Thread: Wake in the Cafe Board: Erin / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=000007

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I am suggesting, in consultation with others in the Café that we hold a wake or running vigil for Erin in the Café the Gator Lounge on Friday. I *think* 11am EST is 4pm GMT, so was thinking from then on, people coming and going as they can, and as they can face it.

How about Green & Blacks as mandatory refreshments? Does anyone have any suggestions for drinks.

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

I'll be on a train from 5 till 10pm, but I'll find some internet when I arrive and call in for a while.

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

I'm attending a funeral on Friday - when Erin and her family will also be in my thoughts - so am unable to drop by. [Votive]

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

For drinks: vodka, champagne, or cabernet. But no gin!

I love gin. But on Friday I will drink no gin. Grey Goose vodka all the way.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Sounds good. [Waterworks]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I can pop in shortly before the funeral...about 7- 7:30 PST

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Can't make it at 4pm GMT, but will probably be in later that evening.

Posted by Taliesin (# 14017) on :

Glad to have somewhere to gather - thanks.

Posted by The Weeder (# 11321) on :

This is such a good idea. I will be there.

Posted by Foaming Draught (# 9134) on :

It's a great idea. Insomniacs aside, the antipodeans might not be around at the beginning.

FD

Posted by Emma Louise (# 3571) on :

I will be there.

Posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis (# 3886) on :

I've never made it into the cafe before, but hope to be there.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

I'll be there, when I get back from work (usually about 5 - 6pm Fridays). But I'll make a point of spending some time in the hospital chapel at 4.

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

Well, it's already Friday here where I am- so I've warmed up the bar-stool for yous all.

Here's to Erin. Cheers, because she'd want us to drink deep and not be half-arsed about it.

The other suggestion was, and I forgot to say it in the OP, that we post on here to say when were in and out to show who was involved.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

I'll do my best, but that may not be much good judging by tonight's experience - server kept timing out.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

I had trouble a few days back Qlib. Update your Java. That's what I did. It worked.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

I'm working til 7 (UK time) so will drop by if there's still anyone around.

Posted by iGeek (# 777) on :

Just used Java 6 and Chrome to get in ... no probs.

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

I want to be there, but have big problems accessing the Cafe, so it may not be possible. However, I will be celebrating Communion at 3.00, and will definitely be remembering Erin during that. No one else will know, but God will.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

I was going to be there, but now have a meeting scheduled. I'll join those dropping by later.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

6 am local time and a few of us are in the cafe.

Posted by Spiffy (# 5267) on :

Was hoping to log in from work this morning, but missed one train already. We'll see what happens.

checking in at 7 am PST

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

I think the Café is Java, in which case I won't be able to attend, but, can anyone provide instructions on how to get to the Café? I haven't been there in years - probably since Miss Molly left us.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

I won't be there in the cafe but will be thinking of you all (and of course all those at the funeral itself) - there in spirit [Votive]

Posted by Jenny Ann (# 3131) on :

Like Jack, I won't be able to attend, but am there in spirit.

[Votive] to all

I've rearranged my schedule so will be there

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

I will try and pop in just after 4pm.

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

(Just got kicked out of the Cafe - just me or others too?)

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

I also can't be there in person, but will be there in spirit.

A

Me too, lily pad.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

I just got kicked out too... I wondered if it was 'cos I should be w*rking!

[ 07. January 2011, 14:42: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
(Just got kicked out of the Cafe - just me or others too?)

Me too. Can't reconnect. Will keep trying.

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

I was in, but I got dropped, and now I can't seem to get back in.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

same here. got the boot and can't return. I think it was mine and Woderick's temperature extremes discussion. we scared it.

[ 07. January 2011, 14:42: Message edited by: comet ]

Posted by Sarkycow (# 1012) on :

Snap.

Too many people trying to get in?

Looks like it's the whole cafe...

And it's not letting me back in.

[cross-posted with the world]

[ 07. January 2011, 14:43: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Me too, no patience tonight so will just sit here gently with a candle.

