Thread: November Fitness Challenge? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030598

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

Would anyone be up for a fitness challenge in November? I need some support to incentivise me to get up and get out and get moving now the nights are drawing in. (For those in the Southern Hemisphere it's would be a chance to get out more in nice weather I guess.)

I think how we've done this before is to count the hours of exercise each participant does and have a winner (being the person who does the most).

But I was thinking about each person who wants to join in just setting their own daily/weekly/month targets and the challenge being for them to meet them. If that makes sense!

Obviously would also depend on the Hosts being willing to have it take up a thread. I think before it sat in the Circus.

[ 28. October 2016, 17:50: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Sounds brilliant, because i need something too. We asked the hosts whether we could run in the Circus.

(I'm also probably not going to be allowed to do much for a week or two. GP muttered two weeks off when I saw him earlier this week, which is not an option. I need to check blood tests on Monday.)

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

I'm up for it. Having just retired I'm trying not to laze around and with a walking holiday planned for next year I need to get fitter than I am at present.

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

I'd like to join in. I've done really well this year at being more active, but I am concerned it's going to be much more difficult from after the clocks changing and the darker nights, and could do with some extra motivation.

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

If I come in last it will be a good run for me since right now i can slowly walk a short block, so yes!

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

I would be a starter. The Nordic walking class I signed up for was cancelled [Waterworks] so I need some encouragement.

I'm having difficulty getting moving and, being down in the southern hemisphere I don't have shorter days as a reason.

Huia

[ 28. October 2016, 21:35: Message edited by: Huia ]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

It seems a good idea to me, too. Personal accountability is always a good idea.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

How lovely to see this thread. I regularly think of the fitness challenges of a few years ago as I'm on my way to and from the gym. I shall certainly join in but there are a few *but*s! one of them being that my heart rate has a tendency to drop to about 44 at unpredictable times so I'm going to have to wear a heart monitor when they've got one available, but being involved in a fitness challenge will be a good test.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I need to do this! I'm in.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

I've just acquired a fitbit, and am aiming for my 10,000 steps a day. It would be good to have an extra layer of accountability as the nights get darker.

[ 29. October 2016, 11:40: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I'm in.

My gym habit has slipped. I want to get back to four times a week.

So I'm going to say Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Saturday.

[Smile]

I have started a new doc to record my exercise and time taken. I wish I could volunteer to collect results, but that is something way beyond me, I'm afraid!

Oops, sorry, was away from my computer over the weekend. Must try and find my login so I can post from my phone.

Anyway, seems we have enough people interested for it to be a go-er. So far...

Curiosity Killed... (maybe, health permitting)
Sarasa
Japes
Belle Ringer
Huia
Welease Woderick
SusanDoris
North East Quine
Cottontail - 10,000 steps per day
Boogie - gym 4 days/week (Su/M/Th/Sa)

More are welcome as we go along of course.

Here's how I propose we do it:
- post your November fitness target (eg X amount per day/per week/in total over the month)
- state whether a brutal bootcamp pushing or a more gentle form of support from your fellow challengers is most likely to keep you going
- post regularly as to how you're doing against it / what you've done that day
- keep an eye on others and cheer them along / chivvy them according to their preferred support style
- I'll try and keep track and post some weekly updates as to how we're all doing

Hosts - can we do this here or do we need to move to The Circus?

Target:
- move generally min one hour per day (walking, cycling...)
- plus focused fitness exercise 3x per week (e.g. exercise class, outrigger training, long country walk, run...)

Feel free to kick my butt if you see me not posting or not achieving. A sharp 'oy Yangtze what's happening, get on with it' kind of thing. :-)

Target: ideally some form of outdoor exercise every day, gardening or walking. However if the weather is foul, some form of indoor exercise. I'm aiming to try to find something that works for me.

I'm hoping my feet are now recovered enough for me to do 12,000 steps per day, starting tomorrow - probably only 5 days a week but you never know!

Tonight I shall start with a gentle stroll to the village and back to add to the 2680 steps I have done so far today - that was just to the bus stop and back and a small mooch round this end of town buying baby fodder and going to the bank.

I'm going to keep it simple with my 10,000 steps. I will aim to post every other day, and list each day as achieved or otherwise.

It's weird how on Sunday I managed to do the 10,000 steps just by generally running around, whereas on Saturday it took a 1 hour, 3 mile, blister-inducing walk to achieve same. [Paranoid]

Well, fell at the first hurdle, I'm not going to village tonight as the rains came before I could get ready. November is traditionally a wet month as the N E Monsoon has a go at us so there will be many days when I can't walk - and that's just how it is.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

My aim is both simple and restricted, since I leave home for work at 6.30 am and don't get back till after 5.pm.

Outside of work, which can involve walking anything from a half to two miles (it's a big school on a split campus) to walk either to Sainsbury's - round trip 1 mile, or into the town centre and back - round trip 1.8 miles. This keeps the hips going.

I've already whinged on another thread about the swimming situation. It is in any case less attractive in winter and the daaaaaark.

Any extras, such as longer weekend walks, will be duly reported.

Gentle nudges are welcome.

My retirement gift to myself was a fitbit, which has already informed me I've walked 5,000 steps today. My aim is to that as a minimum daily, but try to do 10,000 as often as possible. I'm also aiming for one fitness class and one swimming session a week. I've already done this week's swim - I appear to be getting slower (I use something called swimtag - until I used that I thought I was a pretty good swimmer for my age [Frown] )
Gentle nudges welcome.

[ 01. November 2016, 14:01: Message edited by: Sarasa ]

My main target is 15,000 steps a day, with at least one day a week over 20,000. I'm mostly achieving that now, but want to keep it going! My timetable at work has changed in a way that will actually help this.

My second is 7,000 "Aerobic Steps" at least 5 days a week. My little pedometer counts "Aerobic Steps" (which I gather is continuous walking for more than ten minutes a time at a reasonable pace) as well as total steps. Again, I'm mostly achieving this already, but would like to get more days with 10,000 aerobic steps in.

So, today, I've done 16,700 total with 7762 aerobic steps.

I went back to sleep this morning so nil pointe for me - but I'll catch up a bit later on. We have a supermarket trip coming on and that is always worth a few steps!

I was trying for 10,000 steps a day plus a decent walk at the weekend. I was getting there, but know today I overdid it going back to work yesterday (worked from home on Monday), so am not pushing for that at the moment. i want to get back on my bike so that I am up to a 40-50 mile ride towards the end of December (although that can be slow and steady with breaks).

Thank you, Yangtze, forbeing the co-ordinator of times etc.

My target is not really specific, it's just an on-going one, and that is to regain the mobility level I had before being nocked down by that car in March 2014. The pelvic cracks and fractured bertebrae healed but the long period of lack of exercise exposed the 'advanced degenerative condition, resulting in complete loss of hip joint space' which had not bothered me at all before because of the muscle strength. A good physio and regular practice of exercises, etc mean that the improvement is slow but sure.
My routine is as before - swim, gym, tap dancing, gym, walk, but at tap for instance, I can only hop on left foot if I hold on to the bar!! Walking to the gym used to take 15 minutes, now it is 20-25. I am using taxis more than I used to!

