Thread: Advent candle liturgy Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030436

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

We haven't been particularly happy with the liturgy involved each week for the lighting of the Advent candles. Although it does the job, it isn't exactly inspiring. For those of you who practice this ceremony, what have you found to work the best? (We are an Anglo Catholic parish.)

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

Right at the very beginning the choir sings a sort of chant-like intro and congo sing a simple response. Then a sweetly smiling cherub or an unholy screeching terror under duress lights the candle(s) which is followed by a prayer specific to the latest candle lit and service continues as normal.
That kind of thing?

Posted by Liturgylover (# 15711) on :

A little ditty that rhymes to The Holly and the Ivy.

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

Why not do the lighting during the singing of the appropriate "O" Antiphon?

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

We just light the Advent candles before the people start arriving and extinguish them when the people have gone. No liturgy or anything. Just as with the Paschal candle in paschaltide, the impression is that they've been burning all day or week.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

Because the O antiphons don't start until the week before Christmas, by which time you will have lit 3 of the candles already.

[ 11. December 2015, 15:00: Message edited by: leo ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Because the O antiphons don't start until the week before Christmas, by which time you will have lit 3 of the candles already.
Thank you -- you beat me to it.

We have the appropriate number of church school children join the procession and each lights a candle. We used to have a special prayer and/or reading but that has been dropped. (I don't know how they do it at the earlier service which is all older folks, probably the acolyte lights them.)

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Liturgylover:

I think I know the one you mean - I heard it in use at St. Mary's Primrose Hill and it strikes me as rather self-consciously 'English Use', pretty enough though...

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
quote:

Thank you -- you beat me to it.
Well, if by "the appropriate O Antiphon," one means an appropriate verse of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel," then things may be a bit different. I know of no churches of any stripe around here, at least, that restrict that hymn to Sapientia-tide, hymnals that note the appropriate day for each verse notwithstanding.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

While I am mostly a fan of John Bell, his candle lighting hymnette, also reminiscent of "the holly and the ivy", is an execrable fail.

We go for spoken versicle and response after the greeting and it "works" (whatever that means) well ...

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

We get on fine without any special liturgy. This seems to be the practice in many Episcopal churches, and in fact, the Book of Occasional Services states that special prayers or ceremonial elaboration are "undesirable." I'm sure you could find Episcopal churches that do it (I know better than to make broad statements about what anyone does or believes in my denomination), but I have never attended a church that makes a special point out of it.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

After the Entrance Hymn and Greeting, Father asks a (pre-warned) member of the congo to come up and light the appropriate candle. A short prayer (courtesy of Common Worship - Times and Seasons is then said, after which we proceed with the Confession etc.

I.

Posted by Adam. (# 4991) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
Well, if by "the appropriate O Antiphon," one means an appropriate verse of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel," then things may be a bit different. I know of no churches of any stripe around here, at least, that restrict that hymn to Sapientia-tide, hymnals that note the appropriate day for each verse notwithstanding.

I do. I don't agree with them, but I know quite a few churches that don't sing O Come, O Come till the latter part of Advent. In fact, it's what was suggested to us at the Diocesan Advent Liturgy meeting last year.

On the first Sunday of Advent, we blessed the wreath as we lit the first candle. It seems to be the custom here that on subsequent Sundays, the appropriate candles are lit before Mass and there is no special ceremony. At my old parish, we had people process in with the lit candles, and put them in place during the Opening Hymn.

Posted by Liturgylover (# 15711) on :

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
Originally posted by Liturgylover:

I think I know the one you mean - I heard it in use at St. Mary's Primrose Hill and it strikes me as rather self-consciously 'English Use', pretty enough though...
Yes, it's not bad. Also used at Holy Redeemer Clerkenwell. There is another to the tune of Personent hodie

We are using a set of prayers for refugees this year.

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
We get on fine without any special liturgy. This seems to be the practice in many Episcopal churches, and in fact, the Book of Occasional Services states that special prayers or ceremonial elaboration are "undesirable." I'm sure you could find Episcopal churches that do it (I know better than to make broad statements about what anyone does or believes in my denomination), but I have never attended a church that makes a special point out of it.

