Thread: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No , it's SECRET SANTA Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=030897

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Yes, I know it's still only August, but just warning people that I will be starting the Secret Santa list after the bank holiday week.
So this is your chance to think about whether you want to be involved, and perhaps, if you're REALLY organised to think of suitable gifts.
If you haven't done this before, the idea is to get a gift valued at around £5 in your local currency to send to another participant who's name and address and Ship name will be given you.
You can specify what continent you would like to send to, as you have to remember that you will need to pay postage on top of the price of the gift.
The lists will close at the end of the first week of November for me to send out names and addresses. Hopefully, everyone will then get their gift in time for Christmas.
(Sorry this is going out so early but we will be on holidays soon and I'm sure I will forget once I get home!

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Wow, and I thought the shops got in early for Christmas [Biased] .

Hope your holiday is fun.

Huia

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Aaaargh! Not only a reminder about Christmas, but this post about Secret Santa acts to remind me about the busiest time of year for family birthdays. Possibly that time ofyear is a reminder about activities of Christmases past. [Biased]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I have bought six of my Christmas presents [Razz]

4 main ones on holiday in Cornwall in June, 2 more via a crowdfunding appeal by the brilliant Welsh folk group "Allan yn y fan" and a few small presents for Lord P, again, from Cornwall.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

BAH, HUMBUG!

[Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I have bought six of my Christmas presents [Razz]

Boogie - I'm still trying to get hold of a present for a birthday in July. Christmas is way beyond my organisational skills.

Huia

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

Boogie:
quote:
I have bought six of my Christmas presents
I hate you.

...in love, of course.

Meanwhile, I sent my sister-in-law her birthday present a month late....

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Me! Me! We'll be travelling soon, so ideal time to think about this [Smile]

Cattyish, considering...

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

Yes! o/

OK, now we're back off holiday, Secret Santa can begin in Ernest.
So far, I've got Cattyish, Pants and me. Please post to say you'd like to take part and pm me with your r/l name and address, posting preferences, and any likes/dislikes/allergies.
You have until the beginning of November!

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

I can't quite get my head around Christmas yet, but I do want to be involved so sign me up!! Thank you for the organising.

Posted by JB (# 1776) on :

Motherboard and JB signing up.
E-mail to follow.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

I'm in. Sending PM.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

In! Email to follow.

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

Count me in!

Posted by St Everild (# 3626) on :

I was just thinking about this today!
Please count me in, thank you.

Thank you St Gwladys for organising this again. Mail deliveries of parcels etc is difficult for me with a very unreliable service, so I am opting out. But thank you all the same. Last year I had a parcel stolen, two others sent to wrong addresses. Just trouble..

Thanks for your time spent on this.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Lothlorien. It's unfortunate that intercontinental parcels do occasionally get lost. You seem to have had particularly bad luck [Frown]

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

I'm in.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I'm in.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

I always enjoy this. I am in.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

I'll party

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

I'm in.
(And happy to send an extra to Loth)

Thanks for the thought,but it is all mail, not just overseas. Last yeaar I mde so many complaints I had an incident number which put me thrugh to someone higher iup. Anything I now buy, I send to son's work address.

A parcel fell off the back of a truck and was stolen. An entirely different post office to mine, so no idea what it was doing there. Other sjust don't turn up. Cards are not left. Contract courier does the barest minimum. I now see many complaints, not just in this area.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

I'd like to join in again, please. Secret Santa is one of my favourite things about Christmas. [Smile]

15 Santas so far, a really good start. Could you make sure you pm me with your details?

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

But of course I'm in! [Smile]

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

I'm in! [Yipee]

**bump**

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

I'm in
PM being prepared for delivery

18 so far - still plenty of time to sign up!

**bump**

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

May I join in? PM to follow.

So, so far:
St. Gwladys
Cattyish
Pants
Dormouse
Leaf
Elaine C
Zappa
Patdys
ArachnidinElmet

all of whom need to pm their addresses!

Mamacita
Kelly Alves
Motherboard
JB
St. Everild
Graven Image
Cottontail
ent in time for Christmas
Quoheleth
Wet Kipper
North East Quine

all of whom have sent their addresses!

There's plenty of time left to sign up - you have until the beginning of November, which gives plenty of time to chose, wrap and send your gifts so that your Santee will, hopefully, get their present in time for Christmas.

St Gwladys, don't forget to send yourself your own address!

[Razz]

Address sent.

I was convinced I'd sent it when I signed up but there was nothing in my sent items....

**bump**

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

I'm finally getting round to signing up. PM on its way shortly.

