birthdate.
[/QB]

Actually, that point is unproven. There is an equal case that it was arrived at the other way around - i.e. starting from the 25th March as the date of the crucifixion and applying the idea inherited from the classical world that Jesus should have been around a whole number of years (for perfection, you see), and thus must have been born 9 months later, and conceived on the day of his death.

quote:
The tradition of Jesus crucified on the day of his conception (as it were) makes for some creative theological reflection.

As does times when it falls on April Fools Day. Fools for Christ and all that.

quote:
Originally posted by Humble Servant:
So how about fixing the date as the 25th March going forwards.

Because that would usually result in Easter being in a day other than Sunday, and the one thing everyone does agree on, and has agreed on since around the First Council of Nicaea, is that Easter should always be celebrated on a Sunday.

quote:
As with Christmas, if we're not hung up about linking it with Passover and sun and moon cycles, why should we worry about what day of the week it falls?
But linking the date to Passover (albeit indirectly given various calendar issues) is still considered important. As for worrying about the day, it's all tied up with the significance of the resurrection having occurred on the First Day.

quote:
The tradition of Jesus crucified on the day of his conception (as it were) makes for some creative theological reflection. I spoke on links between annunciation and crucifixion myself this year. But it ain't actually so given the annunciation is worked out from a Christmas date no one takes as actually the birthdate.

Actually there's very good historical evidence that it goes the other way -- Christmas is on December 25 because the Annunciation was on March 25 because the passion was on (or about) March 25.

quote:

You can have whatever holidays you want. Who's stopping you?

[ 01. April 2016, 01:01: Message edited by: mousethief ]

More dissent:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433279/easter-calendar-changes-could-threaten-drain-it-meaning

http://christiancentury.org/blogs/archive/2016-03/dont-forget-moon

https://theconversation.com/fix-the-date-of-easter-the-venerable-bede-would-be-spinning-in-his-grave-54096

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

Has any RC official indicated that the RCC would be on board for this in any way? For that matter, what leaders in any denomination other than ++Welby have actually come out in support of it?

Posted by Eirenist (# 13343) on :

According to earlier posts, only the Pope, and the Ecumenical and Coptic Patriarchs, apparently.

On a related matter:

https://publicorthodoxy.org/2016/04/25/some-common-misperceptions-about-the-date-of-paschaeaster/

quote:
More dissent:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433279/easter-calendar-changes-could-threaten-drain-it-meaning

Surprisingly measured and balanced for something from the National Review.

© Ship of Fools 2016