We used to have a fairly wordy mini-liturgy at the candle lighting under our former rector. Currently we just have 1+ kids light them with the aid of the rector after the opening procession. No associated prayer/scripture/etc. We continue after that with the opening acclamation.

Posted by Mockingbird (# 5818) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
We get on fine without any special liturgy. This seems to be the practice in many Episcopal churches, and in fact, the Book of Occasional Services states that special prayers or ceremonial elaboration are "undesirable."

The BOS approach is probably the best, and is the way we do it at my shack.

If you must have some rite, consider the following. The candles are best lit during either the opening dialog or during the anthem if there is one.

Officiant: Help, O King.
Congregation O Shepherd of Israel, Hosannah!

Then follows the Collect for the 1st Sunday in Advent. On the first Sunday of Advent, substitute some other prayer, possibly one modeled on Daniel 2:20-22.

An anthem may follow. Possibilities are the Matins responsory Aspiciens a longe or Psalm 80.

Then follows:

Officiant: Blessed is our God who inhabits the highest heavens, blessed is he, and blessed is the kingdom of our father David which is coming.
Congregation: Amen. Thanks be to God.

Posted by sonata3 (# 13653) on :

At my Lutheran parish, a family processes in with the altar party; after the greeting, we sing an extended, troped Kyrie (Marty Haugen's Mass of Remembrance); during the singing, a member of the family lights the appropriate candle(s). Seems to satisfy the congregation's need for a candle ritual, while not adding yet another element to the liturgy.

Posted by Cameron PM (# 18142) on :

Before the children are called in for their little lesson, the priest says a prayer over the wreathe and has an elderly lady or gentleman or an appointed child light it, with little or no ceremony, other than a slight speech such as today at the Vigil - with matching rose/pink vestments, and focussed on the "rejoicing", the "Gaudete" of both the Virgin Mother and the Christian family; that we ought to be joyful because we know Christ.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Procession in, after which the priest and a torchbearer move to the Advent wreath. 3 versicles, with the response "come, Lord Jesus", after which the torchbearer lights a taper from the near candle on the altar and lights the appropriate candle(s) on the wreath starting with purple 1. Then a short joint prayer of priest and people, everyone back into place for the service to continue in the Advent/Lent pattern.

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

In our part of ecclesia anglicana we have:
* the organ prelude
* sound of the shofar calling people to meditative quiet
* the choral prelude

then the Processional hymn leading the sanctuary party to the altar with the clergy kissing the altar (yes, we are quite Anglo-Catholic)then the celebrant and someone chosen from the congregation moves to the Advent wreath: by now we have a special mention of what candles have been lit on previous Sunday's (they are then re-lit) before some words about this Sunday's candle and a response from the congregation: for example for this Sunday:

Lighting of the Candle for Advent 3
Last Sunday we lit the candle of peace. We light it and the candle of hope again as we remember that Christ, who was born in Bethlehem, will come again to judge the world and bring it everlasting peace.
The first two purple candles are re-lit.

The Advent season encourages us to be joyful always; to pray continually and to give thanks in all circumstances; this is God's will promised to us in Jesus Christ.

Joy is like a light shining in a dark place. As we look at this candle we celebrate the joy we find in Jesus Christ.

We rejoice that 'humanity' here embraces people of diverse cultures - our Aboriginal peoples, and old and new settlers from a variety of backgrounds.

God of joy, we find great delight in the way you chose to share our humanity - born of a woman who glorified you.  Strengthen us to glorify you in faith and peace and joy.
The rose candle is lit.

Each week we add a verse from David wood's fine words: 'Lift a candle' (sung to the tune Dix.) This week we added the verse:

3. Light a candle bright and tall
for the Joy this season brings.
Joy like fountains brimming full
through our world now let it ring.
Shine within our hearts today
come, O Joy, to us, we pray.

All then return to their place and the rest of the liturgy picks up from the Sentence of the Day. This simple little addition sets the tone for Advent and its readings and music, refocusing us for the changing tonal theme each week.

quote:

BTW they were written by US (formerly USPG)

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
quote:

BTW they were written by US (formerly USPG)
I think we may have had the same one this morning.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
This simple little addition sets the tone for Advent and its readings and music, refocusing us for the changing tonal theme each week.