Noted Sarasa!

3 weeks to go.....

I'm in. PM about to wing its way to you...

Receive - and Dormouse.

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

I would like to sign up please [Smile]

So, so far:

Cattyish
Pants
Leaf
Zappa
ArachnidinElmet

who need to pm their addresses

Mamacita
Kelly Alves
Motherboard
JB
St. Everild
Graven Image
Patdys
Cottontail
Quoheleth
Wet Kipper
North East Quine
St. Gwladys
Dormouse
Elaine C
Sarasa
Jane R
Adrienne

all of whom have sent their addresses!

There's just two weeks left to sign up - the deadline is the 5th November - which will give plenty of time to chose, wrap and send your gifts so that your Santee will, hopefully, get their present in time for Christmas.

Thanks, Cattyish and Zappa

And ArachnidinElmet

Any more to sign up?

Jacobsen has been added to my list.

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

Me, me, me....i love ship secret santa...

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

And me!

Belle Ringer and Surfing Madness are on my list.
You have ONE more week to register!

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

Me please
Am sending you a message

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Sorry, life threw us a curve ball recently. We are in!

Gill H
Hugal

]So, so far:

Pants
Leaf

who need to pm their addresses

Mamacita
Kelly Alves
Motherboard
JB
St. Everild
Graven Image
Patdys
Cottontail
Quoheleth
Wet Kipper
North East Quine
St. Gwladys
Dormouse
Elaine C
Sarasa
Jane R
Adrienne
Cattyish
ArachnidinElmet
Zappa
Surfing Madness
Belle Ringer
Rowen
Gill H
Hu

all of whom have sent their addresses.

You have 5 more days if you want to take part. Post on this thread and send me a pm with your name, address, likes/dislikes and posting preferences.

I was sure I'd done this !!!
Me me me me meeeeeeeeeeeee please

Aha, I had done this - I am not getting quite as forgetful as I thought.

I will resend the PM though. There's no way I'm giving you any excuse for missing me [Smile]

4 days left.......

As usual, I'll sort out the transatlantic postings first. Leaf, I still need your address!

2 days left - still time to sign up.....

Last day to sign up is tomorrow. I will then be sorting out my mailing lists and people should start getting pms from me with details of their santees early next week. I will send out the transatlantic ones first.

Thank-you for organising this.

Amen to that!

Details received and thinking cap on...

The first tranche of addresses has been sent out.

If anyone is in touch with Cottontail, can you tell her her mailbox is full?.

Oops - sorry. [Hot and Hormonal] Will sort now.

Whew! All who signed up have now been sent details of their Santee. If you haven't, please check your mailbox and then contact me.

Please post or pm me to say that you have posted or recieved - if you want to eventually tell us what you recieved, that's up to you, but if you post to say that you have recieved a parcel from Santa, 1) I can tick you off my list and 2) your Santa knows their parcel has arrived.

Let the fun begin!

Just for information for those with transatlantic Santees, the GPO has a website with last posting dates.

I am delighted to say I have posted my present today.
Buying it and sending it has been a joy in the midst of chaos and family sadness.
And it brings a smile when I think of it.

[Smile]

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

Pressie posted! A pleasant discovery that the Co-ops which host post office sections keep them open during shop hours, in this case till 9 pm on Sunday!

Thanks to St. Gwladys for organising this.

I saw antipodean santa-elves in the local post office yesterday, dispatching something mysterious to far-off places [Paranoid]

Parcel posted yesterday. Christmas elves have a long way to take it!

Elves, penguins and reindeer are starting to get busy [Smile]

Motherboard and JB posted parcels Wednesday.
Penguin seemed confident of successful delivery.

A parcel was posted on Wednesday. Hopefully there is now a brave elf paddling southwards with it.

Talking of Secret Santa - a couple of years ago I received a Christmas cookbook as my secret santa present. The celery sauce recipe from the book has become a Christmas staple and today I'm making some jewelled shprtbread from the same book. It makes me feel happy that we are all thinking of each other in such creative ways. [Smile]

Present posted today. [Smile]

Postal elves have been entrusted with a package for my Santee.

Mailed it today, expected to arrive in 10 days. DON'T READ TAG or you wont be surprised.

Posted by Baker (# 18458) on :

Dang it, I saw this too late!!! [Frown]

I'm not used to such things closing the first week in November!!! [Big Grin]

Anyway, can somebody jump up and down on me next year? And I do see there will be a Paschal Penguin, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Grrrr, I wasn't alert enough.

