Thread: Is there really such a thing as atheism? (I don't think so) Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030553

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I've been thinking about it ( a lot) as a family member has been challenging this. Rather argumentatively and repeatedly. In ways that trouble my sleep. I will try to leave the personal out of this, and focus on representing the argument.

I have long thought that atheism doesn't actually exist, except in the narrow sense of rejecting some narrow, simple or strawman view of organized religion, e.g., the 10 year old child's version of a god to pray to who may or may not grant your request which was made most often under some sort of duress. Jesus loves me this I know stuff.

Everyone has a set of beliefs, and they generally pursue them. Not always acknowledging that they are the foundation of their pursuit, because they may not realize that it is at thr level of belief. It often seems to be individuality in various guises which tries to replace transcendent belief, or it's a belief in progress, or in consumerism (acquisition of things), which all depend on the pretence that they are not items of belief and, while maybe not resembling actual overt reverence and worship, operate unconsciously that way, organizing thoughts, feelings, behaviour and relationships with others.

I think these beliefs organize inner life, at the level of automatic, so much so that the holder of them is fooled into thinking that they aren't present, and even if realized, are classified as superior to the conventional belief in something beyond the material world we perceive through senses (and the enhanced sensing science provides). They emphasize the individual being in control, and the desire to be in increasing control. I think it is an illusion to think we can be in control, and this belief of control forms a major portion of the fake non-belief that I'm thinking atheism is. Now you may dispute that a god or formal religious belief isn't required to get beyond that. And I couldn't argue with this, but I think it gets the argument at least into agnosticism.

[ 31. October 2016, 17:56: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

A lot of atheists that I know describe themselves as agnostic atheists. This distinguishes knowledge (hence, agnostic), about which few atheists claim to have about God, and belief, which most atheists claim to lack, hence 'a-theism'.

There are also strong atheists who actually assert that there is no God.

I don't see why lacking a belief in something is a problem. The old analogy was not collecting stamps, and it's correct that this is not a thing or a human trait.

I suppose there are an infinite number of things that I lack a belief in, but these lacks are not things.

Old joke: Sartre goes in a cafe and asks for coffee without cream. The waiter comes back, and says, 'apologies, M. Sartre, we don't have cream, but we have milk, would coffee without milk be OK?'

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

I think the OP clearly illustrates the problem many have in seeing things from any perspective but their own.
They cannot trust go beyond how they see the world.

At least, it doesn't say that atheists assert that there is no God, therefore that is their burden of proof. This is a common claim.

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Everyone has a set of beliefs, and they generally pursue them. Not always acknowledging that they are the foundation of their pursuit, because they may not realize that it is at thr level of belief. It often seems to be individuality in various guises which tries to replace transcendent belief, or it's a belief in progress, or in consumerism (acquisition of things), which all depend on the pretence that they are not items of belief and, while maybe not resembling actual overt reverence and worship, operate unconsciously that way, organizing thoughts, feelings, behaviour and relationships with others.

This seems like a sloppy, over-broad definition of theism that would be rejected in any other context. For example, a lot of people love their families. Those that don't typically have other very strong feelings about their families. But it would be fatuous in the extreme to claim that anyone with strong feelings about their families didn't believe in God because they were really "familiests".

I'm not sure "you believe in something, therefore you believe in God" even rises to the level of an argument. It's just a non sequitur.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

A lot of people who self identify as atheists tend to be rejectors of organised religion. Usually rejecting Christianity, probably because of it's historical dominance coupled with the fact that, in most instances these days, people are free to reject it.

Some tend to be adamant there is no God despite having no more evidence for this state of affairs than those who believe their is.

I didn't even realize that the OP meant that!

It sounds like presuppositionalism, oh no, bring the garlic and crosses.

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
A lot of people who self identify as atheists tend to be rejectors of organised religion. Usually rejecting Christianity, probably because of it's historical dominance coupled with the fact that, in most instances these days, people are free to reject it.

Some tend to be adamant there is no God despite having no more evidence for this state of affairs than those who believe their is.

But I think some atheists don't identify as such. Nearly everyone in my family lacked a belief in God, but they didn't talk about it. Well, my mum did, spitting and hissing in the corner about Christians. Well, it is Hallowe'en.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
Everyone has a set of beliefs, and they generally pursue them.

This is probably true. But that's not a reason to suppose that it isn't atheism.

To take some famous atheists: d'Holbach, Shelley, Comte, Schopenhauer, Marx, Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Sartre all had beliefs. Not the same beliefs by any means. But they all count as atheists. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe God or gods exist(*); not someone who doesn't believe anything.

(*) I think the fundamental division in belief systems lies between monotheists who believe in God but not in gods and similar atheists on the one hand, and polytheists who believe in gods but not God and similar atheists on the other. Of the atheists above, I'd say d'Holbach to Marx fall on the first side; Nietzsche, Heidegger and Sartre on the second.

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

I think there is a case for a kind of weak version of the paragraph Croesus has just cited, that might be justifiable. Something along the lines of "some people who are not formally religious have adopted other belief systems which perform much the same emotional role in their life as religious belief does in the life of a religious believer" or as Mary Midgley once put it: "worship does not always involve Hymns Ancient and Modern". But it is quite possible to be one of those people and to be an atheist. It's also possible to have neither a religious worldview nor something which on closer examination rather resembles a religious world view.

Actually, if you think about it, the latter position is not a million miles away from the position taken by sensible religious believers and sensible people who have a world view that bears some resemblance to a religion. Pretty much all of us think that when we are trying to make sense of the world we come across not only good versus evil, but also competing goods. How do we square off, say, the claims of freedom and equality? Or justice and peace? Or economic growth and concern for the environment? Now, if you are Isaiah Berlin, say, these are the key questions for a thinking person to answer. If, on the other hand, you are a Christian or a Communist or Richard Dawkins or someone else who thinks that there is one profound and terrible question that must be answered at all costs, once you have answered it you still have to answer those other questions in the light of your original answer. If you are religious, or have a religious-like belief system, presumably you hope this sheds some light on the question. But you still have to answer it and, if you are honest, you are still dealing with a trade off between competing human goods.

That being the case it is at least theoretically possible that everything boils down to how you decide between competing human goods. As a Christian, that isn't what I believe but I don't think that people who do believe it are self-evidently wicked or stupid.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

If you define atheism as not believing in "God", then before you can determine whether someone is an atheist you have to define "God" so you can compare "God" to what a person believes. Clearly the more vague you make the definition, the more people will believe something close enough to it that you can claim they aren't atheists if that is what you are trying to do.

On the other hand, some make the definition of "God" so strict that it makes most people atheists even if they don't consider themselves such. Just like believing that nobody other than your only denomination is "really Christian".

So if you want to talk about whether or not someone is an atheist, you first have to define that that means - what features does "God" need to have to qualify as a "God"? I might believe that "God" is a dyslexic dog that lives around the corner: yes, I believe such a dog exists named "God', but does that exclude me from being an atheist? What if someone believes in the social or moral concept of "God": is that close enough to believing in a "God"? This is where the real conversation has to take place, before you start judging whether or not people meet your definition.

The other question, then, is why does it matter to you whether or not I am an atheist? What benefit or advantage do you get from redefining the terms so that I'm no long an atheist? Or that I am? Why do you care? Why should I care how you define my beliefs?

I've seen a number of cases on these boards over the years where someone posits that most atheists really aren't: it often is tinged with a sense of victory or superiority: "see, even those who claim to be atheists really believe in God." I don't understand this part of it, but this certainly isn't the first post that has gone in that direction. That might be another good point for discussion, even before trying to define what constitutes an atheist.

An atheist needs nothing beyond a lack of belief in god(s) to qualify as an atheist.

For the sake of this discussion, I am content with a definition of a nontheistic god á la Spong.

It appears the belief in something and governing one's behaviour in accord with the belief is the usual human condition.

[ 31. October 2016, 21:21: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

But you are now defining theism so widely as to make the term virtually useless. It seems that you are now saying that you can be a "non-theistic theist" - huh?

quote:
For the sake of this discussion, I am content with a definition of a nontheistic god á la Spong.

What does that mean? Not having read anything by Spong, how do I tell whether a particular thought or belief qualifies as "God" or not? It is rather presumptuous, of course, to assume that atheists think in stereotypical ways as imagined by those who believe differently.

And why the need to eliminate atheists by redefining them away? Is it too threatening to have them around for some reason? It seems like there are a lot of underlying assumptions that need to be sorted out before the question even makes any sense to ask.

quote:
W. C. Fields said:

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink.

That's a belief that was pursued - does it qualify as a non-theistic God, given that it is explicit rather than unacknowledged?

I'm not a Spong expert, and you will find many references to him and his thought on the internet. Basic idea he seemed to have is of an impersonal god not too interested in human beings.

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

I suppose it depends on your understanding of theism. The non-theistic theologians such as John Spong and Gretta Vosper maintain, to some degree that you can have a spirituality without entailing a dogmatic belief in the traditional Christian God. Usually this is the case of deifying IMHO, positive Christian traits. Vosper in particularly, doesn't use the term "God" but "love" and "goodness" and "peace."

It would be weird asking Richard Dawkins if he believes in "love" or not, rather than a theistic God. But I think the atheistic response to such Christian nontheism would be dumbfoundedness, why would you gather on a sunday morning to sing praises to "love, love, love", when all you are doing is personifying an abstract concept.

I believe that to be a theist, ultimately means that you believe or accept in a divine Other, as in there is something there, in a cosmic, spiritual sense, that is not completely reducible to human perception or subjectivity. How this "other" is understood by the human may be through the metaphors of theology, and I think religious people should admit that all theology is basically metaphorical. But, if one denies the presence of the divine Other, and asserts that really, we are the only ones here, then in my mind, that is true atheism.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:

A "nontheistic god"? You've given this a lot of thought, have you?

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Weird. I've known a lot of folks in my time who were as thoroughgoing materialists as they come. Not even "spiritual, not religious" "I believe in love" "maybe there's something out there" wishy-washy types; real and true "matter is all there is, consciousness and other stuff supervenes" materialists. Maybe it's what I get from hanging around analytic philosophers—who, to be fair, are often trying to out-science their perception of scientists—but I really and truly don't have a clue where NP's getting that idea from. At all.

(Side note: turns out atheistic philosophers have very different views on a number of surprising things than theistic philosophers do. Sure, physicalism makes sense, but theists preferring communitarian political theories? Whodathunkit.)

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

One of the things I find interesting is the atheists I am familiar with want to take the Bible as literally as my fundamentalist friends.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

quetzalcoatl--

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
There are also strong atheists who actually assert that there is no God.

One of them is magician Penn Jillette. Some years back, he did an essay/recording for NPR's "This I Believe". Here is the audio and text for "There Is No God".

He took a very positive approach, though I gather he's sometimes more negative. It's really good.

np--

You don't have to answer this, but are you maybe:

a) worried about your family member and/or their soul,

or

b) worried about your own faith and/or soul?

ISTM you're trying very hard to eliminate the possibility of anyone being an atheist.

FWIW.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

There are at least 2 types of atheists. The first is relatively straight forward, believing that there is no God, no afterlife, nothing before the big bang etc. Then there are those who don't believe in God. This group includes people like Dawkins, and the problem is that they define themselves by a lack of belief expressed in such a way as to be dependent upon the existence of that being.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I have, of late, encountered "Christian Atheism", which might help to clarify this a little (or not). It is the position held by David Hayward (the Naked Pastor). It is not one I agree with at all, but have learned to understand.

His position is that all of the things that Christianity teaches about how to act and behave are good and valid. They are a way of life and a way to live a good life. This includes helping the poor, caring for others, helping them in their spiritual journey.

However - crucially - he does not believe there is a God, a divine being. He is atheistic in the sense that he has been convinced that God does not actually exist. And that this is not a problem in terms of an individuals life and behaviour.

And, of course, the Biblical writers believed in God. This is not militant atheism, in the sense of rejecting all those who believe in God. It is liberal atheism, in the sense of accepting spiritual insight from everywhere, but actually rejecting the inspiration behind it.

FWIW, I reject this position. In fact, I hold an almost inverse position - that I act as I do, that I am the person I am because of the divine in me, because God is real. That is what saves me from the mire.

What is significant is that our behaviour is not that different. And I think we can embrace each other.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:

Do they need evidence?

