Thread: Erin: Jason breaks the news Board: Glory / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=75;t=000006

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

My name is Jason Etheredge. My sister is Erin Etheredege. I am writing this to inform her friends that she passed away last Thursday on December 30. She talked a lot about this website and mentioned that she had friends here. I have accessed her account to provide everyone who knew her of her passing. If anyone has questions about her death or services you can email at [email address deleted]. Services will be helled this Friday @ 11:00am in Jacksonville Fl. Please don't hesitate to email me with any questions.

Sincerely,

Jason Etheredge

[Admin note added]
We've decided to remove the email address Jason gave, as he's been receiving more emails than he can handle at the moment. The expressions of sympathy from Shipmates are a wonderful statement of the love and respect we all had for Erin. Please continue to post on the threads on the Erin board, we're sure Jason will read the tributes there as he has time. If there's something more personal you wish to say to her family, please pass it onto one of the admins here and we'll forward them to Jason in more manageable quantities.

Alan

[ 11. May 2011, 16:18: Message edited by: Spike ]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

May her memory be eternal, and may her soul repose with the blessed.

This is such a shock! Thank you for telling us.

[ 04. January 2011, 01:39: Message edited by: mousethief ]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Dear God.

Posted by Silver Faux (# 8783) on :

Oh my God.
Prayers for her family; not possible to even begin to say how much she is respected here.
She gave so much, honesty foremost always.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

[Votive] [Votive]

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

Jason, I am so sorry for your loss. And ours.

May Erin's memory be eternal.

Posted by Zach82 (# 3208) on :

May she rest in peace, and rise to glory.

Zach

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Dear Lord. This is a horrible shock.

Jason, can you tell us any more?

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Oh no! I don't believe this.

Prayers for all of Erin's family and loved ones.
[Votive]

Posted by Mili (# 3254) on :

My sympathy and prayers to you and your family, Jason. Erin, her role and contribution here will forever be remembered. She was one of a kind and no-one will ever be albe to fill her shoes. Prayers to fellow members who were close to Erin too. [Votive]

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

Prayers for all Erin's family and friends in their time of grief. Prayers too for Erin, and thanks to God for her life and in particular her contribution to this online community.

A great shock.

[ 04. January 2011, 02:25: Message edited by: Vulpior ]

Posted by Latchkey Kid (# 12444) on :

Prayers for Erin and all who loved her. [Votive]

Posted by guinness girl (# 4391) on :

I'm in total shock and deeply saddened. Praying for Erin's family and loved ones. She will be very much missed here [Frown]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Oh, no. This is so hard to take in.

Jason, thank you so much for contacting us. Erin was beyond amazing. [Frown]

Prayers for Erin's family. [Votive]

For Erin in Heaven [Votive]

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 95) on :

My deepest sympathies to the family and her other friends. She was a force of nature and will be very much missed.

Charlotte (in shock)

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Like everyone else, I am deeply shocked and mourn her passing.

Jason, a prayer for you and your family and many thanks for passing on the news. You must see from what people have posted above that Erin was deeply loved and respected here - she will be hugely missed.

In my faith tradition we talk of giving thanks for the grace of God in the life of someone who has died - and that grace of God was so evident in Erin.

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

My prayers too.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

Jason, I am so sorry. My deepest sympathies to you and all Erin's family.

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

I'm so sorry for your loss.

This is such a shock.

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
My deepest sympathies to the family and her other friends. She was a force of nature and will be very much missed.

Charlotte (in shock)

Yes, indeed.

Posted by Niteowl2 (# 15841) on :

My prayers go out to Erin's family and friends.

This site will not the same without her. [Votive]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

This is shocking news. I am so, so sorry. May flights of angels see her to her rest.

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

I am simply left without adequate words. There has been a disturbance in the Force.

May her memory be eternal, and may light perpetual shine upon her. In Your mercy, Lord, grant her your peace.

[Votive]

Posted by Flounder (# 3859) on :

Oh my God. I am so terribly sorry!

Posted by AdamPater (# 4431) on :

Thanks to God for Erin's life and the impacts she made. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.
Grace and peace to her and her family.
[Votive]

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

Oh Erin.

Holy shit.

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Oh Erin.

Holy shit.

Amen!

That is such an Erin-like prayer, Comet. Thank you.

Yeah, well, my current blubbering like a sissy isnt very Erin-like but I suspect she'd forgive me.

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

I sit here with tears in my eyes because I will not hear her wonderful voice again.

Those of us who have know her since almost the beginning of things (over 10 years for me) I can tell you Erin was and will always make me laugh. She was a true original and we got along in so many ways. Not the least was that we found out her grandfather was a member of my parish church! I never got to meet her physically - well, (actually, no one did,) but I did threaten to show up at her work many a time, but sadly my threats are not to be. [Tear]

I know one day we will meet in heaven and have lots of things to reminisce about.

So tonight, as you read this, hug a loved one, tell someone how much they have meant to you, because tomorrow might be too late. Thank heaven Erin knew I loved her.

a very sad Motherboard

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

Fuck.

I'm going to miss Erin's sensitive wielding of her Rusty Farm Implement.

I have a feeling she's looking down at us all running around like headless chickens and giggling like mad!

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

Dear God. Awful. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posted by tomb (# 174) on :

I am shocked and deeply saddened. Erin annoyed the hell out of me on many occasions, but she was the rudder of the Ship.

What happened??

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

Oh, Lord. She, of all people, was supposed to live forever. And certainly not pass before me.

There are not many who came before her on this vessel.

My world has just turned upside down.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

[Votive] for Erin
[Votive] for her family
[Votive] for her shipmates

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

Jesus. This is a very sad shock.

What will she do in heaven? There's no bullshit to cut through there.

Prayers and condolences to her family.

Posted by tomb (# 174) on :

Why didn't she tell us she was sick, so we could pray?

Some of us knew a little, tomb. But I certainly didnt quite realize it was as serious as this. She was very understated. Didnt want to make a fuss, I suspect. I can appreciate that.

[ 04. January 2011, 04:45: Message edited by: comet ]

Comet: I knew that there was a bit of trouble, bit nothing like this. So sad.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

May she rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

I'm sure Heaven will be ridder of trolls than ever before. Well done, Erin. Good to know you. Thank you for your inspiration. [Votive]

Thank you, Jason. Blessings to you and yours, and us. [Votive]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Oh shit. I'm Gobsmacked. I never knew her, of course, but she was a part of who we the ship are - and the gap she leaves behind is immeasurable. My prayers join countless others' for her and those who loved her.

[Votive]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Such sad news for you to have to tell us. Our prayers for her and all who loved her.

She will be very much missed here.

Posted by Leetle Masha (# 8209) on :

May the soul of our friend Erin, Thy handmaid, rest among the saints in heaven, and may she dwell with the blessed ones, where there is neither sickness, nor sighing, nor pain, but life eternal. Amen.

With love to everyone who knew her and who knew what a good job she did of making the Ship of Fools a place where we could all be together--may we merrily meet in heaven!

Mary

Posted by Spiffy (# 5267) on :

May light perpetual shine on her.
May all who mourn be comforted.

[ 04. January 2011, 04:56: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Stunned. Erin gave me a lot to think about and a lot of laughs over the years. She contributed so much to this place.

I'm now picturing Miss Molly and Gambit putting out an extra chair and breaking out the Green & Blacks Maya Gold to welcome a newbie.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

She always had my utmost respect, mingled with real liking and a healthy fear!

I am deeply saddened. My prayers for all who knew and loved her.

[Votive]

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
[...] Services will be helled [...] (italics mine)

"It's what she would have wanted." [Devil] [Tear]

[ 04. January 2011, 05:04: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

Thankful in any case for her presence in this place and in my life.

God grant me her courage and strength of conviction.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

I swapped PMs many years ago with Erin after she mentioned she was worried about some test results she was waiting for (which ended up being all clear as far as I recall). It was about then that I came to appreciate there was a real and very human person beneath the persona. She will leave a big hole.

And on a wry note, I'm sure this typo
quote:
Services will be helled this Friday
would meet with her full approval!

[x-p with Wesley]

[ 04. January 2011, 05:09: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

One of her last posts was in response to my mock-apology for bringing record low temperatures to Florida recently. Lovely to think that we corresponded on the most British of topics, the weather and decent chocolate.

I have a feeling the typo was deliberate and that she left a note for Jason asking him to put it that way - a sort of little nudge from beyond. She just had to get the last word in.

I completely missed it. Fabulous!

Posted by Nanny Ogg (# 1176) on :

Erin will be missed. Her ability to keep the Ship going and troubleshoot sock puppets and trolls was and will remain legendary.

R.I.P Erin [Votive]

Posted by Athrawes (# 9594) on :

Really saddened to hear this. [Votive] for her family, that they may be comforted.

Posted by Benedictus (# 1215) on :

It's hard to imagine a world without Erin in it. Prayers for her and all who loved her. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

Thank you, God, for Erin and her valiant service against the forces of jerkdom.

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

So shocked. I used to chat to Erin in the cafe in the old days when we did the ark.

Thoughts with the rest of the family. Thankyou for posting here- she has made a difference to a lot of our lives.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

OMG! [Tear] [Votive]

{{{{{{{{Erin}}}}}}}}

Peace and blessings to all affected, and a wonderful welcome for Erin in Heaven.

She was very kind to me on a couple of occasions.

I knew a *little* bit about her health problems. We PMed when she mentioned on the boards that she was going to have "a pain procedure". Hope it's ok to share what she told me:

quote:
It's funny, I've always had a high tolerance for pain, but nothing has ever kicked my butt like the herniated disc sitting on my nerve root. I understand why House is such a bastard; if I knew I had to live with this for the rest of my life I'd be one, too. [Smile]

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

OMG. Similar comments to others. [Overused] [Axe murder] [Tear] [Votive] (She loved smileys didn't she? ) [Two face]

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

I simply don't know what to say [Frown]

Neil

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

[Frown]

Posted by Chapelhead (# 21) on :

Gosh, what a shock.

Prayers for all Erin's family and friends.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

What a woman, what a unique woman. May she move freely in that place of no darkness and no pain, and may light perpetual shine upon her. [Votive]

Posted by Suze (# 5639) on :

This place will be much the poorer without her.

[Votive] for those who knew, loved and now miss her.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Thank you for telling us Jason, when you're in the middle of all the other stuff you must be dealing with.

Erin has been such a pivotal part of the Ship, such a strength and power keeping it on course and focussed, that losing her is difficult. It feels as if something vital has been ripped from the core of this community.

[Votive]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Sorry, double posting to add something

At the formal opening of the Ship's Café on April Fool's Day 2008, Erin was one of the people who came in to chat, That's partly why we got that name change amnesty - a late night conversation from this side of the Pond with begging from a few people. And she was amazing. She was also pretty horrified to be the only living person to have a room named after her.

For those who don't know, the café's rooms include The Bridge, the 'Gator Lounge, the Gambit Bar and the Miss Molly Chapel.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

This is unbelievable.

Rest in peace, Erin. [Votive]

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

Such a great loss for the ship as an institution and for those of uswho knew her, if only through posts and PMs. She will be very much missed. [Votive]

Posted by Alfred E. Neuman (# 6855) on :

In Memoriam, I'd just like to share my last exchange with Erin posted the evening of Dec.29, 2010 (from "Any Boundaries? (Trainwrecked by MerlintheMad)" now in Oblivion):
quote:
Merlin, I think that was the most offensive diatribe I've ever read on these boards. I'm tired of your thinly-veiled crusading against teh evil... well, everyone who isn't you. But this actually crossed a line, so we are shaking the dust from your sandals and sending you on your way. Don't write.

quote:
Originally posted by Alfred E. Neuman:
...Whoooa. Another one bites the dust.