Sorry, Baker. It's just that I know through past experience that some shippies can be - shall we say - a little tardy about sending? Hopefully, by getting this sorted early, everyone should get their gifts by the end of Epiphany.

The Elf is on her way to the Post Office today and package will be on it's way via the North Pole.

A package arrived in the mail today addressed to Graven Image. It has been placed carefully on the "Christmas shelf in the closet to be brought out with other gifts on Christmas eve." What ever it is it does not rattle, yes I admit to a little shake before putting it away.

Hugal and I flagged down a passing elf today who has taken both our parcels.

A parcel arrived here today. I'm so excited, but I'm goign to be good and wait till Christmas to open it.

Ooops, I forgot to check in that my package was mailed on Saturday.

A passing penguin popped a parcel through my post portal yesterday!

Thank you, Secret Santa - it is tucked away safely awaiting the day!

sorry - i should have said a few days ago that a mysterious parcel from a distant land had arrived...

Something has arrived. Thank you, unknown penguin.

I received a parcel of parcels (Parcel of Parcels?) today from across the channel. I promise to keep my mits of the pressies until Christmas Day, but the homemade card is lovely.

Thank you Secret Santa! Yesterday I found a package waiting for me containing a couple big bars of Green & Blacks and a cute little needlepoint Christmas tree ornament. Thanks for your thoughtfulness!
(I tore it open without thinking because I thought it was a book I had ordered. [Hot and Hormonal] )

[ 09. December 2016, 05:35: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Oh, and I just found the card that went with it! (Thank you!)

Package entrusted to the elves, who have unwisely outsourced it to Canada Post. May God have mercy.

Christmas polar bear arrived a few weeks back, and has been lurking about since, he has finally been dispatched on his journey.

Posted to the Antipodes today [Smile]

Parcel has arrived. [Smile] I'll open it when I return from the Watchnight Service on Christmas morning. Thank you in anticipation, Secret Santa.

Any previous tapping of fingers, incidentally, was not related to any one delivery - just that we all went into a lovely hiatus of expectation!

And from a place far away a parcel has arrived here, too ... and I shall torture all by being good!

[Axe murder]

Parcel has arrived from foreign parts!

Reindeer dropped a parcel at our house today and Darllenwr took the customs declaration off so I have no idea what's inside! Thank you,(not so) secret Santa!

That was sneaky of him, wasn't it. Now you will have to wait to find out what is inside.

My gift is under my tree! Yay!

My present has been sent off, quick post, but it may be late. sorry. Clergy life is bit hectic this month.

Parcel has arrived safely to await my return from Midnight Mass. [Yipee]

Received an envelope with a lovely card and a present enclosed. Will wait till Christmas to open it. Thank you, secret Santa!

On my way to the post office to entrust Santa's parcel to the elves. Sorry about the delay (due to illness); hope it gets there in time.

Finally managed to drag a passing reindeer off it's flight path and load it up with a parcel. Hopefully the extra bag of carrots ensured a speedy delivery.

A package has arrived! It is beautifully wrapped and there is a lovely card. I'm putting it in my Christmas stocking until the big day....

The Penguin has departed these shores...but will he/she/it have to fly across the ocean? We shall have to see...

Happy Christmas anyway to my Santee - if it isn't with you before the day, it will arrive shortly afterwards, I promise. It is on it's way...

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

quote:
hopefully posted by St Everild:
if it isn't with you before the day, it will arrive shortly afterwards, I promise. It is on it's way...

Given the UK postal strikes I keep hearing about, it's a good thing some say Christmas lasts until Candlemas [Devil]

[ 20. December 2016, 15:44: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

It's the Post Office workers who are striking - Royal Mail, who actually deliver the post, are not striking. At least, not yet.

Well, I have more ticks than blanks in my "sent" columns of my spreadsheets! Hopefully, most, if not all, will have their pressies by Epiphany, if not by Christmas. [Yipee]

What a wonderful calendar. (No, I didn't wait.)

And then Motherboard carried it off, exclaiming about all the places she remembers and how neat they are.

I may not see it for a while.

But thank you. I predict I will enjoy it, too.

Packages for Hugal and myself have arrived!

Forgot to post that I have sent. One more tick for your spreadsheet, St Gwladys!

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Forgot to post that I have sent. One more tick for your spreadsheet, St Gwladys!

ditto for my posting a parcel

My parcel arrived today and I was unable to resist the temptation to open it... a lovely tartan decoration for my tree, some very appropriate badges and a bar of Mackie's chocolate. I love Mackie's ice cream, though you can't get the full range of flavours south of the border. I had no idea they did chocolate as well!

Thank you, (Scottish?) Santa!

