Thread: Drone Warfare Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030108

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

Seems like we need a new thread on the inherent violence of drone warfare.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
The ethical problem with drones first and foremost is their combination of (theoretical) "as if you were there" performance and the physical remoteness of the operator to the theatre in which they are used. ...

How is this ethical problem any different from throwing a rock at somebody or launching a ballistic missile? Is there some warrior code that says combat should only take place within line of sight or arm's reach?
It is generally accepted that the more removed a person is from their actions, the more extreme those actions will be.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
The actions of a soldier in a firefight would be less extreme than those of a drone operator?

Besides, the people operating the drones do what they're ordered to do; the people giving the orders aren't any more removed from drone operations than they are from F-15E squadron operations.

quote:
You can get people to directly do nasty things to other people. But that generally requires training and/or exposure. Entering a building and killing all its occupants, targets and bystanders, is a very different thing than dropping a bomb on the same building even knowing there are probably non-combatants inside.
F-15 v. drone? The objection is that the pilot of a manned aircraft has more ownership of what they are doing than the operator of a drone. This makes sense from a psychological standpoint.
Following orders was not considered an excuse in the Nuremberg trials, though it has been accepted in some cases when those being tried/investigated have been on the same side as the investigators.

quote:
quote:
You can get people to directly do nasty things to other people. But that generally requires training and/or exposure. Entering a building and killing all its occupants, targets and bystanders, is a very different thing than dropping a bomb on the same building even knowing there are probably non-combatants inside.

It is - but if the last 15 years teach us anything, it's that the US has plenty of uniformed people ready, willing, and able to do the former; I doubt their greater closeness to the action improves the outcome for the targets.
quote:
F-15 v. drone? The objection is that the pilot of a manned aircraft has more ownership of what they are doing than the operator of a drone. This makes sense from a psychological standpoint.
I'm not convinced of your premise, but even if it were true, what point is this statement intended to support? That a pilot is less likely to carry out a mission than a drone operator? I think that unlikely.
quote:
Following orders was not considered an excuse in the Nuremberg trials, though it has been accepted in some cases when those being tried/investigated have been on the same side as the investigators.
My point was that those giving the orders aren't any more remote in the case of drones than in the case of F-15s, and I expect the orders would be carried out in either case; I don't believe either the pilots or drone operators would consider them war crimes. Do you think the drone strikes are more likely to be war crimes than the 1999 air attacks on Iraq in 1999 that I mentioned above?

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Arguably the soldiers more directly involved in the bloodiness of combat and seeing casualties on their own side are more likely to become brutalized, become part of a group seeing the "red mist" and may even more readily engage in atrocities. We were discussing Mỹ Lai earlier. Of course drone pilots can do bad things under orders, I think they are less likely to do bad things outside orders.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
quote:
originally posted by lilbuddha:

I'm not convinced of your premise, but even if it were true, what point is this statement intended to support? That a pilot is less likely to carry out a mission than a drone operator? I think that unlikely.

It is the premise being argued by those who consider drones more unethical, and I agree in principle, but not sure in practice. Given the ability to engage targets which one doesn't need to ever see, it may be not be the argument it once could have been. Still, a combat pilot is much more likely to see the damage done than a drone operator. And one is essentially there as opposed to sitting in an office thousands of mile away and going home for dinner.
quote:
Do you think the drone strikes are more likely to be war crimes than the 1999 air attacks on Iraq in 1999 that I mentioned above?
I think drone strikes are less likely to be catagorised as war crimes. "Oh bugger, we hit the wrong building/didn't realise non-combatants were present/had faulty intel, etc. Ooops." Yes, these can all happen with aircraft as well. But the perception of the process is different.

quote:
Arguably the soldiers more directly involved in the bloodiness of combat and seeing casualties on their own side are more likely to become brutalized, become part of a group seeing the "red mist" and may even more readily engage in atrocities. We were discussing Mỹ Lai earlier. Of course drone pilots can do bad things under orders, I think they are less likely to do bad things outside orders.

Combat troops are more likely to directly commit atrocities. But drone strikes are more likely to incur "collateral damage" and the public perception to them is not as severe as it is towards those who looked their victims in the face and killed them anyway.

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

I would rather there was no war. But if there is going to be a war it seems not unreasonable to regard deliberate killing of civilians as more culpable than collateral damage. (Even to a pacifist there's a difference between manslaughter and murder).

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
I would rather there was no war. But if there is going to be a war it seems not unreasonable to regard deliberate killing of civilians as more culpable than collateral damage. (Even to a pacifist there's a difference between manslaughter and murder).

Although if you exchange one brutalization of a civilian for a thousand civilians killed in "collateral damage", you probably didn't make an improvement.

quote:
Of course drone pilots can do bad things under orders, I think they are less likely to do bad things outside orders.

We have often discussed the usefulness of body cameras, vehicle cameras and so on in managing the behaviour of police officers, and we have discussed whether the cameras always give the whole context (assuming the cop doesn't shut it off.) Surely the drone operator is faced with the purest form of this - absolutely everything he sees is recorded. He has no "action off-camera" as he isn't there - every scrap of information available to him can be recorded and reviewed.

[ 02. May 2016, 17:11: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Yes. Although the capacity for group think to set in if the seniors communicate impunity is still there. Nothing is fool-proof but it still seems less likely to lead to red mist.

I'm not sure what limits the casualties from foot soldiers to single civilians vs thousands by drones?

[ 02. May 2016, 17:34: Message edited by: mdijon ]

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Although if you exchange one brutalization of a civilian for a thousand civilians killed in "collateral damage", you probably didn't make an improvement.
Yep.
quote:
quote:
Of course drone pilots can do bad things under orders, I think they are less likely to do bad things outside orders.

We have often discussed the usefulness of body cameras, vehicle cameras and so on in managing the behaviour of police officers, and we have discussed whether the cameras always give the whole context (assuming the cop doesn't shut it off.) Surely the drone operator is faced with the purest form of this - absolutely everything he sees is recorded. He has no "action off-camera" as he isn't there - every scrap of information available to him can be recorded and reviewed.
The difference being direct agency. No matter what was told him/her in the station and no matter by whom, the police officer is directly responsible for their actions. ]
A drone operator says "I didn't know that was a hospital, my superior gave me direction". Superior officer(s) say "Intel said it was a clean military target". Intelligence operatives say "My sources confirmed target". Sources are confidential and often nebulous. Not only is the chain less reliable to begin with, it gives multiple points of diffusion of responsibility.

Posted by GCabot (# 18074) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
quote:
originally posted by lilbuddha:

It is the premise being argued by those who consider drones more unethical, and I agree in principle, but not sure in practice. Given the ability to engage targets which one doesn't need to ever see, it may be not be the argument it once could have been. Still, a combat pilot is much more likely to see the damage done than a drone operator. And one is essentially there as opposed to sitting in an office thousands of mile away and going home for dinner.
This is not true in practice. One of the great benefits of drones is the ability to loiter due to a lack of human pilot (increased capacity for fuel and surveillance equipment, and no risk of pilot casualty). This means that a drone pilot will usually be “present” so to speak from the initial surveillance all the way to post-engagement damage assessment.

In contrast, with manned aircraft, the pilot will most likely only be receiving targeting orders from whichever separate personnel are conducting aerial/satellite reconnaissance. Likewise, these same personnel will be responsible for doing post-engagement analysis. Modern military aircraft are too specialized to serve both roles, and a pilot would never be put at risk by loitering needlessly above a combat zone.

Therefore, a drone pilot is actually much more likely to personally witness the consequences of their actions as opposed to the pilot of a manned airplane, if this is the concern.

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

It is my understanding that there is much less collateral damage using a drone than a manned aircraft (F15, for instance).

For one thing drones can stay on target for a much longer period of time. This allows for better intelligence and selection of targets. The military tries very hard to insure there will be no civilian casualties before a decision to launch weapons is made. Is it fool proof? No.

However a manned aircraft strike is a quick in and out. The pilots do not necessarily see their targets, they are directed to them by FAC's using laser pointers, or a drone painting the target with a laser. It is the laser they are focused on, not the target itself.

A drone weapons system can continue to stay on target to do continual assessment after the strike, but a manned aircraft is long gone after it launches its weapons.

Drone weapons are also much smaller in explosive size than, say a 500 lb bomb strapped under the wing of an F15. Once launched the drone weapons operator can guide the weapon up till impact. 500 lb bombs are usually dumb bombs with no guidance system. Once launched 500 lb bombs are on their own.

Moreover, with a drone there is no risk of losing a pilot from a shoot down or mechanical failure. ISIL has demonstrated what it will do with allied pilots if they are captured. I would much rather lose a drone than see a pilot burned to death.

Yes, I would much rather see no war, but in today's world that is impossible. I would much rather use modern technology to limit collateral damage as much as possible if we have to go to war.

quote:
Yes. Although the capacity for group think to set in if the seniors communicate impunity is still there. Nothing is fool-proof but it still seems less likely to lead to red mist.

quote:

I'm not sure what limits the casualties from foot soldiers to single civilians vs thousands by drones?

Ease. Ever done paintball? How long does it take you and your mates to kill the opposing team? Look at this spot in Sidecup. Think of a drone strike that could take out the near by repairer and a Tesco at the same time.

quote:
Originally posted by GCabot:

Therefore, a drone pilot is actually much more likely to personally witness the consequences of their actions as opposed to the pilot of a manned airplane, if this is the concern.

Viewing images on a telly is not personal. Not even close. And that is the main thrust of the point.

quote:
Ease. Ever done paintball? How long does it take you and your mates to kill the opposing team?

I know nothing about drone firepower. However I go back to Mỹ Lai. And many other massacres that could be recalled. The choices are not between one foot soldier with one bullet and drones.

Posted by chris stiles (# 12641) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
It is my understanding that there is much less collateral damage using a drone than a manned aircraft (F15, for instance).

It is hard to say, for a number of reasons - among them that all males of military age who die as a result of drone strikes are automatically classified as combatants of some kind.

