Thread: Host of the Year Board: The Simmies 2009 / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=74;t=000015

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

All the Hosts are wonderful, of course, but which one stands out for character and style as they go about their hostly duties? Immortalise your favourite Host by nominating him or her here. Please note: this award is for public board Hosts only, and not for the Hosts of private boards.

If you're nominating someone for a Simmy on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. Your post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Host's board name

For: Host of the Year

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

Nomination

I nominate: PeteC

For: Host of the Year.

My reasons for nominating: I'm nominating the grandfatherly PeteC not for his kind and gentle prodding in AS, but for his truly entertaining stint as a stand-in Hell Host while Comet took shore leave during Lent.

He ate threads for lunch. He belittled lame posters with glee and abandon. I turned on my computer and open up Hell just to see what threads he had closed lately. He tried, and succeeded in raising the standard of invective, wit, and callous nonchalance in Hell.

This is a good example.

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Mamacita

For: Host of the year

My reasons for nominating: Mamacita is the classic, gracious hostess. She doesn't hover around emptying ashtrays and giving threatening looks toward your dip-dripping celery stick. Instead you're barely aware she's there, until you need a little help finding where to put your things or getting out of a dull conversation. Mostly you just know you're feeling welcome and having a great time; trusting that if you should get so drunk and disorderly that she has to call the cops on you, she'll send you off in a kindly way with a foil wrapped cheese ball in your pocket, and welcome you back after you've done your time.

[Drunken snif] I luv 'er.

Posted by R.A.M. (# 7390) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: dj_ordinaire

My reasons for nominating: Eccles is one of my favourite boards, possibly THE favourite. What is more the inhabitants thereof can be a little unruly, and it is only through his excellent, and well timed, interventions that some of the more interesting threads stay focused. When not intervening formally, dj_o sets the tone of that forum to all our benefit. Special mention also goes out to Hart and jlg, of course, and it was hard to choose which most deserved the accolade.

So may he be crowned with the Simmie Biretta, awarded the small golden statuette resembling Uncle Percy Dearmer, and given whatever other laurels deemed appropriate.

Posted by Sha_Sha (# 10880) on :

I nominate: Comet
Reason: You can always count on her to tell you exactly what she thinks, but she usually finds a funny way to do so. She is one of the few people who can make someone laugh while she is chewing their ass. [Smile]

She can also be really nice. And has pretty hair.

[ 12. December 2008, 19:42: Message edited by: Sha_Sha ]

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

I second: Comet.
For position: Host of the year.
Reason: For all the reasons Sha_Sha said (except for the pretty hair) and for remaining good natured in tricky situations.

Posted by Zwingli (# 4438) on :

If nothing else, Comet closed that interminable Peter Jensen thread, for which we should all be eternally grateful.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

I second PeteC.

Not only fine host in AS but also a great spell depping for Comet. I do wonder if months with the fluffy bunnies would ensure that any ex-AS host would behave like that.

He's a great poster too, right across the Ship, caring in AS, intelligent in Purgatory and Acid in Hell.

PeteC - Ship's all-rounder!

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

NOMINATION

I would like to nominate whichever host or admin came up with this idea to poke the bejebus out of the rest of us.

I didn't realize that Host and Admin Days were a moveable feast.

Posted by Foaming Draught (# 9134) on :

Nomination

I third PeteC. I can't comment on what he does in Hell, this being a Christian website I don't go there, but Campbellite and he keep AS, especially the Dostoevskyish Ozblog, on an even keel. It's the ultimate exemplar of an iron fist in a velvet glove, talking softly while carrying a big stick, add your own metaphor. And as Sioni Sais sais, he gets around the boards, not letting his AS hostly duties get in the way of eclectic forumism. Most importantly from my standpoint, although YKMV, he's a prayer warrior.

I ought to co-nominate Campbellite, who exercises just as balanced and welcome a hostly hand on the Ozblog, but we tend to see more of PeteC.

For all I know, Spike is wonderful too, but he steers clear of us. Just as well after that little episode with the national boards. Not that I bear grudges ......

FD

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
It's the ultimate exemplar of an iron fist in a velvet glove, talking softly while carrying a big stick, add your own metaphor ...
FD

Err, ... that should read mix your own metaphor. Shake don't stir. FD isn't - this time! As in 'builds bridges over oil while pouring troubled waters over greener pastures' or summat.

[ 13. December 2008, 22:46: Message edited by: Zappa ]

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

I nominate: jlg
For host of the year.

It's a tough call because so many hosts are excellent. But jlg demonstrates how to get the job done, efficiently, impartially and comprehensively; often with humour, or the right amount of slapped wrist, and in a way which rarely draws attention away from the thread being hosted. Quite an achievement. To my mind, she's just the perfect host.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
I can't comment on what he does in Hell, this being a Christian website I don't go there,

you just made me snort my coffee, you grand baloney artist!

[Razz]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: TonyK

My reasons for nominating:

He's put up with Dead Horses for years with grace, patience, courtesy and good humour. He deserves a medal for coping unprotestingly with some of the stuff that's been in there since the dawn of time, and which will continue to resurface and have the same things posted to them over and over again until the end of the universe.

I'll also second Mamacita. Both hosts are a real asset, and she's read through the entire Doctor Who thread without any protest.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

I'd like to second the nomination of TonyK, the man deserves recognition for his patience.

