Thread: Here be Dinosaurs??? Board: Dead Horses / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000697

Posted by Clemency (# 16173) on :

Some wisdom please! A friend who is a Creationist (which I definitely am not) showed me a book comparing representations of dragons, from cultures all over the world, with modern reconstructions of dinosaurs - and some seemed awfully close to be just coincidence. Check out the saurians on Bishop Bell's 1421 brass in Carlisle Cathedral (plenty about them online) for instance. His take is that they were all created c 4000 BC and went to make Noah's Ark a Jurassic Park, then died out more recently (but maybe a few are still around...). I can't see that - but what is the explanation? Dreams that descend in our genes from the days when we were little furry things doing our best to avoid either being gobbled or trodden on? Medieval palaeontologists as skilled as those today? Ideas welcome....

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

I've heard it said that depictions of dragons are surprisingly consistent across cultures separated by great distances. Chinese dragons, for instance, aren't very different in appearance from those in western art - so some would claim that they derive from depictions of actual creatures ...

I've even heard a rather fundie Orthodox Christian (a convert) claim that because icons don't contain anything that isn't true, then dragons must have existed because St George is shown killing one.

[Roll Eyes]

I don't know whether I've got any wisdom to share on this one. Save to say to your Young Earth Creationist friend, 'Don't be daft ...'

I don't think I've ever seen any medieval depictions of dragons that show anything that looks like a brontosaurus.

Have you?

They all look like veloceraptors on speed.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

hosting/

I have an idea. Pursuant to the Board Guidelines, let's send this to Dead Horses. Now.

/hosting

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

Co-incidence?

Whoops ...

Just looked up the saurians on Bishop Bell's brass.

There are also Google images of what look like stegosaurs in medieval carving.

Goodness me. I repent. Come back YEC-ists. All is forgiven.

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

Here is something that purports to be a skeptics' debunking of the Bishops Bell claims. I'm not sure of all the science involved(eg. What exactly were the 3D artists reproducing, if they never even knew about the original artwork?)

The salient thing for a scientific illiterate like me is the comparison of the two photos.

[ 04. November 2016, 19:41: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posted by Jay-Emm (# 11411) on :

Practically the same problem occurs with the YEC, unless they actually were in just pre-columbus Scottish lowlands!
So you get lots of European/Middle East/North Africa contact.

Also a pictures I found seemed to come back to the one website (which I'm not trusting with my PC), so there's just a little bit that makes me wonder.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

Reconstructions of dinosaurs have a fair amount of artists' impression about them, and the representations of dragons were created by artists. Both were inspired by previous art but also by other known, natural creatures such as crocodiles and large birds of prey. A lot of art of St. George depicts something very crocodile-like. There's also some very horse-like features in dragon heads. Add in snakes and other reptiles and you've got enough motifs in the natural world that mean that imagined large lizards are going to end up not dissimilar to artists' impressions of real large lizards. The mistake is to thing that the common source material need be either dinosaurs or dragons.

[finishing the sentence]
So you get lots of European/Middle East/North Africa contact. Perhaps some Chinese/Indian Ocean/etc... but limited space for a lost world.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

Hmm. The reason the dinosaurs are called terrible lizards is because the paleontologists thought they looked like lizards.

eg. scroll down on this daft page: dragonish lizard

Or this more sensible one: Texas Horned Lizard

Or this one: Green Basilisk LIzard

Just do an image search on lizards - the page is crawling with dragons.

[ 04. November 2016, 19:56: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I expect that ancient peoples dug up and saw fossils on all continents where we find the fossils today. It's pretty easy to conjecture based on that. Though interestingly, in western Canada where there are many high quality skeleton fossils, there is no tradition parallel ideas such as the OP suggests. It would also be easy to consider that none of the Old World cultures developed their ideas independently. China was in contact with the Middle East in years B.C.

That'll do for me, Stetson. If apparently saurian creatures were depicted on Bishop Bell's memorial brass then we'd expect to see images of them in far more places than a Creationist website.

Looks highly suspicious to me.3

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

A bit tangential, but...