We're all in for a bit of a wait then. Will post if I get back in. Please do the same!

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

I'm trying to find someone with enough superpowers to fix it, but both Melon and Pease appear to be hard to reach right now. Sometimes it reboots itself after a while.

Posted by OliviaG (# 9881) on :

Oh good, it's not just me. I thought I had been tossed for quoting "Desiderata". OliviaG

I can't do this properly now, still at w*rk, but if the Café has kicked you all out, it's going to need to reset and that happens every 15 minutes or so. You will be able to get back in, but you have to give it a few minutes.

I had problems too. I'm in now though.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Back in too...

Try again - I just got in, with Spike and WesleyJ. OliviaG

Me too!

Posted by MrSponge2U (# 3076) on :

I have gotten in now

Word is that Pease is on the techie side of things and I've passed a message to him re: café issues. Patience is the virtue of the hour.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I'm about to be offline for a couple of hours but will join you all in spirit.

Well, that was amazing. I don't know how many of us were there, but there were so many we managed to crash the cafe at one point. It really was quite something to be united in prayer with people from all over the world.

Go forth on your journey from this world Erin. May God keep you safe.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

That was really something. I counted 57 people in the cafe as the most at any one time, but there were folk coming in and leaving all over the place so the total number of those who were there for some of it must be far higher.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Thank you all, especially those who led prayers and hymns.

[Votive]

Posted by Think˛ (# 1984) on :

Just leaving work - see you in about half an hour. (I am assuming that some people will be staying a little longer.)

[ 07. January 2011, 16:13: Message edited by: Think˛ ]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

May the Ship be with you.

Posted by Alicďa (# 7668) on :

thanks all. [Votive]

Was a fitting send off I thought.

Was lovely to be able to pay my respects along with you all and thanks for those who led prayers and hymns.

[Votive] RIP Erin

[ 07. January 2011, 16:14: Message edited by: Alicďa ]

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

Checking in now

Posted by Ophelia's Opera Therapist (# 4081) on :

Good to be part of at least 55 of us. Thanks for the tech support about half way through - a big wave threw many/all of us overboard. Someone blamed a 'gator tail.

[Votive]

OOT

I know it's for a tragic occasion, but this kind of thing brings out all the best in the Ship. Echoing virtual hymns, serious prayers and votives interspersed with ribald comments and backchat in delightful unrestful chaos with a purpose - and above all, the firm hope of resurrection from the dead to a better place.

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

Was good to be part of it, in a virtual way.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Very good. First time I'd been. All sorts of technical hitches (mostly down to me) didn't get in the way. Many thanks to all. Virtual singing has a lot going for it.

Posted by TubaMirum (# 8282) on :

Just a quick question: should my board login have worked? I tried to get in but could not - perhaps it was at the point when others were having trouble, though, too.

But I'm glad it was good....

Posted by Lesedi (# 5234) on :

It's the first time I've participated in something like this and it was quite wonderful. As a retired UM pastor, I kept thinking about where we would be in our litury at any given point. Especially appreciated praying the Lord's Prayer together and the singing.
Grace and peace to all who remember Erin this day.

Cherie

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

That was the best hour I've ever spent online. And the saddest.

[Votive]

Thanks to everyone who attended, and everyone who tried to attend, and to Pease who helped us all get back on board (I got dunked twice!). It was a very special time, and I do feel just a teensie bit better. OliviaG

Posted by MrSponge2U (# 3076) on :

That was a lovely service in the cafe. So good to see so many Shipmates in the cafe, and I count myself lucky that my PC cooperated (for the most part) so I could join in.

May the memory of Erin be eternal. [Votive]

[ 07. January 2011, 16:34: Message edited by: MrSponge2U ]

Someone still in here has said we should have mystery worshipped that. I rolled in part way through, but I have the prayers I was putting up - they were the bits I lost it at when on the sound desk this afternoon for a real life funeral for someone I knew.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

It was wonderful. So good to be able to spend that time with shipmates.

Thank you, pease!