Yesterday, 1st, I did 1 hr 35 min.
Walk to, from, gym = 25 min x 2
Gym 45 min, half CV half strength

[ 02. November 2016, 06:55: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

No extra walking for me yesterday - slapped wrist. WW has it right about supermarkets - my local Sainsbury's adds up to at least a quarter of a mile per mooch, not counting the walk there and back.

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

Oh I do love a fitness thread and have just restarted Couch to 5K after a minor prolapsed disc over the summer b*ggered up one of my knees. I'm in. So my November goals are:

The first goal should be possible but might take a bit of application as my most convenient running days are back-to-back which doesn't allow the rest days in between that you are meant to do. The second should also be possible as it's less than my stepcount average for last month, but there were several (ie about 7) days on which I didn't manage it.

I got off to a good start by doing C25K week 2 run 1 in the gym last night and clocking up 13,943 steps walking to work and home from the gym.

The very existence of a fitness thread/race is usually enough to motivate me, so I should go and do my first perambulation of the corridors so start racking up those steps!

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

May I join in?
Target is about 30 minutes exercise (eg running) about 5 times per week. We will see how we go.

Wednesday 2nd: Walked to the station and later home. Total 30 min

Just under 3000 steps recorded today but it will be more than that as I don't count steps around the house.

It has been a beautiful autumn day here, and as it is my day off, I went for a (nice and flat) walk down to the coast. It took longer than it should have, because I kept stopping to take photos! But five miles done, and I am well over my 10,000 step target for the day.

1st Nov.: 11,500 steps
2nd Nov.: 16,000 steps

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I used a pedometer years ago, before the fancy linking to smart phone apps and data days. I ended up giving it up, because it didn't really motivate me.

What I found motivated me for activity is 2 things: build it into your day as routine, and/or make a social time as well. So I take the dog out in the morning for 45 mins at 6 a.m., cycle 35 mins each way to work summer and winter, play in an older adult soccer league (co-ed, no refs, though I have been injured by an aggressive youngster of about 50), and curl.

[tangent]
My personal history is of an arthritic diagnosis for which I'm on daily medication for almost 40 years. I must continue to take it, but have an injection of some rather expensive DNA thing monthly (arthritis is autoimmune in many cases) for these past 6 years and it has made things so much better.

My professional work has had much to do with health policies and programs. Right now, we're testing out a program where people on stress leaves from work, or having had a trauma, get daily access to a supervised exercise program, or occupational therapist accompanying on nature walks and similar. Both a place to go and activity. It makes a great difference to mental and psychological wellbeing say the preliminary data. The diagnoses that seem to benefit are depression, anxiety and "symptoms of trauma" or PTSD. There's the mindfulness of doing something that takes attention into the present, the social aspect of somewhere to go where people are kind, and whatever fitness gains contribute to mental health. -- motivation for this was some experience within our family 5 years ago. So far we have about 35 people through and two insurance companies funding it. I have been very excited about it. Hoping to spread it to the public health system.
[/tangent]

So if I may offer encouragement: increase both you physical and mental wellbeing with your fitness challenge!

[ 02. November 2016, 17:39: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

19459 steps, and 10445 of them "aerobic steps".

Not bad considering I've been classroom or meeting based all day and evening!

Well according to my fitbit I had 73 active minutes yesterday and walked 11,776 steps. The last 2,000 were gained by dancing round the kitchen to Bob ~Dylan's Thunder on the Mountain and then jogging to the pub for a swift half. The rest of the day was housework and going into London to meet friends. I did walk up the escalators though which felt like exercize

No extras yesterday either, but today is going to be much more energetic as I oscillate between split sites.

2nd Nov stepcount 9010, no running though.

I like to think that starting the christmas crafting counts for something, and I've still got enough time in the week to manage my three runs, just no leeway now!

Thursday 3rd: 1 hr 20 min
(50 min tap dancing - it's an hour-long class but changing the music and so on takes up some of the time!
30 min walk to town and home.)

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I'm feeling tired just thinking about tap-dancing for 50 minutes. I've never tried it, but it looks very energetic, and any kind of dancing tends to leave me completely knackered.

[Overused]

Yesterday just over 10,000 steps recorded but I also went out in the evening but didn't take my phone so it is really a bit more than that.

November 3rd - 14668 steps of which 5656 were aerobic steps. Lots of short bursts of moving around, but not much sustained walking.

Today involves cake...

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm feeling tired just thinking about tap-dancing for 50 minutes. I've never tried it, but it looks very energetic, and any kind of dancing tends to leave me completely knackered.

[Overused]

I hasten to point out that, when the music is fast, the most important aspect of my music player is the speed control!! There are pauses, varying from seconds to several minutes, thdepending on whether they aare between tracks or to change the disc. The dances themselves last one or two minutes. Learning them and going over and over steps are always part of the class.

I did my Thursday gyms session - yay, first in ages. Only the thought of reporting back here made me go.

I do five minute blocks of quite intense workout.

Lateral trainer
Treadmill
Weights
Lateral trainer
Cross trainer
Weights
Lateral trainer
Bike
Weights

Which adds up to 45 minutes

[Yipee]

3rd Nov - 7745 steps including some Scottish country dancing (but not enough to persuade me to take my jumper off, the hall was chilly!).

Today's plan includes a gym visit, so I ought to be able to run today and tomorrow to get my 3 runs in.

Yesterday I did just over 15,000 steps and had 93 'active' minutes, which included 53 minutes at a Zumba class.

Friday 4th: 1 hr 15 min

Walk to gym, 50 min at gym.

Just over 8,500 steps today by which time my feet were a bit sore from sandal straps rubbing on my variegated flesh - tomorrow a day off, I think.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
my feet were a bit sore from sandal straps rubbing on my variegated flesh
There's something to be said after all for wearing socks with sandals. [Razz]

[ 04. November 2016, 15:14: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

Woo hoo, aren't y'all doing well. Sorry for disappearing, busy week.

Here are everyone's targets:

Curiosity Killed... (maybe, health permitting) - 10,000 steps / day + walk at weekend + some cycling
Sarasa - 5,000+ steps per day + 1 fitness class & 1 swim per week
Japes - 15,000 steps per day of which 7,000+ to be aerobic steps (with one day / week 20,000 steps);
Belle Ringer - ???
Huia - ???
Welease Woderick - 12,000 steps per day, 5 days/week
SusanDoris - (no specific quantitative target - just to regain more mobility)
North East Quine - something outside every day (inside if weather bad)
Cottontail - steps per day
Boogie - gym 4 days/week (Su/M/Th/Sa)
Yangtze - 1 hr per day + 3 x week specific fitness thing (exercise class, canoeing, swim, run etc)
jacobsen work walking + min 1 mile /day
To The Pain - Complete 3 C25K runs each week + 6,000+ steps each day
blackbeard - 30 mins running 5 x / week

And now my update. I'm really thankful for this challenges as it's knowing you're all holding me to account forced me to get out walking after work rather than just jump on the bus home in order to get my daily hour in. Which I have managed to do. Just.

And then, even though it's raining today, I cycled my bike to the bike menders (for a service) and then walked 30 mins home IN THE RAIN just to get my time in.

Struggling to do the 3 x more hardcore sessions though - have signed up for outrigger training tomorrow which will be one of them but will have do something else on both Sunday and Monday to make three.