A few years back, I read a newspaper article about a study in which monkeys who had never seen reptiles before reacted with fear when shown photos of snakes. The conclusion drawn was that higher mammals, at least, are hardwired by natural-selection to dislike the mere appearance of reptiles.

If true(usual science-reporting caveats apply), that would mean our culturally antagonistic relationship with reptiles has some pretty deep roots. Though one can observe that dragons in the Far East are often seen as friendly.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

Arethosemyfeet is very patient in demonstrating the utter unnecessity of the spectacular failure of reason that equates dragons with a race memory of dinosaurs from when were rats.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

One word? Fossils.

Fossils as an explanation? - it took a long time to get to our current reconstructions of dinosaurs, as anyone who has seen the charming early Victorian versions in the Crystal Palace grounds will realise. Palaeontology just was not there in the 15th century - and most dinosaur remains come from the USA anyway. And there are plenty of images of Bishop Bell's saurians on line - I gather the Cathedral authorities are tired of YEC people coming to see them and have a heavy rug over the brass now. 4000 BC, medieval palaeontologists, race memory from when we were rats - no, we need something else, some out-of-the-box thinking...

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

I suppose if I had never seen an elephant, nor a picture of one, and someone told me to draw an elephant, and told me that they had heard from someone else that elephants had four legs like tree trunks and a tail and a long wavey thing at the front with a nose on the end of it (You mean a long neck and a smallish kind of head? Yeah, I suppose), then I might indeed come up with something that looked a bit like a brontosaurus.

Alternatively, it's Nessie.

It looks like pareidolia to me. We interpret the image through our culture-bound glasses.

And don't forget the spaceman carved on a buttress of Salamanca cathedral (or the dragon eating an ice-cream cone).

I'm struggling to find many online, (though Bishop Bell died in 1496, so the date seems a bit ropey, which doesn't help searching). (Though think now found 3 separate potential image lines*).

In any case though there's enough Saurian 'Dragon' pictures to be worthy of debate.

So I guess the first thing to do, is make sure the separate possibilities stay separate. Don't let them have the advantages of shifting century for each point. To have their cake and eat it, either or a mixture is fine.

Are they claiming sustainable dinosaur populations were in 15th C Britain, while so keep the consequences of that in mind. Similarly for any other modern civilizations.

If claiming a cultural meme (for want of a better word) from a (proposed) earlier time of overlap. Then it would need some transmission, and you'd expect to see proportionate traces, depending on how specific the details are (or if the description would be sufficiently vague to overlap with a bad description of a giraffe or crocodile, then we can't tell which it's meant to be, and it's easy to imagine hearing about those).

If blending the two, you have the problems as well as the advantages.

If claiming divine inspiration, then what for?
If not shown on the ark or being hunted by suitable dressed people, then it's not showing anything with regards to dates. It's no more or less a miracle to show something from 5000 years as 65 million, but then again that doesn't have much purpose.

*one did have some of other pictures (including one identified as an Aardvark), and some others as more british animals (which don't really resemble them either)
hoping neither of the 2 I tested have done anything bad to PC.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Clemency:
Fossils as an explanation? - it took a long time to get to our current reconstructions of dinosaurs, as anyone who has seen the charming early Victorian versions in the Crystal Palace grounds will realise. Palaeontology just was not there in the 15th century - and most dinosaur remains come from the USA anyway. And there are plenty of images of Bishop Bell's saurians on line - I gather the Cathedral authorities are tired of YEC people coming to see them and have a heavy rug over the brass now. 4000 BC, medieval palaeontologists, race memory from when we were rats - no, we need something else, some out-of-the-box thinking...

No, we merely need thinking. There are fossils on every continent including Antarctica. (Though, strangely, no dragon legends from there! [Paranoid] )
There are plenty of pics on line, but far fewer sources of those same images. In other words, multiple copies of the same manipulated image on multiple crackpot sites does not constitute a preponderance of evidence.
Our modern representations of saurians are more accurate, but it is not as if humans thought they looked like orangutans prior.
And, as mentioned, early descriptions of living animals ended with some pretty fantastical representations.
If dinosaurs coexisted with humans, we'd have many representations and they'd not be so sketchy.

