Thread: Leetle Masha RIP Board: Glory / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=75;t=000014

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

On the prayer thread, CuppaT posted the sad news of the passing of shipmate Leetle Masha.
quote:
Originally posted by CuppaT:
Leetle Masha, Mary Hamilton, fell asleep in the Lord last night shortly before midnight, November 3, 2011. Memory Eternal.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory [Votive]

[ 04. November 2011, 16:58: Message edited by: Spike ]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Loveheart (# 12249) on :

[Votive] RIP Leetle Masha, God take you to him

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

May her memory be eternal!

Posted by CuppaT (# 10523) on :

I want to tell you all the kind of friend that Mary has been to me. Like so many, we met on the Ship here, but became fast friends. She is easily 20-30 years my senior, and much more brilliant than I, with more degrees than one could count. She edited books until just recently and sent me some that she thought I or my husband would like. We exchanged music, Christmas presents, tears, prayer requests, stories, and sorrows over the years with phone calls every couple of weeks or a month. She lived alone with her cats and her ring-necked doves, never having married. Much of her life she spent taking care of her elderly father, and so marriage passed her by, she said. She sang for a while in her Orthodox church choir, alto. In a particularly cold winter with much ice, and with money for paying taxes on the house being slim, I encouraged her to move in with our family and live out her days with us. She used to joke about it, but never took it seriously. I wish she had. I never got to see her face to face, but one day I will.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

I'm sorry to hear that. Light perpetual shine upon her.

Posted by Nenuphar (# 16057) on :

[Votive] May God grant peace to her soul and comfort to all who mourn her passing.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Oh [Frown]

[Votive] for all who will miss her.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

I'm so sorry to read this.
CuppaT thanks for drawing us a warm picture.
[Votive]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

[Votive]

Thank you spike and cuppaT

Posted by Major Disaster (# 13229) on :

[Votive]

Posted by crynwrcymraeg (# 13018) on :

[Votive]

Posted by St Everild (# 3626) on :

May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

RIP Leetle Masha [Votive]

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

[Votive] Leetle Masha, that she may rest in peace
[Votive] CuppaT, and all who mourn her

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:

Amen and Amen. [Votive] [Tear]

Posted by Boadicea Trott (# 9621) on :

quote:

Amen to that.

Memory Eternal, Leetle Masha.... [Votive]

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

I was one of the recipients of her random acts of kindness to a stranger, a few years back. She sent me two Christmas CDs which I desperately wanted. I was sorry to have to add her to my cancer prayer list. And now life's journey is over. And the next journey begun.

[Tear] [Votive]

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

[Votive] Such sad news. We had a couple of lovely conversations via the Ship, she being so kind in indulging my curiosity about Orthodoxy. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

Leetle Masha was often particularly encouraging to me on the Ship, and outside of it we occasionally exchanged gifts. We never met in person though, which I regret.

I have no doubts that she is in heaven now. Hence when I pray for her, I will also ask her to pray for my family and me, as she has done before. [Votive]

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

We got on. I remember our earliest exchanges (over spoof verses to "Immortal Invisible" in which we added verses to reflect our respective denominations). Mary's contribution re the Orthodox included the lines

"We've sung the same hymns
Since 503".

That made me chuckle, and it wasn't the only time.

She'll enjoy singing in eternity - I'll enjoy singing with her.

Rest in peace and rise in glory, Masha.

[Votive]

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

aw crap. [Tear]

Blessed journey, Mary.

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

Mary sent me many understanding and supportive PMs and from reading the AS prayer thread, it seems she did the same for quite a lot of folk here! Like me (and many of us), she had some ups and downs with SoF though her underlying concern was to see it back on an even keel.

[Votive] God bless Leetle Masha, the "Cantankerous Anchoress"

Posted by Louise (# 30) on :

[Votive]

Mary was also kind to me and prayed for a dear orthodox friend of mine in a time of need. I'm truly truly sad.

L.

Posted by Darllenwr (# 14520) on :

That this was expected news makes it no easier to bear.

I never met Leetle Masha in the flesh; how much I wish that I had. She wrote a number of encouraging PM's to me shortly after I joined the ship (at a time when squiggle Andrew was at his height), prompting me not to chuck the Ship aside as a bad job. I valued that contact very greatly at the time - still do.

I'm not usually one for votives, but this one is well warranted - Mary, I will miss you [Votive]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

May her memory be eternal.

