Thread: From the Mull of Galloway to Muckle Flugga - Scotland 2016 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030581

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

We're now a few days into the New Year, and it's time to put the old thread to bed (hopefully without too much of a headache!) and start a new one.

Happy new year, one and all!

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

I always wondered how Muckle Flugga was spelt. My Mum convinced my cousin it was a very bad word indeed when he was at the age to use language to shock. He went around muttering it to the complete bewilderment of anyone within hearing distance.

Huia

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

It can join Ecclefechan as sounding like a naughty word.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Ecclefechan is, of course, renowned for its tarts. Whether you think that sounds naughty is up to you.

Posted by An die Freude (# 14794) on :

Hi all!

I'm glad a specifically Scottish thread is opened, as it looks like me and the lady will soon be moving up to Edinburgh!

Would anyone have any good advice on what to think about? We're still looking for housing, and I myself will be looking at jobs in the area. (The Lady has been offered a very good position within the Police, being the reason for our move.)

As for housing, which ends would be particularly dodgy, and which are likely to be excessively pricey? What should one think about, moving to Edinburgh, as an English/Scandinavian couple currently residing in Surrey?

Any and all advice are more than welcome, as are invitations to social circles and of course, Shipmeets!

I look forward to hearing from you all!

All the best,

J.

Buy warm scarves.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

I am familiar with both Ecclefechan and Muckle Flugga. The tarts are indeed delicious, though the kind you can buy in the shops bear little resemblance to the amazing richness of the Real Thing. [Big Grin]

An die Freude, welcome (soon) to Scotland, and good luck with your house hunt in Edinburgh. The thing you have to know about Edinburgh is how a Very Posh Street can, within the space of two houses, morph into a Bad Area. Beware of anything that looks pleasingly cheap - it will not be in a good place. Nice housing in Edinburgh is very expensive.

Depending what you are looking for, it might also be worth having a look at the towns and villages around Edinburgh, from Musselburgh and Port Seton to the east, to Dalkeith/Loanhead/Penicuik to the South, to South Queensferry (confusingly) to the west. Just by stepping over the city border, the prices fall quite considerably. Further afield in commutersville, there are Linlithgow, Falkirk, and Livingston, which have good train links to both Glasgow and Edinburgh. A lot of folks also commute over the bridge from Dunfermline, Inverkeithing, Dalgety Bay, etc, where you can buy a family house with a garden at a reasonable price.

Feel free to PM when you have more of an idea what you are looking for and where.

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
I am familiar with both Ecclefechan and Muckle Flugga. The tarts are indeed delicious, though the kind you can buy in the shops bear little resemblance to the amazing richness of the Real Thing. [Big Grin]

Indeed true, although the Real Things aren't available in East Anglia! So we had to buy the others, which my wife said were a necessity for the New Year.

[ 05. January 2016, 08:20: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Those tarts are crying out for Creme Fraiche or Marscapone!

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Paging North East Quine, paging North East Quine...

Are you OK? I know your area is being deluged at the moment....

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

We are indeed being deluged. The river Don is currently about a mile wide [Eek!] but our flood plain hasn't been built on, so the flooding is mostly on grazing land(the animals have been moved off). Two of the roads out of the village are under water, and the trains are suspended meanwhile. I'm not sure if the track has flooded, or if it's just to allow a track inspection.

The village hall was open overnight, with supplies, in case anyone had to evacuate, but as far as I know, no-one did.

The council have left pallets of sandbags around, and a local builder has made his supply of sand available to anyone with a shovel who wants to fill bags.

In the next town along, two streets have been evacuated, with a further three under threat.

The rain is forecast to continue for another two days, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

We have the advantage that we can see the edge of the flooding from our upstairs windows, so can monitor the situation in warmth. The water would have to rise another couple of feet before it would reach our house, and given the width of the flood plain, I can't see that happening; I am not worried about us.

The North East Man isn't at work; his shortest route to work is flooded, as is (or was) his work car park, and his office heating has packed in, so he's working from home today.

Glad to hear you're not afloat, and very much hoping you stay so...

Thank you!

An die Freude, I'm dead envious of you moving to Edinburgh - it's where I'd live if I had free choice and money no object! My sister and brother both live there (one in Morningside, one in Balerno, just outside Edinburgh in Midlothian), so I have excuses to go there whenever we're home on holiday.

As they've both lived there for 30+ years, I can't offer much in the way of advice about house-buying, although I suspect that both their houses would sell for a considerable amount more now than they paid for them!

Good luck, and happy hunting! [Smile]

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

My sister's house in Ballater was flooded badly by the river Dee. Some of the pictures are unbelievable. My brother in law is away up there tomorrow to meet with the insurance people. At least it's their second home (inherited from my granny) and they weren't there at the time but the poor people who aren't as lucky.

It's very strange as I've been to Ballater regularly since I was a baby and next time I go the banks of the Dee will be completely different and all the views will have changed. Very odd.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister's house, chive. The flooding on Deeside has been incredible. Bridges and roads have been lost; it will take months for life to return to normal.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Ballater and Aboyne look pretty grim at present. I think the water is now receding, but it hasn't stopped raining yet.

Chive, that's sad about your sister's house. I hope it's fixable. I'm sure there will be some in that area in desperate states.

Cattyish, not wet yet.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Is the Balmoral estate safe? One would not wish the Scottish monarch to be homeless at her age. [Biased]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

An die Freude - for a small city, Embra (as the locals call it) has very distinct neihbourhoods. Are you looking for a house or a flat? A lot of inner Edinburgh accommodation is built in Stairs - a building of 3 to 5 storeys, each floor containing 2 or 3 flats, but sharing a common entrance, central stair and (usually) a 'back green' - to hang your washing in, ken. They vary enormously in size and character, from Single Ends (2 rooms essentially) to wonderful, spacious Georgian or Victorian abodes with cornices and ceiling roses.

Consider too the transport links. Edinburgh has good public transport, but many routes channel through the city centre. When the Festival/tourist season is at its height, it can feel like there are 7 billion people in the world and they're all on Princes St. If your partner is going to work in a particular location, start with that area and ones with good bus routes to it.

And asabove, feel free to pm me for info about specific areas.

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Is the Balmoral estate safe? One would not wish the Scottish monarch to be homeless at her age. [Biased]

The gardens at Birkhall are badly damaged and Brenda's neighbour has had to evacuate his castle.

quote:
An die Freude, welcome (soon) to Scotland, and good luck with your house hunt in Edinburgh. The thing you have to know about Edinburgh is how a Very Posh Street can, within the space of two houses, morph into a Bad Area. Beware of anything that looks pleasingly cheap - it will not be in a good place. Nice housing in Edinburgh is very expensive.