Posted by Soror Magna (# 9881) on :

<tangent for your amusement>

How Raven Accidentally Wiped Out The Dinosaurs

</tangent>

I love medieval art. One of the most charming examples I've seen is the depiction on a fresco in the basilica on the Venetian island of Torcello which shows beasts at the Last Judgement vomiting up the bodies of people they'd devoured.

Alongside lions, wolves, bears and leopards are elephants and camels - which the artist clearly believed to be carnivorous.

Ok, that's got nothing to do with apparent saurians on Bishop Bell's tomb, but if there are brontosauruses there - why don't they appear anywhere else in medieval art? Much of which is standardised around particular motifs.

quote:
- no, we need something else, some out-of-the-box thinking...

So, I am seriously curious as to what the out-of-the-box thinking is here.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Come on, if there were dinosaurs battling each other openly during the Middle Ages, don't you think we'd have more evidence of it than one brass engraving? Hunting trophies, illuminations, tapestries, recent, not fossilized bones... something?

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I think I'm starting to get the point of this thread. Do you mean there really are people who think there were brontosauri et al wandering around in the middle ages?

Because that would be way cool if it were true. [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] What an awesome idea. Pity it's not.

I did look up the Bishop stuff, but got conflicting sites. Are there really brontosaurus-shaped thingies on the brass, does anyone here know? Because it wouldn't prove a thing except that someone had an awesome imagination and a gift for coincidence, but it would still make me happy all week. Like the carnivorous camels.

[ 06. November 2016, 00:03: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Come on, if there were dinosaurs battling each other openly during the Middle Ages, don't you think we'd have more evidence of it than one brass engraving? Hunting trophies, illuminations, tapestries, recent, not fossilized bones... something?

Part of YEC is that fossils can be formed much quicker than your Godless atheist "science" maintains.

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:

Alternatively, it's Nessie.

If you look up the Lambton Wyrm you'll find there are various stories of dragon-like creatures in the Scottish borders in the Middle Ages.

quote:
John Lambton does not catch anything until the church service finishes, at which point he fishes out a small eel- or lamprey-like creature with nine holes on each side of its salamander-like head. Depending on the version of the story, the worm is no bigger than a thumb, or about 3 feet long. In some renditions it has legs, while in others it is said to more closely resemble a snake.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Yeah, but ...

The Lambton Worm grew into a humungous beast - big enough to mark the local landscape. The hill topped by the Penshaw Monument isn't small. It's the biggest hill in the neighbourhood.

I wouldn't describe Sunderland and Washington as on the Scottish borders. There's Newcastle and all of Northumberland between there and the Scottish border country.

Sorry I got Bishop Bell date wrong, it is 1496. I don't think one can doubt the saurian APPEARANCE of his beasties but I don't think any dinosaur fossils have ever come from the Carlisle area, the Triassic beds are all barren desert sandstones (nor are aardvarks common around Carlisle, at least when I passed through last week I did not notice any). The images most likely came from a circulating bestiary which could have drawn inspiration from anywhere in Europe.
Throwing another one into the mix, some YEC folk point to the Beowulf saga as having dinosaurs in it - Grendel, the first beast the hero kills, is a 'mouthslayer', walks on his hind legs, and is slain by having one of his small front legs ripped off.... so they say. Any Beowulf experts out there???.
I have no answers on this, am just intrigued

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Though interestingly, in western Canada where there are many high quality skeleton fossils, there is no tradition parallel ideas such as the OP suggests.

Although if you go west far enough, you get Ogopogo.

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Here is something that purports to be a skeptics' debunking of the Bishops Bell claims. I'm not sure of all the science involved(eg. What exactly were the 3D artists reproducing, if they never even knew about the original artwork?)

The salient thing for a scientific illiterate like me is the comparison of the two photos.