Well good on you for imagination and style and I hope you all enjoy it, but if that's a simple little liturgy...

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Our problem this year is simply keeping the candles alight. We bought them from our usual Reputable Supplier, but they keep going out. [Mad]

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

quote:
Well good on you for imagination and style and I hope you all enjoy it, but if that's a simple little liturgy...

Given that the candle part takes about 2 minutes from start to end (out of a hrs service), we reckon its a small part - and 'sounds' much more complex on paper than when done.

It was having three items even before the opening hymn that struck me as elaborate, but I suppose it may not when actually experienced.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

The candles are lit before the service starts and put out after everyone leaves. As wreath is hung from the rafters and must be lowered this works well. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Posted by Cranmer's baggage* (# 4937) on :

We light the candles from the previous weeks bafore the service. Presider then lights the new candle and prays a brief prayer appropriate to the theme of the day, after which the service continues as normally.

If the wreath is lit at the end of an entrance hymn at a eucharist, please can the greeting come first.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

That is indeed our practice, and yes, the greeting should always come first!

I.

So few clergy understand that.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Possibly so in your tradition, but I can hardly think of a Nonconformist service which doesn't begin with a greeting.

We have a brief Greeting, followed by a few moments for quiet reflection, then a Call to Worship and into the first hymn.

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

Yes but for us non-conformists a greeting usually means "Good morning" or the like whereas for the Anglo-Catholics it means "The Lord be with you" or something like that.

For Anglicans, if they are using Common Worship, and RCs.

And a liturgical greeting is not the minister welcoming the passive congregation. The congregational response is an integral part of the greeting.

The theory is that the minister and the congregation recogise each other as both necessary to constitute the church in that place.

[ 15. December 2015, 23:42: Message edited by: venbede ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
If the wreath is lit at the end of an entrance hymn at a eucharist, please can the greeting come first.

I'm just curious why the greeting should come before lighting the Advent candles, but not before lighting any other candles in the Sanctuary, which are presumably lit before the service starts.

I'm assuming the Advent wreath is lit with some prayer or appropriate words.

In which case it is part of the service and should come after the assembly is formed by the liturgical greeting.

quote:
I'm assuming the Advent wreath is lit with some prayer or appropriate words.

In which case it is part of the service and should come after the assembly is formed by the liturgical greeting.

But then why shouldn't the liturgical greeting come before the hymn as well? (I'm really not trying to be flippant. I've just never quite understood the idea in some liturgies that the entrance and closing hymn are more or less "outside" the liturgy, coming before the greeting and after the dismissal. Just trying to understand better.)

The hymn accompanies the entrance of the ministers and is started by the congregation before they enter.

The first words of the presiding minister after s/he enters are the greeting to which the congregation, as the priestly people of God, respond.

quote:
The hymn accompanies the entrance of the ministers and is started by the congregation before they enter.

The first words of the presiding minister after s/he enters are the greeting to which the congregation, as the priestly people of God, respond.

No, I understand that. My question is "why?" If the understanding of the greeting is that it forms the assembly, then why doesn't the assembly need to be formed before singing (praying?) the entrance hymn? Why does the assembly continue its worship by singing a hymn after being dismissed?

In my tradition, the greeting and call to worship are the first words of the service and occur before the first hymn. (If those presiding are processing, they speak these portions from the door of the church.) Likewise, the benediction/blessing and dismissal occur after the last hymn. This puts the hymns "within the brackets," so to speak, of the assembly's formation and dismissal.

I'm not meaning to be critical. It just seems to me that the understanding of the greeting forming the assembly and starting the liturgy, coupled with its placement after the entrance hymn, places the entrance hymn outside the liturgy, even though it is an act of praise of the assembly. So, I'm trying to understand the rationale behind the order.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
But then why shouldn't the liturgical greeting come before the hymn as well? (I'm really not trying to be flippant. I've just never quite understood the idea in some liturgies that the entrance and closing hymn are more or less "outside" the liturgy, coming before the greeting and after the dismissal. Just trying to understand better.)

Then there's our parish, where the entrance hymn covers the entrance of the altar party from the sacristy and the sprinkling of the altar, ministers, and faithful; then the Introit chant covers the sacred ministers' formal entrance up the center aisle. We don't use the Asperges chant or texts. Looks strange to visitors at first because the ministers just came in and then it looks like they're leaving (during the sprinkling).

