Thread: Best Opening Post Board: The Simmies 2009 / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=74;t=000012

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Writing an outstanding OP is a great art. You might have the best thread idea since the Stone Age, but without a sharp OP it can go the way of the dinosaur before anyone's replied. So which OP stands out for you in the past year?

When nominating on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. If you don't have all the info you need to complete the nomination fields, you're not yet ready to nominate. Just make a regular post asking for the help of others in finding what you're looking for.

Please note: Your nomination post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

[ 11. December 2008, 08:53: Message edited by: Simon ]

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Shipmate's board name

For: Best Opening Post

On the thread: Thread title

Thread URL: Insert clickable link here

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

[ 11. December 2008, 08:53: Message edited by: Simon ]

Posted by The Great Gumby (# 10989) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Curiosity killed ...

On the thread: Crusading or not?

Thread URL: here

My reasons for nominating: This is a wonderfully understated and very well-observed dissection of a Shipmate's style, just as damning as any f-bomb-laden rant. It's all the better for never naming the subject of the OP, or even needing to. Where many OPs in Hell are akin to enormous mallets, this is a scalpel wielded with careful precision.

Thank you.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Spiffy

On the thread: Mystery in the Cathedral!

Thread URL: we all love a good mystery

My reasons for nominating: This is such a well-framed OP. It starts with the name of the thread, including the exclamation mark, which makes you want to look. It continues with: here is what to look for and here is a bigger picture, both with clear links. Then there is some information from the site, followed by a quote. The last comment is class - not at all bossy, but persuasively inviting us to look and comment: 'All right, pumpkins, have at it!' With a well-written OP like that, I bet a lot of people who aren't knowledgeable about tat at all couldn't resist taking a peek and wonder whodunnit.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

I'm going to assume there will be Simmies next year and start a file of favorite OPs. I know there are some other good ones out there, but my brain is old and sieve-like. [Frown]

[ 22. December 2008, 22:24: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

Ooof ... found this thread burried at the bottom. I've blown the dust off so that our presenters can make their revelations when they arrive.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

[tangent]Erm. Are presenters supposed to be presenting on the nominating thread or the polling thread? If the former, my partner in presentation and I are going to have to shuffle our way to the correct stage.[/tangent]

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Doublethink arrives from the other stage.

I am delighted to be here with § Andrew to present this hotly contested award. Opening posts are often the product of many minutes of careful thinking, and people really do get insufficient credit.

I shall now hand over to my good friend § to announce the winner ...

Posted by §Andrew (# 9313) on :

Thank you Doublethink. It's an honor to present this award with you. You are just shining!

Ladies and Gentlemen, are you as excited about this as I am? There is a spark of electricity in the atmosphere, as the mystery is going to be resolved. This is certainly a historical moment!

He slices envelope with his teeth.

Without further ado, the Best Opening Post Award goes to:

climaxing music plays on the background

Spiffy, Mystery in the Cathedral!

If she was almost famous, she's truly famous now! Congratulations Spiffy!

Andrew sheds a tear of joy, as the memories from that opening thread, and from that mysterious picture come to mind... Yes, he was one of those who where actually there, in Ecclesiantics, when that historical post was published!

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

baa, baaa, baaaa

I mean, clap, clap, clap!

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

And what a fantastic moment that was, thank you §. Now we can only wait to hear the author's thoughts, and I am sure they will be worth waiting for.

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

<whistles> WooHOOO, Spiff! Nice work!

Posted by §Andrew (# 9313) on :

The crowd is ecstatic as one of these children (the one on the far left of the picture) gets to stand at the podium holding the impressive award, ready for the winner to accept the much-envied prize!

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

[Tear] How sweet...

Posted by Spiffy (# 5267) on :

*bows to her adoring fans*

I couldn't have had a memorable post if the rest of y'all hadn't worked so hard to keep it at the top of Eccles for so long. Thanks!

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Things with lots of fiber in do tend to float. [Smile]

© Ship of Fools 2016