Thread: Dreams, remarkable and un- Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030320

Posted by Anna B (# 1439) on :

I am quite sure that we used to have a thread like this, but I can't find it, so here goes.

I'm notorious among family and friends for having funny dreams. Perhaps what's funny is that I remember them at all. Lately Mr. Trump has been putting in an appearance---in one of them, he was Henry VIII.

You?

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

The ones in which Trump appears are called nightmares. Sleeping or waking.

I sometimes get utterly surreal dreams or snippets of dreams. They have provided prompts for some of my writing. Usually, they need toning down to be comprehensible.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Mr Image is the dreamer in our family. He was so often telling me in dreams I said, "I do not want to hear about your dreams unless I am in them." Now I think he is putting me in dreams just so he can have my listening ear.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

My Lucy in the Sky nighttime moments involve flowers, almost as a planned thing. Calla lilies are a very nice image, and zooming in like I'm a wee little lady bug is quite fun. I went from there seamlessly to a paper airplane making class. I don't suppose any knows how to fold a paper airplane such that if you hold in your outstretched hand and then leap, you can fly? I thought later it was a lot like the circus in the movie Dumbo where Dumbo could fly so long as he held the magic feather. Dumbo learned the feather wasn't necessary. I don't think I'm going flying without a magic paper airplane.

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

I have a very good memory for my dreams - they are vivid, and some stay with me for years.

Because of a Jungian high school English teacher, I started keeping a dream diary some years later, as training for when I eventually went through Jungian analysis. Before I began analysis I found in rereading the diary that patterns emerged at which I couldn't have otherwise guessed. When I went into analysis, my analyst had me present a dream in written form at the beginning of each session, and then as he read it, I would lead him through the dream orally. It was a tremendously fruitful exercise. It was shocking how I would recall things in the oral account that I hadn't when I wrote it. As well, my analyst would ask questions about the dream, simple things, like was an object to the right or left, and that would trigger other, more interesting buried details.

I encourage everyone to keep a dream diary, but I have found certain strategies helpful. (1) DO NOT train yourself to wake from the dream, or worse, 'direct' it. Let your mind go play. (2) When you do record it, use the present tense. It's amazing the difference it makes. The past tense seems to make it evaporate. (3) I find that it's better to use my laptop rather than hand-write, as it allows me to insert details that have been temporarily lost. (4) Do not have any external stimuli (radio, television, music) while writing the dream. Unnecessary distractions. (5) Honour the dream. Record it faithfully, even if it's distasteful. Speak not of "real life", but of "waking life", if juxtaposing with the dream; the dream is no less real, it's just a different language for the psyche, just as Albanian is no less real than Catalan.

When time and money permit, I intend to return to analysis. I was in for forty (-two?) weeks, and it was difficult initially (Is this really worth it?), but once in, I was in deep.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Jungian highshool teacher:
Robertson Davies novels. Trilogies. All mischieviously linked, sometimes between trilogies. The Manticore is about Jungian analysis, the manticore being the subject of a dream. Such a Cunning Man he was. The stuff dreams are made of, before our bicameral minds succumbed to thumb typing and the disneyfication of fantasy and hypnagogy.

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

As a matter of fact, it was in the course of teaching us Fifth Business that that teacher introduced us to Jung.It was very odd, in that we called the classroom "Heaven," because it was alone on an isolated staircase, and somehow that amplified the strangeness of having a nearly blind Welshman (who didn't speak English until he went to school at age 7) lecture us on archetypes, saints, tokens of guilt, etc. I was very fortunate to have had a number of very good teachers, and that teacher was among the best, if not the best. He forever formed me.

As I write that, there is something dreamlike about it, as well.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

About a month before the U.S. Presidential (Pestilential?!) vote, I had a dream that was induced by a large (for me) dose of Valium, taken for a medical procedure that didn't end up being performed. Long story. An

Anyway, I dreamed that God came to visit me at home and She was a black woman full of sass, wisdom, a deep, deep love of me, and a great sense of humor. She exuded power and in the dream I was slightly scared of her but attracted to her all the same. She told me a lot of things about my life and showed me things she wanted me to do with the remainder of it. At one point in my dream/vision?, She and I were hovering in the air above the city where I spent the first ten years of my life. We were talking and She said, "I very much would like to have a deeper relationship with you but you need to start listening and trusting Me! For instance, I want you to stop worrying about who is going to be the next U.S. President! All of your worrying is stealing the peace and joy I mean for you to have. Do you trust Me or don't you?!" I looked at my feet and kind of muttered, "Well, yeah, I trust You but I don't trust Donald F**king Trump!"
This didn't sit well with Her. She looked right at me and Her gaze burned me to my soul. "That's not good enough, little one and you know it!". We talked some more and she told me some things that She would like me to get more involved with and there was a lot more but, as time goes by, I'm forgetting most of it. When I woke up, I remembered being with God and I was happy but I had a feeling that Trump was going to win the election and that made me depressed for several days. When I heard that he had won, I just sat at my drawing table and thought, "Well, the world had to come to an end sometime. I wonder if I'll have enough time to do the things God wants me to do?"

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:
I am quite sure that we used to have a thread like this, but I can't find it, so here goes.

I'm notorious among family and friends for having funny dreams. Perhaps what's funny is that I remember them at all. Lately Mr. Trump has been putting in an appearance---in one of them, he was Henry VIII.

You?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
thank you - that really made me laugh out loud!!

If I were a writer, I think I could make a fortune with stories from the complicated, colourful sagas I dream. But I'm not a writer!!

[ 16. February 2017, 15:44: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Perhaps what's funny is that I remember them at all. Lately Mr. Trump has been putting in an appearance---in one of them, he was Henry VIII.

Only three wives to go -- he's halfway there.

Posted by Anna B (# 1439) on :

(The other part of the dream is that I was Elizabeth and sang to him, with lute accompaniment, "You Can't Always Get What You Want")

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
(The other part of the dream is that I was Elizabeth and sang to him, with lute accompaniment, "You Can't Always Get What You Want")

[Killing me]

© Ship of Fools 2016