My experience in France and Italy is that people start leaving directly after the dismissal. There is a good case for having no recessional hymn as the liturgy has finished.

As for the congregational entrance hymn - it's as fitting for them to sing together in preparation as it is for them to pray before the start of the service.

The full assembly of the people of God comes into being, on this model, when the priest - embodying the wider church by virtue of their ordination - and the body of baptized recognize each other.

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

This is not based on known facts, as such, but from observation over a number of years.

Before the RC liturgy was reformed (and vernacular-ized) following V2, any participatory peoples-language bits were technically not part of the liturgy and were not allowed to intrude upon it. (I know it was done at some times and places, but that was the rule.) Therefore, if one wanted a hymn at beginning or end of the mass, it had to be outside the mass, i.e., before the first salutation and after the blessing/dismissal/last gospel. Thus the habit/tradiiton grew up.

Anglican rites, though less rigorous, likewise made no provision for hymns in the 1549-1662 prayer books (except for the Veni creator at ordinations).

Non-conformist and continental reformed churches likely modeled their worship to some extent on existing liturgical models.

And of course this soon became 'That's the way we've always done it!' [Big Grin]

quote:
As for the congregational entrance hymn - it's as fitting for them to sing together in preparation as it is for them to pray before the start of the service.

Except that in all cases I've ever experienced, they are praying individually, not as a group. They are singing, however, as a group.

quote:
The full assembly of the people of God comes into being, on this model, when the priest - embodying the wider church by virtue of their ordination - and the body of baptized recognize each other.
Yes, again I get that that is the premise of this model. I promise, I'm really not trying to be obstreperous, but let me try to get at my question this way: What is the reason (or is there a reason) that leads to the arrangement that has the entrance hymn being sung before the assembly is formed rather than after? Or am I maybe missing something relevant that is obvious to others, such as perhaps an expectation that the clergy are not singing the entrance hymn, making it solely an act of the body of the baptized? Is the entrance hymn viewed as belonging only to the body of the baptized and not to the clergy?

Thanks georgiaboy. I guess that may be the history that explains it. It does raise another question for me—the relationship between the modern entrance hymn and the introit—but that would go even further off-topic than has already gone.

quote:
an expectation that the clergy are not singing the entrance hymn, making it solely an act of the body of the baptized? Is the entrance hymn viewed as belonging only to the body of the baptized and not to the clergy?

It's to do with history.

In times of persecution, people came to the assembly in small groups so as not to attract the attention of the police.

They'd sing quietly while they were waiting for the bishop, who'd then say the collect (because everyone was now collected together.)

Nick – I realise you’re not trying to be argumentative. Thank you.

One more go, and then I’ll stop flogging this issue.

Think of the entrance hymn/introit as a gathering song – the congregation preparing themselves singing together as they have prayed individually.

Two subsidiary points.

I used to go to a church where the priest processed in with a hymn book joining in singing the entrance hymn. I thought he was muscling in on our part of the liturgy.

I am building a very high view of the laity on this – far from a liturgical approach being clericalist, it is the opposite. While allowing the essential part of the ordained ministry, it allows the congregation as a whole (and not just individual articulate members) to participate fully, which as the body of Christ and the priestly people they should.

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

Introit/Entrance Hymn.

In the pre Vatican 2 form of the Roman Mass the entrance of the priest and sacred ministers was without singing - though possibly with organ music.

The Introit Psalm verses would be sung while the priest and ministers were saying the preparatory prayers at the foot of the altar.

Usually a Sunday Sung Mass would begin with the sprinkling ceremony where once again the priest and ministers would enter quietly and the priest would begin with 'Asperges me' then taken up by the choir or people.After this ceremony the Mass would proceed with the Introit being sung as before.

One time when there would be singing would be at the entrance of a bishop who would be received at the entrance to the church and who would go in procession to the sanctuary while the choir sang 'Ecce Sacerdos Magnus' or 'Sacerdos et Pontifex,virtutum optifex'

Since Vatican 2 the Introit has often been given the name 'Entrance chant' and is sometimes sung at the entrance of the priest and ministers.
In ordinary parishes it is usually replaced nowadays by an Entrance Hymn.

