Thread: Bunnies, kittens, candyfloss and hope Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030252

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

On this darkest of days, people have different coping mechanisms. If you want to let off steam, there are a couple of threads in Hell.

This is for those of us who take a different tack and want to be reassured that there is good in the world. You might consider it a form of escapism, and that's fine.

Since this is supposed to be a christian website, let's take as our inspiration Philippians 4:8
quote:
Whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things
So this is your space to show us all what is good about the world, what restores/repairs your faith in humanity, that which can bring a smile or bring us peace.

Go for it...

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Flashmobs/random acts of culture - here's one from Russia, with some nice spontaneous laughter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8nvPjKMDh0&nohtml5=False

IJ

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

A friend sent me a link to an article on how knitting (and other crafts) had the equivalent benefits of meditation. In which case I ought to be the Dalai Lama.

But it is always good to create something. Even if it is only a woolly scarf or a cake. If you can then find someone who really needs a scarf or a piece of cake and give it to them, even better.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Someone, seeing that I looked fed up, has just offered me some cheese.

Regretfully I had to decline, but in the same spirit, I offer you this. There are still good things in the world to enjoy.

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

I bring GIN. And soft drinks.

Frankly, 2016 can bog right off ...

Tubbs

Sorry you had to refuse the CHEESE, Ariel - may I have it instead, please?

There's also ALE, of course, and crusty WHITE BREAD, to go nicely with the aforementioned.

This thread is upcheering me already... [Smile]

IJ

Posted by Doone (# 18470) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
A friend sent me a link to an article on how knitting (and other crafts) had the equivalent benefits of meditation. In which case I ought to be the Dalai Lama.

But it is always good to create something. Even if it is only a woolly scarf or a cake. If you can then find someone who really needs a scarf or a piece of cake and give it to them, even better.

This morning I've been knitting a small penguin and baked some cheese biscuits! [Yipee]

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

I am heading towards emergency cake.

A nice French recipe:

Ingredients:
150 g flour
3 tsp baking powder (if using SR flour, add 1 tsp extra baking powder)
150 g sugar
2 eggs
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp oil
1 tbsp white rum
3 apples, peeled, 2 chopped fairly fine and 1 sliced

Method: heat the oven to 210°C. Throw all the ingredients except the apples in a bowl and mix with the electric beater to make a smooth batter. Stir in the chopped apples. Pour into a greased 20cm tin.

Put in the oven for about 5 minutes. Take it out again and layer the sliced apples on top (if you put them on the top at the start, they may sink). Put it back for about half an hour, until a knife comes out clean.

You know have emergency cake.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Returning you to the comfort of childhood. Where even Trumpton is reassuringly safe, calm and stable.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I headed straight for the cheese too [Smile]

I am now properly in ostrich mode - no TV, no radio news bulletins.

We went for a long two hour walk with Tatze and two older pups - marvellous therapy!

[ 09. November 2016, 12:33: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I usually work with the radio on. Can't be doing with it today.
I have Vaughan Williams on looping through fantasias on folk songs, Greensleeves, and especially Thomas Tallis, which brings to mind Julian of Norwich. Not sure she knew about what the world faces now, though.

Maybe not, but she would surely have seen today's black and dismal outlook in the light of God's goodness and love.

IJ

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

I was feeling miserable till I went for a swim and a game or two of badminton. Nothing like a bit of excerise to make me feel better. I'm also reading my way through the Anne of Green Gables series, any book like that helps.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

This is one of the times when everyone needs a dog with whom to cuddle and with whom one can discuss whatever is wrong with the world. A kiss on the nose helps a lot.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

There's a new series of Planet Earth on the BBC. That's got to count for something.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I have a text message just now from a 25 year old of my family who asks if we could have a March for Tolerance and Resistance. I will go.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Cats. All three of mine were very comforting last night and this morning.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

Tobey the cat sat beside me on the bed and purred loudly last night.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

There is still "Breaking Cat News" in the world, even if news strips have not appeared since August (for Real World reasons irrelevant to this thread).

