Thread: Vespucciana-- USA 2016 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030579

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

It was suggested that I explain that Amerigo Vespucci is the 15th century cartographer from whom the word "America" comes, and if someone were in a different frame of mind we might be living in Vespucciland today. [Big Grin]

Anyhow, what's new?

[Spelled name wrong! KA]

[ 01. January 2016, 18:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Great title.

The year is new - of course! [Roll Eyes] [Biased]

Well Gee Howdy Shucks, Boogie, thanks for the update! [Yipee]

[Biased]

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

Did anyone see the Northern Lights last night? They were supposed to be visible as far south as Northern California due to a solar storm, but I didn't find out until this morning.

We had clear skies, but with the house behind us setting off full-sized fireworks, and the cold wind, it wouldn't have been the ideal night for watching. But they don't get even as far south as 45 degrees very often.

I did see the moonrise last night-- gorgeous-- and noticed then that, for our area, the sky was crystal clear and the stars unusually visible. But didn't catch the Northern lights. Ah, well.

The last sunset of the year in Pacifica, CA was spectacular, and given the consistancy of beautiful sunsets in Pacifica, that is a statement to be noted. The cloud formation made it look like there was an incoming iceberg on the horizon, all jagged and linear.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Happy new year and new thread to all my chums to the south!

Love the thread title - absolutely inspired! [Overused]

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Hello all, great title for the coming year. Rain rain rain in my neck of the map. Much needed as we are way low on the water table. Now they are speaking of floods, pumps and sandbags before the season is over. Thankfully we are high on a hill. In case I can not get to town I am prepared. I have dog food, water, gin and toilet paper. That should cover it.

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
... I have dog food, water, gin and toilet paper. That should cover it.

Now there's someone who's got their priorities right! [Big Grin]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I agree but don't waste the GIN on the dog!

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

Here in SoCal the first real El Nino storm is supposed to move in Sunday evening, with two more following hard on its heels. I'm kind of excited! Real rain!

And already the year is off to an interesting start...

Oregon doesn't make the news all that often compared to many other states, but now a militia group has taken over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. These appear to be from outside the area, some of whom were involved in a previous standoff with authorities in Nevada. Other reports have said these are part of a Mormon splinter group and the leader is referred to as "Captain Moroni".

An interesting sidelight is the choice of terms used: why are whites occupying a federal building called a "militia", while in other circumstances (especially for non-white participants) they might be called "terrorists"?

(And the best alternative term for such groups: "Y'all-qaeda".)

So far, a lot of restraint, a bit of humor, and no particular rush to do anything. And, of course, "Malheur" means "bad luck" in French...

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:

(And the best alternative term for such groups: "Y'all-qaeda".)

Nice. Very nice.

Posted by Niteowl (# 15841) on :

It has been pouring here in Southern California yesterday and on into the night. Thunder and lightening as we'll. haven't had this much rain in years.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Lots of rain here over the past few days and temperatures at D Towers have not got above 16C. Better forecast though.

It may be a whole week into the new year and this new thread, but every time I see the title, I read a combination of Vespa and Pucci. Probably treasonous to you.

Deleted identical second post for you.

Lothorien AS Host

[ 07. January 2016, 10:39: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

There were very moist-looking pictures of southern California and LA on the Weather Channel here this morning - partially-submerged cars and the whole bit. Not the sort of weather I'd really associate with your part of the world.

Hope you're all safe. [Votive]

It's kinda one of those things where you keep gritting your teeth and muttering, "we need the rain..."

You know what's fun? Reminding a school of 30 preschoolers that " we need the rain" when they are stuck inside for a solid week. [Big Grin]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I know we need it here in Arizona as well, but I'm getting really tired of the torrential downpours that California has sent over to us. A few minutes ago I discovered that I have a roof leak and ceiling damage.
[Mad]

I keep telling myself that the flower seeds I scattered this fall will be enjoying this -- January showers bring March flowers?

California sent? Honey, our mountain ranges are probably thinning it out a little for you.

( Boy am I glad I live on a hill. At least until it slides.)

RE: damage-- one of the kids at the school yesterday was organizing this ferocious dramatic play involving everyone in her " family" ( she was the "mom") going to bed and then being roused by police cars. There was also a lot of jettisoning of clothing and furniture from the "bedroom." When I asked her about it, it turned out cops had come to help out when her lower level HUD apartment had gotten swamped. (This housing development is at the bottom of a valley.)

(Unfortunately in this neighborhood there are too many reasons to panic when the cops come around.)

[ 07. January 2016, 17:55: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

(When I came over to ask what she was playing, she turned her Mom voice on me: "Teacher, you need to shut up, we're sleeping!"

It was an honest mistake, she was trying to directly translate from Spanish. I gently gave her a more appropriate way to phrase her request. [Big Grin] )

I sometimes wish we could sort of tilt the world, so that the water and the drought get a bit more evened out; it seems that no sooner have some places got over the winter floods than they're coping with dust storms and forest fires.

[Votive] for all who have the wrong sort of weather.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I sometimes wish we could sort of tilt the world, so that the water and the drought get a bit more evened out

I had much the same thought last summer when I took the train from San Francisco to Chicago. California was in the middle of a terrible drought, so my trip started out with parched landscapes. When we got to the Midwest, going through Nebraska and Iowa, there was flooded field after flooded field. Sad.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Why can't they build a gigantic network of pipelines between flood-prone and drought-prone sections of the country?

Answer: Because there's no money in moving water -- just oil.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

From Saturday evening until yesterday evening, I had two inches of rain here. Saturday, there was also a tornado near Daughter-Unit's home. Lots of damage, but fortunately no serious injuries. This is not our typical January weather.

As I was traveling a local rural road this morning, it looked more July-ish in the landscape. Fields and forests with standing water everywhere, some quite deep.

POWERBALL!!!! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Anybody else not win it last night? [Big Grin]

I just bought a car today, opting to trade in the Little Dodge Neon that Could. I am now the owner of a Hyundai Accent.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

I thought of you Kelly when I saw how much it was. Better luck next time.

Huia

[Big Grin] I certainly am rich in friends.

Anyway, I figure I would be one of those people who would drop dead of a heart attack once I found out I'd won.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

Dropping dead on the spot might be an improvement on the fate of some of the earlier winners.

I bought a couple of tickets, and had the thought that a lot of local people know me.

Anyway, I didn't win.

Congrats on the car, Kel!

It seems to me that with that kind of money, you could go off and start your own new country.

Health to drive your new car, Kelly! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Anyway, I figure I would be one of those people who would drop dead of a heart attack once I found out I'd won.

Like Ned Devine?

Did not buy a ticket. I could honestly say I would not want to win. It would be to much trouble at this stage of life. Happy getting by on my retirement check. On second thought a full time house keeper would be nice.

In other news, have the rest of you been following the popular ascencion of Miss Edith Childs? Facebook and Twitter is blowing up over her.

I can provide a link later, right now I am on iPad.

Me! I'm joining the rest of the non-winners!! I only bought a ticket because D-U asked me to. I am not lucky.

However, D-U is lucky in the important things. We've had two tornadoes this week, one was close to her home and the one yesterday was very, very close to where she works. They lost power at home and work, but were unharmed.

This is much, much better than winning a lottery, IMHO.

quote:
In other news, have the rest of you been following the popular ascencion of Miss Edith Childs? Facebook and Twitter is blowing up over her.

I can provide a link later, right now I am on iPad.

I'd love to see some, Kelly. I caught one blog essay about this grand old woman's very elegant attire for the State of the Union address. It was hilarious, especially because of the contrast with Kim Davis, who arrived looking like she just got off a fundamentalist Mormon compound in the Nevada desert.

(That's probably a little mean-spirited for AS. Mea culpa.)

Ooh, you should have seen how they flamed that poor women on Awesomely Luvvie's blog. They didn't just do the dozens on her, they did a dozen dozens.

Posted by Barnabas Aus (# 15869) on :

Kelly Alves wrote:
quote:
I just bought a car today, opting to trade in the Little Dodge Neon that Could. I am now the owner of a Hyundai Accent.
Kelly, Mrs BA has owned three Hyundais, being two Elantras and now an Accent, which is currently on loan to our son after his car's engine blew up. I also owned an Elantra LaVita MPV. All of them were great value, and did not miss a beat in thousands of miles of travel.

What colour did you choose? Mrs BA has sunflower yellow, as she says she can then find it in the mall parking lot.

Posted by Dorrie (# 16062) on :

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place--I'm new to this. My mom, Moo, asked me to let her fellow US Ship of Fools friends know that she has been in the hospital but is now out (in a rehabilitation facility) and hopes to make a full recovery. She had pneumonia and severe sepsis that landed her in the hospital; she's now working to regain the strength she lost in her illness so she can get back to her normal routine. I know she would appreciate your prayers, although she won't be online here until she gets home in a few weeks.

Thank you for letting us know! Get better, Moo! [Votive]

Yes indeed - holding you in the Light, Moo.

[Votive]

[Votive] for healing for Moo. [Votive]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

[Votive] Amen! [Votive]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

[Votive] Healing for Moo and comfort for Dorrie and Moo's family and friends.

Welcome, Dorrie! Thank you for letting us know about your mother. Be assured of my prayers for Moo, and for her family as well.

[Votive]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Thank you, Dorrie. Take care, Moo, and recover quickly.

Prayers of a speedy recovery for Moo.

[Votive] For Moo, healing and strength!

Posted by Salicional (# 16461) on :

Here's hoping all the shipmates on the East Coast are managing to stay warm and dry -- looks like quite the doozy of a storm blowing your way today!

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

It is blizzing here hard, the wind blowing the snow around so that it drifts. About 2 feet deep in the front yard. I took the tray from the bird feeder in last night, to keep it from filling up with snow. This morning the birds were tapping on the glass -- where's breakfast, Mom? So I put it out again and they're steadily coming.

Posted by JB (# 1776) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
Here's hoping all the shipmates on the East Coast are managing to stay warm and dry

Agreed

Motherboard and I escaped from Washington on Thursday, after experiencing the Wednesday night flurry that had us driving at 5mph. We have a bet for $5 on 12" - she was believing the forecasts.

While we were there Motherboard set up a mini-meet, contacting four shipmates met on previous visits. Suddenly I notice more DC names; we should have announced the plan and tried for a crowd. Maybe next trip, whenever that is.

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This morning the birds were tapping on the glass -- where's breakfast, Mom? So I put it out again and they're steadily coming.

[Big Grin]

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

Reporting from South Central Pennsylvania, where we're having the Much-Touted Blizzard. Hard to tell whether the snow in the air is new-fall or blown in on the wind. Also hard to tell the depth of snow we officially have; everything is heaped up in drifts, or blown low in between.

It looks like someone has driven up the road, but I doubt this 'back road' has seen a plow yet.

All is well; well, well enough except with my little Jack Russell terrier to whom I am Permanent Adoptive Mother. For him the snow is nasty, and I am wicked for trying to force him out into it. Hey, life is hard sometimes.

Any blizzard stories out there?

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

My employers have closed for the day, which is a small miracle. Enjoying the snow day. Sadly, I do have to go out in it at some point to try and get some supplies. Fortunately I'm walking, not driving.

The buses are shut down, subways are running but with delays.

They are talking of possibly up to 30 inches.

30 inches??? [Eek!]

[Votive] that you all stay safe, and when you're finished with it, don't send it to us! [Two face]

Meanwhile on the West Coast...

I used to live right across the street from that bluff.

I know we haven't heard from Comet in quite a while -- just wondering if anyone other Shipmates are affected by the earthquake in Alaska.
Luckily no major damage or injury has been reported, but they're having aftershocks. [Votive]

quote:

In a place that will soon have a nice view. [Big Grin]

Yeah,but only for about ten years or so...

I've heard from Comet via Facebook that she's OK; she's far enough away from things to be safe, but has been watching it with, um ... interest.

[Votive] for those who are closer to it.

quote:
I've heard from Comet via Facebook that she's OK; she's far enough away from things to be safe, but has been watching it with, um ... interest.

[Votive] for those who are closer to it.

Thanks for letting us know.

quote:

[Eek!] There were people standing and sightseeing in what was left of the building! What were they thinking???

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
[Eek!] There were people standing and sightseeing in what was left of the building! What were they thinking???

Probably about the youtube videos they were busy recording.

I'm also amazed that the article says that "Some homeowners have evacuated their homes as a precaution."

Some?!?
[Eek!]

It's a two block or so stretch of homes-- some are out of the slippage zone, but are still close enough for people to nope out of there.

The buildings themselves, the apartments right along that specific section of the cliff, have been vacant for at least a year. More, I think.Those people you see are either workers trying to assess the damage, or local lookie-loos. (To give you an idea how clueless this faction has been during these last few weeks, the first report of the unusually high tides saw a concurrent rise in people practicing for Maverick's (the big NoCal surf competition in spring. One poor fool got swept into the surf last week.)

By the way, that row of pebbles you see along the bottom of the cliff is the city's idea of a "sea wall." It was put up after the last El Nino, when the same cliff lost several feet. Just to give you an idea what the housing situation is like around here, the "remodeled" apartments in the reddish, southernmost building you see in the video were offered at about $1200/ mo for a one bedroom.

(In writing this, it occurs to me maybe some people were desperate enough to squat in those buildings. [Frown] )

[ 26. January 2016, 03:42: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
quote:

Candidates for a Darwin award?

I was glad to hear from my middle brother in New York city. He and his partner are OK, but their cats are Not Amused.

Huia

We are supposed to get one to three inches of rain tomorrow. Already, this month is the wettest January ever! My place has had over eight and a half inches so far. This is supposed to be the dry season!

Mind you, I'm not complaining. If the wildfires are prevented, I'll be a happy camper! My folks live in an outlying area with lots of trees. It's beautiful, but could be dangerous as you all understand.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

It won't be any consolation but December 2015 was the wettest on record in the UK too. It was also the warmest, which gives a clue about what global warming will mean in the short-medium term.

Yeah, people have been wondering if the big ass waves are the harbingers of the New Global Warming Coastline.

That is one v. scary video.

It makes me wonder though - how close to the cliff-edge were the houses when they were built?

You'd have thought that the planners/architects/whatever might have realised that there was a chance of them being swept away.

Wouldn't you?

[ 27. January 2016, 14:28: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Today, the Ibis Bug Exterminators are eliminating pests in my yard! The birds are just beautiful, and are fun to watch. They vacuum the back, then they go to the front to do their work, and off to the back again. I counted 23 of them. Right now they are between me and the western neighbor, wading in the water standing in the swale (the weatherman was right), and browsing for bugs there.

A couple of years ago, D-U had a flock of ibis in her yard as she was getting ready to leave for work. She tried to get into her car, and they started following her and tried to get into the car with her! Her neighbors stood outside and laughed.

Perhaps it is a pond difference, Judy, but down here the ibis are pests. Enormous, dirty grey or brown pests which sit on the edge of bins in parks to fish out rubbish. They have a raucous call and spend time here fighting the sea gulls for scrap. Disgusting birds.

