Thread: Gene Wilder, RIP Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030586

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Gene Wilder, beloved star of "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" (WWATCF), "Young Frankenstein", "The Producers", and many other films, died of Alzheimer's complications at his home in Connecticut. I think the news said he was 83.

WWATCF came out when I was a depressed teen, and did me a lot of good, and much of that was due to Gene's portrayal of WW. YF has so many great lines and sight gags. And TP was basically Mel Brooks flipping off the Nazis. Much silliness and naughtiness. Then there's "The Frisco Kid", where Gene played a rather naive and gentle rabbi, sent from New York (?) to San Francisco in the days of the Old West. And on, and on.

Thanks, Gene. May you find light and peace--and Gilda!*
[Votive]

*(His late wife, comedienne Gilda Radner. Oh, and when she died of too-late-diagnosed ovarian cancer, he started Gilda's Place for women with cancer.)

[ 30. August 2016, 09:01: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

A huge talent and I agree he will be hugely missed.

Posted by Tobias (# 18613) on :

When I was a child, I watched 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' times beyond counting. (I suspect that certain of my own mannerisms are feebly copied from Wilder's Willy Wonka.) The second film version of the book simply did not have the magic - it was Wilder who had the magic.

[Votive] May he rest in peace.

Posted by Teekeey Misha (# 18604) on :

WWATCF is one of the films I most hate in all the world. I suspect that's because Wilder was so good at playing WW whom I loathed even in the books.

"Young Frankenstein" and "The Producers", on the other hand, are two of the highest ranking films in my personal list of "Absolute Greatest Comedy Films Ever Made Ever So There". Wilder has, through these two films and others, given me many, many hours of laughter; that's a precious gift to have given.

[Votive]

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

The Producers is terrific. Even when you go to the stage musical, which was a monster hit, the actor playing Leo Bloom has to channel Wilder.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
the actor playing Leo Bloom has to channel Wilder.

Who was, of course, the underrated, why-don't-we-see-more-of-him Matthew Broderick.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

RIP Gene Wilder.

I have a fondness for Blazing Saddles. He was so excellent in that.

[Votive]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tobias:
When I was a child, I watched 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' times beyond counting. (I suspect that certain of my own mannerisms are feebly copied from Wilder's Willy Wonka.) The second film version of the book simply did not have the magic - it was Wilder who had the magic.

[Votive] May he rest in peace.

I idolized Wilder when I was a kid, based on this movie. I just decided all the sneering was an act, and the kindness and joy WW showed at the end was the real thing.

And yeah, I think that was down to Wilder being himself.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
RIP Gene Wilder.

I have a fondness for Blazing Saddles. He was so excellent in that.

[Votive]

Every couple of years we have a "Blazing Saddles Evening" with friends. I think another is due.

RIP indeed, with many thanks.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Of course, you'll have the good taste not to mention it.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Young Frankenstein did for me, there some excellent parodies on the old original with Karloff.

His other effort that had me in stitches was The Woman in Red.
Great talent, great contribution to Cinema
[Votive]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I think the combination of Wilder and Feldman in Young Frankenstein was magical casting, it rarely gets better than that.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
His other effort that had me in stitches was The Woman in Red.

I'm glad you said that as I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who remembered that film.

Often forgotten, but a great performance from Wilder and yet another example of his brilliant comic timing.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Blazing Saddles never fails to raise a hoot.

RIP Mr. Wilder.

[ 01. September 2016, 00:16: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by MSHB (# 9228) on :

Being sick at the moment, I watched Silver Streak yesterday. Not GW's leading movie by far, but he and Richard Pryor did work as a comedy team. It had quite a few recognisable faces, like Ray Walston (who I remember as "My Favourite Martian" when I was growing up).

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

I'm watching 'Haunted House' right this minute, one of the GW and Gilda Radnor films (also featuring a much younger Jim Carter). Nobody makes this werewolf murder mystery/horror parodies with musical numbers anymore. *sigh*

'Haunted Honeymoon', not 'House'. My apologies.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

"You do the Eagle Rock with style and grace..."

Other night, a few weeks ago, I woke up from a nightmare and remembering Wilder's monologue about the " filthy figment of my diseased imagination" calmed me down.

(Hope this is ok!)

News said that AMC theaters will be running "Wonka" and "Blazing Saddles" this weekend. Don't know if it's *every* AMC; but worth checking if you have an AMC near you.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
"You do the Eagle Rock with style and grace..."

Other night, a few weeks ago, I woke up from a nightmare and remembering Wilder's monologue about the " filthy figment of my diseased imagination" calmed me down.

[Big Grin] That's the one. I'll be humming it all evening now.

Terri Gross reran her 2005 radio interview with Gene Wilder. It's very good.

© Ship of Fools 2016