Thread: Erinitiatives Board: Erin / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=000019

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

It is already obvious, after the initial shock, disbelief and grief, that some shippies are keen to DO something in memory of Erin.

This board, in itself, is a testament to this. The MW report, the on-line guest book and the swamp lights map are other very meaningful ways to connect and share.

But some are looking for other, tangible ways to contribute, and this space is to thrash out what may or may not be a goer. I suggest we label things we are thinking about with project numbers.

Project 1 it seems to me, is the Memorial Fund, which is wonderful for those who can donate straight out.

This is not possible for everyone, and I have noticed a couple of shippies wondering if they could donate things they have crafted or skills they can share for some kind of silent auction, with the money then going to the Memorial Fund.

Project 2 therefore might be: Auction. (This could include bidding for custom avatars, silly toys, or whatever people feel the urge to contribute). This probably needs to be discussed, and if it's a goer we are going to need an auctioneer in admin to oversight the process. As many shippies already send chocolate and secret Santa pressies to each other at Easter and Christmas, I feel this may actually be possible.

Project 3 has popped up out of a discussion on the Crafters thread in heaven. Some of us would like to contribute piecework for a banner in memory of Erin. This needs a bit of co-ordination, but is do-able. However we don't just need craftspeople for this; we need suggestions for design elements too. Alligators and trolls come immediately to mind, as do lots of her pithy sayings. What words of hers would you like to see on a banner? Or on a poster or mug for that matter? This could have other spin-offs which might help the Fund.

Please discuss these, and weigh in with any other projects that you think may have some merit.

[ 09. January 2011, 19:12: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

what would be the purpose of the banner? where would it hang?

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
*muchly edited* What words of hers would you like to see on a banner?

I think that's going to depend on what the banner will be used for. I have no doubt at all that there are a great many Erinisms that would be highly appropriate for banners at, say, Fred Phelps civil partnership ceremony, but I struggle with the concept of Il Papa coming to the balcony overlooking St Peter's Square beneath a banner reading "Great googly moogly!..."

Although if he did, I'd definitely take it as proof of God's existence!

AG

Comet, the first anniversary of a sudden death is always a very difficult time, so I'm thinking a long way ahead, to being able to present it in time for December 30 this year. Which side of the pond it should go to is probably something those working on it need to decide.

If it's done very beautifully, and photographed well, images of it can be posted here too. There are other possibilities, but these are the ones that crossed my mind.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Mug rugs? A mug rug is a coaster, made of a piece of plastic mesh with wool woven through the holes. I have some with 'MUG RUG' and a picture of a mug on them. It might be possible to stitch a gator avatar or a saying.

I imagine if we have an auction, a gator mug rug might be a big hit. I think it would amuse Erin no end to see us bidding for the kitschest things imagineable. I can see her whispering into Sine's ear now: "You need that, you know you do!"

The other thing I could imagine selling is a mug with "Nuttier than a rat crap in a pistachio factory" on it.

As to the banner - if your idea of a banner is something formal and processional, then this idea maybe confusing to you. I am simply thinking of it as evocative wall art, made by a number of shippies. I'd love someone to donate a Florida Gators pennant to incorporate into it. It could be a collage of all kinds of sayings which make the reader smile. One has already said she is doing an embroidery sampler of "Be yourself. Unless you suck."

I could see "Great Googly Moogly" on there in woollen finger knitting; "Put your big girl panties on and deal with it" in satin and lace; "How do you wear that asshat?" in felting; "Shut the hell up" in luminous lightning print; "buy yourself a ladder and get over it" in rainbow colours; and "FUCKTARD" made out of bunny print material.

Just so you know how I'm thinking. Open to all suggestions here, and I don't mind being howled down at all.

Posted by The Great Gumby (# 10989) on :

This doesn't quite fit with the suggestions above, but Ricardus's comment here got me thinking about whether we could raise a band to ring something in Erin's memory.

