Thread: George Michael R.I.P. Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030620

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

I was never into his music, but he deserves an RIP thread. And some critics are cerrainly suggesting that his music and lyrics were not syrup, but subtle subversion in the Thatcherite, Reaganite days of anti-gay, pure white, dog eat dog days.

May he rest in the peace that I sense his life never provided.

RIP.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I recall "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" and nothing else of his music. The video resembled a milk commercial, and he looked every bit a clean cut Disney boy. Too young for a heart attack. Tough time of year to go.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

He wasn't really on my radar, until his recurring cameos on the TV series "Eli Stone". He'd show up in Eli's visions and perform. [Smile]

Light and peace to him. [Votive]

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

The CBC National News this evening, in reporting George Michael's death, paid extensive attention to the degree of his philanthropy. I don't remember everything mentioned, but, e.g., ca. £2m to the Terrence Higgins Trust, $8,000 tip to a barmaid who was deeply in debt studying nursing, anonymous volunteering at a woman's shelter, some huge sum to a children's aid line in the UK. A few others escape my memory. It was all quite impressive.

I was never a fan of his music, but he seems to have left the world better than he found it. Or, at least he tried.

[Votive]

Posted by Dennis the Menace (# 11833) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
The CBC National News this evening, in reporting George Michael's death, paid extensive attention to the degree of his philanthropy. I don't remember everything mentioned, but, e.g., ca. £2m to the Terrence Higgins Trust, $8,000 tip to a barmaid who was deeply in debt studying nursing, anonymous volunteering at a woman's shelter, some huge sum to a children's aid line in the UK. A few others escape my memory. It was all quite impressive.

I was never a fan of his music, but he seems to have left the world better than he found it. Or, at least he tried.

[Votive]

Nothing for his partner??

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

I don't think that they mentioned any partner. But, given how recent George Michael's death, it's not a surprise that the details of the will are not yet public - if ever. The report recounted just what he had done over the years while alive.

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

Freedom 90 is a hell of a good track and what he did with Somebody to Love at the Freddie Mercury memorial concert was breathtakingly powerful.

As a person, he had issues and demons, like many of us.

His music? He's no Prince or Bowie but he did capture a time period. He was also important to many in how he handled having to come out in a time when being out was difficult for any entertainer.

His zenith is to be mourned and by all accounts, his generosity as well.

R.I.P. [Votive]

[ 29. December 2016, 02:59: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Yeah, he was probably one of the few people on earth who could go near a Freddie Mercury song.

© Ship of Fools 2016