Thanks for this advice! It's this kind of knowledge that is hard to acquire when reading about a city from afar. Me and the Lady are looking for a place to rent, while hoping that our time in the London-ish end of Surrey would have gotten us used to fairly high prices.

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
An die Freude, I'm dead envious of you moving to Edinburgh - it's where I'd live if I had free choice and money no object! My sister and brother both live there (one in Morningside, one in Balerno, just outside Edinburgh in Midlothian), so I have excuses to go there whenever we're home on holiday.

As they've both lived there for 30+ years, I can't offer much in the way of advice about house-buying, although I suspect that both their houses would sell for a considerable amount more now than they paid for them!

Good luck, and happy hunting! [Smile]

Thank you! Sounds like a shipmeet waiting to happen! We're looking to rent, but I appreciate your nice words and encouragement, and look forward to meeting you one day!

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
An die Freude - for a small city, Embra (as the locals call it) has very distinct neihbourhoods. Are you looking for a house or a flat? A lot of inner Edinburgh accommodation is built in Stairs - a building of 3 to 5 storeys, each floor containing 2 or 3 flats, but sharing a common entrance, central stair and (usually) a 'back green' - to hang your washing in, ken. They vary enormously in size and character, from Single Ends (2 rooms essentially) to wonderful, spacious Georgian or Victorian abodes with cornices and ceiling roses.

Consider too the transport links. Edinburgh has good public transport, but many routes channel through the city centre. When the Festival/tourist season is at its height, it can feel like there are 7 billion people in the world and they're all on Princes St. If your partner is going to work in a particular location, start with that area and ones with good bus routes to it.

I wouldn't imagine that Edinburgh is that small, but perhaps it's just (along with its apparent Swedish sibling, Gothenburg) one of the world's largest small cities?

Good to know about the housing though, and thank you for your offer to help via pm! I might take you (and others who have offered the same) up on that a little closer to our move!

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Ecclefechan is, of course, renowned for its tarts. Whether you think that sounds naughty is up to you.

I wonder if there any known connection to Eccles Cakes. Or does this investigative endeavour belong in the appropriately named Ship thread?

The M6 motorway connects them pretty well - about 137 miles, according to G++gle Maps. [Devil]

[ 05. January 2016, 21:45: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:

The gardens at Birkhall are badly damaged and Brenda's neighbour has had to evacuate his castle.
The situation at Abergeldie is distressing, regardless of the fact that it is a castle. Part of history will be gone if it collapses. Our dear late Queen stayed with the Gordons in 1842 as she was viewing Balmoral with the intent to purchase. So glad the elderly Gordons have somewhere to go on their estate. It is doubtless more substantial than a tent. Lucky them!

I really hope that Abergeldie can be saved. Prior to the flood it was 60 feet away from the river, it is shocking that such a big chunk of land can be swept away like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

I wonder if there any known connection to Eccles Cakes. Or does this investigative endeavour belong in the appropriately named Ship thread?
No connection whatsoever. You can take my word on this. [Smile]

Btw, Ecclefechan, which Allan Cresswell says sounds like a rude word, is shortened by the locals to 'Fechan'. Try talking about the Fechan bus, the Fechan church, Fechan tarts ...

quote:
I really hope that Abergeldie can be saved. Prior to the flood it was 60 feet away from the river, it is shocking that such a big chunk of land can be swept away like that.

In the 21st century we tend to forget how such things as a surfeit (or lack, even) of water can change things so quickly.

quote:
...Our dear late Queen stayed with the Gordons in 1842 as she was viewing Balmoral with the intent to purchase...

Were you actually there at the time Pete?

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

Slightly late to the Ecclefechan party. My friend with teenagers use the word Ecclefechan to mean a wet towel which has just been abandoned on the floor.

Hey, Surfing Madness!

Presume you're OK too and not flooded out? Scary pics from your neck of the woods as well....

[ 06. January 2016, 13:42: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Hey, Surfing Madness!

Presume you're OK too and not flooded out? Scary pics from your neck of the woods as well....

Dundee would need ALOT of water to flood, so we are fine. I know that people not that far out have had problems, friend who lives in Blairgowrie said that the road in to Dundee has been closed several times.

quote:
We have the advantage that we can see the edge of the flooding from our upstairs windows, so can monitor the situation in warmth. The water would have to rise another couple of feet before it would reach our house, and given the width of the flood plain, I can't see that happening; I am not worried about us.

The North East Man isn't at work; his shortest route to work is flooded, as is (or was) his work car park, and his office heating has packed in, so he's working from home today.

How is it looking today? The BBC says your precise area is threatened right now. My family are all on high enough ground to be OK, but nobody can travel at all.
[Votive]

It's looking grim; not for us yet, but for quite a few people. I have never seen anything like it. The council have played a blinder and delivered hundreds (thousands?) of sandbags and they are all needed.

Lots of roads are closed by flooding, several villages are cut off.

It's supposed to peak with high tide at 1am; we will not be going to bed.

On the way home there were warning of heavy rain on the road signs. I wanted to throw a toddler style tantrum to make it stop......i didn't as I'm old enough to know it won't work!

I just want it to stop, too. Just been out to check on an elderly neighbour and there's lots of people out in the chucking rain, checking up on each other.

It's getting steadily worse.

We've not got a flooding risk here in Glasgow - thinking of you all.

And desperately wishing it would stop raining too! Feels like it's been raining since October....

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
When the Festival/tourist season is at its height, it can feel like there are 7 billion people in the world and they're all on Princes St.

Not at all. Half of them are on the Royal Mile.

I don't feel qualified to offer any general insights into the Edinburgh housing market, beyond Morningside is nice but expensive. (Though expensive by Edinburgh standards is not the same as expensive by London standards.)

[ 07. January 2016, 22:09: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

Ok, to clarify, when I said that I wanted it to stop raining, I didn't mean that I wanted it to start snowing instead. [Waterworks]

[brick wall] Oh dear. Still thinking of you all.

Neighbours standing in the street talking at past midnight, it's like hogmonay. Except we weren't ankle deep in water on hogmonay.

The water started coming along the street at 11. Our driveway is flooded but we moved the car in time. House is fine, we have sandbags at the door, but the water hasn't reached the door.

Some houses in the village are under 4 feet of water so we,ve been very lucky.

[Votive] NEQ and your neighbours. [Votive]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

[Votive]

Eek! [Eek!]

And [Votive] . Please God, let it stop raining (and we're not too keen on the snow as a replacement!) to give the water a chance to try & drain.

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

I believe last night that the council roads departments for the city and shire ran out of Road Closed signs - one of the best sources for local conditions has turned out to be this facebook page. With the snow coming on in the night and nothing at all falling right now, there's actually rather nice sunshine, but high tide is still half an hour away so we shall see what happens.