Obviously, Erin would be the ideal method, but might be asking a bit much of a scratch band. Depending on availability, we could either try to ring something ASAP or fix a date for later in the year, maybe making it a part of the St Simeon's meet. That would give everyone a few months to learn/practice/brush up on Erin if we wanted to try that. It seems too perfect not to have a go if there's any chance.

Any thoughts, ringers?

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Banner Lady, that makes much more sense (and the ruder the word, the pinker and fluffier it should be).

GG - Celtic Knotweed reckons she might muddle through a plain course of Erin Doubles. Sadly, given the years I have spent wrestling with Dob Bubbles inside (and I mean years...), I think my role in Erin would be to bring a flask of something hot (or get the beers in for afterwards). I have to ring it before I can learn it, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

AG

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

If I may: Way back when we were planning the first Colorado/International Meet, Erin and I discussed what the meet should look like in terms of activities. It was important to her that in addition to enjoying each others' company, we also find a way to serve the community in which we were meeting and to worship together.

I'd like to suggest that a fitting tribute would be a day of prayer and service, individual or corporate. I think it fits the criterion of DO SOMETHING and also has the potential for a lasting positive legacy.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by marmot:
I'd like to suggest that a fitting tribute would be a day of prayer and service, individual or corporate. I think it fits the criterion of DO SOMETHING and also has the potential for a lasting positive legacy.

I like that idea. After the Virginia Tech shootings, the students resolved to give six hundred thousand hours of community service as a memorial.

Moo

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I emailed Simon with some ideas and questions practically at the same time as BL started this thread. Will post again when I hear back. It's a bit rude to ask and not await an answer [Roll Eyes] but at my time of posting here now, it's almost midnight in London.

Edited: How come my fingers can do complicated lace patterns but can't type "thread" properly? [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 09. January 2011, 22:39: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Project 3 Banner. PM me if interested.

Project 4 Bell ringing Erin on St.Simeon's Day. Tell Gumby if you are keen to attempt it. (Sounds like this one is not for beginners, though)

Project 5 Day of prayer and action (the action bit needs some thought - is it for the benefit of this community, or the other communities that surround us in RL?)

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:

Project 4 Bell ringing Erin on St.Simeon's Day.

Half-muffled I hope.

quote:

Project 5 Day of prayer and action (the action bit needs some thought - is it for the benefit of this community, or the other communities that surround us in RL?)

I was speaking in terms of working in the communities that surround us in real life. If that can be done as part of a Shipmeet, as Erin and I discussed back then, terrific. If one must, by choice or circumstance, work alone, I don't see a downside for this community or the ones in which we actually live.

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

It could be like a combination of the Fitness Race thread and the Erin Fund. Shipmates would post "X hours volunteering at the local food pantry" or whatever and someone would keep a running total of all hours volunteered In Memory of Erin.

Perhaps at certain milestones, a card could be sent to Erin's family, letting them know how many hours and some of the charitable causes supported.

Posted by The Great Gumby (# 10989) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Project 4 Bell ringing Erin on St.Simeon's Day.

Half-muffled I hope.
I'd hope so too, but unless we can raise a strong band, half-muffled backwards leads might be a recipe for disaster. We could ring a plain course of Erin after a half-muffled quarter of something else if all else fails.

The first step is to get our band. I think Qoheleth has a list of Ship ringers, so I'll start with him.

Posted by Liopleurodon (# 4836) on :

I mentioned on the crafts thread that I'm making a cross stitch sampler with "Always be yourself. Unless you suck." on it. (Basically I realised how many Erinisms would fit beautifully into the work of these guys, and felt that I had to do something along those lines.) Normally I'd be happy to get involved in a crafty memorial project but patchwork isn't my thing - knitting, cross stitch and Hama are. That said I can see a place for Erin-related cool handmade things to be sold for the Erin Fund.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
It could be like a combination of the Fitness Race thread and the Erin Fund. Shipmates would post "X hours volunteering at the local food pantry" or whatever and someone would keep a running total of all hours volunteered In Memory of Erin.

