Thread: cell phones Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030512

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

Ecclesiantics posting with a hellish condiment (Hosts: feel free to transplant it).

As I frequently do, I took communion today at the 12:30 at my local Cathedral. It takes place in an intimate side chapel (very nice modern reconstruction). It was a small group of nine(?) of us, spread through an area that accommodates about fifty of us. Just before - seconds before - the Lord"s Prayer, during a moment of splendid, contemplative silence, a cell phone went off. By the time the woman fished it out of her purse, the "spell was broken". The priest waited, then continued to the Prayer. For me, at least, all following was emptily pro forma.

What should the (Anglican) priest have done? My incorrect instinct would have been to say, Class dismissed, and then consume the communion. But that would be churlish. He handled it as gracefully as possible - waiting, continuing without comment or frosty tone.

But really, no phones at the dining table, ergo....

In her defence, she didn't take the call.

Thoughts?

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

The priest did the right thing.

At a midday service, when people might be on their lunch break from work, it would not be inappropriate for the priest, when greeting the congregation, to gently remind 'em to make sure their phones are off or on 'silent'

IJ

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

Believe me, I know from annoying interruptions. It is very difficult to pray when an electronic noisemaker goes off at an inopportune time.

But you know what? People have managed to pray with shells whistling overhead, and bombs exploding. And I have no doubt those prayers were heard.

I'm extremely picky about aesthetics, because I think we ought to be offering our best to God in church. I don't like irreverence or sloppiness when it comes to the liturgy. But when something like this happens, your job is to shrug it off and keep going. If the priest had closed up shop and consumed all the elements himself, it would have been worse than churlish; it would have been a petulant gesture of sacrilege.

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
If the priest had closed up shop and consumed all the elements himself, it would have been worse than churlish; it would have been a petulant gesture of sacrilege.

[Overused] Well said, Fr Weber - couldn't have said it any better!

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
But you know what? People have managed to pray with shells whistling overhead, and bombs exploding. And I have no doubt those prayers were heard.

I would think that frequently shells and bombs would not have been a distraction from, but occasion for, prayer.

For the record, the hoarding of the sacrament was a facetious attempt to express my displeasure.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Well since you want my thoughts, I'd say that if this is the worst thing that happened to you this week, you lead a very blessed life. Pro-forma? It sounds like the complaining of someone who is working on creating a devotional mood, rather than worshiping the living God (credit: Screwtape). God forbid my liturgical hard-on get limped by a cell phone.

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

Actually, seriously worse in this young week, but not relevant to the discussion here.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

As my university friends from Rathmines would have said, offer it up. The priest should have ignored it-- if properly vested with a maniple as well as stole and chasuble, it's easy.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

And had an aspergillum been in use, it could have soaked the thing in electronics-shorting-out holy water.

And had the incense been thick enough, it could have gummed up the circuit boards with the same effect.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

At these noon weekday eucharists, people sometimes have a very reason to be there, every bit as important as your contemplative thingy. Or perhaps you thought her satanphone also interrupted God?

Was there a confession and absolution? Perhaps she confessed and you confessed, and all was forgiven? Is it too much to ask?

(It might have been more apt for the phone to go off just before the peace)

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

What Bishop's Finger said.

Posted by The Scrumpmeister (# 5638) on :

This happened once at Compline on Holy Friday, during one of the most solemn moments of the canon, when the ikos was being read reflectively.

It was the priest's phone - vibrating, to be fair, but in the quiet it was very obvious.

It seems that his son was visiting home from university and wanted to picked up from the train station. He then proceeded to phone everyone in his family, without success, and was confused about where they could all be that would prevent them from answering.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
This happened once at Compline on Holy Friday, during one of the most solemn moments of the canon, when the ikos was being read reflectively.

It was the priest's phone - vibrating, to be fair, but in the quiet it was very obvious.

At my church, it was during the time of silent prayer on Ash Wednesday -- the priest's phone serenaded us with the Trout Quintet.

Just a thought, but the lady who so destroyed the OPer's contemplation of the Sacred Mysteries might well have been snatching a few minutes' worth of spiritual sustenance herself, perhaps taking time out from a demanding job situation?

Under such circumstances, forgetting to switch off her phone is surely forgivable...