Posted by DonLogan2 (# 15608) on :

Personally I zoned out by watching Al Murray as the "Pub Landlord" videos. A bigotted fat oaf, that parodies himself and others of his ilk made the world a better place
PROOF THAT GOD EXISTS

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
There's a new series of Planet Earth on the BBC. That's got to count for something.

And the first episode was utterly awesome! Racer snakes versus baby iguanas was thrilling TV! (Unless you happen to have a snake phobia - if so, maybe the stuff of nightmares!)

[ 09. November 2016, 17:53: Message edited by: Lucia ]

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I've just watched that. Sublime tv. So much more affirming than the real life episode of Black Mirror that we seem to be living through.

Posted by St Deird (# 7631) on :

My daughter was born two days ago. She is very cute, and just starting to figure out that faces are interesting to look at. I am remembering how lovely the soft sounds sleepy babies make are.

quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:
My daughter was born two days ago. She is very cute, and just starting to figure out that faces are interesting to look at. I am remembering how lovely the soft sounds sleepy babies make are.

How wonderful! [Yipee] That puts a happy smile on my face!

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

...and I've just been downstairs and stopped to see the twins, now three-and-a-half months, and got some big happy smiles.

Sadly I can't head for the cheese as the Dr is still restricting that but when the moment arrives...

Plus, of course, there is always cricket to watch, although I feel the pressure of a little bit of the need to be domestic today and clear out my room!

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:

Congratulations. Enjoy the sleepy noises and the cuddles.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

Has anyone mentioned CHOCOLATE?

and CHOCOLATE?

and CHOCOLATE?

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

I have lemon drizzle cake - it was one of those days yesterday requiring baking therapy.

However, CHOCOLATE...... mmmmm....

And a nice red wine too please.

And my bird feeders this morning have been hosting parakeets, pigeons, starlings, sparrows, goldfinches, great tits and two gorgeous red breasted robins who seem to be co-existing happily with no territorial disagreements.

Nephew Person took the afternoon today and we were sitting chatting outside his grandmother's house when a mongoose scuttled furtively by - shy, secretive creatures but they are lovely.

A brief period of sunshine this morning, so the bus ride to town was brightened by the lovely autumn colours on the trees...

...and there's WHISKY and CHOCOLATE for this evening...

(CHOCOLATE is proof that God loves us, and that She wants us to be happy despite Orange Men).

IJ

quote:
She wants us to be happy despite Orange Men
What have you against the Oompah-loompas? They work in the chocolate factory....

(Edited for speeling)

[ 10. November 2016, 14:09: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

And Mozart. I have been listening to some of the Piano Concertos this afternoon while updating the church website, and he is very soothing.

I had a piece of lovely news. One of my nieces has been struggling at school this year, as she's not the most organised of people, but yesterday she received a glowing school report that said the quality of her work was outstanding.

It made me a very proud uncle.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I went to a construction supply company with my parents yesterday. It was surprising to hear a Beethoven piano sonata playing in the office! Since it was a young woman working there, I asked if she was a Beethoven fan, and she said that she was playing it for her unborn son!!

What a day brightener!

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Gin and a good book. "Dog on it," by Spencer Quinn written for young adults. A mystery story told by a dog. Mindless escape just what I needed.

Ice cream. The more the better. I had two different servings of ice cream yesterday.

Nicole, that sounds wonderful - it is not [yet?!?] on my banned list - I shall go and get some later. Thanks for the idea.

I am contemplating a Plazza Special - Lazza is a local make of ice cream and a Plazza Special is a scoop each of Vanilla, Pista[chio] and Butterscotch with a few trimmings and costs, in US terms, a buck and a half!

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

It's a public holiday here today so I spent 5 hours weeding the garden. Thank goodness it started to rain then, so I could come inside with a clear conscience [Big Grin]

To celebrate my burst of energy I'm going to wallow in a lavender scented bubble bath, which will hopefully stop all my muscles seizing up entirely tomorrow morning.

I think in my enthusiasm I fed Georgie-Porgy her tea twice, so she's happy too.

Huia

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I am contemplating a Plazza Special - Lazza is a local make of ice cream and a Plazza Special is a scoop each of Vanilla, Pista[chio] and Butterscotch with a few trimmings and costs, in US terms, a buck and a half!

