Thread: Sarky tone about editing and stuff Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030846

Posted by Ronald Binge (# 9002) on :

Have I missed something all the years that I've posted on and off here, just why the board autoposts sarky little comments when any post gets edited?

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

I think they're fairly recent, a year or two or three perhaps? They're all over the place - try preview post, editing and posting without editing. (Like, on the UBB thread in Styx.)

Amusing.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

They have been there quite a while. I think the admins added them once, and couldn't remember how to remove them.

Posted by Ronald Binge (# 9002) on :

Just had a bit of fun on the UBB practice thread with it [Smile]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
They have been there quite a while. I think the admins added them once, and couldn't remember how to remove them.

I believe they were changed for H&A days. Then as you said never got changed back.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Don't remove them! (Please.) Occasionally try out new ones, if you like. But they're a nice little bit of fun.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Binge:
Just had a bit of fun on the UBB practice thread with it [Smile]

Exactly. A bit of fun. That's all.

Personally, I enjoy a bit of snark around here. It wouldn't be the Ship without it. And now, since I'm editing this post, I shall look forward to a little dose of snark when I hit the Post button.

[ 25. August 2016, 03:21: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Don't remove them! (Please.) Occasionally try out new ones, if you like. But they're a nice little bit of fun.

Very enjoyable. Especially when you find a new one whilst doing something you rarely do.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I believe they were changed for H&A days. Then as you said never got changed back.
They've been changed since then when bored--uh, creative newbie admins discover the relevant controls.

And yeah, they've always been kind of snarky.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
I think the admins added them once, and couldn't remember how to remove them.

We know how to do it, we just don't want to [Big Grin] .

As Kelly says, one of the rites of passage for a new Admin is to have a little play with the various bits of text that appear around the Ship. "UBB code? What's that then?" was one of mine, as was "Was it something we said" on the post-logout screen (which has now been replaced by something else).

[ 25. August 2016, 08:25: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I remember the "Was it something we said".

I'm not sure if it still says it, but the log out screen had: "You can check out but you can never leave" for bit, which gives me Hotel California as an earworm.

The one about "now washing your hands" came from some sarky comment about using the mottos on toilet rolls in a discussion not long ago.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

I had a look at the various bits of text when I was press-ganged into Admin. I don't think I changed any of them, at the time many had been set by people like Erin, David, Sarkycow and others with a talent for such things ... I just couldn't do better.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Very enjoyable. Especially when you find a new one whilst doing something you rarely do.
Some of the rare ones are the best, in my humble opinion. For example, have you added someone to your ignore list lately?

You should see some of the ones that only come up if you're doing H&A stuff [Big Grin] [Devil]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

If a board has had no visitors for some time then when you enter it you get "There is no one here. Quiet isn't it?"

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:

This post is so much funnier divorced from its context.

[ 25. August 2016, 13:30: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

This post is so much funnier divorced from its context.
[Killing me]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

They were started by Erin pbuh, I think?

For as long as I have been a Shipmate, the text widjets have been smartass.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

Has someone changed the font on the "go to" drop-down menu as of yesterday?

(And let's see if we can find the six registered users who preview post...)

'Go to' change? Not to my (fo[u]nt of) knowledge nor observation.

[ 04. September 2016, 07:57: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Has someone changed the font on the "go to" drop-down menu as of yesterday?

(And let's see if we can find the six registered users who preview post...)

Not that I know of, but I have heard people discuss how their devices cough up weird fonts at them unexpectedly-- say, after an upgrade,

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

I just pressed the register button:
quote:
You are already registered. You are currently logged in. Perhaps your brain has not been switched on.
[Big Grin]

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
For example, have you added someone to your ignore list lately?

...there's an ignore list??

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

It's the one that says "No one is on the list. It is therefore not a list."

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I had a look at the various bits of text when I was press-ganged into Admin. I don't think I changed any of them, at the time many had been set by people like Erin, David, Sarkycow and others with a talent for such things ... I just couldn't do better.

God save us from the Ship ever becoming too bland. We have lost too many of the contributions from really clever, creative people - don't want to lose any more.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

It's the one that says "No one is on the list. It is therefore not a list."
This has not helped me in the slightest. It's a bit like if I asked you how to get to a particular church, and you described the artwork inside.

Follow the "my profile" link at the top of the boards. Just above your list of PMs are links for an "ignore list" and a "buddy list". The ignore list is for people you don't want sending you PMs, the buddy list for those you frequently send PMs to and want to find quickly.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I enjoyed the ignore list.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

I find the jokey comments (Now wash your hands, etc) tedious.

I was rather chuffed to get the message "Thank you for being one of the six registered users to use the preview post function).

Which I will now do just to get the complimentary message.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Who looks, anyway?

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I find the jokey comments (Now wash your hands, etc) tedious.

It's curious that you hang out on the message boards of a satire site, then.

Anyway, they are way worse about this sort of thing at previously.tv.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Does anyone wish to try their "creative" sarcasm and fix the Edit Post attempt at snarky?
This
quote:
Only admins, hosts or the person who posted this message can edit or delete it. Nice try though.
doesn't make sense as the way one sees it is by being one of those very people.

You'll see it if you try to edit someone else's post (this one, for example). But, yes you get the same message if you're just too slow to spot the error and hit the edit icon.

quote:
You'll see it if you try to edit someone else's post

I tried an edit on someone else's post: I got:
quote:
This is none of your business. Go away.

No, no, no, that's the message you get when you poke the " logged" text at the bottom of someone's post window.