As for the clergy who forget to turn their own phones to 'silent' during worship, who knows but that the message might be one of urgent pastoral need, to be dealt with a.s.a.p. after the service.

IJ

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

A T-Mobile phone rang (tum-tum-tum-TEE-tum) just before the point in our solemn Mass at which the organist customarily improvises; I believe it was when the Gospel has been chanted and the Gospel group is about to return to the sanctuary. The organist immediately repeated the T-Mobile ringtone at the right pitch and proceeded to improvise a fugue on it. It was completely brilliant. I want that to happen again.

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

As very few people phone me at any time, I nearly always forget to switch my phone off (mea culpa). But it did happen to me some years ago when I was presiding at a Sunday Eucharist: I had just said the opening greeting when my phone rang to my great embarrassment and everyone else's amusement. I switched it off immediately of course but when I checked it afterwards it was the churchwarden of a neighbouring church saying they were expecting me for their mass, at the same time. It was their mistake, not mine, so at least the sin was not compounded.

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:

At my church, it was during the time of silent prayer on Ash Wednesday -- the priest's phone serenaded us with the Trout Quintet.
I can give you aces and still beat this one -- the day: Palm Sunday; the moment in the liturgy: that kneeling silent prayer time just before the end of the Passion Gospel; the ring-tone of the phone: the 'Lone Ranger' theme from William Tell; the perp: a woman in the nave with a VERY large purse, scrambling frantically to get to the phone; the witness: moi, in the rear choir gallery, looking down.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Oh, ours was on Maundy Thursday - tail end of the vigil as people were beginning to come in for midnight Compline - not once but three times, same phone

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

I leave my phone at home on the grounds to avoid those sorts of incidents.

It did, however, go off the other day during a pastoral visit. I diverted it to the answerphone using my Apple Watch. Needless to say, the wife spotted me looking at my watch, and concernedly asked if I had to move on to my next visit. They were quite amused by the explanation, which was nice. Some of my lot still think that a mobile phone must have a bloody long wire and switching if off with one's watch would be one step removed from witchcraft.

If a congregational phone goes off, I ignore it on the grounds that they will be sufficiently mortified without me adding to their embarrassment. I did have a phone go off during a funeral once. Afterwards, the Next Of Kin apologised on their behalf. I murmured something about these things happening. "I don't know why they left it on" replied the NOK, "we're all here!"

But broadly speaking, IME, it happens rarely and if it does happen it's not because the owner decided to muck up the service at a key moment. Let him (or her) who has never got something wrong in a fit of absence of mind throw the first stone.

There's a brilliant anecdote in the quotes file, btw, about a young woman who turned up at Mass at a Convent, and went through a series of very elaborate devotions, clearly, and I quote, "auditioning for a new Harry Enfield character 'considerably more Catholic than yow'". Moments after the Priest arrived and started the service her phone went off, again quoting from memory, "not quite 'bring your daughter to the slaughter' but nearly as inappropriate". Needless to say it was at the bottom of her bag and she seemed to spend an eternity fumbling for it whilst the Reverend Mother glared daggers at her.

I will see about hunting it up when I have a bit more time on my hands. If the Shipmate who originally posted it comes across this, can I just say that it has given me hours of amusement and is a wonderful story, brilliantly told.

Here is the glorious thing in it's entirety:

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Rosamundi's story:
quote:
Easter Saturday Vigil Mass, in a convent chapel, very quiet, very peaceful, very beautiful. I was sat behind someone who appeared to be auditioning for a new Harry Enfield character, "I'm considerably holier than thou." Chapel veil, scapular the size of a small tablecloth, very ostentatious devotions before Mass.

Just into the first reading, her mobile phone rang, incredibly loudly, with possibly the most inappropriate ringtone ever, not quite "Bring your daughter to the slaughter," but close. And, of course, the wretched thing was buried at the bottom of her bag, so it took forever to find it, and I nearly ruptured something trying not to laugh whilst Reverend Mother glared daggers from the front.

"I'm considerably holier than thou." [Killing me]

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
I can give you aces and still beat this one -- the day: Palm Sunday; the moment in the liturgy: that kneeling silent prayer time just before the end of the Passion Gospel; the ring-tone of the phone: the 'Lone Ranger' theme from William Tell..

Perhaps she was confused by Calvary and Cavalry.
[Biased]

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
the perp: a woman in the nave with a VERY large purse, scrambling frantically to get to the phone; the witness: moi, in the rear choir gallery, looking down.

