Thread: Awards Show on Sunday Board: The Simmies 2009 / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=74;t=000033

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

The conclusion of the first ever Simmies Awards will take place this Sunday between 4 and 8pm (UK time), at our glittering Awards Show. Specially invited shipmates will be walking the red carpet and presenting each of the 15 awards, all on this board. Who will win Best Avatar? Who will become Hell Denizen of the Year? Which thread will win the coveted Best Thread trophy? And who will become Host and Shipmate of the Year? Come along to find out, throw peanuts and gawp at Kate Winslet-style acceptance speeches.

We'll be sampling the polls at midnight (UK time) on Saturday night, and those samples will be taken as the definitive result of the Simmies vote. Although the polls close at 2200 (board time) on Sunday night, we want to be able to reveal the winners in the Awards Show, which is why we're closing the Simmies vote ahead of the polls closing. Any votes cast after midnight on Saturday night won't be counted... so if you haven't yet voted, now's the time!

[ 30. January 2009, 09:17: Message edited by: Simon ]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Sounds great, so long as we don't have to listen to the acceptance speeches, I would like to thank, God, Jesus, my parents, my spouse, my children, the next door neighbours, the local bus driver...and my pet hamster. [Snigger]

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
...Specially invited shipmates will be walking the red carpet and presenting each of the 15 awards, all on this board.

<raises hand> As a Hell Denizen nominee, I'd be honored to present the Golden Asshat at the Awards Show.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Sounds great, so long as we don't have to listen to the acceptance speeches, I would like to thank, God, Jesus, my parents, my spouse, my children, the next door neighbours, the local bus driver...and my pet hamster. [Snigger]

If RooK wins anything, I'm inclined to think that this might not be quite the acceptance speech we end up with.

Oh and... bleurgh! I'll be stuck up a mountain at the time!

Posted by Max. (# 5846) on :

Anybody in London fancy meeting in a Wetherspoons with a Laptop to get the proper Awards Ceremony effect? (Basically Drinking)

Max.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Most Americans will be more concerned about some sort of sports event that I understand is taking place Sunday [Disappointed] .

I'll be much more interested in the results of The Simmies [Big Grin] .

Posted by monkeylizard (# 952) on :

4p to 8p UK time will be 11a to 3p on the East Coast of the US. The Super Bowl doesn't start until about 6:20p on the East Coast.

We should be able to manage both into a single day. Besides, the drinking for the Simmies will serve as a nice warm-up for the drinking for the game.

[ 30. January 2009, 13:31: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
We should be able to manage both into a single day. Besides, the drinking for the Simmies will serve as a nice warm-up for the drinking for the game.

I'll stick to the drinking and the Simmies.
[Biased]

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
Anybody in London fancy meeting in a Wetherspoons with a Laptop to get the proper Awards Ceremony effect? (Basically Drinking)

Max.

Hmmm, I could be tempted by this...
Once I've left w*rk for the day I'll think about the possibility-level of this. ANyone else?

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Here at last is absolute proof that this cannot possibly be a Christian website: he's gorn and chosen to time it bang on the time for Evensong.

This is probably not a Christian website. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

Evensong lasts for 4 hours? [Eek!]

No, but we have to get there, have our rehearsal, robe, sing Evensong, try not to set ourselves alight (for it is Candlemas), talk to any potential Mystery Worshippers so they don't think we're ever so unfriendly, and then get home again. That takes up most of the time.

BTW, when you have finished enjoying the awards ceremony (I'll try to look in at the end - because of course I never go to the pub after Evensong), why not tune in to Sunday Half Hour and the RSCM singers (8.30pm, Radio 2). If you listen very carefully you might hear Mr. C. singing.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

This is probably not a Christian website. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

[Killing me]
Thanks for that, on an unproductive Friday afternoon [Big Grin] [Killing me]

Posted by eeGAD (# 4675) on :

(practicing my speech) "Its an honor just to be nominated."

. . . but more importantly . . .

Will the Simmies have semi-entertaining commercials just like the Super Bowl?

eeG

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 66) on :

Since I don't have a computer at home I suppose I could go to a friend's house. On the other hand I could just wait until Monday morning like I do everything else.

(I have finally made a commitment to go buy a television set tomorrow and I'm not even really sure I want to do that. Who knows where it might lead? A cell phone? Frankly I enjoy not being constantly available. It's very peaceful.)

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Who knows where it might lead? A cell phone? Frankly I enjoy not being constantly available. It's very peaceful.

No, no, Sine! Stand firm! Don't leave me as the last person on earth without a cell phone!

(I do have a TV, but it's only for watching DVDs and videos.)

Posted by Organ Builder (# 12478) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Don't leave me as the last person on earth without a cell phone!

You wouldn't be.

quote:

Of COURSE it is. That's what we all say...Before you know it, Sine will be watching HGTV 24/7.

What's a cell phone?

Sounds like one of those horrid mobile thingies. Bleurgh.

I never did work out whether to press button A or button B.

quote:

You mean they don't have dials anymore?

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Can anyone write an excuse for me to get out of the 11:00 service? This being the more important thing to do on a Sunday morning, of course! [Big Grin]

I'm sure no one will notice if you have a laptop sitting at the organ with you. [Biased]

Posted by Traveller (# 1943) on :

quote:
quote:

Chorister is showing her age. The old public telephone boxes (with dials!) used to need four pennies (that's four OLD pennies) inserted before making the call. You pressed button A to talk to the person if the call went through, and button B to get your money back if it didn't.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
quote:

No. The button A and B thing proved too confusing - if you didn't follow the sequence exactly you could lose your money. Now, you just pick up the phone and tell the operator what exchange and number you want, as it might be, Whitehall 1212, and she does it all for you.

