Thread: VOTE! Best Avatar Board: The Simmies 2009 / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=74;t=000018

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Here are the nominations for Best Avatar. Please remind yourself of the avatars and nominations by reading the post below... and then vote for your choice.

-

Above are the avatars, and below are the nominations, in alphabetical order, for Best Avatar.

1. chive

Nominated by Chorister: "This one is so funny because it looks so much like something else - and the cheeky strapline underneath reinforces the view. Rather like when my gmail account login page comes up - I never see a brown box, it always looks like a pair of brown y-fronts! I remember chive having a lot of fun with us trying to get us to guess what the picture really was when it first appeared."

2. Chorister

Nominated by piglet: "He's so cute, and always makes me go 'aah'."

3. Doublethink

Nominated by Paul M: "I just like it. Mysterious and attractive!"

4. eeGAD

Nominated by Erin: "Ingrid Third freakin' rocks, man."

5. Emma Louise

Nominated by PrettyFly: "I've just always thought it was very pretty - I'm fluffy like that - and I love the accompanying 'Storm in a Teapot' status."

6. Lots of Yay

Nominated by Zwingli: "Her avatar and title still make me smile every time she posts."

7. monkeylizard

Nominated by Sha_Sha: "It looks like a cat I had when he was wet."

8. Robert Armin

Nominated by Robert Armin: "My avatar is the Fool from the Rider-Waite Tarot pack. To some this is a symbol bursting with Christian significance, to others it is so anti-Christian it deserves to be smote with a thunderbolt. Therefore, to me it sums up the whole character of the Ship as a board of Christian unrest. (My nom de plume is that of a historical fool as well, as I seek to be one fool in the company of many others.)"

9. Scot

Nominated by KenWritez: "Scot's avatar is creative, striking, simple, unique and memorable. It's one of the best avatars I've ever seen and I've always liked it and envied it."

10. Smudgie

Nominated by Marvin the Martian: "It's just so cute."

11. Triple Tiara

Nominated by Geneviève: "I have always enjoyed TT's sense of humor, intellect, and lack of fanaticism regarding his faith tradition. The avatar is fabulous, and over the top. A wonderful chuckle."

Posted by Sylvander (# 12857) on :

Hoorah for Smudgie, hottest penguin on the Ship!

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

I think TT's avatar is a fit replacement for his old one (co-opted by The Atheist). It's fitting, ironic and rather sinister.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:

Smudgie! You haven't been bribing anyone, have you?! [Paranoid]

(wanders off, muttering 'How can she be the hottest penguin on the ship whilst being the coolest penguin on the ship as well?' Surely Smudgie's a worker of miracles and fine wonders.....)

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

Yay! for Lots of Yay!

Posted by Geneviève (# 9098) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
I think TT's avatar is a fit replacement for his old one (co-opted by The Atheist). It's fitting, ironic and rather sinister.

Well, I'm just lost in admiration as he holds his head just so--because that crown thingie looks like it could fall off any moment with a very loud clunk. [Cool]

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

[Snigger] What a fitting description Genevieve. Cos whenever I succumb to pomposity I somehow immediately fall victim to some gaffe which shatters my dignity. No doubt that would happen were I to wear the triregnum - it would keep falling off at inopportune moments!

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:

Smudgie! You haven't been bribing anyone, have you?! [Paranoid]

(wanders off, muttering 'How can she be the hottest penguin on the ship whilst being the coolest penguin on the ship as well?' Surely Smudgie's a worker of miracles and fine wonders.....)

All I know is I am Smudgie's bitch, vote-wise. Ride the wave, honey.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

I can't remember who I voted for. But I'm sure it was lovely - hooray for whoever it was and for everyone else, they're all worthy!

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
No doubt that would happen were I to wear the triregnum - it would keep falling off at inopportune moments!

{Studies avatar's hat.}

Well, if it should fall off, you could substitute a triple-decker jello mold. Doubt anyone would notice the difference!
[Biased]

Posted by John Donne (# 220) on :

It has to be Triple Tiara. What's not to love about millinery that looks like a big breast? A 1980s Madonna-cone. Yer!

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

I am going to make a bid for the pregnant parents vote. A vote for my avatar is a sacrifice to the goddess of cheek bones - and she will bless your unborn child with the facial structure of a super model.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
All I know is I am Smudgie's bitch, vote-wise. Ride the wave, honey.

Mind your back, Smudgie - Kelly always says things like that just before she wields her axe. What she's really thinking is 'Mmmmm, penguin steaks! - tasty..... [Eek!] )

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

I can't see how anyone could get past Emma's lovely teapot.

There's a shop not too far from me that has a similar one in the window, and I like it when two worlds collide.

[Edited because there's no point canvassing if you don't make sense.]

[ 20. January 2009, 07:44: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

I looked at the cookie monster with new eyes this morning, and realised what he is gobbling is actually a giant host!

"Lots of Yay - more relevant than you think."

quote:
I looked at the cookie monster with new eyes this morning, and realised what he is gobbling is actually a giant host!

"Lots of Yay - more relevant than you think."