Houses built on the shore are inherently risky. There are houses built on Fire Island, a barrier island near New York City. The row of beachfront houses used to be 3 rows back, but the front two rows have been devoured by the ocean.

These homes aren't just on the shore - they're at the top of a cliff.

The apartments were built in 1961. Chronicle story.

I just dug up the abstract of an American Society of Civil Engineers report here: http: //ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/40512(289)22 (Can't link it because of the parens, but you'll know what to do.) The report says that the cliff has been retreating 1.5 - 2 feet per year for 146 years. It's crazy to build things there, but of course that never stopped humans before.

Can't find nicer folk than the people who live there, though, despite the stupidity of their city planners. If it does not pain you , spare them a prayer.

Judy, I think ibisis- ibisi-- ibisisisis are pretty, too.

[ 28. January 2016, 04:28: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Just to move this along to broader aspects of Americana-- I just got done watching Woodstock for the umpteenth time. I never took the time to appreciate the Port-o-San worker they interviewed doing his daily rounds. Just think about that for a minute. A Port-o-San worker. At Woodstock. Mad respect.

Don't take the brown acid, and you're welcome for the ear worm.

[ 28. January 2016, 07:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Perhaps it is a pond difference, Judy, but down here the ibis are pests. Enormous, dirty grey or brown pests which sit on the edge of bins in parks to fish out rubbish. They have a raucous call and spend time here fighting the sea gulls for scrap. Disgusting birds.

Kelly and I might have different versions of ibis from you, Lothlorien! My (I guess they belong to me!) adults are white, and the juveniles are brown and white. They eat pests! Our sea gulls can be big pains in the tushie. They will even steal a sandwich right out of your mouth if you don't watch out!

I'm gonna admit the ones I see are at the zoo. They are about two feet tall and are bright pink, due to being fed only shrimp.

We have seen American white ibis in the park in St. Louis.

Ibis crew.
Adults and juveniles doing their thing!

We have Black-Headed Ibis here, beautiful birds!

quote:
I'm gonna admit the ones I see are at the zoo. They are about two feet tall and are bright pink, due to being fed only shrimp.

Is that like flamingos needing to be fed something (?shrimps?) to retain their pink colour?

Huia

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

No ibises (ibes?) in Brazil. Many great egrets though.

Speaking of flamingos...

That's a big pink bird! I think it proves God has a sense of humor! Maybe I'll take a little ride and see if he's there later today.

I was once surrounded by flamingos at Martin Mere just north of Liverpool - they stood about as tall as me and were a bit intimidating - feed them and they're happy.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
No ibises (ibes?) in Brazil. Many great egrets though.

Egrets... I've had a few...

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Groan!

Had a very funny experience today. I went to a gathering in which I was a new member. Looked at one lady and thought my she looks old. She soon said, "Well I guess I am still the oldest member here unless maybe Graven Image who has just joined us might be older. [Eek!] Here am I thinking I am not so old and that no way do I appear to be my age then come to find out we are just a year apart. The more I thought about it the funner it became. First me thinking I don't look old, second the other women drawing attention to my age and requesting I state it to all, ( what in the world made her do that?) and third the funniest of all was me being happy to be a year younger then her. Oh vanity how sharp thy sting. Graven Image leaves to apply extra layer of night cream.

Quotes file, Kelly! [Big Grin]

Graven Image, for you:

(Scene: Kelly at a previous job at an after school care. She is looking over Pokemon cards with a kid who looks like a ten year old version of Chris Rock. He is the last one left.)

Kid: How old are you?
Kel: 33 [at the time]
( enter kid's mom, juggling purse, coat and carkeys. She sets these down and opens her mouth to greet the teachers.)
Kid: (grinning ear to ear) 33? You look like you're NINETY YEARS OLLLDDD.
(Mom gasps in the background. Kelly moves in quickly)

Kelly: THAT'S. 'CAUSE I WORK. WITH YOU.

The mom was apologizing all over herself, but I assured her the insult was worth the opportunity to return that line. [Big Grin]

Well done Kelly. [Overused]

Anyone in authority (parent, teacher, whatever) is always old to a primary-school age child. After I left school, I went into my old primary school to do "observation" before going to college to do a teaching course. On the last day of term I was with a Primary 7 class (12-year-olds) and we were having one of those end-of-term general discussion sort of things. One bright wee spark said "Miss Piglet, how old are you?", and I asked them how old they thought I was (I was 18).

They started at 40 and worked their way down. [Eek!]

Maybe it's just as well I didn't finish the course ...

My very intelligent eldest son was about fifteen when Halleys Comet made its appearance after however many years. My mother was most offended when he asked her if it was better this time around than the one before. [Hot and Hormonal]

Oh, man. [Killing me]

Great come back Kelly. I remember when my mother had her 40th birthday and I was 10 I could not understand how I could have a mother that old. I was worried she might not live long enough to finish raising me. She lived to 93 by the way.

The LA Times -- doing a better job than the local papers (no surprise there!) -- has an article on the Pacifica cliffs. Some good photos and a bit of history.

Oh dear. At the end of a very frazzled day I was stumbling off to bed when my dear, dear son said something snarky. I misheard him, thought he was saying a blessing, and thanked him warmly.

Now feeling guilty, he tried to bless me for real--using the end-of-worship one, "The Lord bless and keep you". And did pretty well until he got to "The Lord lift up his
continence upon you"...

When I burst out laughing, he tried again. This time we got "competence." After we hit "constipation," we gave it up as a bad job.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
The Lord bless and keep you . . . The Lord lift up his continence upon you.

Definitely one for the SOF Quotes File. I should frame it and post it in the dining room at my father's nursing home.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
... I should frame it and post it in the dining room at my father's nursing home.

[Killing me] [Overused] [Killing me]

eta: I've put the whole thing, with Amanda B's response, in the Quotes File - it definitely merits preservation! [Smile]

[ 10. February 2016, 00:54: Message edited by: Piglet ]

On the "I Remember" thread in Heaven, Chamois wrote about the dawn chorus. Before asthma was such a nuisance in my life, I could hear that chorus through the open windows. Unfortunately in order to keep pollen and various other things out of the house, the windows are almost always closed and I miss hearing the birds and honey bees and such things.

This morning, when I took the recycling out to the street, the sun was shining, and the birds were singing. I just stood and basked in the sound of cardinals, robins, boat-tailed grackles, blue-gray gnatcatchers, woodpeckers, bluejays and the occasional squirrel fussing at a neighborhood cat. The gnatcatchers were flitting around my head in the elm tree, and ibises were flying overhead.

A perfect few minutes!

It's lovely to hear the spring and summer birds when it's still winter. Just one or two, not a whole chorus, but still [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] .

Had an embarrassing moment last night at Ash Wednesday service. We had the general confession, and then everyone was supposed to come up for individual absolution and ashes. I wound up kneeling right in the middle of the communion rail lineup, with the two host congregation pastors ashing people to the left and the right. As each came to me, they apparently decided that I was in the other one's territory, so left off ashing and went back to to start their own area all over again!

Once I'd been passed over four times, I gave up and walked down.

Nice job, guys. [Roll Eyes]

At what point is a Lutheran allowed to go "AHEM!"

[ 11. February 2016, 18:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Only if they brought a casserole up to the rail with them?

Invisibility. It's my superpower.

(Seriously, I could have gone AHEM! but was tired and cranky and couldn't be bothered.)

quote:
Invisibility. It's my superpower ...

D. and I had a bit of that in a rather upmarket (and extremely up-itself) restaurant once. A group came in some time after we did, and the staff were all over them like a hot rash, while almost completely ignoring us, prompting me to suggest that we take our Invisibility Cloaks off.

We didn't go back, and were mildly gratified when the restaurant didn't last. [Snigger]

Ah, yes, indeed. When I lived in Los Angeles, I used to dine regularly at a very popular restaurant. I always sat at the counter, and the waiters all recognized me.

One night I ordered my meal plus an iced tea. The waiter brought the meal, but no tea. When I asked about it, he said, "You should have ordered it with the meal; I can't be running back and forth." "I did," I replied, "but you may not have heard me."

In a few minutes, another customer came in and sat at the counter. The waiter took his order and brought it out. "Oh, can I have an iced tea also?" the customer then asked. The waiter brought it without comment.

I left no tip that night and I refused to sit at that waiter's station upon subsequent visits. When another waiter asked me why, I told him.

I have never understood why some waitstaff argue with a polite reminder of a missing or alternate item. First of all, even if the customer was totally wrong, it takes longer to have the argument than to fulfil the request, and second, a substitution request is a notorious mystery diner trick.

This is like a punch in the stomach.

Bev Bos was one of the loudest voices for child-centered preschool programs that the nation ever had. I owe a huge percentage of everything I believe as a teacher to her. May she rise in glory. [Votive]

Ay, i'm sorry. [Frown]

Just finished nightly Bible reading with smart ass son, who is almost ready to board the Ship. I said (of 2 Sam 2) "we'll stop here for tonight and you'll see what happens to Abner tomorrow," to which he replied enthusiastically, "Does he die a horrid death? Everybody in the Bible dies a horrid death! Struck or eaten or killed in battle. Eaten by dogs, stoned, crucified, killed by the presence of the Lord ..."

I'm raising a theological smart ass.

He'll fit right in.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:

Hey, that's my job.

quote:
Ay, i'm sorry. [Frown]

Just finished nightly Bible reading with smart ass son, who is almost ready to board the Ship. I said (of 2 Sam 2) "we'll stop here for tonight and you'll see what happens to Abner tomorrow," to which he replied enthusiastically, "Does he die a horrid death? Everybody in the Bible dies a horrid death! Struck or eaten or killed in battle. Eaten by dogs, stoned, crucified, killed by the presence of the Lord ..."

This is about deaths in Shakespeare plays (they've left out a few), but maybe your s. a. son could make a similar one for Biblical deaths.
[Biased]

He just looked at it and burst out laughing. Now he's making plans...

(He's a Shakespeare fan too)

Posted by Doone (# 18470) on :

Really looking forward to seeing it! [Devil] [Snigger] [Smile]

The news is too often depressing in the US. But read this. And be proud you are an American!

If you have not seen the shot, follow the link in the story to the image of the little boy rubbing Barack Obama's head.

Oh, man. [Tear]

I can think of few politicians who so consistently come over as Jolly Nice People as Mr. and Mrs. Obama - you're right to be proud of them.

[ 21. February 2016, 01:52: Message edited by: Piglet ]

quote:
The news is too often depressing in the US. But read this. And be proud you are an American!

If you have not seen the shot, follow the link in the story to the image of the little boy rubbing Barack Obama's head.

Beautiful!
[Axe murder]

[Axe murder]

Regarding stuff that makes you proud to be American.-- I just rewatched " when the levees broke" last night, and every time Ms. Phyllis Montana - LeBlanc tells Barbara Bush to call her directly and tell her in person how displaced Katrina victims are better off, because " my phone works now," I feel lke standing up and putting my hand over my heart. Now, she's an American to be proud of. [Tear]

I'm sure lots of you will have seen this already, but if ever you need something to make you smile, this lady ought to do the trick.

[Overused]

I knew exactly who that was before I clicked. [Big Grin]

I saw this clip on the news while I was doing the treadmill at the gym. I was beaming like an idiot and blinking back tears.

Thanks for that Kelly & Piglet - sometimes clicking on the links to check they are okay is just so wonderful!

That one was just great!

[ 23. February 2016, 05:42: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Magnificent! [Angel]

Isn't she just amazing? Her picture is under the heading of Joy of Life!

Another joyful person is my friend Florence who will be 97 years old in May. Her daughter had a thing to do last night, so I sat with Florence. Her joy is contagious!

Random thought-- could not decide whether it was a Ship thing or a Facebook thing and ultimately decided it was a Vespucciana thing.

I am currently watching the "John Adams" miniseries. This has to be like the fourth time I have rewatched the entire six hour series in the past year.

John Adams is n interesting character--- by all accounts he was an insufferable, tactless narcissist, but it seems like part of that narcissism was his need to have an impeccable reputation as a man of decency. Even the people who couldn't stand him seemed to respect that.

The opening scene shows Adams responding to a community alarm and stumbling upon the so-called Boston Massacre. Captain Preston of the Royal Army is frantically screaming at his men to hold their fire. Two minutes later, Adams is hauling his cousin Sam back from attempting to strangle Preston. In between the two men's attempts to promote civility, they lock eyes. The sense is that they know each other, if only by reputation, and they exchange this long, despairing look-- holy shit, what now?

So much in that moment explains to me why I keep watching this series-- ISTM that my country is having one of those what-now? moments, on many fronts.

Anyhow, like I said, thought it fit here. Take care, Yankmates.

[ 28. February 2016, 06:54: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

If you are an Adams fan, you have perhaps seen 1776? The musical theater piece.

Long time ago-- as I recall it was kind of awful. But the music is fun [Big Grin]

Update on the Robin Williams Tunnel It's official! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Here's a story about a family in trouble with the neighbors for feeding crows.

I can sympathize with the neighbors, but crows that exchange gifts for food win my sympathy.

I agree, Basso - I thought, what a nice story, until I got to the bit about the lawsuit. [Frown]

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

I'm coming to California next week for work - Santa Clara (Valencia) to be exact.

I've started a separate thread if anyone is local and wants to meet up on my "day off"- sunday 13th

A bit far for me to come, but as three members of my family are travelling OS in the next few days for varying times, it would be good to begoing somewhere too. Oh well, who knows.

Wet Kipper, your Florida Friends will wave as you pass overhead!

quote:

Also Arizona -- you'll know us by that large hole in the ground.
[Biased]

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

quote:

given the likely route , I'm not sure "overhead" is accurate [Biased]

[ 09. March 2016, 14:30: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

It used to be that all transatlantic routes from the UK flew to Gander in Newfoundland and turned left; if that had still been the case I'd have said I'll give you a wave as you fly over us. [Big Grin]

We will peer to the North. Very North!

Maybe we should use D's telescope. [Biased]

Adventures in Vespucciana: The effects pof American Mass media:

OK, some of you know I have recently gotten into those audio Reddit "true Story" performances -- Be.Busta is my favorite. They are scary good fun, but they really get in your head, and after bingeing on them one week, I was beginning to look askance at every shadow in my house. SO I said to myself, "This is nuts. I gotta take a break and read something lighter. I know-- I just bought the Hyperbole and a Half comic strip compendium, and so far it has been hilarious! I'll just crawl into bed and pick up where I left the bookmark."
The book fell open to this godawful story.

Slept with the damn light on. Freaking geese.

Guard-geese were common in the middle ages and I once had a swan advance towards me menacingly when I was out taking photos of it and its cygnets - I maintained eye contact and backed away as quickly as I could. Both are known to go for the eyes!

Once when my daughter was just a toddler and still using a pacifier, a goose tried to pull it right from her mouth and take off with it. The only reason it was unsuccessful was that the pacifier was attached to her coat so it couldn't get it away. I guess we're lucky the goose didn't do more than just pull it out of her mouth, like nip her face or something.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I've heard that an angry swan can break your arm. Careful!