Ooh, that sounds lovely - three of my favourite flavours! Enjoy!

One of my post-New-Year resolutions was to go out for lunch and catch up with people in real life who I haven't seen for a long time, or only interact with through FB/email/electronic means. I'm looking forward to meeting up with some old friends I haven't seen for 2-3 years for tapas, some good wine and a catch-up.

Alas I didn't get there, I had lunch and thought I'd just rest a minute before getting dressed to go out - you can guess how that turned out!

But I shall go and buy a litre later, I think - tomorrow a neighbour boy has his 12th birthday so I might kidnap and bring him into the house and force him to eat a dish of ice cream, however much he screams!

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

Singing is always a joy, and on Wednesday we had a glorious session of folk singing (and old pop, and blues and The Fastest Banjo in the World), which made us all feel much better about the world.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Partner's out feeding the wild birds. Life goes on. I

I bought a new lipstick. Whilst I don't need a new lipstick, I did. If you see what I mean.

Tubbs

A bit of faith in humanity has been renewed in the last 24 hours. My sister's car broke down and she was told it needed a new engine. We're not a rich family and she was being quote £750 for a 2nd hand engine meant they wouldn't be able to afford Christmas or anything food pricier than Tesco Value. I was talking with my father about putting together a bailout fund for them.

At 9pm last night, a friend of hers set up a crowdfunding website and sent a link to their mutual friends.

By 8am, the full £750 had been chipped in from dozens of people adding small amounts and words of thanks for the little ways my sister had helped them out in the past.
[Axe murder] [Axe murder]

*happy sigh*

I love reading these!

Some Ship friends and I have participated in a fun narrative on the Book of Face, in which we celebrate Organists Behaving Badly™. It's like playing make-believe as children! Many thanks to those who have participated and laughed with us. [Big Grin]

I didn't buy the ice cream - neighbour boy will be at a marriage tomorrow and will probably eat far too much ice cream there - but I bought myself a bag of rather nice savoury banana chips.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
I bring GIN ...

Thank you very much - slainte mhor!. [Smile]

BTW, why has the second glass from the left got a thistle in it? [Confused]

I know it's a wee bit early, but D. reminded me the other day of this CD, which IMHO (and his) is The Best CD Of All Time™.

It's my accompaniment of choice when I'm making Christmas presents or putting up decorations.

We discovered it a an extremely boozy choir Christmas party. We were singing Christmas carols (very loudly and rather badly) in one room when one of the tenors came in from another room and said, "stop what you're doing and come and listen to this!" We did, and were immediately hooked.

[Smile]

Posted by anoesis (# 14189) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
I bring GIN ...

Thank you very much - slainte mhor!. [Smile]

BTW, why has the second glass from the left got a thistle in it? [Confused]

The second glass from the left has lavender and rosemary in it. They all look completely ravishing, but tbh I can quite happily drink gin without anything added at all.

More happiness! Upthread I mentioned the "Breaking Cat News" comic strip and that it was on hiatus. Well, the main reason it was on hiatus was that the cartoonist, Georgia Dunn, was reformulating it to fit a more traditional newspaper format. She explained that she could no longer continue the strip in the web format unless it started paying (and better than the occasional merchandise sale to fans--for example, my Christmas/Hanukkah cards this year will all be BCN cards). She needed it to be picked up by newspapers (yeah, okay, not exactly a growth industry).

Anyway, Georgia announced this week that her strip has been picked up by Universal/Uclick to be one of their new strips for 2017!!! [Yipee] The Uclick sales crew will be pitching it to newspapers and is expected to start in March/April of 2017.

It truly is a delightful strip, viewing the world from the cat viewpoint--and their world tends to be their house or backyard. It is warm, funny and family-friendly. The lead cats are based on Georgia's real cats: Elvis (a siamese who tends to dislike everybody except Georgia,whom he is devoted to); Lupin, an adventurous white who (because of any infection) is deaf; and Puck, a warm-hearted black who lost a rear leg in his youth.

So I will be sending e-mails to my local papers trying to get them to pick it up, but in the meantime I still am rejoicing that Georgia has got the Universal backing! [Axe murder]

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... Organists Behaving Badly™ ...