I prefer to use two plastic cups and a piece of string, meself.

Really? Far too technical when a hollow log and club will suffice. Failing that, smoke signals will get your message out.

Posted by Anselm (# 4499) on :

quote:

I believe that's what George Bush said about the nuclear launch codes.

quote:
Originally posted by Anselm:
quote:

I believe that's what George Bush said about the nuclear launch codes.
[Killing me]

Posted by eeGAD (# 4675) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Can anyone write an excuse for me to get out of the 11:00 service? This being the more important thing to do on a Sunday morning, of course! [Big Grin]

Papal Dispensation? Well, perhaps that won't hold much water with the Methodists.... What about a Simon Dispensation? I recommend applying for one of those.

eeG

Posted by pete173 (# 4622) on :

Alas - will miss all the fun - in Oxford, interviewing an ordinand and preaching at evensong in Worcester College Chapel. Will have to applaud virtually and wait with bated breath to see the results.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

You're letting your - gulp - day job get in the way of this? Shame [Disappointed]

Runs around backstage working on some of the finishing touches for the upcoming ceremony.

Oh, I must get home to get ready soon. Everything must be perfect - the hair, the makeup, the accessories ... And I better make sure Alan's got his outfit assembled.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Alas - will miss all the fun - in Oxford, interviewing an ordinand and preaching at evensong in Worcester College Chapel. Will have to applaud virtually and wait with bated breath to see the results.

can you write Judy's excuse note before you go? I think your signature might help! [Big Grin]

as for me, it will be during my earliest attacks on the coffee maker, so I'll be wearing my poshest pajama ensemble for the event. in this case, flannel jammie bottoms and aworn out Patron Tee I got from the bar.

I'll make sure to do an extra swivel on the catwalk. [Big Grin]

[ 01. February 2009, 09:57: Message edited by: comet ]

Pete 173, don't worry - I've found a stand-in for you. They'll never notice the difference.

Posted by Ancient Mariner (# 4) on :

quote:
Pete 173, don't worry - I've found a stand-in for you. They'll never notice the difference.

More sinput.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I'll be a bit late, but I'll be there. Do you think anyone will notice that I'll be using a pre-recorded floppy towards the end of the service? [Hot and Hormonal]

Thanks for the written excuses, I'm sure Pastor J will be very accommodating!

Who will become the proud owner of one of these babies this afternoon? Watch and pray...

-

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

awww! [Yipee]

nice fingernails, boss.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

How attractive is that!

I meant the award.

The nails are nice & clean, tho.

(... et-ask, what does your manicurist use to get them so shiny?... )

[ 01. February 2009, 13:20: Message edited by: Janine ]

He does no work.

Posted by frin (# 9) on :

Here up north, is a frenzied hive of activity. Dyfrig is resplendent in his cassock, surplice, and a fetching blue scarf. 'frin has not yet confirmed what she will be wearing, as she is distractedly rummaging through a makeup back to find just the right shade of lipstick to smear on the confessional activity at her alternative worship group tonight. Evensong and liturgical kisses could not keep this couple away from the Simmies awards. See you later.

[Steps up to The Simmies podium in tuxedo... taps microphone...]

Hello and welcome to The Simmies 2009, where we are celebrating the best and the gloriously worst of the boards over the past year. The votes -- all 1810 of them -- have now been counted, and we're now ready to announce the winners of each category.

Over the next four hours, our guest presenters (a big thank you to all of them!) will be awarding The Simmies on the relevant threads... so keep watching to see as the threads update. The winners are then invited to setp up to the podium to give their acceptance speeches. Once they've done that, their awards will be winging their way to them by mail.

Thank you, God bless, and enjoy the show.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Captain! My Captain!

You've been beaten to it!

Gort arrives fashionably late by limousine, steps out and waves to the paparazzi and cheering throng.

but it is a windy day and.....

...the kilt flies up to reveal a smooth, featureless exoskeleton!

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Yah, yah, but it's the extendable stuff folks would be interested in. Maybe at the press photo-ops after the ceremony?

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Is there any chance that the could have a Master of Ceremonies? We seem to have at least three presentations underway, and we are waiting for Leaf's acceptance speech.

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Yah, yah, but it's the extendable stuff folks would be interested in. Maybe at the press photo-ops after the ceremony?

Thank you - thank you!, please...no autographs!

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Doublethink hums a familiar tune.

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:

congratulations! I am thrilled for you. I always knew you would win. I voted for you as many times as I could. [Overused]

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:

congratulations! I am thrilled for you. I always knew you would win. I voted for you as many times as I could. [Overused]
I did? Where? What? Yorick snagged the GAA before I could grab it...

[ 01. February 2009, 17:14: Message edited by: Gort ]

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

Oops. Guess I was mistaken. [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

That was just me pushing through the crowd outside when I first arrived. Dang - you had me all excited for a moment!

Posted by Angel Wrestler (# 13673) on :

I'm here! I'm here! Did I miss it? No!

Whew! Thank goodness.

Looking good, Gort! Very fashionable indeed.

Whoo hoo! Thanks so much to all our presenters. You all looked smashing! Kudos to all the winners. And to the nonwinners (musn't say losers, I think it might push Erin over the edge), remember, it was an honour just to be nominated!

Brilliantly done all!

Now who's cleaning up this mess?

Posted by cqg (# 777) on :

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
Of COURSE it is. That's what we all say...Before you know it, Sine will be watching HGTV 24/7.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

© Ship of Fools 2016