Yes, very grateful for fubar. One of their admins did a 24 hour shift. Facebook generally was invaluable, with people sharing information, lists of places to stay for people who were stranded on their way home, places providing free coffee, people with tumble driers willing to let others come and use them. The way the community functioned last night was awesome.

The water is dropping fast today. I pray that's it over.

[Votive] [Eek!] [Votive] That is all.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

Blimey, yes. Seconded and thirded. [Votive]

[Votive]

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

Im going to the kirk Scottish in London this evening. It is always excellent.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

I suppose some aren't surprised but I am. 100% of Scottish Conservative MPs are openly Gay.. Good on him.

Kudos to my local MP. Much as I dislike his politics, he is a decent man who works hard for his constituency. And he takes the time to reply personally and at length to my occasional emails of protest, which I appreciate. So good luck to him, and I wish him every personal happiness. (Political happiness is another matter ...)

It is currently snowing here.....I'm hoping when I wake up it will be gone.....

quote:
Neighbours standing in the street talking at past midnight, it's like hogmonay. Except we weren't ankle deep in water on hogmonay.

The water started coming along the street at 11. Our driveway is flooded but we moved the car in time. House is fine, we have sandbags at the door, but the water hasn't reached the door.

Some houses in the village are under 4 feet of water so we,ve been very lucky.

Are you back down off the roof yet? The BBC seems to have forgotten about you already.

The water has subsided, but the ground is saturated and it wouldn't take much for it to start rising again. We (and some of our neighbours) still have the sandbags at the side of our houses.

I haven't peeled the duct tape off the meter cupboard yet, either. This is largely down to laziness.

The new fun is potholes which have appeared on the roads. On our way to work yesterday we drove past two cars with flat tyres, presumably the result of driving over potholes.

quote:
... we drove past two cars with flat tyres, presumably the result of driving over potholes.

Welcome to our world; on more than one occasion here we've had two flat tyres on the same day.

The council apparently don't use the right sort of tarmac, and the snow-ploughs come and churn it up. We're left with either gaping chasms or, worse, shallow but sharp-edged ridges which only become apparent after you've driven over them and they've buggered not only your tyres, but the rims and God knows what else besides.

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

for anyone coming to Edinburgh,as indeed to anywhere else,they have to balance the price of houses/flats to rent or buy in Edinburgh with the price and the time to commute from the various towns nearby.

If you eventually buy in Edinburgh,the price will be higher than, say in Dalkeith or Dunfermline.
You will get tax relief on mortgage and it will probably represent less of your total income as the years go on. Prices for transport will almost always continue to go up and you will have to factor in a greater amount of your tim,e to be spent in travelling.

Of course,if you want to/prefer to live in Dalkeith,Dunfermline or Linlithgow,then it's fine.
If you are only buying or renting something there because you think it is cheaper,it is,in fact,false economy.

Or, at least not as substantial an economy as you might have initially thought.

That's a good point; when we moved to Northern Ireland in 1988, we bought a house about 13 miles from Belfast because we felt we were getting more house for our money.

Seven years later, we decided we were fed up with the commute: because a good bit of it was on very busy single-carriageway roads it took about three-quarters of an hour. We moved into the city (where the commute was only 3 miles and took about 15-20 minutes), and found that although our mortgage was bigger, we were saving so much in petrol that we hardly noticed it.

That's true re. the cost of the commute. But without going as far out as Dunfermline, it can still make a lot of sense to hop just over the city boundary. Buses take about 30-40 mins to travel from Musselburgh into Edinburgh, at exactly the same price for the busfare as within the city limits. You pay considerably less there than you would for a property in neighbouring Portobello or Duddingston, with no extra travel costs and just 10 minutes extra travel time each way. Like all these things, it depends on your priorities.

Posted by Beenster (# 242) on :

I'm thinking of moving to Scotland. Either Edinburgh or Glasgow look like contenders with the latter being more interesting at the moment.

Don't ask me why. Well you can but I can't really answer.

I need a city but I also need access to hills and SPACE. Any ideas gratefully received.

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

I loved my three years living in Glasgow, and would live there again very happily. (Various things conspire to keep me in the middle of England, though.)

I've never lived in Edinburgh, so can't comment.

I am greatly looking forwards to a fortnight just north of Glasgow in the summer!

Posted by mrs whibley (# 4798) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
I'm thinking of moving to Scotland. Either Edinburgh or Glasgow look like contenders with the latter being more interesting at the moment.

Don't ask me why. Well you can but I can't really answer.

I need a city but I also need access to hills and SPACE. Any ideas gratefully received.

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow would be great for this. There are great public transport links within both cities, but IME the countryside (mainly to the North of Glasgow and South of Edinburgh) is best accessed by car. We had a lovely 13 years living in East Lothian and the Scottish Borders and commuting into Edinburgh. It was the weather that got us in the end though. Do you like being cold and damp?

Posted by Beenster (# 242) on :

Cold and damp is de rigeur in Cumbria. So it would be nothing new. Yes, was thinking N. side of Glasgow, I have a friend who lives part time in Glasgow so will do a recce with her. Properties are pretty darn cheap it seems but I could be looking at the parts my mother would not encourage!

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

I lived on the south side of Glasgow for 6 years after moving from sarf London, and loved it (it seems I am perennially a 'south of the river' girl). Glasgow's a great city, there's so much going on, but also so much great countryside so close to hand.

I can't say much about Edinburgh - I worked there for a couple of years more recently, but have never lived there. It's one of those places I don't quite 'get' as a place to live, but that's presumably just because I never have.

I now live in Stirling, so in many ways have the best of both worlds - near to both cities, near to countryside, more affordable housing than either. But I did find it harder (at least until I had my baby) to meet people here and make friends than I did in Glasgow.

quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:

Edinburgh has a respectable hill right in the middle of it. And there are other hills on the southern fringes.
Glasgow is a bit more built into a bowl, and therefore feels more like other cities when you're in the middle of it. In Edinburgh the feel of being in a city is less immersive; especially in south Edinburgh you're always catching glimpses of areas that aren't built up.

If I had to live anywhere apart from here, and money were no object, I'd live in Edinburgh in a heartbeat - to me it seems to be just the most civilised place on the planet.

The fact that my great-niece and great-nephew, who are indescribably cute, live there has absolutely nothing to do with it. [Big Grin]

A happy Burns Night, everyone. Any good celebrations to tell about? It's a quiet one around here.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

We addressed the hagggis here. So the postman will get a nasty shock when he opens the pillar box in the morning.

AG

The day dawned clear and bright, with a cloudless blue sky. For the first time this year (possibly the first time since Nov) I hung my washing out, rejoicing as I breathed in the crisp clear air.

Ninety minutes later I was unpegging my still wet washing under a grey sky as snow swirled around.

Sigh.

It was nice while it lasted.