God created water balloons for moments like this.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Oh, ours was on Maundy Thursday - tail end of the vigil as people were beginning to come in for midnight Compline - not once but three times, same phone

...and then a cock crowed? [Two face]

It is an annoyance when phones go off, but a forgivable one nowadays. Use it as an opportunity, if it distracts you, to practice not letting such things distract you. And to exercise charity. I think of the exercise in meditation that, when thoughts or feelings arise, you notice them and dismiss them without judgment. I think that's also a good way to handle distractions in church.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
the perp: a woman in the nave with a VERY large purse, scrambling frantically to get to the phone; the witness: moi, in the rear choir gallery, looking down.

God created water balloons for moments like this.
To throw at judgmental tongue-clickers?

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
quote:

It is an annoyance when phones go off, but a forgivable one nowadays. Use it as an opportunity, if it distracts you, to practice not letting such things distract you. And to exercise charity. I think of the exercise in meditation that, when thoughts or feelings arise, you notice them and dismiss them without judgment. I think that's also a good way to handle distractions in church.

[Big Grin]

I managed charitable when it went off the first time. Was struggling with charitable when it went off for the third time and hadn't been put on silent or turned off. Of course, it was at the bottom of a bag, and returned there between calls.

Posted by Fineline (# 12143) on :

People being human and variable, there are plenty of opportunities for interruption in a church service, not just from mobile phones. I once knew a woman with diabetes who would sometimes eat something in a church service when her blood sugar was low - she would get glares from some people as she ate her biscuit. I currently go to a church where a chap with learning disabilities attends, and he yawns and burps quite loudly at inopportune moments. I'd say any idea of a spell that can be broken is more an emotional thing, which is all very nice, but in reality, our faith is far more about having patience with human foibles and loving and accepting each other when we don't necessarily feel like it.

quote:
quote:

It is an annoyance when phones go off, but a forgivable one nowadays.

Balls. I don't understand why, except if they are waiting for an important call or having to be contactable for the wellbeing of some other person or of themselves, anyone has to have a phone on all the time.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Balls. I don't understand why, except if they are waiting for an important call or having to be contactable for the wellbeing of some other person or of themselves, anyone has to have a phone on all the time.

Having the phone on is the default. It's a phone - its purpose is to be on, and to be a communication device. Most people want it to be on most of the time, so that they can be called. If someone wanted to have his phone off all the time, why would he carry a phone at all? (Wait - that's me. And I don't carry a phone.)

However, most people don't get many calls, so don't think about the fact that their phone is on, so don't think to turn it off. And it's a surprise for them when someone calls in the middle of a church service, concert, or other inappropriate moment, because they're not expecting a call.

I have a feeling some of you wouldn't last 10 minutes in an Orthodox Divine Liturgy. People come in late and go out to the facilities or to start the coffee, people mill about venerating icons and lighting candles, children race across from mom to their godmother or auntie or favorite older teen, the lector starts the wrong epistle and is corrected by the choir director*, and so forth. It's really not a place for quiet still contemplation. We have other services for that, and you have a prayer closet. And no, my cell phone has never gone off in a service.

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
[qb]
It is an annoyance when phones go off, but a forgivable one nowadays.

I put it to the group this way... Would you tolerate your children bringing their cell phones to the dinner table? "Oh, well.... that's kids these days..."

quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
I put it to the group this way... Would you tolerate your children bringing their cell phones to the dinner table? "Oh, well.... that's kids these days..."

Kids have a choice about bringing their cell phones to the table. They can leave them in their room. A woman who walks to the noon mass has to have her phone with her. What's she going to do, park it in the vestry? This analogy doesn't work.

[ 10. November 2016, 02:35: Message edited by: mousethief ]

quote:

Most people I know "take their phones to the dinner table" because their phone is in the pocket of their pants, and they take their pants to the dinner table.

I can guarantee that if I carried a phone, it would be in my pocket at the dinner table. If I didn't keep the thing in my pocket, I'd find that I'd continually leave it behind.

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
If someone wanted to have his phone off all the time, why would he carry a phone at all?

