Thread: London Meets Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030583

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Because we started this hare on the Truth Universally Acknowledged thread, and I don't want to derail it any further, who's up for a London meet? When and Where? Do we want a walk meet?

The other hare was Folk by the Oak, which is a one day Folk Festival at Hatfield House on 24 July this year. The headline act is Lau. Sorry, no useful links to anything because I'm on my phone. I've already bought a ticket if we want to turn that into a meet too.

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

You beat me to it CK - I was going to start a thread about a London meet too. It sounds like a walk or a visit to a museum, followed by a pub would allow people to pick and choose the bits they like. I can't do the May bank holiday Sunday, or the weekend of the 11/12 June or the last Saturday in June but other times are free at the moment.
Folk by the Oak sounds great but I'll be in Italy then.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Did someone say pub? Sounds good to me..

I'm around the bank holiday weekend, but busy the weekend after, then around until the end of June.

If anyone else wants to play I'm going to A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Globe on Saturday 28 May - £5 standing ticket. Emma Rice, the new producer at the Globe, is apparently producing gender-bending versions of the plays, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy this season, although this particular version sounds interesting from the reviews - a very different take on Hippolyta.

On a completely different tack, I'm going to Barking Folk Festival on Saturday 11 June because I want to see Seth Lakeman. Badly Drawn Boy is headlining on the Sunday.

If we do anything on 18 June can we be near Greenwich please? Greenwich being the home of the National Maritime Museum, Royal Observatory, Painted Hall and Chapel, all of which are lovely. (I'm seeing Fay Hield at the Blackheath Halls that evening.)

Also at the Globe, on Saturday 9th July I'm seeing The Taming of the Shrew - again £5 standing tickets if anyone wants to see that.

Folk by the Oak if anyone else wants to play - is Sunday 24 July. I really enjoyed it last year and there are a few acts I want to see on the line up.

Posted by Mrs Shrew (# 8635) on :

I'm visiting the parents for bank holiday weekend so might be able to join an evening meet, location dependent. Pregnancy making me flaky though so can't guarantee attendance...

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
If anyone else wants to play I'm going to A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Globe on Saturday 28 May - £5 standing ticket. Emma Rice, the new producer at the Globe, is apparently producing gender-bending versions of the plays, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy this season, although this particular version sounds interesting from the reviews - a very different take on Hippolyta...

Also at the Globe, on Saturday 9th July I'm seeing The Taming of the Shrew - again £5 standing tickets if anyone wants to see that.

I'm looking forward to The Taming of the Shrew on Saturday, 25 June, and A Midsummer Night's Dream on Sunday, 26 June! I'm too old to stand, so I have seats and even pre-ordered cushions.

That's a shame Pigwidgeon, I missed you last time as I wasn't around and I'm away this time again. I'm off to York to see my daughter, the National Rail Museum and the York Mystery Play at York Minster (possibly not in that order).

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

I can't do the bank holiday weekend as I'm out doing the South Downs Way. Encouragingly, the early forecast from the Met Office reads:
quote:
more unsettled and breezy conditions will develop from the south as bands of showery rain, perhaps thundery, push northwards across central and southern areas. These unsettled conditions are then likely to extend across all parts, with the wettest weather most likely in the south
[Waterworks] [brick wall] [Tear]

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

I would be up for something, at some time, especially if the pub is involved!

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Pigwidgeon, Macarius and I can't make that weekend, but would love to meet you again.

So depending on dates, would be up for a pub met.

M.,

M., I'm away from home for a few days, but I'll send you a p.m. when I get home. I remember meeting the two of you three years ago, and it would be nice if we could get together again. I have a pretty tight schedule, and I know you do as well.

Thanks, Pigwidgeon!

M.

How about a meet on Saturday 18 June? Walk or a museum or summat, with pub in the evening?

That sounds a possibility, enough flexiblity that I should manage at least one bit of it!

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

I'm interested, and I'm pretty flexible on when.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
How about a meet on Saturday 18 June? Walk or a museum or summat, with pub in the evening?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends when we're moving.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

Does it look like a meet might happen?

Sorry, we're busy on 18th.

M.

I can do the day of 18th June, but I am going to a concert on the Saturday evening. I would be up for a day time meeting and Greenwich would be lovely for me, but anywhere along the Thames / Southbank.

(I've also managed to double book myself on the evening of 18th June, so have a reasonable ticket to give away. I've rebooked the spare ticket for another date).

I'm away the following weekend 25/26 June but am around the following weekend.

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

I may join you at some point in the day! I will keep an eye on what the plans are!

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

This is very lastminute.com, but I've been at a conference in Westminster today and it's finished early. If anyone wants to meet between now and about 7 let me know quick!

(In full realisation that it's very unlikely anyone will be around at this short notice)

Bugger. If I'd seen that an hour ago I'd have definitely been up for it. Next time maybe.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

So it goes. All the best guys.

Sorry, I've only just seen this too. I would have abandoned work earlier had I been reading the Ship (not trying to deal with the pile of stuff on my desk).

Me too! I just arrived in London this afternoon and would have loved a mini-Shipmeet.
[Frown]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

**bump**

Just bumping this thread in anticipation of a hostly Hoover, in case the London meets are an ongoing thing.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I can hear the humming of the vacuum in the distance too.

Just because there was a suggestion of a meet on either 8 or 15 October to replace the comet meet that isn't happening. Is anyone interested?

Could be - I know 8th is already booked, but the 15th ought to be OK

Posted by Ultracrepidarian (# 9679) on :

Hello!

Having not been very involved in Ship stuff for the last few, um, years, I'm now preparing to depart England's green and pleasant land for a sojourn in the land down under, followed by taking up a new job in the Emerald Isle.

Since I've been really bad at keeping in touch with people, it'd be nice to have a shipmeet (either in London or in Oxford if people are able to come up) before I disappear.

It's a bit restricted because I've already been filling my diary with things, but good days for me would include:

Thursday evening 20 Oct
Sunday lunch/afternoon 6 Nov
Thursday afternoon/evening 10 Nov
Friday afternoon/evening 11 Nov
Sunday lunch/afternoon 13 Nov

Would any of those possibilities work for people?

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Could do ...

Damn, I wish I'd looked at this thread before starting booking tickets earlier! However of that list, I can do all but the evening of Friday 11 (booked months ago) or the lunchtime of Sunday 13 November (Remembrance Parade with Guides)

Oh, and the 20th October I'm at a lecture in the early evening (7pm to 8pm) so wouldn't arrive until around 8:30pm/9pm (but if I was coming straight from work I'd struggle to get in much earlier), again booked months ago.

Posted by Ultracrepidarian (# 9679) on :

Don't feel guilty! I could probably have started arranging things months ago...

Who else might be interested in a London Shipmeet?

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

Finally on the computer that I'm logged into the Ship on.

I'm up for an UltraC is leaving us Meet. Wonder if having it as its own thread might get some more traction?

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

That sounds a great idea to me - UltraC, pick a date and start a new thread and I'm sure you'll get a better response.

WW

© Ship of Fools 2016