Secondly there is the collateral damage done in terms of the psychological impact on populations in areas in which drones constantly loiter.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

If a drone pilot lived in a nice suburb in a nice home with children playing in the backyard, going into the office to computer control bombing missions, is he or she a fair war target while at home? Or in a park, at a store etc?

There is a strange asymmetry somewhere within I feel.

quote:
quote:

Viewing images on a telly is not personal. Not even close. And that is the main thrust of the point.
How exactly do you think a fighter/bomber pilot views target images?

quote:

Cockpit glass? Regardless, the issue regarding drones does not live or die on its dis/similarity to aircraft. It is an increase in depersonalisation and a diffusion of responsibility. Neither of which is a good thing in warfare decisions.

quote:
quote:

Cockpit glass? Regardless, the issue regarding drones does not live or die on its dis/similarity to aircraft. It is an increase in depersonalisation and a diffusion of responsibility. Neither of which is a good thing in warfare decisions.
My point was that there is little to no evidence to suggest any increase in depersonalization or diffusion of responsibility when comparing drones to manned aircraft—in fact, the opposite might very well be the case given their respective combat sequences. Now, if you want to compare drones to something like ground troops, then sure, there is an intellectual debate to be had regarding depersonalization and diffusion of personal responsibility, but that is really an apples-and-oranges comparison.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
quote:

As I understand it, drone pilots suffer from high stress levels and a notably high proportion develop mental health problems. The majority of drone pilots are not carefree killers who treat life as a computer game; the drone pilots who've spoken to the press about it say that what particularly causes stress is the awareness that what they're doing looks like a computer game but in fact the blurry images they're blowing up are real lives that they're taking.

How this should affect our assessment of the morality of drones I leave open. I'm inclined to think that, while mental health problems among drone pilots are clearly not of the same importance as civilian casualties, they are nevertheless a moral negative.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
My point was that there is little to no evidence to suggest any increase in depersonalization or diffusion of responsibility when comparing drones to manned aircraft

Nonsense. In an aircraft you're hurtling through the sky at altitude with noise and vibration, in theatre, with immediate potential enemy aggression plus simple technical faults liable to blow you out of the sky at any moment. You're there in a way you most definitely aren't if you're sitting in a bunker in Illinois or Middlesex with minimal immediate threat to your life.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:

War up close and personal?

That's what lead many to volunteer for WW1. Of those many a large proportion were mutilated with bullets or shrapnel without even seeing the enemy.
A land invasion of Japan in 45 would have been up close and personal, two atomic bombs saved a huge number of combatants from that exilerating experience.

If drones are effective at controlling and reducing the need for people to butcher each other en masse then there are justifiable. It all depends whose operating the joysticks, and for what reason I suppose.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

I don't see anything that makes drone warfare any more or less moral than any other kind. As I see it, it comes down to if you see war as ever being appropriate or not.

Posted by Hiro's Leap (# 12470) on :

quote:
The military tries very hard to insure there will be no civilian casualties before a decision to launch weapons is made.
[...]
I would much rather use modern technology to limit collateral damage as much as possible if we have to go to war.

What if civilian targets are the primary objective? I'm slightly surprised we haven't seen drones used for terrorist attacks on the West already.

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
I'm slightly surprised we haven't seen drones used for terrorist attacks on the West already.

Most commercial drones have too small a potential payload, too short a flight time and too short a range in urban settings. Larger drones are spendy, and rare. Cars and people are commonplace and cheap.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

The Rector commenced his sermon for Anzac Day by recalling the WW II service of his father and an uncle, both of whom returned. His uncle had been trained for unarmed conflict - killing others with his bare hands which he then proceeded to do. His father had shot and killed several Japanese soldiers. He said that the horror of those duties lived with both men for the rest of their lives. They had been preceded by millennia of soldiers engaged in direct fighting.

By contrast, a bomber pilot was not confronted by the immediacy of his actions. In between, we have fighter pilots, those firing torpedoes, and so forth. Over the years since, we have had missile launchers very remote from the consequences of their actions and a drone operator is even more so.

Now I do know in general terms of the strict rules of engagement for the forces in Afghanistan and the Middle East/Levant and the need to obtain approval from quite senior ranks before bombs are dropped, cars targeted and short range missiles fired. But surely removing the action from its consequences by thousands of kilometres makes it easier to give an order to kill, and eases the conscience a bit too much.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
If a drone pilot lived in a nice suburb in a nice home with children playing in the backyard, going into the office to computer control bombing missions, is he or she a fair war target while at home? Or in a park, at a store etc?

During the Irish "troubles", soldiers were considered targets when they were at home, bombs were placed under soldiers' private vehicles, and some soldiers' children were killed. So they were certainly targets.

Was that "fair"? I'm not sure that "fair" has much to do with war.

Legitimate targets? I don't know that I see why not, in principle.

quote:
quote:
My point was that there is little to no evidence to suggest any increase in depersonalization or diffusion of responsibility when comparing drones to manned aircraft

Nonsense. In an aircraft you're hurtling through the sky at altitude with noise and vibration, in theatre, with immediate potential enemy aggression plus simple technical faults liable to blow you out of the sky at any moment. You're there in a way you most definitely aren't if you're sitting in a bunker in Illinois or Middlesex with minimal immediate threat to your life.
You posit an interesting scenario, but not one that has any basis in reality.

An American manned bombing mission today is extremely unlikely to occur in actively hostile airspace, and even if one were to occur, the probability that such foe would also be technologically advanced enough to threaten U.S. manned bombers seriously is even more unlikely still. Moreover, drones certainly would not be a viable, alternative option in contested airspace.

Furthermore, if you read my original post, I discuss in detail why any personal connection or sense of responsibility between the pilot of a manned aircraft and his or her target is minimal due to the segregated roles of reconnaissance/surveillance and force delivery—they receive a target, launch, and fly home, most likely without second thought. A drone pilot, on the other hand, usually conducts all phases of an airstrike, from initial reconnaissance to damage assessment—thus, they have a very real and immediate idea of the consequences their own actions have wrought.

As for the real-life sensations present when flying, or any potential fear of technical faults, these have no bearing on the issue of a pilot’s level of detachment from his or her lethal actions.

This is a little dated, but I think it gives a good description of a day in the life of a RPA pilot. (Don't call them drones pilots)..

Fact is, there is such a RPA operator shortage, the US Air Force is offering $125,000 bonus if a RPA renews his/her contract.

In 2011, Air Force psychologists completed a mental-health survey of 600 combat drone operators. Forty-two percent of drone crews reported moderate to high stress, and 20 percent reported emotional exhaustion or burnout. The study’s authors attributed their dire results, in part, to “existential conflict.” A later study found that drone operators suffered from the same levels of depression, anxiety, PTSD, alcohol abuse, and suicidal ideation as traditional combat aircrews. The New American

Posted by W Hyatt (# 14250) on :

quote:

There is a strange asymmetry somewhere within I feel.

I think that's an important point about asymmetry. I have two primary concerns with the drone war against terrorists living among civilians: the first is that the concept of a battlefield / combat zone is now blurred to the point where it doesn't exist anymore. I think that the asymmetry you refer to helps make this acceptable to the citizens (as a whole) of the Western countries waging the war since we would be less willing to contemplate similar action if the terrorists could respond in kind. This is not new with the use of drones since it's also true for long range bombers, artillery, and cruise missiles. But the use of drones has allowed for a new kind of targeting of individuals anywhere on the planet, which has removed the last vestiges of the combat zone.

My second concern is that this is a war that can never officially end by its very nature. There is no organized leadership that could surrender for or call off all the terrorists, even if they were so inclined. We are now in a permanent state of war with no boundaries and need new rules for ourselves that take this into account.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
But the use of drones has allowed for a new kind of targeting of individuals anywhere on the planet, which has removed the last vestiges of the combat zone.

Recent events suggest that one hardly needs a drone to carry out assaults against civilians far from a combat zone.

quote:
quote:
But the use of drones has allowed for a new kind of targeting of individuals anywhere on the planet, which has removed the last vestiges of the combat zone.

Recent events suggest that one hardly needs a drone to carry out assaults against civilians far from a combat zone.
Absolutely, which is why we are fighting this war. The targeting I was referring to was targeting that can now be done by our military on a much larger scale than before (compared to when it was limited to assassinations). It doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, just that we should be very careful about how we do it within the context of a permanent war with enemies that can be identified only with difficulty and who now fall anywhere on a spectrum. It used to be relatively clear who the enemy was, collectively and individually. It's no less important now, but it is more difficult.

quote:
quote:

The blurring of which W Hyatt spoke goes both ways. At least so far, drones have been used almost exclusively against non-state actors (e.g., terrorist groups), and this is in large part a direct reaction to the asymmetrical attacks carried out by such violent, non-state actors (i.e., fourth-generation warfare). As W Hyatt mentioned, such organizations generally have no borders to traverse, no lands to occupy, and no governments to topple, hence the difficulty in applying prior paradigms from before the fall of the U.S.S.R., and the rise of a new, nebulous, and interminable kind of “war” (e.g., the “War on Terror”). Just as terrorists have blurred the line between a “combatant” and “non-combatant,” drone strikes respond in kind by designating particular targets legitimate without artificial constraint from some pre-conceived “battlefield.”

quote:
A drone pilot, on the other hand, usually conducts all phases of an airstrike, from initial reconnaissance to damage assessment—thus, they have a very real and immediate idea of the consequences their own actions have wrought.

As for the real-life sensations present when flying, or any potential fear of technical faults, these have no bearing on the issue of a pilot’s level of detachment from his or her lethal actions.

I still think the level of immediate danger to a pilot in the air differs markedly to that of a drone pilot, and that their geographical presence in the theatre makes a difference.

I don't dispute the assertion that drone pilots get to see more; ethical qualms are more to do with their physical remoteness and, indeed, the huge disconnect between the reality of mayhem they see on their screens and the reality of normal life immediately they leave them.

I linked to a couple of academic military research papers on this kind of thing in the original tangent which spawned this thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
As I see it, it comes down to if you see war as ever being appropriate or not.

Good question and one that I'm afraid the history of humanity has answered resoundingly.
'The ultimate sport' has never been far from our minds since the day one of are ancestors picked up a log and belted someone with it.