Perhaps at certain milestones, a card could be sent to Erin's family, letting them know how many hours and some of the charitable causes supported.

awesome!

Lio, there is a difference between patchwork and piecework. I don't do patchwork either, and that's not exactly what I'm aiming for.

And I love Gumby's new sig - yet another Erinism worthy to be enshrined!

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:
(Basically I realised how many Erinisms would fit beautifully into the work of these guys, and felt that I had to do something along those lines.)

Great link. Love the XTHBAI one, very subtle. I don't get the Harmless Sampler though - is it supposed to look like some of the toys are getting, er, too friendly? Because I'd really have to squint to get that.

Posted by Jonathan Strange (# 11001) on :

[meme tangent]

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I don't get the Harmless Sampler though - is it supposed to look like some of the toys are getting, er, too friendly? Because I'd really have to squint to get that.

The bear is called 'pedobear'.

[/meme tangent]

[ 10. January 2011, 13:52: Message edited by: Jonathan Strange ]

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

awesome!
Yes. I think she'd be pleased that we're doing something positive in the Real World, not just the Virtual World.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Gumby and I are in touch. I sense that a thread fork will be required.

Q.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
This doesn't quite fit with the suggestions above, but Ricardus's comment here got me thinking about whether we could raise a band to ring something in Erin's memory.

Obviously, Erin would be the ideal method, but might be asking a bit much of a scratch band.

Beat me to it! I was wondering whether to suggest getting a band for Erin myself.

I've never rung it, but I can handle Stedman, so it shouldn't be too difficult to learn.

There is of course space for one ringer to cover.

Project 3. Banner beginnings: so far we have seven interested in contributing to this: Lothlorien, Flausa, Lilypad, Earwig, Auntie Doris, Kitten, and me. We'll work out who's doing what over on the craft thread and by private pm. Others welcome, of course; but we'll probably have to have it largely sorted by February.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

From my post on the "Erin Fund" thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
For those who can't afford to donate at this time, may I suggest using a "click to donate" site? You simply click on the cause for which you want to donate, and an advertiser donates--there's no cost to you.

From what I see in this thread, it looks like some of Erin's interests were the environment, health, science, and history.

I'm familiar with two sites that have some of those causes:

The Hunger Site, and its sister sites.

Care2.com offers many causes to click for.

FWIW.

This would also be handy for people who can't get out and do things, for whatever reason.

FWIW, I'm all for doing good things in memory of Erin. But there could be (unintended) pressure for everyone to do X or Y, and that may leave some people out.
[Angel]

So, besides organized Erinitiatives, perhaps we could leave room for Random Acts of Erinness (tm)? People can report them or keep them secret, as they will, and lots of good will be rippling out--more than we ever know.
[Cool]

Just caring is doing something. Praying is certainly doing something. Meeting and raising a glass to the memories we have is doing something. All this thread was intended to provide was a little extra focus for those who have energy for other interesting forms of expression and service. It was certainly not intended to make anyone feel bad that they haven't got that kind of time or inclination. So if you feel none of this is for you...just mosey along now, okay?

[Smile]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Three or four years ago, we tried to organise a monthly social action project in All Saints. We did a few months, but it fizzled out. Some of the threads are still in Limbo - this is the first. Would that be a way forward to do this? A monthly social action project with the hours or projects being logged? Someone thought this was a good enough idea to put these threads in Limbo (there were more, but they've been moved on now)

I would be up for organising something along these lines if people are interested.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

I am NOT offering to do something similar I haven't the time but:

Here is the webpages from when the Ship walked around the World.

If someone one wants to run a similar page for the social activity please feel free to crib my basic solution (although if someone has web database skills they could make it a lot easier than that was to keep up).

Jengie

Posted by WhyNotSmile (# 14126) on :

I think the 'social action' idea is a good one. I also think there should be a rule, that if you do some form of social action in Erin's memory, then you have to make sure that at some point in the course of doing it, you use the phrase 'great googly moogly' in an offhand way in front of other people.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Social Action Thread in All Saints.

© Ship of Fools 2016