As long as 90 minutes? That was a very long sunny spell.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was sunny (the puddles on the ground remained frozen) but the sky was blue and lovely for about 60 minutes. Then the creeping grey took over and then came the snow.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

Everyone battening down the hatches for a fun day tomorrow? I'm supposed to fly to the mainland in the afternoon; not sure that's going to be happening.

I was speaking to my dad this afternoon (he's in Orkney) and he said they'd been having a fair bit of weather. There were some fairly spectacular pictures on Facebook of waves and high seas on Friday, and even the schools were closed.

When I was at school in Orkney in the 60s and 70s they never closed the schools for gales - there had to be about a foot of snow.

Modern children are so soft ... [Devil]

I think it has more to do with councils risking being sued when someone gets washed off the barriers trying to get to the school they didn't close. No buses here this morning but the school is still open.

Well, the winds are about starting here. Very strong winds expected overnight.

Thoughts to you, arethosemyfeet - suspect you'll get it rather worse than we will!

Yes, it's been quite windy further up the M80 here this morning too (and a bit wet), but the worst winds are forecast for this afternoon and evening. Apart from a quick jaunt to the library (5 mins away if the Elf Lass deigns to let me put her in the buggy, 15 mins away if she insists on walking, even longer if we have to examine every single leaf and branch in detail on the way), I don't think we'll be going very far today.

Arethosemyfeet, hope you are all safe and not too badly windswept!

Coming back from our usual Monday jaunt to the Health Centre we were reminded just what a Bad Thing 60s campus design is. Struggling across the howling canyons around the Hume Tower on the corner of George Sq was as much as this old dotterer could manage. And that, apparently, is the wind just getting going.

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I think it has more to do with councils risking being sued when someone gets washed off the barriers trying to get to the school they didn't close ...

I suspect you're right - it wouldn't have occurred to us to sue them.

Hope you're all keeping safe. Even where my mother-in-law lives in East Anglia they were having fairly spectacular wind and waves last week off the Suffolk coast.

No major problems here. The roof tiles are rattling something crazy, but the cycle to and from work was fine, and it's not windy enough to lift much into the air.

Good to hear all OK with you.
It's still blowing a hoolie here, but it's just noisy. At least so far.

Driving in this morning I had to pull over at one point and shift a bin out of the middle of the road. One carriageway of the main road past the shopping centre has been unexpectedly closed, but I don't know if that's weather related - there's another section heavily pot-holed where they keep putting up notices that it will be closed on a Sunday, then on the Monday replace it with another notice changing the date 'til a couple of weeks later.

My son and his family are going up to Scotland as there is a persson up there ! They are going to enjoy !

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

That sounds good, daisymay.

And I went today to the Scottish church in London and I is exselent.

I have never managed to visit either of the Churches of Scotland in London, daisymay, but shall do my best to do so next time I am there. Your love of them has quite inspired me. [Smile]

A friend of ours who used to live in Orkney is one of the clergy at St. Columba's, Pont Street. Her appointment somewhat amused us as it's the sort of up-market church that would suit her (quite likeable but rather up-himself) husband very well indeed.

[Devil]

The whole country seems to be waking up from hibernation today. It's pleasant outside, there's evidence of daffodils to come and the burn* is where it ought to be, not flowing through my neighbours' back door as it did in January.

I'm grateful for the little bit of sunshine peeking through the clouds, for the roads being pretty good and for a cuppa with some neighbours this morning. Roll on April and some vitamin D.

Cattyish, off to buy some provisions.

*stream

Snow forecast for tonight. [Devil]

Snow falling here right now. Not really settling though.

It's a cool but gloriously sunny day here, although the Weather Channel's threatening us with about 6" of snow at the weekend.

Stuff that for a lark. [Frown]

A good inch of snow here, and still falling.

Did anyone get a good view of the northern lights last night? I'd never seen them before, but yesterday evening I suddenly saw loads of photos and mentions of it on my facebook timeline so looked out of the window and saw the faintest bit of green. To be honest if I hadn't known that it was being seen all over Scotland I would have just assumed that it was a sliver of cloud, but I am still excited to be able to say I've seen it! Hopefully in the future we will be somewhere further north and less light-polluted and see it actually dancing and filling the sky. Some of the photos I saw online looked fabulous. Apparently there's also quite a good likelihood of aurora activity tonight too.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

This popped up on Facebook today. An intersection of Scotland and J. K. Rowling should be noted here!

What a cool author. I bet she'd have come to Shetland too, with a bit more notice.

I grew up in Orkney, and my student holiday job was in the Orkney Library (not the current building - its predecessor). I loved the job, even though I don't remember us ever having quite such a distinguished visitor.

I don't remember any particular rivalry with Shetland Library, although there's always been a healthy rivalry between the two island groups.

Shetland - where men are men and sheep are worried ... [Devil]

JtL - if you go to the "Orkney Past and Present" Facebook page, there are loads of really excellent aurora pictures - really some of the best I've ever seen from Orkney. Wish I'd been there to see it in the flesh. **sigh**

[ 08. March 2016, 01:45: Message edited by: Piglet ]

I have been in Scottish church in London. It is a lovely one to be in. I was there at night on Sunday.

Is anyone watching An Island Parish from Unst? It's not a programme I usually bother with, but I spend a very happy summer on Unst too many years ago, and am enjoying the beautiful scenery and the familiar places. I am even recognising some faces!

Sorry, Piglet, but Shetland wins every time for me. [Biased]

quote:
... Sorry, Piglet, but Shetland wins every time for me. [Biased]

Heretick! [Big Grin]

I went to the Scottish Kirk today at lunch time. It is very good ! I like visiting it London.

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I went to the Scottish Kirk today at lunch time. It is very good ! I like visiting it London.

I have seen how much you enjoy this church, daisymay. It is good to find some place like that for each of us, isn't it?

Although I've been an Anglican for nearly 30 years, I always enjoy going to St. Magnus Cathedral, which is Church of Scotland, when I'm home on holiday. IMHO a nicely-done traditional C. of S. service with plenty of proper metrical psalms is a Very Good Thing. [Smile]

I have been today to 1pm the Scottish church in London. It is really great! There are butiful in it and nice people.

Posted by Doone (# 18470) on :

That sounds a real blessing Daisymay [Smile]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I just bought the CD Songs of Separation from the Isle of Eigg . Wow, that's beautiful.

I love that CD, Le Roc. I'd really like to go to Eigg one day (most of those singers aren't from Eigg, but it's definitely the place to be for creative types. King Creosote's label moved there a few years ago too).

I really recommend you read Alastair McIntosh's "Soil and Soul", which tells the story (amongst other things) of the Eigg community buy-out. It's Quakerly eco-feminist activism of the most inspiring-and-slightly-bonkers type, I loved it.

