Thread: When do you start Christmas Shopping? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030248

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

I have been receiving Christmas Catalogues since early this month. The local Charity has already started to promote their Christmas fair in November. All of this makes me wonder when do ship mates do their Holiday shopping?

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I like to do it year-round. If I see something I know someone would like, I buy it and put it away until Christmas or a birthday. This keeps shopping from turning into a chore.

Moo

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I like to do it year-round. If I see something I know someone would like, I buy it and put it away until Christmas or a birthday. This keeps shopping from turning into a chore.

Moo

Me too, especially when I travel. I have no family, so I just buy a few small gifts for close friends.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I too pick up stuff year round. Then I put it in a 'safe' place where there is a fair chance of a} forgetting where I've put it or b} forgetting that I bought it at all. Have recently discovered a cache of 'presents' dating back at least five years.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I used to do it throughout the year; if you see something that would be the perfect present in, say, July, you can't guarantee a shop will still have it in December - or that it won't have been repackaged with other items the recipient won't use and sold for an inflated price with Christmas packaging.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Jacobsen my mother frequently did that. After she died we found a cat mug in the top cupboard where important papers were kept. Everyone agreed it would have been bought for me, but no one knew how long it had been there as she would have been unable to climb up there for at least 5 years before her death.

I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet, but I'm kind of Christmassed out, having sewn 11 Christmas ornaments to fundraise for a school camp early next year. I've already sold 2.

Huia

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

What is this Christmas Shopping of which you speak?

Happily down here Christmas is primarily a religious festival, I can't imagine why.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

2 WEEKS AGO

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

This is my strategy, too. It allows me to find things that I know will make perfect gifts for people on my list. And it helps me avoid buying something that isn't right just to get it to the tree on time.

sabine

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I do it year round too. I aim to be finished by the end of October, I hate shopping especially in crowds.

Two more shopping days left!!

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

I begun Christmas shopping in Cornwall in June, as there was a specific item a friend likes - a Cornwall calendar which I get from Truro cathedral. I've now got over half of my present buying done, including two CDs by a group we helped crowdfund.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

About five o'clock on Christmas Eve ... [Big Grin]

Seriously, what we usually do is get a catalogue from the Wine Society and send stuff to family in the UK, as their prices include postage to as many UK addresses as you want, and they do lovely foodie things, both alcoholic and otherwise.

People here will probably get home-made foodie things, although this may depend on whether we have our own place by then (and our belongings to make their manufacture possible).

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I have just ordered for most of my grandchildren from a great science type site down here. That leaves something more for the 14 year old and have yet to think of something for her cousin going into the senior years at high school and the eldest I think will get an advanced driving course to be shared with a couple of aunts/uncles. He is 18 shortly, a good driver already but should get value fro the course.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

I am with Wodders. I buy for my grandson (He likes e-transfers into his bank account now, I sometimes buy other little gifts if I feel flush.

In Canada, if I am out for Christmas, I bring foodstuffs and coffee and alcohol (as required) by my hosts.

Done and dusted. Ignore the stores which will be decorated like crazy after Remembrance Day. I sometimes stop to watch the littlies visiting Santa Claus/Pere Noel for the annual, very expensive photo shoot. Some even actually talk to the old geezer.

© Ship of Fools 2016