Thread: VOTE! Newbie of the Year Board: The Simmies 2009 / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=74;t=000027

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Here are the nominations for Newbie of the Year. Please remind yourself of why each person was nominated by reading the post below... and then vote for your choice.

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Here are the nominations, in alphabetical order, for Newbie of the Year.

1. DoS

Nominated by Marvin the Martian: "My reasons for nominating: Just about the funniest little newbie to pop into Hell I can remember. Posts in free verse. Has rambling, vaguely anti-semitic/anti-protestant/anti-muslim thoughts. Has provided me with more entertainment in one afternoon than most newbies manage in a year."

Seconded by dj_ordinaire: "I mean, where the fuck does he get that stuff about Jewish eskimos? To generate such inspired whimsy when one lives in Surrey is truly worthy of recognition (I blame Michael Chabon myself)."

2. Kankucho

Nominated by Marvin the Martian: "The guy turned up to a Meet before his registration had even been activated!"

3. Leaf

Nominated by Earwig: "Leaf has only been here since October, and (at the time of writing) only racked up 22 posts. But they contain gems like the idea of a One True Church-Off and comparing Father Gregory to Elmer Fudd. When Leaf is the last poster on a thread, I already click to see what s/he has to say. One to watch."

4. Patrick the less saintly

Nominated by LQ: "Patrick has rolled into Eccles and succeeded in irritating effectively every liturgical faction on the board. I consider this a token and pledge of certain promise."

5. Phil 99a

Nominated by Zappa: "Phil has settled into a rhythm of posts that fluctuates from creative inanity to thought provoking pleasantry. That range is a result of his choice to target his 770+ posts since June towards the fluffy boards, but hey, fluff is cool, and anyway the man likes dylan."

6. Uffda

Nominated by Nicolemrw: "Because he's only been here since November, but he's made me notice him, and because he's really jumped into the spirit of the ship. (The fact that he's from Buffalo doesn't hurt either.)"

Seconded by (among others) Sir Kevin: "Dude makes me laugh when he replies to my posts. Witty and urbane, he gets a fourth nod for the nomination from me!"

7. wheelie racer

Nominated by East Price Road: "She's only done 70 posts, but I have been mightily impressed with her contributions (I think it's a woman), especially, but not exclusively, some inspirational posts about her disability, e.g. here and here. She also writes so succinctly about social ands church topics, I'm gasping with admiration at times. For me she's a 'must-read' poster."

Seconded by anneinchurch: "I've been reading more than writing this past year, and her thoughts about disability and theology totally impressed me and made me think."

[fixed link]

[ 22. January 2009, 08:05: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posted by Wiff Waff (# 10424) on :

Admins, Hosts, Fellow Shipmates and others - it is a great honour for me to be here before you today to take part in this prestigious event. As soon as I was approached and asked to help out I dashed up into the loft to dig out the Dowager’s [my granny’s] old tiara but sadly it has been sold along with so much else from the Old Queen’s Palace. So here I am, au naturel [that means unclothed, by the way - we don't want the hosts telling me off for using foreign words] - but at least I had a shower before I left home.

Let’s face it folks, we’ve all been newbies at some time in our lives - not just on the Ship but in other places too, in school, in work, in relationships. Sometimes we have made an impact and sometimes we haven’t. Sometimes the impact has been good and sometimes it hasn’t; sometimes not making an impact has been pretty good as well! This award goes to a newbie from the board from 2008 who has certainly made a positive impact on The Ship of Fools.

I wonder who it is going to be.

What do you think, Jahlove Darhhhling?

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

Thank you, Wiff Waff - hope you're not always that premature [Smile]

Could we save the - ahem - semi-nekkid gents for later, eh? This is a Thready Party, not a Freddie Party. And talking in tongues, again? - well two can play at that game:

Dydh ha hag dynnargh dhis - ple'ma an bysva? *

*Hello and Welcome - where's the toilet? (Useful Cornish Phrases #1)§

I am sitting here in the exotic location of Li-Ving Rhüum, wearing my red-carpet outfit and Badge of Office , hand-lettered by The Hidden Guild of Atlantean Painters & Decorators (Est. 10,000 BC: Free Estimates), trembling with anticipation, as I am sure you all are as well , to discover just who is our Newbie of the Year 2008. On this august occasion, one surely cannot help but recall the words of Ludwig Wittgenstein: "die zweite Tür"§

§ second door

Furthermore,

[Hot and Hormonal] hides head in shame, takes a deep breath

Okay, enough of the polyglotishness [Roll Eyes] let’s get on with the show - it’s not as if we are competing with Dickie Attenbrough here [Eek!] You’ve got the envelope, let’s hear the name.

<Loud Drumroll & Voice-over>

the trumpets blare from the four cardinal points, the 64 foot diaposon makes the floor vibrate as Jahlove picks up the zircon encrusted handled, faux chrome plated plastic paper knife in her elegantly gloved hand and slips it under the flap of the envelope…

Oops! Yes, we were saving the Dickies for later, weren't we? [Biased]

I am delighted to announce the Winner of the Ship of Fools Newbie of the Year 2008 - LaydeeznGennelmen, please give it up for

<squeal of glee>

LEAF

[Big Grin] Many Congratulations [Big Grin]

CONGRATULATIONS LEAF

A well deserved award!

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

<clap, clap, CLAP, CLAP>

Well done Leaf.

And now here's a special bit of applause for the magnificent outfit worn by our presenter Jahlove [Overused]

Father!!!!! [Eek!]

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Vive la Canadienne!

[Big Grin]

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

[Yipee] recognised from the podium!!!!

<<<CLAPS LOUDER>>>>>>

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

Huzzah! Well done and congratulations to Leaf!

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Are we going to hear an acceptance speech?

I see Leaf in the audience! Come on up!

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
... here's a special bit of applause for the magnificent outfit worn by our presenter Jahlove...

< ...it is to be expected that a man with Breast-Shaped Headgear must have a particularly enlarged and well-developed sense of Fashion... comment was appropriate...

...Waits expectantly for the Leaf to Speak...>

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

Ohmigod! Ohmigod! Ohmigod! I don't know who to thank first! I'd just like to... Wait. Why is that robot coming toward me with that strange whirring attachment? NOOOO!!!

(leaf chiffonade blows delicately across marble tile)

...gives Leaf a hearty slap on the back - dislodging the award from sweaty palms.

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

Hoorah!!! That's so exciting! I'm just sorry I couldn't be there to see you collect the award. [Yipee]

Posted by kankucho (# 14318) on :

* feels a bit foolish, having gone out and bought a dress and everything *

Well done, Leaf. [Smile]

Posted by uffda (# 14310) on :

Leaf deserves the blessings of St. Blaise so that there will be no choking on the award.
Well done, Leaf!

© Ship of Fools 2016