I don't know if any of you are planning to be in Orkney between now and the middle of June, but if you do, you'll get the chance to see this magnificent display of some of the ceramic poppies that were at the Tower of London in 2014, now in Kirkwall to mark the centenary of the Battle of Jutland.

I'm sad that we'll not be able to get there to see them in the flesh*, but any web-sites with Orkney connections will have pictures (there's a Facebook group called Orkney Past and Present which has some excellent ones).

* It's of particular significance to D., as his grandfather was on a ship which was sunk at the Battle of Jutland. Apparently he never spoke of his experiences except to say that the water was bloody cold.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

...and finally the names of the crew of HMS Hampshire lost with Lord Kitchener are being added to his memorial as well (well, to a wall round it). About time!

AG

Good - proper thing. [Smile]

I will be in the Scottish church tomorrow in London. It is also very good.

Enjoy it Daisymay!

It was lusly and really great. I do enjoy going to it.

Excellent [Yipee]

My sister is now in my home to visit and we are going to the Scottish church at this day, She was it a long time as me parent came down to work. She was little then.

Have a lovely time Daisymay [Smile]

Just back from a few weeks in Scotland, arriving there just in time to travel to Oban in blizzard, followed by a crawl through the snow across Mull in the bus. Iona was even more beautiful than usual after the snow. It was almost summer when I left Glasgow on Monday.

The elections were so much fun of course, but they had overshadowed the shockhorror news that the last bakery to make butteries in Stonehaven had closed, so they are now hauled overland from Inverurie. They are not the same and are by no means as satisfactory. A dreadful state of affairs. But it was good to be back there, and I miss it badly (despite being born in England!)

How could anyone manage not to be able to sell butteries in Stonehaven? [Big Grin]

Ive been today at 1 to the Crown Chart Scotland. It is really excellent there. I love it - it is very far away from me !

One Inverurie bakery is aiming for north east rowie domination. The church Young* Wives visited the factory last year. It's an impressive set up, but they have expanded by taking over small local bakeries.

*Young in the Presbyterian sense of being under 65, mostly. One of the Young Wives is still under 40, just.

North East Quine, one of the church youngsters.

quote:
... North East Quine, one of the church youngsters.

That makes me feel better, as we're about the same age (give or take). [Big Grin]

The General Assembly starts tomorrow, so I'm up in the Burgh for a week. Those of a praying disposition, we could do with your efforts tomorrow, when the Big Issue Of Our Time is being discussed once again. *sigh*

Climate change? Mass migration? Recrudescence of fascism? Global injustice?

If only ...

Although we will be talking the EU at some point, and we actually have an official position on this! A number of years ago we affirmed that the EU was a Good Thing, and are being asked to reaffirm that this year.

What's that you say? The Kirk, relevant? Ahead of the game, even? Shurely shome mishtake ...

Good luck with that, Cottontail - if the Kirk is anything like our lot, they'll argue about it for a while, then put it on the back burner again until next time ... [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Good luck with that, Cottontail - if the Kirk is anything like our lot, they'll argue about it for a while, then put it on the back burner again until next time ... [Roll Eyes]

I was all ready to laud you as prophetic, Piglet. But as it happens, the vote did carry. So that's something. Thanks to all pray-ers and well-wishers in general.

[ 21. May 2016, 22:47: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

I've been called a lot of things in my time, but I don't think "prophetic" was ever one of them! [Big Grin]

Okay, so. Does anyone else feel that it's time for a Scottish Shipmeet? A wee Saturday outing sometime towards the end of June/beginning of July?

Sounds lovely, but we'll not be over the Pond until mid-August. [Frown]

quote:
posted by Cottontail:
Okay, so. Does anyone else feel that it's time for a Scottish Shipmeet? A wee Saturday outing sometime towards the end of June/beginning of July?

Now there's a thought. I'd be up for that [Big Grin]

[ 24. May 2016, 08:41: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

We will be in the Central Belt the first weekend in July *cough* the Loon's graduation *cough* but also willing to travel at any other time.

It's hard enough to plan for this evening, let alone July. But, if it's something the children might like I'm in (but, I also don't know what the mum has planned holiday wise, so I may be child-free in which case I can also be in). Or, I could be in Japan, in which case I'm out.

IOW, plan something. I'll make it if I can. But, don't plan around me.

Is that clear?

Very clear, thank you, Alan. [Smile] I hope it works so that you can come. And I am sure we can work out something child-friendly.

And poor Piglet - but perhaps we can do a mini Edinburgh meet for you in August, like we did last time.

First weekend in July, as in NEQ's suggestion, means Saturday 2nd July. How does that work for others?

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Glasgow meet on Friday 12 August? Or Inverness on Friday 5 August?

Sorry CK, can't do your Glasgow date.

August is a bit tricky for me too. I've got holidays and things around then.

Re. a family friendly venue - rather than an evening meal, we did an afternoon outing before to Almond Vale. It might be nice to do something similar. How would people feel about somewhere like Stirling for a change?

I should probably open a separate thread.

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

Just reading the mutterings about potential for a meet in August sometime - I am contemplating the possibility of a trip up to see my brother West of Glasgow and would rather like the chance to combine it with a meet if there is one. He doesn't know I'm planning to visit yet [Biased]

Saturday 2nd July is good for me.

I've no axe to grind over location as have car or access to train and will travel.

Stirling would work for us [Big Grin] There are a few family-friendly options not too far away - eg the safari park (although I don't think that's particularly cheap), or next to the safari park is Briarlands Farm (not as good as Almondvale, to be honest, but good enough!). Or if the weather's nice, a wander round the university campus might be nice too. All of those are probably best reached by car though, although the uni is on bus routes from Stirling and Bridge of Allan stations.

I think 2nd July would be OK for us.

What's the castle like to visit, JtL? I've never been up there. Is it family friendly at all? And is it a small fortune to enter like Edinburgh Castle?

Stirling Castle isn't quite as expensive as Edinburgh. Though since I've a Historic Scotland card I've not really noticed the prices.

I tend to prefer Stirling to Edinburgh. For a start, at least when I've been, it isn't as madly packed with tourists.

Stirling Castle is a little bit cheaper than Edinburgh Castle (free for HS members), but not loads (about £2 a ticket cheaper for adults). There's plenty to do and see there - I personally prefer it to Edinburgh Castle (although it doesn't have anything as lovely as St Margaret's Chapel). We go there several times a year (it's the ideal place to take out-of-town visitors). I think there'd be plenty for kids of various ages, and the guided tour is pretty good too. It has a cafe which does hot food and sandwiches etc. And some great views, as you can imagine for a castle on a giant rock.