Surely not!! [Angel]

An Organist's Wife Has Spoken. [Big Grin]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... Organists Behaving Badly™ ...

Surely not!! [Angel]

An Organist's Wife Has Spoken. [Big Grin]

Years ago there was a wonderful thread about organists behaving badly. I looked for it in Limbo, but I couldn't find it.

Moo

I loved that thread, Moo! Good times. [Smile]

quote:
I loved that thread, Moo! Good times. [Smile]

I found the press release but not the 2003 (!) thread. Nothing to stop us doing an update and including other church musicians. I'm sure people have got up to plenty of mischief since then. [Two face]

Tubbs

[ 14. November 2016, 13:17: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

I spent the weekend at my brother's farm. They have a log burning fire. I really enjoyed setting it - very therapeutic [Smile]

Very hygge .

Tangent: could the Ship be described as "hyggelig" I wonder?

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Very hygge .

Sounds very much like the German idea of "Gemütlichkeit."

(Sorry, hosts, I can't really translate "Gemütlichkeit" -- it's often cited as a word that cannot be translated into English, but it sort of means a feeling of coziness, contentedness, comfort, and relaxation.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Very hygge .

Sounds very much like the German idea of "Gemütlichkeit."

(Sorry, hosts, I can't really translate "Gemütlichkeit" -- it's often cited as a word that cannot be translated into English, but it sort of means a feeling of coziness, contentedness, comfort, and relaxation.

Also Gezellig in Dutch (cosiness of a sort).

I saw Arrival, the new Amy Adams film, last week. It's very sad in places, but an entirely uplifting experience. In the end,

[spoiler]when it's really necessary, the pen/tentacle/linguistic studies will be mightier than the sword [/spoiler].

Posted by snowgoose (# 4394) on :

This thread is so comforting!

Jenny, my youngest cat, has been suffering with bladder stones for a couple of weeks now. She was in such pain and misery at first and we didn't know what was wrong. The vet found stones and started treating it. Treatment has included subcutaneous fluids and heavy-duty pain killers. I have been giving her two shots a day. (We haven't had to give fluids for several days now.) Mostly she has been curled up in her bed.

I am delighted to report that she is now squirming like crazy when she gets her shot. (It now takes 2 of us to give it to her: one to hold, one to stick.) She is getting into everything and knocking things off counters and chasing moths. All of which means she is feeling much better. We'll go to one shot a day before bed time for a few days and then no more shots.

We have been so worried about her. It is good to see her being a little terror again.

I have been non-stop rereading some of my favorite books, Lois McMaster Bujold's fantasys set in the world of the five gods. They are very comforting.

Curse of Chalion is one of the great fantasy novels of all time. Have you read her Sharing Knife series?

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

I may have to reread the Chalion books too. I liked Paladin of Souls even more than its predecessor.

I read The Sharing Knife books, and liked them too. Still haven't got around to Vorkosigan, though.

Brenda C, yes, I've read everything she's written. I have to say though, the Sharing Knife books are not my favs. Not that they aren't good, just that I don't like them as much as her other work.

Basso, did you know she has written three novellas originally only available in e-format set in the world of the Five Gods? Penric's Demon, Penric and the Shamen, and Penric's Mission. I just finished The Hallowed Hunt and am about to embark on rereading the Penric stories.

If I read I don't brood.

I met a young Californian on the bus today. He told me that he had fallen in love with New Zealand and wants to move here. It turned out that he had been kayaking my favourite place on the West Coast, Lake Brunner. It was so lovely to have him share his delight in the place, almost as good as re-visiting it myself. Then he asked me to identify the photo of a bird he had taken (a kea).

I was sorry to get to my stop, and he carried on to catch his plane home.

Huia

A gentle reminder that we have several threads to discuss books and book suggestions in Heaven. This is a wonderful thread to let us know that you are getting lost in reading, but please make suggestions and queries about other books in the appropriate threads.

Thanks!

jedijudy
Heaven Host

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I'm doing lot of sudoku and reading #bidenmemes. I am diligently avoiding the newspapers in favor of a new novella (Bujold's Penric's Mission) and a house-become-jungle. We had a frost and must now arrange all the six-foot tender plants in front of the inadequate windows.