Nov. 3rd - 10,000 steps
Nov. 4th - 11,000 steps

I have been doing this for precisely eight days now, and have hit my target every day. I have never stuck at any exercise regime so long! [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Well done to all and good wishes for meeting your goals.

Slightly miffed with yesterday's totals, so took myself out for an extra walk this evening.

So, November 4th - 22800 steps with 10531 of them being aerobic steps! New work routine is racking up the steps quite nicely, but in a way that's maybe not decent exercise.

Steps this week according to my phone step counter. It isn't counting everything because I don't carry my personal phone around at work, just getting to and from work and maybe if I get out at lunchtime. I also was on my feet for over an hour at Guides on Wednesday night with the phone at the far side of the room:

Nov 1st - 6,500 (including some running, not)
Nov 2nd - 8,500
Nov 3rd - 7,000
Nov 4th - 10,693 (My phone step counter reckons I ran too for 286 steps. It lies)

I'm not sure where the running has come from, but the step counter occasionally decides I have been running when I haven't, just maybe walked faster for a bit.

Today was good, what with the split site and a 2 mile round trip to the centre.

Who knows what the weekend holds?

I managed 10,000 steps yesterday mainly due to walking to and from my class which is about a thirty minute walk each way. My weight is creeping up though so I need to watch that, but not today when my son is coming over and we're spening the evening cooking ourselves an Indian meal.

November 5th: 23736 steps of which 20518 were aerobic. Nothing like a brisk 6 mile walk to the day conference to get most of the day's steps in before 9.00 a.m.! (And to get the fidgets out of me before having to behave all day..)

Posted by Fineline (# 12143) on :

I would like to join in. My goal is to walk a total of 200,000 steps for the month of November.

My total so far is: 24,779.

Saturday 5th - nothing.
Sunday, 6th: 2 hrs 5 min

Walked as I usually do on a Sunday. Before op etc I used to do 5.5 miles in about 1 hr 45 min but now I'm doing 2.6 in an hour, then taking another hour to walk back about 1.7. Oh well, I'm lucky to be able to do that.

What the weekend held was 3hrs gardening and the walk to and from the centre. Today, an hour's gardening and no walk as some very, very cold November rain has begun. The back lawn is full of 6' plus hedge choppings. Much to large to be called trimmings.All taller than I am, as there was no trimming done for 2-3 years.

I have now invested in an incinerator as bagging up to take to the tip could be very time consuming indeed. And the garden refuse bags when full are enormous. I could only fit 5 max into my car, and there will be far, far more than 5....

Thus far.
Tuesday 1 November. 32 minutes running.
Wednesday. 33 minutes running and one hour "heavy gardening".
Thursday 36 minutes running.
Friday run to gym, gym, run back, about one hour total.
Saturday, fettling sailing club jetties, about 3 hours but as this wasn't all heavy aerobic I will only count one hour.
Sunday about 50 minutes walking and 30 minutes running.

Running total so far thus 6 hours and one minute (!).

Saturday 5th: 11,700 steps.
Sunday 6th: 10,800 steps.

Saturday was a lovely walk round a nature reserve, spotting red squirrels on the way. Today's plan to do similar was scuppered by unexpected guests, but I still managed a clamber across the fields at the back of my house, observed by some bemused sheep.

November 6th: 8604 steps with no aerobic ones... but I did two hours of housework which included going up and down step ladders!

Saturday just 3200 steps;
Sunday just over 2300 steps.

I do not presume to do any running steps, EVER!

Saturday - 11,300 odd steps. This included a couple of hours at my monthly circle dancing group. Not very vigourous exercize, but great fun, specially a dance where we were pretending to be honey bees.
Sunday - 18,500 steps which included a lovely walk round one of our local Royal Parks looking at the autumn colours with my husband and son.
I'm with WW where running is concerned. Apart from the occasional dash for a bus, it isn't sometime I do.

4th Nov - 11515 steps including a gym-based C25K week 2 run 2
5th Nov - 10479 steps including a Parkrun-based C25K week 2 run 3 (even without walking to the fireworks display as is was cancelled)
6th Nov - estimated 5528 steps as my pedometer went on the blink.

Sundays are hard for me to get steps in because we don't have far to walk to church and then most Sunday afternoons we go to visit our godson and his family and playing with toddlers doesn't necessarily involve that many steps. Thanks to this fitness race I went out for wee walks twice in the evening but for some reason my pedometer reset itself during the last one. I'd done 3388 steps before I went out so we guestimated.

Teaching a dance class tonight which isn't necessarily step-heavy, but is better if I remember to walk about with the class or have to dance to make up numbers.

Monday 7th: 1 hr 25 min

Fitted with heart monitor then 40 min CV at gym 25 min walk home, plus 20 min walk later

Monday 7th November: 20265 steps with 7002 steps being aerobic.

Be impressed, I'd done 11,000 or so steps at the end of the working day from Hell, but NO aerobic steps. So, I've discovered if I walk home via the supermarket for odds and ends, it's 7002 steps. [Smile]
Here's hoping today is a better day...

Friday 4th managed 10,500 including some at speed

Saturday 5th November nada, not a thing. I had tickets for a concert in the evening and as i started mentally chivvying myself into action it dawned on me that, no, I really don't have to do this, I have shingles and if I don't feel well enough I probably shouldn't be going.

Sunday 6th November - a pretty boring 3500 shopping for food. It wasn't the moat exciting day, lots of doing a bit then a little lie down because that's how crap I felt.

Yesterday, 8200 (back at work).

I'm just about managing to do the 1 hour of daily movement - albeit split up into some very short chunks some days - 5 mins to local shops, 5 mins to local station etc. But racked up 90 mins on bike yesterday (2 x 45 mins commuting). But really my aim is to get into the habit of a minimum of an hour each day rather than some days none and some days lots.

I managed two out of the three focused extra fitness sessions. Outrigger canoe training on Saturday and then 90 mins energetic gardening on Sunday. Lots stretching up and bending down and moving and lugging and digging. Filled three massive garden waste sacks.

Nov 7th - 6048 steps

Planning another run this evening and feeling very grateful for a workplace that heavily subsidises my gym membership.

Monday: 7719 steps
Tuesday: 11231 steps

Tuesday 8th: 30 min

Walk to town and back while I was still wearing the heart monitor!!

Right, so the first week is over, here's a round up as best as I am able...

Lost in Action North East Quine obviously went outside to do some exercise and hasn't come back in again; blackbeard is running round in circles somewhere, huia and Belle Ringer have gotten lost on their walks. Come on back to us chaps, it's not too late.

Gold Stars go to To the Pain who I think has kept to her targets (though I'm not quite sure if there were two or three C25K runs) including doing 6k+ steps every day. And to SusanDoris for doing something almost every day, meeting her target of getting more mobile again. And Cottontail did at least 10,000 steps each day (well not reported yet for yesterday but I'm assuming).

Woo Hoo, Well Done: - Japes fell just below her target of 15,000 steps a day on a couple of days but smashed the target for aerobic steps on six out of seven days and did over 20,000 steps not just once but three times. Sarasa has met her 5,000 steps a day walking target but I'm not sure how many gym visits happened. Yangtze hit the one hour a day walking/cycling target but is one down on something extra.

