Thread: Palm Sunday songs? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030457

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

Bumped into a clergy person who said "come sing for us on Palm Sunday." Fine, but sing what?

The only Palm Sunday song I know is "the Palms" which they did the past two years. Must be other appropriate songs.

Ideas? (Any style. Classical isn't common here, if only because the keyboardists are amateurs.)

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

While avoiding a homework thread, because they make the baby Cthulhu cry, and I would have though things like Hymnary.org have a myriad suggestions there, we might well ask what are we trying to achieve anyway on Palm/Passion Sunday?

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

I really like His body was broken by Hilary Davies. It combines Palm Sunday with Easter. If you have sniggering teenagers in your congregation the first line could be a problem.

See Him come, the King upon a donkey
Where is all His majesty and power?

JtW

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
The only Palm Sunday song I know is "the Palms" which they did the past two years. Must be other appropriate songs.

Have you never come across All Glory Laud and Honour or Ride On Ride On in Majesty? Any reasonably competent amateur keyboard player should be able to play them quite easily.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

My Song is Love Unknown is traditional in many parishes as well.

I'm trying to put the Psalm 118 verses of the day to music, if I succeed maybe we'll use that.

Keyboardist suggested Holy City but that doesn't sound particularly Palm Sunday to me.

The lectionary uses exactly the same psalm verses all 3 years, suggesting I'm not the only one struggling to find Psalm Sunday material.

His Body Was Broken - never heard it before, might be nice.

As to Ride On Ride On or All Glory Laud & Honor, I prefer as solos songs not commonly used as congregational hymns, because that seems to me depriving the congregation of something they could easily be joining in on so why keep them silent? A song unfamiliar to them has a different place, to me. YMMV

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

Belle Ringer, I'm gathering from your last post that your referring more to choir anthems than congregational hymns?

A couple of suggestions in the former category for you to consider (and could easily be done a capella if the keyboard is not up to it):

"Christus factus est" and 'In Monte Oliveti by Anton Bruckner, "God So Loved the World" by John Stainer, "Adoremus Te, Christe" by DuBois, Gibbons' and Weelkes' settings of "Hosanna to the Son of David", and "My song is Love Unknown" setting by Malcolm Archer.

A few thoughts - of course, depending on whether you focus primarily on the joyous entry or also move deeply into the Passion.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

"Ride On, King Jesus"?

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
Belle Ringer, I'm gathering from your last post that your referring more to choir anthems than congregational hymns?

Based on her two posts, I think she's looking for something she can sing as a solo.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Michael Card's beautifully simple "Ride On To Die".

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
I'm trying to put the Psalm 118 verses of the day to music, if I succeed maybe we'll use that. ....

The lectionary uses exactly the same psalm verses all 3 years, suggesting I'm not the only one struggling to find Psalm Sunday material. ...

Belle it depends what sort of setting you're looking for. It also depends on whether you really want to write some music or would be glad of a short cut. However, if you go to this page on our diocesan website and click on links, you'll find one to another website called PsalmsandPsimilar (direct link) which may provide something suitable.

I suspect the reason why it's the same psalm in each year is because somebody believes there is a tradition of singing that song on Palm Sunday, rather than a shortage of imagination.

Posted by Adam. (# 4991) on :

My favorite setting of Psalms 22 is by Chrysogonus Waddell and can be found here on page 3. (You might prefer the setting on pp. 1-2 -- there's no accounting for taste -- but the p. 3 one is where it's at). Of course, if you were going to use it you would pay the princely sum of $3.50 to these nice people and get a version without "SAMPLE" printed all over it.

To add: the keyboard part is very simple (I can play it!), the verses allow you a lot of room for expression as a singer, and the refrain packs a suitable punch.

[ 07. March 2016, 13:00: Message edited by: Adam. ]

Yes looking for something to sing solo. Keyboardist suggested Holy City, which I don't think is particularly Palm Sunday.

Finished putting the lectionary part of the Ps 118 to a line of music late last night, sent it off this morning to a music pro to tell me if it's trash or worth polishing.

Appreciate the suggestions, they may come in handy, if not this year than another.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Belle Ringer: I'm trying to put the Psalm 118 verses of the day to music, if I succeed maybe we'll use that.
I'd love to hear that.

Just noticed that you were talking about a Ps 118 setting, and I suggested a Ps 22 one. Does the RCL use Ps 118? The RC Lectionary uses Ps 22 each year.

quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
Just noticed that you were talking about a Ps 118 setting, and I suggested a Ps 22 one. Does the RCL use Ps 118? The RC Lectionary uses Ps 22 each year.

Year C Liturgy of the Palms
Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29

Liturgy of the Passion
Psalm 31:9-16

Ps 22 is Good Friday

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Belle Ringer: I'm trying to put the Psalm 118 verses of the day to music, if I succeed maybe we'll use that.
I'd love to hear that.
You are probably a far better composer than I. If you PM me an email address, I wouldn't mind an educated quick comment about which parts of it are decent and which need work.

This is only the 4th psalm I'm tried writing, the other three the local music director liked and used 2 of them, but he's in a bad mood right now and won't look at it. What the heck, good practice, one gets better only by trying. [Smile]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Belle Ringer: If you PM me an email address, I wouldn't mind an educated quick comment about which parts of it are decent and which need work.
Oh yes, happy to do that. I'll send a PM.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:

Year C Liturgy of the Palms
Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29

Liturgy of the Passion
Psalm 31:9-16

Ps 22 is Good Friday

Interesting: we have Ps 22 and Ps 31 switched. For the palm ceremony, Pss 24 and 47 are optional (and I've never heard them used actually).

© Ship of Fools 2016