I don't believe in dragons.

Posted by hatless (# 3365) on :

The recently popular definition, that an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God or gods (or a God or gods, or in the existence of God or gods) is interesting because pairing God and gods is something a monotheist would not do, nor, I suspect, a polytheist.

Monotheism rejects gods as idols, as in Isaiah 44, or Acts 17. One God or many gods are not alternatives, they are different sorts of things. I suspect that a polytheist might not reject a monotheist God so much as see it as irrelevant or uninteresting.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
One of the things I find interesting is the atheists I am familiar with want to take the Bible as literally as my fundamentalist friends.

This is because they have no pressing need not to do so.

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Do they need evidence?

I don't believe in dragons.

Well, there is a big difference between the firm assertion that there is no God, and citing a lack of belief in one. Dawkins' famous scale of belief, from 1-7, had 7 as 'definitely no God', and my memory is that about 25% of respondents chose that. So these would be gnostic atheists.

That surprises me, is I can't see how one can justify absolute conviction. However, lack of belief is just that, lack of belief, citing lack of evidence for God, but not claiming to know, (agnostic atheism).

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

I think it was Leibniz who coined the phrase : Atheism is a Christian sect. There are many ways to read and understand that of course, but there is a lot of truth in it for today's 'new atheism' that often seems born from a reaction purely to Christian fundamentalism than to any true conviction about the existence of God.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I think it was Leibniz who coined the phrase : Atheism is a Christian sect. There are many ways to read and understand that of course, but there is a lot of truth in it for today's 'new atheism' that often seems born from a reaction purely to Christian fundamentalism than to any true conviction about the existence of God.

But that's just it. Atheism isn't about conviction about the existence of God. It's about lack thereof.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

There is something. Therefore there always has been. God no more explains that - being something - than no God does and makes things infinitely more complicated.

Atheism is perfectly rational. Minimal, Occamian, reductionist, simple, unimaginative, stark, elegant. But rational, inevitable with its handmaid inexorable physicalism. Perfectly reasonable.

Creation; energy, life, mind, does not logically require a creator.

It might actually do, but we have no way of knowing.

Except Jesus.

And grandeur. Wonder.

[ 01. November 2016, 11:54: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

Posted by Mouse:
quote:

But that's just it. Atheism isn't about conviction about the existence of God. It's about lack thereof.

Is it really though? I've always understood atheism as a held conviction that there is no God, whereas agnosticism covers a broad spectrum of those who believe in a God, but are not affiliated to any particular religious faith and those who simply waver between thinking there might be a God and might not be. Agnosticism, as I understand it, is difficult to define being so broad. Atheism is quite certain of its parameters. It seems to me that there is today a lot of confusion because some agnostics think it is fashionable, hip or edgy to be labelled 'atheist' rather than agnostic and there's the added accusation that agnosticism is far too wooly by half. And who really wants to be labelled wooly in today's world unless you're a principled Anglican?

It's less a conviction than a conclusion.

The rationale goes like this: anything can be postulated to exist. Russel's Teapot is the classic example. I can claim that there are pink unicorns somewhere in the world.

The onus, when such a claim is made, is to provide evidence for it. To provide a test, to provide falsifiability criteria. To be able to say "if there were no pink unicorns, then it follows we'd see X. We don't see X, therefore pink unicorns exist."

The atheist contention is that no such test, no such observation, not such falsifiability criteria are provided. The atheist is provided with no reasons to believe that God exists, and therefore, like pink unicorns and Russel's teapot, the rational conclusion is that he doesn't. And if it turns out that he does, he is of little consequence because he doesn't make any verifiable difference to the world. If he did, believers could point to that difference as evidence for his existence.

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

Well said. That's the strawman isn't. Rejecting what isn't believed.

The Spong version of god, I have thought might be a starting point to consider the opposite end.

Is the point of atheism to deny the unconscious drive towards purpose?

quote:

Does atheism have to have a point? Atheism denies either the truth or the relevance of monotheism and polytheism.
Strictly, there's a problem of language here, namely that where language has a noun we tend to believe that the world has one phenomenon. But in this case, it's better to see a number of different phenomena united largely by not being something else.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

quote:
I have long thought that atheism doesn't actually exist, except in the narrow sense of rejecting some narrow, simple or strawman view of organized religion,…

What an interesting OP – I’ve been thinking about it since I read it first thing this morning. I think you are right – atheism is, like so many thousands of abstract nouns in English, a word to label something that does not exist.* The word became needed I should think to avoid having to use whole sentences to describe a lack of belief!
thank goodness for modern communication and the freedom to discuss such things; it was a word I never heard when young when in any case to mention religion in company was the height of bad manners. I’m not so sure about the word rejection, as I think there must be many like myself who, in the course of widening contacts, knowledge and understanding of how events, such as apparent ‘miracles’, could be so wrongly misinterpreted, simply stepped easily away from belief - i.e. belief in any god.
*Or any name such as god? [Smile]

Posted by IconiumBound (# 754) on :

Having moved from a long history in Christianity to a non-believer in a supernatural being; I subscribe to Stephan Hawking's statement that "God is not necessary" (for natural evolution). That would make me an atheist but I have an aversion to that because many people assume that makes me an anti-theist. I do not feel that theistic believers are necessarily bad or evil.

I view all religions as being examples of moral structures for what is considered good behavior by the sect that made them up. Having a god to enforce (heaven or hell) those morals is a way of keeping the sect on a "good" path. When the sect tries to coerce their belief system on others by threats or violence they have moved beyond any sense of morality. But short of that, I believe the religious sect can provide comfort, relief and service to their members and others.

In other words I believe in the non-religious Golden Rule, a statement echoed in almost every religion and non-religion,

I won't be insulted if you call me an atheist but presently I am more comfortable with the title Humanist.

Karl: Liberal Backslider

Super post.
Ditto to Iconium Bound

[ 01. November 2016, 14:33: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
Having moved from a long history in Christianity to a non-believer in a supernatural being; I subscribe to Stephan Hawking's statement that "God is not necessary" (for natural evolution). That would make me an atheist but I have an aversion to that because many people assume that makes me an anti-theist. I do not feel that theistic believers are necessarily bad or evil.

I agree with Hawking on this. Which I think is part of the strawman argument. Of course evolution doesn't need a god to command the natural processes involved in evolution. Nor chemical reactions, the weather, the orbits of planets etc. None of which is an argument for or against.

An atheist needs prove there is no god like a Patagonian penguin herder needs to prove there is no Loch Ness Monster.
An atheist does not need any other context than a lack of belief.
ISTM, the obsession with defining an atheist as more than that lies in a lack inside the person obsessed, not in atheist self-definition.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

quote:
In other words I believe in the non-religious Golden Rule
Would you mind my asking why 'non-religious'? Believing in the Golden Rule seems like a religious position to me; it not being a position which has a name commonly recognised as 'a religion' doesn't seem to me to be a good enough reason why it isn't.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:

Atheism doesn't have a "point". It is no more nor less than the absence of belief in any Divine Being(s).

Many, if not most, atheists have a drive towards purpose in their lives. They just don't derive that purpose from a theistic belief.

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:
In other words I believe in the non-religious Golden Rule
Would you mind my asking why 'non-religious'? Believing in the Golden Rule seems like a religious position to me; it not being a position which has a name commonly recognised as 'a religion' doesn't seem to me to be a good enough reason why it isn't.
Believing that one should treat others how one wishes to be treated isn't an inherently religious poition. And not all beliefs are religions.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

Usually when I hear of atheists, they are in countries like Britain or the U.S. where a common reference point is some version of Christianity. I hear thereby of atheists as rejecting specifically Christianity. I do not usually hear of atheists as people rejecting Buddhism or various other religions. I suppose there must be such but I do not hear of them. Are there societies in which atheism is rare?

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

I don't believe in the god or religion rejected by many atheists either. Surely atheism can exist only if people know who the God is that others believe in, so that an informed decision can be made to reject the possibility of that God's existence.

lilBuddha - spot on.

HCH - there is no Buddhist God. Atheism nulls all theism including mono: the People of the Book and poly: Hinduism. Atheism is officially rare in Muslim societies as it gets you murdered.

Raptor Eye - no one else needs to believe in any God(s) for a person positively not to. Any idea of God(s) will do.

Karl: Liberal Backslider - the evidence for God is existence itself. Which is actually binary, 50:50 Either stuff exists because it can of itself, or it can't and therefore God has to think it. This isn't falsifiable either way.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I do not usually hear of atheists as people rejecting Buddhism or various other religions.

Of course, many schools of Buddhism are non-theistic to start with.

Based on my own experience, it seems to me a reasonable question to consider what concept of God an athiest does not believe. I have known those who reject all concepts of God, while I've known others who reject a more Christian concept of God but remain open to other concepts of the divine, however they might express it. (And for the record, I think it's an equally reasonable question to consider what concept of God theists believe in. Even among Christians, I find widely differing understandings of God.)

But it doesn't really follow to me to suggest that an atheist who rejects all concepts of God isn't really an atheist because they believe in something that someone else might label "god," however unreasonable that label might be.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Many, if not most, atheists have a drive towards purpose in their lives. They just don't derive that purpose from a theistic belief.

Human drive and achievement is perfectly capable of functioning independently from any theism, meditation or spiritual practicing.

If somebody really isn't bothered that dead means dead, or that planet Earth with all it's biological diversity is, in the face of all available evidence, a mere quirk of the Cosmos then who is anyone to try and tell them different.

Posted by IconiumBound (# 754) on :

In reply to Mark-in-Manchester
I used the term "non-religious" to indicate that the usual version of the Golden Rule does not use the word god or God. Although it does no harm for a god-believer to assume it comes from his/her God; as long as he/she doesn't press his/her version on others.

Wikipedia gives this definition:
quote:
The Golden Rule or law of reciprocity is the principle of treating others as one would wish to be treated oneself. It is a maxim of altruism seen in many human religions and human cultures

Posted by Goldfish Stew (# 5512) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

The atheist contention is that no such test, no such observation, not such falsifiability criteria are provided. The atheist is provided with no reasons to believe that God exists, and therefore, like pink unicorns and Russel's teapot, the rational conclusion is that he doesn't. And if it turns out that he does, he is of little consequence because he doesn't make any verifiable difference to the world. If he did, believers could point to that difference as evidence for his existence.

This is well put, and sums up where I sit. I'd be one of the people who if someone insisted on a label would hover between agnostic and atheist dependent on context. (The agnostic part comes from the notion that a verifiable piece of evidence may pop up tomorrow, thus the door cannot be closed as a complete article of faith.)

My last prayer about 8 years ago was "well I'll start acting as if you exist if you do." Before that gets overly dissected, that's a culmination of a longer journey [Biased] , but resonates with Karl's summation.

Of course, that also depends entirely on the definition of "God" utilised.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

I am aware that Buddhism is non-theistic. I was thinking more of atheism as the rejection of a religion (or of all such).

quote:
I was thinking more of atheism as the rejection of a religion (or of all such).

Why? Whilst Buddhism is most properly described as non-theist, there are atheist Buddhists.
Religion is more than theism, and whilst most atheist I know reject religion as well, I don't see how that is part of the definition of atheism.
As for your earlier comment regarding atheists speaking mainly of Christianity, I would suggest that is more a function of the dominance of Christianity in your culture rather than a link between the two.

X-post. This is to HCH.

But is atheism a rejection at all? If I say, "I am not a philatelist" I'm not saying I reject anything, but only that I don't collect stamps. There is not one sort of stamp that I don't collect more than any other stamp. I'm not saying I hate all stamp collectors. It does not follow from my statement that I was a member of the philately society and had an unfortunate experience there that left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. It just means I don't collect stamps.

The unfortunate conclusions start to appear thick and fast when a collective term is coined for non-stamp-collectors. Let's say, astampists. Then people ask, what motivates astampists? Which stamp or stamps are they rejecting? Don't they really have hobbies that take the place in their lives that philately takes in ours? Doesn't that show they're really repressed philatelists deep inside?

One could easily forgive the astampist, or atheist, who irritably growls, "It's not about you."

[ 01. November 2016, 20:41: Message edited by: mousethief ]

Bugger, got caught up in silly language.
Atheism doesn't require rejection per se. All it requires is a lack of belief which, as you say, isn't quite the same thing.