I ran into a guard goose at an old surfer shack at Pedro Point in Pacifica. It approached me and I made cooey animal lover noises. The owner quickly got off the porch and gave me a brief lesson in guard geese. It kept walking toward me with intent, and I hurried by. Luckily that satisfied it.

One of my favorite saints, Hugh of Lincoln, legendarily had a pet swan that followed him, would eat from his hand- and would attack anyone who got too near the saintly bishop.

I have started following a cou0le local history pages oin Facebook, and they have been kicking up some wonderful stuff lately.

I have heard the name Thomas Starr King bandied about in religious circles before, but I really had no idea how important he was to California being a free state during the Civil War era.

History nuts and Ecclesiantics junkies will appreciate.

It must be spring -- the white winged doves are back. They haven't started their obnoxious territorial mating behavior yet -- right now they're just flying about scouting out targets to inundate with their droppings later on.

[Edited to add: OK, I heard one instance this afternoon of the territorial mating call, but the others don't seem to have caught on yet.]

[ 17. March 2016, 20:58: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

I think the ravens on the block were trying to start nests last week, but the violent wind storm knocked things askew. They were stomping all over the roof right above my bedroom and cawing back and forth to each other, clearly in distress. You know what four or five full grown ravens marching around on the roof above your head sounds like? Kind of like the Rockettes having a show.

Speaking of which-- it's probably time to check out the Wellesley crow cam...

quote:

I have heard the name Thomas Starr King bandied about in religious circles before, but I really had no idea how important he was to California being a free state during the Civil War era.

Aside from a couple of cemeteries (most of the others were moved out of town), there are only a couple of graves in San Francisco proper. One of them is Starr King's -- it's outside the Unitarian church on Franklin Street. I try to say a little 'thank you' whenever I pass it.

Starr King was one of the initial two Californians selected for inclusion in the National Statuary Hall in the Capitol in Washington. A few years ago he was replaced there by a former President (let the reader understand) from California.

Ick.

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
... A few years ago he was replaced there by a former President (let the reader understand) from California.

Let me guess - President during the 1980s, used to be an actor? [Devil]

In Washington DC our local airport was renamed, by Congressional fiat, after the same pol. The local populace was not consulted. Everyone born here stubbornly refers to it as National Airport, except for a rump group which is agitating to name it RBG airport, after the Notorious RBG.

Wow, that is admirable tenacity on the part of DC residents. [Overused]

All three names are on the signage: "Ronald Reagan National Airport" -- and so we are on solid ground. We also annoy newcomers by blinking when they ask for Reagan Airport. "Oh, you mean National!"

Things change so quickly here! It's been in the 80's for a few weeks, and the AC has been purring along. So, here comes a real cold front, and it's still only 55 degrees out at almost 10AM! Brrr!

55°? I'd be breaking out the sandals and cropped trousers!

Well, almost ... [Big Grin]

We went to Iceland one August. It was about 55 degrees and blowing hard -- windy enough that you could lean on the wind and not fall over. I seriously considered buying heavy Icelandic sweaters, hats and mitts -- the stores very kindly had tons of them on offer, just for feeble tourists like us. The natives were wearing shorts and tank tops.

I finally took the blanket off the bed this weekend and have been sleeping with the windows open the past three nights.

The white winged doves have begun their territorial behavior. Two of them decided to take up house on my porch ceiling fan -- fortunately they're easily discouraged by my turning it on.

I had to get out the plastic owl and hang it on the porch. That scares the doves away until they get used to it -- then they just use it as a perch. It helps to suspend it, though, from a wire. When it moves in the wind, it keeps them frightened for a longer time.

quote:
We went to Iceland one August ...

We celebrated our respective 40th birthdays with trips to Iceland. D's is in December and mine in February ... [Big Grin]

It was certainly cold and windy, but we absolutely loved it. There can be few feelings to compare with swimming in the Blue Lagoon with hailstones coming down on your head. [Smile]

quote:
I finally took the blanket off the bed this weekend and have been sleeping with the windows open the past three nights.

The white winged doves have begun their territorial behavior. Two of them decided to take up house on my porch ceiling fan -- fortunately they're easily discouraged by my turning it on.

I had to get out the plastic owl and hang it on the porch. That scares the doves away until they get used to it -- then they just use it as a perch. It helps to suspend it, though, from a wire. When it moves in the wind, it keeps them frightened for a longer time.

Try suspending the owl from the fan!? Put it on its lowest setting and it could look really menacing.

[eta: or move it every day or so to a different location on the porch.]

[ 22. March 2016, 01:50: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
move [the owl] every day or so to a different location on the porch.

Tried that -- it didn't work. Suspending it from the fan would throw the fan off balance. I'd like to find a battery-operated owl that would flap its wings and hoot periodically.

Here is a solar powered one from Amazon, not cheap but...

Reviews are decidedly mixed, as for the hawks, coyotes and other deterrents.

Actually I sort of enjoy watching the doves. They're very aggressive toward other doves invading their territory, to the point where they'll beat the invader with their wings and then chase it as it flies away. Their mating is also, erm, entertaining.

What I don't like is that they're very dirty -- they poop more than a pig on milk of magnesia. And they're noisy. They have two basic calls: a mating call and a territorial call -- I don't know which is which. But both of them are long, drawn-out affairs. One of them sounds like the dove is saying, "Who cooks for you?" The other one sounds like, "They say that Daddy's here, Daddy's here, Daddy!" Interesting when there's only one or two of them, but get a couple hundred of them nesting in a grove of trees and you can imagine the din.

This morning it was 48!!! [Eek!]
Looking at the Ship wrapped in my blanket. It's about time for a mug of hot coffee, I think!

A number of years ago, I went to Alaska in the end of June, beginning of July. The last day, I finally was warm enough to just wear a long sleeved shirt without my jacket. As we walked through town, citizens were lounging in shorts and t-shirts. I'm definitely a Florida girl. A weenie about the cold, in other words.

Reminds me of college days on the north California coast. If the sun was out it was shorts and tank shirts. The temperature didn't manner. What mattered was that there was sun.

quote:
... they poop more than a pig on milk of magnesia ...

AHEM. [Devil]

Much as I like owls, that one in Wodders' link is a bit scary-looking - I don't think I'd try mixing it with him if I were a dove. [Eek!]

quote:
Much as I like owls...

[Big Grin]

I have seen down here cats of various sizes on stands which could be moved around the area affected. They are usually black with a violent green glass eye and a malevolent expression.

I was about to buy one when my son arrived home with a large representation of a frilled neck lizard, painted in garish colours. The pigeons on my balcony decided to roost elsewhere. They can't have known such lizards eat snails, insects etc and are a good thing for a garden.

Lizard needs a repaint now, but pigeons are still wary of it.

quote:
They can't have known such lizards eat snails, insects etc and are a good thing for a garden. Lizard needs a repaint now, but pigeons are still wary of it.

In Arizona we have enough live lizards about to make fake ones redundant. I don't think the birds are afraid of them, though.

Frill necked lizards look innocuous, like pretty well any other lizard, until they are aroused. They swell up and a huge frill around the neck stands out straight. It could be a totally different type of lizard then.

frilled neck lizard

A couple of shipmates here may well have them in their gardens.

[ 23. March 2016, 20:54: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Every time I see the post about white winged doves I hear the Stevie Knicks song "Edge of Seventeen":

quote:
Just like the white winged dove
Sings a song
Sounds like she's singing
Ooh ooh ooh
Sings a song
Oh baby oh said oh

Arizona lizards are mostly these and these -- you can't tell from the pictures how small they are, but we birds think of them as hors d'oeuvres.

They are, however, helpful at ridding our yards of mosquitoes and other small pests.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Arizona lizards . . . are, however, helpful at ridding our yards of mosquitoes and other small pests.

And my storage room, where they have set up veritable house.

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Every time I see the post about white winged doves I hear the Stevie Knicks song "Edge of Seventeen":

quote:
Sings a song
Ooh ooh ooh
Sings a song
Oh baby oh said oh

You too?

I am being very bad today. My puppy is barking her freaking head off anyway, so I've decided to take advantage of it and I've set up a mirror where she can see her own reflection. I hope to get her so tired out barking at the darn thing that the next time she sees a reflection in a window or whatever, she just says "whatever" and shuts up.

My former dog originally barked at herself in the mirror, but later got used to it. My current dog doesn't see anything in mirrors. She's also oblivious to television. Apparently there are two different types of dog eyes, and I've had one dog of each type.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
quote:
move [the owl] every day or so to a different location on the porch.

Tried that -- it didn't work. Suspending it from the fan would throw the fan off balance. I'd like to find a battery-operated owl that would flap its wings and hoot periodically.
I persuaded the robins not to nest over my garage door by suspending an old CD from the eaves. It flaps and flashes in the slightest breeze and has worked for years. I don't mind the friendly robins, but there were obvious hazards, and it could be dangerous when the fledglings were taking flying lessons.

I had a kitten, Shadow Nose, and every time she'd walk on the bed at night, she would silently leap straight up every time she saw her dim reflection in the mirrored headboard. Once she landed right on my face.

Today, I went with four friends to Bok Tower Gardens. This is something I've wanted to do since I moved to Florida almost 41 years ago!

The carillon alone is worth the trip. Props to the carillonneur who can play the keyboard in such an amazing way!

The gardens were full of flowers; azaleas and camellias were still in bloom. There are such a variety of plants, and I learned that lupine grows there! I had no idea we could see those (very rare) flowers here!

All in all, this is a day trip I should have indulged in a long time ago.

Did you tell him/her you were an organist, and did he/she let you have a go? [Smile]

There's a carillon at the Roman Catholic cathedral in Armagh in Northern Ireland, and when D. went there the cathedral organist (a very eccentric Belgian baron) insisted that D. have a go. Unfortunately, he also insisted that the tune to be played would be The Sash My Father Wore - the Orangemen's song - not the most appropriate thing to have blasting out over the countryside from an RC church in those parts ... [Eek!]

[ 30. March 2016, 14:37: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Oy. My grandma remembered to Orange Man contingent in Park City, Utah where she grew up, in the 1910's-20's.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

If you want a carillon, you need to go to Mechelen in Belgium where some of the -inElmets are from. They have the oldest international carillon school, near St Rombouts Cathedral, and despite their proximity to the Netherlands, they're unlikely to be teaching Orange anthems.

I was on my way to the spot where folks can greet the carillonneur, but it started to rain, so my group headed for shelter pronto. I would not have been allowed into the tower, as it is closed to the public. However, there is an older keyboard from the carillon in the museum attached to the welcome center, and there is one bell attached that guests can ring! So, I did get to try it!

The keyboard is very different from an organ console. Instead of keys, there are rods that one depresses. The pedalboard did not begin with C as most organ consoles do. The bottom key was a G! I know that would be confusing for my feet, as I once played a little pipe organ where the lowest pedal key was an F. Yup. A bit disorienting!!

ArachnidinElmet, the carillonneur (Geert D'hollander) studied at the Royal Carillon School in Mechelen, Belgium! His other music studies were at the Royal Conservatory in Antwerp, Belgium.

quote:
ArachnidinElmet, the carillonneur (Geert D'hollander) studied at the Royal Carillon School in Mechelen, Belgium! His other music studies were at the Royal Conservatory in Antwerp, Belgium.

[Big Grin] It's a small world.

Look who's back!

Okay, joke's on me, but somebody besides me ought to enjoy the wonderful blandness of this error message:

quote:
Dreamweaver does not allow you to insert a Menu Bar within another list. Please insert it in another location.

Was that from the link?

Anyway, if for some reason your browser is blocking it, the above is now showing one of the Wellesley ravens hunkered in firmly on this year's nest. Hatch date is sometime after Wednesday.

LambChopped: :snort:

Kelly, the Mama Raven is beautiful (and currently snoozing), but I'm confused as to the location of the nest. The article says (I think) that it's on the outside of the building but it looks to me like it's inside the lab. Do you know from last year how they do this? Curious.

It's a stairwell. They took down the outside camera. The stairs to the second level have a bend in them and it creates this little nook, and apparently three years ago this pair just took it over and made a nest in it. They close that staircase off during nesting season.

Love the raven! When we did The Tourist Bit at the Tower of London several years ago, among all the impressive bits (Beefeaters, Crown Jewels, execution-blocks and whatnot) what we liked the most was the ravens*, and how tame they were.

[Smile]

* There's a legend that if the ravens ever leave the Tower the British monarchy will fall, so they always keep half-a-dozen there with clipped wings.

Every once in a while I catch her getting up to shift the eggs around, then waggling back down to cover them. One day she jumped up from the nest and seemed to squawk. (Sound was off.) I wonder, do pre-hatched eggs "kick"?

In any case, she just poked one of the eggs with her beak for a moment, then sat back down.

I wonder if maybe the eggs move as the chicks get big and are getting ready to peck their way out.

They hatched!!

The mother was doing a little back-and-forth dance just now as she settled on the hatchlings--I imagine she was getting them nicely engulfed in her breast feathers.

Hee, I just saw the Mom and Dad changing of the guard.

BTW, they did not take down the hall view camera, they just moved the link. If you look along the bottom of the livestream feed, you have an option of camera A and camera B

[ 14. April 2016, 20:17: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

Hi USA Folks. I haven't been on the ship lately so I might be rusty. But to join the conversation, I am hiking regularly at The Shoreline At Mountain View (California) hiking area. It's a sort of open space/park.

Egrets are my favorite (they are in the picture link I posted). I go hiking with The Gent who usually is a few paces ahead of me, so he'll point out egrets and geese...whatever animal. It's a fairly easy trail, only challenging to me if I hike down to the embankment area.

The weather in the South Bay has been warming up. We are getting some rain so this changes some areas that are a not kept up by the park (down by the embankment, private land there). Grass and wild plants grow more and it's a more challenging walk for a half hour...

Hey, I heard that snoring!

I hope you all are doing well. Amanda never fails to disappoint, love reading her stories. I'd kick that that server b*tch for you anytime, if I were around.

Good to hear from you, duchess. Blue herons are my usual faves. Pretty close to yours.

Hi duchess! Welcome back.

We get loads of Little Egrets and Cattle Egrets here - and we also get the occasional Blue Heron - but whether it is same as the one you get over there I don't know.

We have Great Blue Herons in the park behind my house. This time of year I'm seeing young ones -- they don't look so very "great" yet. We also have an occasional Green Heron -- as well as egrets and all sorts of ducks.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

A student came today and mowed my lawn, using my lawnmower.

I am still too weak after my illness to do it.

There is a group of Tech students who raise money for the Cancer Society by doing yard work for people, rather than engaging in the Relay for Life. They don't charge anything for the work they do, but accept checks made out to the Cancer Society.

I think that's a much better idea than simply getting people to sponsor you for running. I was also very glad to have my lawn mowed.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
There is a group of Tech students who raise money for the Cancer Society by doing yard work for people, rather than engaging in the Relay for Life. They don't charge anything for the work they do, but accept checks made out to the Cancer Society.