I carry a very basic one in my purse, turned off. Its only purpose is if I have to make an outgoing call in case of an emergency such as a flat tire or dead battery.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Kids have a choice about bringing their cell phones to the table. They can leave them in their room. A woman who walks to the noon mass has to have her phone with her. What's she going to do, park it in the vestry? This analogy doesn't work.
1) How do you know that she must have the phone with her?
2) She does have a choice: train herself to turn the damn thing off. I have done.

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Having the phone on is the default. It's a phone - its purpose is to be on, and to be a communication device.
Not solely, or even primarily.

It's also most people's primary timepiece (fewer and fewer people wear watches these days), an alarm, a torch, a research tool, an entertainment device for games, film, and music, among other things, which is why I completely understand this:

quote:
However, most people don't get many calls...
But it also means I don't recognise this at all:

quote:
...so don't think about the fact that their phone is on, so don't think to turn it off.
I seldom receive phone calls. I even joke that when it rings I don't know what the noise means or what to do, but I use my phone all the time for all of the reasons listed above, and I receive text messages, audible alerts for news, weather, and other apps, and sometimes yes, I get phone calls.

I couldn't imagine going into church, the theatre, the cinema, or any other place like that and not switch my phone to silent mode (not vibrate, but silent). It's just part of what you do if you have a phone, as well as being basic good manners.

[ 10. November 2016, 06:10: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

Exactly . Basic good manners. And specific points: if you're not expecting a call, why have the phone on? Maybe it is a torch, research tool, games unit, and so on, but why do you need to have that all ready to go, all the time? I am pretty sure that I don't remember seeing many people 25 years ago carrying with them at all times a bicycle lamp, encyclopaedia, and Monopoly set, just in case they wanted to use them.

[ 10. November 2016, 07:59: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Hmmm ... while I accept all the etiquette points, rarely use a mobile phone myself, and agree that people should not be bound to electronic devices, could I say:

- My wife never switches on her phone unless she expects me to ring her. This has meant that, at times, I have needed to contact her but that she is not receiving my calls. That makes the whole thing pretty pointless.

- Many people are expected to be "available". Our son, for example, is a casual Theatre Technician. In the past he has lost at least one potential job because he was out with us and had switched off his phone. I'm sure the same is true for plumbers, electricians etc.

quote:
How do you know that she must have the phone with her?

She wouldn't have the phone at all if she didn't feel she needed it, and wouldn't have the ringer on unless she felt she needed to answer calls. I'd say the burden of proof is on the person who wants to change someone else's behavior, not me.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

I compromise. I keep my phone on vibrate at all times. Due to my job I could be contacted at any time by potential clients, so I could miss work, or potentially turn up at the wrong place/time if I couldn't be contacted, so need to be aware immediately if I have missed a call/text, so that I can get back to them.
I would find it far too fiddly to continually be turning the ringer on and off, or switching to silent, so I use the vibrate feature only. Yes it is audible in a quiet environment, but not obtrusive (IMO). Occasionally I have received a call or text while in church, I feel the vibration, mentally note it, then attend to it at the end of the service. What is the problem with that?

quote:
if you're not expecting a call, why have the phone on?
If my powers of telepathy were sufficiently developed to tell when someone wanted to get in touch with me at any time, I wouldn't have a mobile phone in the first place.

quote:
Maybe it is a torch, research tool, games unit, and so on, but why do you need to have that all ready to go, all the time? I am pretty sure that I don't remember seeing many people 25 years ago carrying with them at all times a bicycle lamp, encyclopaedia, and Monopoly set, just in case they wanted to use them.
It's what the kids call 'technological progress' daddio! [Razz]

I don't think anyone is claiming that people shouldn't silence their phones in church, concerts, lectures, and whatever else. I am claiming that it's easily understandable when people accidentally leave them on.

Indeed. What I find intensely irritating (among many other things) are the people who, on receiving a call on their mobile - be it text, email or whatever - immediately stop listening to what I'm saying in order to answer the bloody thing, without so much as a by-your-leave.

A quick 'Excuse me, I need to take this call' is OK, of course, as it might well be important, but just breaking off is so rude... [Mad]

IJ

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:

2) She does have a choice: train herself to turn the damn thing off. I have done.

You see, this is the sort of thing I hear again and again in these discussions. "I did it, so everyone can and ought."

That's a fallacy.

You may be superlatively gifted with a perfect memory and/or a completely uncomplicated schedule free of distractions like children and elderly/disabled people needing attention. Fine for you.