Even when a bishop is present he would normally enter to the Entrance Hymn.I haven't heard the Ecce Sacerdos Magnus for over 50 years,though one still hears 'Tu es Petrus' as an entrance chant for the Bishop of Rome.

quote:
—the relationship between the modern entrance hymn and the introit—but that would go even further off-topic than has already gone.

The entrance hymn is the introit.

Whoops, double posted with Forthview, who made the same point.

I must get on with the Christmas cards rather than spending so much time here.

Posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop (# 10745) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
Introit/Entrance Hymn.

Even when a bishop is present he would normally enter to the Entrance Hymn.I haven't heard the Ecce Sacerdos Magnus for over 50 years,though one still hears 'Tu es Petrus' as an entrance chant for the Bishop of Rome.

Where have you been these past 50 years, Forthview!?

Sometimes I wonder !!!

Continuing to wonder I realise that I have had a 'senior moment'. I heard 'Ecce Sacerdos Magnus'
within the last year at the entry of the (relatively) new Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh into a small parish church in a (select,of course) suburb of Edinburgh.

Mind you the organist and choirmaster was a Senior Scottish Law Lord and another High court Judge is a member of the choir.

quote:
quote:
—the relationship between the modern entrance hymn and the introit—but that would go even further off-topic than has already gone.

The entrance hymn is the introit.
Not always! In term time, when we have the choir, they sing an 'introit' at the back of church then process up the centre aisle to a hy,mn.

Duplication? Yes. But they worship the music here!

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Perhaps not quite what most had in mind?

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Perhaps not quite what most had in mind?

That's a St Lucia outfit which is very big in Sweden. Like the Advent wreath it is a Northern European Advent custom celebrating light in those dark Northern European nights, although it is a different tradition.

The candles on the crown are of course all lit at the same time.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

thanks.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

One of the great things about this (fourth candle) Sunday is that its an opportunity/obligation for all preachers to speak about Mary. Perhaps this hasn't been your experience but for a lot of reasons, present and historical, she is someone us Prods admire but regard as too sensitive to talk about.

Over the years, I have heard some very thoughtful sermons on this Sunday, sometimes from some quite surprising people. What did other Shipmates hear or do today?

Mary is the God bearer and that is what we should be as well. (Mind you, this in a church that finished with Alma Redemptoris Mater and the Angelus.)

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
One of the great things about this (fourth candle) Sunday is that its an opportunity/obligation for all preachers to speak about Mary. Perhaps this hasn't been your experience but for a lot of reasons, present and historical, she is someone us Prods admire but regard as too sensitive to talk about.

Over the years, I have heard some very thoughtful sermons on this Sunday, sometimes from some quite surprising people. What did other Shipmates hear or do today?

Talked about how we should all be willing to join all generations in calling Mary "blessed" in accordance with the words of the Magnificat, alongside pointing out that the reformers, for all their iconoclasm, had a lot of respect for Mary. It was a little too much for one or two people, I think, but others appreciated it.

Posted by Cranmer's baggage* (# 4937) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

My (young, male, evangelical) theological student delighted me on this, his final Sunday with us before proceeding to ordination, with a very thoughtful reflection on both Mary and Elizabeth. He spoke of the importance of obedience to God's call (Mary) and the importance of those who support and encourage (Elizabeth).

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

No sermon on Mary- the Bishop's Advent letter was read, a week late- but an extremely enjoyable singing, with much gusto, of VSS Coles's 'Ye who own the faith of Jesus' as the last hymn- all 7 verses, with the Hail Marys being positively bellowed out if you can do that with a congregation of 25.

Sermon on Gabriel's "not impossible with God is everything" and Mary's willing acceptance of that, with the ensuing (some verses later) song of praise.

quote:
I used to go to a church where the priest processed in with a hymn book joining in singing the entrance hymn. I thought he was muscling in on our part of the liturgy.

venbede and Forthview, I apologize for being slow to say thanks for your responses to my questions. They were very helpful, especially the bit quoted above. In think I get it now.

And thanks for confirming what I thought, but was second-guessing, about the entrance hymn and introit.

That's kind of you, Nick. A very happy Christmas.

© Ship of Fools 2016