Cottontail, one of these days I will manage to persuade you to join Historic Scotland (or whatever it is it's calling itself these days). [Smile]

I could do a shipmeet in July. If suitable for the Daflings (ages four and one) I should be able to bring them along barring illnesses, friend's birthday parties, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Cottontail, one of these days I will manage to persuade you to join Historic Scotland (or whatever it is it's calling itself these days). [Smile]

Acksherly, I, who live so near Hadrian's Wall country, am currently a member of English Heritage. [Razz]

English Heritage membership gets you a discount for Historic Scotland properties (and, vice versa). Life membership gets you free admission.

[ 27. May 2016, 22:47: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Full of Chips and I would both like to visit Stirling Castle; it's been years since we were there last.

Okay, then shall we try to make a decision? The proposal with the most traction seems to be:

Day: Saturday 2nd July
Time: 11am??
Place: Stirling Castle

The castle's website reports a nice cafe suitable for families, and also lists some family-friendly activities here.

Prices are here. As we said, not cheap, but those with Historic Scotland membership will be able to wander in.

It seems that there is also a desire for a shipmeet in August, when Curiosity and Piglet are around. We could always have a meal in Glasgow, or somewhere.

And of course, all of this is easily adjusted if it doesn't suit many people. THe Briarlands Farm suggestion is still there.

I love the idea of another meet, but our time is so tied up with travelling from one end of the country to the other that I'm wary of suggesting anything, especially this time, as we've got a wedding in the south of England to factor into our timetable, and as D. will have only just started his new job, I don't even know how much time we'll have - it may be a slightly shorter holiday than we're used to.

I think my best bet is to say, if you want to arrange a meet, absolutely do, and if I can, I'll try and fit it in, but don't try and fit it round me.

For those of you meeting on 2nd July*, perhaps it would be an idea to start a new thread to make your arrangements.

* feel free to raise a glass - 2nd July will be our 28th wedding anniversary (and Thomas Cranmer's 527th birthday [Big Grin] )

It wasn't an entirely serious comment. I would love to see people if you're around, but I'm wandering around a bit, which was why the two dates I gave are in different places.

I'm up for Stirling - I have Hysteric Scotland membership and I'd like to see the tapestries and the apartments which were being restored last time I was there.

No worries, Piglet. New thread has been started.

Re. August: if you and Curiosity let us know nearer the time when and where you might be around and available, then it might be possible for a few folks to get together in one of the big cities. We've certainly done that before. It would be very nice to see you both again if that works out, but understood if your itineraries are too tightly packed.

Thanks, Cottontail - I'll let you know once I know more myself. Meanwhile have a great time in Stirling - it does sound like an enjoyable place for a day out.

Hope the sun shines on you! [Smile]

In other news, did any of you see the Jutland commemorations from Orkney on TV on Tuesday? Being in Foreign Parts™, the BBC wouldn't even let me watch the links in the Daily Telegraph, but one or two bits were You-Tubed and posted to Facebook (notably the bagpiper in the Cathedral, whose late father married us, and the bloke singing Lonely Scapa Flow).

Lots of photographs were posted as well, and videos of the parades and other outside bits; the whole thing really made me rather proud to be an Orcadian (and even made my mother-in-law, who's English, proud to be an Orcadian-by-association).

[Smile]

Ive been at the Scottish church today and it is very good.

That's great Daisymay

I visited Aberdeenshire's latest tourist attraction; Peterhead prison museum. It was very good and apparently will get better as they are still working on some displays.

Serendipity meant we wandered down to Kirkwall Harbour yesterday evening, nosily went over to see what the crowd were doing and stayed to watch the dolphin for half an hour. Really close views of it both above and below the surface. I'm only on line to check that I was identifying it correctly. The people arriving said they'd heard about it on the book of the face, but there are also photos on Twitter.

Another joy was finding out that a monthly service is held in the Italian Chapel in the summer on the first Sunday of the month, so we didn't only visit it, we attended a service (and also St Magnus Cathedral for the morning service). Stupid question, if the Church of Scotland does not have cathedrals, how come St Magnus and the cathedral in Glasgow?

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Stupid question, if the Church of Scotland does not have cathedrals, how come St Magnus and the cathedral in Glasgow?

AIUI it's historical. The Church of Scotland had bishops and therefore cathedrals until the Glorious Revolution (with time out for the Civil War). At the Glorious Revolution the bishops all refused to swear allegiance to William of Orange and left to found the Scottish Episcopal Church (as they didn't call it). The cathedrals, however, were still called by their old names even though they were now no longer episcopal seats.

St. Magnus is also in an interesting position in that it doesn't belong to the Church - King James III gave it to the "burghers of Kirkwall" in a charter in 1486 (apparently the bishop at the time was getting a bit uppity). This means that it was looked after by Kirkwall Town Council (now Orkney Islands Council), who pay for the (considerable) costs of upkeep - mediaeval buildings don't just look after themselves ...

The Church of Scotland has the use of the building for Sundays and other services, but the only costs the congregation has to pay are the salaries of the clergy and organist* and a portion of the heat and light.

* When D. held the position about 30 years ago, the organist's salary didn't even get into four figures.

[ 08. August 2016, 02:51: Message edited by: Piglet ]

There is also St Machar's Cathedral in Aberdeen and Dornoch Cathedral. The names are historic. Similarly Aberdeen Grammar School and various other Grammar schools are state comprehensives.

Seeing a dolphin close up must have been amazing. I've seen them at a distance and would love a better view.

We got the boat out of Stornoway on Thursday afternoon. We'd been told in the morning that there was a pod of dolphins playing with the ferries just outside the harbour. But, by the time we sailed 3h later they had obviously moved on.

I do always to the church on thunday from London to Scottish one. It is very good.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Seeing a dolphin close up must have been amazing. I've seen them at a distance and would love a better view.

Dolphins are beautiful creatures. There are many places along the coasts here where you can get onto a Dolphin Cruise - a largish launch takes you offshore a bit, and you watch a pod. Boats have to keep a decent distance from them. Morning or afternoon tea is usually nothing much, but that's not the point of it.

Even better is to watch them surf from a breakwater or a jetty. They clearly enjoy coming in on a wave, then heading back to catch another. But the best of all is to be surfing yourself, turn and see a dolphin next to you. That's happened twice to me down the coast, but locals speak of it as a regular event.

I've been on a boat trip in Greece where we encountered a pod. Most were a little distance away doing the synchronised acrobatics but from time to time one would flash up alongside the boat as if racing it.

A long time ago I lived in a flat overlooking Cardigan Bay. Summer evenings as the sun westered over the sea, you could see porpoises beaking the shimmering water.

My other dolphin- related memory is of Vancouver Aquarium where one was introduced as the little friend of the orca. I have a photograph which shows the pool, and the tiered seating round it and, if you carefully, in the sky above, the dolphin. (Needless to say, when the orca jumped, what you mainly saw was a lot of displaced water coming your way).