The trouble with Drones is they are just not seen as Cricket

Because war has existed so long is not a reason that it should continue to.
And "just not cricket" is a misrepresentation of the ethical challenge being presented.

quote:

I don't dispute the assertion that drone pilots get to see more; ethical qualms are more to do with their physical remoteness and, indeed, the huge disconnect between the reality of mayhem they see on their screens and the reality of normal life immediately they leave them.

A couple of points - whilst to a certain extent they do see more, the manner in which the information is presented (grainy-green-black pictures for the most part due to image enhancement techniques being used) seems to lend itself to at least immediate distance (hence the language around 'bug-splats' 'pint sized terrorists' and so on).

At the same time, the medium through which the information is presented most closely resembles that of a computer game - and I think some of the commentators on this thread are underestimating the extent to which this could have an immediate distancing effect on the operators.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:

This is true, and I'm sure every one of us on this thread would love for there to never be another war. But that's irrelevant to the question of whether drones should be used in any war that does happen.

You seem to be arguing that if we were forced to send actual troops into war zones then (a) we would be less likely to start wars in the first place and (b) the soldiers on the ground would be less likely to commit atrocities. Neither argument is in any way supported by historical fact.

Yes, drones make war easier. But they also make it considerably safer for the side that uses them. If we're going to destroy an enemy target then I'd much rather do it with a drone and zero allied casualties than by sending in a battalion of troops and getting some of them killed. The target itself is going to be just as destroyed either way.

I'm reading a history of WW1 these past weeks. If drones are okay, is poison gas? Yes, they made agreements not to use it post-WW1, but it has been used. I understood Churchill considered using it if Germany had established a beachhead in England in WW2.

I understand that we've already had it decided that it is okay to kill civilians though it seems you're not supposed to shoot them or person-to-person kill them, you're supposed to bomb them.

Have we decided if it is okay to torture people or not? Does it make a difference if we torture them to death or allow them to survive? It is unclear to me what is approved currently.

And I'm back to, is it okay to kill a soldier not in uniform on the streets of one of our cities, and also his or her children and spouse? And perhaps a little additional collateral damage is okay? Which then begs the question of which of the 21st century bombings are okay in our cities? Would these have been acceptable if the terrorists had flown drones which did the killing and not personally blown themselves up?

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

You seem to be arguing that if we were forced to send actual troops into war zones then (a) we would be less likely to start wars in the first place and (b) the soldiers on the ground would be less likely to commit atrocities.

Atrocities will always happen in war. I am not arguing against this being true. What I am saying is that it makes the decision to attack targets without caring about innocent people also being killed more likely.
And, it has a demonstrably more negative effect. It is not for nothing that drone strikes are used in extremist recruiting material.

[ 03. May 2016, 15:15: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

quote:
What I am saying is that it makes the decision to attack targets without caring about innocent people also being killed more likely.

Again, history suggests otherwise. We were carpet bombing entire cities with high explosives and incendiaries (not to mention a couple of nukes) way before drones existed. Before planes existed naval blockades and sieges would starve combatant and non-combatant alike. The concept of razing a city to the ground goes back to before the Bible, and I doubt any of the armies involved waited patiently for non-combatants to evacuate first.

It's only comparatively recently that the concept of avoiding non-combatant deaths has even been part of warfare. And with their precision laser-guided weaponry, drones are perfectly capable of achieving that aim.

quote:
And, it has a demonstrably more negative effect. It is not for nothing that drone strikes are used in extremist recruiting material.
I imagine the primary reason drone strikes are used in their recruiting material is the fact that that's how we're attacking them. If we had troops on the ground then they'd be producing propoganda materials featuring them.

Posted by Merchant Trader (# 9007) on :

I think "Eye in the Sky" really brings home all the dilemnas:

quote:
EYE IN THE SKY stars Helen Mirren as Colonel Katherine Powell, a UK-based military officer in command of a top secret drone operation to capture terrorists in Kenya. Through remote surveillance and on-the-ground intel, Powell discovers the targets are planning a suicide bombing and the mission escalates from “capture” to “kill.” But as American pilot Steve Watts (Aaron Paul) is about to engage, a nine-year old girl enters the kill zone, triggering an international dispute reaching the highest levels of US and British government over the moral, political, and personal implications of modern warfare.

quote:
And "just not cricket" is a misrepresentation of the ethical challenge being presented.

Forgive me for not understanding the ethical challenge here.

Are you proposing a dumbing down of technology so we fight those who oppose Western interests on their own level, with their type a weaponary?
This has already be tried in Afganistan and elsewhere with limited success and has proved just as an effective recruiting sergeant as the use of drones.

None of us can erradicate war, no matter what depth of heartfelt desire we have to that effect. If the use of drones can suppress the escalation of war then they are ethically justifiable in my view.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

I don't see the ethical challenge either, if you believe that war is justified at all. How are drones any different? Dead is dead. Collateral damage is collateral damage. If we can cut down on the amount of collateral damage by the use of drones, I say it's to the good.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

Drones and other methods of automated warfare make war easier to wage because we only have to count the cost in terms of money, not lives.

Even if you put combat aircraft over a target which has no AAA capability, there's still always the possibility of mechanical failure and potential loss or capture of the air crew. The metric for deciding whether to bomb a target is different when there's meat on the line.

Drones - and RC tanks and soldiers when we get them - make peace less likely.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

The US is not officially at war with some of the countries where its drones are currently killing people. Can it just kill any civilian its intelligence has identified as a threat, anywhere in the world?

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

IMHO, the issues surrounding drone warfare simply highlight the hollowness of "just war theory" in general. As we've seen, the issues we're discussing here-- when is it OK to kill? when is someone "at home/off limits"?-- are all inherent to Just War itself, and have been ever since Augustine. It was a flawed theory we used to rationalize an already compromised moral choice. Centuries of using that rationalization have made us to a large degree immune to thinking about them until a new weapon comes along that shocks us into seeing it all over again-- if only for a moment. It happened 60 years ago with the atom bomb, and it's happening now. But the ethical issues are really unchanged.

quote:
quote:
What I am saying is that it makes the decision to attack targets without caring about innocent people also being killed more likely.

Again, history suggests otherwise.
Actually, it doesn't because
quote:

It's only comparatively recently that the concept of avoiding non-combatant deaths has even been part of warfare.

The trend has been to reduce those deaths. Drones have the potential to reverse this.

quote:
And with their precision laser-guided weaponry, drones are perfectly capable of achieving that aim.
The objection isn't about the reduction of collateral damage inherent in the hardware, but that the hardware will be used more often and with less discrimination.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

quote:
quote:

quote:

Ease. Ever done paintball? How long does it take you and your mates to kill the opposing team? Look at this spot in Sidecup. Think of a drone strike that could take out the near by repairer and a Tesco at the same time.

Sidcup, to avoid confusion. It could do the garden centre as well.

Posted by Hiro's Leap (# 12470) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
The US is not officially at war with some of the countries where its drones are currently killing people. Can it just kill any civilian its intelligence has identified as a threat, anywhere in the world?

And as the technology becomes more accessible, is it OK for other countries to do the same to us?

quote:
And with their precision laser-guided weaponry, drones are perfectly capable of achieving that aim.

That's how they're advertised. One shot, one kill.

The advertising tends to gloss over the other approximately 34 people who also die in the one shot. You could look on it as an improvement to carpet bombing an entire neighbourhood to hit one man, but in WWII, I don't think we ever conducted a mission to kill one man with a squadron of heavy bombers.

So it's a bit of a straw man to compare drone strikes to carpet bombing.

quote:

There is a fairly extensive study on the effect of living under the threat of drone strikes on populations by the Stanford Law School.

It touches tangentially on the legal issues, and highlights the ambiguities in the various positions and justifications given for drone strikes within sovereign countries with which the US is not formally at war:

http://chrgj.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Living-Under-Drones.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
quote:

And as the technology becomes more accessible, is it OK for other countries to do the same to us?
Some terror attacks on the west on civilian targets, without the high tech videogame killing method, might be justifiable retaliation via such reasoning? I worry that we have embraced the many coloured beast. Taken it to heart. Given it legitimacy.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Drones and other methods of automated warfare make war easier to wage because we only have to count the cost in terms of money, not lives.

Even if you put combat aircraft over a target which has no AAA capability, there's still always the possibility of mechanical failure and potential loss or capture of the air crew. The metric for deciding whether to bomb a target is different when there's meat on the line.

I don't agree, because our leaders have always been perfectly willing to put "meat on the line" in support of their goals.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Again, history suggests otherwise.
Actually, it doesn't because
quote:

It's only comparatively recently that the concept of avoiding non-combatant deaths has even been part of warfare.

The trend has been to reduce those deaths. Drones have the potential to reverse this.

I don't see how that follows. If there is motivation to reduce non-combatant deaths then that motivation exists whether the attack is by troops, manned aircraft or drones.

quote:
quote:
The objection isn't about the reduction of collateral damage inherent in the hardware, but that the hardware will be used more often and with less discrimination.
Making more strikes is a tactical decision, not a hardware one. If we didn't have drones we'd just send manned aircraft to do the job instead, and if we didn't have any of those then we'd send a Spec Ops team.

quote:
quote:

I don't agree, because our leaders have always been perfectly willing to put "meat on the line" in support of their goals.
I don't agree with your disagreement. I think that it's becoming increasingly difficult to justify returning body bags (remembering that in UK terms, it's up until only recently that bodies were buried close to where they fell). The spectre of having to attend military funerals in the UK haunts senior politicians.

Consequently, drone warfare is a way of not having to consider a significant part of the domestic cost of war-making. It makes it easier, because the only deaths are far away and not (usually) your own citizens.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

War is such a bargain compared with peace through justice.

But what we defer will hurt us all more.

quote:
]Making more strikes is a tactical decision, not a hardware one. If we didn't have drones we'd just send manned aircraft to do the job instead, and if we didn't have any of those then we'd send a Spec Ops team.

I think there's more hesitation in sending live human beings who could themselves be killed or injured than sending a machine controlled remotely by people no where near the people being killed. Though I would bend your point and suggest that personally killing and watching the face of the person whose being killed as life drains from them is a good requirement for killing people in war or non-war or whatever these things are.