I think that's a much better idea than simply getting people to sponsor you for running. I was also very glad to have my lawn mowed.

Moo

[Overused]

I've never understood why I should pay someone to run, when they could be doing something constructive to raise funds. Good for them -- I wish we had something like that around here.

Moo, when I had pneumonia back in 2009, it took a long time to recover. Take your time and accept all help offered. I had a month off work and discovered that my usual fifteen minute walk to or from station was taking me 27 minutes when I went back to catching train. Three months later i realised I was just about back to normal time. Not a hard walk, mostly fairly level.

Unfortunately, in addition to pneumonia I also had severe sepsis.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Good to hear from you, duchess. Blue herons are my usual faves. Pretty close to yours.

We see those at Shoreline too. Beautiful.

There was one under the bridge as you first walk from the parking lot to the trail. It didn't move for so long, it looked fake. Then it was gone when we got back at the end of the day from walking the trail.

A egret actually flew over to a few exists north of Shoreline on Hwy 101. I looked out the window and saw it standing there. I felt scared for it but also it was kind of magical.

The first t-storm of the season has just passed through. I love thunderstorms! It was our first truly warm day, in the upper 70s. I walked on the beach in my sandals and stuck my toes in Lake Michigan for a nanosecond (it won't be tolerably warm until July). The storm brought a cold front and now we're back to the 50s for another week. Still, a glimpse of good days to come!

Thunderstorms are quite a rarity round these parts, but I love watching them from the safety of indoors, and the way they clear the air a bit if it's been muggy.

I love watching thunderstorms coming. When I was a teenager at summer camp, we used to race the rain. We would choose a point, and when the rain reached that point, we would start running. If we reached another designated point before the rain caught up with us, we "won". We got soaked to the skin in any case, but it was fun.

This game works much better in the mountains.

Moo

We have real gullywashers here in the summer. My kids used to go outside and dance in it. I have a photo, somewhere, of my son, stark naked and dancing in the driveway. (I will keep it, in case he is ever nominated to high national office.)

I'm waiting for the First Serious Storm and I'll be up there on the roof stark naked - provided it is dark, of course. No wish to frighten the horses.

Summers are too hot and too humid here. But, the thunderstorms are awesome! (Best enjoyed in a protected spot...you won't catch me naked or clothed outside in one!)

When my kitties were still with me, they enjoyed sitting on the south windowsill during storms. Sometimes, all three of us would spend a half hour or so just watching the lightening and the rain.

Our dog was terrified of thunderstorms. The only way she felt safe was if the whole family was together on one bed.

Moo

Yeah, dogs tend to hate thunderstorms. Cats are often "meh". [Snore]

Fortunately, our dog is "meh." We get way too many thunderstorms and fireworks around here.

In other unrelated news (heh) I dislocated my wrist last night and now I ca n ttt ype.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Yeah, dogs tend to hate thunderstorms. Cats are often "meh". [Snore]

My cats might be more "meh" about thunderstorms if I were that way, but they're so infrequent here that I about jump out of my skin at the first clap of thunder, which makes the cats freak out.

quote:
Fortunately, our dog is "meh." We get way too many thunderstorms and fireworks around here.

In other unrelated news (heh) I dislocated my wrist last night and now I ca n ttt ype.

Dislocated wrist is no fun, even when put back can/will still hurt quite a while.

Mr Lamb just messed up his right wrist, so now we're a matching pair! Dominant hands both.

At least the dog still has all four paws.

Just think LC, in a few more years your son could be posting on the ageing parents thread in Hell!

[ 29. April 2016, 13:09: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Poor LC and Mr. C. - you are having a time of it. [Frown] [Votive]

We're doing all right--just cussing my way through as usual. [Biased]

Took son out to go visit the bird rescue and conservation place--lots of lovely eagles, mostly bald ones, like the one that was trying to eat our koi out of the pond a few months back. One of the staff is trying to recruit him to do his Eagle Scout project down there. A pity he isn't much into building, though he might run up a database or solar lighting for them if they have a need.

I am thrilled to announce that we are having a perfect morning! May is usually pretty hot, preparing our fair state for monsoons and oven-like heat. We have been gifted with a delightfully cool, dry morning! It's 66 out right now.

The morning is so lovely, I had to share with y'all! You will get my complaints about the heat and humidity before too many weeks. [Big Grin]

Yes, it's not bad here either! A shock, since spring in St. Louis usually lasts for 2 weeks. [Big Grin]

The puppy tangled with our groundhog today. No harm done to either party, but she is absolutely delighted with herself and snuggling up to let me know how awesome she is.

I had a rough day. I was in a foul mood. So I called the Gent and hung up the phone not knowing what to say. He called me back wondering why I called, then had me vent till I felt better. After I hung up, I felt like a rainbow came out and some harp song started playing.
[Axe murder]

I am very lucky that I have him in my life. Those of you who have follow any of my sagas about that part of my life will appreciate that as I certainly made enough threads in here. Heheh.

He typed on my facebook his thoughts on the coming election but still doesn't want to make his own facebook. I never thought I'd say this but luddites are great. No text messages. Just nice long emails and calls in between dates. And being able to interpret what RooK called "the duchesszone" which I think really is true. He said that in hell years and years ago, but I never could get mad at him for that. It made me laugh and I even had a duchesszone blog for awhile. [Big Grin]

I am feeling very grateful at the moment and I think the rest of my week will have to be uphill from here. [Smile]

Yay, duchess! I'm glad you are back to give us such good news. [Smile]

Thanks Lyda Rose. [Smile]

I remember RooK's comment [Biased]

The Gent sounds like a keeper duchess.

Huia

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... The Gent sounds like a keeper ...

I was thinking just that - look after him! [Smile]

Happy for you Duchess. [Smile]

Bruce Springsteen is doing a concert in Washington DC in September. The tickets went on sale at 10 a.m. today. At 1 pm I went to see if they were sold out. And they were not. Clearly a sign from above, right? I bought two, and if you want some you should go over and buy as well.

Moved up from walker to cane. So if I am going to have to use a cane I decided to go all the way. I have an adjustable bright purple folding cane with three prong does not tip over foot and padded handle. To this I added purple ribbons with hand painted flower beads and a blue evil eye bead I got when in Turkey. Who knows I just might start collecting them in colors to match all my outfits. Saw a carved wooden one with the head of a snake that sort of struck my fancy. So much cheaper then buying cars and nearly as many choices.

quote:
Bruce Springsteen is doing a concert in Washington DC in September. The tickets went on sale at 10 a.m. today. At 1 pm I went to see if they were sold out. And they were not.

Crikey - is he losing his touch? [Big Grin]

Did anyone else in the Great Lakes region get the white flakes from the sky this morning? First time I can remember that it's snowed on Pentecost.

Posted by Hilda of Whitby (# 7341) on :

Yep. DH and I were out walking this afternoon and there were some snowflakes here (Buffalo NY).

We had a cold front that dropped about a half inch of quarter-sized hail. Yesterday Motherboard planted the garden.

I had turned the thermostat down on the assumption that the heating season was over. Yesterday evening I turned it back up again.

Moo

We went to a college graduation yesterday. It was held in a football stadium and lordy! It was cold, with spatters if hard rain. They handed out plastic ponchos, and the school bookstore sold right out of blankets and gloves. I saw one man, clearly a long-suffering father. He bought two college swetshirts. In the hallway he snippeed off the price tags, and shucked his jacket. Then he put both new sweatshirts on, one right over the other, and topped them all withh his jacket again. Then on, out into the storm!

Well. Hurricane season seems to be starting with a bang. I was out of town for a week, and found out we were already to the B storm!!

Now it looks like a possibility of a tropical *something* heading our way Monday and Tuesday. I'll be grateful for the rain! My yard is crunchy, and it's been raining all around me, but nothing for my poor little plants since Monday. (Whine!!!)

Here in Phoenix, thermometer is expected to hit 113 F (45 C) this weekend. Memorial Day always marks the start of 100-plus temperatures here; they will last till Columbus Day. Windows shut and locked; A/C permanently on.

Even the Pacific Northwest may see triple digits this weekend, after a couple days this week that didn't get out of the 60's. And back down to the high 60's / low 70's next week.

Saturday morning I get to go play in the sprinklers: to get them adjusted so everything in the garden gets watered. Then we'll retreat into the air conditioning for the duration.

I noticed some alarmingly high temperatures down your way on the BBC World weather slot, and felt almost relieved that we're still struggling to get into double digits (albeit Celsius ones).

JJ, you will keep your hurricanes to yourself, won't you? [Big Grin]

I was thinking how hot 85 today sounds until I saw Amanda B's post. 113!!! I wouldn't move from my A/C place either! That would burn your hands on your steering wheel, melt your flip flops.

I will try to get out to Shoreline trail with the Gent and get a ton of walking in.

We walked 1 hour inside Valley Fair Mall last Saturday. We stopped as I needed a drink and the water fountains are all non-working! So next time we try the mall for walking, we bring water.

The next day we went walking 6 hours at Shoreline. They have a section we get to we call the bathrooms...it's near Palo Alto. There starts the pubic fountains that have even a spigot thingy for filling up your water bottle with nice cold water and even a doggy fountain for dogs! We love that area and often go down to the East Palo Alto Airport to watch the planes up close.

He circumnavigates me (going back and forth to me, to keep an eye on me and also get more of a work out) so by the time we are down with 6 or 7 hours, we are very hungry and chow down usually at a Japanese place or a Mongolian bbq place.

It is the little pleasures in life that make me happy. [Smile]

edited out typos. argh.

[ 04. June 2016, 17:13: Message edited by: duchess ]

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
I was thinking how hot 85 today sounds until I saw Amanda B's post. 113!!! I wouldn't move from my A/C place either! That would burn your hands on your steering wheel, melt your flip flops.

It got to 115 today!

quote:
JJ, you will keep your hurricanes to yourself, won't you? [Big Grin]

I will do my best to aim them out to the middle of the Atlantic, there to sit and spin themselves into harmless oblivion! [Big Grin]

Miss Amanda, that's way too hot for me. Yesterday, I was sitting in a pool that was probably almost 90 degrees, which was cooler than the air. As I get older, I am turning more and more into a weenie about the heat.

Here we are generally between 25 & 35 Celsius, about perfect!

The only good result of the pneumonia I had months ago is that it reset my body thermostat. I am now comfortable at temperatures about 5°F higher than I used to be.

I am hoping this situation lasts throughout the summer.

Moo

I am extremely crabby (big surprise, right?) to be having nearly nonstop hot flashes while simultaneously living in the Midwest summer. I mean, really? I couldn't have them during the winter when they'd be useful?

They are never useful. In winter they simply get you chilled when you toss the covers back or unbutton the sweater.

quote:
They are never useful.

At my previous place of work the three women who all hit the menopause at the same time called them 'power surges' and joked about running the lights off them.

Someone should definitely look into hot flushes as a means of powering the electricity grid. It's a renewable resource after all. [Biased]

I'm absolutely dreading the thought of hot flushes; I'm way too hot for three or four months of the year as it is.

And we're moving somewhere where the summers are even hotter* than they are here ... [Eek!]

* not, I think, in the 115°F range, thanks be to God!

I live in one of the hottest spots on earth (central Arizona*), but I've been VERY lucky! In the past ten years, I've had just one hot flash -- and it was in a December.

* in the 115°F range.

Had a scare last night -- while I was cooking dinner the lights flickered on and off several times, at about a minute interval. I wrote it off to the fact that I had the A/C, washing machine, TV and microwave all going at the same time. (I previously couldn't run the microwave and TV simultaneously without tripping the circuit breaker, but I had an electrician look into it and it's OK now.) Oh no, I thought, please God don't let the electricity go out with the temperature outside being 115 degrees!

This morning on the news, I saw that there had been a transformer fire and several areas near me had been without electricity for an extended period.

God was with me.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe [Votive] Praise God.

I believe we have started rainy season with a bang. Since Saturday I've had 9.15 inches of rain at my house. That doesn't even include the rain from this morning!!! Lots of lightening and thunder today!

I think we can give the British thread a run for its money talking about weather. [Biased]

quote:
I believe we have started rainy season with a bang. Since Saturday I've had 9.15 inches of rain at my house.

Well, with a slosh, anyway.

quote:
I believe we have started rainy season with a bang. Since Saturday I've had 9.15 inches of rain at my house. That doesn't even include the rain from this morning!!! Lots of lightening and thunder today!

I heard on the weather about a hurricane crossing Florida. How near you was that?

Moo

quote:
... I think we can give the British thread a run for its money talking about weather. [Biased]

The thing is, when you get weather down your way, you get such a lot of it ...

As I said before, don't be sending it our way! [Big Grin]

Moo, it was only a tropical storm (Colin), but we were on the wet and windy side of it. As I understand it, nobody was hurt or killed by the storm!
Colin made landfall in the Big Bend area somewhere near Appalachicola. There was a huge plume of torrential rain trailing it to the south and west, so the Gulf coast got quite a soaking.

Piglet, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. You don't want ten+ inches of rain in six days? [Big Grin]

Rain was predicted here in the Phoenix area today. Sure enough, around 5:00 p.m. I heard a strange sound. About six drops fell, which quickly evaporated from the hot sidewalk and driveway. Other than scattered showers one day in April, this is the first rain we've had since January -- which was also dryer than usual. Those of you with flooding are invited to send some of your excess our way.

[Help]

Pigwidgeon, I believe the cow I saw standing in a pasture by the side of the road would appreciate that. The water was up to her belly. [Frown]

When the sun finally came out, and those lovely sunbeams hit the soggy land, we received the blessing [Roll Eyes] of very high humidity. The air is so thick, I can hardly breathe when I go outside.

quote:
Rain was predicted here in the Phoenix area today. . . . About six drops fell.

Maybe over your way. Here in the West Valley we got nothing, although it did cloud over around suppertime. I hear that north of us they had much more.

quote:
quote:
Rain was predicted here in the Phoenix area today. . . . About six drops fell.

Maybe over your way. Here in the West Valley we got nothing, although it did cloud over around suppertime. I hear that north of us they had much more.
If you blinked you would have missed it. I only noticed because I was sitting next to a window. It was such a slight rain, however, that I'm sure most of the Valley had nothing.

quote:
... Piglet, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. You don't want ten+ inches of rain in six days? [Big Grin]

No I jolly well don't - I want us to be able to get the outside of Château Piglet painted so that we can get it on the market.

[brick wall]

Wasn't that Strawberry Moon magnificent? I'm dog sitting for a friend, and the moonshine woke me about 1:30 am, so I went onto the back porch to see the moon reflecting on the lake out back, and enjoying the brightness of the landscape. The dogs came with me and were probably wondering what was wrong with Aunt jedijudy. She should be sleeping, shouldn't she?

Oh, PS, just six months until wintertime! Winter is why I love living in Florida! [Big Grin]

quote:
Wasn't that Strawberry Moon magnificent?