Yours aye,

DT

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

NOMINATION

I Nominate: Trudy Scrumptious

My Reason: Any time I have requested any hosting help (via PM, usually) she has responded courteously and friendlily, even when (as is usually the case) my request was ill-founded or otherwise stupid.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Another vote for comet here. She's wickedly funny while tearing deserving folks a new anal orifice.
She is also very sweet. (Sorry to ruin your image, comet.)

Posted by WatersOfBabylon (# 11893) on :

Another vote for comet. Even when I vehemently disagree with her, I somehow end up laughing. And plus, I got to play with her Arab kitty in a scary airline baggage handling building in Seattle. That right there wins it.

Posted by Redolent Spilogale Putorius (# 8783) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: sarkycow, Styx Host

My reasons for nominating: Sarkycow has not said a stern or unkind word to me this entire year, unlike most other Hosts and Admins.
I would like to give an example here: but as far as I know, sarkycow has not posted anything at all during 2008.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Persecution complex, RSP?
Try directory / name of shipmate / view recent posts.

Posted by Redolent Spilogale Putorius (# 8783) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Persecution complex, RSP?
Try directory / name of shipmate / view recent posts.

See how I'm being oppressed by the sarcasm inherent in the system?
Cups hands, shouts loudly in Monty Python voice:
"Come and see how I'm being oppressed by the..."

Posted by chicklegirl (# 11741) on :

Tot up another vote for Comet. She rules.

Posted by les@BALM (# 11237) on :

I wish to vote for PeteC as Host of the Year, as he handles with tact and firmness everyone on the O'Canada thread, he nips in the bud anyone who gets on the thread with a bee in their bonnet and sends them off to Purgatory!

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

ONE HOST?????

(Get real, there are so many)

I NOMINATE
FOR: HOST/HOSTESS OF THE YEAR

1. TONY K One of my oldest friends on the ship, A Gentleman with a capital G and a person who can make me laugh at a moments notice.

2. COMET "My red headed sister from another mother". (Now, she says some words that I don't like of the nasty variety, but some people do respond to a strong word now and again!) I could forgive her anything.

3. jlg The woman has a way with words and is such a dear soul, so how could I NOT vote for her?

4. Campbellite My dear brother, who has always a good word to say via PM's when I ask him to so some changes for me. I love the man.

5. Mamacita Such a thoughtful human being who is also such a divine angel in adversity and during the good times as well.

Life would just not be worth living without these people for me. [Axe murder]

Posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd) (# 12163) on :

Host of the Year: Mamacita

For: Combining firmness with tact and not dwelling in immeasurable heights.

Honorable mentions: Rossweisse and Margaret. For holding things together in difficult times and having a good pastoral touch.

Lovable Eccentric Host: Zappa. For being himself and coming from a place where sheep are sheep and men are scared.

[ 23. December 2008, 05:24: Message edited by: Sir Pellinore (ret'd) ]

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

Red Carpet Gown On

Sir P, private board hosts are ineligible for nomination, as the all private board matters are private and not open to discussion on the Ship itself.

Red Carpet Gown Off

Posted by eeGAD (# 4675) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: comet

My reasons for nominating: Because she combines fierce with funny

[gah!]

eeG

[ 23. December 2008, 10:33: Message edited by: eeGAD ]

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

NOMINATION

I nominate: Trudy Scrumptious

My reasons for nominating: She is unfailingly calm, kind, and genuinely helpful, responding with charity and grace to her fellow Shipmates' questions and concerns, whether those questions are posted on a thread or sent by PM.

She's not as flashy as some of the other hosts, working mostly behind the scenes, but her contribution is no less valuable, and no less appreciated, for that.

Posted by KenWritez (# 3238) on :

NOMINATION

I add my nomination to the growing pile for: TonyK

My reasons for nominating: The man labors uncomplainingly and faithfully in the darkest bowels of the Ship and has never sought public attention.

He does what so few of us would want to do and he does it with grace and a flash of self-deprecating humor. The few times I've interacted with him when I was a Host he was friendly and accomodating.

Honoring him with this ward is a) overdue and b) among the the least we can do for him.

[ 23. December 2008, 14:13: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

Posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd) (# 12163) on :

Oops, Sorry Flausa. Didn't know.

Posted by rugasaw (# 7315) on :

I nominate: Chorister

My reasons for nominating: For actively taking this thread into the Circus. I also support Trudy for rescuing this thread and setting it up for the circus.

Posted by Hiro's Leap (# 12470) on :

I nominate: Duo Seraphim

My reasons for nominating: Duo's not a host now which might affect her eligibility, but earlier this year she was a stunningly good host. She knew exactly when to prod a thread, when to issue a hostly rebuke, and when to leave well alone. My guess is that Purgatory hosting is pretty hard work, but she made it seem effortless.

Posted by rugasaw (# 7315) on :

Kudos to Simon, AM, and Erin for finding all the great Hosts we have.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Kudos to Simon, AM, and Erin for finding all the great Hosts we have.

[Overused]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Yeah, we hid really well, too, but they still found us. [Biased]

(thanks, guys, we will continue to attempt to do our best)

Posted by Littlelady (# 9616) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
I nominate: Duo Seraphim
My reasons for nominating: Duo's not a host now which might affect her eligibility, but earlier this year she was a stunningly good host. She knew exactly when to prod a thread, when to issue a hostly rebuke, and when to leave well alone. My guess is that Purgatory hosting is pretty hard work, but she made it seem effortless.

I'd second all of that.

© Ship of Fools 2016