I'm remembering an episode of MASH, the TV program, where Hawkeye sets up a Korean War bomber pilot to see the children maimed and killed by the bombs he dropped, and the comment "you should have to look people in the face and get to know them and their families before you kill them". Drones remove the personal, which removes the normal human aversion to killing other humans.

[tangent]
I should like to know if there are any vegetarian and vegan drone operators and hear how they justify sparing animals what they do not spare humans, acknowledging that the don't eat the humans they kill.
[/tangent]

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

Seems to me that the issue of technology - drones vs manned aircraft - is separate from the issue of pursuing terrorists into countries which lack either the will or the police/intelligence structures to apprehend them.

Technology doesn't normally make a just war unjust or vice versa.

I think it's true that good military officers, before launching a mission, weigh up the chances of success and the likely level of casualties to their troops and to any third parties in the area. So that any improvement in weapons technology will increase the number of missions that can be undertaken within any given threshold of perceived acceptable risks.

It's not clear to me that it necessarily follows that all improvements in weapons technology make the world a bloodier and more dangerous place.

I'd be interested to hear what others think are the types of weapons that our countries should be developing. Or whether you consider every increase in military capability a bad thing.

At present it seems like only the US has drones. So the temptation is for pro-US Europeans and pro-establishment Americans to welcome this as a good thing and vice versa.

This seems persuasive. An article about a former drone pilot's opinion and responses.

quote:
There's no physical danger from the enemy and that's what makes the job so tough. If you're in danger, if someone is pointing a gun at you, you can justify - in your own mind - shooting someone....You have to go home after a mission like everything is normal.
He goes on to discuss how many technicians who contribute to killing of people don't really have to connect their roles with the killing of people. He knows he killed innocent people.

[ 08. May 2016, 20:58: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

As the headline says, that article is by a technician, not a drone operator. ("Confessions of a former US Air Force drone technician: Ex-serviceman who built communications infrastructure for US drone programme in Afghanistan speaks out against it.")

Not that it matters. The article mostly just persuades me that he probably shouldn't have joined the Air Force in the first place:
quote:
When I read the Bible, I learned that we're not supposed to kill people, but here I was, building the infrastructure for people to do just that.
I'm not sure there's any job he could do in the military that would be acceptable to him. I wonder what he thought he was going to be doing when he enlisted?

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

He might not have thought about it very much when he was 18, or he changed his mind. I know a lot of my views changed radically between the ages of 18 and 22.

But yeah, the military isn't the place for someone with such reservations about the morality of killing people.

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
A couple of points - whilst to a certain extent they do see more, the manner in which the information is presented (grainy-green-black pictures for the most part due to image enhancement techniques being used) seems to lend itself to at least immediate distance (hence the language around 'bug-splats' 'pint sized terrorists' and so on).

At the same time, the medium through which the information is presented most closely resembles that of a computer game - and I think some of the commentators on this thread are underestimating the extent to which this could have an immediate distancing effect on the operators.

Again, it is unclear to me exactly to what you are comparing. A pilot in a manned bomber aircraft is going to have, at best, a similar view. It is not like they are going to be looking through the cockpit glass directly at the target—it is all sensor-based, just as with drones. If they are using munitions that do not require line-of-sight, then they will have an even more detached view of the target. The only exception would be close air support aircraft, which are not really comparable since drones are never used in this role.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
IMHO, the issues surrounding drone warfare simply highlight the hollowness of "just war theory" in general. As we've seen, the issues we're discussing here-- when is it OK to kill? when is someone "at home/off limits"?-- are all inherent to Just War itself, and have been ever since Augustine. It was a flawed theory we used to rationalize an already compromised moral choice. Centuries of using that rationalization have made us to a large degree immune to thinking about them until a new weapon comes along that shocks us into seeing it all over again-- if only for a moment. It happened 60 years ago with the atom bomb, and it's happening now. But the ethical issues are really unchanged.

I am not sure why the issues that have arisen with drone warfare would invalidate all of just war theory. Just war theory was conceived in and for an era when combat was governed by mutually agreed upon rules. The problem with terrorism, drones, etc., is that they operate outside of the previously accepted boundaries of war. Therefore, it is simply inapplicable to these sorts of conflicts, because the players refuse to follow the rules upon which just war theory is premised. That does not mean that just war theory has no current value in terms of conventional conflicts between states, however.

quote:
Not that it matters. The article mostly just persuades me that he probably shouldn't have joined the Air Force in the first place:
quote:
When I read the Bible, I learned that we're not supposed to kill people, but here I was, building the infrastructure for people to do just that.
I'm not sure there's any job he could do in the military that would be acceptable to him. I wonder what he thought he was going to be doing when he enlisted?
By this formula, should anyone with a modicum of morality be in the military. Or perhaps susceptibility to having one's morality exterminated or supressed is greater when 18 than when 28. His seems to have regrown. Like a cancer.

Which of course makes conscription all the more grotesque.

Were it not for weapons technology then there's every chance conscription might again be necessary. And given that we now live in an age of gender equality then everyone of serviceable age can expect to receive a brown envelope requiring them to be put in harm's way.

The alleged ISIS Emir of Anbar was killed in a drone strike on May 6th.

Abu Wahib, a key ISIS figure was traveling with three others in a vehicle at the time of the strike, Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said.

"ISIL leadership has been hit hard by coalition efforts and this is another example of that," Cook said, using another term for ISIS. "It is dangerous to be an ISIL leader in Iraq and Syria these days and for good reason."

This is from a CNN report today.

Seems to me as we are debating the use of drones vs manned bombers, we are overlooking the methods that ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram and other terrorist groups are using. Also we overlook the barrel bombs of the Assad regime. And we must object to the bombing of the Doctors Without Borders hospital in Syria. True, the United States shot up a DW/OB in Afghanistan, but the military personnel involved in that incident are being investigated. I don't think the people who bombed the hospital Syria will see any punishment.

Today on NPR during the Diane Reeme show, a female war correspondent was being interviewed about her experiences inside Syria.

She pointed out that Syrian civilians have created a white helmet corp which goes in to rescue people who are victims of the bombing by government and Russian forces in Syria. She says this group has become very effective in rescuing civilians, Now, the Syrian government has begun targeting them too. In Aleppo they the Syrian government will bomb a site a second time a few minutes after the first bombing in order to kill the white helmets.

Now which is the most atrocious?

The use of drones to target specific individuals or small groups?

The use of manned bombers to take out opposing forces while destroying cities in order to save them?

The suicide bombers who have struck Paris, Brussels and elsewhere?

The use of barrel bombs?

The bombing of hospitals?

The follow up bombing of white helmet rescuers who try to rescue civilians after a first bombing?

I find your metric of 'whose behaviour is more appalling' an inappropriate one for judging whether the use of drones to commit extra-judicial killings is acceptable.

Discussing the thing in itself is difficult without pointing at another group and saying 'they're worse'. That may be so, but we're not discussing their behaviour. We're discussing ours.

In terms of total killed who is ahead? I am seeing online numbers that say no civilians killed, that more civilians have been killed versus combatanf at a ratio of 50 civilians to every 1 militant and everything in between. What is the true number?

It seems like some sort of deadly videogame to keep score like this. How is the game won? Remembering the body count scoring they did in Vietnam.

Extra judicial killings?

Under the Just War theory one should use the weapon that has the least collateral damage. Drone warfare is has the least collateral damage of any choice. It is estimated less than 3% of all deaths as a result of drone strikes are noncombatants.

100% of barrel bomb victims are noncombatant.

The selection of drone targets go through a multilevel government review. Does it involve the courts? No. It is a war, after all.

Using the weapon that has the least collateral damage sounds great, but the flip side is that we're more likely to try to kill someone now that there's less collateral damage. And don't you suppose that it gets a little unclear whether victims of drone strikes are enemy combatants or not? Did your source for the 3% figure give a definition of "noncombatants"? Does it say what data that figure is based on?

With what frequency does the multilevel review decline to approve a strike? And don't you suppose the intelligence analysts might learn how to phrase things to maximize the probability of getting approval for a strike?

What you say would apply very nicely to a conventional war, but things aren't so clearly delineated in our war against our terrorist enemies. It makes sense to me to use drones in this war, but it does not make sense to me to use the rules developed for conventional war.

The best figures I've seen say that for every 'target' there are 34 other deaths. If you want to argue that the 34 others are also combatants, then do so. We're not discussing the ethics of barrel bombs, because we're not dropping barrel bombs - Assad the Butcher is - so do stay on topic.

And yes, extra judicial killings. We're not at war: if IS attack a western capital city, we don't call it retaliation or an offensive or a new front, we call it terrorism. Terrorists are criminals, not enemy combatants.

And since the UK doesn't have the death penalty, blowing the crap out of someone in a foreign country because they (a) have a hateful ideology (b) might be planning terrorist attacks in the UK and (c) are beyond the reach of UK law, is tantamount to an extra-judicial killing.

Where's the trial? Where's the evidence? What's the sentence? We do these things in plain sight because we're a civilised nation that believes in the rule of law.

quote:
...judging whether the use of drones to commit extra-judicial killings is acceptable.

It may be quite reasonable to object to the terms of engagement. Are we at war with ISIS ? But if that's your objection it doesn't matter whether the killing is accomplished by a drone or a bomb or a rifle. It's "war on terror" that you oppose, rather than drones as a technology.

quote:
Discussing the thing in itself is difficult without pointing at another group and saying 'they're worse'. That may be so, but we're not discussing their behaviour. We're discussing ours.

Is the argument being made here that worse things (terrorist attacks) happen if we don't do this than if we're successful in doing this ? That letting the bad guys win is worse than fighting the war ?

That may not be true. Every success may radicalize a new Muslim, create a new terrorist.

But if its the policy you object to, you might want to make clear what your proposed alternative policy is. Suffer terrorist attacks in pacifist moral superiority ? Pay the terrorists to go away ?

So, to conclude: am I for or against all the straw men you've constructed?