I think even the phrase 'lack of belief' is pretty problematic. Beliefs aren't things you lack when you don't have them. Even 'absence of belief' is dodgy. Beliefs aren't things that can be absent or present.
I don't have an absence of belief in birther or truther conspiracy theories. I just disbelieve them. I don't lack belief in Tory party health policy.

But you are disbelieving specific things. An atheist doesn't need to know the particulars of Christianity or Hinduism to say they don't believe in any god.
It is a weird thing to insist an atheist must specifically disbelieve.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
But you are disbelieving specific things. An atheist doesn't need to know the particulars of Christianity or Hinduism to say they don't believe in any god.

Yes. You must discollect a particular kind of stamp.

Posted by Net Spinster (# 16058) on :

quote:
Usually when I hear of atheists, they are in countries like Britain or the U.S. where a common reference point is some version of Christianity. I hear thereby of atheists as rejecting specifically Christianity. I do not usually hear of atheists as people rejecting Buddhism or various other religions. I suppose there must be such but I do not hear of them. Are there societies in which atheism is rare?

Hemant Mehta who has a fairly popular atheist blog is a former Jain and has had some scathing remarks about his former religion's tendency to promote extreme fasts (no food for several days) even for children (this recently led to the death of a child). India has a fairly large rationalist association (though small when one considers the population size). There are atheists who use to be Muslim; at least one is in prison in Saudi Arabia and several have been hacked to death in Bangladesh. Atheists who use to be Buddhists may be a bit less seen especially since it is possible to be a Buddhist and an atheist (just as it is possible to be Jewish and an atheist).

@mousethief. Superb. Isn't it a corollary of Russell's position that as soon as one starts talking about God, theos's, gods, the supernatural, the non-physicalist one has just left language, meaning, rational thought?

A position that is clear and pure.

To which there is no possible challenge but Jesus and His revelation of eternal life.

quote:

Yes. I should probably have written 'don't believe them'.
That said, I think when it comes to ideas that we've actually heard of there's no real difference between 'don't believe at all' and 'disbelieve'. If we don't believe an idea or fact we've heard of at all it's because we have some background idea of what's plausible that it doesn't fit into. (Or else because we have some background idea that the person speaking is unreliable.)
This doesn't mean that the disbelief has to be in any way specific. If someone tells me that they've seen a near-hominid cryptid I don't have to specifically disbelieve the yeti, the sasquatch, and all other possible candidates to say that I find ape-man hominids implausible in the general case.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The unfortunate conclusions start to appear thick and fast when a collective term is coined for non-stamp-collectors. Let's say, astampists. Then people ask, what motivates astampists? Which stamp or stamps are they rejecting? Don't they really have hobbies that take the place in their lives that philately takes in ours? Doesn't that show they're really repressed philatelists deep inside?

One could easily forgive the astampist, or atheist, who irritably growls, "It's not about you."

I heartily agree with this. Very well put, sir.

quote:
X-post. This is to HCH.

But is atheism a rejection at all? If I say, "I am not a philatelist" I'm not saying I reject anything, but only that I don't collect stamps. There is not one sort of stamp that I don't collect more than any other stamp. I'm not saying I hate all stamp collectors. It does not follow from my statement that I was a member of the philately society and had an unfortunate experience there that left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. It just means I don't collect stamps.

You can't say that you are not a philatelist unless you have an idea in your head about what a philatelist is.

If you had preconceived ideas about the nature of philately which were inaccurate, and tried to recruit others to your point of view that philately was a pointless hobby and anyone who took it up was an idiot, and in fact it should be only exercised out of the public eye and definitely not taught to children, you would be creating your own group of 'astampists'. It would not then be a surprise if there were challenges to your position,

If you simply didn't collect stamps and got on with your life, leaving stamp collectors to get on with theirs, there would not be an issue.

No analogy works perfectly, especially if people refuse to see the point.
One doesn't need to know the inner workings of any religion to disbelieve the concept of god(s). One can merely believe that supernatural beings are unnecessary. Actually, even that much is unnecessary. All one need do is see the universe as a natural, unguided phenomenon. The concept of god need not be.

quote:
One doesn't need to know the inner workings of any religion to disbelieve the concept of god(s). One can merely believe that supernatural beings are unnecessary. Actually, even that much is unnecessary. All one need do is see the universe as a natural, unguided phenomenon. The concept of god need not be.

Well, thank you for your posts, and mousethief also, which are very clear. It baffles me why some Christians make such heavy weather of atheism, and set up various straw men, to do with rejecting God and so on.

Some atheists do reject God, but that isn't what defines atheism.

quote:

The false assumptions here are that people who believe in God do so because they see God as necessary, or because they think that there must have been a creator of the universe for it to exist.

Posted by que sais-je (# 17185) on :

quote:
One doesn't need to know the inner workings of any religion to disbelieve the concept of god(s).

I agree. It is possible to imagine a world in which some believe in God and some don't but in which there are no religions. Conversely religions could exist whether or not there is a God. Why should atheism be linked to any understanding of religion?

The idea of God doesn't have enough emotional force to make me believe but if one day it did would my belief cause me to join a religion? Why?

Damn good question! It has the force for me but no religious brand does apart from the Christianity (UK) brand Oasis label of course.

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

There are plenty of people with a vague belief in an unknowable God but who don't see the point of "organised religion".

And plenty of people with no belief in God.

The "no belief" people include those who've seriously considered the idea and rejected it, as well as those who've never seriously considered it.

There are those who embrace atheism as a quasi-religious ideological position to which they display quasi-religious commitment. But they're probably just the visible top of the iceberg.

quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
It is possible to imagine a world in which some believe in God and some don't but in which there are no religions. Conversely religions could exist whether or not there is a God. Why should atheism be linked to any understanding of religion?

The idea of God doesn't have enough emotional force to make me believe but if one day it did would my belief cause me to join a religion? Why?

Religions are there to help facilitate our beliefs, not to dictate but to guide us in them, to help us to develop spiritually and to come together in them - where God is involved, to worship alongside each other.

I don't know how an idea of God could provide emotional force so that someone would believe. Any idea of God must surely include something about the nature of God.

Jesus'

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
You can't say that you are not a philatelist unless you have an idea in your head about what a philatelist is.

Of course a non-stamp collector such as myself doesn't need a very robust understanding of stamp collecting to say he isn't one. I know what stamps are. I know what collecting is. Therefore I know I am not a stamp collector. But the thing is, I don't define myself as an astampist. It just so happens I'm an astampist.

There are tons of groups of people I do not belong to. It never occurs to me to describe myself as a non-skateboarder, or a non-Corvair-owner, or a non-scuba-diver. The complement of any defined set of humans is not necessarily itself anything other than the complement of some other set. Non-spelunking is not a "thing." Non-cycling is not a "thing."

I'm not clear why this simple and obvious principle doesn't apply to the complement of the set of theists.

quote:
If you had preconceived ideas about the nature of philately which were inaccurate, and tried to recruit others to your point of view that philately was a pointless hobby and anyone who took it up was an idiot, and in fact it should be only exercised out of the public eye and definitely not taught to children, you would be creating your own group of 'astampists'. It would not then be a surprise if there were challenges to your position,
This is true. But those aren't astampists, they're antistampists. Which is a different beast.

quote:
If you simply didn't collect stamps and got on with your life, leaving stamp collectors to get on with theirs, there would not be an issue.
Nope, sorry, I'm calling bullshit. People were burning atheists at the stake when they were still secretive and not the least bit evangelical. The "new atheism" is a reaction to persecution, not the origin of it. Of course being human beings they have become just as big of assholes as the theists they are reacting to. But that's humans for you. We kinda suck that way.

quote:
quote:

The false assumptions here are that people who believe in God do so because they see God as necessary, or because they think that there must have been a creator of the universe for it to exist.
But that's quite irrelevant to the existence and nature of atheists. Some of them may think that of theists; others may not give a crap.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:

And Tillich said the West is still "Christian" (or, was when he was alive and writing) because Christianity has formulated the questions we ask.

My Buddhist academic advisor says that Westerners have tended to ask, "What is God like?" while Easterners have tended to ask, "What is mind like?" That's at least an interesting place to start thinking about how impossible it is to force the whole world into these neat, Christian-thought-derived categories when the rest of the world has been thinking and asking about completely different questions.

So having grown up in a Christian or post-Christian context, some atheists may be influenced by Christianity in the categories of their thought. They also might not be, I think - especially now, since in Tillich's time, it was still common for people in the West to go to church or nominally identify as Christian, where that's really less the case anymore.

Anyway, my advisor is a professor at the Graduate Theological Union. He happens to hate the term "theological," because it excludes his belief system. "Religious" doesn't fare much better, because he says it also doesn't describe the reality of Buddhist thought and practice (although as a Westerner, I have a hard time understanding that one).

The whole world would be a much better place, though, if we Western Christians would stop imposing our thought categories on everyone else. It makes me think of all the violence done in God's name when missionaries thought they saw the devil everywhere...

So to turn to Tillich again, I find his concept of "ultimate concern" useful. I think that describes the belief system concept the OP is getting at: the fact that everyone has a belief system of some sort. It's not fair to label that religious or theist, or not-atheist, but it is true that humans generally have some system of beliefs not just about how the world works, but about what is ultimately significant, meaningful, important - whether that be seeking knowledge/truth, getting along with others, avoiding going to hell, seeking the good of others above self, providing for yourself and your family, making America great again, whatever. We can analogously, if inaccurately, call that religious, in the sense that it fits in the Western/Christian concept of "religious." But it's good to let others speak in their own terms about what's ultimately of value to them, I think.

quote:

Can you analyse exactly why you believe, I wonder?

quote:
quote:

My statement makes absolutely no assumptions about theists.

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

Anyway, my advisor is a professor at the Graduate Theological Union. He happens to hate the term "theological," because it excludes his belief system. "Religious" doesn't fare much better, because he says it also doesn't describe the reality of Buddhist thought and practice (although as a Westerner, I have a hard time understanding that one).

Buddhism doesn't properly fit any but the loosest interpretation of religion. And yet, it does not sit completely outside, either.

There seems to be a lot of confusion between atheism and anti-theism. Some of the prominent new atheists strike me as antis, e.g. Dawkins, but I think there are plenty of atheists who not anti.

Lacking a belief in God does not imply rejecting God, or anything negative.

Part of this is about the burden of proof, isn't it? Some Christians try to insist that atheism means 'I claim that there is no God', as then the atheist has the burden of proof. Well, there are atheists who claim that, but plenty who don't.

Burden of proof is always on the person proposing the existence of something. This is the Atheists' point. You wouldn't accuse someone who doesn't believe in the Loch Ness Monster to prove it doesn't exist; you'd ask the believer to provide evidence for Nessie's existence.

Once you've decided that believing in God has no evidential basis, and is actually rather silly (like believing in fairies or Father Christmas), then you don't have to go far (ISIL, Norn Irn, Palestine) to find places where people not believing in their particular version of the Great Sky Fairy could hardly be presumed to be likely to make things worse.

quote:
Once you've decided that believing in God has no evidential basis, and is actually rather silly (like believing in fairies or Father Christmas), then you don't have to go far (ISIL, Norn Irn, Palestine) to find places where people not believing in their particular version of the Great Sky Fairy could hardly be presumed to be likely to make things worse. [emphasis mine]

The italicized part is not lack of belief but positive belief, and as such falls under the burden of proof rule. I'd say it's anti-theist, that is anti-god-botherers, although perhaps not anti-god. It is part of the arrogance of the "New Atheists" that sticks in the craw of theists the way that theists' assumptions about the ethics/morals of atheists stick in their throats.

I'm not sure it does fall under positive belief, if it's simply an outworking of the basic principle that believing in things for which there is no evidence is inherently rather silly.

quote:
Burden of proof is always on the person proposing the existence of something. This is the Atheists' point. You wouldn't accuse someone who doesn't believe in the Loch Ness Monster to prove it doesn't exist; you'd ask the believer to provide evidence for Nessie's existence.

Once you've decided that believing in God has no evidential basis, and is actually rather silly (like believing in fairies or Father Christmas), then you don't have to go far (ISIL, Norn Irn, Palestine) to find places where people not believing in their particular version of the Great Sky Fairy could hardly be presumed to be likely to make things worse.