Posted by Nenuphar (# 16057) on :

It was a very moving service. Thank you to all those who made it possible.

Posted by Think˛ (# 1984) on :

There are still 20 or so people in the cafe wake.

Posted by Organ Builder (# 12478) on :

Missed the service, but managed to spend about 30 minutes there on a lunch break. A bit dizzying for a first-timer, but I'm sure I'll go back when it's slower. It was lovely to see how many were there, and I trust my silence was not interpreted as disinterest.

Posted by Malin (# 11769) on :

That was special. I had TV on to hypnotise the kids and was shovelling food into Malino (7 months) while crying and feeling part of a fantastic online world.

Hit the water hard and took a while to get back onboard again, and then everyone's avatars had gone so mystery voices only.

A chorus of global posts of hope, love and humour.

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

Yes, thank you for that ... so moving. Was glad to have been able to make it after all ...

A

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Thanks to everyone who was there... it was the best service I've been in (online or offline) since the closing service in Church of Fools. Thanks especially to everyone who came with prayers and bits of liturgy to post, but really, it was all pretty wonderful, including the jokes and asides. We're hoping to get the transcript of the vigil/wake from the server, and a tally of how many people in total logged in over the hour.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Someone still in here has said we should have mystery worshipped that. I rolled in part way through, but I have the prayers I was putting up - they were the bits I lost it at when on the sound desk this afternoon for a real life funeral for someone I knew.

I think Nicolemrw read Kaddish. There were LOTS of readings. Hymns & music:
The Lord is My Shepherd
Thine is the Glory
Abide With Me
You'll Never Walk Alone (Carousel)
Guide me, o thou Great Jehovah
The cafe was evacuated a few times, but we carried on! OliviaG

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

Yes, that was the Mourners Kaddish. Sorry it took so long, I had to type it out by hand, so there may be typos too. But it seemed appropriate.

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
We're hoping to get the transcript of the vigil/wake from the server, and a tally of how many people in total logged in over the hour.

I couldn't make it. But look forward to seeing the transcript.

quote:
Thanks to everyone who was there... it was the best service I've been in (online or offline) since the closing service in Church of Fools.

Yes, it was good it seemed very much like the Church of Fools again.
Although people had to describe what they were doing as it was held in the dark.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Well, that was amazing. I don't know how many of us were there, but there were so many we managed to crash the cafe at one point.

There were 53 on just before it crashed. There were more than that who took part because some people had already had to leave by then.

__Autenrieth (just call me Count) Road

I had the menu showing the numbers in the rooms up - there were 49-57 for all of the second part after the crash - it varied as people came and went.

My meeting was postponed so I was able to be there, for which I'm very grateful. I was participating in Quaker silence listening to the gifts others were able to offer, (whilst waiting for a software upgrade in the background), and it felt good to be there with you all, seated between Simon and Louise and Smudgie. Very comforting.

[ 07. January 2011, 18:09: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Apologies for absence ... bloody round earth. A retrospective candle with y'all, though. [Votive]

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

Likewise. I was asleep. But now, early morning, I am thinking of you all.

Posted by Matrix (# 3452) on :

If the transcript isn't available I can supply the text for the prayers I used if anyone thought that would be helpful.

It was an honour to be a part of it, and to spend time with old acquaintances.

Grace and peace
M

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

There was a problem with Java on my computer, so I couldn't be there. I'm glad to hear it went well and was well-attended.

My computer's having problems too. I would love a transcript.

Posted by The Weeder (# 11321) on :

So would I- like a transcript, that is. I am so sorry to have missed it. I wish I could have been with you all

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

I was at the wake for Miss Molly, and I was there today for Erin's.

In each case, I think there has been a sense that the people who can get there represent the thoughts and prayers and intentions of everyone who can't be - in the same way that those who physically attended the funeral embodied the presence of everyone who was there 'in spirit'.

Posted by Mother Julian (# 11978) on :

Had to be at work at the time of the funeral, but popped in the Cafe from 11pm to midnight GMT. Only my second visit to the cafe - the first about 3 years ago ...