The skeptic sites I found on this were most unsatisfying. Not terribly well written, no footnotes or references, and rather snide in tone. No school child would be allowed to use them as a reference for anything. Raw, unsubstantiated claims. Very disappointing. Come on, evolution fans. We can do better than this.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
Throwing another one into the mix, some YEC folk point to the Beowulf saga as having dinosaurs in it - Grendel, the first beast the hero kills, is a 'mouthslayer', walks on his hind legs, and is slain by having one of his small front legs ripped off.... so they say. Any Beowulf experts out there???.

Grendel (and his mother) are according to the poem descended from Cain. They're trolls or giants. They walk on two legs because they're humanoid. They don't have front legs, they have arms, and Grendel's arm is not small.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Come on, evolution fans. We can do better than this.

Eh, it is such a joke that it doesn't require any effort. The foolish that believe it will not be convinced in the face of any evidence.

Items made of leather have survived from earlier than Bishop Bell. Grendel's arm was nailed up as a trophy. Would it not be likely that, if there were enough dinosaurs around in the Middle Ages for a reproducing group, somewhere there would be a skin preserved as a trophy in a fit state for examination and DNA analysis? Now I'll grant you that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but complete absence of any physical evidence at all, anywhere, is a bit of clue that there was no source for it. If there were, the YEC's would have found it by now.

OK, in as non-derisive a tone as I can manage, there will be YEC's who think that humans and dinos coexisted but died out before the middle ages.
There is still a MASSIVE evidence problem, but one that conveniently skirts a the lack of it in written history.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

Eh, it is such a joke that it doesn't require any effort. The foolish that believe it will not be convinced in the face of any evidence.
There are some who fall in the middle of your black and white binary.

quote:
quote:
quote:

There are some who fall in the middle of your black and white binary.
I'm not sure what binary you are referring to.
That YEC is foolish? Please explain how it isn't or might only partially be.
Or do you mean this particular image?

The evolution/ anti-evolution thing (which is what i was trying to steer clear of) is a war zone ,and in war zones you lose the truth pretty quickly on both sides. I am convinced there is good evidence for time, a lot of time, more than the 6000 years the YECs allow us -but I cannot help having a sneaking suspicion that generally-accepted evolutionary and geological history may have some major errors in it, and that some of the YEC arguments may have some validity (even if they do not quite point to their conclusions), if only people could quietly and dispassionately consider them. But as I said, it'#s a war zone....

xpost -- this is to LB

People who find this an obvious joke, and people who will not be convinced in the face of any evidence.

[ 06. November 2016, 21:51: Message edited by: mousethief ]

quote:
The evolution/ anti-evolution thing (which is what i was trying to steer clear of) is a war zone ,and in war zones you lose the truth pretty quickly on both sides.

It is only a "war zone" because some people feel science is a threat to their belief system. It doesn't need to be.
And this equal sides mentality is rubbish. Both sides of an issue do not always have parity. Indeed, all the reality can be on one side.

quote:

I am convinced there is good evidence for time, a lot of time, more than the 6000 years the YECs allow us -but I cannot help having a sneaking suspicion that generally-accepted evolutionary and geological history may have some major errors in it, and that some of the YEC arguments may have some validity (even if they do not quite point to their conclusions), if only people could quietly and dispassionately consider them. But as I said, it'#s a war zone....

Lay it on me; what evidence or even speculation is there to suggest YEC have any valid points?

quote:
xpost -- this is to LB

People who find this an obvious joke, and people who will not be convinced in the face of any evidence.

I do not see any difference between considering the image is legitimate and being convinced it is. Either represents an patently ridiculous view of the world.
I do not ridicule the belief that God created the universe even though I do not accept it myself. I do ridicule the idea that s/he did it in 6 days and only 6K years ago.

Okay this isn't working so maybe if I just say this, it will help clear up wtf I'm talking about:

There are people for whom a clear, well-argued refutation of this brass thing would be helpful and well-received. People who can still be reached by reasoning and facts. Maybe not many. But they exist. And for that reason I was disappointed that there were no serious articles to be found that laid out a rational, defensible case against the Bishop Bell saurids.

You seem to think there's no point in doing so -- people who don't immediately see that it's a hoax are not going to be convinced by any amount of evidence. You have painted the world black and white -- there are two kinds of people in your estimation: those who see it's a joke, and those who can never be brought to see it's a joke.