[Roll Eyes]

Doc Tor--not sure where you reside, but for the United
States we are officially at war.

The Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists or "AUMF" was made law on 14 September 2001, to authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against those responsible for the attacks on 11 September 2001. It authorized the President to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on 11 September 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons. Congress declares this is intended to constitute specific statutory authorization within the meaning of section 5(b) of the War Powers Resolution of 1973.

The Obama continues to use this as justification for drone strikes against ISIS and other terrorist groups.

Whereas the UK is not, and specifically, after a non-vote in parliament, constrained the area of active operations to Iraq, where it could be argued that we were helping the legitimate government of that country.

We then authorised drone strikes in Syria, before the actual vote to allow air operations over that country.

So while the US's legal fiction allows them to carry out drone strikes wherever and whenever, the UK's is in much more of a grey area. Deliberately targeting individuals who are suspected of terrorist activity (a criminal offence) in missile strikes that are designed to kill is a death penalty without due process as we would currently understand it.

Obviously, whether you're for or against drone strikes, there's little/no sympathy for someone who goes and joins ISIS and tries to incite their former countrymen and women to either join them or commit domestic terrorist acts. But we don't have the death penalty, and we don't routinely kill people in UK because they're suspected (or actual) terrorists.

Every single discharge of a firearm by the police is thoroughly investigated, even if the process itself is sometimes highly suspect. I'm reasonably confident in saying there'll never be inquests into the deaths of British victims of drone strikes.

quote:
The ancient Jehovah is still on the loose. Alas, he slays the innocent along with the guilty, whom he strikes so fearsomely blind that they can feel no sense of guilt.

We are dealing with an epidemic delusion which, having caused infinite suffering, will one day vanish and become a monstrous and incomprehensible source of wonderment to later generations. -Albert Einstein. 03 June 1916

Same as it ever was. We don't send 18 year olds over the top of trenches and gas them. We just tell them to kill the little brown people and drink alco-pop.

Is eye for an eye a thing to do or not to do? Or is it merely a promise that if you kill someone's family, they will in turn kill you. Chanelling of course God into whose mouth are put human words: ‘Vengeance is Mine, and retribution,
            In due time their foot will slip;
            For the day of their calamity is near,
            And the impending things are hastening upon them.’
(Deut 32:35)

Which is great. God promises to kill you for me, and me for you. Glad he's using drones and suicide bombers.

[ 11. May 2016, 13:36: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

quote:

Again, it is unclear to me exactly to what you are comparing. A pilot in a manned bomber aircraft is going to have, at best, a similar view. It is not like they are going to be looking through the cockpit glass directly at the target—it is all sensor-based, just as with drones.

Sitting at a desk watching information being presented on a flat screen monitor is rather different from having that same information being presented to you in the cramped confines of a combat aircraft.

It's not just that, though.

A Reaper ($12 million) is one fifth (to one tenth) the cost of an F-35. A fast jet pilot costs $6 million. A drone costs ~$3000 per flight hour. A jet ~ $25,000 per flight hour. Endurance of a Reaper, 24 hours. Endurance of a F-35 (difficult to google, but a BOTE calculation) 3 hours.

A drone strike isn't the same as a jet-launched missile. You can literally have a sky full of drones all day, every day, for less than the cost of a couple of jet attacks.

And because you can, you do. You'll end up looking for shit to blow up, because otherwise you're watching people hang up their washing. And because it's cheap, because it's easy, because you can watch them all day, you'll end up picking targets on the basis of hunches and rumours in a way you'd never do if you were about to piss half a million bucks up the wall and risk your pilot's life to boot.

quote:
Every single discharge of a firearm by the police is thoroughly investigated, even if the process itself is sometimes highly suspect. I'm reasonably confident in saying there'll never be inquests into the deaths of British victims of drone strikes.

Isn't this the difference between a crime paradigm and a war paradigm ?

To operate a crime paradigm, you need to be operating in a country with an effective rule of law. If the Americans find a terrorist in France, they tip off the French police who come and arrest him.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:

To operate a crime paradigm, you need to be operating in a country with an effective rule of law.

My first thought was Pakistan qualifies, and it does, but I think I see a flash of plaid through the thistle.

quote:

Terrorists are criminals, and therefore can be prosecuted in civilian courts and sent to gaol (or in the US, executed), or terrorists are enemy combatants and if captured, should be placed in POW camps for the duration, under the oversight of the ICRC.

If we're fighting a war, we expect casualties where the enemy attack us. If we're chasing down a bunch of criminals, then we view victims of their violence differently.

It sounds to me like we want all the 'convenience' of fighting a war, using all the rhetoric of law enforcement.

quote:
quote:

Terrorists are criminals, and therefore can be prosecuted in civilian courts and sent to gaol (or in the US, executed), or terrorists are enemy combatants and if captured, should be placed in POW camps for the duration, under the oversight of the ICRC.

If we're fighting a war, we expect casualties where the enemy attack us. If we're chasing down a bunch of criminals, then we view victims of their violence differently.

It sounds to me like we want all the 'convenience' of fighting a war, using all the rhetoric of law enforcement.

Who's the "we" in this last bit? (Presumably you're not including yourself.)

From what I've seen, the people who want to treat it as a war emphatically reject the rhetoric of law enforcement, and those who want to view it as a law enforcement issue don't think it should be treated as a war.

quote:
quote:

To operate a crime paradigm, you need to be operating in a country with an effective rule of law.

My first thought was Pakistan qualifies, and it does, but I think I see a flash of plaid through the thistle.
I think the Pakistani's would be surprised to hear that they have an effective rule of law in their northwest territories.

quote:
quote:

From what I've seen, the people who want to treat it as a war emphatically reject the rhetoric of law enforcement, and those who want to view it as a law enforcement issue don't think it should be treated as a war.

quote:
quote:

I think the Pakistani's would be surprised to hear that they have an effective rule of law in their northwest territories.

quote:

Well, why not include myself? That way I get to call them criminal murderers, and I get to justify killing them because my country's at war with them.

If they're criminals then, because of the lack of death penalty, we should want to bring them to justice in a court of law.

If they're enemy combatants, killing them is justified, but not if they surrender. We have to set up a POW camp in accordance with the Geneva Convention, in the expectation that when the war's over, we let the people inside go.

Yet our politicians do both. We either need to choose, or we need an entirely new framework to deal conceptually with the existential threat that ISIS are currently heirs to.

So if an attack occurred on a military establishment within a drone-using country's homeland (say on the scale of the 11 Sept 2001 Pentagon building attack) is this a legitimate act of war in the current scheme of things or is it a criminal act? Would it matter if the attack is done by a hijacked commercial airplane, a military bomber plane, a drone or suicide bombers?

This is hypothetical and terrible to consider, and the whole of it is. Just. That. Being that violence is wrong as a foundational value.

Historically, wars are fought against nations. But, in the case of Al Qaeda they held no ground, but they committed a number of acts of war, culminating in 9/11.

In the case of ISIL they do hold ground and they have been very brutal in their rule of what they hold.

When ISIL terrorists are caught--as in France and Belgium, they should be treated as criminals.

A number of ISIL recruits who have been arrested in the United States are also being treated as criminals in our courts of law.

The big difference between treating ISIL as a criminal organization or a warlike group in my mind is in a crime one waits for something to happen. However, in war one can be pro active in reducing the threat of attacks

If, by using drone attacks, we can take out the strategists preventing further bombings, so be it. Aircraft are generally being used in denying ISIL's main source of funding--what oil reserves are in their hand.

Drones are effective in taking out small groups of individuals, but one needs aircraft to take out large targets or multiple targets in a given theatre. A-10 and helicopter gunships have changed the course of a battle many a time.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

The US has declared war on terrorism, not on a specific country. If it thinks someone is a terrorist in a country like France, it will ask the police to arrest him. If it is in a country like Pakistan, it will take him out with a drone? What is the difference between those countries? That one abides by the law more? Or that it will do what the US asks?

And if you happen to live in Pakistan (once again, a country the US is not formally at war with), then the US decides about your life. It becomes your judge, jury and executioner. The only check or balance here is whether it considers you a terrorist or not, sometimes based on vague things like your behaviour patterns.

quote:
So if an attack occurred on a military establishment within a drone-using country's homeland (say on the scale of the 11 Sept 2001 Pentagon building attack) is this a legitimate act of war in the current scheme of things or is it a criminal act?

Depends who's doing the attacking. If it's a country, or something that looks a bit like a country, then that would be an act of war. If it's an animal rights group protesting about sharks with laser beams, it's terrorism, and a crime.

quote:
[bq] Would it matter if the attack is done by a hijacked commercial airplane, a military bomber plane, a drone or suicide bombers?
[/qb]

Sure. Hijacking a commercial plane and using it as a weapon would be a war crime. The others wouldn't.

quote:
Sure. Hijacking a commercial plane and using it as a weapon would be a war crime. The others wouldn't.

It has seemed to me that if a powerful nation does something, it is not a war crime because they can say it isn't a war crime and carry this off. Acts of violence are war crimes only if the group conducting them are weak.

Thus, drone killing of civilians are not war crimes. Because powerful nation says so.

quote:
quote:
...judging whether the use of drones to commit extra-judicial killings is acceptable.

It may be quite reasonable to object to the terms of engagement. Are we at war with ISIS ? But if that's your objection it doesn't matter whether the killing is accomplished by a drone or a bomb or a rifle. It's "war on terror" that you oppose, rather than drones as a technology.

quote:

Is the argument being made here that worse things (terrorist attacks) happen if we don't do this than if we're successful in doing this ? That letting the bad guys win is worse than fighting the war ?

That may not be true. Every success may radicalize a new Muslim, create a new terrorist.

But if its the policy you object to, you might want to make clear what your proposed alternative policy is. Suffer terrorist attacks in pacifist moral superiority ? Pay the terrorists to go away ?

The alternative policy is the timeless one lived by Jesus 2000 years ago. He did neither of those things. However all those demanding, as on Premier Christian Radio, that "Something must be DONE by SOMEBODY ELSE (like the oxymoron of Welby's "just war"), before it's TOO LATE!!!!", about SCIS, SHOULD put their money where there mouth is and pay ransom for the minorities SCIS persecute.