Only read this thread after visiting the cafe, or I would have been drinking something other than gin.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Thanks to everyone who was there... it was the best service I've been in (online or offline) since the closing service in Church of Fools.

Yes, it was good it seemed very much like the Church of Fools again. [...]
Yep. CoF being why I joined back in 2004. And the spirit (the Spirit) is alive.

Very very moving. Thank you all. Thank you, Eutychus and Spike for leading (as far as I could see) - though I had to leave early on. Thank you.

[ 08. January 2011, 01:01: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

No credit due here. I just remembered the Church of Fools form of joining in hymns and prayers in whichever language seemed most natural, and saying "amen" at the appropriate points. I think Spike was mostly responsible for the led prayers and OliviaG chose the right hymns - but it was a truly corporate effort.

As far as I can remember, that 'form' emerged pretty much spontaneously in the earliest days of CoF, I recall being struck with how well it worked then in terms of getting the spirit of community across. As Simon has said on another thread, 'belting out' Guide me, o Thou great Jehovah [Waterworks]

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

I wish I'd been there but my PC wouldn't let me into the Cafe (it never does - and normally that's fine, but yesterday it wasn't). Spent an hour feeling very sad and lonely, and wishing I could have been with rest of you for comfort. If a transcript is avaialble I would very much like one.

Posted by frin (# 9) on :

At the wake I shared a bit from Lamentations 4.3: 'even the crocodile cares for her young'.

Someone asked if it was really there in the Bible. And, yes, it kind of is. The half line of poetry is an image of an animal caring for its young, and the animal is either a jackal (if you wrestle hard with the Hebrew) or a sea monster. And sea monsters in the ancient near east are quite often crocodiles.

Erin looked after us, collectively and sometimes individually. This will be what I remember.

'frin

[ 10. January 2011, 13:25: Message edited by: frin ]

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

It was lovely to talk to shipmates in the Cafe after I came from the funeral. I was very touched by what you all said and told me about the ship service.

Erin would be so proud. Her family and other friends (did you think we were the only ones?) [Roll Eyes] had no clue about the Ship and the people all over the world that knew and communicated with Erin.

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Pease has been able to construct a transcript of the second half of the Cafe service... find it here.

Unfortunately, the Cafe logs get wiped after a restart, which is why we only have the second half, after the capsize. But still, this is a good record of what happened then.

Posted by Matrix (# 3452) on :

Thanks Simon

Posted by Paul W. (# 1450) on :

Thanks Simon + Pease, that transcript is wonderful. I'm sorry to have missed the service, but I got a real sense of the atmosphere from reading through that.

Paul W

Thanks for posting that. Reading through, the tears came back all over again.

Thanks Simon. A good record of the event.

And, of course, a chance to re-read all the bits I missed while I was typing!

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Brief analysis:

In the second half
60 people posted something
779 contributions
64 maximum contributions from a single poster: Eutychus

Languages included English, French, Hebrew, Gaelic (I think Louise), Polish and German (Again I think Rosa Winkel), and Hebrew

It's a strange feeling reading that again - another example of the new pathways being etched in our brains and in the world. I usually consider well what I type on the boards as editing must be done quickly or not at all and the results are there for all to see. As far as the Café goes, I seem to have a different "gear" and think of it all as being right in the moment and then gone.

What you have provided in transcript form, is a spontaneous act of worship by a body of people joined only through this medium of a keyboard, some cables, their love and the death of one of their own whom none had ever seen. I expected only to experience it in the moment but am glad that now others will catch a glimpse of something true and good.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
64 maximum contributions from a single poster: Eutychus

[Hot and Hormonal] But I'm so shy and retiring!

Thanks for the transcript. Up there with Fields of Gold.

Put it down to doing it in two languages.

Jengie

Posted by Louise (# 30) on :

quote:

Languages included English, French, Hebrew, Gaelic (I think Louise), Polish and German (Again I think Rosa Winkel), and Hebrew

Yep, The Lord's Prayer in Scots Gaelic.