My database shows 4 still to post and 10 still to receive.

The local elves ask pardon for the delay in delivery, as a hand crafted item has proven complicated to pull off. It will most likely complete and shipped by the week after Christmas-- definitely no later.

I think I might have had a technical hitch. I got an exciting international package today, but I then realised I haven't sent anything. Checking my messages, I don't seem to have an address to post to? Sorry if I've done something stupid with it.

cattyish, expecting this is my fault.

Carrying, I have pm'd you and your Santee.

I had quietly guessed it would be late, when today! A package arrived! Addressed to me, Belle Ringer! Yea!

Ooops... forgot to post on here (nothing new there!!). Half has been taken by the elves, other half to follow due to slow postie. [Biased]

Apologies for the delay in posting - an elf popped by with a package this week - two little presents are waiting until Christmas morning!

I waved off my elf earlier this week, not got so far to go so hopefully will be there very soon.

It's ... beginningtofeelalot like Christmas [Yipee]

Santa's elf has delivered to the NorthEast household. I will unwrap it tomorrow. Thank you!

Gift were opened with family celebration. First the perfect gift for the armchair traveler I have now become., it is a DVD travel video. Most perfect of all was a small woven piece of cloth no doubt meant to be a coaster but I am using it as a mat for a tiny handmade miniature pot that own. . All of this was from my secret santa or so says the little dated wish for a Merry Christmas also enclosed. Thank you so much Santa I will be enjoying it all for a long time.

quote:
Originally posted by JB:
What a wonderful calendar. (No, I didn't wait.)

OOPS!
It wasn't a Secret Santa. Motherboard recognized the address.

Still waiting, then.

A lovely ornament for my tree to keep and bars of chocolate to be enjoyed later. Thank you very much to my Secret Santa.

Thank you to my (not so) secret Santa for my gorgeous glass window decoration. And yes, I love glass!

I love my pressies: there's a crazy-coloured lovely soft woven scarf and a French language cook book. That's definitely going to test my limited language skills, but I'll be warm while I try it out.

Many thanks, Secret Santa [Yipee]

ION, I've just lit a candle in the candle holder I received from last year's Secret Santa.

Many thanks Santa for the tree decoration. I love it! I have googled the charity which made it, and am delighted to have such a well crafted decoration from such a worthwhile charity.

Many, many thanks, Secret Santa!

Cool! Thank you secret santa for my "ransom" postcards!

Thank you to my Secret Kiwi Santa for the lovely paperweight and novelty items

Thank you, Santa, for the fab Peanuts calendar!

And Hugal says thanks to Santa for the vanilla paste and angelic pig!

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
... angelic pig!

All pigs are angelic. [Angel]

Many thanks, Santa, for the exquisite glass miniature Christmas tree ... and about the right size for our new wee cottage [Axe murder]

Thank you for the pretty handmade ornament, Secret Santa! It immediately found a place of honour on the tree. Merry Christmas!

Many thank yous to my Secret Santa for a really beautiful bookmark (now at home in the book my son sent me). [Yipee]

And also the bright orange squirrel. It sits of the edge of the cup! It looks like it is pooping in the cup!! It make tea!!! What's not to love [Big Grin]

[Yipee] [Smile] Thank you! [Smile] [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Thank you, Santa, for the fab Peanuts calendar!

And Hugal says thanks to Santa for the vanilla paste and angelic pig!

... and the chocolate coins too - which will probably enliven our New Year table.

Thank you, Chicago Santa, for locally made chocolates, postcards and ... a snow globe [Yipee]

Loved all my little gifts.... Scarf especially. So pretty and useful!

Thank you, my New Mexican Santa. The little woven coaster is both sweet and useful, and I shall enjoy perusing the CD-Rom of local churches. It is lovely to get something so evocative of a completely different part of the world.

My secret santa in attempting to teach me new words, LOL, and enclosed a cute little dog to eggs me on when I am numpty.

Thank you, Secret Santa, for such a lovely gift! I received a beautiful handmade box filled with chocolate penguins. An absolutely delightful gift that I will display on my bookshelf.

Two things, Mamacita:

1] please don't mention the penguins in the Hosts' Lounge, you know how touchy some avian life forms can be; and

2] always remember to always bite the heads off first.

[Big Grin]

Because if they get to you first...

Right, Wod? [Big Grin] [Angel]

Absolutely!

Looking out for the elves...