But they NEVER will. They will NEVER do anything that all men would know they were Christian by.

What would you have somebody else do?

quote:

Yeah, but there is an odd coincidence of dates in this link. It is highly probable that my link is at the very least a multiplier to your link.

quote:
Historically, wars are fought against nations. But, in the case of Al Qaeda they held no ground, but they committed a number of acts of war, culminating in 9/11.

The problem is history. Our nations have a recurring history of ignoring the causes and attacking the symptoms.

quote:
quote:

Well, why not include myself? That way I get to call them criminal murderers, and I get to justify killing them because my country's at war with them.

Really? So you mean that you yourself want the convenience of fighting a war? I wouldn't have thought you'd take that position. What is it about military action that you find appealing, if you don't mind my asking?
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but there is an odd coincidence of dates in this link. It is highly probable that my link is at the very least a multiplier to your link.
I don't believe it is highly probable. I see nothing in the Wikipedia article on the war in Northwest Pakistan to indicate that US drone strikes are a particularly important cause of the war, nor that, had they not occurred, Pakistan would have had "effective rule of law" in the FATA. According to your link:
quote:
For at least some of the initial drone strikes, in 2004 and 2005, the US operated with the approval of Pakistan's ISI. Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf told The New Yorker in 2014 that he allowed the CIA to fly drones within Pakistan and that in exchange the US supplied helicopters and night-vision equipment to the Pakistanis.

quote:
I don't believe it is highly probable. I see nothing in the Wikipedia article on the war in Northwest Pakistan to indicate that US drone strikes are a particularly important cause of the war,

I was showing coincidental dates, not proof within the link. I should have been more clear. you can think they had nought to do with the destabilisation of the region, but ISTM, history will not agree.
quote:

nor that, had they not occurred, Pakistan would have had "effective rule of law" in the FATA.

Pakistan is a functioning country with rule of law, even if part of it is out of control. Is the US not under rule of law because Detroit looks more like Baghdad than it does New York? For a significant part of US history, there have been large swaths that were at war with the government, but the US would not have been classified as a lawless country when viewed as a whole.
quote:

According to your link:
quote:
For at least some of the initial drone strikes, in 2004 and 2005, the US operated with the approval of Pakistan's ISI. Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf told The New Yorker in 2014 that he allowed the CIA to fly drones within Pakistan and that in exchange the US supplied helicopters and night-vision equipment to the Pakistanis.

Fair point that some strikes were with permission.

At least one American has been killed by drone without due process of law.

quote:
Really? So you mean that you yourself want the convenience of fighting a war?

ISIS are my enemy. They're yours too. And probably my cats', for that matter.

So what do I do about it? On what level is it not easier for me to think, "okay, let's make it straight forward for people who want to join ISIS to go to Syria: then we can blow the crap out of them with robots at zero risk to people I might meet and possibly even like."?

I understand the seductiveness of such arguments.

quote:
quote:
I don't believe it is highly probable. I see nothing in the Wikipedia article on the war in Northwest Pakistan to indicate that US drone strikes are a particularly important cause of the war,

I was showing coincidental dates, not proof within the link. I should have been more clear. you can think they had nought to do with the destabilisation of the region, but ISTM, history will not agree.
quote:

nor that, had they not occurred, Pakistan would have had "effective rule of law" in the FATA.

Pakistan is a functioning country with rule of law, even if part of it is out of control.

Having functioning police in Islamabad doesn't mean you have "effective rule of law" in FATA. Whether drone strikes were helpful or not, the Pakistani government's approval suggests they didn't think a law enforcement approach was any kind of plausible alternative.

quote:
quote:
Really? So you mean that you yourself want the convenience of fighting a war?

ISIS are my enemy. They're yours too. And probably my cats', for that matter.

So what do I do about it? On what level is it not easier for me to think, "okay, let's make it straight forward for people who want to join ISIS to go to Syria: then we can blow the crap out of them with robots at zero risk to people I might meet and possibly even like."?

I understand the seductiveness of such arguments.

I didn't ask whether you thought you understood other people's motivations, or whether one thing might be easier for you to think than another.

I just wanted to know who "we" is in "It sounds to me like we want all the 'convenience' of fighting a war, using all the rhetoric of law enforcement." because I haven't heard of many people who actually do both of those things.

So far that "we" seems only to consist of some hypothetical person like you but not actually you, because you declined to answer when asked directly, and because someone who really wanted military action wouldn't deprecate concerns over terrorism with flippant remarks about cats.

quote:
I just wanted to know who "we" is in "It sounds to me like we want all the 'convenience' of fighting a war, using all the rhetoric of law enforcement." because I haven't heard of many people who actually do both of those things.

Haven't you? I find that strange, because politicians referring to ISIS as criminals while waging war on them is relatively commonplace.

If our enemy is fully inimical in all its synonyms, does that give us a let out?

quote:
quote:

Haven't you? I find that strange, because politicians referring to ISIS as criminals while waging war on them is relatively commonplace.
No, I haven't! Would you mind giving an example? One with whom you would group yourself so as to (finally!) form an actual "we"?

Unless, of course, you don't have particular examples in mind and were never really including yourself in the first place. Imprecision and figurative language have their place; and sometimes people do ascribe behavior they disapprove of to "we" even though they really mean "they", perhaps because it makes them feel less open to charges of being judgmental. But in any case, I'd appreciate more clarification and less equivocation.

Look, this isn't difficult. Take this news story as just one of dozens of examples.

Are these men criminals, or members of an opposing army, or spies, or what?

The English legal system has them as criminals, hence their trial in a civilian court and the sentences handed down fully within the criminal code. Yet two of their fellows were assassinated by drone in Syria, for allegedly committing similar crimes.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

The Brits have presumably learned from the US, that you can apply the theory of floating signifiers in such cases. Sometimes, X is a criminal, and sometimes he is an enemy combatant, and as Humpty Dumpty nearly said, we get to say which is which, and punish them accordingly, and we might even change our minds.

It does seem that someone is a criminal on one patch of ground or a legitimate military target on another.

Rules of engagement are always fluid in warfare. Drone strikes provide easy propaganda points to any opponent. The only hope is that the opponent eventually comes to realise that holding out against more and more advanced technology is futile.
At present it is virtually impossible to know how, when or if that point will be reached.

Posted by Soror Magna (# 9881) on :

If an act is treated as a crime, it is judged in court. Witnesses appear. Evidence is presented. A jury listens. If the same act is treated as an act of war, there's no trial, no evidence, no witnesses, no judge or jury. The cynical part of my brain says that a government decides one way or another based not on who did what to whom, but on what they will have to reveal in order to prosecute or punish the (alleged) criminal(s).

eta: [Eek!] typo [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 15. May 2016, 22:43: Message edited by: Soror Magna ]

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
It does seem that someone is a criminal on one patch of ground or a legitimate military target on another.

Rules of engagement are always fluid in warfare. Drone strikes provide easy propaganda points to any opponent. The only hope is that the opponent eventually comes to realise that holding out against more and more advanced technology is futile.
At present it is virtually impossible to know how, when or if that point will be reached.

The lesson of Vietnam is that holding out against advanced technokilling is merely a matter of time.

The lesson of Russia in Afghanistan is get someone to fund the other side.

quote:
Look, this isn't difficult. Take this news story as just one of dozens of examples.

Are these men criminals, or members of an opposing army, or spies, or what?

The English legal system has them as criminals, hence their trial in a civilian court and the sentences handed down fully within the criminal code. Yet two of their fellows were assassinated by drone in Syria, for allegedly committing similar crimes.

Thanks, that's a helpful illustration.

(No, it wasn't difficult, was it? Hard to see why it took 3 days to get even an approximation to a straight answer. Apparently "we" means "UK authorities". Still, no sign of you being included in the original "we", since if there's some part of the war fighting you want, you're not telling.)

My gut reaction is that there is a legally ambiguous game that governments play in terms of combatants vs terrorists vs criminals.

However I'm not sure this story nails it. These guys were UK citizens planning an attack in the UK and were arrested and tried in the UK. The fact that some other people were assassinated in Syria doesn't seem to me to prove an inconsistency.

We have other wars, like those on drugs.

If I was caught with half a kilo of top-grade cocaine at a UK airport, I'd expect to see the inside of a prison cell. If I was carrying that same amount towards a South American airport on my way to the UK, would I expect a drone strike?

(Dave W. Clearly, some of us have lives...)

South America isn't like Syria. Drugs in Columbia might be described as a war zone, but actually they aren't. On the other hand Syria really is a war zone.

No, it's not. But the expectation is that my government won't try to kill me for an offence that would otherwise get me gaol time. We don't have a death penalty. Except that we clearly do, outside of any Act passed in parliament, because drones make it easy to circumvent the usual procedures and rules of governance.

quote:

Would you feel better if the two men in question had been classed as enemy spies, found guilty by a military tribunal, and then shot?

quote:
We have other wars, like those on drugs.

If I was caught with half a kilo of top-grade cocaine at a UK airport, I'd expect to see the inside of a prison cell. If I was carrying that same amount towards a South American airport on my way to the UK, would I expect a drone strike?

(Dave W. Clearly, some of us have lives...)

I think you'd probably expect to deal with the local law enforcement agency. That doesn't seem to be an option in Raqqa.

I don't think the difference in treatment is as novel as you seem to think. If a citizen of an Allied country had traveled to Germany on the eve of WWII and joined the German army, do you think the army of his country of origin would have considered him to be deserving of special protection against armed attack because of his citizenship?

quote:
If a citizen of an Allied country had traveled to Germany on the eve of WWII and joined the German army, do you think the army of his country of origin would have considered him to be deserving of special protection against armed attack because of his citizenship?

Seriously? That's your analogy? The whole point of this part of the conversation, as far as I'm concerned, is to explore the disparity of treatment of UK nationals based on where they are, as opposed to what they're doing.