The jungle invaded my living room (via Mr. Lamb) while I was out with a group of Boy Scouts freezing my butt off. The fire was lovely, though, and we had the least amount of kid bickering ever!

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

At work we have had a very keen work experience visitor from a school 25 miles away who is so enthusiastic that we've found ourselves smiling broadly and enjoying the mysteries of health care even more than usual.

Meanwhile I am also loving singing carols, even though it feels a little early before Advent really hits. We need to practice before some concerts next month.

Cattyish, Oh soul be thou as white as snow oh..

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

Things that make me feel good? My new wood-burning stove, set in the brick fireplace the installers built for me. The cats like it too.

Things that make me feel safe? In ascending order of stress management, golden age whodunnits, Georgette Heyer and closed world children's books such as the Chalet School series.

I am sitting here in an hotel room in the middle of a city [it is still early so the city is not yet much awake] I have just opened the window and I was serenaded by a little group of doves cooing away to one another. It is a lovely and comforting sound, so different from the crows we get at this hour at home in my little village.

Cuddling Mollie and watching her play with my Tatze.

Great therapy!

Mollie and Tatze

[Big Grin]

Poor Mollie on those newly sanded and varnished floors!

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'm doing lot of sudoku and reading #bidenmemes. I am diligently avoiding the newspapers in favor of a new novella (Bujold's Penric's Mission) and a house-become-jungle. We had a frost and must now arrange all the six-foot tender plants in front of the inadequate windows.

The jungle invaded my living room (via Mr. Lamb) while I was out with a group of Boy Scouts freezing my butt off. The fire was lovely, though, and we had the least amount of kid bickering ever!

The Biden memes have been the quinine in the epidemic of the last week. Love me some Joe.

Doctor Who and kittens. What more could you want?

Yes, I know. They're born killers. Even if they appear to be friendly.

Kitten Kong

Ah, they don't make them like that any more. [Big Grin] I used to love watching the Goodies.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Cuddling Mollie and watching her play with my Tatze.

Great therapy!

Mollie and Tatze

[Big Grin]

Tatze is such a loving, patient sweetheart -- and Mollie is absolutely adorable.

Dogs and puppies are the best stress busters.

[Axe murder]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

My cat sleeps in a cardboard box in the garage. I know it sounds cruel, but it is entirely his choice. He loves to come inside but wants to leave after ten minutes and he sneers at all the fuzzy cat beds I've made for him.

Always, after about two months he will suddenly shun his cardboard box for mysterious cat reasons of his own, so I get him a new one. This week, all I could find in a hurry was a little box about the size of a large toaster. I thought he wouldn't fit, but put it out, temporarily.

At three in the morning I let the dog out and I could tell by her frenzy of delighted wagging that all 15 pounds of her cat was firmly stuffed in the box. Yes it's a square box of cat with eyes. Very cute.

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Always, after about two months he will suddenly shun his cardboard box for mysterious cat reasons of his own, so I get him a new one.

I suppose it might smell a bit stale by then.

quote:
Yes it's a square box of cat with eyes. Very cute.
I'm imagining something along these lines...

Exactly! [Killing me]

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

I'm looking after a friend's cat for the weekend, and she is an adorable little thing. Spent most of the first day under the bed, so I sat up there quietly doing some writing and she came out and had a fuss.
This morning she woke me for breakfast, did the classic walking over the computer keyboard bit, and has now retired to watch the world from the bedroom window.
I think I'll be volunteering to have her to stay again.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Always, after about two months he will suddenly shun his cardboard box for mysterious cat reasons of his own, so I get him a new one.

I suppose it might smell a bit stale by then.

quote:
Yes it's a square box of cat with eyes. Very cute.
I'm imagining something along these lines...

It's instinctive -- the same reason that mother cats will suddenly take it into their heads to move the nest of kittens. Moving to a new box or domicile leaves all the fleas and parasites behind. Even if you keep your kitty well and there are no fleas, they'll instinctively do it.

