Thread: Happy New Year! Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030515

Posted by David Goode (# 9224) on :

Liturgically.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

And the same, liturgically, to you, Sir!

We had O come, O come, Emmanuel and Kendrick's Make way, make way, for the King of Kings - both of which I knew - and two other happy-clappy hymns which I didn't know (and now, an hour or so later, can't recall!). Context - MOTR suburban/village church Parish Communion.

The first Advent Candle was duly lit, and Mother Vicar praught an entirely proper homily on Advent being a time for Repentance, Preparation, and Hope.

Off to the Cathedral this eve for Advent Procession & Carols etc. [Big Grin]

IJ

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Church is a few hours from now, but my computer wallpaper has been changed for Advent, and I have my Advent CDs out for home and car.

Advent is one of my very favorite seasons.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

Thanks David!

We had a very lovely candlelit Advent Procession with all the usual faves as well as some less familiar settings. Quite the loveliest time of the year!

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

The family Eucharist service on Sunday began with a single soloist acappella singing of "Prepare Ye The Way of the Lord" from Godspell (which is also all the words of it). Sung gently, like almost a lullaby. The choir came in briefly. I found it incredibly moving. May music continue take me in its arms, stir my soul, and give me comfort, joy and hope.

Our Cathedral's Advent Service was very seemly and proper, with excellent choral music etc. as one would expect. However, I was a little surprised to see Dean and Chapter vested in festal white/gold copes (they - the copes - have a dash of orange in them as well [Eek!] ), rather than the rather nice blue copes worn in previous years.

Odd, I thought...

IJ

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I have just seen the first house with full set of outside Christmas decorations: lights along the rooflines, hanging icicle lights under the guttering; lit tree on front lawn plus reindeer (2) and sleigh. [Eek!]

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

Just back from a few days in New York State. You can already tell which are the the homes of the pious and the devout by the ten foot high inflatable Santa Clauses on the front lawns.

No, no - the homes of the most pious and devout can be determined by the presence of lights in the correct Advent liturgical colour, to wit, blue (with some white lights thrown in, in anticipation of the Nativity of Our Blessed Lord).

IJ

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Just back from a few days in New York State. You can already tell which are the homes of the pious and the devout by the ten foot high inflatable Santa Clauses on the front lawns.

Perhaps they're just a week early for the Feast of Saint Nicholas?
[Biased]

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
No, no - the homes of the most pious and devout can be determined by the presence of lights in the correct Advent liturgical colour, to wit, blue (with some white lights thrown in, in anticipation of the Nativity of Our Blessed Lord).

Around here, blue or blue and white lights often indicate a household celebrating Hanukkah.

Posted by Baker (# 18458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Just back from a few days in New York State. You can already tell which are the homes of the pious and the devout by the ten foot high inflatable Santa Clauses on the front lawns.

Perhaps they're just a week early for the Feast of Saint Nicholas?
[Biased]

The cathedral where I am a member has a door on the west side of the sanctuary called the St. Nicholas door, as there is a stained glass figure of the saint, in bishop's attire, in it. There's also the symbols, like a ship, gold coins, and so on. But what makes it fun is a small figure, in the lower left of the window, of Santa Claus, gesturing up at the larger figure of Nicholas in a sort of salute.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Friend has just acquired for their church a Father Christmas outfit in BLUE - the original colour - for their Christmas Fair tomorrow. They've had explanatory notes printed explaining that the red 'traditional' colour only came about through promotional advertising for Coca Cola and that in having blue the church is regaining Santa Claus. Can't wait to hear the reaction... [Overused]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Friend has just acquired for their church a Father Christmas outfit in BLUE - the original colour - for their Christmas Fair tomorrow. They've had explanatory notes printed explaining that the red 'traditional' colour only came about through promotional advertising for Coca Cola and that in having blue the church is regaining Santa Claus. Can't wait to hear the reaction... [Overused]

Erm - you know that's not actually true, don't you? http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/cocacola.asp

Posted by Humble Servant (# 18391) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

My recollection of the myth is that he was formally dressed in GREEN to signify whatever you want green to signify. Certainly something pre-Christian and altogether more English.

At our Patronal Festival (liturgical colour - red) a couple of years ago, the Bishop celebrating was highly delighted to be (mis)taken for St. Nicholas by a little Dutch girl in the congregation. Coming up for a blessing at Communion time, she duly presented him with a drawing of himself, which she had made during the sermon...

St. Nicholas, of course, is well-known in the Netherlands, and one of our local churches has him as their patron. This makes it easy for them to remind people, during Advent, of the original Santa Claus (or one of them, at any rate!).

IJ

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

So far, we’ve had:

Adam lay y bounden - Philip Ledger
O thou, the central orb - Charles Wood
Ave Maria - Tomas Luis de Victoria
Es ist ein Ros entsprungen
And something new by our orgaon scholar: How brightly shines the morning Star! - Callum Anderson

But no Watchet auf nor This is he Record of John

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

We'll have "This is the record of John" on Advent IV, to go with the Gospel, of course.

© Ship of Fools 2016