Which is right above the " edit" icon on the next post, come to think of it, so watch where you poke, people.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
No, no, no, that's the message you get when you poke the " logged" text at the bottom of someone's post window.

Which is right above the " edit" icon on the next post, come to think of it, so watch where you poke, people.

I clicked both places on your post and got this message both times.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Me too.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

In fairness, it's hard for Admins to test some of the "go away" messages... because they never apply to us.

Also our attention spans have been brutally atrophied due to collective addictions to Pokémon GO, Snapchat, and Tinder/Grindr.

Except for David. He just DGAF.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... so watch where you poke, people.

Always good advice.

I know exactly where I see that message, as The Ship, my mobile and computers conspire to inject typos into my posts.
It is also important to note that great minds do not cease to ponder their responses even after they have posted them.
Neither do I.
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
In fairness, it's hard for Admins to test some of the "go away" messages... because they never apply to us.

Kinda thought the Admin accounts having a dummy account* to test things would be a fairly standard practice.

*Sounds redundant, but there is another meaning.

quote:

Also our attention spans have been brutally atrophied due to collective addictions to Pokémon GO, Snapchat, and Tinder/Grindr.

My first thought was you could make a fortune combining those, followed by the realisation Pokémon GO is just Tindr/Grindr for virgins.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
[...] collective addictions to [...] Snapchat [...]

I read this a 'Snapchrist' - which might be yet another business idea!

And while you are at it, the flood control message received when posting a second time within 120 seconds is rather boring.

[ 20. September 2016, 18:43: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
And while you are at it, the flood control message received when posting a second time within 120 seconds is rather boring.

Yeah, that's another one that Admins never see (flood control doesn't apply to us [Smile] ). What does it say at the moment?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Yeah, that's another one that Admins never see (flood control doesn't apply to us [Smile] ). What does it say at the moment?
quote:
Sorry, but we cannot process your request. The board administrator has enabled flood protection for this function. You must wait at least 120 seconds before trying this request again.

Note: Using your back button to return to the previous page may cause the data you were attempting to submit to be lost. Instead, you should use your browser's reload button when the time period has elapsed.

» Please use your browser's back button to return, unless you got this because of flood control, in which case the back button will just try to screw with you. Sorry about that.

Seriously, there should be a dummy account that is used to test. Not for silly things like these messages, but there are permissions you have that might result in a different experience to us normal folk.

[ 21. September 2016, 15:50: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Gosh, that is boring. I'm sure one of us will come up with something more amusing at some point.

There aren't many changes we make that result in changes to the posting experience at all, let alone ones that only apply to ordinary Shipmates. And where they do, like flood control, we know exactly what the effect will be.

I'm really hoping that was the default setting. I'd be really disappointed if anyone here came up with that.

Though, looking in the control panel it appears to no longer be the text there ...

quote:
I'm really hoping that was the default setting. I'd be really disappointed if anyone here came up with that.

The final two sentences don't sound like a default setting. Do I detect reminders of Erin?

quote:
Though, looking in the control panel it appears to no longer be the text there ...

It now says:
quote:
Sorry, but we cannot process your request. The board administrator has determined that at least 120 seconds is the minimum time it tskes to write a meaningful contribution.

Use your back button to return to the previous page and write something worthwhile. Or use your browser's reload button when the time period has elapsed if you must post your sub standard effort.

» Please use your browser's back button to return, unless you got this because of flood control, in which case the back button will just try to screw with you. Sorry about that.

(Someone might want to fix that typo.)

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

The final two sentences don't sound like a default setting. Do I detect reminders of Erin?
Those final two sentences are not strictly part of the flood control message. They feature in others as well.

And thanks to the changer of message, both for the effort and for allowing me to finally have a positive effect on the Ship.

ETA: Typo is still there. How long does it tske to fix that?

[ 21. September 2016, 17:54: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

The admins will formulate a mission-centered process to address the typo and its impact upon a post-Christian culture. You may draw your own conclusions about the timeframe. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
The admins will formulate a mission-centered process to address the typo and its impact upon a post-Christian culture. You may draw your own conclusions about the timeframe. [Smile]

I trust you'll be forming an ad hoc committee to write a mission statement and then circulate a survey to all Shipmates as part of your fact finding.

Timeframe statement: 120s is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like 120s.

quote:
Timeframe statement: 120s is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like 120s.

Or perhaps a thousand ages in thy sight are like an evening gone...

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

Or "a thousand ages in thy sight" but just two minutes in ours (… and where's your evening gone?)

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

I notice there's (now?) a typo in the flood control message
quote:
Sorry, but we cannot process your request. The board administrator has determined that at least 120 seconds is the minimum time it tskes to write a meaningful contribution.

Clearly the formulation of the mission-centered process to address the typo and its impact upon a post-Christian culture took longer than anticipated.

Actually, I thought I'd corrected that typo when it was first pointed out. Which is probably another reason why I shouldn't be left with the task of editing the wordlets - technical incompetance.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Oh, I don't know: I like the note of computerly disapproval in "tskes".

[ 27. September 2016, 12:27: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

What would be deliciously meta is a typo in the Preview Pane message.

While the Crew are being responsive, the note one receives after clicking the edit button on another person's post is no great exercise of wit.

quote:
This is none of your business. Go away.
ETA: I am not clicking every link on the Ship, nor do I have any intention of doing so. Just noting the most egregious.

[ 29. September 2016, 04:17: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Actually, I like that one. Swiftly gets the point across, and is slightly sardonic.

© Ship of Fools 2016