Keep It Going Welease Woderick you're a bit down on recorded steps from your aim of 12,000 a day. Suggest investing in a waterproof and some socks!! Jacobsen, yay for walking around campus, but not quite as many extra miles into town/to shops as you'd hoped for - though gardening probably made up for some of that. Curiosity Killed is still recovering so understandably steps are down a bit, how's the aim for more cycling going?

Welcome to Finelines - if you want to hit 200,000 steps by end of November then you'll probably have to do more than 24,000 in a week, unless you're planning some long hikes.

[Big Grin] and curtsies nicely.

I was quite proud of those aerobic steps this week!

Today, 8th November, has seen 16135 steps with 7232 of those being aerobic ones. (Looks like the 3 miles walk home from work does those 7000 aerobic steps nicely. AND I beat a bunch of supposedly fit young men walking up the hill which is the last mile home.)

Monday 7th: 11,200 steps
Tuesday 8th: 10,700 steps.

And I went out in the SNOW this evening. The SNOW.

Soory, I don't understand the jargon - what is this SNOW of which you speak?

[Razz]

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

Don't trouble your head, it has obviously blanked it as far too traumatic an experience.

Actually, it is just cold, damp and dank here today.

Jen

did over 18,000 steps on Monday which included a rather nice Nordic walk around Richmond Park. Only just over 8,000 yesterday, but I did swim 650 metres. Today was going to be given over to a long walk with my husband, but its dark and miserable so I might just go back to bed.

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Welcome to Finelines - if you want to hit 200,000 steps by end of November then you'll probably have to do more than 24,000 in a week, unless you're planning some long hikes.

Thanks Yangtze. I know I have to step it up, which is why I joined the challenge. I might not hit 200,000 by the end of November, but I figured it's more realistic than 10,000 steps a day, which I would have failed already! [Big Grin]

On Monday I did 6,468 steps.
On Tuesday I did 7,330 steps.

My total so far is 38,577.

Tuesday 8 November - 6,782 (rolled home from work at 10:30pm with no energy for anything extra)
Wednesday 9 November - 12,062 - apparently that includes 56 steps running, not sure how. Different site for work, walk up and back to Guides at the Scout Hut.

(GP wanted to sign me off sick to now, so I am allowed to still feel wiped out, aren't I?)

Yes, CK, you are allowed to feel wiped out!

9th November - 23078 steps of which 14698 were aerobic.

Wednesday 10th: 40 min

Walk to town and back

Thursday 11th: 55 min

Tap dancing

Sorry for being MIA. My goal (which I didn't post) was an hour's exercise a day. I haven't been very good at keeping this up [Disappointed]

Yesterday though I looked at my messy garden and did half an hour's heavy weeding when I got home. This, added to my walking, gave me over an hour in total. [Yipee]

Thanks Yangtze for the gentle nudge.

Huia

My phone has counted me at 9,846 steps today, which I am going to count as 10,000 achieved as I wasn't carrying my phone around in work and have been up and down the stairs at least 10 times today (carrying a pile of three chairs up and then down again at one point).

Weds 9th: 13,000 steps
Thurs 10th: 10,500 steps

I have just got in from a late night stroll (10pm), as I was short of my target by a good 3000 steps and didn't think I'd make that up dodging about the house. I have been very unmotivated today, but knowing I had to report to you all gave me that extra push out the door.

The moon is bright and the stars are shining. [Smile]

Wednesday - 10518 steps
Thursday - 1907 [isn't that the year Uncle Pete was born?] steps.

The good news is that the rash seems to be leaving my ankles so this morning I am going to try a slightly longer walk and see if they can stand it.

10th November - 15987 steps, of which 8807 were aerobic.

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Thursday - 1907 [isn't that the year Uncle Pete was born?] ...

Now, now, WW ... [Big Grin]

It's only 4.25 pm here but I can't see me doing much more today.

I have done 5 hours gardening, with Georgie-Porgy keeping me company.

I am now going to soak myself in a bubble bath, and hope I have enough energy to get out of it again.

Huia

Wednesday: 816 steps
Thursday: 15,767 steps

Total so far: 55,160 steps

Friday 11th: 1 hr 15 min

Walk roundabout way to gym, plus CV there.

Wednesday 9th - 600m swim, an hour playing badminton (I hadn't picked up my raquet in ten years so that was fun) and just over 10,000 steps. Yesterday 15,000+ steps inclduing an hour of zumba.

11th November - 21685 steps of which 12459 were aerobic.

Friday 11th November - 12,052 steps

Friday - 13676 steps
Saturday - 21524 steps as I had to go to town a second time today!

Woo hoo, go WW.

You guys here rock. Knowing I would have to post here I cycled to work in the rain on Wednesday and got out and did a walk today in very dreich weather.

So I've just about managed to do my one hour a day. The 3 x extra exercise though still isn't really happening, can't seem to get my mojo for it.

I must admit the weekly feedback is helping to keep me at it!

Friday 11th: 11,300 steps
Saturday 12th: 13,000 steps

A nice 4 mile walk round a lake today. I am discovering all the local (flat!) pathways.

Saturday 12th: 0 min!
Sunday, 13th: 1 hr 10 min

Walked - lovely morning.

12th November - 22471 steps of which 13890 were aerobic.

It's a beautiful afternoon here, and my duties for the day all complete, and as I have no aerobic steps yet today, (4000 ordinary ones, though) I am off out to remedy that one!)

Sunday a scant 5930 steps.

Back to discipline in the morning, I think.

I did 12,000 steps on Friday and over 15,000 so far today (We went for a walk looking at the wonderful colours in Richmond PArk0. Only 8,000 odd yesterday, but it was a horrible wet day.
We're off tomorrow for a few days holidayto Prague, so I'll report back when we return. We do tend to end up walking lots when we go to new places - I remember seeing most of the major sites in Rome in an evening when we first went there-so it will be interesting to see how far we do walk each day.

Continuing:
Monday 7 November: run to swimming pool, swim, run (sort of) back; 1 hour.
Tuesday: day devoted to boat maintenance and choir practice, nothing which could be called energetic.
Wednesday: run (not necessarily in circles) 32 minutes.
Thursday: another 32 minute run, plus about 10 minutes of an exercise routine.
Friday: boat scrub between tides. Some will recognise that this is a muddy and occasionally strenuous occupation but strenuousness is not well enough defined to count.
Saturday: choir rehearsal followed by performance, kept me busy (!) but I can't claim as aerobic exercise.
Sunday: rehearsal and service with scratch church choir which also doesn't count but a subsequent 54 minute run does.
Which gives us a total of 3 hours and 8 minutes for this week.

17,791 steps according to my phone - 7.1 miles

Remembrance Parade, round the Paul Nash exhibition then walk down the Thames from Tate Britain to St Paul's.

Today - walked up a small hill - 1 hour

Friday: 4,434 steps
Saturday: 6,472 steps

Total so far: 66,066

(I probably won't reach 200,000 steps in November, but I'm okay with that - I was more just coming up with a number to motivate me to walk more often. I have an annoying medical condition where if I do too much exercise I get unwell and can't exercise, but if I don't do enough, my tolerance threshold for exercise gets lower. So I need to be doing some physical activity every day but not too much, and I'm trying to find the best balance. I'm happy with how I'm doing this month so far.)

Monday 14th: 55 min

Shops and back, plus 25 min swimming

13th November - 18207 steps, of which 12746 were aerobic.