[Hi Erin! How's things out Florida way? Been wearing long-johns?]

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Are you volunteering to be the next shore leave victim, Alfred?

quote:
What? Are you saying my sucking-up reference to the freezing Florida weather won't win me a few more days here?

quote:
This weather is some fucking bullshit, I'll tell you that. I think it's supposed to be close to 70 this weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to defrost for a couple of days.

I suspect you're now basking in eternal light, Erin. Thanks for being so gentle while slapping me upside the head these many years. May the Great Gator hold you in His loving jaws. You will be missed.

Posted by rexory (# 4708) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

Jason, thank you so much for taking time from your personal grief to share this sad news with us. You may not have realised the love and esteem which people here had for your sister, or that what may first appear to be a simple website has such a strength of community and involvement that the passing of someone whom most people have never met in person can have such a profound effect on so many. We will be praying for you and your family in your loss.

Hope heaven holds an opportunity for me to meet Erin at last.

In immense gratitude for all Erin has done for Ship of Fools and for her friendship, and for the fun of being her mum for a while (see the Nativity play. My bladder will never be the same again!)

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Erin was a one-off. The uniqueness of this unrestful place, and its longevity, is probably more down to her than anyone else. I think she had the best nose for bullshit of anyone I have ever come across. A passionate firer of invariably well-aimed darts. Remarkably responsible. And vulnerable as we all are.

I'm reminded of just a couple of lines from Joni Mitchell.

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got til its gone"

As Erin might have said (as she did say to me recently on Host Board). Ain't that the friggin' truth. This rowdy cyber-family here is in loss today.

[Votive] for Erin, Jason and family

Posted by Think² (# 1984) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

Rest in Peace Erin [Votive]
For Erin's family and friends [Votive]
We will all miss her.

A

Posted by Nunc Dimittis (# 848) on :

Shocked disbelief here.

Erin, rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

Posted by Jenny Ann (# 3131) on :

Rest In Peace.

[Votive]

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

[Votive] for Erin and
[Votive] for everyone for whom she was special.

Posted by Stoo (# 254) on :

Oh, God... awful news.

Thoughts and prayers with her family and friends.

Posted by Alfred E. Neuman (# 6855) on :

A link from Erin's profile! [Big Grin]

quote:
A link from Erin's profile! [Big Grin]

!ROTFL! Thanks for that.

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

[Votive] May she rest in peace.

Posted by Tea gnome (# 9424) on :

What a shock. Prayers for you and yours Jason.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

From the time I joined the Hosts until just this Christmas, Erin has been a help and support. Our last PM exchange was Christmas "cards". Gruff, yes. Impatience for bullshit, yes. But underneath a gentle woman. I will miss her every time I post on this board and look for her avatar.

Posted by Jenn. (# 5239) on :

She'll be missed greatly.

Many prayers for her family and friends [Votive]

Rest in Peace

Posted by Dave Walker (# 14) on :

Incredibly sad news. Thoughts and prayers are with friends and family.

Posted by shamwari (# 15556) on :

[Votive]

"Let light perpetual shine upon her, and in Your loving wisdom and almighty power work in her the good purpose of Your perfect will."

Posted by JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief (# 2049) on :

[Votive] Erin
[Votive] For Erin's brother Jason and the full family as they share in grief.

To quote from memory as best I can a SoF Nativity Play several years ago. There is another star in heaven today ...

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

I've just got off a plane; switching my phone back on there was text from Ariel breaking the news. Like the rest of you I'm shocked; like the rest of you I am going to miss Erin. Some nine years ago, when I was going through a very low point indeed, she sent me some very comforting PMs. I'm glad I've still got them in my box, and didn't throw them away.

Many of us will be unable to get to her funeral. Can we do something on the Ship at the same time, to remember her, please?

[Votive] for Erin, and all who love her.

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

This swamp will never be the same.
I miss those big teeth already.

[Votive] Erin.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

It's taken me a couple of hours to reach a state where I can even think of posting. Erin was the heart and soul of this site, without her the boards we know and love would either not exist, or be completely different. She will be irreplacable here, though we'll struggle along to try and make her look down on us with pride that we're still going strong.

I still remember early in June 2000 when I'd been engaged in some discussion in Purgatory on evolution, when she posted something along the lines of "Alan, stop playing about and read your email". I thought I was in real trouble - it turned out I was, because the email was asking me to host Purgatory. And, on one occasion in the Cafe she told me off for being too quiet.

[Votive]

Posted by TonyK (# 35) on :

Jason - so sorry to hear this sad news. She was one of the guiding lights on the Ship and will be sorely missed.

My condolences to you and the rest of her family - you will all be in our prayers. [Votive] [Votive]

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord
And let light perpetual shine upon her.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

My God! - what a shock.

I only knew Erin through her magnificent posts on the Ship, and by her resolutely steady hand on the tiller, but I feel like I've lost a dear friend.

[Votive] for her friends and family. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posted by Bronwyn (# 52) on :

[Votive]

Such a shock. Alan I can imagine her doing that.

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

What a shock. May she rise in glory! [Votive]

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Ooof!

I'm sure the typo in the OP was appropriate, whether or not intended, and that Erin would be the first to agree.

I always managed to evade her sharp teeth, although I did get a close snap once or twice. The fact that those teeth were there always acted as a deterrent. They kept me closer to the straight and narrow.

Now those incisors are no longer circling beneath the waters, I resolve not to act as if they are no longer there. That would be the best tribute any of us could give to Erin.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory, and may light eternal shine upon her. [Votive]

And I'm sure the Lord will find more work for her gnashers in some way, shape or form yet to be revealed.

If any of us get a nip on the backside as we cross the Jordan then we'll know that the legacy remains.

Our condolences to her family and all who knew and loved her.

She will be missed.

Posted by pete173 (# 4622) on :

A shock.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory. Thank God for every memory of her (even if, for many of us, those memories are only virtual ones!)

Posted by Eloise (# 4292) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

Erin, I'd really like to call you to Hell for leaving us without saying goodbye. And for leaving us with a massive gator-shaped hole. Dammit, we'll miss you.

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Jason, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Erin leaving so suddenly must be a terrible shock to your family, as it is to all of us here, and my thoughts and prayers are with you and Erin. She has been with us here since the very beginning of opening these boards in 1998, and has been the bright, fierce and always colourful guiding spirit behind them ever since. Everyone here owes a huge debt of gratitude for the energy, imagination and love she has given to this online community. Thank you for telling us; my deepest sympathies and respects to your family.

Posted by The Great Gumby (# 10989) on :

Shit!

That's all I can manage right now.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Give rest O Christ to thy servant with thy saints
Where sorrow and pain are no more, neither sighing, but life everlasting.

[Votive] [Votive]

Posted by Lots of Yay (# 2790) on :

That really really sucks. So sorry to hear it.

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

A great shock.

[Votive] May Erin rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive] Prayers for Jason, and for the rest of the family. Thank you, Jason, for letting us know.

Posted by Imaginary Friend (# 186) on :

[Frown]

[Votive]

I don't have any other words.

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

[Votive] for all who knew and loved Erin, for all who will miss her presence in their lives, both real and virtual.

Posted by uffda (# 14310) on :

[Votive] for Erin's family and friends.
[Votive] for the Ship

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

This is sad. Jason, may you gently heal through your bereavement.

Erin was very friendly, kind to me, and excellent and I'll miss her every time I click on.

[Votive] Jason and Erin [Votive]

Posted by Wood (# 7) on :

My prayers for her repose. And for her family and friends.

I have not spoken to Erin for some years now, but I saw Dave Walker post it on Twitter.

Erin was something, really something. The world is sadder knowing she isn't in it anymore.

That is all.

Posted by Deckhand (# 15545) on :

I am a relatively recent recruit and had no personal dealings with her, but I read many of her posts - both current and archived. I imagine she is irreplaceable and the Ship will not be the same without her.
[Votive]

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

Erin has been a big part of the Ship as long as I can remeber. This is so sad. She will be grately missed.

[Votive]

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

[Votive] For Erin, and for all who will so keenly feel her absence.

Posted by Viola (# 20) on :

My deepest condolences to Jason and all of Erin's family. Our worlds will be poorer without her.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

You know something pretty major is going on here when Rook's Maple Leaf turns black.

I don't think more needs saying.

Jengie

Posted by iGeek (# 777) on :

She is such a massive part of Ship culture, this place will truly not be the same.

Thank you God for her gifts to us and for her life. Comfort the hearts of those who grieve and bring to remembrance her unmatched wit and incisive BS detection. May chuckles accompany our tears.

Posted by St Everild (# 3626) on :

I am sorry to hear this. Something has been lost from the Ship and from life.

Posted by nomadicgrl (# 7623) on :

Though I am mostly a lurker and never had direct dealings, I enjoyed Erin's posts and could sense her hand on the tiller making this ship run well....Deepest condolences to her family and friends (virtual and otherwise).

Posted by Boopy (# 4738) on :

So sorry to hear this. I always managed to stay well under Erin's radar but will miss her scarily incisive wit. [Votive]

Posted by goperryrevs (# 13504) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

Ouch. Never had direct dealings with her myself, but often enjoyed reading her posts.

Here's hoping that whatever comes next to her spirit is warm, enjoyable and with much good chocolate!

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

Her persona/nickname of the Alligator expressed something of what the Ship, and authentic Christianity, is about. Honesty, directness and an ability to cut through the crap.

So sad that she will not continue to challenge us in these ways.

[Votive] May she rest in peace.

Posted by Mad Cat (# 9104) on :

So sad to hear this news.... Erin's wit and wisdom will be grievously missed.

God bless you and your family Jason, and flights of angels sing your sister and our friend into the Lord's presence [Votive]

Posted by clare (# 17) on :

Unbelievable. I agree with the poster who said she was a 'force of nature'. She gave so much to this place and I learnt much from her clearsightedness - in community dynamics, in faith and in glimpses of gentleness.

And always in awe of her unparalleled wit... one of my earliest 'cultural adjustments' when joining this place. Very much enjoyed working with her on The Ark.

Sad news both for all shipmates, and her friends and family in her non-ship world. Thank you for letting us know Jason.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Oh dear Lord God. This just can't be. It's wrong.

Posted by Wateracre (# 15406) on :

Very very sad news. Much peace and love to Erin's family.

Tom

Posted by TubaMirum (# 8282) on :

[Votive]

Posted by sophs (# 2296) on :

[Votive]

I'm shocked. She was a wonderful woman.

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

From reading ship history, I know that if it hadn't been for her, this place would have folded early on.

My only interaction with Erin was in the Ark Cafe and the first day or two of the new ship's cafe; I enjoyed talking to her.

My condolences to Jason and the rest of her family.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

What terrible news - so so sorry. My prayers for Jason and all his family as they mourn. And for us too.

Erin was unique, we'll not see her like again. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive]

Posted by Margaret (# 283) on :

I didn't believe it at first - it just didn't seem possible. What dreadful news!
[Votive] for Erin's happy repose in the place where no trolls trouble
[Votive] for all who mourn her loss

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

The world gets just a little bit grayer.

[Votive]

Posted by Anna B (# 1439) on :

No, no, no, no, no...

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

This is such a shock

Erin will be sadly missed

[Votive]

Posted by Chesterbelloc (# 3128) on :

Deeply sad. Terrible void. She's missed immediately.

In manus tuas, Domine.