All of those places have been buggered about by imperialists disempowering local people including by bringing in competing aliens whose culture is radically different. In Iraq (the product of terribly wiser Ottoman then unwise Anglo-French then American imperialism) the Shia majority is not plural. Religion is a very good differentiator. Otherizer. Tyrannizer. Secularization would certainly help, the Soviets understood that. But that doesn't work in an open society. Look at France.

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

Yes, I can. I believe because over time I was convinced, by my own experience of the way Christ shows us the way to God.

Jesus said 'Seek and you will find, Knock and the door will be opened, Ask and it will be given to you.' I found this to be the truth. When we draw near to God, God draws near to us.

The living God exists, therefore I believe.

quote:
quote:

Yes, I can. I believe because over time I was convinced, by my own experience of the way Christ shows us the way to God.

Jesus said 'Seek and you will find, Knock and the door will be opened, Ask and it will be given to you.' I found this to be the truth. When we draw near to God, God draws near to us.

Problem is my experience is very different. So much so that I'm no longer sure I believe there is a God. More uninclined to let go of the hope than anything.

So if your experience and application of that verse is correct, why doesn't it happen for everyone? I find that verse one of the hardest in the NT, because it doesn't seem to chime with my experience.

[ 03. November 2016, 12:48: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

quote:

Nope, sorry, I'm calling bullshit. People were burning atheists at the stake when they were still secretive and not the least bit evangelical. The "new atheism" is a reaction to persecution, not the origin of it. Of course being human beings they have become just as big of assholes as the theists they are reacting to. But that's humans for you. We kinda suck that way.

I see your bullshit and raise you one.

It was heresy people were burned for, back in the day, i.e. people who took a stance against the standard theological viewpoint of the Church. AFAIK, the sanction against atheists was refusal of burial in consecrated ground. Which I assume they wouldn't be too bothered about.

Today's atheists have not been persecuted, there is no reaction.

I don't know any Christians who consider atheists inherently immoral, that seems to be another straw man.

quote:

I should withdraw that question because I think we did a similar Q and A not so long ago! [Smile]

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
This seems like a sloppy, over-broad definition of theism that would be rejected in any other context.

I see I'm not the first person to have this reaction. "Atheism" has nothing do with a lack of belief in general. It only refers to a lack of belief in gods.

quote:
quote:

Problem is my experience is very different. So much so that I'm no longer sure I believe there is a God. More uninclined to let go of the hope than anything.

So if your experience and application of that verse is correct, why doesn't it happen for everyone? I find that verse one of the hardest in the NT, because it doesn't seem to chime with my experience.

I don't know why, Karl. I know that no two people's experience of God is identical, and that our relationship with Christ is personal.

I can say that I had no preconceived ideas about how or whether I would discover the truth about God's existence when I began to search, that I considered other explanations, and that it was over a period of time.

Well a good scientist always takes an interest in someone else's research, even if it conflicts with his own conclusions. So to that end, I would - genuinely - like to know, in precise terms:

1. What you did
2. What the results were
3. What you concluded
4. The reasoning that drive your conclusions from your results.

And this is genuine. Data is data.

To an extent, I accept the idea of seeking and finding, only it wasn't Jesus that I found! Still, I'm assuming that Jesus is OK with this, why wouldn't he be?

quote:
Burden of proof is always on the person proposing the existence of something.

Can you prove the existence of burden of proof?

quote:
You wouldn't accuse someone who doesn't believe in the Loch Ness Monster to prove it doesn't exist; you'd ask the believer to provide evidence for Nessie's existence.
On a strict reading of the burden of proof principle, I'm not under any burden to argue this doesn't establish your point. I can just say that it doesn't establish your point, and leave you to try and prove that it does.

However, as I think burden of proof is a legal concept which is misapplied and abused in this context:
1) The reason that I don't believe in the Loch Ness Monster isn't that nobody has proved its existence.
I've never seen a fossil elasmosaurus. I believe in them. There's quite a lot I believe in that I take on trust. (Lungfish, for instance. I'm told they have lungs. Never seen proof. Giant squid likewise.)
The reason I don't believe in the Loch Ness Monster is that you'd expect someone to have a reliable sighting of it by now given that it's supposed to pop up to the surface now and then. That is a negative claim that I'm asserting. Not a lack of positive evidence on their part.

Secondly, even if the principle applied in the case of cryptozoology that wouldn't be sufficient to establish that it applies in the general case. (Which if the burden of proof is on you to establish its existence is on you to establish.)

In so far as the burden of proof is at all applicable to epistemology, the burden of proof lies on the person trying to change the other person's mind.

quote:

That's a legal definition. And a narrow definition of what belief and nonbelief is, to the point of mockery and hubris; the implication is that people who hold to a belief are childlike akin to believers in leprechauns. It makes it easy to dismiss as stupid, uneducated and nitwit when the comparison is attempted this way.

We might have to understand how it is that people have been able to maintain an understanding of a basic foundation, which some personify as a god and some do not, from the Greeks (think of Plotinus and neoPlatonism) to ongoing ideas of a "perennial philosophy".

quote:
quote:

This is a reasonable and respectable answer.

quote:

This is not.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

In so far as the burden of proof is at all applicable to epistemology, the burden of proof lies on the person trying to change the other person's mind.

If I am trying to convince you of something, then yes.
However, in general, the burden belongs to the extraordinary claim.

quote:
And a narrow definition of what belief and nonbelief is, to the point of mockery and hubris;

And telling atheists that they are deluding themselves isn't?
Your OP combined with this statement is a plank so prominent that pirates will soon be walking it. I suggest you consider removing it before the weight of their tread causes ocular damage.

quote:
Well a good scientist always takes an interest in someone else's research, even if it conflicts with his own conclusions. So to that end, I would - genuinely - like to know, in precise terms:

1. What you did
2. What the results were
3. What you concluded

I don't think that this is the right place for the long version.

quote:
quote:

If I am trying to convince you of something, then yes.
However, in general, the burden belongs to the extraordinary claim.

If you aren't trying to convince anyone of something then you aren't making a claim.

Also, just what makes a 'claim' 'extraordinary' or not? It seems to me that a 'claim' is 'extraordinary' if and only if the person you're trying to convince has positive reasons to disbelieve it.

quote:
That's a legal definition. And a narrow definition of what belief and nonbelief is

What it actually is, is a proper recognition that we're not defining "belief", we are defining "belief in".

That's where you (like so many of my clients...) are falling down. You're completely failing to recognise that "belief in" is a verb with an object. Theism is "belief in gods" and atheism is "no belief in gods". You're trying to act as if they are "belief" and "no belief", a verb hanging in the air with no object to operate upon.

You may very well be correct that no-one on the planet can say "I do not believe". But "I believe" is not theism.

Frankly, your argument is equivalent to "vegetarianism doesn't exist because vegetarians eat". Vegetarians aren't defined by not eating. They are defined by what they don't eat.

[ 03. November 2016, 21:46: Message edited by: orfeo ]

In fact, look at Karl's post and then look at your response. Every one of Karl's uses of "believe/belief" is followed by the word "in". Yours is not. And that's exactly where you're going wrong.

Bliss. As on the Brexit thread.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:
I don't know any Christians who consider atheists inherently immoral, that seems to be another straw man.

Hmm. I don't personally know any white supremacists, but I don't doubt that they exist.

There are seven American states in which atheists were held to be so immoral that it was felt necessary to write bans on atheists holding public office into their constitutions.

results

of

a

quick

Google

search

Posted by que sais-je (# 17185) on :

quote:
I don't know how an idea of God could provide emotional force so that someone would believe. Any idea of God must surely include something about the nature of God.

I guess the discussion has moved on but I'd say arguments for and against belief in God seem fairly equally balanced for me. So starting from a position of disbelief why would I change?

Saul very probably knew something about Jesus' teachings but I suspect it wasn't the logic of some new argument which made him a Christian.

In my case, I'd be happy to believe in the existence of God but the world just doesn't seem that sort of way to me. And, if I did believe, I struggle to see how joining a religion would make the world a better place. OK it might nurture my spiritual development but what isn't clear is how necessarily that helps anyone else.

quote:
quote:

1. What you did
2. What the results were
3. What you concluded

I don't think that this is the right place for the long version.
Furry Snuff; if you could possibly find a right place though I'd be very interested. I have a pressing need to form a consistent view of reality that can explain both your experience and mine, but to do that I need to understand your experience and associated thought processes. See the paper, not just the Abstract, if you will.

I gave up on a consistent view of reality a few years ago. It just doesn't work, well, not for me at any rate. There seem to be different levels or areas of reality, with their own rules and components, and they sort of mesh together, and sometimes they don't.

The most obvious one is the 'inner world', but then that in itself has different areas. I remember that Jung related the notion of God to an inner image, but after that, it becomes complicated, and individual. I end up with something bespoke.

Yeah, but there's either a God or there isn't one. So it's possible to get a coherent view on that. I'm looking for an evidenced coherent view.

Ah, well, sometimes there is, and sometimes there isn't. If you want consistency, you need Cool Whip.

I mean, that is an objectivist view of reality, with an objective God, and an objective self (me). I don't see it like that at all. I think some theists and some atheists fall into the trap of a false dichotomy in this way. However, going o/t.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I completely agree with you Karl: Liberal Backslider. And with Raptor Eye.

God has drawn close to me in Christ. In the Christ myth. The Father has revealed the Son to me who therefore reveals the Father. Initiated and sustained by, in, through the Spirit.

I 'choose' to believe that. I've been given that faith. What more do I need?

Apart from charity of course ...

All else, that's ALL else has been pruned away.

What more do you need?

quote:
quote:

I guess the discussion has moved on but I'd say arguments for and against belief in God seem fairly equally balanced for me. So starting from a position of disbelief why would I change?

Saul very probably knew something about Jesus' teachings but I suspect it wasn't the logic of some new argument which made him a Christian.

In my case, I'd be happy to believe in the existence of God but the world just doesn't seem that sort of way to me. And, if I did believe, I struggle to see how joining a religion would make the world a better place. OK it might nurture my spiritual development but what isn't clear is how necessarily that helps anyone else.

Because the church is THEORETICALLY the best way to be incarnational. It isn't by a country mile of course. Secular and even and especially state charity and good works are orders of magnitude more so.

quote:
I mean, that is an objectivist view of reality, with an objective God, and an objective self (me). I don't see it like that at all. I think some theists and some atheists fall into the trap of a false dichotomy in this way. However, going o/t.

Yeah, but I've got a feeling it's going to take an objective God to do this raising up on the last day stuff, and all that what's meant to be promised in the NT. A non-objective God isn't much use to me.

Last Day? Hmmm. The End (Time(s)) of Days came with Jesus. Which He appeared to defer. To the end of His natural lifetime, generation. And that may have been possibly deferred again in the minds of Paul and John. Or not. Certainly not until now or later.

quote:
quote:

Yeah, but I've got a feeling it's going to take an objective God to do this raising up on the last day stuff, and all that what's meant to be promised in the NT. A non-objective God isn't much use to me.
Well, good luck with that. I don't see that it's feasible. I think objectivity is a useful heuristic, but then to turn it into a philosophical or theological position seems bizarre to me. My whole consciousness doesn't seem objective to me, after all, I live in the first person. What is that?

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Last Day? Hmmm. The End (Time(s)) of Days came with Jesus. Which He appeared to defer. To the end of His natural lifetime, generation. And that may have been possibly deferred again in the minds of Paul and John. Or not. Certainly not until now or later.

Might have been that Sense of impending doom which some of us get struck down with from time to time.

Can't say I have really got into the objective God. That quickly became unravelled once I started thinking .... If He can do that, (like impregnate a virgin and bring somebody dead back to life), then why can't He do a whole heap of other stuff.
Afraid my God , Jesus and Holy Spirit are unashamedly woolly. Similar to the 'woolly' that I suspect many atheists might draw on when faced with the Big Questions.

raptor Eye, thank you for your, as always, interesting replies.
quote:
Yeah, but there's either a God or there isn't one. So it's possible to get a coherent view on that. I'm looking for an evidenced coherent view.