I am claiming there are people who are in neither of these camps, and for their sake the oh-so-wise evolutionaries might stoop to creating something that can be used to show these grey types what's really going on.

Maybe not. In treating these things as anything other than ridiculous, it lends an air of credibility. Look at climate change, Brexit and Trump.

Trump is as serious as a heart attack. And the fact that the polls waver back and forth show it's not two convinced camps whose opinions are set in stone. The facts reject your analysis.

Trump was lent credibility by people paying him attention. If the media had ignored him, he would likely have fared less well or been forced to actually say something substantive instead of spewing hate and ridiculousness.
Enough of that tangent here.*

Regarding the bishop's dinosaur and other "evidence": by continuing a dialogue with creationists, one lends them credibility. The science to refute such things exits, nothing further need be said.

*Not Junior hosting, just not personally going to continue.

[ 07. November 2016, 00:07: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Okay, well, I understand that. I suppose my question* then, given what I discovered while trying to find debunkings of the aforementioned brass saurids, is this:

Why do evolutionists who do attempt to debunk creationist nonsense do such a fucking crappy job of it?

quote:
Okay, well, I understand that. I suppose my question* then, given what I discovered while trying to find debunkings of the aforementioned brass saurids, is this:

Why do evolutionists who do attempt to debunk creationist nonsense do such a fucking crappy job of it?

But do they? The evidence for evolution is pretty solid. The evidence for a 6K earth isn't. As I understand it, YEC wasn't even a big thing until the early 20th C.
Bishop Bell's dinosaur image seems to appear almost exclusively on YEC pages, doesn't even get a reference on Wikipedia's page on the bishop.
Why should anyone be expected to refute something that they are not aware of?

quote:
The evidence for evolution is pretty solid. The evidence for a 6K earth isn't. As I understand it, YEC wasn't even a big thing until the early 20th C.

All irrelevant to the question I asked.

quote:
Bishop Bell's dinosaur image seems to appear almost exclusively on YEC pages, doesn't even get a reference on Wikipedia's page on the bishop.
Why should anyone be expected to refute something that they are not aware of?

Did you read what I wrote? I'm not talking about people who aren't aware of it. I'm talking about people who ARE aware of it, and are intentionally setting out to disprove it. And they do a phenomenally bad job.

quote:
Did you read what I wrote? I'm not talking about people who aren't aware of it. I'm talking about people who ARE aware of it, and are intentionally setting out to disprove it. And they do a phenomenally bad job.
Yes I read what you wrote. I don't know what to tell you, I don't expect random people on the internet to be authoritative or competent.

My view on this is that science itself is great, but there is such a thing as bad science and bad vulgarisation of science. These things persist because they benefit from the reflected legitimacy of the scientific method, but they are often not up to par.

See for instance this Economist article on why "poor scientific methods may be hereditary".

I'm not a YEC and I don't think dinosaurs walked in Cumbria in the Middle Ages, but I think many people's faith in the reliability of the scientific community (as opposed to science) is, if not misplaced, rather more uncritical than science itself would allow.

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I'm not a YEC and I don't think dinosaurs walked in Cumbria in the Middle Ages, but I think many people's faith in the reliability of the scientific community (as opposed to science) is, if not misplaced, rather more uncritical than science itself would allow.

I'm not entirely clear what you are meaning here: a lot of palaeontology was developed long before the era of statistics etc.

Things would have to be thoroughly screwy for the truth to be that humans co-existed with large dinosaurs. Nothing to do with problems in scientific studies conducted in the last 30 years which turn out to not be replicible, everything to do with that there is zero evidence for that. And all the evidence and theory built upon it would have to be wrong by several orders of magnitude for it to even be close.

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
a lot of palaeontology was developed long before the era of statistics etc.

Statistics as we know it has its origins in the late 17th century.

quote:
I'm not entirely clear what you are meaning here: a lot of palaeontology was developed long before the era of statistics etc.

I was referring to the exchange between mousethief and lilbuddha about the very shoddy challenge to the creationist argument on a site linked to in one of the earlier posts.