14th November - 19024 steps, of which 8535 steps were aerobic.

[Big Grin]

Sunday 13th: 10,100 steps
Monday 14th: 10,200 steps

These last two days have been a bit of a struggle, not helped by the cold and rain. I got very wet indeed yesterday evening! But I got there. Just.

...whereas I chickened out this morning as it was raining but should manage a few steps later when I have to walk from one end of the town to the other - some people take the bus for one or two stops, something I just can't figure.

Yesterday [Monday] 16503 steps.

Monday 14 November - 12,791 steps

Rain. Walking doesn't happen. Time to pull out the stationery bike.

Monday 14 November - no walking, I was cold and shaking, which I later realised was shock from the previous night's quake and having to evacuate in case of a tsunami.

Tuesday - Nordic walking- fast for about half an hour because I thought I was late for an appointment (I wasn't [Yipee] ).

Huia - shaken, not stirred - like a martini.

Tuesday 15th: 1 hr 30 min
Walk to/from gym, plus time there.
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Monday 14 November - 12,791 steps

May I ask how much time that takes, or how far is the distance walked, please? I have absolutely no idea how the number of steps relates to anything! [Smile]

SusanDoris, I think it depends how long people's legs and strides are, but for me, 10,000 steps seems to be around 4 and a half miles. People measure in steps because there are lots of apps that count your steps when you put your phone in your pocket.

Ys, my pace is about 65 cms so 10,000 paces is about 6.5 kms.

10,000 steps, for me, is 4.2 miles or 6.75 kilometres. I have a pedometer which counts the steps for me which is set to my average pace.

Today I have walked 7007 steps according to my phone which it says is 2.8 miles and took me 1:03:09 - not entirely convinced by the time.

15th November - 17606 steps of which 8704 were aerobic.

Monday: 9,670 steps
Tuesday: 10,301 steps

Total so far: 86,037 steps

(My app doesn't tell me miles or time. I guess I walk about four and a half miles when I do 10,000 steps, because I know the rough distance of the places I go to.)

My thanks for all the above info on steps, times and distances.

I have a question too. When people are saying some of their steps are aerobic - isn't all walking an aerobic exercise?

Wednesday 16th: 45 min

Shops and back.

Set out for a 45 min walk and it turned into a 3 hour stroll.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

Did my twice or thrice weekly workout at the YMCA this morning, on the rowing machine, treadmill, track, weights etc. Am now physically and mentally knackered and convinced that my life has been shortened by it. That's precisely two years of it as of this week, and the medics are all so happy and pleased with me. They are killing me!

Tuesday 15th: 10,200
Weds 16th: 10,100

I've hit a real half-way slump this week. Am making my target, but only just. I couldn't face going back outside yesterday, but managed to make up my last 3000 steps by boogying around while doing the housework. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
I have a question too. When people are saying some of their steps are aerobic - isn't all walking an aerobic exercise?

I am using a pedometer to record my steps. It has two ways of doing this. The larger amount is the total number of steps whilst I've been wearing the pedometer.

The "aerobic steps" is how it describes the way it records the number of steps I've walked in a reasonably brisk way for a minimum of 10 minutes continuously.

I can easily do 7000 steps, or 3 miles, on most working days just by moving around the campus, but because most of that is in 5 minutes (at most) stints it doesn't come up on the "aerobic steps" count. Whilst I'm obviously reasonably active during the working day, it's not enough to help my fitness. Hence the challenge to myself to walk 7000 aerobic steps a day. (Which is about 3 miles of reasonably brisk walking with no breaks.) It happens to be my walking commute to work, and I'm trying to walk either to or from work as many days as is reasonable. Some days, I do both directions. Some days, it's not practical.

Wednesday 16 November - 11,700* (somewhere round there), including walk in the Forest in the dark with Guides - which was fewer steps than I thought it might be.

I don't carry my personal phone around in work so I don't get the 5 minute bursts, just the walks to and from stations or out at lunch time. But they are no more than a mile of brisk walking at a time, admittedly carrying a fairly heavy backpack.

I tried posting this last night on new toy and it hasn't posted and I can only be really accurate on the day (a 10" tablet with keyboard).

November 16th. 17232 steps of which 7114 were aerobic.

Thursday 17 November - 10,898 + 713 after midnight = 11,611

Low figures as I'm away but here you go:

Tuesday 15th: 9757 steps
Wednesay 16th: 3425 steps [long walks on trains get a bit repetitive]
Thursday 17th: 6731 steps

November 17th - 16230 steps of which 7197 were aerobic.

Kind colleagues would be horrified to learn over 6000 steps were done after they bought me home from Parents Evening. " You can't walk home at this time of night." I can, really, I can. But, for the sake of peace, I let them bring me home, then went out for those last 6000...

Apologies for disappearing and not cheering folk on and for the delay in posting a summary. W*rk has been a bit full on.

I'm going to do this as a weekly summary as several people had challenges of x amount per week. So here's how we were all doing Tues 8th - Mon 14th November.

Lost and Found Belle Ringer, Boogie and To the Pain have gotten lost. Jacobsen made a brief appearance and then disappeared. But praise be our missing brethren NE Quine, blackbeard and Huia have been found and returned to the fold.

Gold Stars
Japes totally smashed her targets - hitting three rather than two days of more than 20k steps, more than 10k daily of which every day well more than 7k were aerobic.
Cottontail hit her target of 10k steps every day.

Woo Hoo, Well Done (but Keep on Going)
Curiosity Killed didn't quite manage 10k steps per day plus extra cycling. But for someone who should've been signed off sick there was a pretty good daily step count.
Sarasa was doing well on beating 5k steps a day but then has clearly had Real Life so hasn't reported in for a while
Yangtze (thats me!) managed 1 hour of something (walking,cycling) every day but totally failed on the 3 x something extra. Keep me at it people.
Welease Woderick upped his steps from week one but still not quite managing 12k a day, though there was an impressive 21k in there one day
blackbeard I think ran twice rather than his target five times, but there was some other energetic stuff going on. Hope to see some more of the running shoes going forward.
Fineline got out and got moving on at least three days
SusanDoris did well on her target of moving more, I think I just have a couple of days missing
huia did a bit of walking and some epic gardening - 5 hours is very impressive, gardening is exhausting. Now to focus on that 1 hour a day target.

I've just realised that excuses so far have included monsoon and earthquakes. Cor.

Knowing that someone is very kindly keeping a record of what we are all doing definitely makes working towards fitness much more interesting I think.

Today, Friday, 18th, 1 hr 40 min

Walked to and from gym plus an extra to/from town.

I'm back, after a few days holidaying in Prague. I managed at least 10,000 steps a day with over 20,000 on two fo the days. There's a lot to be said for being in a strange city where you don't know the transport system and you want to see the area anyway for racking up steps.

Thank you for my Gold Stars. [Big Grin]

I have a feeling a week where I've been doing three people's worth of work all week has contributed to my steps total. (This will be the case for the next two weeks as well...)

Today, November 18th, the totals are - 17562 steps of which 8423 are aerobic.

An idiosyncrasy of the pedometer is that if you stop doing the continuous walking, it stops counting "aerobic steps". However, if you start again, it waits 10 minutes before adding the new total! So, I had 6933 aerobic steps when I arrived home from work so made myself go out for a quick walk to the local shops which got another 1490 on to that total.