But "woman with a capacious purse" in my experience always means "woman with a huge load of responsibilities," most of them for people (that's why you carry the huge freaking purse, right? So you can shove everybody's nappies, Cheerios, doctor appointment cards, Social Security paperwork, meds, etc.in there. Believe me, you don't do it for the sheer pleasure of carrying a honking big bag.

And if you're carrying that load of responsibility, with the complex schedule that goes with it, well, you're almost certainly going to need to be available 24/7 because you are primary contact for children and/or elderly/disabled people--let alone the standard issues of work and family. So you carry a phone. And God forbid, in your busy schedule you occasionally forget to turn it off. Probably because you were fumbling with the purse and the baby carrier, or because you were giving an arm to the elderly woman you drive to church Sundays. Or possibly both.

And your phone goes off at an embarrassing time, and you mentally kick yourself for forgetting, and as you dive for the phone you see the judgemental face of a pew-mate who has neither children nor dependents nor a shitload of crap he absolutely must tote from place to place on a tight schedule. And who nevertheless believes he shouldn't cut you any slack.

That sucks.

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:

quote:
if you're not expecting a call, why have the phone on?
If my powers of telepathy were sufficiently developed to tell when someone wanted to get in touch with me at any time, I wouldn't have a mobile phone in the first place.

quote:
Maybe it is a torch, research tool, games unit, and so on, but why do you need to have that all ready to go, all the time? I am pretty sure that I don't remember seeing many people 25 years ago carrying with them at all times a bicycle lamp, encyclopaedia, and Monopoly set, just in case they wanted to use them.
It's what the kids call 'technological progress' daddio! [Razz]

It's called unnecessary sodding about which puts you in thrall to people who want to sell you yet more stuff.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Lamb Chopped:
[Angel]

quote:
Exactly . Basic good manners. And specific points: if you're not expecting a call, why have the phone on?

For the reasons mentioned. Mainly, it's my only timepiece and I don't fancy having to wait 2 minutes fit it to boot each time I want to know what time it is.

On more than one occasion, it has been useful at the choir desk for candlelit night services when it has become apparent that the available light wasn't enough for some singers to see the music properly.

I was also able to take it off silent long enough to use music app to get the note needed for the next piece when a running fork wasn't available.

There are all sorts of reasons why a phone might be on in church.

My former bishop used to read the texts of the service from his iPhone instead of a book.

I once forgot to bring the readings with me to a funeral. Luckily they were sent by e-mail so I was able read them from my phone. My heart missed a beat afterwards when I realised that I hadn't put it on silent and I could have been interrupted by 'Gangam Style'!

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

True story: my husband and his parents are in a moment of silent reflection in church just before communion. My mother-in-law’s granny phone goes off (one of those ones with the extra loud ringer for the stricken in years and hard of hearing). My mother-in-law flaps loudly, creating more noise than the original phone. “[Husband], turn it off! Turn it off!”

My husband takes it off her and puts it on vibrate. What he didn’t realise that was putting it on vibrate doesn’t stop it from ringing. Next time it rings AND vibrates. My father-in-law then sits on it to try to muffle the noise. [Killing me]

So: that annoying person with the loud phone may be disrupting your church service, but at least they’re providing an entertaining story for their nearest and dearest [Big Grin] .

Posted by Utrecht Catholic (# 14285) on :

One good advice, leave your Phone at home or in your car.

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

So: that annoying person with the loud phone may be disrupting your church service, but at least they’re providing an entertaining story for their nearest and dearest [Big Grin] .

Like the woman at the theater last week. She was sitting in the second row, so she could be heard quite clearly by the actors on stage. The first time it went off (of course in the bottom of a huge purse -- most purses now have phone pockets, so why are the ones that go off at the wrong time always at the bottom?) she fussed very loudly about how she was sure she'd turned it off. When it rang again a few minutes later, she yelled out even louder than her phone "Oh S***!"

Even though I carry a basic phone with me for emergencies, I never give the number to anyone (except to AAA in case they need to call me back). From what others have told me, if you're meeting someone somewhere, they're much more apt to be late if they know they can call you and give you some excuse. If they can't reach you, they're much more apt to be on time.

quote:
The first time it went off (of course in the bottom of a huge purse -- most purses now have phone pockets, so why are the ones that go off at the wrong time always at the bottom?)