Then you wheel out WWII where we hanged traitors. The laws that allowed for that were later repealed, when they weren't needed. They have not been reintroduced. So why are we killing UK citizens abroad?

quote:

I don't think the difference in treatment is as novel as you seem to think. If a citizen of an Allied country had traveled to Germany on the eve of WWII and joined the German army, do you think the army of his country of origin would have considered him to be deserving of special protection against armed attack because of his citizenship?

Of course not - but the huge difference is that he would have been taking part in a formal conflict under which he would have been covered by the various international and national laws of conduct in wartime (modulo the exceptions mentioned above which no longer exist).

quote:
They have not been reintroduced. So why are we killing UK citizens abroad?

Because we can. Because it is easy. Because it is there, and not here. Because many UK and US citizens don't consider Muslims "true" countryman. Because it happens in places that are full of dirty, nasty foreigners who all hate us and all would kill us if they could.
Pick whichever reason(s) suit,

quote:
quote:
They have not been reintroduced. So why are we killing UK citizens abroad?

Because we can. Because it is easy. Because it is there, and not here. Because many UK and US citizens don't consider Muslims "true" countryman. Because it happens in places that are full of dirty, nasty foreigners who all hate us and all would kill us if they could.

I thought also it was a trial run. Try several assassinations, and see what the reaction is. We know that the media will mostly react favourably, e.g. 'Kill, kill, kill the murdering bastards', or something like that. But how will the rest of polite society react?

I would guess also that the legality of drones would be extended from the legality of snipers in war situations. Quote, 'The prohibition on assassination does not preclude attacks on individual soldiers or officers of the enemy, whether in the zone of hostilities, occupied territory, or elsewhere'.

http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/armylaw1992&div=55&id=&page=

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I would guess also that the legality of drones would be extended from the legality of snipers in war situations. Quote, 'The prohibition on assassination does not preclude attacks on individual soldiers or officers of the enemy, whether in the zone of hostilities, occupied territory, or elsewhere'.

http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/armylaw1992&div=55&id=&page=

Interesting. It would seem to allow shooting of people in drone operating countries.

quote:
quote:
If a citizen of an Allied country had traveled to Germany on the eve of WWII and joined the German army, do you think the army of his country of origin would have considered him to be deserving of special protection against armed attack because of his citizenship?

Seriously? That's your analogy? The whole point of this part of the conversation, as far as I'm concerned, is to explore the disparity of treatment of UK nationals based on where they are, as opposed to what they're doing.

Then you wheel out WWII where we hanged traitors. The laws that allowed for that were later repealed, when they weren't needed. They have not been reintroduced. So why are we killing UK citizens abroad?

Yes, seriously, that's my analogy. Running off to join ISIS and take part in armed attacks is somewhat analogous to signing up with the Wehrmacht; in neither case would I expect possession of a UK passport to convey special protection, and I don't understand why you seem to think it should.

What's so special about being a UK citizen? You haven't kept the death penalty for foreigners who commit crimes in the UK, have you? And British soldiers are still expected to shoot people without getting individualized court orders, aren't they?

I don't see the principled objection to killing UK nationals in Raqqa as opposed to anyone else who there who isn't a UK national.

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:
[same as above]

Of course not - but the huge difference is that he would have been taking part in a formal conflict under which he would have been covered by the various international and national laws of conduct in wartime (modulo the exceptions mentioned above which no longer exist).
To be sure, though he'd have had to comply with a number of restrictions on his own behavior to avail himself of some of those protections.

But my point is that he would not have enjoyed, by virtue of his UK citizenship, some special protection against being shot in an attack by Allied forces.

quote:
So why are we killing UK citizens abroad?

What on earth does being a UK citizen have anything to do with anything? Are you suggesting it's OK to shoot a foreigner who's driving around in an ISIS truck terrorising people, but not OK to shoot a Britisher?

quote:

I'm not wild about military action full stop but I don't see that a useful understanding of the situation can be gained by picking reasons that suit.

I think we should allow that some people really believe that military action is justified given the threat and that this is part of it. There isn't a need to paint them all as psychopaths.

quote:
Yes, seriously, that's my analogy. Running off to join ISIS and take part in armed attacks is somewhat analogous to signing up with the Wehrmacht; in neither case would I expect possession of a UK passport to convey special protection, and I don't understand why you seem to think it should.

Why you don't understand is a matter for you.

But you need to consider why a UK passport does convey special protection when a UK citizen is found doing the same thing in Luton as some are doing in Raqqa. You've never come up with a cogent response to that.

Do you think we should hang ISIS recruits at Tyburn? If not, why not?

I would say the location and context is more important than the passport.

In other words you could either say it is legitimate to declare military action in Syria and kill enemy combatants regardless of their passport, and regard Luton as an area covered by civil law and therefore arrest and charge people irrespective of their passport.

(Personally I would prefer not to be at war to start with but I'm uncomfortable with giving UK citizens engaged in acts of war in a war zone a privilege that other citizens don't get).

You could declare Syria a war zone in which we're involved. That would, however, mean we have to decide who our enemy is - pick one or more of a dozen competing factions - and at least who we're not intending to bomb.

At that's partially what we've done. Except we killed two UK citizens who'd joined ISIS before that point. And not just "we bombed this target, and a UK national died", but a "we tracked their mobile phone and launched a missile at it in a deliberate targeting, hoping we'd kill him" way.

No civilian courts involved at all. Judge, jury, and executioner. I feel deeply uncomfortable and conflicted about that. No one's saying these were good people. No one's saying that it was possible to go and arrest them.

But if belonging to ISIS is a capital crime, why aren't we executing people caught going to Syria?

The logic behind shooting an enemy combatant is not that being an enemy combatant is a crime punishable by death, but that the options are that or concede a strategic advantage with attendant further loss of life/territory/wealth/whatever the government has decided is more important than peace.

But I agree with your deep discomfort. Where we disagree is that I don't see the logical inconsistency in not denying human rights in the UK where the options are different.

The issue at heart is whether the means justify the ends in the sense of killing people where due process is not an option. I am not a total pacifist, although on utilitarian grounds I am quite close in that I think the outcomes of war are almost always worse than one imagined them to be when justifying the war.

I am not in favour of killing anyone in Syria but I don't think those who are need to justify why they don't want to kill people in Luton to be logically consistent.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Seems like we need a new thread on the inherent violence of drone warfare.

I haven't been following this thread, and it's possible someone has already pointed this out.

Isn't all warfare inherently violent? Have I missed something? Is there a non-violent form of warfare? How has humanity somehow not spotted this over all the centuries? Is there some agency that can make everybody fight with rolled-up newspapers?

The trouble with that argument is that it can be used to justify cluster bombing civilians and laying landmines across the country. All war is bad but some acts are even worse. Defining a war-crime and having a sanction might restrain some of the extremes of evil that humans have to offer.

quote:
quote:

Why you don't understand is a matter for you.
Or, alternatively, a matter for you to explain (if you care to) since it's your position and this is a discussion board. What are your grounds for thinking so?
quote:
But you need to consider why a UK passport does convey special protection when a UK citizen is found doing the same thing in Luton as some are doing in Raqqa. You've never come up with a cogent response to that.

I don't accept the premise of your question; I don't believe that it does provide special protection.

I'm open to correction, however. Are foreigners accused of crimes in the UK supposed to be treated differently from UK nationals?

Aaaand someone who's never heard of extradition... [Roll Eyes]

Extradition is difficult for the UK government to effect in Syria.

Yes, of course. That's the Human Rights Act's doing. And since we've signed Protocol 13 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, we've given up the use of the death penalty even in times of war.

About those drones...?

I've no idea what you are talking about although clearly it is something clever and sarcastic.

But I think it is ISIS that makes extradition tricky rather than anything abstract.

quote:
Aaaand someone who's never heard of extradition... [Roll Eyes]

What's this supposed to mean? Being a UK national gives you special protection against extradition? Or a special right to extradition?

Or the UK really should be trying to extradite these guys from Syria rather than attacking them with drones? But then what difference would it make whether they're UK nationals or not?

Really, Doc Tor, you're hardly in a position to be complaining about a lack of cogent replies.

I have only limited time and energy to waste on you, Dave W. If you want to actually engage, then please do better.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, other people are also concerned about murder charges being laid on forces personnel. MPs, for example.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

At the risk (OK, with the intention) of junior hosting... what board is this?

hosting/

One where we take a much dimmer view of junior hosting than we do of arguments running a bit hot sometimes.

In other news Hell is, as I understand it, open for business.

/hosting

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

You're the boss, boss.

quote:
No one's saying these were good people. No one's saying that it was possible to go and arrest them.

But if belonging to ISIS is a capital crime, why aren't we executing people caught going to Syria?

I still think that what we're talking about is best thought of as a grey area between policing criminal activity on the one hand and on the other hand military action against a hostile country that is actively threatening one's own.

Discussing what rules of engagement might be appropriate for that grey area is entirely reasonable. The sort of deliberate obtuseness that insists on trying to apply the crime paradigm as if there were no other option comes across as less reasonable...

So war is a Christian option?

quote:
military action against a hostile country that is actively threatening one's own

This keeps on being wheeled out as a reason. Except when we insist ISIS aren't a state.

There's a huge unwillingness to grapple with the moral complexities and contradictions of this situation. We say one thing for domestic consumption (ISIS are criminals, they're not a state), do another thing (we've declared war on ISIS, anyone in their territory is a target), gaol ISIS sympathisers here, order targeted assassinations of them abroad...

At least the cross-party Human Rights Committee are trying to tackle them.

quote:
This keeps on being wheeled out as a reason. Except when we insist ISIS aren't a state.

It seems that the following are options:

1. ISIS is a state (or state-like enough to be treated as one).

2. ISIS are a group of insurrectionists engaged in civil war in multiple countries in the Middle East.

I think either of those options makes engaging in combat operations against them possible.

I don't think it makes any sense to describe them as "criminals" implying that they are some sort of street gang or Mafia. I could hope that the use of the word "criminals" by certain parties is intended to imply 2 rather than 1, and not intend to imply that they're a kind of Muslim Mafia.

ETA: People who blow up airports and the like in Europe in support of ISIS are fifth columnists and criminals.

[ 18. May 2016, 00:40: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

quote:
I have only limited time and energy to waste on you, Dave W. If you want to actually engage, then please do better.