Wouldn't you know it? It was cloudy in Phoenix last night and I couldn't see it! Drat!

We're having a cold snap today -- temperature is only going to reach 112 degrees, down from the 120 degrees over the weekend. It was so hot that planes couldn't land at our local airport -- tires would have blown on the hot runway pavement.

120°?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

quote:
We're having a cold snap today -- temperature is only going to reach 112 degrees, down from the 120 degrees over the weekend. It was so hot that planes couldn't land at our local airport -- tires would have blown on the hot runway pavement.

I remember when Phoenix hit 122 in, I believe, 1990. The airport was closed because they didn't know how those temperatures would affect take-offs and landings. They also didn't want the baggage handlers working in that heat.

I'm in England currently, so please try cooling things off before I land next Monday!

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

quote:
120°?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Fahrenheit, I hope!

John

120° is scary even in Fahrenheit. [Eek!]

Indeed it is! [Eek!] I can only remember one time hitting 100 degrees here.

It looks like we'll be returning to our regular programming tomorrow...steamy mornings and rain in the afternoons. At least the rain cools things down. (I do love a good rain storm!!)

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

quote:

Agreed. But 120 Celsius...

John

quote:

They're reporting a number of heat-related deaths -- it is indeed scary.

The weather column in my local paper says that as long as the situation in the southwest continues, we will not have a prolonged heat wave. We will alternate between short spells of heat and short spells of cooler weather.

You southwesterners have my sympathy.

Moo

quote:
... I can only remember one time hitting 100 degrees here ...

Now that surprises me; I'd have thought that your part of the world would get at least a couple of days of 100° each summer.

There was quite a stir in the south of England a few years back when the mercury hit 100° for the first time ever (it was actually recorded in the town where D's sister lives).

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
You southwesterners have my sympathy.

Thanks. It's what we get every summer, though. What's a bit unusual this year is that it happened so early in the season, before what locals call the "Monsoon Season" hit.

Around the first of July, wind patterns shift so that moisture is brought up from the Gulf of Mexico. It does cause sudden downpours and flash flooding, but it's hardly a Monsoon as that term is known in other parts of the world. There is a noticeable increase in relative humidity, though, so the 100 degree plus heat is no longer a "dry" heat.

Right now the relative humidity is still low, but the temperature is up there!

quote:
There was quite a stir in the south of England a few years back when the mercury hit 100° for the first time ever (it was actually recorded in the town where D's sister lives).

I read a book about England during the ten days leading up to the Normandy invasion in June, 1944. It said that on at least one of those days, the temperature at Dover hit 100°.

Moo

It's quite possible that I didn't get my facts right; perhaps the one in 2003 was the first time it had topped 100° since the 1940s.

Either way, far too hot for me! [Eek!]

quote:
quote:
... I can only remember one time hitting 100 degrees here ...

Now that surprises me; I'd have thought that your part of the world would get at least a couple of days of 100° each summer.
It gets hot here, stays pretty much in the mid to upper 90's in the summer, but the combination of being near the water, and having afternoon rains most days keeps it from getting much hotter than that. The "feels like" temp can definitely be in the low 100's with high humidity and heat, though. We likes our Air Conditioning!!! [Big Grin]

My daughter Jan and I attended the Eucharist at the church which has this fresco on the east wall.

I saw the fresco two years ago, when I went on a trip sponsored by my local Senior Center. I decided then that I wanted to be present at a Eucharist in that church. When Jan heard about it, she wanted to come too.

It was a deeply moving experience.

I used to keep the images of Christ on the Cross and Christus Victor separate in my mind, but now they are together.

Moo

Thanks for the link, Moo. Christus Victor is perhaps my favourite way of thinking about the atonement, but it took many years to displace other ideas drummed into me by the theology of Sydney. Not going down that way on this thread at all.

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Macarius and I are going to a wedding today. - UK person here. I am told that the bridesmaids will be in front of the bride as she and her father walk down the aisle. This seems unusual to me, as I have only ever seen the bridesmaids follow the bride down the aisle.

I was told it's 'how it's done in America'.

So that's what I'm asking - is that how it's done?*

Thanks, all.

M.

*'cause I'm sure everyone in the whole country does the same thing!

I've played the organ for hundreds of weddings, M., and every one of them that had bridesmaids was like that. The whole order is like this...

Going out is mostly the opposite of coming in, except the groom has the bride on his arm!

How's that? [Big Grin]

[ETA that on rare occasions the groomsmen will process with the bridesmaids.]

[ 02. July 2016, 12:41: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Yes. Think of how things process in at a service on Sunday. The processional cross kicks it off. Then you start in with the less fancy (choir members) and end up with the rector/preacher. At the end of the service the cross goes first, then the rector, and the choir members etc bring up the rear -- important goes out first..

So in weddings. Kick off with the organ, and then the flower boy or girl (if any), the junior bridesmaid (if any), any fuss the bride and groom have decreed like dogs or motorcycles, and then the bridesmaids one by one, followed by the bride on the arm of her father. The groom and his groomsmen were waiting up at the altar rail all this time, in their tuxedoes or whatever, looking uncomfortable. Dad hands the bride off to the groom and sits down in front pew beside mother of bride.The officiating priest steps up and begins 'Dearly Beloved" or whatever service they're using.
They recess similarly: bride and groom, arm in arm. The bridesmaids pair off with the groomsmen -- best man with maid of honor, etc. Sometimes the flower girl precedes the b&g for flower=scattering purposes, sometimes not. Once the entire wedding party is gone, the parents are next, and then everybody piles out. Photos in the narthex.

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

In the good old days, when I was a girl, the main job of the bridesmaid(s) was to carry the bride's train - which required the bride to be in front!

Sometimes you get littles to do that-- think Princess Diana. Anyway there's tons of latitude.

There is. At mine we did it Vietnamese style (well, old style) and I came in on my bridegroom's arm, followed by the rest of the party more or less coupled up, but loosely, no fancy marching or stepping. Pastor was already in place, and the little ones had done the candlelighting long before and were already in their seats.

To be sure, we were trying to avoid a family fight between the two fathers of the bride. But it was also that I felt deeply uneasy by the whole "spotlight on the bride" thingy, as if it had nothing much to do with my husband, and all eyes should be on me... [Eek!] [Hot and Hormonal]

I remember being quite surprised at the "bridesmaids and flower-girls first" routine here in Canada; they even have their own processional music (usually Pachelbel's Canon).

Ah, that's interesting, thank you. Here, the groom and best man are usually in the church being nervous as the guests arrive, brothers and other male friends are ushers and ask 'bride or groom' so they can seat you on the correct side of the church, the mother of the bride arrives last except for the bridal party, then the bride and her father, then the bridesmaids, a bit like ladies-in-waiting at the coronation.

But it's all convention, and up to what the couple want.

This bride walked down the aisle to 'Concerning Hobbits' from the Lord of the Rings film.

It was a bit different anyway, as the bride's father was the vicar. So he walked her down the aisle, and then disappeared into the vestry while the music was finishing and was helped into his robes by some of the groom's friends, and popped out again to conduct the service!

Anyway, it was lovely, in a lovely old country church with the reception in the next door farm's barn.

I got to wear a HAT, and was gratified that a lot of the women did, they seem to be becoming popular again. Macarius pointed out that it had absolutely zero functionality as a hat, as it would keep me neither warm nor dry, but who cares, I got to wear a HAT.

M.

I have seen both orders downunder here. At son's wedding a few weeks ago her bridesmaids and flower girls preceded her entry on the arm of her twelve year old son. The two junior bridesmaids were my son's daughters who loved the position and looked stunning. The younger had a strapless dress like the older bridesmaids, somewhat engineered to keep it up as she is 10. Her son was fine coming down the aisle, but bored stiff through the service.

And same-sex weddings take it to another level of creativity. No, there are so many family and personal variants that most people just do what they want. The person who does have real power is the vicar or celebrating priest (assuming you are doing it in a church or on church property). If he doesn't want nude pre-service dance, there won't be, and the ceremony had better be held in some other venue. That means it's incumbent upon the priest to hold the line against real nuttiness.
(Somewhere else on SoF is a thread about disasters at funerals. There could easily be a matching one for weddings, which are fraught with peril.)

I agree that a lot is down to the vicar/registrar, Brenda Clough.

SSM hasn't been around very long, at least here, and I don't know what traditions are growing up/will grow up and how they'll differ and how be the same.

M.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I've only been to one SSM and, as I recall, both brides were walked out by their father. The bridesmaids however neither preceded nor followed: they were occupied in keeping the floral archway (it was outdoors) from blowing away or toppling on the happy couple.

At our son's wedding his father walked him down the aisle first because my son wanted him to. We had never seen that done before but the sky did not fall in. Once at the front of the church the music started and the rest of the bridal party entered.

quote:
I remember being quite surprised at the "bridesmaids and flower-girls first" routine here in Canada; they even have their own processional music (usually Pachelbel's Canon).

I always strongly suggest the Canon as the timing for the bridesmaids procession is totally different on the actual wedding day than it is at the rehearsal! [Big Grin] One can keep the music going, or cut it short and no one is the wiser!

Ah - now that rationale makes perfect sense! [Smile]

By the way - Happy 4th!!

Thanks Wodders! [Big Grin]

Happy Fourth, everyone! I'm going to a cookout. How about you?

Happy Fourth! I'm going to a friends for dinner.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

There is a neighborhood parade in the afternoon, but other than that, just enjoying a day off. The parade is fun- a few bands, lots of kids on bikes, a few low-rider car clubs. And an assortment of local politicians, including, in years past, our state's Republican Senator. I only mention it because this part of Denver is as blue as they come, and he may get 20% of the vote here in four years. But he still shows up and smiles, which I really appreciate and respect.

Happy Fourth from up north a bit! [Smile]

Since this is a college town, the fireworks are very audible. Thank God that when I go to bed, I can take my hearing aids out.

Moo

Double blessing , aren't they. Brilliant hearing when wearing them, blissful silence when they are out.

The house next door is occupied by students. After I had heard some fireworks, one of them came to my door and said if the noise bothered me, let them know and they would tone it down.

Most of the students here are very nice.

Moo

The city limits run down our back fence, and our (therefore rural) neighbors put on quite a display for their family each year, with sky rockets, star bursts, etc. At least they had risked a firebreak through the pasture beforehand...

After a couple hours at Ground Zero they finally stopped around 11PM. Fortunately our visiting granddaughter slept through it.

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

I have to calm a freaked out dog and the horses when our neighbors do their fireworks. At New Years, they shoot off guns.
I'd rather see sparklers or watch it on TV.

On the topic of weddings...I have had both these experiences:

Being invited to a reception only. Not being with the program, I brought my gift in and sat waiting for the wedding to start, wondering why the area had a small amount of people. One gay guy and I hung out after he stopped being afraid of me (I was very evangelical then carrying around a bible). He then got on me to have REALLY BIG HAIR and it was the 1990s. I still don't take his advice but I think he was on to something. I would like better like that.

As it was, I did some crying off in an area, pulled myself together and attended the reception. The couple divorced about 5 years later. The bride just remarried a few years ago.

I went to a wedding a first months ago where I took my gent with me. I expected it would be delightful. It was. Up to the end. Then I found out...I was not invited to the reception. Since I cried over this too, the gent told me to remove both parties from my facebook. A compromise was made that I stealthily unfollowed both of them and made the privacy higher so they are seeing my posts as often.

I now refuse to go to weddings where I am not attending both the wedding and the reception.

I realize people are broke and such but I say have a wedding like my mom and dad did the 1950s. Wedding ceremony in sanctuary, cake and punch in the basement. No frills.

[edited: to have no frills]

[ 12. July 2016, 03:41: Message edited by: duchess ]

That's sad. Here generally, the unwritten rule is (or at least was) that anyone can attend the ceremony. If you get an invitation, it will either say something like 'and after', which means you're invited to the whole shebang, or 'and in the evening', which means you're invited to a bigger party after the formal reception.

The bride at the wedding I've been posting about was apparently very firm that she didn't want two ranks of guests and wanted everyone there all day, which was very sweet of her.

M.

My understanding is that the wedding ceremony (if held in a church) is basically a public act, and so you can't really "un-invite" someone from it--it's God's house, not yours, even if you are the bride or groom. (No doubt there are exceptions for stalkers etc.)

The reception is another matter, and you can choose whom you wish to invite, though it's not at all kind to make it obvious to everyone that there's going to be a party to which you, X and Y and Z, are not invited. Which is why we invited everybody, and made reception arrangements which we could afford for the whole lot of them (400 people!). In other words, the backyard with sandwiches. [Devil]

Another way of handling this that I've seen is to have the wedding followed by a simple reception somewhere at the church -- to which everyone is invited. That can be followed a little later on by a sit-down dinner at a restaurant for close friends and family.

The usual practice (and the one we followed) when we got married was for the parents of the bride to invite close friends and relations to the marriage of their daughter at [insert name of church] and afterwards at [insert name of reception venue].

Other guests would be invited to the dance/evening reception; they probably wouldn't come to the church, but nobody would object if they did.

In our case, the people invited to the dance included the Cathedral choir (who had sung at the service) and also the members of a choir from a Cambridge college who happened to be doing a concert tour in Orkney at the time. They'd never been to an Orkney wedding before: I don't think they knew quite what had hit them ... [Big Grin]

The variations on this are very nearly infinite, depending mainly on how deep the pockets of the happy couple are. I went to a wedding once between a Hindu bride and a Unitarian groom. It took all day. The morning was devoted to an elaborate Hindu ceremony, in which everyone (including the groom and his parents) were dressed in traditional Indian garb imported from Bombay. This concluded with an enormous Indian luncheon, very spicy and in many courses. The guests were then permitted to disperse and lie down in a digestive torpor for a couple hours. At 5 pm there was the church wedding, with a complete set of Western wedding togs for everybody, and this was followed by a full-bore wedding reception dinner, with band and dancing. Followed once more by digestive torpor.

Yes, Piglet, that's what I meant, and is the convention we followed too. Although I think I would expect/hope people invited for the evening would come to the church/register office.

Obviously there's as many variations as people but that's what I would think of as yer basic standard.

M.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
The usual practice (and the one we followed) when we got married was for the parents of the bride to invite close friends and relations to the marriage of their daughter at [insert name of church] and afterwards at [insert name of reception venue].

Other guests would be invited to the dance/evening reception; they probably wouldn't come to the church, but nobody would object if they did.

The problem I have found is when, not being family or close friends, we have been invited to a wedding ceremony and the evening "do", but not the bit in between. That's fine if it's local and you can go home, but it doesn't work if you're in a strange place, there's nothing to do and it's raining.

[ 13. July 2016, 07:56: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
My understanding is that the wedding ceremony (if held in a church) is basically a public act, and so you can't really "un-invite" someone from it.

Doing so in England could in fact be regarded as contravening the law.

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
[QUOTE] The problem I have found is when, not being family or close friends, we have been invited to a wedding ceremony and the evening "do", but not the bit in between. That's fine if it's local and you can go home, but it doesn't work if you're in a strange place, there's nothing to do and it's raining.