Perhaps it's not a new purse? Perhaps the purse-owner doesn't use the phone pocket for the phone because she doesn't use the phone much, and in stead uses that pocket for something more frequently accessed?

It's mostly not the frequent phone users who ring at inappropriate times - those people usually turn it off. It's the large number of infrequent and inexpert phone users that tend to have embarrassing phone fumbles.

There are, of course, other ways of finding out what time it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjHlFPTwVk&nohtml5=False

IJ

quote:
Originally posted by Utrecht Catholic:

Oh how blessed are ye of perfect memory! How beloved of God! What ye put down, ye remember to pick up again. What ye take off, ye remember to put on again. What ye turn off, ye remember to turn on again.

Therefore we entreat: Pray for us of bad memory. Remember us in our misery, we beg of you. For we fear to put things down, lest we forget to pick them up again. We fear to take things off, lest we forget to put them on again. We fear to turn things off, lest we forget to turn them back on again.

Look not upon us with scorn, ye mighty ones. Consider with pity our plight. For we have not chosen to be forgetful, but accept our miserable condition as best we can, and strive to cope by whatever means we may find.

Therefore do we pray unto you, who are blessed by the Almighty with abilities we can only dream of, that ye might lay off, and give unto us a break that doth fuck.

Even unto the ages of ages....

[Angel]

IJ

quote:
quote:
How do you know that she must have the phone with her?

She wouldn't have the phone at all if she didn't feel she needed it, and wouldn't have the ringer on unless she felt she needed to answer calls. I'd say the burden of proof is on the person who wants to change someone else's behavior, not me.
Balls. Most people have a phone with them by default, not out of necessity. Similarly, the ringer is on by default, not design. If we can internalise certain modes of behaviour (please, thank you, holding a door open for someone, etc), surely we can internalise "Phone off? Check."

Story: When cell phones began their march toward ubiquity, and cell phone etiquette was still in its infancy (arguably, not much progressed), my sister was lecturing a large pre-med section at a university. In her first lecture, she warned them to turn the phones off. Every lecture, a phone would go off. One day a ring set her off, and she said loudly and icily (I know the tone, first hand), "That call better be about your kidney transplant. Answer it!" She never found the offender, but the rings stopped after that.

quote:
If we can internalise certain modes of behaviour (please, thank you, holding a door open for someone, etc), surely we can internalise "Phone off? Check."

Maybe you can. Not everybody can do that and be sure of remembering to turn it back on again. What is gained by demonizing these people? Why not just let it rest?

Actually, MT, I'm not "demonising" anyone, and as for letting it go, you've been posting here much more than I have done.

[ 11. November 2016, 01:01: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

"Lampooning " is the word I would have used--"demonizing" is a little strong-- but, however you feel about the matter, understand other congregants will be sharing in the experience of how you respond to it. It's a particularly good idea to keep visitors in mind:

Scroll down to the "other place" bit.

At my Alanon meetings, a gracefully worded reminder to check your cell's ring status is included in the opening. Would it be too clodhopping to insert a brief statement like this before the beginning of the liturgy?

Or, y'know, what he said.
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

At a midday service, when people might be on their lunch break from work, it would not be inappropriate for the priest, when greeting the congregation, to gently remind 'em to make sure their phones are off or on 'silent'

IJ

( My audio production teacher would makes us guess the decibel and hertz of a ring tone when one went off in her lecture. Is there a liturgical equivalent.? " Make a joyful noise, " maybe?)

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

IJ

Only if he WITHOUT FAIL reminds them to turn them back on again afterwards. Otherwise it stays on.

"(If you need to turn on your ringer, kindly do it now) May the Lord bless you and keep you..."

Go in peace and full cell phone volume to love and serve the Lord.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

quote:

…except in those places where you are urged not to leave valuables in your car.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Mine quacks. I leave it off.

Someone did once suggest they'd like to have a Rowan Williams ringtone- ++Rowan saying 'In many ways, (INSERT NAME], this might be an opportune moment to answer the telephone'.
I think I could live with that.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

So. How many of you who look with scorn on people whose phones go off at the wrong time have never ever had it happen to them? Hands?