Give rest, O Lord, to your handmaiden Mary in a place of brightness, a place of verdure, a place of repose, from which all sickness, sorrow, and sighing have fled away.

Goodbye, Mary, until we meet again.

May her memory be eternal.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

[Votive] For Leetle Masha, may light perpetual shine upon her.
[Votive] For CuppaT and all who mourn.

(Thank you for providing her name; I can add her to our All Saints Sunday necrology.)

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

I'm very sorry to hear that... may she RIP [Frown]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Go with God, Mary. [Votive]

CuppaT, thank you for the lovely post. What a blessing you must have been in her life.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

[Votive]

Posted by JSwift (# 5502) on :

Prayers for her friends and family. [Votive]

What a crappy day this has turned out to be. I enjoyed her contributions to the Ship and will miss her posts. I never got around to letting her know because I kept putting it off for something more "important".

I have family relatively close to where she lived and I had intended to see if she would be up for a visit when I visited them. I haven't gotten around to visiting them either. If this has taught me anything is that I need to get off my rear and do so before it is too late.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Leetle Masha was a shipmate I would have loved to have met in real life. She sent some lovely pms, telling me about her beloved cats, I just wish I'd kept in contact more.
May she rest in peace and rise in glory [Votive]

Posted by Margaret (# 283) on :

I was thinking about her not long ago and hoping she'd soon be back - I always enjoyed her kind, humorous, intelligent posts. May light perpetual shine upon her!

Posted by amber. (# 11142) on :

She will be much missed by me. Always a kind, thoughtful and quietly gentle presence in the background, explaining and encouraging and settling....Heaven will be lucky indeed to have her up there.

[Votive]

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

My prayers too

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

I am so sorry to hear of this. She will be missed.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Into they hands, O merciful saviour, we commend the soul of thy servant Mary, now departed from the body. Acknowledge, we beseech thee, a sheep of thine own fold, a lamb of thine own flock, a sinner of thine own redeeming. Receive her into the arms of thy mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

One of those shipmates I only occasionally encountered online and never IRL, but that was enough to reveal a true Christian soul with a great sense of humour and warmth. May she rest in peace. [Votive]

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

[Votive] Leetle Masha. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

[Votive] Amen

Posted by Athrawes (# 9594) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
I was thinking about her not long ago and hoping she'd soon be back - I always enjoyed her kind, humorous, intelligent posts. May light perpetual shine upon her!

This goes for me, as well. I am sorry to hear of her passing. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

And [Votive] for those who grieve for her now. May they/you all find peace and comfort.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Kyrie eleison [Votive]

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

I'm picturing the shipmeet in heaven.
[Votive]

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Trisagion (# 5235) on :

Always kind and supportive to me, I pray for her eternal rest.

Requiem aeternum dona ei Domine et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in pace.

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

I enjoyed reading what she posted. Can't really say any more than what's been posted above. [Frown]
[Votive]

Posted by Enigma (# 16158) on :

Thanks be to God for Mary - she is now safe in the hugs of her Lord and those who have arrived before her.

Posted by Scarlet (# 1738) on :

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

She has been a great blessing to me and a comfort. I'm grateful the Lord blessed me through her. Now she is with him and our other Shipmates...

Posted by 205 (# 206) on :

There are not very many posters here whose moniker draws me every time to read what they wrote, and now there is one less.

Wherever you are please think of us fools often, and smile.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

[Votive]

Now, at last, they were beginning Chapter 1 of the Great Story--which goes on forever, which no one on earth has read, in which every chapter is better than the one before.

--CS Lewis, "The Last Battle"

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

[Votive]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Rest eternal grant unto her, O Lord, and let light perpetual shine upon her.

[Votive]

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

She would pop up with fascinating pm's on topics of concern. She always wanted me to see Orthodoxy (with a big O) in a good light and was concerned when someone tried to say something less than kind about her faith.

I will miss her.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

Rest in peace dear one. [Votive]

Posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd) (# 12163) on :

She was a wonderful, intelligent, lively, insightful lady.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive]

Posted by nomadicgrl (# 7623) on :

[Votive] Thoughts and prayers for those who knew and loved her.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

[Votive]

Rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posted by cor ad cor loquitur (# 11816) on :

She was very kind to me, as to so many. May she rest in peace. Mary Hamilton, pray for us.

Posted by Niteowl2 (# 15841) on :

May she rest in peace and may God grant comfort to all who loved her. [Votive]

Posted by Mrs Shrew (# 8635) on :

She was a lovely lady, and will be very much missed. May she rest in peace and rise in glory, and may those who mourn her find comfort.