Ain't that the truth - Miss S, when in a spinal corset, was invited to the ceremony and an evening do for one of her school friends. I was quite happy to drive her both ways, but when she discovered that she was the only one of the gang not to have been invited to the reception (which, as they were so very young, was sausage and mash and ice cream with sprinkles*) she was deeply hurt and never made it back in the evening. I did think they might have said on the day 'oh don't go, just stay on'...

*nothing against any of that - I just wanted to show that it wasn't in an ultra-posh, £100-a-day, book two years in advance place
[Mad]

Mrs. S, not one to bear a grudge [Killing me]

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
when she discovered that she was the only one of the gang not to have been invited to the reception (which, as they were so very young, was sausage and mash and ice cream with sprinkles*) she was deeply hurt and never made it back in the evening.

And I hope she returned her gift to the store.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
My understanding is that the wedding ceremony (if held in a church) is basically a public act, and so you can't really "un-invite" someone from it.

Doing so in England could in fact be regarded as contravening the law.
These two grooms involved 2 churches, so they made it easy to not invite me and others to the reception.

One groom went to my church, then went to his then fiance's church. Then they moved out of state to be near yet-to-be-born grandbaby.

They posted pictures of the "very small reception" later on facebook.

I understand they needed to save money. My church though is the kind of place that would have done a potluck if they had wanted. It was 7 miles away from the wedding church and no, it was not an oversight. It was very on purpose.

If lightning strikes, a unicorn comes out the sky and I get married. Marriage in sanctuary, plenty of parking and reception hall with potluck.

[needed to make less wordy. edited.]

[ 14. July 2016, 01:04: Message edited by: duchess ]

I came home yesterday evening to find wind damage. It was almost dark, so I couldn't look around until this morning. What a mess. [Frown]

I found out that I was lucky in the wind storm. A nearby school lost most of the roof, two of my neighbors have trees on the roof, there are huge limbs down all over. My tree guys were able to come Wednesday and cut most of the broken limbs from my trees, and chipped all tree detritus. There are still small branches coming down, so everyday I'm taking leafy sticks out to the street for the yard waste guys. They were very busy in my neighborhood!!!

And, I apologize profusely for spreading our summer weather to y'all up north. We really like for you to keep cool, so we can leave our heat and go visit you and your nice weather. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Hello USA. Is anyone in New York in September?

Mr C and I will be visiting friends in September. We'll have a week in NY, NY from teh 6th so we intend to jog around Central Park, visit various places of touristy interest and eat street food (unless it's bucketing down with sleet, in which case we might deign to go indoors).

Any advice from people of the other side of the Pond?

Cattyish, getting quite excited to see my friends.

Cattyish, I'm in New York. Would love to meet up at some point. PM me when the time is closer and we can make plans.

I'm not in NY, but I can vouch for it being a Rather Wonderful Place - we really must make an excuse to go back there some time now that we're actually on the same piece of rock ... [Big Grin]

We had some rain yesterday. The water was about ten to twelve inches deep in the swales. I'm on a higher lot than most of my neighbors, so normally the swale is drained by the next day, but today, there are still three or four inches of standing water. We don't need mosquitoes here. [Frown]

That does look rather moist, JJ - hope the mozzies decide to stay away! [Eek!]

It makes me give thanks for the pretty efficient fly screening we have around the place - and if the balcony becomes part of my territory - if we can ever afford the alterations - that shall be screened as well. I know mozzies are an essential part of the food chain but I am irked that they should find it necessary that they should feed on us!

I'll second that, WW - I don't think it's mozzies, but something's been eating me, and leaving bites that feel as if they're the size of volcanoes.

[Frown]

I'm getting really excited to see our friends in New York State and to visit the big apple itself. My land is to pack lots of Scottish themed items to pass around to everyone as well as Cadbury's chocolate and Tetley tea.

Cattyish, dreaming of jogging in Central Park.

"...if the hoods don't get you
the monoxide will!"

Enjoy your trip, cattyish.

Piglet, a Canadian cousin, long-deceased, used to talk about something he and his wife called no-see-ums which were vicious little swine. I hope the windows in the new [temporary] place are all screened.

No-see-ums are evil little bugs. I was eaten up by them in April. You can still see the many hundreds of marks on my legs. Thank goodness the itching stopped about six weeks ago.

THAT LONG???!!!! (never mind, there's nothing personal to my question, no indeed, just asking for academic purposes here, mumblemumble...)

Yup. Evil, evil, evil. The itching and swelling were so bad that I couldn't sleep for a few nights. Antihistamines didn't have any effect.

Normally, if I'm at the beach about sunset, I may get two or three bites. The worst part was taking a shower, and the bites would sting like fire, then after a few seconds, it was all gone, and nothing else ever happened. I think it was the quantity of bites that caused all the agony.

Lightening bugs are much lovelier!! [Big Grin]

There's been a lot of those this year. Lovely things.

quote:
... I hope the windows in the new [temporary] place are all screened.

They are indeed.

When I went into a chemist's the other day to get more insect-repellent (having forgotten to apply it before leaving the house) I told the bloke in the shop I'd just moved here and seemed to be irresistible to the wee buggers, and he said an English lady in the same situation had been in the previous week and thought the same. Maybe you gradually develop a sort of natural repellent after a while ...

Having said that, although D. has had a few bites, he seems to have got off more lightly than I did.

So... Wow.

My maternal greatgrandparents, the Kneales, came over from the UK ( London and the Isle of Man, respectively) to join the party lead by Brigham Young that eventually landed in and foundec Salt Lake City. I just found a family Bible, which I believe belonged to Grandma Lillian Kneale, published in London. Out of curiosity I converted the Roman date to Arabic numerals.

So, we have had a 118 year old Bible lying around on a jewelry armoire in the hallway. Holy Moses.

Very cool, Kelly. Those old family Bibles are treasures.

And they can hold secrets, too. I found a gorgeous old leather-bound Bible hidden in a closet at my grandma's (because I was a nosy child) and that is where I found out that my older sister is really my half-sister, biologically speaking.

Kelly, were your forbears Mormon, then?

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
... Kelly, were your forbears Mormon, then?

And if so, does the family Bible contain lots of interesting genealogical information?

As Mamacita said, v. cool. [Cool]

It is cool.

I don't have any family Bibles, but I know enough about my mother's family to know that I have some Mormon forebears. One was headed to Utah, but never made it. She married in Wisconsin, to another migrant, and they stopped there. (I've heard that she divorced him - unusual for the nineteenth century. He outlived her by a couple of decades.)

quote:
quote:
... Kelly, were your forbears Mormon, then?

And if so, does the family Bible contain lots of interesting genealogical information?

As Mamacita said, v. cool. [Cool]

Ok, those were my great great grandparents. Their daughter and my great grandpa were married in the TEMPLE, bygod. And yeah, I have real live Mormon trail forbears. Hard to research, considering how the modern LDS church has cleaned up a lot of records, but it would be nuts for me not to think I have some sister-wife co- grannies in the mix somewhere.

And my sis copped the Bible with genealogical info, unfortunately. Unfortunately because that guarentees it is hiding under mountains of crap in her room. Our Bible says " for service use" in the intro, so I guess Great Great Grandma copped it from an Anglican pew just before she set sail for the Promised Land.

[ 15. August 2016, 04:06: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Kelly, I love your story! So, where did you find the Bible? Are you treasure hunting in your home?

It was part of a bunch of stuff left in my grandparents' house when my grandfather died. The whole family has hoarding issues, so a lot of boxes were moved unpacked into my mom's basement. Since it wasn't the genealogy Bible, it was kind of neglected.

We turned up my Grandpa's gigantic, ancient Masonic ritual hadbook, too. [Eek!] [Devil]

[ 16. August 2016, 02:16: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Remember last year's huge wildfires in Lake County, in Northern Cal?

There's another one burning now. The story from the Murky News has a hair-raising map.

I don't know how these people will bear up.

An owl has recently taken up residence in our courtyard. I saw him two nights ago perching on a neighbor's window ledge. Didn't see him last night. I do hope he's here to stay.

He seemed to be surveying the ground looking for prey. When I stepped out onto my porch, he turned his head to stare at me and didn't divert his gaze once, even for several minutes after I went back in! It was a bit spooky, actually.

The good news is that our courtyard has been white-wing-dove free ever since the owl came to town.

Basso, that sounds frightful. [Votive] for all affected.

quote:
An owl has recently taken up residence in our courtyard. I saw him two nights ago perching on a neighbor's window ledge. Didn't see him last night. I do hope he's here to stay.

He seemed to be surveying the ground looking for prey. When I stepped out onto my porch, he turned his head to stare at me and didn't divert his gaze once, even for several minutes after I went back in! It was a bit spooky, actually.

The good news is that our courtyard has been white-wing-dove free ever since the owl came to town.

Do you know what kind of owl it is? (Obviously not a Hogwarts mail owl!)

The students are back! There are almost thirty thousand of them and only twelve thousand townspeople, so their arrival is very conspicuous.

There are long lines of cars on the major roads, and the supermarket parking lots are full. Certain items are sold-out. In a few days everything will settle down, but right now it's chaotic.

Our church, as usual, is having a yard sale Saturday. The new and returning students will want to buy furniture, bedding, pots and pans, dishes, linens, etc.

We raise thousands of dollars this way every year, and all the money goes to outreach.

I've spent the past four days cleaning and polishing donations to make them more attractive.

Moo

OOOOooooohhh! It must be like getting two broods of cicadas at once. A buzzing, screeching chaos, that disappears a few days later.

My son just started high school and is absolutely loving it. What a change from a few years ago. (He's in the marching band, and there was a football game tonight, so we got to see him in uniform. Add a little insignia and we'd be saying, "Beam him up, Scotty."

quote:
Do you know what kind of owl it is? (Obviously not a Hogwarts mail owl!)

No. Sort of brownish-gray with white talons, very large, the size of a large cat. But he hasn't been there the past couple of days. Drat!

There is a hawks' nest in the oak tree next door! The parents have been fetching dinner for the little one(s) and making all kinds of loud calls. Interestingly, when the parents flew to the nest this morning, a mockingbird and a bluejay flew into the tree right after. I guess they figured that they were not going to be breakfast for the hawk family.

I do like all the raptors; they are so beautiful. It's sad when I hear a squawk then see a shower of little feathers, but they have to eat, too. They are especially loved for eating the less loved varmints that I don't want in my yard.

We've had a large number of swallow tailed kites this year. Gorgeous birds.

Miss Amanda, is this your owl?

Just returned from a week of camping in Bedford County, Pennsylvania. Our first time exploring that part of the country...very pretty, although a little too hot for my liking!

What intrigued us the most was a certain kind of flying insect. They had black & yellow bands like a wasp, but were much smaller, silent, and darted around quickly like a fly. Do any of you local folks know what these are called? (In hindsight, I really should have asked somebody while I was there...)

quote:

I believe so.

quote:
quote:

I believe so.
That's what I was assuming as well -- your description sounded like a great horned owl, and we do have them in these parts.

Apparently we could go wine tasting or beer tasting the weekend we're going to stay with friends in New York state. I'm tempted to go for beer.

Cattyish, finding tartan things.

Well, the jackasses have been down our street, breaking into cars. They took Mr. L's wallet and 50$--I'm rather glad because he solemnly promises to break the bad habit of leaving it in the car instead of in the house. Other than that we had nothing worth stealing. They did leave us a nice hypodermic syringe, yay. The police took it.

Seriously, anybody who breaks into OUR cars has gotta be desperate.

Thinking of our Shipmates who are experiencing some tropical weather today. MaryFL looks to be getting dumped on with lots of rain. We're very fortunate here, just getting the outer edges of rain bands.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone in the path of tropical storm Hermine (pronounced Her-meen for those not in range of US news).

But I have to say ... whenever I hear that on the news I immediately think of this instead and want to say "You're pronouncing it wrong!"

[ 02. September 2016, 21:46: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Hope you're all safe. [Votive]

Looking at the Environment Canada web-site, it doesn't look as if you're planning on sending it our way once you've finished with it ...

... famous last words ... [Eek!]

Once it is over the border won't the permafrost slow it down?

[Two face]

I think it's going to sit and spin off the Long Island coast. Some permafrost would do it good!!

quote:
Seriously, anybody who breaks into OUR cars has gotta be desperate.

I used to own an ancient, beat-up car, and it was broken into multiple times. I always figured people were looking for drugs.

quote:
Thoughts and prayers for everyone in the path of tropical storm Hermine (pronounced Her-meen for those not in range of US news).

But I have to say ... whenever I hear that on the news I immediately think of this instead and want to say "You're pronouncing it wrong!"

I just saw some news footage. Ye gods.
[Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I used to own an ancient, beat-up car, and it was broken into multiple times. I always figured people were looking for drugs.

I was asked during jury duty a few years ago if I'd ever been the victim of a crime. I said something like, "Not really, unless you count having my car broken into. I always treated that one as part of the cost of living in San Francisco."

Hermine pretty much abandoned us, so we went out and I got a little sunburnt.

Cattyish, slightly itchy.

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

Hi good people.

I am travelling to Las Vegas and Aspen for a few days in a few days.
I don't know of any shippies in those areas but am very happy to say hello and buy you a beer if there are.

Oooh, Patdys! I know you're going to have a great time! Hope you can find some Shippies to meet with you! [Smile]

I'm not sure we have anybody in Las Vegas or Aspen. Pity you're not coming down to Phoenix.

We loved New York! Thank you America for the fun, heat, sunshine, pizza, seafood, transport, dance, song and great big smiles. [Big Grin]

Cattyish, back in Scotland using Star Trek and running to manage jet lag.

Glad to hear you had a good time, Cattyish - New York is pretty amazing, isn't it?

My cure for jet-lag when we came back was not having to go back to w*rk until the following Monday, sleeping until all hours and waking up at silly-o'clock thinking I should be eating dinner. [Big Grin]

It was lovely meeting Cattyish and her husband. We had a very nice lunch at a diner named Tick Tock.

quote:
I'm not sure we have anybody in Las Vegas or Aspen. Pity you're not coming down to Phoenix.

Those of us who do live here need to have a Shipmeet some time.

Is there anyone else in Arizona who hasn't made themselves known yet? Please tell us!

quote:
We had a very nice lunch at a diner named Tick Tock.

Oooh -- the Tick Tock on Route 46 in New Jersey? Memories, memories!

No, in Manhattan, near Penn Station.

Didn't know there was one there. I'll have to look for it next time I'm in NYC.

We're sad to hear about recent bombs in New York and New Jersey. We're hoping the people there are looking after each other and managing to get on with the important things.
Cattyish, thinking of the USA.

We just had the first rainband from Matthew dump a goodly amount of water on my home. It's just sprinkling now, with some gentle breezes.

We're the lucky ones, here in my county. I have contacted a friend and her husband who live right on the east coast near West Palm Beach. He's very stubborn and didn't think they'd need to evacuate to my place. Crazy man. [Eek!]