If you hardly ever carry a phone or leave a phone on, you might be one of those. If you carry a phone regularly and are so well organized that you never miss a time to turn off the phone, you are a paragon of tech virtue. Huzzah! [Overused]

I do pretty well, only screwing up a few times a year at church, meeting, or cinema. My biggest problem is actually remembering to switch the ringer back on after turning it off. Then people ask me the next day why I wasn't answering my phone. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 11. November 2016, 16:30: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

That's generally the mistake I make. "Why aren't you answering your phone? I had a flat tire/the school bus broke down/needed a ride to the doctor..." [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

But of course that's on me.

My response when somebody's phone goes off in church, in addition to silently laughing if their ring tone is wildly inappropriate to the setting (e.g. "Highway to Hell"), is to feel sorry for them and think, "Oh how embarrassing!"

Certainly not to make it all about me.

You've given me the idea for a thread...

Just to lighten things up a bit.
[Biased]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
quote:

Oh how blessed are ye of perfect memory! How beloved of God! What ye put down, ye remember to pick up again. What ye take off, ye remember to put on again. What ye turn off, ye remember to turn on again.

Therefore we entreat: Pray for us of bad memory. Remember us in our misery, we beg of you. For we fear to put things down, lest we forget to pick them up again. We fear to take things off, lest we forget to put them on again. We fear to turn things off, lest we forget to turn them back on again.

Look not upon us with scorn, ye mighty ones. Consider with pity our plight. For we have not chosen to be forgetful, but accept our miserable condition as best we can, and strive to cope by whatever means we may find.

Therefore do we pray unto you, who are blessed by the Almighty with abilities we can only dream of, that ye might lay off, and give unto us a break that doth fuck.

And there was a great shout of Amen, and the people that dwelleth in the darkness of not knowing whence went things that they put down not five minutes ago, in sooth, they who forget that they even put them down and thus were in perplexity when they returned thither to their dwelling places and did wonder where the things they now recalled they had put down had gone, did look up and say "May the God of Israel be praised, for yea, I learn that in his bountiful creation I am not the only one who doth this time and time again, and faileth not in the doing."

[ 14. November 2016, 13:26: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

quote:
Just to lighten things up a bit.
[Biased]

Actually I have a story something like this. I have one of those label machines that prints out the little tape labels. I don't use it very often, but when you need a label, it's a nice thing to have. I turned it on one day and it said, "EMPTY".

I opened the tape cartridge door, and there was a cartridge in there. I took it out and looked, and yes it had tape in it. I put it all back together and turned it off and turned it on, and it still said, "EMPTY".

I checked the battery compartment. Indeed I changed out all the batteries with known fresh ones (it takes 6 AA cells), and turned it back on again. It still said "EMPTY".

Then I remembered I had emptied and locked an out-of-the-way cabinet and put a label on it so I wouldn't keep checking it.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

[Big Grin]

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

It all goes to show that we are fallible, frail human beings. All the more reason not to crucify those who forget.

I was in a packed memorial service where a mobile phone ring disturbed a 2 minute silence. The owner was in pieces afterwards and thoroughly ashamed. Whatever their problem was it was not deliberate fault or failure to care enough. People forget to do things, even when they agree they are important. We should forgive them.

Maybe the disturbance is an opportunity for a spiritual exercise with even greater importance than the quiet devotion.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

I thought of this thread this morning in church. I had arrived late (read 'even later than usual' for those who know me IRL!!) as I'd had a domestic crisis to deal with just before I left for church, when the tenant of a property I rent out, stood on my doorstep to inform me that following a power cut yesterday his boiler wasn't coming on, so he had no heating or hot water. You don't need to know the details, but it involved me hurriedly calling my gas engineer and expecting a call back at some stage. Dashed off to church with my phone in my pocket on vibrate as usual.

It was my turn to read the lessons this morning. I stepped up to the lectern to start reading at exactly the same moment I felt my phone vibrating with a call (from the gas engineer of course). I ignored it of course, but worried the noise may have been picked up by the PA system. Somehow I managed to complete the readings. And was even told afterwards that I had read more clearly than usual - not sure how that happened as I certainly wasn't able to give it the level of concentration I normally would!!

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

Ha. Maybe that's the moral of the story: always engineer some major distraction to give you something to concentrate on avoiding! Not sure I'll be the one putting that to the test though...

© Ship of Fools 2016