Posted by Alwyn (# 4380) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Alicïa (# 7668) on :

Deeply shocked. RIP Erin [Votive]

As a long time lurker and part-time poster I have grown to admire and respect Erin over the years and this is a very sad moment for the ship.

My thoughts and prayers with the Etheredge family. [Votive]

[ 04. January 2011, 12:02: Message edited by: Alicïa ]

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

Very shocked & saddened - sympathy to Erin's family.

Like some others, I've had a nip or two from the Gator but also understanding and kindness.

[Votive] Erin, Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory

[Tear]

Posted by The Mid (# 1559) on :

[Votive]

See Erin. I told you it would take something massive for me to ever use that one!

Thoughts and prayers with her family, friends and shipmates.

Posted by East Price Road (# 13846) on :

[Votive] RIP Erin.

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

All of the above. [Votive]

If Erin hadn't intervened in a thread, it hardly seemed worth continuing to read it. Her way with vitriol and put-downs was amazing - and so was her fierce loyalty to the Ship and all it stands for.

May she rest in peace, free from pain, and may she rise in glory!

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Shocked and sorry to read this. It doesn't seem possible.

Posted by Wyclif (# 5391) on :

Very sorry to hear about this, may God grant her the peace that surpasses all understanding.

I have not logged into the boards for many years now, this is my first post in a LONG time. But I remember Erin from the early years-- I can only echo the sentiments of another member above: she was like the rudder on this Ship.

Blessings and condolences to the family.

Posted by Lev (# 50) on :

My deepest condolences to you Jason and all of Erin's family.

...Lev

Posted by Peter Owen (# 134) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Jessie Phillips (# 13048) on :

If it had not been for the forum skin change, then I might not have looked in Styx - and even if I had looked in Styx, I might not have actually opened an "Important Message PLEASE READ" thread. So, credit to the admin, I appreciate that. It's the least of what Erin's memory deserves.

So let the main focus be the memory of Erin: [Votive] [Votive]

Posted by dyfrig (# 15) on :

[Tear]

Posted by Little Miss Methodist (# 1000) on :

My sympathy and regards to Erins family, she will be deeply missed.

Erin used to have a sig that said "Be yourself unless you suck" it was often quoted between a friend and I, always with a wry smile.

[Votive] For Erin, who was always herself, and never sucked. [Votive]

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

[Votive]

Posted by mrs whibley (# 4798) on :

Shocked and saddened

[Votive] for all who knew and loved Erin.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

Just saw this and still can't believe it ... a Ship without Erin? [Waterworks]

May she have rest and all who miss her comfort [Votive]

Posted by Ophelia's Opera Therapist (# 4081) on :

Very sad news. Prayers for Erin's family and all who will miss her deeply.

[Votive]

OOT

Posted by Persephone Hazard (# 4648) on :

Oh my; this is terribly sad news. My thoughts to all her friends and family. I'm so sorry.

Posted by TomOfTarsus (# 3053) on :

I, too, am in shock. Jason, to all of your family, our prayers and condolences.

I read much more than I post, and Erin was indeed that sort of person who simply filled a thread with her presence. When the 'gator was about, EVERYBODY knew it, and only the foolish would not take appropriate caution. She gave this straight-laced old codger many a good laugh.

No matter what, the ship will never be the same. I can't imagine the hole she leaves in real life.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Tom

Posted by Louise (# 30) on :

Shocked and sad to read this, my condolences to her family. [Votive]
Louise

Posted by Moth (# 2589) on :

I'm having trouble taking this in. It's a bit like being told that God is dead.

We shall miss her.

Posted by Loveheart (# 12249) on :

[Votive] Erin, may she rest in peace and rise in glory

Posted by Ultracrepidarian (# 9679) on :

Completely shocked here as well.

[Votive] May her memory be eternal.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Erin did so much for the ship over the years. She was a vital factor in the fight against Joanne in the early days. After that, she did a lot of the heavy lifting until hosts and admins were appointed. She was always concerned with the software and she always kept an eye on things in her role as 'tiny invisible judge'.

The most important thing we can do in her memory is work to keep the ship what she made it.

Into they hands, O merciful Saviour, we commend the soul of thy servant now departed from the body. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech thee, a sheep of thine own fold, a lamb of thine own flock, a sinner of thine own redeeming. Receive her into the arms of thy mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen

Jason, you have my heartfelt sympathy. Your sister was a wonderful woman, and I know you feel your loss keenly.

Moo

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

Pray for me, as I will for thee, that we may merrily meet in heaven

[Votive]

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

I just found out this morning.

Erin was one of the first people to welcome me when I joined the Ship.

Rest in peace and rise and glory, Erin.

And God's peace and presence be with her family and friends.

[Votive]

Posted by sanityman (# 11598) on :

Only just saw the news. What a shock. My sympathy to Jason and the rest of her family.

- Chris.

Posted by birdsoftheair (# 15219) on :

I'm so sorry too. [Votive]

Posted by Bullfrog. (# 11014) on :

Thanks. Rest in peace, rise in glory.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

[Votive] Erin, her family and friends.

In December 2002 some shipmates did a Nativity Play which bore only a slight resemblance to conventional nativity plays.

While the play was going on, Miss Molly died. She had been diagnosed with cancer some months earlier. She started a thread sharing her thoughts and feelings.

When she died, someone posted this in the Nativity Play.

Now we have another "brilliant light speeding heavenward.... up up up into Father's waiting embrace......" [Tear]

Moo

Posted by Dave Marshall (# 7533) on :

[Frown]

Posted by Beeswax Altar (# 11644) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Spiffy (# 5267) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Now we have another "brilliant light speeding heavenward.... up up up into Father's waiting embrace......" [Tear]

The old guy won't know what hit him.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

Erin,

You changed my life. You taught me how to be authentic and a Xtian. You gently explained to me when I started the ship back in 2002 how it could honor God to have a forum we had here at the time...the one that discussed sex. You dealt with things behind the scenes when there were any issues without any fanfare. You were my idol. I will never forget how much it secretly delighted me when you told everyone on the boards people that you liked...and my name was on the list. Somebody actually came back with a "duchess?" and you responded simply "Yes."

I wanted this so to be a big joke. But now you are gone. I will never ever forget you and I will honor you in my actions the rest of my days on planet earth.

I hope you are at the big disco up in heaven when I get there along with some of my old friends growing up...and KenWritez. I expect to see you then, my darling. Until then, rest in peace. I miss you. I love you.

Melissa

[edited to add an I love you and a tear.]

[Votive]

[ 04. January 2011, 13:24: Message edited by: duchess ]

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

Oh God, so that's what all the black is about. We also had a partial eclipse of the sun this morning, which seems fitting also.

Part of me also feels that by rights the boards should all be crashing down and going quiet around us now.

"In the midst of life we are in death."

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

I'm so sorry and still slightly disbelieving.

M.

Posted by Pax Romana (# 4653) on :

I just want to add my condolences to Erin's family and to everyone here on the Ship.

I never had any contact with Erin here (at least not that I remember), but she was legendary, and obviously helped to keep this place going.

Eternal rest grant unto her, o Lord, and let perpetual light shine about her.

Pax Romana

Posted by maleveque (# 132) on :

ebeth texted me with the news this morning. What a loss. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.
- Anne L.

Posted by fee (# 1047) on :

Saw this sad news on twitter and it's prompted me to post, i was lucky enough never to cause Erin to know of me personally but i very much respected her and the way she seemed so in control. She was always fair and I hope that she is looking down and smiling at how sentimental we've all been! Thoughts and prayers are with Jason and the rest of Erin's family.
[Votive]

Posted by Kasra (# 10631) on :

[Votive]

Shit.

Kx

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

I knew she was sick, and I knew it was serious -- but I didn't realize it was life-threatening.

I have Christmas cards from her I will cherish now more than before. I will remember the funny, childlike things about her -- her love of American television, even children's programming. I sent her an ornament years ago with a TV show logo on it that I got at the NBC store in NYC, and I can't even remember now what it was. We shared a love of the SEC, and that's a strong bond. [Smile]

She had a sweet, feminine side that she rarely showed on the Ship, but I know she enjoyed her interactions here. I hope she knew how much a part of this place she was.

Tell someone you love that you do -- today.

Posted by dolphy (# 862) on :

In total shock. [Tear] [Votive]

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Shit.

How can so strong a personality be gone, and we weak pathetic ones remain? How can so bright a light be dimmed?

It just ain't fair.

[Votive]

Posted by Horatio Harumph (# 10855) on :

RIP Erin

[Votive]

Posted by wanderingstar (# 10444) on :

[Votive] for Erin and family. And thank you.

Everything i can think of to say just sounds hollow.

Posted by Paul W. (# 1450) on :

[Votive]
I just saw people posting the news on Facebook, it's a huge shock. Condolences to all Erin's family and friends.

Later this month a bunch of us are meeting up in London to remember Gambit, another dearly loved and missed member of this community. We'll raise a glass to Erin too.

Paul W

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 66) on :

Jason, you and your family have my deepest sympathy, especially your children who have lost a doting aunt.

Your sister was a wonderful woman. I will miss her greatly. On more than one occasion she was extremely kind to me, and she could always make me laugh with her honesty, directness and total lack of bullshit.

Gosh. How terrible.

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

Wow. Just wow. I get back from 2 weeks away and the first thing I see is this. Incredibly sad news, almost beyond believing.

So many people have posted of PM exchanges with erin in which they discovered another side to the public forums person. I want to add one more such tribute.

What a total loss and very bleak start to 2011.

Rest Eternal grant unto her O lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon her.

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

Inimitable. Irreplaceable. [Frown] [Votive]

Posted by Martha (# 185) on :

I can't say any more than has been said already. It seems impossible that she is gone.

Peace to her and her family and all that miss her.

[Votive]

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

As Emily Dickinson wrote:

Parting is all we know of heaven
And all we need of hell.

May Erin know eternal rest.

Posted by infinite_monkey (# 11333) on :

Words, pretty much all of them, fail.

I've had an e-mail from amber who is also upset by the news and sends thoughts and prayers.

[Votive]

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Just a note to say that we'll be opening a new board this evening in honour of Erin, where we'll be able to post thoughts, prayers, memories, quotes and anything else people would like to share. I think a board is the best way to mark this significant moment in our life together, and to pay our respects to Erin.

Posted by Lowly Worm (# 11663) on :

Damn. Erin, you will be missed.

[Tear]

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

Oh crap! What terrible news. My prayers are with Erin's friends and family.

I always pictured her as somehow more than human, larger than life, not all too frail flesh and blood.

Posted by Peppone (# 3855) on :

Shock, disorientation. Awful. Rest in Peace, Erin.

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
I didn't believe it at first - it just didn't seem possible. What dreadful news!
[Votive] for Erin's happy repose in the place where no trolls trouble
[Votive] for all who mourn her loss

Amen.

It has been hard to get past the shock of the news; I am another of the many here with private exchanges and kindnesses to cherish. I rejoice that she is now free of pain, and in God's nearer presence - but I sure wish she could have put it off a little longer.

Posted by Mr. Spouse (# 3353) on :

What everyone else said.

Sad news indeed.

[Votive]

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Erin,

Thank you for all the time and energy you gave us. Thank you for making the Ship the place that it is.
Thank you for being wise and kind, even as you let people know exactly what you thought.
Thank you for being you.

May your soul ascend to Heaven. May your family and friends find comfort and solace.

Karl

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
Later this month a bunch of us are meeting up in London to remember Gambit, another dearly loved and missed member of this community. We'll raise a glass to Erin too.