Grammatica will very likely have hurricane force winds. Erin, God rest her soul, probably would have had to evacuate. She is missing an excellent opportunity to complain about the weather!!!! [Devil]

[Votive] for all in the path of the hurricane, and that it runs out of steam before it gets up our way ... [Big Grin]

We have some beautiful-ish weather coming this weekend...finally! Sunday morning might possibly be in the high 50s! [Yipee]

After complaining about the heat for lo these many months, it will be great to complain about being too cold! 50s! Practically snowing!!

It has been record warm here the past few days. I remember however sitting outside and eating lunch at a curbside cafe, the week of Thanksgiving in the 90s at one point. So it is not utterly unusual.

It's still not exactly cold here yet either - I even had the air-con unit on for an hour or so today.

Ten days ago, I was near West Point, NY, and it was 48 and windy. My poor thin Florida blood was freezing. I had packed a fleece pullover and a nice denim jacket, which was very difficult since it was in the 90s and I was sweating when I packed.

Ahhh, it's nice to be back to my climate controlled home.

It is 55 this morning! [Yipee] [Big Grin]

Long sleeves for church this morning. Time to trawl through the other side of the closet!

You have the edge on us - it's 45° here today. [Help]

It's currently 89 F here in the Phoenix area. They're predicting 91 this afternoon. (97 on Thursday!)

Do you actually get winter in Arizona? [Big Grin]

You'd be surprised -- there can be ice on the sidewalks on an early January morning, and frost has nipped the bushes in front of my house more than once. But that period only lasts a week or two.

We are told that hot and humid weather is returning in a day or so. [Waterworks]

I had a great bothering conversation with God this morning, suggesting He might like to just put today's weather on repeat for the next few months.

[whine]The only thing is, the change in air pressure gives me a stinking bad sinus headache. The neurologist thinks they're migraine, but I've seen family members with migraine. I can at least remain upright. [/whining off]

I saw this posted on facebook, so I'm not going to swear to it, but apparently there was snow in upstate New York yesterday. Around here it was nasty and rainy yesterday but not cold enough for snow. Today was bright and sunny, though a little chilly, but well above freezing!

quote:
Do you actually get winter in Arizona? [Big Grin]

Here in the greater Phoenix area we only get occasional dips below freezing. In over 30 years here, I've only seen a bit of snow a few times, and it doesn't stick.

However, Arizona is a big state, with major changes in elevation. Northern Arizona gets a lot of snow in the winter and has a lot of ski areas. Tucson is a little over 100 miles southeast of Phoenix, but at a higher elevation, so they're more apt to get freezing weather and snow.

quote:
... apparently there was snow in upstate New York yesterday ...

The word "flurries" featured on the Environment Canada web-site for Fredericton for tonight. [Waterworks]

quote:
quote:
... apparently there was snow in upstate New York yesterday ...

The word "flurries" featured on the Environment Canada web-site for Fredericton for tonight. [Waterworks]
Please send some of that down to Arizona. We just hit 100F.

This is the latest 100-degree high on record for Phoenix. The previous record was October 23, 2003. The normal high for October 27 is 84 degrees.

[Help]

Makes you wonder what kind of winter we're headed for. Perhaps "The winter of our discontent" depending on the election outcome.

quote:
The word "flurries" featured on the Environment Canada web-site ...

We took a wee drive out of town this afternoon and there was snow.

It was the wet, splatty sort that doesn't lie for long (a friend refers to it as "fat rain") but it was actual snow. [Frown]

It's just as well that when D. spoke to the people who moved our furniture (and with whom it's still in storage) they said we should be able to get our snow-tyres if we need to.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

[Tangent] Sorry to hijack this thread, but can I remind all transatlantic friends that. If you wish to register for Secret Santa, the list will close on the 5th November [/tangent]

Just dropping in to wish you all wisdom and discernment as you go to vote on Tuesday.

I couldn't put it better than the Queen did when someone asked her advice about the Scottish referendum: "Think very carefully before you cast your vote".

Good luck! [Smile]

For Americans tomorrow, remember that if you get into line to vote they have to let you vote, even if the polls are going to close. Do not get out of line!

[ 07. November 2016, 23:54: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

Well here it is, just a few hours from Election Day. I fear no matter who wins there's going to be trouble. Batten down your hatches, everyone, and hold on tight, it's gonna' be a rough one!

It's early hours on the East Coast, West Coast is still in yesterday - the eyes of the world are watching you all and many prayers are ascending for wisdom over there.

I just got back from voting. My polling place is the town library, which is less than a hundred yards from my house.

I used to vote later in the day, but there were long lines across the parking lot, and sometimes there was a cold wind. When I vote first thing in the morning, I don't have to wait at all.

Moo

I now vote by mail (or hand-deliver my ballot to an early voting place). When I did go to the polls, I always tried to go early in the day for presidential elections. Living in Arizona, the election has sometimes been decided before our polls close. I believe they're no longer allowed to announce results until all polls are closed in all time zones, but I remember my first presidential election after I moved here -- a friend went to vote after work, and while she was standing in line the result was announced. She said a lot of people left, which meant they didn't vote for any of the other candidates and issues.

Something like that happened in New Hampshire years ago. It was the media who made the announcement, which turned out to be incorrect.

Back then, the cities, which tended to vote Democratic, had voting machines, while the towns, which tended to vote Republican, had paper ballots. The out-of-state reporters did not realize that paper-ballot returns come in much later than machine-ballot returns.

A half-hour before the polls closed, the national media announced that an incumbent US Senator had been defeated. Many people who had been driving to the polls turned around and went home without voting. When all the returns were in, the senator won handily.

New Hampshire now has a law that polling results may not be announced until after the polls have closed.

Moo

I voted.

Long lines but not unmanageable, and the guy gave me two "I voted" stickers! [Big Grin]

The church I serve -- like many in this part of the country -- is in use as a polling station today. It would be super handy for me to zip downstairs and cast my ballot. But sadly, I'm not eligible to vote.

My BFF and I are watching the reports now. I don't think I'll be able to stay awake for the whole thing, but really want to.

I did absentee voting, but handed it in to the supervisor of elections office. It's hard to trust that the mail will get there safely.

ETA, my 97-year old friend was with another friend for lunch where they were handing out pastries to folks wearing their "I voted" stickers. One of the local news stations came around and interviewed her once they found out she was born before women were allowed to vote. She proudly announced to the world that she voted for Hillary! [Big Grin]

[ 09. November 2016, 00:22: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Since this is All Saints may I just say-- [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Votive]

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

Why America why???????????

Can you please not start the "You People
" stuff here, please? Please?

Christ, I thought at least we here were Your People.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Scrabbling about for comfort, I came upon Shelley.

Rulers who neither see, nor feel, nor know,
But leech-like to their fainting country cling,
Till they drop, blind in blood, without a blow,—
A people starved and stabbed in the untilled field,—
An army, which liberticide and prey
Makes as a two-edged sword to all who wield
Golden and sanguine laws which tempt and slay;
Religion Christless, Godless—a book sealed;
A Senate,—Time’s worst statute unrepealed,—
Are graves, from which a glorious Phantom may
Burst, to illumine our tempestous day.

Or tl;dr - it's when things get really grim the new ideas spring up.

Let's hope.

Holding you all in my prayers. [Votive]

Today I am really learning the inefficiency of telling people we don't have time to mourn*-- the more I mourn, the stronger I feel.

*a flood of these sorts of memes are going around FB.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

I've rung a US Shipmate, whom I've known for years. We talk on phone or Skype. She cried.

We talked for a while, me mostly listening. This is a grown-up person, not a teenager who hadn't got her wish.

I'm beginning to understand how much and how deeply this affects youse. (And will the rest of the world.)

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

quote:
Can you please not start the "You People
" stuff here, please? Please?

Christ, I thought at least we here were Your People.

If that was in response to me, the intention was not "you people", rather an expression of bewilderment and sorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I've rung a US Shipmate, whom I've known for years. We talk on phone or Skype. She cried.

We talked for a while, me mostly listening. This is a grown-up person, not a teenager who hadn't got her wish.

I'm beginning to understand how much and how deeply this affects youse. (And will the rest of the world.)

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

This post pretty much nails it. You're a good friend, Wes.

quote:
Today I am really learning the inefficiency of telling people we don't have time to mourn*-- the more I mourn, the stronger I feel.

*a flood of these sorts of memes are going around FB.

If it helps, the Merriam-Webster twitter feed is asking today for favourite poems, I suspect in response to the election results. A way of giving people a chance to mourn, without being overtly political. It's definitely worth a read.

[ 09. November 2016, 21:16: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

Getting away from the news of the week a question for you lot over there:

Is the brand American Garden actually a brand over there or is it just an Asian invention? The baked beans I buy are generally from this brand but they are basically English style baked beans which, I gather, bear not much relation to their American equivalent; similarly with their mayonnaise.

Enlightenment, please.

I haven't heard of it on the West Coast.

English style baked beans are delicious. American style baked beans taste like bean flavored dessert topping. Blech.

Haven't heard of the brand, either. Maybe the actual beans used to make it are American imports.

I had never heard of American Garden, but looking them up, I see the main office is in Dubai.

I like the idea of using poems to mourn and reflect on events. During the time of the big quakes here and in the aftermath a company called Phantom Bill Posters interspersed the "supportive" (I hated them) messages from the District Health Board, with posters of poems.

I particularly remember coming across one of my favourites, Rain by Hone Tuwhare and being catapaulted out of the fear of the moment. Words can be so powerful.

Huia

Brilliant poem Huia, thanks.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Anything else happening in the Land of the Free? Anything good and helpful and beautiful to report? [Smile]

Don't give up. [Votive] [Axe murder]

Well, the late autumn weather in Arizona is simply delightful! I've been sleeping with the bedroom window closed for the first time in weeks, and I think I'll put the blanket on the bed when I change the sheets tomorrow. Time to get out my long-sleeved shirts too.

I'm sitting out on the porch now with my laptop PC on battery power, fighting the urge to let the gentle afternoon breeze lull me to sleep.

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Anything else happening in the Land of the Free? Anything good and helpful and beautiful to report? [Smile]

Don't give up. [Votive] [Axe murder]

I played the Hula Hoop game with a bunch of kids. You put out four or five hula hoops(islands) on the floor, you play music and tell the kids to swim, and when you shut off the music you yell "SHARK!" and the kids have to find an island. Then you remove one hoop. Repeat until you are down to one hoop.

The catch is-- if one person is left off the island, everyone loses. The only way to win is if everyone wins.

It felt like a very important game.

There is going to be a Million Woman March on Jan. 21 in Washington DC. I live nearby, and all my friends are coming!

So I heard! Wish I could come.

Hey, you're on Facebook, right? Do a live status update to the Ship's FB page! I bet Simon would be over the moon!

OK can do. I'll haul along my Ipad and take pictures.

[Yipee]

I think I shall have to send a US shippie our new broom/mop thingy - in typical Indian spelling it is billed as:

Advanced Moping System

I figured you lot need it more than we do!

... are you saying it's a broom mop combo?

quote:
I think I shall have to send a US shippie our new broom/mop thingy - in typical Indian spelling it is billed as:

Advanced Moping System

I figured you lot need it more than we do!

Perhaps they could use it at the printers downstairs here. Their sign currently says they are
Clossed

Not sure I would trust them with anything I wanted printed.

[ 13. November 2016, 08:59: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

quote:

It's one of those weird universally jointed thingies that they use to sweep airports and it has a mopping head as well. It's very efficient, Herself is a great fan, so am I when I am allowed to do housework!

When it comes to politicians and election results I think Moping makes perfect sense. There's nothing like a good mope!

Speaking of politicans, our Prime Minister, having thrown the whole country into chaos over this demonetarisation thingy, has now buggered off to Japan and left his minions to pick up the pieces.

I was in the bank again this morning [yes, I know it is Sunday but the poor bank staff are still having to work] and the staff are frazzled yet still having to smile and be polite. Will they be paid overtime? Will they get time off in lieu? Will the PM pay out of his own pocket?

I'd like to think it could bring down the government but I don't think we're that lucky.

quote:
quote:

It's one of those weird universally jointed thingies that they use to sweep airports and it has a mopping head as well. It's very efficient, Herself is a great fan, so am I when I am allowed to do housework!.
Well, now I wanna Mope. [Big Grin]

I just got done watching Joy, which is a nicely uplifting film based in the true story of the gal that invented the touch- free self- wringing mop. Hope I'm getting that right. Anyway, it's a handy little device, and I guess it made me excited about the idea of an innovative mop.

quote:
... when I am allowed to do housework ...

Wodders dear, you can come and do my housework any time you like ... [Killing me]

So, how many are getting ready for Thanksgiving today? Daughter-Unit is coming over to help me today! She has been in training to take over the festivities at some point in the future. (I've had the feast for almost every T-day since I moved into my home in 1989.)

Today is the day to make the stuffing (the best my son-in-law has ever had!) clean the bird which has been thawing in the fridge since Sunday, and make some side dishes to warm tomorrow. I've already done some cleaning and moving of knickknacks from flat serving surfaces.

I love this holiday! [Big Grin]

[ETA that Wodders would be welcome to come and clean here! You would be paid in a great dinner tomorrow!!]

[ 23. November 2016, 14:43: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

We're going out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving so no preparing here. But the Powers That Be are letting us out of work at 3:00 today!

They're letting us out at three as well! An unexpected holiday, I love it.

I plan to spend tomorrow making sticky-rice stuffing, a Chinese tradition for Thanksgiving, and a pumpkin tart. We are dining at a relative's place.

Posted by iGeek (# 777) on :

Driving to nephew's place near Dallas tomorrow morning (4-4.5 hour drive) and return on Friday. Have to board the dogs and the kennel closes at noon so must get a move on.

Have never had a holiday meal at this particular relative (husband's side of the family) so no idea what to expect. Have been told to bring bathing suit (particularly mild November in Texas).

I think it will be a unique Thanksgiving experience.

Making banana bread and pies (I'm the current keeper of the family baking traditions). Son getting covered in flour at the mixer--mad scramble for enough glasses, plates, etc. as my folks are expecting 16. My goddaughter should be with us, as she's now going to school in California too.

Attempting to avoid political discussions, God help us.

I'm just having two friends (a married couple)over -- I invited two other mutual friends who couldn't join us, and I'm keeping it simple. A Butterball turkey breast will go in the crockpot just before I leave for church, Trader Joe sweet potatoes since they're better (and easier!) than when I've made them from scratch, etc. My friends are bringing a couple of things. There will probably be political discussions, but that's fine since we're all on the same side.

quote:
Originally posted by iGeek:

I think it will be a unique Thanksgiving experience.

We are having a Thanksgiving adventure as well. Short pants and trade winds instead of our usual cold rain. Staying with family in an already-crowded house with limited hot water and almost everyone else is coughing or otherwise ill.

But having an adventure means you don't know what is going to happen next, and if that is your expectation in the first place it makes everything go more smoothly!

Is this the only state of the U.S. with a Union Jack as part of the flag?