This dolphin looked as if it was enjoying the audience. Several times it swam towards the group on the harbour wall, head up briefly, then a couple of waggles of the tail over the surface before the head came up again. It also turned next to the harbour wall a few times, one time it was close enough and shallow enough to see its full length under water. (You will be able to identify me correctly, I'll make sure you all get a good enough view.)

It circled the harbour quite a few times, but also headed as if leaving the harbour entrance but not quite.

We've seen Harbour Dolphins a couple of times over the years, I think once when moonlitdoor was here, and they are splendid creatures.

quote:
... Similarly Aberdeen Grammar School and various other Grammar schools are state comprehensives ...

Including Kirkwall Grammar, my alma mater, which evolved from the Cathedral "Sang School" and, as D. used to say, has been comprehensive since the 12th century* ... [Big Grin]

There have been a few photographs of the Kirkwall harbour dolphin (apparently called Donald) on the "Orkney Past and Present" Facebook page.

* Probably not quite, but it's a nice thought.

We went to the Scottish church this evening in Londan and it was very good !

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

We once had a holiday crewing on a schooner (Trinovante), sailing from Mallaig round to Dingle. As we came down the Irish coast, under power rather than sail because there was no wind, there suddenly seemed to be dolphins everywhere - under the hull it was wall-to-wall dolphins, and all their friends were appearing on the horizon, ticking through the water in little groups, until the sea seemed to be full of them [Overused]

That will be one of my deathbed memories; that and seeing them through binoculars, tail-walking I swear, in the harbour. We've seen them in the Ionian, but never in such numbers [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, who won 'Dolphin's Friend' award on one sailing holiday [Yipee]

I am in Scotland. Argyll is not a part I know well but I am thoroughly enjoying it!

I am, however, deeply confused by the clear blue skies, the sun and the heat... (I am reminded that the schools are returning this week, and this could be the cause.)

[ 16. August 2016, 17:00: Message edited by: Japes ]

That sounds about right, Japes - the traditional mid-August heatwavelet applied even in Orkney, where I went to school. [Big Grin]

I hope they're still having nice weather the weekend after next, when I'm going to be there.

I.e been at the Scottish kirk church this at one and it was very good.

I'm tempted to skip church on Sunday

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'm tempted to skip church on Sunday

Wow, looks great!

I love the historical re-enactment events my viking friends do. On Sundays they include spiritual (including Christian) matters. One of my friends makes books using calligraphy and binds them in traditional ways. They introduce people to ancient monastic traditions. When they did the Viking Village in Thurso near where I grew up I visited and joined in.

Cattyish, happily remembering.

I can't envisage me ever getting a tattoo, but if I did, it would be the Pictish crescent and V rod. I love it; I've had it as a henna tattoo.

Anyway, today I passed a man at a bus stop who had his head shaved and that very tattoo on the side of his head! He also had multiple piercings. So I stopped and chatted to him about the tattoo - why that design etc?- and said that it was my favourite tattoo design.

Then he said he had another Pictish tattoo and pulled his shirt open to reveal the Pictish beast! So I said "Wow!! That's my avatar! I use that online!"

He was very nice, but now I wonder if a young pierced, tattooed, head shaved young man really wants a frumpy middle aged fat woman telling him that they share the same taste in designs?

If you want tattoos, get them done in Scotland. That's what the infectious diseases consultant told me.

I suspect that yer young, pierced and tattooed gent. was fair delighted to show off his beastie tattoo.

Cattyish, I've seen many tattoos.

I understand they have them in Edinburgh at this time of year ...

I'll see myself out. [Big Grin]

I'm heading northwards tomorrow (I'm currently at D's mum's in Essex) and flying up to Edinburgh tomorrow evening, and then going up to Orkney with my sister for a brief visit to my dad over the weekend before heading back to Canada on Monday.

You will try and not have the weather too hot, won't you? I'm absolutely frazzled down here - 29° is not within the comfort-zone of the lesser-spotted Orcadian piglet.

Ive been in the Scottish church in London to this evening and it is very good. I love it.

That is good to hear,daisymay. It is great to find somewhere where you feel a good fit for you. (Actually meaning a generic you, not just daisymay.)

I have had the most lovely holiday in Scotland and am readjusting to daily life back in the middle of England with maybe not the best grace...

I won't leave it as long next time. Seven years away is too much.

Japes, seven years sounds like a very long time. Haste ye back!

It's rather warm around here today and I nearly melted running, then nearly melted again when Mr C decided we could go for a nice walk before tea.

The washing is largely dry, with just a couple of things to air out properly and about six items on the line. That should be everything ready to pack for New Yoik on Saturday. [Yipee] I have bought some tartan pencils and small wooden heilan' coos to take along as small gifts, and I have Tetley's tea and Cadbury's chocolate as ordered for our friends.

Cattyish, still procratinating with skill and effect.

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
... Seven years away is too much.

Certainly would be! [Eek!]

I had a lovely couple of days in Orkney - the weather was pleasantly warm (for Orkney) but cool enough to be a blessed relief from what we'd had in the south.

When we visited my dad in the old people's home, there were people doing a doggy agility show in the garden, and it was lovely sitting outside watching them; they were pretty-much beginners, and consequently very entertaining! [Smile]

I am being encouraged to tweet, and am posting this in the hope that the casual observer might think that I am tweeting. I'm at a lunchtime concert of C 18th music composed by, or dedicated to, women at the ever-wonderful Glasgow Women's Library.

Sorry, Cattyish and Piglet, I've only just seen your kind responses. I definitely won't leave it as long again.

I do admit, it is not outside the realms of probability that moving to Scotland in my older age would be on the cards. Work, for now, is most easily found in England for me, though, (as it was for my Scottish parents, and their Scottish parents and other relations) and unless that changes I will stay here.

I loved the years I lived in Scotland in the early 2000s, and it took a very long time to readjust when I was moved South again.

Off to Inverness. The museum is commemorating my axe murderer great uncle!

Why did he murder an axe?

Because he couldn't find a hatchet?

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Perhaps the hatched was buried!

Bollocks, cannae spell. A hatchet was meant, a hatchet it is.

I think if any of my great-uncles were a murderer (axe or otherwise) I'd probably rather that people just forget about it ... [Eek!]

quote:
I think if any of my great-uncles were a murderer (axe or otherwise) I'd probably rather that people just forget about it ... [Eek!]

Some of us don't have any heroic or even good ancestors, so we have to make do with our villains. According to my Dear Old Mother, one of ours on my father's side was strung up in Edinburgh, which led to the Porteous riot. I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back it up, apart from tradition and an intriguing similarity to some continuing family names. Virtue may be its own reward, but villainy makes better stories.