Damn right we will!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

A look at the names of the people posting on this thread only serves to illustrate the depth of respect in which Erin is held - from the longest-serving to the newest shipmates. [Votive]

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

I'm stunned. Praying for Erin, and for all those who mourn her loss.

Even though I'm rarely on here nowadays, there are a number of Erin-isms which occur to me at times of stress, and which I'm sure will never leave me...

Thank you for turning the Ship black and grey, to whoever did it. It matches my mood, and I'm clearly not the only one.

Posted by Anna B (# 1439) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
We shared a love of the SEC, and that's a strong bond. [Smile]

I thought this was the Securities and Exchange Commission until I realized it must surely have something to do with Southern football.

May Erin rest in peace and rise in glory, and may she come to share in the inheritance of all the saints. [Votive]

Posted by Inanna (# 538) on :

Returning to the ship to add my own prayers for Erin, for her family, and for the community here. May all of us who mourn find comfort in God and in each other. And may Erin's soul rest in peace and rise again in glory. [Votive]

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

The Ship won't feel the same without Erin. It is such a strong measure of just how important she was to all shipmates that this thread has had so many posts in so short a time--4 pages in about 12 hours. Surely that must be a record, and I am sure the count won't stop there.

To Erin's family, my condolences and prayers. She was a wonderful and dynamic person.

[Votive]

Posted by Goar (# 3939) on :

I caught wind of this on Facebook. What a loss! May her memory be eternal. [Votive]

Posted by Seeker963 (# 2066) on :

[Votive]

Posted by wilson (# 37) on :

Got a text from a friend asking if I'd seen the Ship today, after replying "no why?" she sent the response:

quote:
Erin died. It's all gone grey.
Seems to sum it up somehow.

[Votive] to all and especially close friends and family.

Posted by Fermat (# 4894) on :

Rest in peace, and rise in glory. [Votive]

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

Oh hell. She will be missed--by the Ship, and by me.

O God, whose mercies cannot be numbered: Accept our prayers on behalf of thy servant Erin, and grant her an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship of thy saints; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with htee and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. AMEN.

Erin was the real McCoy.

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

This is like a punch in the gut.

Whenever I saw Erin's avatar, I clicked on the post, no matter the thread--even the one's I wasn't interested in.

I am so sad that the earthly world must go on without her.

sabine

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

Her presence (and the threat of it!) will be much missed. It may be safe to go back into the water, but much less fun. [Votive]

Posted by Geneviève (# 9098) on :

My ddepest condolences to Jason and all of Erin's family. Thank you for letting us know this sad sad news.

I knew Erin only from her posts, and have always been in awe of her sense of herself, and her groundedness.

"May the angels guide you to paradise"

and if St. Peter needs anyone to do some butt-kicking, he's in luck.

[Votive]

[ 04. January 2011, 15:30: Message edited by: Geneviève ]

Posted by Belisarius (# 32) on :

As others have said, she was unique.

My deepest condolences to Erin's family.

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

I always thought that Erin must be invulnerable, like her avatar, so I can't believe that she has died. I know that the net creates a false sense of knowing people, but the shock felt at this loss is real. I honestly cannot imagine the Ship without Erin, nor can I add much of any sense.

Rest in peace, Erin.

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

Wow.

+Rest eternal...

Thurible

Posted by Scarlet (# 1738) on :

I'm so shocked and saddened I hardly know what to type. [Frown]

Erin was so sweet to me on several occasions when our Ship paths crossed. Such kind PM's. And I was the recipient of an apology in Styx over her part in some kurfuffle that hurt my feelings several years ago. And we conversed in the cafe from time to time when my daughter was active here. We felt like we were talking to a rock star!

I wish I'd sent her chocolate more often. [Tear]

Eternal Memory, Erin. [Votive]
My condolences and prayers for Erin's family. [Votive]

Posted by Jonathan Strange (# 11001) on :

[Votive]

Posted by St. Punk the Pious (# 683) on :

Nooooo! Awful news. I am at a loss for words.

She and her unique style will be greatly, greatly missed.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Posted by pjkirk (# 10997) on :

Fuck, man. Fuck.

Posted by PrettyFly (# 13157) on :

My brain is just refusing to process this...

RIP Erin, you will be missed more than you know.

Cannot imagine the Ship without her.

Deepest sympathies to you and yours, Jason.

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

Pretty much everything that has already been said.

I'm still trying to get my brain around the idea of the Ship without Erin. I feel like I've lost of child (you know - the bit where they aren't supposed to die before you do?).

My deepest sympathy to Jason and all her family.

Posted by Inger (# 15285) on :

This is a great shock. I'm a relatively new member and read more than I post, and for me many names here are just that, names.

Erin was always much more than that - once you'd seen one of her posts you remembered her.

She always seemed to me such an eminently right-thinking person; the world and the Ship are poorer for her death.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

I can't believe I'm never going to meet her.

Posted by Sharona (# 8327) on :

So very, very sorry. RIP Erin. And God's comfort to all who love her.
[Votive]

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

I suppose I kind of thought Erin was invincible.
My thoughts are with her loved ones, so sorry.
What a shock.

Posted by Caty M. (# 11996) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Organ Builder (# 12478) on :

I'm stunned.

We never met, I never heard her voice and I have no idea what she looked like--but somehow, I feel as though I lost one of my oldest friends. My proudest moment on the Ship was the day Erin said something I posted made her "giggle like a loon".

I would be hard-pressed to name anyone on the Ship or in the real world who could match her gift for cutting through pretension.

Her best memorial here would be for the Ship to continue to thrive--but we will never be the same.

My condolences to all who loved her and miss her.

Posted by Pottage (# 9529) on :

A terrible shock. [Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Me neither. I kept hoping someday somehow I would.

Moo

quote:
quote:

Moo

Ladies, really, you know her opinion of shipmeets!

It's different when there's not even a possibility though, eh?

Posted by Amanuensis (# 1555) on :

Shipmates past join the present crew in complete shock, sadness, and mourning.

[Votive] [Frown]

Kyrie eleison.

quote:
Originally posted by Viola:

Oh yeah, I know! But still.

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

Oh my. Condolences to all Erin's friends and family.

The Ship is definitely a greyer place without her, in so many ways.

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

It's been great to see posts from some I haven't seen in a long time. It just shows how wide her influence was. There are few that preceded her, many that were here with her at the beginning, and even more who have filtered in along the way, but she has always been here.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Moo

The list of shipmates I can reasonably expect to meet is extremely short anyway, since I live in the boonies.

I have a long list of shipmates I would like to meet, but probably never will.

I have just crossed Erin off that list. [Tear]

Moo

Posted by Beautiful Dreamer (# 10880) on :

I didn't know Erin well and might not seen below the surface, but now I wish I had and I offer condolences to everyone who knew and loved her.

Posted by frin (# 9) on :

Erin fought hard to keep this board afloat through the early years as we learnt, the experiential way, how to be a community on the internet. I remember her kindness to me when I needed it, and how much she has made me laugh over the last 12 years.

'frin

Posted by Apocalypso (# 15405) on :

Others have said better than I, but this is sad and shocking news. My condolences to Erin's family, and may this thread offer them some small measure of comfort, that she was respected and loved by so many.

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Just a note to say that we'll be opening a new board this evening in honour of Erin, where we'll be able to post thoughts, prayers, memories, quotes and anything else people would like to share. I think a board is the best way to mark this significant moment in our life together, and to pay our respects to Erin.

Thank you, Simon. I rarely go in for late nights on board nowadays, but will make an honourable exception when I get back home from choir practice this evening. There's a fair old bit to share.

Posted by Taliesin (# 14017) on :

It feels unreal. I'm so sorry for her family, and for us.

Rest in peace, rise in Glory. [Votive]

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine: et lux perpetua luceat ei. [Votive]

(Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord: and let perpetual light shine upon her.)

Posted by sparkly_h (# 7997) on :

So, so, so sorry to see this.

[Votive]

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

I keep coming back to read this thread and can barely contain the tears. But I have to say, RuthW's signature has struck *exactly* the right note, and I think Erin would have totally loved it.

Deepest condolences to you and your family, Jason.

Posted by St.Silas the carter (# 12867) on :

Pray God grant rest to her and comfrot to her family.

I did'nt know Erin very well, and only spoke with her directly about 12 times, but I've always been imporessed by her.

I'll mis her dearly. [Votive]

Posted by CuppaT (# 10523) on :

Lord Have Mercy.
Memory Eternal.

Posted by ToujoursDan (# 10578) on :

I'm completely stunned.

She was a wonderfully compassionate woman underneath all that bluster. This crazy place won't be the same without her.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Posted by Tom Day (# 3630) on :

[Votive]

Prayers for all of her family. Thank you to Erin for her hard work and commitment to the ship. RIP.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Thank you for posting, Jason. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I didn't know Erin at all well, but I respected the way she had the ship by the short and curlies.

I shall continue to call my younger daughter 'daughter Erin' when I mention her in my posts as for most shipmates there is only one Erin.

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

I'm so sorry to hear this, what dreadful news.

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

[Votive]

May God grant her eternal rest.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Actually it's hard to imagine Erin wanting to rest if there was work to be done.

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
I keep coming back to read this thread and can barely contain the tears. But I have to say, RuthW's signature has struck *exactly* the right note, and I think Erin would have totally loved it.

Yes, RuthW's sig is brilliant. [Tear]

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

[Votive]

So sad...

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

Knew something bad had happened when I saw the graphics all in black.
Didn't come across Erin much in my use of SoF, but was very aware of her presence and her importance to The Ship
Very shocked, and sorry.

Posted by Ancient Mariner (# 4) on :

Depressing news. Would love to have met her. Erin's Top 100 Put-Downs would be a delight to read. A razor-sharp, over-creative quart in a dull pint pot called the church. Unrest in peace.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

It's hard to know what to say. I can't imagine this place without her. The best thing we can do is to keep the torch lit.

Breen

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

I've only just stopped thinking that someone is playing a very strange joke on us. [Frown]

[Votive]

Posted by Mrs Shrew (# 8635) on :

[Votive] shocked and deeply saddened. may those who mourn be comforted.

Posted by Matrix (# 3452) on :

Wow, this just sucks.
[Votive]

We'll miss you croc

Mx

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

Eternal rest, grant unto her, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon her.
May she rest in peace.
Amen.

[Votive]

Posted by MrSponge2U (# 3076) on :

This is very sad news. Erin made the Ship what it was, and we will all miss her very much. Prayers for her family and loved ones in this time of great loss. [Votive]

Posted by The Weeder (# 11321) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Sorry, double posting to add something

At the formal opening of the Ship's Café on April Fool's Day 2008, Erin was one of the people who came in to chat, That's partly why we got that name change amnesty - a late night conversation from this side of the Pond with begging from a few people. And she was amazing. She was also pretty horrified to be the only living person to have a room named after her.

For those who don't know, the café's rooms include The Bridge, the 'Gator Lounge, the Gambit Bar and the Miss Molly Chapel.

I was part of the discussion that night. I can not believe this news- so hard to take in.
Prayers for all her family and friends, and for we Ship Mates, who will feel her loss so personally.
[Votive] [Votive]

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

What a hard act to follow! The Ship will never be quite the same again.
[Votive]

Posted by rufiki (# 11165) on :

Deepest respect.

Posted by 205 (# 206) on :

Words fail.

Except perhaps to say I'm struggling to hitch up my big girl panties and deal... [Tear]

RIP

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

There's nothing unsaid that I can add. This is so sad. I am so sad.