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

I am leading the intercessions in church tomorrow and have added Mary's name to those who have died recently. [Votive]

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

I did not correspond with her much, but I do remember her. Sad to see that she is gone. [Tear] [Votive]

Posted by Mili (# 3254) on :

So sad to read this news. I found so many of Mary's posts insightful, inspiring and comforting. It's lovely to read of all the lives she touched here on the Ship. She must have been an amazing woman in real life. [Votive] for her friends and family.

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

Another alto in the heavenly choir has arrived! The sound must be so beautiful!

Happy heavenly homecoming Lettle Masha!

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Very sad news [Votive]

Posted by Caty M. (# 11996) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
She would pop up with fascinating pm's on topics of concern. She always wanted me to see Orthodoxy (with a big O) in a good light and was concerned when someone tried to say something less than kind about her faith.

I will miss her.

She loved her faith so much, and was sensitive of aspersions and bad characterizations of it, not the least from some who had claimed its mantle. We would exchange PMs and agree to consider the sources and rejoice in our fellow Christians who could put aside divisions for the love of Christ.

May light eternal shine upon her. [Votive] [Tear]

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

That heavenly shipmeet is getting a tad too large. [Votive] for her friends and family who are left to mourn.
Rest in peace, Mary, and rise in glory.

Posted by nowsouthwest (# 14600) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

[Votive] Sad to hear. I didn't know her very well but her mushroom avatar always made me smile.

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

We were so lucky to have her as a shipmate. May the Lord bless her and keep her. [Votive]

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Masha (# 10098) on :

Sad news. Leetle Masha sent me lovely welcome messages due to our similar name. When she found out that I loved music she sent me links to some Bach recordings she thought I'd enjoy.

Such a lovely woman. [Votive]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Oh my - [Tear] - I've only just seen this. Like so many above I was touched by the humanness of a shipmate that reached out beyond the anonymity of ether and the tyranny of distance.

I too will treasure memories of her PMs

Yes, Mary, go encircled by angels into that realm of celestial light. [Votive]

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

I always liked Leetle Masha's measured, gentle, encouraging posts; and the soft self-effacing humour behind them. When I saw her avatar, I knew I would probably feel somewhat differently about whatever was being discussed, if I read her post, because she had a priceless way of defusing angst.

I like to imagine that this is what she was like IRL too. So very glad CuppaT has written about the blessing she has been in this world, and will continue to be to us as she joins the ranks in heaven.

Thank you, CT.

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

[Votive]

Posted by CuppaT (# 10523) on :

I was not ready before, but I am now.

This is what Leetle Masha wanted me to post after she passed on. She said to find a good version of Tommy Makem singing Isn't it Grand Boys, because she didn't want a bunch of Shippies sniffling over her. She'd rather have a toast! So, here's to Mary, and here's to those who mourn, and here's to those who pray for her also.

CuppaStout

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

Happy to raise a glass for Leetle Masha; may she ever dance in our hearts and the heavenly realms.

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

Raising my glass here - To Mary!

Posted by Malin (# 11769) on :

Mary was very kind in PM's to me on many occasions.

In 2007 she sent me links to her church website where I could download icons. She went to great length to explain how to resize them and I still have the icons I printed and laminated.

A year or two later she wrote so gently and kindly when I was going through a time of great fear. And she prayed for me.

Lord, grant us the grace that overflowed in Mary's life and may she rest in peace and rise in glory [Votive]

Posted by TonyK (# 35) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Morlader (# 16040) on :

Raising a glass : Mary : [Votive]

Posted by Timothy the Obscure (# 292) on :

She was kind, witty, and intelligent. I always read her posts. She liked poetry, and we had a few PM exchanges about it.

Rest in the light, Masha. [Votive]

Posted by rexory (# 4708) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

quote:

Amen. Thanks you, CuppaT, for letting us know the news, and for allowing us to pray for Leetle Masha before she died. I loved hearing about her cats and birds.

[Votive]

Posted by Chelley (# 11322) on :

I had been wondering whether I had earned the right to post on this thread having not really had any personal interaction with Leetle Masha, but then I thought that her name has been a familiar one through my Ship travels and I want to add my [Votive] for my fellow Shipmate as she journeys on to glory.

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

[Votive]

Posted by The Weeder (# 11321) on :

When I first began posting, I responded to a post by an Orthodox. The response was aggressive and contemptuous. I was very taken aback- this was not in Hell!