L.

Thank you for putting that up, Pease.

It's moving to read. Unlike any other format I've ever read online. I mean, I read that format when in the Cafe, but you don't really notice when it's happening in real time.

I'm not making any sense, are I?

I was very moved to read the Kaddish from nicolemrw. I attend a Torah study on Saturday mornings in the summer; I'm (I think) the only Christian in the group. We frequently have a yahrzeit (one year anniversary of a death) to mark, and everyone stands and recites the Kaddish. Except me, because I don't know it. But the words and rhythms are familiar to me now, from hearing it so often, so reading it from nicolemrw gives me the same sense I have when standing with that group.

I wonder if it's allowed to recite it with that group for people whose yahrzeit falls outside of the summer; I will ask the rabbi.

(ETA: This Torah study meets only in the summer because the rabbi summers here in the state of Starlight; about half the group participants are summer residents. If it were a year-round group I'd just toddle off next December for the yahrzeit.)

[ 10. January 2011, 17:53: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

Wow.

Posted by morningstar (# 15860) on :

I had ducked out before the singing and praying started, thinking it would stop shipmates of longer standing being washed overboard, so I had missed what now thoughtfully has been made available in the transcript. Thank you. Even reading through was a moving experience.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Thanks Simon. A good record of the event.

And, of course, a chance to re-read all the bits I missed while I was typing!

And a chance for those of us who were unceremoniously thrown overboard, dunked or keel hauled from time to time to catch up on what we missed.

Given the fact that, as well as disappearing, many of us couldn't see who was speaking (hey, who turned out the lights?), the service / vigil reads as an amazing whole.

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

quote:
Polish and German (Again I think Rosa Winkel)

I guess the person most likely to post Polish would be me, but it wasn't. I posted using the Cyrillic alphabet in Old Slavonic.

I did post in German, though.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Arrietty said:
quote:
the shipmeet where we get to meet Erin!
Amen to that!

Your singing was magnificent. It was like a mighty fugue with everything fitting together and Heavenly harmonies that don't exist in normal life.

Thank you for letting me experience your memorial service.

(OK, a lot more kleenexes to gather up. I suspect the crying isn't nearly done.)

Thank you Smudgie. I was the one who said I couldn't imagine Erin resting, and you quoted me. I couldn't get in to the wake, but you got me there anyway.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

The transcript is amazing.

My wife asked me what virtual praise was like; I said, "like waves". Nor was it virtual, come to think of it. It was very, very real.

Yout final song about made me late for work this morning Marv. [Tear]

(Perfect, in other words.)

"You'll Never Walk Alone"? It seemed appropriate, especially with the amount of people from across the globe who were - and are - united in mourning.

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

Looking back at the singing of that song interspersed with various Bible quotations about God's love for us, and the Resurrection was cool especially for this Liverpool fan who associates that song with Hillsborough.

[ 11. January 2011, 10:21: Message edited by: Rosa Winkel ]

Thank you for the transcript and thanks to Pease for all his work to keep the cafe running at the time.

Jengie

Posted by frin (# 9) on :

quote:

Welsh. Just a little. Dyfrig was standing with me as we prayed the Lord's prayer, so I added a line in his words.

'frin

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Nor was it virtual, come to think of it. It was very, very real.

Absolutely. It was amazing to think that a crowd of us from all over the world were praying simultaneously.

Posted by Ancient Mariner (# 4) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Nor was it virtual, come to think of it. It was very, very real.

Absolutely. It was amazing to think that a crowd of us from all over the world were praying simultaneously.
It's been happening in St Pixels for many years! In fact, the wake was like Church of Fools in its most primitive form all over again. [Cool]

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

Indeed it was, AM! In fact, when everyone launched into the Lord's Prayer, I was sad that I wasn't able to be there, since no one was saying it in Latin.

jedijudy is quite right that it came across as a fugue. I especially loved nicole's Kaddish (I think?) going along steadily 'underneath' the prayers and hymns and odd bits all weaving in and out.

© Ship of Fools 2016