Posted by Timothy the Obscure (# 292) on :

Like a punch in the gut. I'd noticed she'd been less active lately and wondered what was going on, but never thought of this.... I can't get my mind around the idea of the Ship without her.

Rest in the Light, Erin. [Votive]

Posted by Mad Geo (# 2939) on :

Shocked beyond words.

Sympathies to friends and family.

Reading this thread is a little like seeing all your old friends and family you haven't seen in a long time because you were away and are now drawn together because of.....this. Ugggh.

So sad.

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes having just read this thread. I had very little interaction with Erin but she will be missed here as well.
[Votive] for all who mourn

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

Erin, may she rest in peace and rise in glory.

My deepest sympathy to Jason and the rest of the Erin's family and friends.

And for all who sail this Ship.

[Votive]

Posted by Darllenwr (# 14520) on :

Does. Not. Compute.

How can Erin be gone?

I consider myself fortunate that I never crossed swords with her, but I saw the results of a number of crossings and was suitably impressed.

Erin, your departure leaves a great chasm; we will not see your like again.

[Votive]

John

Posted by Protozoan (# 15583) on :

Even for someone who only discovered the ship less than a year ago this has come as a shock and a great sadness. It didn’t take long to realise that Erin was an amazing force to be reckoned with. She will be sorely missed. .....sorry.....

Posted by Otter (# 12020) on :

I just want to put my head down on my desk and cry - for a woman I've never met or exchanged words with in any way. Right now I even envy her snacks and chew-toys, if that makes any kind of sense...

Posted by Ferdzy (# 8702) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

Have just been in tears on my bed reading this. I read far more than I post so I'm pretty sure Erin had no idea I existed. But I knew she did. And she made this place a place I wanted to come to. And I loved the her I saw here.

May light perpetual shine upon her.

I'll most definitely join in the raising of a glass to her at the upcoming Gambit meet.

Posted by Squibs (# 14408) on :

I first encountered the phrase "rest in peace and rise in glory" on The Ship, and it seems to me to be a very beautiful and wholly (holy?) appropriate prayer to offer at such times.

So, Erin, do just that!

My sympathies to all those who knew and loved her.

Posted by Lord Pontivillian (# 14308) on :

I really don't know what to say. Such an awful shock I think sums it up.
[Votive]

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

Erin was someone I respected enormously. Would have loved to meet her in real life.

Rest in peace.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
I just want to put my head down on my desk and cry - for a woman I've never met or exchanged words with in any way.

Yes [Frown] [Votive]

Posted by soggy_amphibian (# 2487) on :

Shoehorn With Teeth and I send sympathies and respect.

Thanks for your part in holding the Ship together, Erin! No Ship, no us.

May you be a Sheep and not a Goat, and may you still remain an Alligator. [Votive]

Posted by Bagpuss (# 2925) on :

I don't post very often since the ship became so big and successful - too hard to follow too many threads, but I've been around since the very start and often pop by for a read. I have fond memories of Erin from the beginning.I'm sure her and Miss Molly will be doing their thing together.

My condolences and prayers to Jason and all of her family and friends x

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
Depressing news. Would love to have met her. Erin's Top 100 Put-Downs would be a delight to read. A razor-sharp, over-creative quart in a dull pint pot called the church. Unrest in peace.

Well if that isn't the outline of a fitting memorial room!

I just logged on to the ship's gallery to see if there was actually a photo of Erin. I feel satisfyingly cheated - but I'd still like to see the real person behind the teeth. Please?

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

I just logged on to the ship's gallery to see if there was actually a photo of Erin. I feel satisfyingly cheated - but I'd still like to see the real person behind the teeth. Please?

She guarded her real life identity very closely. This I think was in part due to death threats she received from some nutter in the early days of the boards. None of us know what she looked like - not even Simon.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

All I can do is: [Votive]

John

Posted by claudine (# 12441) on :

[Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
None of us know what she looked like - not even Simon.

She let a few things drop. She was tall and she colored her hair red, if memory serves.

There have been rumors in the deep, dark past that the masked person on the Mystery Worshipper page is Erin. I have no idea whether that's true.
- Anne L.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

quote:
Originally posted by maleveque:
There have been rumors in the deep, dark past that the masked person on the Mystery Worshipper page is Erin. I have no idea whether that's true.
- Anne L.

No, I'm pretty sure that's shipmate Wigwam Revivus.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

And now I know why the Ship is drained of colour.

Hail to Erin.

Posted by Ancient Mariner (# 4) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
quote:
Originally posted by maleveque:
- Anne L.

No, I'm pretty sure that's shipmate Wigwam Revivus.
Correct

I stand corrected - I'm not sure where I heard that in the first place. Probably at some boozy Shipmeet.
- Anne L.

[edited to add likely source of misinformation]

[ 04. January 2011, 20:20: Message edited by: maleveque ]

Posted by QuakerCub (# 4728) on :

This doesn't seem possible....that that wonderful spirit is gone. Safe journey home, Erin. Save us a place at the table.

Posted by Paul W. (# 1450) on :

quote:

Gambit once told me she'd sent him a picture of her (something to do with them sharing a birthday I think - they were both born 8th May). I guess only the two of them could tell us if that's true.

Paul W

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

Cubby and I just heard the news.

I think "rest in peace and rise in glory" sums up my thoughts.

God bless you and keep you, Erin, and I trust we will meet in person, face to face, someday.

[Votive]

Posted by Tubifex Maximus (# 4874) on :

There’s nothing I can add, nothing I can say that hasn’t already been said, but that isn’t the point, is it? It’s the sheer number of different posts, the weight of grief expressed in everything from long sentences to single words. Reading this thread strikes me as the virtual equivalent of the sea of flowers outside the scene of a disaster.

Many people exercise great leadership, embrace causes, spend themselves to get to the top of something. A few people are able to exercise leadership and spend themselves for organizations and causes where there is no financial reward. Erin went further even that that. She never did any of this for the money, not even for renown because we never knew what she looked like or met her. She did what she did anonymously for this community of anonymous people and she shaped it in a profound way right down to the rules and protocols that make this place run.

There are few people like that

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

I can only add my voice to those expresssing shock and sadness, and offering [Votive] for her family.

Posted by malik3000 (# 11437) on :

I did not know Erin like some of the other Shipmates, but but I recognized the name, along with her delightful avatar, as indicating as being one of the select group of posters whose posts i tended especially like and find interesting. Reading this thread has made me realize how special and important she was for the Ship. What an utter sudden shock!

Rest in peace, Erin. When i think of you i'll always remember the smiling alligator. (I'm assuming alligator and not crocodile since she was from Florida.)

Healing and strength for Jason and for all who mourn her passing.

[ 04. January 2011, 20:50: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

quote:

I always pictured her in a dazzling package to match her mind.
She will be so missed.
[Votive]

Posted by FCB (# 1495) on :

It was an argument with Erin that first drew me into the Ship. Rest in peace.

Posted by Never Conforming (# 4054) on :

Another one not knowing what to say but feeling deeply saddened by the news.

Posted by The Royal Spaniel (# 40) on :

Oh,God,no.....I just can't believe this
Jason - thank you very much indeed for letting us know at a very difficult time for you - my prayers for you and your family [Votive]
May Erin rest in peace and rise in glory [Votive]
This is one of the very,very few discussion boards I visit even if I don't post as much as I used to, and I think the reason for it is her strength in making the Ship work. I think the Ship could have gone in two ways in its early days - that of being a cosy little club and the more risky way of making people think seriously about their faith or lack of one, and encouraging new people to join. That it worked is a testament to her strength of character I suspect.....
Prayer too for the Hosts and Administrators who must be in some considerable shock at the news,and that they may be given the grace and strength to carry on the work that she was so much a part of [Votive]

Posted by Orlando098 (# 14930) on :

Sorry to hear the news. My thoughts to her friends and family.

Posted by Caz... (# 3026) on :

I haven’t been here in nearly 3 years I don’t think, and I haven’t been here regularly in more like 5 or 6. It's just taken me ages to work out what my login used to be!

I never knew Erin personally, but she always made me smile.

Jason, the reason I’m posting is this: last night, before I knew any of this, I had a dream about Erin. In it she and I shared a bar of Maya Gold chocolate. I woke up this morning feeling like it was a significant dream, but didn’t really have time to dwell on it. In my dream she was relaxed; happy; at peace. Not at all the Alligator she often had to be here!

Then a few hours later someone emailed me to tell me to check the Ship and I just knew, instantly, what the news would be. I had no idea about her health problems, and like I say, I’ve not been around here in a long time. I don’t know why I dreamt what I did. But I’ve pondered it quite a bit today and here’s what I think it means: that she’s through the other side, and it’s full of good things.

I realise you don’t know me from Adam and all that might make me sound quite odd! But I hope that it is of some comfort to you, and I wish you and your family comfort in the coming days, weeks, months and years.

God bless.

[Votive]

Funny the effect loss has on us. As I was looking through the gallery, I saw so many posts by the inimitable KenWrtiz, it made me want to find his pic too. Then I looked for Gambit, and Miss Molly - alas they are not there. I have been around SoF for half its life, but never got to appreciate Gambit & Molly as I appreciated Ken & Erin (ie: firsthand - which is actually a strange thing to say when I never met either of them in person).

But it made me realize that in six years I have never bothered to post a pic of myself, and that if I shuffled off my mortal coil tomorrow, I would like others to know there was a very real person behind all the words I jettisoned into cyberspace. So I have amended that oversight, and I hope others will too.

It's probably too late to ask for pics of Gambit & Molly. Others here may have better suggestions, but FWIW, that's mine.

And Caz...beautiful post, thank you.

[ 04. January 2011, 21:06: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

Posted by Landlubber (# 11055) on :

[Votive] For all who mourn

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 66) on :

All afternoon I've kept expecting to see her avatar pop up and have her post that we don't need to know everything that's going on but that she's on top of it and it's going to be ok.

This just really sucks big time.

Posted by Hooker's Trick (# 89) on :

Erin once asked me to marry her on one of the public boards. I still regard that as my personal zenith of 10 years on the Ship.

Posted by koshatnik (# 11938) on :

What terrible news. She was a force of nature and one of the Ship's great servants. Prayers and condolences for all who knew her.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Caz...:
last night, before I knew any of this, I had a dream about Erin. In it she and I shared a bar of Maya Gold chocolate. I woke up this morning feeling like it was a significant dream, but didn’t really have time to dwell on it. In my dream she was relaxed; happy; at peace.

Caz, have you seen Erin's last extant post outside Oblivion?

Posted by Edward Green (# 46) on :

Prayers. [Votive]

Posted by Scot (# 2095) on :

So this is what it feels like to be pleasured with a rusty farm implement.

Posted by monkeylizard (# 952) on :

quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
Rest in peace, Erin. When i think of you i'll always remember the smiling alligator. (I'm assuming alligator and not crocodile since she was from Florida.)

Florida has both. There was a running joke about her exact reptilian nature many years ago. I think it started when someone called her a crocodile.

Erin's teeth marks on the forming of this community are both evident and invisible. This could have been another site filled with like-minded individuals. Instead, she formed it into a place that is challenging, gritty, joyous, rough and tumble, uplifting, and altogether unique.

ITTWACW indeed.

Posted by Jigsaw (# 11433) on :

Jason, I'm so sorry for your loss. You can see how much she meant to all of us.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

Others have already been more eloquent than I could be. But very sad, and shocking news. Erin was unique, and this community itself is witness to her hard work over many years.

R.I.P.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Wow, this just sucks.
[Votive]

We'll miss you croc

Mx

Don't think she can't zap you from Heaven for calling her a croc....