Thursday 17th: 10,300 steps
Friday 18th: 11,000 steps

Thank you for my gold star too - though I am fairly plodding in Japes' wake. [Big Grin]

Friday 18 November - just under 13,000 steps - it counted me in at 13,701, but 713 of those were around midnight on my way home from the theatre on Thursday night.

Much added to by the severe delays on the Central Line - it was suspended through the centre of town and running a shuttle service outside. The platform where we were all dumped for the next shuttle was getting dangerously crowded so I followed the suggestion to find a bus, only to see a queue sufficient to fill several buses and only one route going where I needed to go. I decided it was quicker to walk from Leytonstone to Maryland - which is a couple of miles 2.4 miles according to Google Maps, 1.6 miles according to my phone mapping and 2.4 miles according to the phone step counter. Phone mapping told me it would take 43 minutes when I set out and I managed it in under half an hour, so it was brisk.

Nothing today - just walked a few yaards from friend's car into garden centre café!
from the sound of the weather forecast, it looks as if tomorrow will be a nil effort day too!

I am declaring today's numbers early-ish as I am going to have a bath and slump with one of the 6 books I got 8 miles into the 15 miles done today, but in steps terms...

November 19th, 35388 steps of which 31353 were aerobic.

As it's World Toilet day, I visited 5 different toilets along the way (2 churches, 2 supermarkets and 1 caffeine emporium).

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
November 19th, 35388 steps ...

Wow. That is all. [Overused]

Saturday 19 November - 10,397 + 1,641 after midnight = 12,038

This thread is making me do more. I walked from the Barbican (RSC production of Cymbeline) to Liverpool Street to up my steps yesterday as the chores in town and trip over to the Barbican weren't enough.

This is the first Saturday I've been able to do anything other to sleep to recover from the week.

Sunday, 20th: 45 min

The wind dropped, the sun came out, and although it went in again, I did a round the town walk, so was really pleased to be able to get out.

November 20th, 15,300 steps of which 10,564 were aerobic.

And that neatly took me past the next milestone in my year long challenge to walk 2000 miles. It was 1000, but I did that by mid-August. This Ship Challenge has been great for keeping me well on course in that without getting bored.

Saturday 19th: 10,500 steps
Sunday 20th: 17,000 steps (go me!)

Japes - I'm seriously impessed at 35,000 steps. How long did that take? It took me all day last week to get to not quite 25,000 and I thought at the time it isn't something I could do on a 'normal' day.
I had a very lazy week 8,000ish steps on Saturday 7,000ish on Sunday. Must try harder this week.

On Saturday, I left home at 9.00 p.m. and was back just after 5.00 p.m. I reckon it was five hours of actual walking.

I did have a leisurely solitary lunch stop and afternoon catch-up with friends at a church craft fayre (a church I used to attend and still have very good links with. I do try to go to their social stuff and an occasional service if I'm not needed for organ playing at my church. Or the occasional funeral or wedding if they need my organ playing as their organist is unavailable.)

I have been aiming to walk at least 10 miles (or over 20,000 steps) on one weekend day for a while now, and every now and then if I've nothing else urgent to do, just keep going... Saturdays being better for this than Sundays.

17 Nov - two brisk 30 min walks
18 Nov - 2 hour stroll
19 Nov - 2 hour walk
20 Nov - brisk 30 min walk
21 Nov - 10 mins vigorously scraping ice off car windows (does that count? It ought to! I am aglow with cold and effort)

I disappeared, but I was thinking of you all and the fitness race motivated me to get out and top up my steps on a number of days when I would rather have stayed inside! Here's my entire month so far, because it's not always easy to see where everything happened otherwise:

Which means I have only missed my 6k steps target twice (and one of those days I spent in my bed recovering from a very late finish after a dance the night before) and the C25K runs are happening every week. I hope to be a bit better about posting for the rest of the month, but just knowing the race was here has helped. I even did some non-Parkrun outside running, which I would never have thought possible without the C25K podcasts. To be honest, the running is all a bit novel. I don't enjoy it, but I think I might enjoy having done it!

Monday 21st: 25 min swimming

November 21st - 18783 steps of which 9380 were aerobic.

I was away at the weekend and my figures are pretty abysmal but they are what they are - back to early morning walking tomorrow, I hope.

18th November: 5772 steps
19th November: 6434 steps
20th November: 1961 steps
21st November: 5061 steps

Tuesday, 22nd: 50 min at gym.

There's a lurgy going 'round and I have an inexplicably sore shoulder, but I'm still hoping to manage a run tonight. Mere existence of a Fitness Race mightbe enough to get me to the gym if it's still raining.

Monday 21st = 10,400 steps
Tuesday 22nd = 10,200 steps

I am determined to get to the end of the month with target achieved every day. Though I may collapse on the sofa on 1st December and not move for the next twelve hours.

Lurgy here too - walking from car to Dr and back is hardly impressive! Figures later.

November 22nd. 16579 steps of which 7618 were aerobic (And 1000 were done in a challenge to my self to create a stair challenge. After which my legs ached!!)

Only 7,693 steps on Monday and 6,960 yesterday. I did swim 650 metres yesterday though, and managed to swim each 100 metres about 10 seconds faster than my last swim.

So much for that run last night, I made it home after work and all I was good for was curling up and trying to balance a hot water bottle in the right place. Fortunately that seemed to work and by the middle of the night I was able to roll over in bed without gasping in pain and today seems much more comfortable (managed to dress myself without assistance too). Got baking to do tonight which will gain me a few steps and if I choose something that will be in the oven for a wee while I might even manage a run from the door too.

Japes, thanks for the clarification about aerobic steps. Mine is quite a simple app and has walking and running - I guess running is when it detects faster/bigger motion, because if I jump on my mini trampoline it counts it as running. But brisk steps it just counts as walking.

Wednesday 16th: 12,267 steps
Thursday 17th: 14,100 steps
Friday 18th: 4,880 steps
Tuesday 22nd: 10,428 steps

Total so far: 127,712 steps

November 23rd - 15595 steps of which 7613 were aerobic.

There would've been more but I made the foolish error of getting on a bus before I realised how gridlocked my bus route home was. 1 hour 15 minutes on a bus to do a distance I could've walked in 15 minutes, with bored children and later on anxious parents banging on the bus door to get their children out at a non-bus stops, with a drive who refused to open doors except at a bus stop. Correct, but unhelpful on a day traffic was that bad.

I got off and walked the last two miles home, but I might've made all my evening commitments if I'd not got on the bus in the first place... Ah well, a lazy evening in once I got in was probably more beneficial.
[Big Grin]

Thursday, 24th: 50 min

tap, plus walk to and from coffee afterwards.

I did the baking and didn't do the run. I should probably run tonight before tea. Get out there and brave the cold. It's only 3 5-minute runs after all.

Hmmph - overdid it on Saturday

Sunday - 4,261 - 1,641 = 2,620 (essential supermarket shop)
Monday 21 November - 6,750 (from the graph)
Tuesday 22 November - 9,500 (from the graph)
Wednesday 23 November -10,000 (and I didn't take the phone out for my lunchtime sprint - which became much faster than intended when a kid absconded)
Thursday 24 November - 6,844

Weds 23rd =10,200 steps.
Thurs 24th = 10,200 steps.