You nearly had me trying to change my vote, but then I realised you didn't mean that sort of Host...

[ETA Teapots Forever!]

[ 20. January 2009, 07:57: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

Posted by KenWritez (# 3238) on :

Scot's avatar still thrills me and chills me.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

I remember calling Smudgie to hell...just to see her cute avatar show up and confuse me. This did not endear me to hosts but I did not care...when I see that little cutie pie wee smudgie avatar, I lose my ability to think clearly. [Axe murder]

Duchess, Duchess, what evil and corruption have you wrought? Don't you realise the more time Smudgie spends in Hell, the more her avatar subtly changes....
And it's All Your Fault!

Think of the children! [Eek!]

Posted by Revelle (# 8554) on :

I rather enjoy chive's avatar. Perhaps the best fitting avatar on the boards.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I think Robert Armin's is the most intriguing, and the prettiest of the three with a yellow background. And the discreet use of Tarot imagery gets my vote for being subtly subversive.

quote:
Originally posted by Revelle:
I rather enjoy chive's avatar. Perhaps the best fitting avatar on the boards.

A young Macca is yours?

Posted by Revelle (# 8554) on :

Indeed.

Posted by eeGAD (# 4675) on :

All I can do is to offer either gin or chocolate for votes. Unless you know who Ingrid Thrid is, my avatar is lost on you. alas.

However, I've been a bit of a penguin collector all my life, so I've got a soft spot for smudgie. Yay's always makes me smile, and Doublethink's always makes me nervous.

However, it's monkey lizard's avatar that makes me laugh out loud. If I had 2 votes, I'd give the other vote to that crazy critter.

Again, a vote for eeGAD will get you gin or chocolate. (Perhaps if I watch Election again, I can channel my inner Tracy Flick!)

eeG

I'm not just a pretty face, I can make myself very useful as well.

Vote for Chorister Teddy - for all your choral and computer needs.

Yeurch, now I'm all dusty and full of crumbs.

Posted by koshatnik (# 11938) on :

quote:
Originally posted by eeGAD:
Again, a vote for eeGAD will get you gin or chocolate.

Good enough for me - to be honest, I could have been bought for much less. Gin please, barkeep.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
I'm not just a pretty face, I can make myself very useful as well.

But only when you lose your head!
[Eek!]

I want the Melt inducing penguin to win. cute cute cutie pie.

Posted by Ancient Mariner (# 4) on :

It gives me very great pleasure to announce the winner of the Best Avatar Award. Many hours of deliberation go into choosing these visual identities. We thank everyone who has lined the ship's coffers (others are welcome to join them) for the privilege of being unique as they stride the ship's decks.

[Overused]

Now on with the show...

So what did shippies make of those nominated?

Clearly after wrestling in prayer (and a trip his local?) dj_ordinaire slurred: 'I can't remember who I voted for. But I'm sure it was lovely - hooray for whoever it was and for everyone else, they're all worthy!"

That's the spirit, dj. Very helpful.

<sits up and looks very interested. Fully recovered now from yawning at Mousethief [Big Grin] >

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

It was a terribly difficult choice, deciding where to cast my vote. They are all such worthy possibilities. In the end I voted for stunning simplicity... But I really like all of them.

Ahem, quiet Row Z. I'm doing the speech...

[Razz]

John Donne told us: "The winner has to be Triple Tiara. What's not to love about millinery that looks like a big breast?"

Amen to that. Preach it, Ancient One.

[Hot and Hormonal]

Comes from being celibate - breasts on the mind all the time!

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

Hurrah & Huzzah for the Hat of His Holiness

However...

(camera freezes on faces of expectant avatars)

Was that the result? Is it true? Is it really me? I thought that was just the speech!

<stays put in seat for a moment - not wanting to leap up and have breast, erm, tiara slip off head and cause embarrassment>

HOWEVER...

Posted by mummyfrances (# 8635) on :

*crunches popcorn*

uh-oh. Ominous....

Doublethink listens attentively, desperately trying to conceal her covetousness and lust for a Simmie.

...on the other hand, as Genevieve said: "Triple Tiara's crown thingie looks like it could fall off any moment with a very loud clunk."

Yep, there it goes.

Sorry, no gong this year, TT.

[Frown]

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

TT slinks out to have dinner.

Then off to console himself by saying a nice evening mass - sans crown!

Paul M thinks Doublethink's avatar is 'mysterious and attractive!'

[Paranoid]

So did plenty of shippies, enough to...

Doublethink clings grimly to the last remnants of her dignity and reserve, maintaining that impenetrable Madonna smile.

[Eek!]

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
So did plenty of shippies, enough to...

[a hushed silence falls over the crowd]

[ 01. February 2009, 16:41: Message edited by: Gort ]

... win a lot of votes but not quite enough.

"The discreet use of Tarot imagery in Robert Armin's avatar gets my vote for being subtly subversive..." said Ariel.

As a result, Robert...

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

Y'all want me to shoot him?

... did extremely well...

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

Yes, please!

... but didn't get it, right?

