Thread: Timewasters Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030309

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

So, we have snowdays and geoguessr; what other timewasters have you found?
Here is a new one: Land Lines

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

The "Drag" function is fun. And I just wound up 10 miles away from where I am at. [Snigger]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Yeah, I just wasted about ten minutes with Land Lines. Got a lot of Arizona- looks like you can find ANY shape in Arizona. The coolest thing that came up was Liberty Island, looking straight down on the Statue of Liberty. [Yipee]

Ooo! Ooo! Give this a whirl: Kaleidoscope Painter!

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

It's your fault I didn't get to bed at a reasonable hour last night [Biased] .

Thanks for posting that - I love it.

Huia

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:

Oooh! I remember that one from when I was first on the internet in the late 90s!

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

[/qb][/QUOTE]Oooh! I remember that one from when I was first on the internet in the late 90s! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Jigidi has been around for a few years, too.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

There are several "daily jigsaw" sites - I love them.

When I'm in the mood for Geoguesser I can have some very late nights indeed.

Does anyone else find you can be several continents away on one round, and within a few feet the next?

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

Jigidi has been around for a few years, too.

JigZone is my preferred daily timewaster.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Oooh! I remember that one from when I was first on the internet in the late 90s!
Yeah, I seem to remember seeing it at a UCLA site back around 2000. I assumed one of the Bruin nerds came up with it. I'm not sure if that is true.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I use the geoguesser version that only hangs out in the UK. I find it curious how many times it arrives in a cul-de-sac in a boring modern estate, or, conversely, down a long and winding lane with passing spaces, and never lets me use my knowledge of the geology to guess where I am. There are lots of hilly bits about the islands, but it doesn't like them very much. (Except once, when it landed by a notable mountain in the west of Scotland.) It did once land by a roundabout on the way to my local Lidl, but usually chooses places where there is nothing distinguishable.

I take a screen grab of the starting position, go off to find some sort of notice, signpost or such, and then engage Google Maps and Street View to get within a few yards/metres of the start.

Posted by Goldfish Stew (# 5512) on :

Make the neural network guess your sketches....

I still don't know if I'm more disappointed when it doesn't get 5 out of 5 or when it does.

Posted by DonLogan2 (# 15608) on :

226.2m away, BOOYAH!

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

1.3m - helped by it being at the very end of a footpath!

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

I take a screen grab of the starting position

The small flag will also take you back to the start.

I've said of GeoGuessr before that I think it adapts to one's points accumulated during the game. I was playing on my mobile, not using any assistance, only encountering one road sign with lettering, spending <30sec on any map and coming within a few hundred miles at furthest. Then, for the last map, it drops me in a spot that cannot be moved from. No roads, no trails, just a couple of pale people climbing the hill towards the camera. So I took a wild guess, based on the light and plant types. Came within a few degrees latitude, but on the wrong side of the pond.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

In the spirit of getting whatever laughs you can in troubled times, I highly recommend wasting a few minutes on trumpdonald.org/

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
In the spirit of getting whatever laughs you can in troubled times, I highly recommend wasting a few minutes on trumpdonald.org/

I must be missing something -- I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to do (or what I was supposed to do)?

Put your cursor on the horn and drag it around his head and his eyes will follow it. Then left click. The horn will blow Trump's comb-over, make him blink, and sometimes will spray him with confetti. [Snigger]

I've tried it in Internet Explorer and Opera -- the trumpet bounces up and down, but that's all. My cursor can't get it to do anything.
[Waterworks]

Chrome?

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Pigwidgeon--

Maybe check what permissions you have set for the page?

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Pigwidgeon--

Maybe check what permissions you have set for the page?

I tried that.

It looks like a cute time waster, but frankly not cute enough to install another web browser (I really didn't like Chrome when I tried it on my previous computer).

I guess I'll just have to buy my own trumpet and head to the White House...

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Yeah, it's mildly amusing, but not enough to be worth installing a whole new browser!

Posted by Mili (# 3254) on :

I like completing these, especially the colour ones. They can be pretty addictive though nonograms .

To try to be a bit more productive with my free time I'm back on Duolingo Last year I did the French course. It's fun though you have to keep revising or doing language learning elsewhere to remember it all (at least I do!) This year I have started the Irish course. They're pretty good for a free website.

[ 02. February 2017, 09:38: Message edited by: Mili ]

© Ship of Fools 2016