An evidenced view needs to start with a method, doesn't it? The scientific method cannot be used because there are no actual observations on which to base a question.

quote:

[QB] Afraid my God , Jesus and Holy Spirit are unashamedly woolly. Similar to the 'woolly' that I suspect many atheists might draw on when faced with the Big Questions.

Well, I personally do not feel 'woolly' about any of the 'big questions'! [Smile]

quote:
raptor Eye, thank you for your, as always, interesting replies.
quote:

An evidenced view needs to start with a method, doesn't it? The scientific method cannot be used because there are no actual observations on which to base a question.
Of course there are.

As for the objective God, the ultimate subject, I find mine most consistent: revealed in Christ. Nowt else apart from that being so for me. Certainly no transpersonal experiences whatsoever. No interference.

Nought be all else to me save that thou art.

[ 04. November 2016, 14:29: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

Karl: I'll do my best, and will come back to you.

quote:

It is always worthwhile to look for the truth.

Paul already believed in God before his 'road to Damascus' experience. Following that, he believed in Christ.

For some people, probably most, religion comes first. Through the Christian religion, people follow Jesus and find God, grow spiritually, and are sent out to serve God by sharing God's love in the community. This makes a positive impact on the world.

quote:

Evidence-- we exist, you exist. If we have the use of our 5 physical senses then we are likely to make the rational deduction that a whole lot of other physical stuff around us also exists.
Question-- how did this incredibly intricate order from chaos we observe, and been given the ability to measure, come about?

Religion answers God, implying purpose to existence even though we might not know what that purpose is.
Science answers Natural Forces. Which is all perfectly plausible but science alone can never specify purpose to our predicament. It trys to apply the theory of randomness, something to which even scientists themselves do not seem wholly convinced.

Good man on the evidence.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course there are.
Can you think of one such observation for which the only answer is God?

quote:
quote:

Evidence-- we exist, you exist. If we have the use of our 5 physical senses then we are likely to make the rational deduction that a whole lot of other physical stuff around us also exists.
Yes, agree – no argument there.
quote:
Question-- how did this incredibly intricate order from chaos we observe, and been given the ability to measure, come about?
I think Science is doing a pretty good job of understanding and verifying much of the way the universe has come to be as it is at the moment. The study will keep them busy for a long time to come, but so far they have not found any need for the added complexity of any god to have had anything to do with it.
quote:
Religion answers God, implying purpose to existence even though we might not know what that purpose is.
The idea of purpose, whether for oneself, the world or the universe is a human idea, isn’t it?
quote:
Science answers Natural Forces. Which is all perfectly plausible but science alone can never specify purpose to our predicament.
That is an interesting choice of words. Why do you think it is a ‘predicament’? How does the predicament have a purpose?
quote:
It trys to apply the theory of randomness, something to which even scientists themselves do not seem wholly convinced.
I hadn’t heard of that before, so I googled. It came up with an interesting page about how some scientists are beginning to be able to find the patterns in the randomness of natural shapes in nature and use this in mathematical probability, but I don’t think I’ll be able to get my head round all that!

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I doubt if the universe, planets, nature or humans have any purpose.

But individuals and groups of people certainly can have purpose. In fact, having a purposeful and productive life gives meaning to us all. But I see no need of God in all this.

Good, yes - but not God.

If going to church/mosque/synagogue/temple to worship what you know of God gives you purpose and motivation to do good then that's an excellent thing imo - churches can be great purposeful communities, mine is. These days I go for that reason (and it's excellent puppy socialisation - akin to many work/uni/theatre type situations the pup needs to become accustomed to). During the sermon I ponder what my ideas on the preachers words are, they don't often agree - but I never say so unless asked.

I usually enjoy the hymns and prayers, they give me a sense of nostalgia and memories of my Dad (who was a minister). So although I couldn't be further from my 'heavenly father'. I love the time every week set aside to remember my earthy father.

[ 05. November 2016, 07:51: Message edited by: Boogie ]

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course there are.
Either infinite, eternal, material stuff (the 'natural' stuff in your back yard, obeying the laws of thermodynamics and the stuff that makes universes, not obeying the laws of thermodynamics: some paradox) is sui generis or is generated by non-material ('supernatural', transfinite, pre-eternal) sui generis stuff.

Neither is amenable to science. And never will be. Neither is rational. The dichotomy is. Reality, existence is ineffable. To pretend otherwise is delusional. Half brained.

The enquiry can only ever be rhetorical, dialectical, philosophical and will always play to a draw.

So, if natural stuff isn't sui generis (and there is no REASON why it should be, apart from an infinite loop stating it, it is non-teleological, purposeless, meaningless, in fact there is just a thermodynamically open null) what generates it?

Something (qualitatively) more complex, something with meaning, with purpose. Best case purpose.

This is a very simple, perfectly rational, bifurcation of posits.

What is your reason for claiming that a 'simpler', purposeless thermodynamically open thing is the only guess?

Can the alternative be explored? Of course. On a plate. Full of Jesus.

quote:

For some people, probably most, religion comes first. Through the Christian religion, people follow Jesus and find God, grow spiritually, and are sent out to serve God by sharing God's love in the community. This makes a positive impact on the world.

Yeah, not a fan of such declarative statements, especially when they are false. Or at least overly simplistic to the point of being meaningless.
Your statement ignores all the harm done by christians and all the good done by non-christians.
If you believe all good comes from God, whether or not someone believes; that is rational and acceptable.
But Christianity can be good or harmful; something that is writ large upon human history.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
[qb] Yeah, but there's either a God or there isn't one. So it's possible to get a coherent view on that. I'm looking for an evidenced coherent view.

Of course there are.
I have read your response through several times. I have highlighted it, copied and pasted it on to a document and slowed down the reading speed of Synthetic Dave, but would much appreciate a simplified version which would get a commendation from the Plain English Campaign! In the meantime, I’ll have a go at responding.
quote:
Either infinite, eternal, material stuff (the 'natural' stuff in your back yard, obeying the laws of thermodynamics and the stuff that makes universes, not obeying the laws of thermodynamics: some paradox) is sui generis or is generated by non-material ('supernatural', transfinite, pre-eternal) sui generis stuff.
[Neither is amenable to science. And never will be.

That is a rash assertion I think. Why do you think they need God rather than a scientist’s answer: ‘We don’t know all the answers yet, but we will keep on putting forward hypotheses and devising tests to see whether we can come close to a good explanation.’
quote:
The dichotomy is. Reality, existence is ineffable. To pretend otherwise is delusional. Half brained.
Pretence is unnecessary.It has been described quite well over the last 150 years and it is, I would say, just about impossible for the understanding of existence etc to revert to a necessity for faith without well-tested evidence. Because we cannot say exactly why the first cells replicated etc several billion years ago does not mean that the reason is 100% ineffable.
quote:
The enquiry can only ever be rhetorical, dialectical, philosophical and will always play to a draw.
A draw?!! This brings us back to the idea that a God is as probable as not, it seems, with which of course I most certainly do not agree.
quote:
So, if natural stuff isn't sui generis (and there is no REASON why it should be, apart from an infinite loop stating it, it is non-teleological, purposeless, meaningless, in fact there is just a thermodynamically open null) what generates it?Something (qualitatively) more complex, something with meaning, with purpose. Best case purpose.

I need clarification on this.
quote:
What is your reason for claiming that a 'simpler', purposeless thermodynamically open thing is the only guess?

Obviously it is not the only guess! People have been guessing ever since the emergence of language I should think. However, the alternative, which in your last sentence here seems to be faith in Jesus etc, cannot be ‘explored’ without objectivity.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course there are.
You have moved the goalposts. First the call is for evidence, now the call is for evidence that can only be explained by God. It may be that the case for God is not made up of observations that can only be explained by God, but by the preponderance of observations that can be explained by God.

Thus did we move from a geocentric to a heliocentric model of the sun and planets. At the time the scientific community started the slide over, there were no data the geocentrists couldn't explain with their epicycles and what-not.

It wasn't any one observation that tipped the scales. It was the preponderance of evidence and the beautiful simplicity of the theory. The latter not being terribly "scientific" in the narrow sense, but nevertheless a very widely used criterion in science, and one specially commended by Einstein, if I'm not mistaken.

quote:
You have moved the goalposts. First the call is for evidence, now the call is for evidence that can only be explained by God.

In this case, I don't agree that this constitutes a goalpost shift as much as it does a clarification.
quote:

It may be that the case for God is not made up of observations that can only be explained by God, but by the preponderance of observations that can be explained by God.

It is not without good reason that beyond a reasonable doubt and preponderance of evidence are different legal standards in some jurisdictions.

quote:
You have moved the goalposts. First the call is for evidence, now the call is for evidence that can only be explained by God.

My apologies, I should have made it clear that my understanding of evidence almost always includes the adjective objective.
quote:
It may be that the case for God is not made up of observations that can only be explained by God, but by the preponderance of observations that can be explained by God.
In which caseit would seem that God is assumed?
quote:
Thus did we move from a geocentric to a heliocentric model of the sun and planets. At the time the scientific community started the slide over, there were no data the geocentrists couldn't explain with their epicycles and what-not.

It wasn't any one observation that tipped the scales. It was the preponderance of evidence and the beautiful simplicity of the theory. The latter not being terribly "scientific" in the narrow sense, but nevertheless a very widely used criterion in science, and one specially commended by Einstein, if I'm not mistaken.

Once the scales had tipped, observations and checks increased the volume of knowledge and continued to confirm the heliocentric model. Do you think the scales would, or should, tip towards God nowadays?

[ 05. November 2016, 14:24: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

quote:
quote:

In this case, I don't agree that this constitutes a goalpost shift as much as it does a clarification.
That's not at all clear. Some kind of verbiage such as "No, what I meant was..." could help here. Clarifications and goalpost shifting can look identical when you're not in the head of the person speaking. Sometimes it's hard to remember that other people can't see inside your head. (generic "you").

quote:
It is not without good reason that beyond a reasonable doubt and preponderance of evidence are different legal standards in some jurisdictions.
True but not clear on how to apply this to the current conversation.

quote:
quote:

My apologies, I should have made it clear that my understanding of evidence almost always includes the adjective objective.
"Objective" and "can only be explained by God" are not anywhere near the same thing.

quote:
Once the scales had tipped, observations and checks increased the volume of knowledge and continued to confirm the heliocentric model.
But we're not talking about "once the scales had tipped" because clearly they haven't, at least for you and many other people. So we can't apply the expectations of what happened after the acceptance of the heliocentric view to the question of the existence of God. We're at different stages in the process.

quote:
Do you think the scales would, or should, tip towards God nowadays?
What I think hardly matters, but since you ask, it doesn't appear that the state of the conversation between theists and atheists tips either way. What I fear is that atheists will never allow it to tip the other way, as they insist on defining the terms of the discussion in such a way as to prevent it ever tipping against them. Which is clever in the self-protection department, but kind of wimpy in the argumentation department.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course there are.

I have read your response through several times. I have highlighted it, copied and pasted it on to a document and slowed down the reading speed of Synthetic Dave, but would much appreciate a simplified version which would get a commendation from the Plain English Campaign! In the meantime, I’ll have a go at responding.

I fixed that.
quote:

quote:

Neither is amenable to science. And never will be.

That is a rash assertion I think. Why do you think they need God rather than a scientist’s answer: ‘We don’t know all the answers yet, but we will keep on putting forward hypotheses and devising tests to see whether we can come close to a good explanation.’

No it's a scientific statement of fact. It is not possible to investigate any event outside the thermodynamically closed finite universe, despite there certainly being a growing infinite eternity of them.
quote:

quote:

Neither is rational. The dichotomy is. Reality, existence is ineffable. To pretend otherwise is delusional. Half brained.

Pretence is unnecessary.It has been described quite well over the last 150 years and it is, I would say, just about impossible for the understanding of existence etc to revert to a necessity for faith without well-tested evidence. Because we cannot say exactly why the first cells replicated etc several billion years ago does not mean that the reason is 100% ineffable.

What have events inside the finite, closed thermodynamic system in which we exist got to do with anything?
quote:

quote:

A draw?!! This brings us back to the idea that a God is as probable as not, it seems, with which of course I most certainly do not agree.

How?
quote:

quote:

So, if natural stuff isn't sui generis (and there is no REASON why it should be, apart from an infinite loop stating it, it is non-teleological, purposeless, meaningless, in fact there is just a thermodynamically open null) what generates it?