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

How terribly sad. [Votive] May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posted by Keren-Happuch (# 9818) on :

No words. [Votive]

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

Fuuuuuuuuuck

[Votive]

Posted by The Great Gumby (# 10989) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Wow, this just sucks.
[Votive]

We'll miss you croc

Mx

Don't think she can't zap you from Heaven for calling her a croc....
Heh. I keep expecting her to turn up and make it very clear to Jason just how much she doesn't like people borrowing someone else's account. [Tear]

That was one of my thoughts when I started reading the Thread, Gumby .

[Tear]

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

and mine

Posted by matthew_dixon (# 12278) on :

Without people like Erin, places like this simply couldn't exist. I might not have encountered her on here much, but it still came as a shock finding out through open intercessions in a service that she had died!

[Votive] to the family, and to all who knew her better than I did. (I don't think we've quite got so many candles lit in this thread to risk burning down the ship)

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
That was one of my thoughts when I started reading the Thread, Gumby .

[Tear]

I think that's the case for many of us. Part of me is still hoping it's all a sick prank.

Posted by saysay (# 6645) on :

Dear lord. No.
[Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by matthew_dixon:
Without people like Erin, places like this simply couldn't exist. I might not have encountered her on here much, but it still came as a shock finding out through open intercessions in a service that she had died!

really? In Cardiff? Wow.
quote:

[Votive] to the family, and to all who knew her better than I did. (I don't think we've quite got so many candles lit in this thread to risk burning down the ship)

it's all the tears that offset the risk.

Posted by Ags (# 204) on :

We shared a love of all things Buffy

But I don't understand! I don't understand how this all happens. How we go through this. I knew her, and then she's -- there's just a body, and I don't understand why she just can't get back in it and not be dead anymore! It's stupid! It's mortal and stupid! - Anya

[Votive]

Posted by Telepath (# 3534) on :

No just no.

I just can't think of anything trenchant enough to honour her memory.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Having got fed up with the thoroughly mimsy Christians in the media (largely, it seems, the rentaquote brigade), the utter difference in he attitude on board the Ship was one of things that appealed to me here, and Erin - preferably at her most acerbic - was the antithesis of what I hated. With time I realised just how much she had to do with how the Ship ended up... well, as the Ship.

If there is any justice, she is waiting right now for Stephen Green, rusty farm implement at the ready.

Rossweisse said what I wanted to, except I didn't realise until I read it that I'd wanted to say it.
quote:
I rejoice that she is now free of pain, and in God's nearer presence - but I sure wish she could have put it off a little longer.
And she was my age... Why? Why?

Bless you. great 'gator, and bless your friends and family.

AG

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

This is horrible news. My condolences to Jason & all of Erin's family and to everyone here, everyone who loved her. May light perpetual shine upon her.

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
What will she do in heaven? There's no bullshit to cut through there.

Incoming prayers, perhaps? [Two face]

Question is, what the hell are we going to do?

Posted by Raspberry Rabbit (# 3080) on :

We had a number of very funny exchanges years ago. I haven't been around for a while. Feel really crap when young people die. Is there an obit online somewhere?

RR

Posted by PataLeBon (# 5452) on :

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

I'm not sure I can...

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
Shocked beyond words.

Sympathies to friends and family.

Reading this thread is a little like seeing all your old friends and family you haven't seen in a long time because you were away and are now drawn together because of.....this. Ugggh.

So sad.

Just so. I got swept away by all sorts of things, and then ... this news. So I'm afraid everyone's stuck with some of us again. We are drawn in the Spirit's tether by our sister Erin.

[Frown]

Posted by Rex Monday (# 2569) on :

What everyone said. I didn't have much direct contact with Erin, but that is entirely beside the point. She inspired me to the sin of schadenfreude - there may be no joy in heaven as that when one sinner repents, but seeing those jaws clamp on the privy parts of the insufferable, the idiotic and the irksome is as good as it gets down here.

There is nowhere online or off like the Ship, and it is bound in pure gatorskin. If one is driven to despair by the manifold madness of Christianity in all its human foolishness, and one is, oh Lord, one is, then this place is a glorious reminder that while feckless nonsense is optional, so is putting up with it.

Erin, I shall miss you, more than is seemly.

LECTOR, SI MONUMENTUM REQUIRIS, CIRCUMSPICE

R

Posted by The Weeder (# 11321) on :

Jason, I pray that you and your family will be comforted by the knowledge that she meant so much to all of us on the Ship. God bless you.

[ 04. January 2011, 23:44: Message edited by: The Weeder ]

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
Heh. I keep expecting her to turn up and make it very clear to Jason just how much she doesn't like people borrowing someone else's account. [Tear]

quote:
I think that's the case for many of us. Part of me is still hoping it's all a sick prank.

Same here.

Posted by Amorya (# 2652) on :

I'll miss her.

Not sure I've used this smiley before but I think I need to now: [Votive]

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
So I'm afraid everyone's stuck with some of us again.

Even such horribly black clouds have silver linings, it seems. [Tear]

Posted by ByHisBlood (# 16018) on :

Jason,

I sadly never knew Erin but the tributes to her here must be a great blessing to you and her friends and the rest of the family, may the Lord grant you the peace that only He can give.

"Throw the whole of your anxiety upon Him, because He Himself cares for you"

Posted by Dogwalker (# 14135) on :

There's nothing I can add to what others have said. I've never had an interaction with Erin.

Even so, I've felt like there was a rock in my stomach all day.

My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

[Votive] [Votive]

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

SHIT

My faith is different because of her influence on this board. Better, and different.

CRAP

Posted by Molopata The Rebel (# 9933) on :

Erin has been absolutely formative to SoF - one of the very best sites on the internet. My sincere condolences to her family. May God rest her soul.
[Votive]
Hell will never be quite the same without her.

Forgive me if this has been suggested already, but Erin's gator icon MUST be retired.

Posted by Dark Knight (# 9415) on :

Very sorry to hear this.
We who love this place owe her a great deal.
[Votive]

Posted by QuietMBR (# 8845) on :

Shit.
[Waterworks]

quote:
Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:
Forgive me if this has been suggested already, but Erin's gator icon MUST be retired.

Who would dare use it? [Eek!]

Well, maybe totally green newbies, I guess.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:

Who would dare use it?
I used a modified version of her avatar once, when I thought she was away on vacation. It did not go well for me.

When I was watching late night news last night (World News Now, I think), I found myself waiting for them to announce her passing.

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

Oh my Gawd......the troll being eaten by the crocodile avatar.

[Tear]

Posted by Lady A (# 3126) on :

Like most of us, I came onto the Ship and saw the monotones and immediately knew someone special to us all was gone. When I first came on the Ship, someone started to stalk me and Erin was there, all teeth and ferociousness, and from that moment, I never feared posting here because I knew I had a gator at my back. I was probably too much of a fluffy bunny, but she knew it and threw her tough skinned self to protect me and I will never forget it.

[Votive] Thank you Erin. Comfort to her family and those who grieve her leaving of this life.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
quote:

Who would dare use it?
I used a modified version of her avatar once, when I thought she was away on vacation. It did not go well for me.
Shoulda guessed. On both counts. [Tear]

Posted by Mechtilde (# 12563) on :

Erin and I never crossed swords or even paths, but I still feel like I've had a kick in the gut. I lurked here for years before I registered, and the Ship is pretty much the only online forum I've ever taken an interest in. I was struck from the first by how authentic people here were, how free they were to be honest. At the same time, things didn't just fly out of control; there seemed to be a guiding wisdom behind it.

I now understand how much Erin had to do with all of that. And I can only add my "God have mercy" -- the prayer for when there are no words.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

Sorry to hear the sad news - my condolences to you and your family, Jason.

I'm glad so many of you we haven't seen for a while are back--it's going to take all of you to pull us back together while Erin's away handling bigger issues.

[Tear]

Did you have to, Lord?!

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

[Votive]

Erin was obviously a woman of enormous wit and intelligence and her passion for SOF made it what it is. Everyone who enjoys the ship owes her a debt of gratitude.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

LC--

Perhaps God needs a little break, and wants to shake things up a bit, and thought, "Now, who would be the perfect substitute...oh, I know!"
[Biased]

(Inspired by the movie "Two of a Kind", the one with Olivia N-J. and John T.)

Posted by W Hyatt (# 14250) on :

It's clear that she has earned an incredible degree of well-deserved respect, like no one else I know of. My sympathies to those close to her.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
quote:

Who would dare use it?
Who the hell will make you strawberry shortcake again or my little pony? I am actually tearing up now. Goodnight.

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

The ship is like a family.
Erin was one of those uncomfortable annoying family members whose irascibility was only outweighed by her obvious love and involvement in the ship. I will miss her and her snark more than words can express. But more, I will miss her passion for this rickety barge.

For our loss, [Votive]
For those who knew Erin in real life, [Votive]
For Erin, you are grieved, [Votive]
And for the Trinity, good luck...

Posted by Hazey*Jane (# 8754) on :

Not really frequenting the parts of the board where Erin was at her finest, I don't really feel I knew her, but the amount of work she put into this place is undoubtable. It will be a genuine loss to the Ship.

My condolences to Jason and other family and friends.

Posted by Malin (# 11769) on :

Genuinely shocked and so sad to hear this news. I read far, far more than I post on here and Erin's posts are threaded throughout the ship's fabric like fine gold. I am going to miss that sparkling wit.

Peace to all her family and friends as you mourn.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Ultimate Shipmeet Erin [Votive]

Posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf (# 2252) on :

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Dear God! I noticed that we'd gone monochrome, now I understand why.

[Votive]

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

Holy crap! Absolutely gobsmacked by this.

[Votive] For her family, her friends, and all those whose lives she touched.

Posted by Pure Sunshine (# 11904) on :

Great things like the Ship don't come about without those who work hard to keep them going. Erin did a lot to make the Ship the special place it is.

Posted by hereweare (# 15567) on :

Sometimes it is easy to forget that behind every 'name' there is a real person. RIP Erin [Votive]

Posted by Malin (# 11769) on :

Just walked downstairs to realise we bought this yesterday.

[Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Malin:
Just walked downstairs to realise we bought this yesterday.

[Frown]

When the kids have finished with it, you can enshrine this portrait of Erin in her finest moments - eating trolls.

Posted by pimple (# 10635) on :

Erin. This is absolutely not the way to start the longest thread in the ship's history. Come back FFS - you hadn't even started on me yet.

And yet you haven't gone from us, quite. Tell me I'm wrong about heaven. A thunderbolt would be fine.

Posted by TE Brown (# 11920) on :

Gobsmacked. Like others, I have lurked and read almost from the beginning, and have followed the development of the ship's community with great interest, even though I didn't join for a long time. Although I never had any contact with her, it was Erin, with her passion and ferocious devotion to the Ship who made it safe to join. She recognized rude, boorish, childish and trollish behavior for what it is, and never confused it with what it is to be a Christian. The ship is a stronger community because of her. She felt to me like its pastor.

RIP Erin.

TEB

Posted by Yerevan (# 10383) on :

I've just spotted this. What a shame. May she rest in peace [Votive]

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

I saw this thread yesterday, and have read it over and over again, as well as the Erin Board. I was waiting to post until I could find the right words. It obviously isn't going to happen, so

To Jason and the rest of Erin's family; to Erin's real life friends; to her Ship Family; to those who barely knew her and to those who knew her well both in person and in persona, I offer my deepest condolences. At times like this, we turn to each other for comfort, and remember her fondly as a powerful personality, yet a kind one.

