Thread: Pokemon Go Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030166

Posted by Humble Servant (# 18391) on :

Given the massive overnight success of the new augmented reality game, are there any lessons that Christians can learn from this phenomenon? If imaginary creatures can mobilise and unite a nation in this way, how can we convey the love of God in an equally compelling way?

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

By not doing a Christian imitation of Pokémon Go.

The biggest turn-offs are when Christians slavishly follow the world's latest fad, and do so far less well than the original.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

Our church is a pokegym. Inevitably captured by one of the congregation.

How should we respond? Put up a sign saying players are welcome, perhaps some bottled water, and a rubbish bin, and the times of the next service.

Posted by gog (# 15615) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
How should we respond? Put up a sign saying players are welcome, perhaps some bottled water, and a rubbish bin, and the times of the next service.

Also if you can free wi-fi, then people will stay around longer as it doesn't eat into their data

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Power strips, to recharge...

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Our church is a pokegym. Inevitably captured by one of the congregation.

As it is a church, I would think you could make a case that the little pokie-creatures have sought sanctuary and nobody should be allowed to capture or do anything to them while they remain in the church.

Unless, of course, the players bring canned goods for the food closet. Then they can play with a clear conscience under the theory that, if they are that interested in imaginary creatures, perhaps they could also show a little care for some of God's actual creatures in need of help.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Brilliant, Hedgehog! [Smile]

The Episcopal church around the block from me is a pokegym. Hm.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Someone goes into a church with their Poke-Go app and finds Jesus.
Darn it, Jesus ain't on the list of finds [Roll Eyes]

Posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger (# 8891) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
By not doing a Christian imitation of Pokémon Go.

What would that even look like?

Going round collecting little crosses and bible verses?

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

Angels and demons?

Wasn't their some godawful early video game where one collected "grace" and was attacked by " temptation", and if you lost you got sent to a graphic representation of Hell?

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

H'mm, the stuff of nightmares, and we wonder why the secular majority prefer Pokemon go.

It was very short lived, as I understand. Even bible thumpers have limits

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

The ability to interact with the whole of your surroundings through your phone and your earbuds has been going on with apps for over 4 years now. Fitness apps, for example.

Pokemon doesn't have a monopoly on this interaction.

Although I agree an attempt to create a Christian Pokemon Go would be bad, I think there is a place for a Christian version of Ingress.

I would suggest that there is a market for an app that subtley points out places where the divine can be experienced. Shelters, nature, things like that.

Don't capture...donate to build up and get points for the building up.

As I said, builds off of the communal discovery point of Ingress more then individualistic capturing that is Pokemon.

Would probably make a bit of money but not a huge amount.

I also like this subtle critique of Pokemon done years ago.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

Not a church activity, but an example of how some Syrian activists are trying to use the global popularity of Pokémon Go to remind people of the wretched and hideous situation that people in Syria are facing.

BBC article here .

It could be that showing compassion and forwarding the publicity to those interested might be a good thing, especially in churches that are embaracing the chance to be neighbourly that comes from being a Pokéstop or a Pokégym and are offering phone charging strips, coffee, lemonade and flyers with service times and activities/help the church can provide.

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

Just coming back aboard after some time ashore...

Pokestops and Pokegyms were populated from Niantic's prior game, Ingress, where players were able to submit portals. By definition, portals were places of inspiration where people are drawn to gather--hence, many churches were portals, and are now stops or gyms.

To the OP's question--
Don't try to be cute or hip or with it--that just comes across as condescending. If you want to use the game to bring people to your church, maybe partner with other locations on something like a food truck event, or host an evening or weekend afternoon event with drinks and snacks for the kids to play in a safe place. Keep the proselytizing to a minimum, though. You may get folks returning for services due to your friendliness.

Posted by The Midge (# 2398) on :

Hasn't the Church got to wait at least ten years to jump on a bandwagon? Preferably waiting until moss has started to grow on the wheels.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
Hasn't the Church got to wait at least ten years to jump on a bandwagon? Preferably waiting until moss has started to grow on the wheels.

Only ten years? You hasty radical!! If I had your phone number I would jolly well get on my rotary phone and give you a piece of my mind! And what are these "wheel" things of which you speak?

Back on topic, I have to admit that I am getting a little tired of roving Pokémon Go bands around my home. I live in an historic town, near a park. Every day when I come home from work, I see dozens of these players wandering the street (some with less attention than others, which makes driving so much more interesting) in only a three block area. And apparently they are driving in, because parking spaces are now at a premium. I'm lucky if I can park within a block of my house.

I know they are not hurting anything, and they are having fun (of a sort), and so I concentrate on being pleasant, but it is beginning to feel more and more like an itch you can't scratch. Not really a problem, but darn irritating.

Posted by Humble Servant (# 18391) on :

This sounded interesting.
quote:

Pokemon fanatics will swarm Gloucester Cathedral tomorrow for the beginning of the first mass...

until I read on.

[ 05. August 2016, 21:32: Message edited by: Humble Servant ]

© Ship of Fools 2016