Thread: Books on 12th century spirituality? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030454

Posted by recklessrat (# 17243) on :

Hi all,

Sorry if this posted in the wrong place but I wondered if anyone might have any recommendations for books on 12th century Christian spirituality, please? I'm looking for general, introductory texts.

Many thanks.

Posted by Bibaculus (# 18528) on :

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you looking for stuff about Cistercian monasticism, Aelred, Cluny, things like that?

Yes, that sort of thing please [Smile]

Posted by Adam. (# 4991) on :

There might be something more general out there, but a decent next step would be to pick some authors you're interested and find what they have from them in the classics of western spirituality series. These volumes often come with good introductions and bibliographies.

Posted by Galilit (# 16470) on :

Not exactly spirituality but I just read a cracking biography of Thomas Becket by John Guy

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

rr--

You might try:

--the Christian section of the Internet Sacred Texts Archive, and the off-site links at the bottom of the page.

--this search. And, in a lovely incident of recursion, it includes the OP of this thread!
[Snigger]

Posted by FCB (# 1495) on :

I would suggest vol. 2 of Bernard McGinn's multi-volume history of mysticim: The Growth of Mysticism: Gregory the Great through the Twelfth Century. About 2/3 of it deals with the 12th century.

[ 03. March 2016, 13:46: Message edited by: FCB ]

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

Although we don't tend to regard the crusades these days as a manifestation of spirituality, contemporaries did. The C12 saw a lot of crusading. So you'll need to evaluate that.

Also, Barlaam and the controversy about it is not until the C14, but hesychasm had been uncontroversially followed for several centuries before that.

Posted by A Feminine Force (# 7812) on :

In that period, I'm partial to the writings of St Hildegard of Bingen.

AFF

Posted by teddybear (# 7842) on :

On my phone so hard to post links, but Cistercian Publications has a very good selection of books from that era. When I get home will give you some links to their website.

Thanks very much, everyone.

© Ship of Fools 2016