Thank you not so secret Santa for the lovely knitting needles. the are so cute and are ideal for me. I love them. Thanks also for the card and paper in my favourite green colour. [Axe murder]

So there's just 5 who haven't yet.received:
Motherboard (on its way)
Pants
Dormouse (on its way)
JB (on its way)
Patdys (on its way)

Christmas doesn't end till Epigphany, so there's still a week to go before I start chasing people up!

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

Sorry I've been so long posting - I didn't havemy SoF password with me so couldn't post! However I enjoyed opening my SS prezzie on Christmas Day to find some Catty socks and the Ladybird book "How it works: The Cat" that Mr D had been hankering after for weeks. Together with a Lindt bear and some popping candy. A fine present indeed! Thank you!

Thanks for posting, Dormouse.
And then there were 4....

The cat book is a scream, isn't it? My two favourite pages are the Imhotep one and the Elton John one.

Sorry about the late post. Thank you for the sweets, reminded me of childhood Christmas. Also the hearts are lovely.

Thank you lovely Santa for my beautiful tea towel and the joy of discovering Omeo.

Love from Cattyish, about to stop colouring in long enough to have lunch.

Still 4 to go.
Kind.hosts, could we keep this thread open a bit longer?

I doubt there has been any discussion about closing it yet, so don't worry. This one still has a purpose, so is safe.

Thanks for the origami pad and the lovely rubbers of London features. Off to sprain my brain creatively...

Many thanks to my secret Santa.
Some lovely post cards and ornaments- some edible, some not...
It was a lovely surprise,
Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I doubt there has been any discussion about closing it yet, so don't worry. This one still has a purpose, so is safe.

As far as I remember, it just stays open until the last Santee checks in. I think our record was March. [Big Grin]

The person to whom I posted a parcel hasn't checked in. I'm getting worried now. It was sent before Christmas, so over 2 weeks ago...

I have pm'd her,emailed her and even found her on Facebook and she hasn't replied. It could be that she's on holidays?

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Thanks for the origami pad and the lovely rubbers of London features. Off to sprain my brain creatively...

[Eek!] Just thought I'd chime in to ask if you know that "a rubber" is, or (was?) American slang for a condom.

[Big Grin]

Posted by Arlie (# 18710) on :

[Tear]

In England, and for my generation, "rubber" is precisely that - a piece of rubber which is used to rub out pencil marks made on paper.

We're a nice-minded lot over here. [Big Grin]

Patdys, Dormouse and Smudgie have received their gifts, which leaves Pants, JB and Motherboard still to post that they have received.

Motherboard's gift is on its way.

Let's hope we can close this thread by Easter!

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Motherboard's gift is on its way.

And she got it!
She recognized the Secret Santa and sent her thanks directly, but she also thanks St. Gwladys for setting this up.

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Let's hope we can close this thread by Easter!

I am hopeful that it can be done and dusted by Candlemas, it would be an excellent close of the Season.

Just Pants and JB to go

I have been informed that the two remaining gifts have been entrusted to the post.

Thank you to my not-so-secret santa for a very amusing pressie. The downside being that my mouth now has the taste of a mix of babywipes and dog food!!!

Pants, my mind is boggling!

Pants, my mind is boggling!

quote:
Originally posted by Pants:
Thank you to my not-so-secret santa for a very amusing pressie. The downside being that my mouth now has the taste of a mix of babywipes and dog food!!!

And which do you prefer?

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

What's bothering me is how she knows what such items taste like ... [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by Pants:

And which do you prefer?
They were the worst... but the grass cuttings and boogers were no where near as bad as I'd expected.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I suspect I've eaten that particular product, too. Not something I want to repeat in a hurry.

The PM came first:
Hi,
Have you recieved your gift yet? When you do, would you post on the thread so it can be closed?
St. G.

And there in the mail box was THE PACKAGE!

What timing! Thank you St. Gwladys for putting out so much effort to make the rest of us happy.

And thank you Secret Santa.
Motherboard found the map in the back of the book, and it came in very handy. The introduction to the book of Ancient Monuments of Scotland was reminding me of Edward Gibbon - they seemed to share the assumption that their readers know geography.

But I really turned to the section on Roman Occupation first.

And the badger pin reminded me of an encounter I had in the Nevada desert:
http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/animal-planet-presents/videos/top-10-odd-animal-couples-badger-coyote/

So Thank You again. Now let's see if Motherboard can help me work out who sent it.

Thanks for posting this JB, and thanks to everyone who took part.
This thread can now be CLOSED until September when I'll start a new one, so look out for that.
Thanks too to the admins for being patient!

Thanks for the notice. Will close it.

Santa has found everyone so thread closed till later in year.

Lothlorien. AS Host.

© Ship of Fools 2016