Something (qualitatively) more complex, something with meaning, with purpose. Best case purpose.

I need clarification on this.

50:50
quote:

quote:

Obviously it is not the only guess! People have been guessing ever since the emergence of language I should think.

It's the only guess of any quality.
quote:

However, the alternative, which in your last sentence here seems to be faith in Jesus etc, cannot be ‘explored’ without objectivity.

Correct. That's what I do.
quote:

Make another. Of similar quality.

quote:
Because we cannot say exactly why the first cells replicated etc several billion years ago does not mean that the reason is 100% ineffable.

Aaaand, this is faith in science. The whole "science will one day be able to explain this" is quite simply faith. You may feel you have good reason for this faith, but your reasons are not scientific.

quote:
What have events inside the finite, closed thermodynamic system in which we exist got to do with anything?

[Overused]

quote:
quote:
quote:

That's not at all clear. Some kind of verbiage such as "No, what I meant was..." could help here. Clarifications and goalpost shifting can look identical when you're not in the head of the person speaking. Sometimes it's hard to remember that other people can't see inside your head. (generic "you").
OK, let me rephrase it. When making a case for God existing, there is no practical difference between evidence for his existence and evidence which can only be explained by God's existence.
quote:

quote:
True but not clear on how to apply this to the current conversation.

When people, such as Raptor's Eye, give statements like
quote:
the burden of proof is so much higher.

quote:
When making a case for God existing, there is no practical difference between evidence for his existence and evidence which can only be explained by God's existence.

Why is the existence of God a special case? It's immensely rare for there to be evidence that can only be explained in one specific way. That's why physicists and biologists usually rely on heuristics like Occam's razor.

quote:

1. What you did
2. What the results were
3. What you concluded

Look here in All Saints

quote:
OK, let me rephrase it. When making a case for God existing, there is no practical difference between evidence for his existence and evidence which can only be explained by God's existence.

Thank you for your rephrase. Now let me ask, "Why?"

quote:
quote:
Is he trying to prove something? He says "I believe" not "You should believe."

Thing is God doesn't put a burden on anyone to prove His/Her existence. Take it or leave it, that's the free choice we are given.
The fact that human institutions based on the existence of God have done a fine job of taking away that freedom isn't God's fault.

If an atheist is absolutely determined to resist all possibilities of the "other", meaning anything other than what science tells us to be true, then that is a choice they are free to make.

quote:

That seems like a description of a more-or-less observable process. Fron which one might conclude that God exists as a meme or idea.

The difference between the theists and the atheists is that one group believe that the idea is "true" - corresponds with reality, with how things actually are. And the other group believe that the idea is "false", that God exists only as an idea, as a mental construct.

With other instances of uncertain existence - such as the Loch Ness monster - it is in principle possible that evidence will be found - a specimen captured, or else some form of scan of Loch Ness detailed and comprehensive enough to demonstrate that there is nothing there. The argument is all about what it is reasonable to think pending the acquisition of such evidence.

It's not clear to me that this is a suitable model for God.

I find it hard to conceive of what evidence one way or the other would look like.

And find it possible to conceive of a (? non-objectivist ?) philosophy in which God is both the way things really are and a purely mental phenomenon.

Whether this would be a "win" for the
theists or the atheists is pointless quibbling.

Interesting post, Russ. My thinking has developed roughly like that in the past few years.

I find the objective/subjective split strange now. We live in an experiential reality, and have to deal with that. OK, we can posit objective reality, but in the terms of Kant, the noumenon is unavailable.

So an objective God strikes me as odd, since God is surely in the First Person? Or if you like, God appears now, and here.

I was also thinking of Jung who talks about God in the psyche, well, in the unconscious really.

Alternatively, one can stop worrying about it really, and accept one's own practice and experience as valid.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
quote:

That seems like a description of a more-or-less observable process. Fron which one might conclude that God exists as a meme or idea.

The difference between the theists and the atheists is that one group believe that the idea is "true" - corresponds with reality, with how things actually are. And the other group believe that the idea is "false", that God exists only as an idea, as a mental construct.

With other instances of uncertain existence - such as the Loch Ness monster - it is in principle possible that evidence will be found - a specimen captured, or else some form of scan of Loch Ness detailed and comprehensive enough to demonstrate that there is nothing there. The argument is all about what it is reasonable to think pending the acquisition of such evidence.

It's not clear to me that this is a suitable model for God.

I find it hard to conceive of what evidence one way or the other would look like.

And find it possible to conceive of a (? non-objectivist ?) philosophy in which God is both the way things really are and a purely mental phenomenon.

Whether this would be a "win" for the
theists or the atheists is pointless quibbling.

It is an observable process to some extent only, as God is not only an idea, and cannot be tested.

[ 06. November 2016, 14:59: Message edited by: Raptor Eye ]

I don't understand why Christians get hung up on objectivity, in the sense of an objective God. Surely, God is a who not a what, and a who cannot be objective. Anyhoo.

quote:
I don't understand why Christians get hung up on objectivity, in the sense of an objective God. Surely, God is a who not a what, and a who cannot be objective.

Er... you appear to be using the word 'objective' in two separate senses.
We hope a judge or jury try to be as objective as possible about the defendant; that's a different sense of 'objective' from that in which whether or not the defendant was where they say they were is a matter of objective fact.

In any case, saying a who cannot be objective seems to me one of these statements in which a state of ideal perfection is used as bathwater with which to tip out the good enough to work for baby. Just because one hundred per cent objectivity is not achievable doesn't mean we can't try for close enough. If we don't, we end up with Brexit-Trump-style post-truth public debate.

Also, God is not a who in the same way as other whos are.

quote:
quote:
I don't understand why Christians get hung up on objectivity, in the sense of an objective God. Surely, God is a who not a what, and a who cannot be objective.

Er... you appear to be using the word 'objective' in two separate senses.
We hope a judge or jury try to be as objective as possible about the defendant; that's a different sense of 'objective' from that in which whether or not the defendant was where they say they were is a matter of objective fact.

In any case, saying a who cannot be objective seems to me one of these statements in which a state of ideal perfection is used as bathwater with which to tip out the good enough to work for baby. Just because one hundred per cent objectivity is not achievable doesn't mean we can't try for close enough. If we don't, we end up with Brexit-Trump-style post-truth public debate.

Also, God is not a who in the same way as other whos are.

I can't see where I was using 'objective' in the jury sense. At any rate, I definitely don't mean that.

To say that God is an objective entity seems to create a split straight away, whereas God as 'I am' does not.

I just wonder why Christianity is so committed to objectivity in the second sense, but I suppose once it's abandoned, then relativism could strike, and every religion might be valid. Too much wampum not good for braves.

quote:
Why is the existence of God a special case? It's immensely rare for there to be evidence that can only be explained in one specific way. That's why physicists and biologists usually rely on heuristics like Occam's razor.

Science is based upon observation. When the conclusions derived do not fit, the new or modified conclusions are formulated. Newtonian physics to Einsteinian.
For anything observable, you can cut and paste between different theistic positions and nothing changes. This is not to denigrate religion or belief, but it is in a different category completely from science.
quote:
quote:

Thank you for your rephrase. Now let me ask, "Why?"
Because there is no objective evidence for deity.
quote:

quote:
quote:
Is he trying to prove something? He says "I believe" not "You should believe."
It isn't about him trying to enforce belief.
That statement is one of belief because of objective fact, similar to "I believe the earth rotates around the sun because it does".
Perhaps it is merely the pedant in me, but I do not support objectively stating the subjective.
I respect that he has concluded the existence of a deity from his experience. No problem.
I do not respect the expressing of this as objective fact.

[ 06. November 2016, 15:59: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Pushing the boat out naïvely, in pathetic ignorance and hubris based on 'avin' a goo fer Jesus, I say that there is objective evidence for deity.

Existence. Existence is predicated on either the superphysical, i.e. the physics of unthinking, unthought, thoughtless infinite, eternal open negative entropy, or the supernatural, i.e. the physics of thinking, thought, thoughtful, infinite, eternal open negative entropy.

They're both as bad as each other.

In the former, because of existence itself, driven by a mathematical, a philosophical principle, like elegance, beauty that is real it feels like, every genuine possibility of existence has to have happened an infinite number of times. Which shatters Occam's razor horizontally somewhat. Infinitely.

In the latter, Occam's razor is snapped once, vertically.

Take your pick. Or don't. Until you look at the claims of Jesus.

quote:
Pushing the boat out naïvely, in pathetic ignorance and hubris based on 'avin' a goo fer Jesus, I say that there is objective evidence for deity.

Existence. Existence is predicated on either the superphysical, i.e. the physics of unthinking, unthought, thoughtless infinite, eternal open negative entropy, or the supernatural, i.e. the physics of thinking, thought, thoughtful, infinite, eternal open negative entropy.

They're both as bad as each other.

Rubbish. We may never understand how the universe came to be, but that does not put it into the same realm as magic. Which religion effectively is.

Bollocks.

quote:
To say that God is an objective entity seems to create a split straight away, whereas God as 'I am' does not.

Create a split between what? God as 'I am' seems to me to definitely be either objective or not.

You say, 'God is a who not a what, and a who cannot be objective.'
Well, unless you mean 'objective' in the jury sense I don't think that's grammatical. In any case, it's not clear what you do mean.
If you mean, whether a who is a who or not is not an objective fact, I couldn't disagree more strongly. It is impossible to interact ethically with other people unless we recognise that them being a who is independent of our interests and judgements and point of view, which is one of the things meant by saying that it's an objective fact. When the Daily Mail demonises refugees or benefit seekers it is treating whether or not they are whos as subjective, within the Daily Mail's purview to grant or take away.
Which it is not.

A who can only be objective.

quote:
quote:

Science is based upon observation. When the conclusions derived do not fit, the new or modified conclusions are formulated. Newtonian physics to Einsteinian.
For anything observable, you can cut and paste between different theistic positions and nothing changes. This is not to denigrate religion or belief, but it is in a different category completely from science.

That's neither precisely a restatement of your original point, nor exactly addressing what I said.

Let's take a practical example.

Christianity in most versions holds that everyone commits moral faults from time to time; it's not possible to be morally perfect.

Islam claims that it is possible to be morally perfect and people should try.

Buddhism roughly believes that erroneous action stems from delusional cravings, which can be eliminated but only with practice of the eightfold path.

Now it is true that there's no single observation that can decide between these. Indeed, there's no pattern of observations that can decisively settle the matter once and for all. Nevertheless, patterns of observation will seem to some people to point one way, or another. And even if nothing can be finally settled, it is up for argument.

The difference between the hard sciences and religion looks like it's a complete difference of category if those are the only things you're looking at. Just as if you look at a bird and a crocodile you think that they're completely different organisms. But if you look at dinosaur fossils you realise that the bird and the crocodile are connected by a continuum. Likewise, if you look at the social sciences, and the humanities (history, cultural studies, philosophy) you realise there is a continuum between the hard sciences and theology.

quote:
We may never understand how the universe came to be, but that does not put it into the same realm as magic. Which religion effectively is.

Religion, if we subtract the many abuses heaped on it, is not the same as "magic".
A magician presents the audience with a version of the truth which, when taken at face value, is a deception. I accept proponents of religion may use tools of deception, and a person of faith could even be said to have a form of 'happy deception' but I still don't believe religion = magic.

Who said anything about stage magic?
quote:
mag·ic
ˈmajik/
noun
the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.

quote:
quote:
mag·ic
ˈmajik/
noun
the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.

The Christian religion is not about influencing events by using any forces. God cannot be manipulated. There is no magic involved.

It is about our service to God, aware that God is the source of all that is good - not about God's service to us, although God does serve us too. This is what relationship with God is about.

quote:
quote:
mag·ic
ˈmajik/
noun

Yes and if someone thinks they are using God to influence the course of events, they are, among other things, not acting in accordance with historic Christianity. This is why the "name it and claim it" people are looked down on by real Christians. Because they are treating Christianity as magic. Which it isn't.

But religion is not fact-based theory either.
One sees the world as it is and, for some, the interpretation needs something more.
This is a subjective, I do not se how it can be quantified into a this is type of statement.
But ISTM it is in a similar category to magic in that it operates outside of the rules of the rules.
It is not necessary that the practitioners of a religion manipulate anything, just that some of their rules/beliefs do.
In other words, God = magic for all practical purposes.