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
Is this the only state of the U.S. with a Union Jack as part of the flag?

Assuming you're in Hawaii, yes.

I am going to some friends. My contribution as usual, is homemade cranberry sauce.

Moo

Choir rehearsal tonight. The Choirmaster always gets a little put off at this rehearsal, given that a lot of folks are out of town, and even fewer folks will commit to singing tomorrow. At least we have an extra Wednesday before Christmas, so we don't have to start that stuff until next week.

I'll be slicing sweet potatoes before leaving for rehearsal,and then putting them in the baking dish with cream and chipotle peppers and baking them after coming home. So no concerns about the potatoes turning colors in the two hour waiting period- the whole thing turns orange with the chipotles.

We usually watch Thanksgiving episodes on Netflix while cooking the night before. Friends had some classics, and the turkey giveaway episode of WKRP is undeniably a dark classic that you could never get away with today. But for my money, the That 70s Show season one Thanksgiving episode, while a bit more obscure, is the best of the lot.

Wishing you all a jolly Thanksgiving, and safe travels to those of you who are going to somebody else's. [Smile]

Best wishes from somewhere else that freed itself from the British Yolk, too [Razz] ...

...until I arrived...

...but we celebrate with curry!

Motherboard just finished two pecan pies, some gluten-free pumpkin-walnut-chocolate muffins, and some baked cauliflower, before retreating to the bedroom.

I am up next to make the Brown Chile.

And who's coming? No one, actually - the grandchildren stayed in Colorado. In fact we are going somewhere ourselves. Because years ago few people had near relatives and travel wasn't common, the church family meets for a communal Thanksgiving. The church does the turkeys and everybody brings additional things. People eat until the Cowboys game starts.

And then Motherboard leaves. She's a Steelers fan.

I'm going to sister- and brother-in-laws' tomorrow for a large gathering. I'm in charge of appetizers, which is my favorite assignment. Although it does mean I have to arrive on time. I was devastated that Trader Joe's was out of Blue Cheese and Roasted Pecan spread, as that was one of my options. I'm going to fiddle around tomorrow morning and see if I can come up with a reasonable facsimile. My other offerings will take about 15 minutes to throw together: cream cheese and red pepper jelly spread; and cocktail weenies with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. God, but this all looks tacky.

I hosted the all-family Thanksgiving for several years, when I had a big house, and loved it thoroughly. Now I'm happy to let one of the younger sibs take over. And bring my tacky hors d'oeuvres.

I staggered out of bed earlier tonight to scrub my hands free of flu germs and prepare sweet potatoes. Back in bed. I can't even begin to express how fed up I am with my useless, pathetic, bacteriological catch- all lungs right now. Freaking peak bad timing.

Oh, and tomorrow I turn 48. PAR-TAY!!! (hack cough choke)

The rest of the meal is coming in via Boston Market. Their stuffing is to die for.

Mama, have you ever tried Trader Joe's chevre/ dried cranberry log? Absolutely to die for.

[ 24. November 2016, 03:10: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Mamacita, a favourite here is halves of cherry tomatoes skewered on a toothpick with basil leaves either end. Perhaps a bit different.

I had a lovely dip the other day. Blue cheese and pistachio. Very good.

This is also good with baby bocconcini along with tomatoes..

Sorry, not sure if we use same names as you. Tiny balls of mozzarella

[ 24. November 2016, 05:18: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

quote:

Mama, have you ever tried Trader Joe's chevre/ dried cranberry log? Absolutely to die for.

I love that -- I’ve served it at home and taken it to parties.

Feel better soon, Kelly!

quote:
Mamacita, a favourite here is halves of cherry tomatoes skewered on a toothpick with basil leaves either end. Perhaps a bit different.

This is also good with baby bocconcini along with tomatoes..

Sorry, not sure if we use same names as you. Tiny balls of mozzarella

Another one of my favorites to serve or bring! Around here they're usually called Tomato & Mozzarella Caprese Skewers. (I've never heard mozzarella called bocconcini.)

Again, to die for. That was my favorite bag lunch, for a while.

Bocconcini and further, baby bocconcini. The baby bocconcini are often quite small, sort of thumbnail size, but round. Very good to eat.

[ 24. November 2016, 18:47: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

quote:
... cream cheese and red pepper jelly spread ...

I only discovered this after we moved over the Pond - we had it at some friends' and they were kind enough to give me their recipe, which I now make regularly, and give as Christmas pressies. One of the best and easiest starters I know.

Hope you have a great time - your offerings sound absolutely delicious. [Smile]

We had a most marvelous dinner! There were only seven of us, but that made a more intimate group. My parents came, as well as my sous chef, D-U, her hubby and his step-dad, and my BFF. Much fun and laughter had by all!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

The carcass and leftover potato water and various veggies are ready to transform into my famous turkey soup. If I'm lucky, there will be a bowl left for me, too! [Big Grin]

Although I grew up despising Nebraska football, I am super excited to watch the Husker game with me daughter and in laws tomorrow. It pains me to say it, but Go Big Red!

The other plan for tomorrow is to go to Bass Pro Shop and score discount orange cold weather gear before the Broncos game on Sunday night, to which I have tickets.

quote:
quote:

I love that -- I’ve served it at home and taken it to parties.

Yes! It's wonderful and I serve it at Christmas. Yum!

Loth, the baby brocconcini is a new one for me (but apparently not for my phone, which autofilled it right away). I will look for it.

Mamacita, I make the same mistake every time I go looking for it. They are called BAMBINI BOCCONCINI. Of course, what else? [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:

Oh, and tomorrow I turn 48. PAR-TAY!!! (hack cough choke)

Happy birthday! And I hope you're feeling better.

Getting there. Thanks, Ruth. And Happy Birthday in advance. ( or was it yesterday?)

Forgot to say the other day - happy birthday Kelly. Hope you're feeling much better.

Happy birthday Ruth too. [Smile]

OK. Who sent all this cold to us? Hmmm? It is 60 degrees here, and it's after 1:00PM!!!!

I think it might snow.

Today's high has not hit 40 degrees. It is to be hoped that next week the cold will moderate.

quote:
Today's high has not hit 40 degrees. It is to be hoped that next week the cold will moderate.

Slight tangent, but what do you all think the chances are of the TFO getting the USA converted to Celsius at last? Many of our readers are probably wondering why you think 40 degrees is cold, Brenda.

I understand the story is that we were on the brink of converting during Ronald Reagan's presidency but that Reagan couldn't understand the Celsius system and so the change was abandoned.

( adjusts thermostat. Thanks for the reminder)

Dear Chicago peeps-- I just discovered a pizza place that does Chicago deep dish. And that delivers! (Blue Line Pizza.)

Not as good as the real thing, but definitely not West Coast deep dish

Does the Celsius system rate for sexual attractiveness? No? Then does it make money? If not, then I think it's fair to say that it will not obtrude upon the TFO's notice.

Bring back thermometers with naked ladies on them -- that should do it.

quote:
... It is 60 degrees here, and it's after 1:00PM!!!!

I think it might snow.

My heart bleeds for you. It's 18°F here. [Devil]

Just as well someone gave me a furry coat* whose owner doesn't need it any more.

* fake - I'd really rather not wear a real one - but nice and warm all the same.

quote:
My heart bleeds for you. It's 18°F here. [Devil]

Yeah, yeah. I'm feeling the love. [Two face]

We do have pseudo snow of a sort! It's Richardia brasiliensis, which looks like light lavender snow. It's a weed, but I love it, and so do honey bees! Bees are some of my favorite creatures!

Purple snow.

Snow, snow, and more snow here: the real, non-purple kind. Part of me likes it because it actually looks like December now, but part of me doesn't because I have to drive 25 miles to play in a concert this afternoon.

Concert here too this afternoon, the third and last of the Christmas season for our choral group. No snow -- temperature is predicted to be 70 degrees F. The most serious hazard we'll have to cope with are repairs being done to the main road leading to the concert venue due to a water main break earlier this week.

Environment Canada's offering us another 10cm (about 4 inches) of snow tomorrow, which will be a pain, but still not a huge lot by local standards ... [Eek!]

Come down here Piglet. No snow for a change. Rowen's way has had several snowfalls in December, a bit higher than where she lives.

However, Sydney is in for a couple of days of 36° C and a promise or perhaps a threat that the afternoon sea breeze from east will be wiped out by heat from west. That will raise the temperature somewhat and in the west of the city, it will be hotter again. I am just about to water the plants on my balcony and will put the balcony blinds down this afternoon.

quote:

Dear Chicago peeps-- I just discovered a pizza place that does Chicago deep dish. And that delivers! (Blue Line Pizza.)

Not as good as the real thing, but definitely not West Coast deep dish

Yay! There are many variations of Chicago Deep Dish, so as long as it's good, who needs to be a purist? Also, Blue Line is a good Chicago name (says the purple line girl).

quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
Snow, snow, and more snow here: the real, non-purple kind. Part of me likes it because it actually looks like December now, but part of me doesn't because I have to drive 25 miles to play in a concert this afternoon.

Chicago is about to send you more. (probably 4" here with more coming overnight).

It's one of those flour-sifter snows. Nothing heavy, no bitter wind, just a slow and steady downpour of white stuff, hour after hour.

PS: Safe travels!

[ 12. December 2016, 03:11: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

quote:
Also, Blue Line is a good Chicago name (says the purple line girl).

I knew you would like that! [Axe murder]

Just in case you were wondering there is no snow here is southern India...

...it is cool though, well under 30C [Eek!]

quote:
Chicago is about to send you more ...

Oh, is that where it came from? [Paranoid]

Actually the 4-inch forecast was a big, fat lie - we got at least a foot.

[Frown]

This was quite a weekend.

Light Among the Ruins
Every year the State Park that preserves a 17th-century Franciscan ruin lights the ruins with farolitos for one night during the Christmas season. After we got snowed out last year, finally we attended and photographed. We came early to get a good parking place, helped light the candles in the farolitos, photographed while the ruins still had some light, and left before the crowd got so big that all we could photograph was other photographers.

Las Posadas in the Santa Fe Plaza
A Hispanic custom in which Mary and Joseph go from house to house seeking shelter in Bethlehem, rejected and ridiculed by devils (or people personifying social problems one year) until they finally find the appropriate place. In this case the devils used the portal around the plaza as a stage, and the appropriate house was the Palace of the Governors (oldest public building in the US) where Mary and Joseph and the accompanying choir and mariachi band and crowd of the faithful were welcomed with apple juice and cookies.

Both nights we dressed in multiple layers and still felt frozen.

Yesterday we got a dusting of snow, no more, just enough to stick in places. It was gone today.

Thanks for sharing your photos, JB!

Winter is over. We've been in the 80s recently. We still have purple pseudo snow!

When I was a docent at La Misión de La Purísima Concepción de María Santísima near Lompoc we used to hold candlelight tours for our founding day in early December. For me, appropriate costume involved going barefoot, sometimes in near-freezing weather. It was a beautiful place, even if I didn't get much of a chance to admire it from the outside during the events.

La Misión de La Purísima Concepción de María Santísima is in much better repair than San Jose de los Jemez. But then, it was abandoned 148 years before La Purisima was founded and at the time Jemez Pueblo considered it an instrument of Spanish imperialism. Some still do.

Then again, La Purisima was rebuilt at least twice, once on a new site following the 1812 earthquakes, and a second time by CCC crews in the 1930s. Because it had been abandoned / sold to other interests in the meantime, no pueblo grew up around it, which is why it is unique among the California Missions (except for one other still in ruins) that it isn't hemmed in by a modern city.

At least that's what I remember of the story from many years ago.

I envy those of you in the Southwest right now! Here it's 12 degrees with relentless snow. School's been cancelled, of course, so Mrs. Salicional has to entertain the stir-crazy children while I'm at work.

The rest of you are celebrating Christmas. I believe we're having the Fourth of July. Yesterday, we shattered the all time forever December high temperature. It was 91°!!! [Eek!] With the humidity, it felt like 95.

Can we possibly send you all some of our extra heat, and you send us some coolness? I'm putting in an order for 75°, if you would be so kind. Maybe 50° in the morning.

It's currently -6°C (20°F) here; I'd still rather have Salicional's 12°F than your 91°, JJ!
[Eek!]

I'm torn...91° is very uncomfortable...but anything below 50° is even more uncomfortable for me. [Frown]

But then, my blood is very thin!! No need for sassafras tea!! [Big Grin]

I suppose tolerance of heat (and cold) is very much a matter of what you're used to. I found the summers in Newfoundland very oppressive - the combination of temperatures in the mid-20s Centigrade (high 70s/low 80s Fahrenheit) and high humidity was very uncomfortable.

When we moved to Fredericton everyone said the summers would be noticeably hotter and the winters considerably colder, and I was bracing myself for much more discomfort. As it turned out, because the heat was rather drier in the summer, I found I could cope a bit better (with the help of air-conditioning!); and while we've certainly had colder temperatures in the last week or so than I've ever experienced before, it doesn't seem to be bothering me as much as I might have thought.

I remember visiting Iceland in August. It was about 60 degrees and so windy you could lean on the breeze. I put on every garment I owned; the stores were selling thick Icelandic woolens and I was seriously tempted to buy. However the natives were happily hiking around in shorts and tee shirts, enjoying the warmth.

quote:
I remember visiting Iceland in August. It was about 60 degrees and so windy you could lean on the breeze. I put on every garment I owned; the stores were selling thick Icelandic woolens and I was seriously tempted to buy. However the natives were happily hiking around in shorts and tee shirts, enjoying the warmth.

Pity you didn't. Icelandic woolens are simply marvelous! I bought a sweater in Reykjavik that kept me toasty warm through several New York winters . . . until I made the mistake of washing it.

When I was young, it was considered decidedly non-macho for boys or men to wear shorts, even in the most sweltering heat. Now you see them on everybody even in the dead of winter.

quote:
I remember visiting Iceland in August. It was about 60 degrees and ... the natives were happily hiking around in shorts and tee shirts, enjoying the warmth.

You make that sound as if it's somehow strange. 60°F is just over 15°C, which is about the temperature that my cropped jeans and sandals come out.

[Devil]

Re: Icelandic woollies - I knitted one when I was in my late teens and they'd just become fashionable, and it saw me through two winters in Aberdeen, which can be jolly cold.

The second time we went to Reykjavik I bought one, but TBH I rarely found it cold enough to justify it (and I've expanded somewhat since then [Hot and Hormonal] ), so when we moved here it went to the charity shop.

[ 22. December 2016, 21:22: Message edited by: Piglet ]

An Icelandic woolen sweater can be wonderfully warm. The loose spin tends to make them pill, however (Scottish fair-isle yarn is spun much tighter). Unless you live in a Northern clime you are unlikely to need more than one, and I have one already. It's thick enough almost to stand on its own, and I can wear it only on the most bitter winter days.

It's 2 January 2017 so I'm closing this thread and ask whoever wants to do so to start and name a new USA thread when the spirit so moves them.

WW - AS Host.

© Ship of Fools 2016