Thread: The Erin Fund Board: Erin / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=000006

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

We're opening this fund so those who knew Erin can give to the causes which were close to her.

We are not yet sure how the money collected will be used, but it is likely that it will be split between Ship of Fools and a charity chosen by Erin's family. The Ship of Fools Admins will make that decision at a later date and post about it in the Styx, together with an account of the money raised.

If you are happy with this arrangement and would like to make a donation, please follow the link below. Thanks.

http://shipoffools.com/erin_fund/index.html

Just to add... thanks to everyone who gave via the Ship's Floating Fund yesterday. All the payments will be earmarked for the Erin Fund.

Posted by iGeek (# 777) on :

A pleasure to do so as a sign of the respect I have for her and her work to make the Ship what it is.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

I have donated. You know who I am.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Done. Thank you, Simon.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Sent mine off before I read this (by old-fashioned cheque, because I'm like that). I put 'in memory of Erin and all she did for the ship' which should make it obvious I'd like it earmarked for the Erin Fund.

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

I just did mine via PayPal, so I attached a note that it was for the Erin Fund.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

Ah, I used credit card, which didn't give me an option for a note. So paypal for notes, I guess.

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

I just donated via paypal, but I didn't see the note option. So it will just say "floating fund". Simon: use as you see fit, and I'm happy for it to support your trip. If you have to fly through DC for some reason of economy, let me know!

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

I donated to both the Erin Fund and the Floating Fund (when did it stop being the Organ Fund? Did I forget that change?)

Simon- the Floating Fund donation from Alaska is meant to help offset your travel expenses. At the very least, raise a drink for me. If you chose not to use the remainder after the drink for your travel, the money is for general Ship expenses.

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

So glad to hear that you'll be there, Simon. It's a heavy load of grief and memories you'll be carrying as our emissary.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

Strictly speaking, I don't think Simon has said yet whether he'll be able to go, or will go. But we're hoping he'll go for us.

Posted by The Weeder (# 11321) on :

Donated

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Strictly speaking, I don't think Simon has said yet whether he'll be able to go, or will go. But we're hoping he'll go for us.

I understand entirely.

Posted by Pax Romana (# 4653) on :

I just sent something via Paypal. It wasn't much, but I hope it helps.

Pax Romana

Posted by Taliesin (# 14017) on :

mine sent.

Posted by Deputy Verger (# 15876) on :

I'm sorry. Paypal is giving me a lot of irritating uphill tonight. I would call it to hell but somehow the point seems lost under the circumstances.

I have reset my password 12 times and told it where I went to school and my first cat's name, but we are going around in circles to the point where I am close to damaging the hardware, and that won't help.

I will try again tomorrow.

DV

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

DV - if you have no luck, I think UK peeps can pay by cheque...

Posted by Suze (# 5639) on :

Yeah, I'm having some of the same problems - it's been a while since I've used paypal but will sort that tomorrow morning.Please feel free to use my donation for whatever costs are the most urgent for whatever relevant cause in Erin's memory.

Posted by Niteowl2 (# 15841) on :

PayPal just worked fine for me. I'm in the U.S. so perhaps that makes a difference.

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

I've just donated via PayPal from UK but I didn't spot an option to say what it was for.

Please use my money as seems right - happy for it to be used partly or wholly to support those attending the funeral if this will help.

Thanks to everyone who has given... it's so kind of you all. We're regarding all donations made to the Floating Fund since Jason posted as Erin Fund donations. They'll be divided between the Ship and a charity (not sure which one yet... suggestions welcome), and on the Ship side the first priority will be help with travel expenses to Jacksonville for any of the shipmates who need it.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Was there a charity that Erin was particularly keen on? Or that could help into research so that other people don't have to die too young?

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

I think there may be a clue in the background to her Twitter page.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

I've made a contribution by Credit Card.

Posted by Deputy Verger (# 15876) on :

Okay. Paypal decided to "restore" my account a day after making me jump through random hoops, and after they had made me change password and security questions, I see that they have totally outdated address and phone numbers for me. Anyway. I managed to make a token donation. No strings. Bless. [Votive]

Posted by ThinkČ (# 1984) on :

Twitter has the big ad for clean water, and I note Erin was following the American Red Cross and the Smithsonian.

Posted by rexory (# 4708) on :

Done by Paypal

Also I think the Mayo clinic itself may be a charity or attached to a charitable institution.

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

I've done my donation and also taken the opportunity to fork out for a custom avatar and title. I did try to pay for both at the same time but the interplay between PayPal and Ship of Fools didn't seem to add them to the same basket. Never mind; all sorted now.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

For those who can't afford to donate at this time, may I suggest using a "click to donate" site? You simply click on the cause for which you want to donate, and an advertiser donates--there's no cost to you.

From what I see in this thread, it looks like some of Erin's interests were the environment, health, science, and history.

I'm familiar with two sites that have some of those causes:

The Hunger Site, and its sister sites.

Care2.com offers many causes to click for.

FWIW.

Thank you everyone who has given to the Erin Fund. We'll be emailing "proper" thank-yous next week to everyone who has given, but for now, thanks so much to all of you. The fund has had a couple of very good days, and we'll also post an account of that next week.

Posted by Malin (# 11769) on :

Sorry for being so lax in regular giving. This will change.

Starting with sorting myself a custom avatar - I am trying to follow the link to the avatar gallery but the page is not loading. Is this just me or is there a problem with it?

I think babybear's avatar gallery is no more, Malin. Apologies for the dead link, I'll remove it. Hope you're able to find a suitable avatar elsewhere.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Malin

Get in contact with Think2, she has a avatar page.

Jengie

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

You send it to think first and she makes it into an avatar that you save and send to the ship

Or tell me the sort of thing you fancy, or area of interest and I will hunt out some possible images we can turn into avatars.

(I like fiddling with graphics, in case you hadn't guessed.)

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Thanks to all who thought of donating to help with expenses for some attending Erin's funeral -- the almost-$300 it cost me to go would've been a terribly difficult stretch for the budget. Being able to receive that from Shipmates' donations and inject it back into the cash flow was a great help.

Thanks so much!

© Ship of Fools 2016