It's been interesting noticing the change in my level of fitness. I haven't lost any weight, alas, but I am definitely puffing less, and am walking faster much faster. Feels good.

November 24th - 18057 steps of which 10257 were aerobic.

8,110 steps on Wednesday which included a 'body pump' class. Not much moving about, but a lot of lifting of weights,
Yesterday 12,101 steps. I walked home from the supermarket (just over a mile) and then swept the drive, two things I wouldn't have done if I wasn't determiend to make a better show on this challenge!

Friday, 25th: 55 min

Gym - taxied to and from, as I felt a bit light-headed this morning.

Not the best recently.
Since last post assorted gym, running, walking; about 9 hours total.
Thus running total, including previous posts, is now 18 hours and 9 minutes for the month so far.

Today, 15,357 steps, including 110 running, which might be true, ran for a train at one point, unsuccessfully.

November 25th - 18528 steps of which 12303 were aerobic.

Catching up a bit now I am virtually lurgy-free:

22nd November: 2811 steps
23rd November: 1826 steps
24th November: 7113 steps
25th November: 17134 steps!

Saturday, 26th: 40 min

to town, around and home from.

Saturday 26th 30,898 - it would have been marginally less had I not been confused by a) where I arrived in Edinburgh at 6am off the sleeper bus - the usual bus station is being redeveloped - and b) me needing to be more awake to bully my phone mapping system to accept the address I meant not the one it was convinced I should want. Today's walking included some chunks of the Forth-Clyde canal, and we meant to walk a bit of the Union Canal, but a section was closes for the annual clean up. We saw the Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel, sadly out of action for the same clean.

I have been doing more than I have posted, but not as much as I had planned, and not nearly as much as the enthusiasts here.

One thing that helped was reading a report by NZ scientists about timing of exercise for diabetics, and their research based recommendation about the beneficial effect of even 10 - 15mins after the evening meal. It does wonder for mental clarity.

Huia

November 26th - 30734 steps of which 23488 were aerobic.

Huia, I've been testing that research about exercise after the evening meal out as well. I'd been trying to make all my walking in the week connected to my commuting, and I based my targets of 15,000 steps, with 7,000 aerobic ones around what I did on those walks, with the aim of not giving up on walking to and from work as much as is practical on the dark nights and mornings.

However, it's definitely better for my blood sugars if I do some walking (half an hour to an hour works best for me) once I've eaten in the evening.

I managed over 10,837 steps on Friday mainly due to walking to and from my writing class and 20,561 yesterday, most of which were done walking along the Thames.

Our local leisure centre, which is five minutes walk from my house, had a Black Friday offer of a third off all inclusive membership for a year which I've taken up, I also got an extra 10% off as I'm over sixty. Even if I only did one class and one swim a week, which is what I've been doing anyway it works out cheaper, but I intend to make use of their gym as well, starting with a meeting with a personal trainor on Tuesday.

Sunday, 27th: 50 min

Walked 2.6 miles and I'm quite pleased with the time taken going down just a fraction each week, even though this means my fitness time total is slightly reduced! [Smile]

Friday 25th = 10,200 steps
Saturday 26th = 10,400 steps

Sunday 27 November 14,275

It would have been further had Stirling not been so steep. Having relocated my daughter's knee, tibia, fibia, both ankles and feet bones (ED) the previous evening, not to mention all the arm and wrist bones, she wasn't keen on climbing up to the top of the town again on the Treasure Trail we were following.

November 26th - 15473 steps of which 11071 were aerobic.

Monday 28th - nothing at all. Frustrating day: apt 10:30 at Bournemouth Hospital, transport didn't arrive until 11:45. However, they did contact the hospital in plenty of time to tell them I'd be late. Was seen at about midday, then had to wait another two hours for transport home!!! I'm entitled to it because of the blindness. So of course I had to miss swimming this afternoon. *sigh* [Smile]

Well, there had to be one slip-up. Yesterday I ended up managing a crisis, and then crawled onto my sofa and stayed there. So:

Sunday 27th = 6000 steps
Monday 28th = 10,200 steps

26th November: 10192 steps
27th November: 2917 steps
28th November: 12358 steps

I normally take both Saturday and Sunday off from a planned walk but I had a few days off last week with lurgy so walked Saturday anyway.

Monday 28 November - 10,457

The things I did that are making my muscles tell me they worked are putting some lockers together to fit under the stairs and redoing two notice boards with all the jumping on and off chairs to reach.

November 28th - 16388 steps of which 7758 were aerobic.

Hmmmm - the puppy has put my fitness programme out of flunter - unless you count lifting a nine Kg weight 100 times a day [Big Grin]

I need to find a way to fit in four trips to the gym. Thinking cap is on ...

Sunday - Just over 10,000 steps and an 800 metre swim
Monday - Over 15,500 steps including a brisk nordic walk.

Yangtze - how are you doing?

Tuesday, 29th: 1 hr 20 min

Taxi to gym, walked back via shops.
The fire alarm went off at the gym - apparently there was a gas leak so everyone had to go to assembly point. One of the instructors guided me out. fortunately, whatever the problem was it was sorted out but in the meantime staff brought out those foil blankets to keep us warm! I was hoping to bring it home as a souvenir, but don't think I could have squashed it into my back pack.
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Sunday - Just over 10,000 steps and an 800 metre swim
Monday - Over 15,500 steps including a brisk nordic walk.

Yangtze - how are you doing?

I wish I could do that Nordic walking. May I ask what sort of ground were you walking on? Do the sticks get stuck at all? Do they aid your balance?

Having got rid of that really painful shoulder-blade knot I'm back on track with the C25K runs and managed the first 20 minute run last night without stopping. Dripped sweat all over the treadmill, but I did it. Next major challenge will be week 7 when I will have to run for 25 minutes on three separate days in a much warmer climate!

* I achieved a personal best and it turns out that at the moment, when I've got a plan to focus on (I did week 5, run 2 on the way out and an inverted week 1 on the way back) I am only fractionally slower than a very distractable alsatian.

** Probably not a single aerobic step amongst them, just a walk to my dance class concert, then from there into and around town. I even got a lift home.

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Weds 23rd =10,200 steps.
Thurs 24th = 10,200 steps.

It's been interesting noticing the change in my level of fitness. I haven't lost any weight, alas, but I am definitely puffing less, and am walking faster much faster. Feels good.

It is interesting, isn't it? I've not lost any weight either (though I could stand to do so) but I can now run for far longer periods of time than I would have attempted before and there's much less puffing involved. Still rather red of face regardless!

SusanDoris said:

quote:
I wish I could do that Nordic walking. May I ask what sort of ground were you walking on? Do the sticks get stuck at all? Do they aid your balance?
I was walking in our local Royal Park so managed woodland sort of terrain, some up and downhill bits and some rougher areas, but mostly fairly safe underfoot.
I don't find the poles get stuck, but then I tend to only go out when the weather is dry. I did trip over the poles and go flat on my face the first time I did it though.
I do it with an instructor which is good, so maybe find one local to you if you fancy gicing it a try.

I've heard people complain that they haven't lost any weight after taking on an exercise regime, and I understand the explanation is that muscle is heavier than fat, and you're turning one into the other.