[ 06. November 2016, 22:36: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Well if you insist on defining religion as magic, and poo-poo the words of people who actually belong to a religion, there's not much more to be said.

quote:
One sees the world as it is and, for some, the interpretation needs something more.
This is a subjective, I do not se how it can be quantified into a this is type of statement.
But ISTM it is in a similar category to magic in that it operates outside of the rules of the rules.
It is not necessary that the practitioners of a religion manipulate anything, just that some of their rules/beliefs do.

For some values of God, but not for the one who thinks universes. No more than for the unthinking thing that makes universe if He doesn't exist.

quote:
Well if you insist on defining religion as magic, and poo-poo the words of people who actually belong to a religion, there's not much more to be said.

I am not doing what you think I am doing.
All I am saying is that religion is not objective. If you can show me how it is, I am willing to listen.

quote:
quote:

For some values of God, but not for the one who thinks universes. No more than for the unthinking thing that makes universe if He doesn't exist.
I'm not sure what you mean. If you are trying to say that not completely understanding the universe is equal to believing in God, then I disagree.

quote:
quote:

All I am saying is that religion is not objective. If you can show me how it is, I am willing to listen.

So everything that's not objective is magic? This makes sense of those love songs that say oh oh oh it's magic.

quote:
quote:
quote:

So everything that's not objective is magic? This makes sense of those love songs that say oh oh oh it's magic.
I am not saying that. But God, as described by Christians, is extra-natural.
A lot of people I respect are Christian. Since I respect their judgement, I respect that they see/experience things that support their belief. This does not mean it is the same as objective.

I agree that one's personal internal experiences are not objective. Heck, when Paul heard Jesus saying "Why are you persecuting me you prick," the people with him heard thunder or a loud noise. So even personal EXTERNAL experiences are not objective in the sense of shareable.

And yet. And yet.

Neither are the personal experiences that go into making scientific hypotheses and observations. Every person's sense data are their own. But we talk to each other and say, "Did you see the dial go to 83? Yeah, me too." And if enough people have the same experiences, we admit there's "something there" -- something objective, if you will. And it becomes part of the scientific corpus of theory and observation.

In like manner people who have had religious experiences talk to each other and say, "Was it like thus-and-such for you? Yeah, me too." So at what point do we admit there's "something there?"

quote:

In like manner people who have had religious experiences talk to each other and say, "Was it like thus-and-such for you? Yeah, me too." So at what point do we admit there's "something there?"

I'm not sure that we need to. Experience is a bitch, it is filtered through perception, conditioning, expectation, fear, etc.
But I do not claim to have the answers, I just get annoyed with those who do so claim.

Me too. Nobody's doing that here are they. And of course the unthinking thing, that would have to superphysically exist if God didn't, makes all theoretically possible universeS infinitely. Doh.

[ 07. November 2016, 08:59: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

quote:
quote:
quote:
mag·ic
ˈmajik/
noun

The Christian religion is not about influencing events by using any forces. God cannot be manipulated. There is no magic involved.
Prayer doesn't influence events ? Sacraments don't accomplish anything ?

quote:
Prayer doesn't influence events ? Sacraments don't accomplish anything ?

We ask God to influence events, but God is not under our control. When prayers are answered it is by God's grace, not by our manipulation of God's power. As with the sacraments.

The Spirit orthodoxly teaches, testifies, guides, speaks, enlightens, strives, commands, intercedes, calls, comforts, works (with) us ineffably. S/He doesn't find your car keys.

We don't make sacraments, God does. Our partaking of the sacraments, even the priest's hocus pocus, is less analagous to a magician than to a person turning on a spigot above a drinking glass. The water company that keeps pressure in the pipes isn't a power we turn on by magic when we open the faucet. Nor is God's power to turn bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ something we do any more to or for than go through the motions he prescribed. We hold a glass under the faucet and open the tap. That is, we bring bread and wine and pray the prayers. He provides the water, that is the mystical change in the elements.

I hope I've said this enough ways to prevent misunderstandings as to my meaning.

The analogy that has come to me is asking someone for something. Asking someone for something isn't a technique for getting that something. It's not a means to the end of getting what you want. People can view it that way if they're sociopathic or if they're talking in the abstract in thrall to a certain view of economics or human nature. Some people can see other people as just means to their ends and interacting with them as just a techique to get what they want. But if you're not that kind of sociopath then you don't do that. Even if - especially if - you're quite certain that the other person will do what you ask because you ask.
A lot of the ways in which economics and modern philosophy talk about human nature don't recognise the distinction, which is a problem for our public life I think.

That's the difference between prayer and magic. The second is a technique for imposing your will on reality and the first is not.

quote:
The analogy that has come to me is asking someone for something. Asking someone for something isn't a technique for getting that something.

That is exactly what it is. It may not include a guarantee of receiving, but it is a method of getting.
quote:

It's not a means to the end of getting what you want. People can view it that way if they're sociopathic or if they're talking in the abstract in thrall to a certain view of economics or human nature.

No, it is reading the bible. You may assert that it is not the correct translation/intention of the words, but to say the words are not their is wrong.

quote:

Some people can see other people as just means to their ends and interacting with them as just a techique to get what they want. But if you're not that kind of sociopath then you don't do that.

Not how people work at all. If you only think of people as a means to an end, you are a sociopath. But nearly everyone thinks in these terms to some degree.

quote:

That's the difference between prayer and magic. The second is a technique for imposing your will on reality and the first is not.

It is not such a clear line. The main functional divide between magic and "true" religion is belief. Prayer to the divine for a result, whether it is expected or merely hoped, is assigning the control elsewhere. It is still an appeal to the supernatural. Or extra-natural if you prefer.

quote:
<snip> It is still an appeal to the supernatural. Or extra-natural if you prefer.

Magic is not an appeal to the supernatural. Magic is manipulation or command of the supernatural.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

The line between magic and Christian faith is that magic is in its essence an attempt to compel God/the universe/whatever into giving us what we want. Faith asks; magic says "to hell with you, I'm going to MAKE it happen."

Which is why Christianity forbids magic to believers. It's unbelievably rude if you believe in a personal God who pays attention and cares about you. As we say to children, "Don't grab; ask nicely."

That you have to ask is a ritual to manipulate a supernatural force.
IMO, it is semantics to elevate one's own practice above others'. And I have major issues with Christian prayer as it is generally portrayed.
I sense we are merely going to disagree here.So, unless one of you has a dramatically different line of reasoning, I've no interest in continuing this tangent on this thread.

Whether you consider it dramatically different I con't know, but a key word in your post was "force." He isn't a force, he's a person; that's why it's absurd (and rude) to attempt to manipulate him. I doubt we can cojvey to you just how utterly jarring it is to me to hear prayer described as manipulation. I'd as soon call conversation with my husband that.

quote:
quote:
The analogy that has come to me is asking someone for something. Asking someone for something isn't a technique for getting that something.

That is exactly what it is. It may not include a guarantee of receiving, but it is a method of getting.
No. I am sorry, but no. Asking someone for something is not a technique. It just isn't. It's an entirely different stance. Maybe to some people there is only a difference in degree between asking, manipulating, and coercing. But the stance of technique and the stance that treats other people as people are fundamentally different. As different as the I-It / I-Thou stances that get brought up by people on these kinds of thread.
The reliability of receiving is not what makes the difference at all.

Maybe as you say we do all adopt an I-It stance towards other people to a greater or lesser extent some of the time, because we're sinners or unskilful people in the grip of samsara or whatever you prefer. But not all the time if we're at all moral.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I doubt we can convey to you just how utterly jarring it is ... to hear prayer described as manipulation. I'd as soon call conversation with my husband that.

Then again there are some who would say that all interaction with other people is, at root, manipulation. Our conceit of treating one another as subjects and not objects (as I believe Kant put it) is pretence.

quote:
IMO, it is semantics to elevate one's own practice above others'

I am imagining a book that explores the concept that asking is manipulation. Perhaps, Asking as Magic: Incantations to Get Loved Ones to Pass the Salt Every Time.

Pfui! Try something really hard, like
"Spells Guaranteed to Get Your Kids to Put Out the Garbage". Hopefully they won't involve a dozen repetitions.

[ 11. November 2016, 22:54: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

quote:
quote:
IMO, it is semantics to elevate one's own practice above others'

I am imagining a book that explores the concept that asking is manipulation. [/i]
Take manipulating out of it, then. It is still a ritual performed to receive. And that is what a lot of magic is. Look, I am not defending magical rituals, I am just point out that it is less different tan presented.

quote:
No. I am sorry, but no. Asking someone for something is not a technique. It just isn't. It's an entirely different stance.

I did not say asking is the same thing as demanding. The verse is ask and you shall receive. That is what asking is for. Getting. It is that simple. By what definition is it something else?

Asking a question ≠ performing a ritual.

quote:

It does when the question should not have to be asked.

quote:
quote:

I don't understand what you mean.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't understand what you mean.
God, as posited by mainstream Christianity, is all knowing, all powerful and all loving. As such he doesn't need to hear you ask. As such, your suffering, or that of who you ask prayers for, should not need to wait until someone asks.
Prayer, as a request, makes no sense to me in the Christian context. I understand that is not the only way it is used, but it certainly a legitimate way in all the mainstream sects.

quote:
Prayer, as a request, makes no sense to me in the Christian context.

It makes no sense to a lot of Christians too, for the reasons you cite. I think we've had a thread recently asking exactly that: what's prayer for? Why pray when God already knows what you need? Is it just for OUR benefit, i.e. makes us feel better? And so on. These are all very live questions in the church, and people agonize over them (or laugh over a beer over them) all the time.

But not understanding it does not make it magic.

[ 12. November 2016, 01:24: Message edited by: mousethief ]

quote:
quote:

This is a really basic misunderstanding of what prayer is about. Of course God knows what we need already! Jesus himself admitted it--heck, he didn't admit it, he stressed it over against the fools who thought otherwise! And of course he wants to give us what we need, as he also said.

But prayer--even asking in prayer--is hugely different from "them as don't ask, don't get." Take the example of a child with a loving parent. Does the parent know what the kid needs? Yes. Does the parent want to supply that? Yes. Does the parent still want the kid to ask? A lot of the time, yes.

Why? Because asking does several things. First, it reinforces the kid's knowledge of his own needs and inability to fulfill them, which is one way of grounding the kid in reality. There are few things nastier than a kid who treats his parents like shit because he has never for a moment experienced a sense of dependence. He takes them for granted, not in the good sense but in the bad sense. And he demands stuff as his right which is unreasonable even as a gift. If he never learns a sense of reality, you wind up with people like the young man in the affluenza case.

The second thing asking does is to train the kid in the basic human grace of gratitude. If you ask for what you need and see another person respond with care, gratitude is a pretty natural response. I think this is pretty much the only way a person learns that grace.

Third, asking teaches you to be content with what you have. When you ask--whether it be parents, teachers, or God--you become aware that what you want is coming from someone else, freely to you, at a cost to them. You become a bit more careful with your asking, because you begin to realize it is costing someone you care about something. Thus my son has learnt to ask for new Legos or software about once a month rather than every freaking day. He gets a lot more out of what he already possesses, as well.

All of this is part of the civilizing process. And the analogy with us and God is pretty strong. We too learn gratitude by asking. We learn contentment, we learn to appreciate what he gives us, and we even learn to value things more because of what it costs him (here I'm thinking primarily of forgiveness and our re-creation).

The last thing asking does for us is to build a stronger relationship between us and God. We have one strong disadvantage in that relationship as opposed to others, which is that we cannot physically see or hear him. That means it's very easy to forget all about him. The prodding of need is something that sends us back to communicate, much as certain college students away from home only contact their folks when they run out of money! It is not where you want to end up, relationship-wise, but it will do for a very basic beginning, until we mature more.

Getting booted off the computer--husband has asked me to set up his Vietnamese program. Relationship building, heh.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
quote:

This is a really basic misunderstanding of what prayer is about. Of course God knows what we need already! Jesus himself admitted it--heck, he didn't admit it, he stressed it over against the fools who thought otherwise! And of course he wants to give us what we need, as he also said.