Yes please Erin.

No! no! Wait till AFTER the announcement!

Posted by mjg (# 206) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

Oh boy: another gun thread.

Doublethink loses some of her avid interest in proceedings, and slips into something more comfortable ...

...but didn't bag a gong.

(Just so it's, like, not actual nudity, Doublethink, that might slow down the speechifying even more.)

Posted by rufiki (# 11165) on :

GET ON WITH IT!!!

*ducks down in seat, hoping no-one can tell who shouted out*

I'm sure I won by write-in vote...

Like you, rufiki, I despise award ceremonies that go on and on with the announcers loving the sound of their own qwerty keyboards. So, after I've popped out to relieve myself and phoned my 88-year-old father (which I always try to do on a Sunday, being on his own since my mother died, oh, it must be coming up to four year ago now, though he does remarkably well considering, playing tennis at least twice a week and croquet in the summer - not bad at his age. Some of the youngsters struggle to return his backhands) I'll be back to tell you the identity of this year's avatar gong grabber...

reaching for the champagne while muttering, "It's an honor just to be nominated" while looking stunning in her Vera Wang.

The winner of this year's Simmie for Best Avatar is...

Posted by rufiki (# 11165) on :

*Sits up straight, while trying to look innocent*

... not currently listed in the Recent Visitors to this board.

It's been so long now I've forgotten who the other candidates were.

Chugging on the champagne, eeGAD shouts to no one in particular "I think one must be present to win!" Then passes out.

Marvin the Martian nominated the winning avatar because: "It's just so cute."

"I want the Melt inducing penguin to win. Cute cute cutie pie," said duchess.

Yes, please take a bow...

Doublethink tips the contents of a Champagne ice bucket over her head in an attempt to stay alert.

(You really shouldn't be watching these sort of scenes from work.)

SMUDGIE!

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Posted by Sheep 3 (# 3663) on :

Sheep3 enters and begins lapping up Doublethink's champagne...

Baaaaa.

*jingle*

I knew the penguin would get it.

Through drunken tears I've gotta admit, I love that adorable little penguin!
[Axe murder]

**Screeeech!** Clappity-clang! Clappity-clang! Congrats Smudgie!

Her's jes so cuuuute.

I have to admit I had voted for the Teapot, though.

Told y'all it was terribly hard to choose.

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

Congratulations to my mommy, but Ingrid Third does totally rock the house.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Doublethink tips the contents of a Champagne ice bucket over her head in an attempt to stay alert.

(You really shouldn't be watching these sort of scenes from work.)

That's what you wear to work, Doublethink? What kind of job do you do anyway?

Anyway, hoooray for Smudgie! Bestest little penguin on the Ship!

Posted by §Andrew (# 9313) on :

Congratulations Smudgie!!! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

. . . . drunkenly stumbles over to Erin, spilling her full glass of champagne on Erin's shoes . . . ."I love you too man!" . . . and passes out on the floor. again.

The Press have already been covering the award ceremony.

The in-house magazine of the reporters chose to highlight Ancient Mariner's stellar performance and their reactions to it.

Of course, the Vatican press was not at all impressed and thought the Tiara should get it. They expressed their displeasure.

However, the anti-clericalist atheist press cottoned on to the breast imagery and published a rather nasty opinion piece.

The denizens of Hell could not quite understand the lure of the penguin and castigated the voters.

But the fluffy bunnies' own publication "Big Bright Sun" thought their electioneering tactics had secured the victory.

A new fansite has been started.

Whatever the press have had to say, however, the penguin has won.

Congratulations Smudgie!

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

[Hot and Hormonal]
I'm speechless.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, all you who voted for me. It was an honour even to be nominated by such an august body of people, and to be chosen from such a wide range of amazing avatars shows that you all have incredible good taste too.

I'd like to thank all those who voted for me, my worthy opponents, my loving (if somewhat evil) daughter Erin, my hamsters, the man who delivers the milk every morning (except weekends and Mondays, which is a bit of a nuisance), and, of course, Ancient Mariner for swapping the envelopes at the last minute. (I'll slip you the tenner later, AM).

(Just to be serious for a moment. I really would like to thank all those who make The Ship possible, and all the fantastic shipmates, who have actually kept me .. relatively... sane through the last five rather traumatic years - you are a great crowd of people and I am immensely grateful)

Stately and gracefully, the penguin steps forward to receive her award

Posted by Sheep 3 (# 3663) on :

Sheep3 noses at the cute penguin, takes a tentative lick, and then wanders off.

Baa.

*jingle*

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

While there were some naysayers in the crowd, most everyone else was anxious to offer their congratulations and applause.

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

[Overused] Smudgie

And the small amount of jealousy from some members of the crowd was easily ignored.

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
And the small amount of jealousy from some members of the crowd was easily ignored.

[Overused]

And I look forward to getting my Simmie for Longest Award Ceremony Thread.

Posted by cqg (# 777) on :

Congrats, Smudge. Your avatar reflects the adorableness of you.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Hell to the yes. [Overused]

© Ship of Fools 2016