Erin was, to this community, mother (sorry MotherBoard), grandmother, sister, friend, School Principal, and Chief of Police, depending on what was needed. She was all these things, to several thousand souls she never met.

No one will replace her on the Ship or in our hearts.

I went through the loss of Miss Molly on the Ship, in the Cafe, and and with some personal messages. It was difficult, to be sure, but we all knew it was coming, so the grieving started early, and lasted long. Others slipped away without me becoming aware until long afterwards, like Gambit and kenwritez, and I felt I had missed out in the closing of those chapters in the book of life. For Erin, it would have been nice to have been there for her at the end, but it seems she felt otherwise, and I respect her decision. I'm not sure how long it will take, but when we get over this monumental loss (or at least come to terms with it) we will be stronger for having endured it together.

If the apostle Paul were around, he might say something like:

quote:
To the Ship of Fools, Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

Erin, RIP.

Posted by Penelope (# 14992) on :

[Votive]

Has someone let Sarkycow know? I lost all rl contact with her several years ago but I know she'd want to know.

Posted by Matrix (# 3452) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Has someone let Sarkycow know? I lost all rl contact with her several years ago but I know she'd want to know.

Likewise IbP

I've emailed IBP.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

Is this stupid to say? I feel like it's a tribute to Erin the number of ways people have heard about her death:

Ship, Facebook, Twitter, text message, phone call, and during the open intercessions at a church in Wales.

Posted by MrsM (# 14940) on :

she'd never have noticed my pitiful few postings, but she was one of the posters I loved to read most, I occasionally went through her old posts to see how she ticked. She will be sadly missed by all connected with the ship, I'm sure.

Posted by Eliab (# 9153) on :

I've been on the Ship for nearly six years, and I stay here because I've found a culture of integrity and honest engagement that has helped me more than I can say. Thank you, Erin.

Erin wasn't the only person here who exemplifies that approach, but she was one of the most important, not just by what she said but by how she ran this place. She was always fair, even to people she passionately disagreed with or personally disliked. She made this place feel both safe and demanding. I like it here, and I hope her influence here lasts as long as her memory.

I can't begin to think what a loss Erin's family must be feeling, or what a gap she will have left in their lives.

[Votive]

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

quote:
Has someone let Sarkycow know?

I had an old e-mail of hers sent a message.

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Monday:
LECTOR, SI MONUMENTUM REQUIRIS, CIRCUMSPICE

Twice I've heard this in 24 hours - once in St Paul's, of which it was written of Christopher Wren, and now here. Very appropriate, with all respect to Simon and the rest, that we see the Ship as Erin's legacy to us (though I'm sure Erin would have demanded a translation - 'Reader, if you need (to see)a monument, look around you').

[Votive]

The Ship is Simon's. And everyone else who helped set it up. The Boards are Erin's and everyone who helped.

Posted by Nenuphar (# 16057) on :

So sorry to hear the sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with Jason and all those who mourn Erin's passing. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
quote:

And I've tracked down her husband on facebook and sent him a message, so hopefully one of those will get through.

Posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop (# 10745) on :

I knew of Erin, but I do not frequent the parts of the board where she was most active. But I feel I must add my condolences to Jason, family and friends. Jesu mercy, Mary pray. Rest eternal grant unto her O Lord and let light perpetual shine on her.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

A former Shipmate writes:

quote:
I don't think I was Erin's favourite character, but I did always respect Erin and she will be remembered in my daily prayers.

Eternal Rest grant unto her O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her.
May she rest in peace.
Amen.

Q.
Posted with Simon's consent

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

It has taken me 24 hours to accept that this is a) not a joke and b)real. I am in shock. The boards are what they are today very significantly because of the work that Erin put in here.

I crossed swords with her, I engaged her in discussion, and, most of all, I saw that underneath her "fuck you, bitches" exterior, she was a soft hearted and lovely person, with real passion and intensity.

To say that she will be missed is such an understatement. To all of those who knew her IRL, and especially her family, my heartfelt sympathy and prayers.

Posted by Quinine (# 1668) on :

[Votive] What sad, shocking news.

Posted by Angel Wrestler (# 13673) on :

I sure am slow!!! I'm just now hearing of Erin. [Frown] [Votive] ... what... what happened? (or is that not our business). In any case, prayers for her family and for our Ship. I'm not much of a hell denizen, but when I visited down there, she was a real spark. [Tear]

Posted by Angel Wrestler (# 13673) on :

So this is why the black and white (and possibly why the board shut down for maintenance yesterday afternoon?). I haven't had much time to browse my fun on-line stuff in the past few days, so I just (selfishly) posted my time on the fitness thread. This is such sad news.

Posted by dorothea (# 4398) on :

A total shock. Erin scared the pants of me half the time and had me down as a wishy-washy liberal, when I disagreed with her hardline stance on freedom of speech but she had such presence and was such an integral part of the ship.

This is so very sad.

[Votive]

J

Posted by Pooks (# 11425) on :

My deepest sympathy to the Etheredge family.

Erin was a blessing and one of a kind. I have always seen her as something of an evangel with colourfully choiced languages. Her way of distilling noisy issues raised on the Ship down to a simple core and dealing with it straightforwardly used to make me smile at the much ado about nothing nature of so many arguments. Genius!

Thank you so much Erin, for what you have done for us here on the Ship.

quote:
quote:
quote:

And I've tracked down her husband on facebook and sent him a message, so hopefully one of those will get through.
The facebook stalking worked. She'll probably be along when she's processed the news a bit.

Posted by hatless (# 3365) on :

She was so clever, so sharp, so articulate, so reliably right.

Poor Erin. Poor Ship.

[Votive]

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

I've only just seen this - can't believe it. Awful, awful, awful. So young - this really sucks.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] for her family and everyone else who loved her.

Posted by cor ad cor loquitur (# 11816) on :

Just saw this; how very sad. I will pray for Erin and her family at Mass tomorrow morning. May she rest in peace.

Posted by cor ad cor loquitur (# 11816) on :

Just saw this; how very sad. I will pray for Erin and her family at Mass tomorrow morning. May she rest in peace.

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

quote:
quote:

had a response on the old e-mail address.

Posted by Stumbling Pilgrim (# 7637) on :

I haven't posted on the Ship for ages, though I've been reading avidly, and I never had any direct dealings with Erin, but I have to come tonight to say how shocked and saddened I am. I'm deeply grateful to Erin for her part in providing a place where I've learned so much, gained so many insights into other points of view and ways of believing, and had so much fun.
[Votive] for Jason and the rest of her family and friends.
[Votive] for those of you who were close to her and have worked with her to keep the Ship afloat.
And [Votive] for the Ship and all who sail in her.

Posted by Raspberry Rabbit (# 3080) on :

Obit in a Florida newspaper

OBIT

Posted by iGeek (# 777) on :

Thanks for that RR. I took the opportunity to sign the guest book.

Erin Melissa Etheredge, eh?

Soooo appropos that she shares a name with one of my favorite rock chicks.

[Big Grin] I need a fearless love...

Thanks RR. And great to see you.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Yes, thanks for the link. I signed too - I hope Erin would appreciate the irony that I had to sign with my name, the name of my city, and "US Outlying minor islands"

Posted by ephemera (# 13355) on :

i have absolutely no words.
this is so very sad.

Posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege (# 10651) on :

quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
Whenever I saw Erin's avatar, I clicked on the post, no matter the thread--even the one's I wasn't interested in.

Exactly.
[Votive]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I signed too but put city name and state here and left the last bit empty. No problems.

Posted by Johnny S (# 12581) on :

Sorry to hear this.

[Votive]

(Just back from holiday.)

Posted by Lolly (# 13347) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
quote:

Exactly.
[Votive]

and sat up a little straighter and took note.

Posted by Nutmeg (# 5297) on :

Erin touched so many people's lives across the globe, across all time zones.

The loss to the online community is immense, as would be the loss to her own family.

[Votive]

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

I hadn't strayed into Erin's path in the short time I've been here, but I loved reading what she had to say. I was usually slightly awe-struck, sometimes slightly afraid, and often giggling.
Lord please comfort her family, and those who knew and loved her well. [Votive]

Posted by WhyNotSmile (# 14126) on :

This is really sad news. Thoughts and prayers are with everyone who loved her.

Posted by Masha (# 10098) on :

This is tragic.

Even though I don't post often and didn't know her I cried when I read the op. Clearly I'm a fluffy bunny.

I always loved reading her posts, a wise and witty woman.

[Votive] Prayers for all who knew and loved her.

Posted by Nunzia (# 4766) on :

Another mourner who didn't even know Erin. Can't add much more to what people have already said about her wit, her warmth and her savage love and care for this Ship.

Like othere, I keep hoping this is a sick joke. Like, when there are enough donations in her memory to the Floating Fund, she'll post, "Allright, I can get up again. we're finally n the black, you cheap bastards"

Bye, Dear Erin. Stay Restless in Peace

Nunzia
Cheap bastard

Posted by Teufelchen (# 10158) on :

Rest in Peace, Erin.

I was shocked to hear the news. She'll be very much missed.

Posted by Queen Mousie (# 9925) on :

[Votive] [Votive]

Posted by ChrisT (# 62) on :

Rest in peace, Erin. You will be missed by many. [Votive]

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

just off a plane - Scots Lass texted me to tell me.

Shocked.

[Votive]

Posted by Paige (# 2261) on :

Malaveque alerted me to the news. I haven't posted in yonks, but I do pop in every so often. I can't even imagine the Ship without Erin...

[Votive] for Erin and all who love her

Posted by Paddy O'Furniture (# 12953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
quote:

Exactly.
[Votive]

Yep, me too. In fact, I was reading all her old posts yesterday and had to stop because I was getting weepy...weepy for a person I never even knew...she was brilliant, though.

You know, I can't see Erin resting. My brain won't bend that way.

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

Like Masha, I cried when I read the news.

I was rarely so much as nipped by the gator, but I respected her for her posting and for her fervour for the Ship, a place definitely molded by her.

This does emphasise how a community can develop on line, with very rare physical meetings. I hope we can keep the style going.

Posted by Socratic-enigma (# 12074) on :

Someone who would call a spade, “a bloody shovel!”

Who did not suffer fools (the ultimate irony)

and is and will be, very sadly missed.

I don’t know if anyone else has suggested it:

a fitting tribute would be to permanently change the Ship’s logo to include a smiling alligator in the water

S-E

Posted by infinite_monkey (# 11333) on :

I love that idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Socratic-enigma:

a fitting tribute would be to permanently change the Ship’s logo to include a smiling alligator in the water

S-E

Dude! [Overused]

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

S-E

Dude! [Overused]
Bloody brilliant. I hope it can be done.

And simon's new strapline had me tearing up - again.

Huia

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
Erin annoyed the hell out of me on many occasions, but she was the rudder of the Ship.

Tomb said what I was thinking.

The Ship would not have been the same without her. I logon rarely these days so this comes a bit late. My sympathies to her family.

Posted by Storm (# 878) on :

I'm almost entirely a lurker, but I've been lurking on the ship on and off for many years now and I feel this as a loss.

Deepest sympathy to Jason and all shipmates who knew Erin better than I did. May she rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

Posted by Lady R of Ashwood (# 4788) on :

TeaGnome told me that my long shore absence needed breaking for some key news. I wish this had not been the news in question.

[Votive] [Votive] Erin [Votive] [Votive]

Well, I've been thinking it might be fitting to create a gator smilie for chomping down on asshat postings in the future. Maybe admin use only. I could picture it running across the bottom of the planking post in the same way pacman chomps across the screen -'cept it would be green and have teeth....