But prayer--even asking in prayer--is hugely different from "them as don't ask, don't get." Take the example of a child with a loving parent. Does the parent know what the kid needs? Yes. Does the parent want to supply that? Yes. Does the parent still want the kid to ask? A lot of the time, yes.

Why? Because asking does several things. First, it reinforces the kid's knowledge of his own needs and inability to fulfill them, which is one way of grounding the kid in reality. There are few things nastier than a kid who treats his parents like shit because he has never for a moment experienced a sense of dependence. He takes them for granted, not in the good sense but in the bad sense. And he demands stuff as his right which is unreasonable even as a gift. If he never learns a sense of reality, you wind up with people like the young man in the affluenza case.

The second thing asking does is to train the kid in the basic human grace of gratitude. If you ask for what you need and see another person respond with care, gratitude is a pretty natural response. I think this is pretty much the only way a person learns that grace.

Third, asking teaches you to be content with what you have. When you ask--whether it be parents, teachers, or God--you become aware that what you want is coming from someone else, freely to you, at a cost to them. You become a bit more careful with your asking, because you begin to realize it is costing someone you care about something. Thus my son has learnt to ask for new Legos or software about once a month rather than every freaking day. He gets a lot more out of what he already possesses, as well.

All of this is part of the civilizing process. And the analogy with us and God is pretty strong. We too learn gratitude by asking. We learn contentment, we learn to appreciate what he gives us, and we even learn to value things more because of what it costs him (here I'm thinking primarily of forgiveness and our re-creation).

The last thing asking does for us is to build a stronger relationship between us and God. We have one strong disadvantage in that relationship as opposed to others, which is that we cannot physically see or hear him. That means it's very easy to forget all about him. The prodding of need is something that sends us back to communicate, much as certain college students away from home only contact their folks when they run out of money! It is not where you want to end up, relationship-wise, but it will do for a very basic beginning, until we mature more.

Getting booted off the computer--husband has asked me to set up his Vietnamese program. Relationship building, heh.

[Overused]

quote:
mag·ic
ˈmajik/
noun

If something beyond my understanding - like my car - isn't working as I want, I can try to influence it in three different ways.

One is to treat it as a person - ask it politely, cajole it, threaten to reject it, reason with it to try to get it to see that our interests are aligned, etc

One is to treat it as technology - as an object that could be manipulated if I only knew how, by applying the Ritual of the Jump Leads or other techniques that I count as knowledge even if I lack the understanding of how and if they work.

And the third is to reach deep inside and just will it to work.

Different writers of fantasy have portrayed magic in terms of all three models - as relationship with non-embodied intelligences who may or may not co-operate, as fragmentary knowledge of superior technology, and as personal power.

So yes I see a real difference between the relationship model (where the source of power is a person-like other), the technology model (where power is there for anyone to take it if they know how) and the interior model (where power resides within oneself but the struggle is to release and control it).

But I don't in general see Christians rigorously sticking with the relationship model in the way they talk about religion. How many times have you heard that prayers are answered if you pray the right way ? Or if you call up enough inner resources ? Or that sacraments if performed correctly confer graces ? With no mention of God as a person who chooses to give or to withhold.

Getting a drink of water from the tap is use of technology, not asking and receiving.

quote:
But I don't in general see Christians rigorously sticking with the relationship model in the way they talk about religion.

Okay this is your first problem right here, referring to "Christians" as if we were an undifferentiated blob, a puréed soup rather than a chunky stew. You can hear different Christians saying myriad different things, especially if you define "Christian" as "anybody who claims to be a Christian." It would be very odd if you didn't find differences in what they say about things like God, prayer, the sacraments, the Church, the morality of fair-trade tea.

quote:
How many times have you heard that prayers are answered if you pray the right way ? Or if you call up enough inner resources ?
Innumberable. Just as I have heard people say that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are different aspects of one God (among many other heresies). But Lamb Chopped will join me in condemning all of these things.

quote:
Or that sacraments if performed correctly confer graces ?
I'd agree with that. Because God has promised us this will be the case. That if we set the table, He will come.

quote:
With no mention of God as a person who chooses to give or to withhold.
It seems a bit much to insist that we lay out our entire theology every time we mention something. "Oops, you talked about buying more incense without mentioning that God may or may not find pleasure in the sweet odor ascending." Puh-leeze.

quote:
Getting a drink of water from the tap is use of technology, not asking and receiving.
So that metaphor doesn't work for you. Fine. People here have used others.

You know, all this is why I get pissed off with the people (Christians--others may be excused!) who post crap on FB like "Prayer changes things." Fuck no it doesn't. God changes things (if he likes) when we ask; we change things (if we can) under his will. But prayer in itself is no power. It has no will of its own, it releases no energy of its own, and it has no control over the events that may come in response to it. Those events (if any) are firmly in the control of the one prayed to.

And he may choose to react differently to the identical same prayer as prayed by two different people. Technology doesn't do that. With tech, you flip the switch and you get light*, end of. You don't get sausage. But if God (or one's smart ass mother) chooses to answer a request for more light with "No, you've had enough reading, have some dinner now," you may in fact get a sausage. There's no predicting the response if you look only at the prayer, or even the pray-er. You must look to the one being prayed to.

(Or you don't, if there's a freaking power outage--in which case nobody else who performs the same action will get light either. The rule of "do the same thing, get the same result" still holds true.)

quote:
Magic is not an appeal to the supernatural. Magic is manipulation or command of the supernatural.

So on the one hand there's this big important difference between religion and magic, that religion appeals to a personal mysterious force (like asking an invisible parent) and magic atempts to manipulate mysterious forces (like a mechanism, like switching on a light or turning a tap).

And on the other hand, a whole heap of Christians have a mechanistic atitude to prayer without you disowning then as practicing magic rather than religion. And a whole heap of Christians including you talk of sacraments in terms that are somewhat mechanistic, but that's not important.

Which of your faces are you expecting me to believe ?

One moment religion has nothing to do with magical thinking, and the next expecting Christians to have a common position on how close to magical thinking they get is asking too much ?

For what it's worth, I tend to agree with your principle but think you're not carrying it through. But I could be wrong.

Hey LC. What does He change? When? How? You know you don't have to respond to me, but hey.

I'm happy with Him changing bread and wine into His body and blood for mousethief and our Roman sibs here and graces proceeding from that. I love communion. I was able to make the hymns and the prayers and the other liturgy including the sermon work on Sunday. By a good spokesman for the badly named South Asian Concern. A lovely friend with barely managed depression for many years went for prayer last week. My wife actually went this week, which is unheard of. I was delighted. If my symptoms had come up in the pre-service words of knowledge I'd have felt obliged to even though I know I'm not the only one there with an abnormal prostate and any foolishness declaring literal healing would have had me assuming worse. I'd have confronted that with whoever was praying for me.

And I'm happy to ascribe to the Holy Spirit the orthodox benefits I receive on a daily, constant basis. Furthermore I actually BELIEVE what I'm saying [Smile] Even though the psychology of religion probably explains that. Couldn't care less, yet. Nothing is convincing. As disturbing as the utterly ineffable facts of eternity and infinity which don't need God, in fact make Him unbelievable, along with the perfection, the fullness of reality beyond which I can envisage no meta-reality. No afterlife.

That's scary. But I can leave it alone. It can be the room, but there's a crucifix on the wall.

But should I expect other change?

He changes what he sees best to change.

I suspect you mean "can we hope for a miracle." Certainly. But these are obviously rare and tend to come (in my experience*) not when we want them, but when (I theorize) they serve to advance God's kingdom. Which means that most of the time, we get other changes--subtle changes to circumstances, mental and emotional changes in ourselves or others, and so forth. Which frustrates the hell out of me, but God didn't ask me. [Waterworks]

*Yes, I've seen one and witnessed the aftereffects of another. I say that here because I don't want to hijack this thread with people asking.

[ 14. November 2016, 22:29: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

quote:
quote:

So on the one hand there's this big important difference between religion and magic, that religion appeals to a personal mysterious force (like asking an invisible parent) and magic atempts to manipulate mysterious forces (like a mechanism, like switching on a light or turning a tap).

And on the other hand, a whole heap of Christians have a mechanistic atitude to prayer without you disowning then as practicing magic rather than religion. And a whole heap of Christians including you talk of sacraments in terms that are somewhat mechanistic, but that's not important.

Which of your faces are you expecting me to believe ?

One moment religion has nothing to do with magical thinking, and the next expecting Christians to have a common position on how close to magical thinking they get is asking too much ?

For what it's worth, I tend to agree with your principle but think you're not carrying it through. But I could be wrong.

I'll thank you to never, ever call me two-faced again. Thank you fucking much.

I am confused by your accusations. It seems to me that they are answered by this post. I rather DO disown their opinions, I thought pretty clearly.

quote:
quote:
But I don't in general see Christians rigorously sticking with the relationship model in the way they talk about religion.

Okay this is your first problem right here, referring to "Christians" as if we were an undifferentiated blob, a puréed soup rather than a chunky stew. You can hear different Christians saying myriad different things, especially if you define "Christian" as "anybody who claims to be a Christian." It would be very odd if you didn't find differences in what they say about things like God, prayer, the sacraments, the Church, the morality of fair-trade tea.

quote:
How many times have you heard that prayers are answered if you pray the right way ? Or if you call up enough inner resources ?
Innumberable. Just as I have heard people say that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are different aspects of one God (among many other heresies). But Lamb Chopped will join me in condemning all of these things.

I really think your caricature of my position:

is ridiculous. I never said anything about "how close they are getting to magical thinking." That's your straw man, not my words or my thoughts. And expecting me to live up to your straw man is just not going to get you very far in any debate, let alone this one.

[ 14. November 2016, 23:47: Message edited by: mousethief ]

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

hosting/

Cool it or take it to Hell.

/hosting

Thanks Lamb Chopped. You are most consistent. That's good by the way! For me there can be no miracles beyond the subtle, orthodox, cessationist, normative, deconstructed workings of the Spirit. Which covers a lot of possibilities. I'm not questioning yours or asking. They won't be transferable for me.

On the theme of respecting, embracing the other, difference, I must go further, which overlaps something I said in the mail to which you replied.

Though they're not transferable to me, they may be real. I said that "I'm happy with Him changing bread and wine into His body and blood for mousethief and our Roman sibs here" which is insufficient. If He does, then the Greco-Roman Church is more or solely valid. But I am invincibly ignorant of that in the same way as I am for all claims of miracles beyond the circle of the Son of Man.

I've never been able to articulate that before. And this year, more than any other, I've thought of going to a Roman Catholic church just to get away from char-evo content. I'm invincibly ignorant of that too.

But then I realised I must embrace it. Sigh.

So where did this all end up?

It seems to me that it all hinges on the definition of "God" that you choose to use when analyzing someone's beliefs. While it is quite possible to redefine "God" (or "believing that God exists") in such a broad way that very few would qualify as an atheist, it is also possible to make such a specific definition that most Christians would end up as atheists. Neither approach is particularly helpful.

In practice, being an atheist doesn't imply that one is an "anti-theist", or that one might not have non-theistic religious or semi-religious beliefs, or that one must be particularly militant that others share their beliefs (or lack thereof.)

A Vajrayana Buddhist priest was describing the attributes and characteristics of the various dakinis* when he paused and observed, "But of course, they are all just aspects of your mind." Sometimes it is difficult to know where to draw the line. Besides many Buddhists, Taoists and some Unitarians may be atheists, and likely others. But again, it depends on the specific definition of "God" that you use to determine whether they believe it exists or not (especially because some will use the term "God" to describe different concepts or ideas.)

Personally, I'd assume that "God" would mean some powerful non-physical external entity capable of sentience, though that might not be a complete definition. But it does rule out some of the variations of belief: for example, a Taoist view of a "Path" along which the world flows more smoothly may provide a sense of direction and morality, but without the anthropomorphic aspects of a "God".

So there is a very wide range of beliefs among atheists, and picking any one group as an example of them all would like choosing one Fruitcake Zone candidate as being typical of all Christians.

* Powerful female figures that could be interpreted as goddesses. No link given because many drawings are more anatomically correct (ignoring the number of arms and heads, skin colors, etc.) than may be suitable in some environments.

Yes.

Some days I don't believe that goodness is personal but believe that acting as if He were does more to bring Him into my life than not...

Russ--

I'm that way about free will.

© Ship of Fools 2016