Little Misha responded on the board, in a kind and helpful manner, but also sent me a PM, Explaining that I was not the only person who had recieved such a response.

I thought it so kind of her to take the time and trouble.

[Votive] [Votive]

[ 07. November 2011, 10:29: Message edited by: The Weeder ]

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

[Votive] for those who loved her and were touched by her her ... comfort and peace [Votive]

Posted by Enigma (# 16158) on :

For the family and friends of Mary especially. [Votive]

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

[Votive]

Posted by saysay (# 6645) on :

[Votive]

She was always so kind. I'll miss her.

So long, friend.

Posted by Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known (# 11399) on :

[Votive]

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I received a lovely pm from her after posting about Molly, the cat who regarded our street as her home.

[Votive]

Posted by malik3000 (# 11437) on :

[Votive] Rest in peace, Mary.

I never had any personal correspondence with her, but like other shipmates i found Leetle Masha's posts to be kind and thoughtful. I will miss her.

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

Came to sign the guest book. [Votive]

Rest in peace, Leetle Masha, and thank you.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Prayers for Mary and all who loved her as a dear friend.
[Votive]

Posted by Major Disaster (# 13229) on :

Ninth day Memorial service today.
Eternal memory to the newly-departed servant of God Mary!
[Votive]

Posted by goperryrevs (# 13504) on :

I'll never forget her kind words of comfort and wisdom. Thank you, Mary, your are truly one of God's own.

[Votive]

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Shame on me. My selfish pained thoughts of how I'll miss her should show up 'way down the list after all the gratitude that she's been with us and the joy over her being in the hands of God.

I hope I find others to love a capella music and shaped-note singing and similar, to enjoy them with me...

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Goodness, I'll miss sharing this stuff with her.

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

Leetle Masha once invited me to visit her, and even went so far as to find the most historic Quaker Meetinghouse in her area (full of historic Quaker Meetinghouses) where we could attend worship.

Unfortunately, life intervened, and I wasn't able to take her up on that invitation. I wish I had been able to.

But I enjoyed her presence on the Ship and know that she will be missed.

sabine

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

RIP and rise in glory [Votive]

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

I've been away for a few days so have only just seen this - I'm so sorry, and pray for all those who mourn Mary.

RIP, Leetle Masha, and rise in glory [Votive] .

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

I've been as shocked and saddened as others on reading this news. I believe she was a truly good-hearted woman. She was kind, generous, and noble with a remarkable breadth of knowledge and a droll sense of humor. We shared some lovely PMs together and for that I am grateful. I pray the suffering she experienced in this life, on and off the Ship, has prepared her for joy and greater glory in the the next.

Si por Tu sangre preciosa, Señor, la habéis redimido,
que la perdonas, Señor, por tu pasión dolorosa.
Dale, Señor, el descanso eterno
y luzca para ella la luz perpetua.
Que descanse en paz.
Amen

If by your Precious Blood, O Lord, you have redeemed her,
Forgive her, Lord, by your Sorrowful Passion.
Grant her Lord, eternal rest
and let perpetual light shine upon her.
May she rest in peace.
Amen.
[Votive]

Posted by Shoehorn with Teeth (# 2420) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

I'm envious.

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

Mousethief notified me when Leetle Masha's time was near. I was saddened by the news, but encouraged by the sure and certain hope of her resurrection.

May her memory be eternal!

Posted by Michael Astley (# 5638) on :

I have only now seen this. May her memory be eternal.

I am truly saddened. Mary looked after me when I began exploring Orthodoxy, always being on hand to offer support and guidance, and stories of her own conversion experiences, not to mention some of the colourful beardy-weirdies that she encountered, with assurances that I would find the same. We kept in touch, on and off, and she was always incredibly kind and supportive. I only wish I could have done more for her.

Lord, have mercy.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

I seem to recall that "Leetle Masha" was the nickname given to her by one of the priests who taught her during her conversion to Orthodoxy. So just seeing her name always made me smile, thinking of the affection behind it.

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 95) on :

I will certainly come close to cracking up laughing when we sing "Immortal, Invisible" to "St. Denio", remembering her excellent parody.

Give rest, O Christ, to your servant with your saints!

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

Only just seen this (internet very intermittent right now). God Bless Leetle Masha [Votive]

Posted by Angel Wrestler (# 13673) on :

oh, dear. so sorry to hear this news. [Frown]

Posted by East Price Road (# 13846) on :

[Votive] RIP

© Ship of Fools 2016