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

I hope heaven's ready

RIP Erin
[Votive]

Posted by Full Circle (# 15398) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Benedictus (# 1215) on :

I found an alligator water pistol that I got a while back. Somehow I always thought I'd send it to her some time. No rush, right? Plenty of time. I'd get around to it.

Get in touch with somebody you've been meaning to.

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

quote:

S-E

Brilliant!

I'd been wondering if a new mug could be added to the collection - just the avatar and date (with possibly a small troll-muncher round the back).

Posted by holly (# 689) on :

Myself & Jono found out last week that an old friend of Jono's died the day before Erin of a similar thing, he was only 48. So even though we didnt know Erin it still adds to the grief we are feeling. I havnt been on the ship for years now apart from the occasion look in but when i think of the ship i always think of Erin and now even more so.

RIP Erin [Votive]

Holly & JonoT xxx

Posted by Scots lass (# 2699) on :

I read this forum an awful lot more than I post, and have been doing so for a long time. I've always been impressed by a lot of people here, but especially Erin. I kind of wanted to be that articulate myself and a post by her on a thread always made me read it. It's very hard to believe there won't be any more posts.

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

The only conversation I ever had with Erin was one of the two times I have signed into the cafe. She was in the middle of a miserable Florida winter, and it was blistering hot here in NZ. I didn't like the heat, she didn't like the cold, and we spent a happy half hour working out how to swap places.

It changed my entire picture of her. I hope she's in a warm heaven.

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

Just found out about 15 minutes ago. Posted my thoughts over on the new Erin board.

My prayers to her family and friends and shipmates. [Votive]

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

I no longer read/post here, but hearing about Erin's untimely death through others [thank you], I had to come back to say, to pray, "May her memory be eternal!"; and to say my love, thoughts and prayers are with Erin's family and friends.

I do not recall crossing swords with her [lucky me; I couldn't go against that wit!]; or many threads we posted on together: though one to do with apartments and toilet paper comes to mind! [Help] And from her I first heard about G&B's Maya Gold -- which I will get tonight in memory of her.

What I do remember is someone who gave their all for this wonderful community. She was an amazing individual: and this place, this world, will not be the same without her. Memory Eternal Erin!

Yes re adding a gator to the logo, and a definite yes re the mug. I'd been thinking of the latter.

quote:
Originally posted by Benedictus:
I found an alligator water pistol that I got a while back. Somehow I always thought I'd send it to her some time. No rush, right? Plenty of time. I'd get around to it.

Get in touch with somebody you've been meaning to.

Yes, I'd been thinking of pointing her to Taize' prayer services. She wanted to be Catholic, but felt she couldn't. Taize' is ecumenical, but close enough to RC practice that it could fill in the gap a bit.

Was just now thinking of the "Simpsons" episode where Homer and the kids become Catholic, and Marge is still Episcopalian, and all of them die and go to heaven.

M is sipping tea in a very proper, white (IIRC), uptight heaven. H and the kids are in RC heaven...and *everyone* is dancing Riverdance! M eventually joins them.
[Yipee]

(Stereotypes courtesy of the show, not me.)

Posted by Saviour Tortoise (# 4660) on :

Saw last night.

I've mainly lurked recently, not posted much. An Erin post was always something to click on. Incisive, intelligent, often cutting, often thought provoking, usually entertaining.

She'll be missed here, and I cannot begin to imagine how her friends and family "in real life" will come to terms with the loss of someone so full of life.

[Votive]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:

Possibly better than the conventional iconography for the blessed dead - though that would be a nice puzzle for future archaeologists -

Professor, what does it mean, a ship with above a winged alligator playing a harp?

They were stoned?

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

Possibly better than the conventional iconography for the blessed dead - though that would be a nice puzzle for future archaeologists -

Professor, what does it mean, a ship with above a winged alligator playing a harp?

They were stoned?

No. From reading elsewhere I believe it means they were planked.

Gosh, am I going to miss her. [Votive]

[ 08. January 2011, 13:50: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

Posted by bush baptist (# 12306) on :

I was told about this by two people not even on the Ship -- Erin's personality and energy had impact to those who have never joined here or posted here. And for the Ship itself, of course, a huge loss.

[Votive] that she is right now beholding and living in the glory and mystery.

[Votive] for Erin's family and all who loved her. For those grappling with how to make the post-Erin Ship run.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

Just heard this news, having come back from a short holiday break. It's unbelievable and dreadful news. Like others here, I, too, had had the occasional PM which encouraged me.

I add my prayers and condolences for Erin's family and friends.

Posted by Qupe (# 12388) on :

So very sorry to hear about Erin's passing.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

At the NoCal meet this afternoon we talked about black armbands, and we were a bit uncomfortable with those.

The image did flash through my head of a black 'gator armband. Perhaps swallowing its own tail -- the Gator Ouroboros? I think Erin would have chuckled.

Posted by Living in Gin (# 2572) on :

It's pretty rare for me to log into the Ship these days, and I just now came across the news of Erin's passing. Words fail. :-(

Prayers for her family and loved ones, and for all those here on the Ship and elsewhere who are mourning. [Votive]

Posted by lapsed heathen (# 4403) on :

Dear Lord, I haven't been around much this past while and when I check in, the news is shocking.
Can hardly belive it.
All the tributes on the ship show how much a virtual comunity can be pretty real whare it matters, in the heart.

May she sit at the right hand of God.
Sympathies to all family and friends.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lapsed heathen:

I think that place has already been taken!

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

But a gentlemen always offers his seat to a lady. [Biased]

Tubbs

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

Especially after she shows her full set of 'gator teeth, accompanied by a few words of down-home plain talk.

Posted by Melangell (# 4023) on :

Unbelievable news. Others have expressed far better than I can, how very much she will be missed on the Ship.

Condolences to Jason and to all of Erin's family.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

But a gentlemen always offers his seat to a lady. [Biased]

Tubbs

That's Our Lady and Erin sorted, then!

S-E:
quote:
I think one is there already. There is something in the 11 o'clock position, about to torpedo the lifeboat. Surely that's a 'gator?

[ 16. January 2011, 08:42: Message edited by: Robert Armin ]

Posted by the famous rachel (# 1258) on :

I haven't posted regularly for a while, and haven't even lurked since the birth of my son in November. Dropping in briefly to the Ship's front page yesterday and finding this sad news was a big shock. My heart goes out to Erin's friends and family.

[Votive]

Posted by Late Quartet (# 1207) on :

I arrive, slowly, at this news: thoughts and prayers from me too. I am grateful, especially, for Erin's practical and common sense support during the Ark.

Posted by Eanswyth (# 3363) on :

Damn.

I don't look at the Ship for months and this is what I see when I come back. One of my heros is gone too soon. [Votive]

Posted by JFH (# 14794) on :

I registered 2 years ago, and I've been lurking for longer than that, somewhat irregularly though. When KenWritez passed away I was crying alone in a room in China, not knowing why; I had never written anything to him. Yet the Ship of Fools has become a strange part of my life, or at least its characters - maybe I'm the spectator of some game, and the Fools be the players. Erin's passing away made me speechless and forlorn. I've been contemplating on whether to write this post at all, being such a newcomer and all, being such a lurker and all, and then I though I'd write my fiftieth post here. Now that just seems cheesy. People will say that Erin would have chopped me to bits for that, but to me it's just a loss, a major one. I feel a bit like Radar from MASH, not really knowing what to write or what to behave like, but I just feel sad - there is something missing. May God keep Erin's family, and give rest to her great spirit.

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

quote:
Originally posted by JFH:
People will say that Erin would have chopped me to bits for that, but to me it's just a loss, a major one. I feel a bit like Radar from MASH, not really knowing what to write or what to behave like, but I just feel sad - there is something missing. May God keep Erin's family, and give rest to her great spirit.

I don't think anyone would say that, and although I didn't know Erin well, I knew her on these boards for quite a long time, and I can't imagine her chopping you to bits for your post.

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

JFH,

Nobody here started out as a full fledged great poster. While I cannot say that I am a great poster, I remember my first few posts with a full degree of embarrassment. At least I am better than I was.

Keep on posting. Find out that you are as good as anybody else and by doing that honor the memory of Erin. She cared about the Ship more than anyone I know. If she knew that you were wanting to be a contributing member, she would be encouraging you.

Beautifully put, Tortuf.

If you've been lurking for two years, I'd wager you've gotten to know us reasonably well. We welcome the chance to return the favor. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
We welcome the chance to return the favor. [Smile]

yes, please. come play with us.

Posted by 3M Matt (# 1675) on :

Erin was one of a handful of people on the ship who had the respect even of those who disagreed with nearly everything she said.

I've been kicking around SoF for a long time now, on and off, and the idea of SoF without Erin is just...bizzare. That #2 under her name tells its own story...an absolute cornerstone of SoF.

The dullest thread could be injected with life by Erin's timely interventions, and she had a fantastic knack of getting right to the point.

I don't know much about Erin in real life, but isn't it strange how, in the real world I suspect she was just ordinary everyday person (I don't mean that in a bad way)...but here, on SoF..its sort of like hearing of the death of a celebrity or world leader. She was a giant of an online community of thousands of members. How amazing to have that kind of reach and influence over so many that you have never met.

Rest in Peace Erin.

Posted by Dee. (# 5681) on :

[Eek!]
Computer breaks down just before Christmas, I dont replace, pop in this morning as have not been around for a while and this>

I am speechless for about 30 minutes untill I post this...will probably be so for the rest of the day...

What a gap for the ship, a gator shaped hole...this feels very surreal and very very sad, an unspeakable loss.

[ 05. February 2011, 21:38: Message edited by: Dee. ]

Posted by Jason™ (# 9037) on :

Been a while since I've checked in here but decided to pop in this morning. Noticed the "Erin" board and figured she'd retired her position for some reason.

This is almost as shocking as that would have been. I didn't expect to find news like this today. Thinking about Erin's family.

It's good to see many of you, though.

Posted by John Donne (# 220) on :

Like some others checked in randomly for the first time in 18 months and saw the board - thought it may be for something like a Hosts&Admins day: cut out the middleman, just bring the miscreants directly to Erin and keep it all in one convenient place - so am doubly shocked and saddened.

Turning forty ain't that bad, ya dint have to do something so drastic to get out of it. [Tear]

My condolences to Jason and Erin's other family and friends.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I didn't post on this thread when I saw the news a couple of weeks ago, but I did need to take a walk that evening to try to absorb it all. And that for someone whom I didn't know personally, and neither had any direct dealings with on the Ship.

My thoughts go out to her family.

Posted by A Feminine Force (# 7812) on :

I have been on extended shore leave and come back aboard for a couple of minutes to check in and find this.

I feel certain that wherever the soul we knew as Erin is at present, she is doing fine.

The rest of the Ship, probably not so good without her. She left a huge hole in the hull when she left.

My kindest wishes to all Shipmates and to Erin's family.

LAFF

Posted by Clyde (# 752) on :

Gosh....What a shock...
Whilst I'm a regular on the Caption Contest it's years since I have visited any other part of the ship's activities.
I am so sorry to hear about Erin and I send my sincere sympathy to her Family. A great Ship's character who will always be missed....I'm sure.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

Still keep waiting for her to pop up with a comment. Just seems so wrong she's not around.

Posted by Calindreams (# 9147) on :

I'm so sorry to hear about Erin. I just loved to read everything she posted. Truly irreplaceable.

Posted by Catrine (# 9811) on :

Terrible news. Am late, but still sad. Thank you Erin for all you have contributed.
[Votive]

© Ship of Fools 2016