You'll maybe find that even if the scales aren't terribly encouraging, the buttons on your trousers might be ... [Big Grin]

Today - 8,676 steps

(and in the much bigger building with lots of walking round it while my phone sat in the office)

My walking trousers were noticeably looser on yesterday morning - not as loose as I want, but getting there

[ 29. November 2016, 22:31: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

November 29th - 15012 steps of which 7274 were aerobic.

Yet another day's goal achieved by a quick walk after tea motivated by 'got to post it on the Fitness Race'. So thank you all for your mere existence, but also the encouragement!

As the month winds down I'm trying to think about my goals for next month (I've become one of these terrible people who uses a Bullet Journal and colours in little squares each day for good habits). I will be doing a lot of travelling so I think I will up the daily stepcount but a lot of the other things I try to keep accountable for just aren't relevant in a campervan on the other side of the world. Hmm, this will take some thought.

Wednesday, 30th: 40 min
To town, around and home. I could have decided not to go, but fitness months certainly promote action.

Sarasa
Many thanks for your reply. I did try to find a local instructor and left a message on an answerphone, but no response. I think I'll try again.

Piglet

I'm sorry to disappoint [Smile] but I think you'll find it is not true that fat turns into muscle. This is of course a very annoying piece of info!

[ 30. November 2016, 12:07: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

Wednesday 30 November - 11,613 steps (it includes 56 steps running!)

Wednesday 30th November. 19015 steps of which 8199 were aerobic.

I know I've not lost weight this month at all, but the comments have started up again along the lines of "Have you lost more weight?" and at least two students have commented my T-shirts are too big this week. I have pointed out I don't wear my new smaller T-shirts in the messy working environment I find myself back in.

I think the 7000 aerobic steps part my my challenge has been really helpful, and that those are the most useful walking steps I do, in terms of fitness. I've certainly speeded up. My walk to/from work is now in the 50 minute area, and was an hour when I first started doing it back in January on a once or twice a week basis. Now I walk home most nights, and to work once or twice a week.

I've walked 240.8 miles this month, for those for whom that measurement makes more sense than the grand total of 567832 steps of which 318427 were aerobic. That's according to my spreadsheet which may have a few more steps recorded if I forgot to take the pedometer off when I returned home for the end of the day. Aerobic steps are as recorded here, as once I'm home for the night, I don't walk briskly enough for long enough around the house to get those recording more!

Now, just to get my 2000 miles for the year challenge completed by January 5th, and I will be a most content, if somewhat exhausted by all this walking, Japes. (Currently standing at 1778.9 miles.)

Tuesday 29th = 15,800 steps
Wednesday 30th = 11,200 steps

So all done. Good challenge. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Piglet

I'm sorry to disappoint [Smile] but I think you'll find it is not true that fat turns into muscle. This is of course a very annoying piece of info!

Oh bother. Not that I've been doing anything remotely exercise-ish anyway (although I know I should).

Well done to all of you though - I'm very impressed with all your efforts! [Overused]

29th November: 10178 steps
30th November: 12741 steps

Good fun, well done everyone.

Nephew Person has taken to walking with me the last few days - a very different body type and at the beginning of the walk every day I feel I am holding him back but by halfway through roles are reversed - but he still has energy to jog a bit when we are nearly home!

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
Huia, I've been testing that research about exercise after the evening meal out as well. I'd been trying to make all my walking in the week connected to my commuting, and I based my targets of 15,000 steps, with 7,000 aerobic ones around what I did on those walks, with the aim of not giving up on walking to and from work as much as is practical on the dark nights and mornings.

However, it's definitely better for my blood sugars if I do some walking (half an hour to an hour works best for me) once I've eaten in the evening.

Sorry, I've only just caught up with this. I got my best results doing half an hour's outside work after tea, including trying to sweep dirt off the driveway, so I suspect 10 minutes walking may be insufficient for me too, but I will continue to monitor it.

Huia

Blackbeard reporting in with November's totals which are:
time spent on aerobic exercise 19 h 56 m
and distance covered running/walking (measured on ground) 69 miles.
Blackbeard's crew regard this as a bit unimpressive.

Wednesday 23rd: 4,812 steps
Thursday 24th: 7,936 steps
Friday 25th: 4,198 steps
Saturday 26th: 8,625 steps
Monday 28th: 16,508 steps
Tuesday 29th: 9,627 steps
Wednesday 30th: 12,585 steps

Total steps for November 2016: 192,003 steps

Slightly less than my goal of 200,000 steps, but I'm happy with it, as it achieved the goal I was aiming at, which was to walk most days, for a moderate amount. On Monday I overdid it a bit and didn't feel too well the next day, but that was the only time in the challenge that this happened.

Feels like a very successful Fitness Race for me too - I only missed my step target on 3 occasions and I managed 13 C25K runs, which is only 1 down from completion. I also managed my secret target-I'm-actually-aiming-for-but-not-admitting-to of 7k steps a day 25 days out of 30 and managed to move my average stepcount from 7,826 in October to 9,310 in November.

So my own personal December fitness goals are to make it to 10K steps every day - it's a similar leap to the Oct/Nov change and I won't be at work most of the month so there shouldn't be as much forced sitting - and to continue to do 3 Couch to 5K runs each week. As I'm travelling to a warmer climate I'm not going to commit to them being weeks 7, 8 and 9 though [Biased]

Thanks for being Fitness Race buddies everyone, the accountability is really helpful and I love hearing what everyone's been getting up to to achieve their goals!

Tuesday - 9,760 steps and 40 minutes in the gym
Wednesday - 11,785 steps.

The gym session which was a session with a personal trainor was the only time in the month where I felt I might have overdone it. I decided yesterday was going to be a lazy day but after racking up a few steps Christmas shopping I decided to take the scenic route to the post office to collect a parcel to get over the 10,000.

I managed my targets mostly. i didn't do a class or swim the week I was on holiday, but as I walked over 20,000 steps on two of the days I was away I think that's a good substitute.

Thanks for suggesting the challenge Yangtzz, I hope to build on it in the coming months. This month I'm going to try and make sure I do 10,000 steps a day.

quote:
... Total steps for November 2016: 192,003 steps

Slightly less than my goal of 200,000 steps ...

If November had been a 31-day month, you'd have made it. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... Total steps for November 2016: 192,003 steps

Slightly less than my goal of 200,000 steps ...

If November had been a 31-day month, you'd have made it. [Big Grin]
Yes, that's true - I did 10,494 steps on 1 December. [Smile]

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

Well done, everyone. I haven't been joining in, but have been inspired by your achievements, and have requested a fitbit for Christmas to get me going!

Sorreeee for going MIA. Real life intervened and this is the first time I've been on the Ship in well over a week. (And it's gone 10pm here and I've only just stopped working.)

I haven't had a chance to read through properly yet but it sounds as if people have been doing good summaries themselves of what they've managed to achieve in the month. If I get a chance later this week I'll do a final sum up.

My own exercise tailed off the last 10 days but this Challenge has been really good for me and I'm really glad so many of you joined me and found it useful. Yay for us, getting out and getting moving.

Yangtze

Thank you very much for starting this thread. I look forward to seeing a summing up of what we have all done. It is a great motivator on a day when there is no actual necessity to do something! [Smile]

© Ship of Fools 2016