You're right, it does seem rather pointless. Still, I felt certain that if we just tried we could reach a common understanding, and so we have: we both agree that one of us is utterly failing to engage.

quote:
gaol ISIS sympathisers here, order targeted assassinations of them abroad...

This is the bit I was trying to engage in. I didn't really get your last few replies, but I thought I'd made a reasonable argument as to why this wasn't necessarily inconsistent.

To clarify further, is being an ISIS sympathiser actually a crime? Putting "I have a soft spot for ISIS" on my blog wouldn't lead to criminal proceedings would it? (Although I can see how I might end up with some surveillance attention). It must be plans to contribute somehow or recruit to the cause or something that are criminal. Likewise I don't think anyone argues that anyone in ISIS territory is a target.

You talk of grappling with complexities, I think simplistic caricatures of the other view are also a way of failing to grapple with complexities.

I agree it's not necessarily inconsistent, but that the legal framework to deal with such inconsistencies isn't in place. And moreover, that situation is being deliberately perpetuated in order to blur the rules of engagement, because it allows what in stricter circumstances would be prohibited.

So we have a situation in which UK citizens have joined ISIS and are actively recruiting for them via social media. In what circumstances does that mean they should be killed? Given (a) we don't have the death penalty and (b) we didn't have authorisation from parliament for military action in Syria at the time (and explicitly that we didn't)

Legally speaking does the PM actually need authorization from parliament before authorizing the military to kill citizens of any country that are judged to be a threat?

My impression is that you couldn't run a military without that degree of flexibility which is one of the reasons why I'm against war. But legally speaking I don't know that there's a problem for the powers that be here.

quote:

So we have a situation in which UK citizens have joined ISIS and are actively recruiting for them via social media. In what circumstances does that mean they should be killed?

I don't think the fact that these people are UK citizens makes a difference. If we shouldn't order a drone strike against someone from Birmingham who is up to no good in the Middle East, we equally shouldn't order a drone strike against his friend from Baghdad who is doing exactly the same thing.

quote:
quote:

So we have a situation in which UK citizens have joined ISIS and are actively recruiting for them via social media. In what circumstances does that mean they should be killed?

I don't think the fact that these people are UK citizens makes a difference.
Agree that their citizenship shouldn't make a difference. But where they carry out their activities does, for practical rather than moral reasons.

Imagine it's a century ago.

Someone who is caught in England deliberately aiding the German war effort might be arrested and tried by a jury of their peers under English law. Which might be for treason and might incur the death penalty, but might not.

Someone who is caught in the British trenches deliberately aiding the German war effort might if apparently unarmed be captured. If in a German uniform they would be a POW and imprisoned until the end of the war. If not in uniform they could be executed by firing squad as a spy.

If someone is seen on the other side of the lines deliberately aiding the German war effort, they might be targeted by sniper, artillery or aircraft. But there would be no realistic possibility of capture and no process of law.

Where you are makes a difference.

quote:
All war is bad but some acts are even worse. Defining a war-crime and having a sanction might restrain some of the extremes of evil that humans have to offer.

I get this, but time and time again we see in warfare a fight that begins with the gloves on and often ends with the gloves off.
Examples being that of gas use in WW1 and the indiscriminate area bombing of civilians in WW2.

While Drone use does make the struggle against terror extremists look very one-sided, and unethical, this will no longer appear the case if/when the opponent acquires and deploys nuclear technology,(as much as we hope such a day never arrives).

History will long wrangle as to who provoked who in the war on terror. War ISTM is a lethal game of raising the stakes. A game once started that is notoriously difficult to stop.

quote:
While Drone use does make the struggle against terror extremists look very one-sided, and unethical, this will no longer appear the case if/when the opponent acquires and deploys nuclear technology,(as much as we hope such a day never arrives).

When you say one-sided it sounds as if taking advantage of superior technology isn't fair. But I think that isn't what you mean judging by your other posts?

I think drones are unethical if they kill civilians and engage in assassinations outside the Geneva convention, but not simply because they deliver a strategic advantage.

quote:

History will long wrangle as to who provoked who in the war on terror. War ISTM is a lethal game of raising the stakes. A game once started that is notoriously difficult to stop.

What would you say then of the use of Greek Fire by the Eastern Empire? A technological advantage if ever there were on. The invention of siege engines is another example.

Quite what do you mean please by the second paragraph I have quoted? That is not really a consequence of the use of drones.

I'm sort of saying , probably in a convoluted way, that drones are a weapon of choice as is the suicide bomber. The day the latter is armed with a nuke is the one before a drone does something similar

I suppose that a similarity is that suicide bombers and drones both commonly deliver their weapons at some distance from the supporting country. when technology reaches the stage when your suggested events occurs, we may already have some superior method of detection before the event.

quote:
I'm sort of saying , probably in a convoluted way, that drones are a weapon of choice as is the suicide bomber.

I don't see this. Drones are being chosen by governments who aim for targeted assassinations, suicide bombers by terrorists who want to kill innocent bystanders. The are arguments about the morality and accuracy of both methods, but I don't see any sense in which the choices can be compared.

quote:
Drones are being chosen by governments who aim for targeted assassinations, suicide bombers by terrorists who want to kill innocent bystanders. There are arguments about the morality and accuracy of both methods, but I don't see any sense in which the choices can be compared.

They are comparable insomuch as those doing the directing, and issuing of instructions have aims.

AFAIUI, the all-encompassing term "Terrorist" is currently applied to groups determined to undermine Western interests, this is their aim and they will use tactics, methods, and the resources at their disposal to try and achieve it.
The aim of the West is to protect it's interests without causing moral outrage among wider communities or creating unpopularity at home with returning body-bags

Drones warfare is solution of sorts in the absence a diplomatic solution, and there seems precious little sign of that. In fact, given the diversity of Radical extremism, the pessimist in me says a diplomatic solution is nigh on impossible.

Well in that sense most human acts are comparable but not in a very useful way.

I doubt a diplomatic solution with the leadership of ISIS is possible, but I think there are political solutions that would undermine a lot of the Sunni support for ISIS.

For instance the invasion into Iraq has led to a lot of antipathy and disaffection among Sunni Muslims in the area that leads them toward sympathy with ISIS. I suspect many could take or leave the religious fundamentalism, it is the political power games that are more important.

I think that's right. It can work, witness the turnaround among Sunni sheikhs and tribes, who began to fight against Al Qaeda in Iraq, and in fact, defeated them. Of course, much water has gone under the bridge since - considerable suspicion of the Iraqui govt, who are seen to have reneged on a deal, and in Syria, who is ever going to trust Assad again?

It means you have to be very careful about who you assassinate, as you risk stirring up fresh opposition to the West. I guess the Russians don't care about that, or may even be glad of it.

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

Bumping this thread because of the events in Dallas. From the Atlantic:

quote:
“We saw no other option but to use our bomb robot and place a device on its extension for it to detonate where the suspect was,” Chief David Brown said in a press conference Friday morning. “Other options would have exposed our officers to grave danger. The suspect is deceased … He’s been deceased because of a detonation of the bomb.”
This would seem to bear all the necessary characteristics of a "drone" and "drone warfare"; a remotely-controlled robot used to deliver a lethal payload.

In a certain sense this was inevitable. Counter-insurgency techniques used in foreign conflicts have a long history of being adopted for domestic law enforcement use. One historical example is the way techniques used to extract intelligence from Filipino and Moro insurgents in the early twentieth century were adopted by American police (many of whom were veterans who served in the Philippines) to force confessions out of criminal suspects.

So do the same caveats, precautions, and provisos apply to domestically-used killer drones, or should a government use a different (higher? lower?) standard when using such technology against its own citizens?

quote:
Originally posted by Merchant Trader:
I think "Eye in the Sky" really brings home all the dilemnas:

quote:
EYE IN THE SKY stars Helen Mirren as Colonel Katherine Powell, a UK-based military officer in command of a top secret drone operation to capture terrorists in Kenya. Through remote surveillance and on-the-ground intel, Powell discovers the targets are planning a suicide bombing and the mission escalates from “capture” to “kill.” But as American pilot Steve Watts (Aaron Paul) is about to engage, a nine-year old girl enters the kill zone, triggering an international dispute reaching the highest levels of US and British government over the moral, political, and personal implications of modern warfare.

Having just watched this film, I second this. Eye in the Sky gives an extremely accurate depiction of the process behind a drone strike from start to finish, including from the view of the drone operators. It takes no political stance, and would help clear up some of the misconceptions many appear to have regarding what a drone pilot actually sees vis-à-vis the pilot of a traditional, manned aircraft.

Yeah, perhaps Not accurate enough.

quote:
Yeah, perhaps Not accurate enough.

As the article you cite freely admits, some license was taken for the purpose of making it a movie. No one would pay to go watch a film where the target was only ever visible in grainy footage, and doing so would have been counterproductive to the director's goal of ensuring that the audience saw the victims of the drone strike in question as people, rather than just statistical collateral damage.

And in any case, to the point I was making, it remains extremely accurate in depicting the process from the drone pilot's point of view, in illustrating what sort of information to which he or she will be exposed in any strike, regardless of the liberties the film takes in terms of depicting the accuracy of intelligence used by the higher-up decision makers, which is a completely separate issue.

quote:
No one would pay to go watch a film where the target was only ever visible in grainy footage, and doing so would have been counterproductive to the director's goal of ensuring that the audience saw the victims of the drone strike in question as people, rather than just statistical collateral damage.
And in any case, to the point I was making, it remains extremely accurate in depicting the process from the drone pilot's point of view, in illustrating what sort of information to which he or she will be exposed in any strike, regardless of the liberties the film takes in terms of depicting the accuracy of intelligence used by the higher-up decision makers, which is a completely separate issue.

I haven't seen the film so I will not comment as to the accuracy of the drone pilot's POV. However, since it is only one part of the process, the rest is relevant. Especially in a discussion of the ethics of using drones, which this is.
If your point was only to separate out the pilot's experience, then conditionally based on your comment's accuracy, fair enough.

© Ship of Fools 2016