I think someone once said:

quote:
The evil that men do lives after them,
the good is oft interred with their bones

[It's a good line, that - perhaps someone should put it in a play.]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I think someone once said:

quote:
The evil that men do lives after them,
the good is oft interred with their bones

[It's a good line, that - perhaps someone should put it in a play.]
I don't think anyone would ever come to see it, or any other plays by someone who would write a line like that.
[Disappointed]

(But if anyone is that desperate, the RSC will be doing it this coming season.)

I had a great evening at the launch of the Next of Kin exhibition.

The BBC website fails to mention that "defending himself" with an axe actually meant killing people. He was mentioned in dispatches as having killed three, the regimental history claims he killed five, but the Inverness Courier claimed that he killed ten men single handedly. When I was a girl, the museum displayed the press cuttings, full of gory detail. Now he is just described as "fending off" the attacking Germans with his axe.

My only connection to the First World War was a great-uncle, Tom, who was killed shortly after arriving in France. I don't even know if he actually saw any action; my understanding is that he was killed accidentally by a mis-fire from his own gun.

At least it wasn't a mis-fire from NEQ's Great-Uncle George's axe ... [Big Grin]

quote:
I had a great evening at the launch of the Next of Kin exhibition.

The BBC website fails to mention that "defending himself" with an axe actually meant killing people. He was mentioned in dispatches as having killed three, the regimental history claims he killed five, but the Inverness Courier claimed that he killed ten men single handedly. When I was a girl, the museum displayed the press cuttings, full of gory detail. Now he is just described as "fending off" the attacking Germans with his axe.

A brave man indeed, unlike any of my known ancestors, but how did he happen to have a forester's axe with him on the front line? A pocket knife I could understand, but a dirty great two handed axe as well as the usual personal artillery?

His machine gun had jammed, and he was supposed to either bring it back or disable it to prevent it being used by the Germans. I assume he had the axe for the specific purpose of disabling the gun.

The citation in the London Gazette described it as an "axe" but the local newspaper reports called it a "trench hatchet" Each description varies considerably in detail. It may well have been something much smaller than a forester's axe.

What baffles me is why he was awarded the Russian Order of St George.

quote:
His machine gun had jammed, and he was supposed to either bring it back or disable it to prevent it being used by the Germans. I assume he had the axe for the specific purpose of disabling the gun.

The citation in the London Gazette described it as an "axe" but the local newspaper reports called it a "trench hatchet" Each description varies considerably in detail. It may well have been something much smaller than a forester's axe.

What baffles me is why he was awarded the Russian Order of St George.

That makes perfectly good sense, and it's also a cautionary lesson in how history is written and passed on. Take David and Goliath for example. Goliath may just have been a wee Glaswegian with a really filthy temper, but it made a much more memorable story if he was written up as a giant.

quote:
[...] What baffles me is why he was awarded the Russian Order of St George.

The Revolution was young, and they were happy to support anyone who showed bravery against the Germans, I suppose.

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
[...] What baffles me is why he was awarded the Russian Order of St George.

The Revolution was young, and they were happy to support anyone who showed bravery against the Germans, I suppose.
If the Order of St George was awarded in 1915, the Revolution would have been so young it was premature. Besides, the "Order of St George" would be an unusual title for an award given by an Atheist, Communist Revolutionary government.

It would seem much more likely it was awarded by Tsarist Russia, before the Revolution. Which, of course, adds nothing to why it was awarded to a Scotsman for actions in Flanders.

I just knew my post was premature, not having looked up the date. [Roll Eyes] Though, as long as the Russians could get one over the Germans, I guess that part still counts. Except that we may not know the exact circumstances.

The Wiki link to the Order is here; not sure if this will help to elucidate the mystery. But it seems that at least two more Brits got it bestowed on them in WW1. Hmm.

Posted by Barnabas Aus (# 15869) on :

We have a similar award of the Order of St George recorded on a war memorial in the Hunter Valley coalfields. A local historian has told us that these awards were spread out among the Entente Cordiale allies as an acknowledgement of the alliance.

That's interesting, thank you.

I have been at the Scottish church today in London at 1pm and it was very good ! And they give us feed after !

Yes, food always helps!

I am going to Scottish in England do the one. It is very good at night.

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I am going to Scottish in England do the one. It is very good at night.

Have a blessed time [Smile]

It has been pouring rain since lunchtime. I have only had eight guisers so far. I have visions of having a lot of left over sweeties.

quote:
It has been pouring rain since lunchtime. I have only had eight guisers so far. I have visions of having a lot of left over sweeties.

Last year I saw children in fancy dress in our car park downstairs. Perhaps they may have been visiting McDs.. Nothing last night at all, but I would not have expected it. I live in a security block of apartments where visitors need to be admitted through electronic buzzer. There are children who live here, but I am fairly sure there would be a big stink raised were someone to admit a group of non-residents. It sounds insular, but at least there are few visits from weird religious groups, salesmen selling discounts on gas and electricity etc.

[ 31. October 2016, 20:41: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

The only advantage I can see to living in the flat we're in at the moment is not getting any guisers. This also means that, unlike NEQ, there are no left-over sweeties ... [Big Grin]

There were, however, a couple of fully-made-up Goths in the corridor when I went downstairs to do the laundry earlier on.

[ 31. October 2016, 23:21: Message edited by: Piglet ]

quote:
It has been pouring rain since lunchtime.

We had no rain here at all. That's the awful Glasgow climate for you.

Ive just been to the Scottish Church in India, I has been very good.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

***Tangent**** Cottontail, can you empty your mailbox as I'm trying to pm you!

'Tis done. [Smile]

Ive been at the kirk church today at 1pm. It is always good. It is a Scotland in Londay and still celtent.

Sounds good daisymay [Smile]

A "Scotland in London" sounds like an excellent idea! [Smile]

Isn't there a London Scottish Rugby team?

A London Irish too.

Ive been in the scotish church today at won and it is very good in London. It also give food to eat after. And it is as pray us ofter.

On Saturday I saw a Syrian refugee woman hold out her arms to greet a Scottish friend with the word "Bosies!" She speaks in very broken English, but she's learning the important words!

( bosies )

Love it! [Axe murder]

Talking of refugees and kindly acts, my brother and his girlfriend have decided that instead of Christmas presents from the family, they'd like us to give donations to refugees, which I think is a rather good idea, and as we have a refugee family sponsored by the Cathedral I think I'll put something in the collection plate for them.

His Majesty's Theatre is giving free panto tickets to the Syrian refugees. This time last year they were still in the camp in Jordan; this year they are trying to fathom out Dick Whittington in Aberdeen. I hope they enjoy it!

I have been in London church in this evening and it was very good !

I've opened a new thread for 2017, so I'll say farewell and put this one to bed.

Piglet, AS host

© Ship of Fools 2016