Probably why my cat always chooses to sleep on the clean clothes [Roll Eyes]

Huia

Ah, that makes sense, Brenda. Now, if I could just move to a nice clean house every few months...

Dumping the ingredients into the breadmaker and two hours later, the smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the place as I take out a perfectly baked little loaf. This always makes me smile.

It sits there on the cooling rack looking plump and golden brown, and smelling so appetizing that I can almost never resist cutting a slice while it's still hot, watching the butter melt into it, and maybe spreading it with honey.

Sometimes the small pleasures are the best.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... cutting a slice while it's still hot, watching the butter melt into it, and maybe spreading it with honey ...

Absolutely. Or Tiptree raspberry jam. [Smile]

You're dead right - bread-making is one of life's most therapeutic little pleasures.

Must make a batch of loaves tomorrow. [Yipee]

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

Yes I also made bread this weekend. I prefer to use my fair hand (all that kneading is muchly therapeutic). This time I used half wholemeal flour (what the French call semi-complet) and added a load of poppy seeds. It was tasty.

Tiptree raspberry jam is yet another proof that God loves us, wants us to be happy, and supports the sale of dental floss...

IJ

Oatmeal in a normal sense is not available here but we can get porage oats - and I have found a ridiculously simple recipe for making oatcakes from them!

[Yipee]

We were in town the other day and on the way back to the car Himself spotted a bird in a tree watching us - I think it was a Montagu's Harrier.

These are by no means rare but this was right near the town centre and, like many raptors, they are very beautiful.

For some reason I cannot make the link but a quick search should sort one out for you.

Where Montagu was at the time I have no idea.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
Oatmeal in a normal sense is not available here but we can get porage oats - and I have found a ridiculously simple recipe for making oatcakes from them!

[Yipee]

I wonder if we might trouble you for that recipe? One of my life's more frustrating failures is an inability to make decent oatcakes.

I shall place it in the recipes thread.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
I shall place it in the recipes thread.

Thank you most kindly - will try it quite soon.

Posted by AuthorDiva (# 18640) on :

A good, flavorful, freshly brewed mug of coffee with half & half cream, cinnamon and a drop of vanilla extract = a little bit of Heaven on Earth!

Walking down the street and exchanging a smile with someone you have just almost collided with is another beautiful thing.

Lithuanian pea-and-smoked-flank soup....mmmmmmm...

Just the thing for warming up after a Winterfest shopping trip!

IJ

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

There's been a lot of talk of bread in this thread but a thick chunk of good seeded bread spread with salted butter is a thing of beauty by itself.
There's a bakery in Abergavenny which sells out of its multi seed bread by mid morning, it's the darkest bread I've ever had, really nutty.....I'm wanting some even as I write this.it also makes wonderful toast.

On Dr's recommendation I have been avoiding anything with wheat in it for the last month or so but today is the day I can start eating bread again!

[Yipee]

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Amen to the Joy of bread.
Fresh baked white, nutty brown bread with flour on top, plenty of butter.....all good 😊

There I was chewing at the bread machine's seedy bread when I noticed an odd thing at the back of my mouth, smooth and hard.

Detached crown, hanging on by a thread.

Dead tooth pulled loose as well. I'm going to have to have a special surgical procedure, under local anaesthetic, to remove the root.

It was my most hard working chewing tooth!

I'm going to have to be more careful with the bread.

[ 03. December 2016, 08:32: Message edited by: Penny S ]

I was feeling a bit grumpy when I exited the supermarket. A large van was parked outside with
Special Branch painted on the side.

A new firm of arborists in town.

Immediately lifted my grump [Big Grin]

Huia

And I've had some good news toothwise. The molar next to the lost one, which lost its amalgam filling after the tooth next door resigned, can be sorted with a crown, and doesn't have to go to the tooth fairy as well.

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

When the going gets tough I like to read cookbooks and right now I am finding Jane Grigson's Good Things (the 1999 paperback edition) very comforting, recipes for 'Edible Woodland Mushrooms' (those were the days), just-shelled peas and leeks. Rarely more than a few ingredients in each recipe which makes a change from gathering 27+ ingredients to compose a Yotam Ottolenghi salad.

© Ship of Fools 2016