Creationism seems to be almost exclusively bad science, but neither side has the monopoly on it. Sometimes (as on that website) people seem to put their belief in evolution before any scientific rigour on their part.

And as the Economist article I linked to points out, there are subtler forms of bad science, such as the selection criteria for publication in peer-reviewed journals, which are demonstrably skewed in favour of articles from generally successful research units rather than in favour of scientific merit alone.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

quote:
by continuing a dialogue with creationists, one lends them credibility. The science to refute such things exits, nothing further need be said.

Is that how it works, though? If I am pontificating on a thread, and you raise objections that seem to you reasonable, and I just ignore you, does that make me seem in your eyes a credible poster?

As far as the general public is concerned, the debate on evolution is about trust more than evidence. Very few of us are actually in the position to watch Galápagos tortoises or mutate strands of DNA, but we take it on trust that scientists have correctly observed and interpreted these phenomena.

Where evidence does come into play, its purpose is to confirm that scientists know what they are talking about, rather than to prove evolution from first principles. Creationists are people who have lost, or never had, that trust. Which tends to suggest, among other things, that the way scientists present evidence does not lend them credibility.

OK I will come clean and say I used to be a YEC (I'm not any more). So an example of what I'm talking about. We were taught in school that radioactive dating works like this: in a rock there is a radioactive isotope A which over time decays into the non-radioactive element B. Since the rate of decay is known, we can calculate the age of the rock from the ratio of A to B currently present.

The creationist argument is that since we can't know the ratio of A to B at the start, or that any A or B hasn't leaked out of the rock over the course of time, the method isn't reliable. One obvious riposte is that it isn't enough to show it's unreliable, creationists need to show that it makes rocks seem far older than they are. But the purpose of the creationist argument here isn't so much to prove the 'real' age of the rocks but to imply scientists don't know what they're talking about.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

A large part of the issue comes down to how we teach science. Your radioactive dating example is a case in point. Because if the way you understood the method was open to the YEC criticism then something was not taught properly. For example, the teacher failed to communicate that the first thing that is done is select mineral grains where there is a high expectation that the initial ratio of A to B is known, and that there has been no leakage of A or B out of (or into) the grain. Basically, to say that scientists aren't stupid and know that these processes would invalidate a date and therefore put considerable effort into avoiding the problems these present. But, how to teach that when you have several different dating methods, each with their own particular quality control approaches depending on the elements concerned, and the curriculum allows you a single lesson to cover it? You can't expect every student to sit a university level geophysics course that takes several lectures to cover the basics of the methods, and in many cases students don't get into the depths of the methods until post-graduate level.

The important thing as far as I'm concerned is that those who believe in YEC are so committed that they're not above all kinds of tactics to get their point across - lying, cheating, making stuff up, misrepresentation etc.

Many seem to also believe that if they can throw enough mud at a scientific idea then they'll destabilise it to the extent that people will feel that they've no alternative but to accept the YEC paradigm.

Which of course is pretty silly when you stop and think about it. Take the fossil record - yes, it is very fragmented and yes a lot of discoveries were made in the 19 century and yes there was some scientific fraud and wishful thinking at various times. As with almost any scientific discipline, if you look hard enough you'll find problems where the general accepted narrative doesn't seem to properly explain things.

But it is a massive leap of faith to use uncertainly, misunderstanding and sometimes downright lies put across by the YEC enthusiasts to say that therefore the general model of the age of the earth and fossil record is wrong.

As I've said before, you don't actually have to believe that radiometric dating is reliable or that the museum displays of the fossil record is reliable or even that uniformitarianism is a reliable guide to believe that the world is old. You simply have to observe for yourself the large sedimentary deposits and ask how that could have possibly happened in a short time period.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
A large part of the issue comes down to how we teach science. Your radioactive dating example is a case in point. Because if the way you understood the method was open to the YEC criticism then something was not taught properly. For example, the teacher failed to communicate that the first thing that is done is select mineral grains where there is a high expectation that the initial ratio of A to B is known, and that there has been no leakage of A or B out of (or into) the grain. Basically, to say that scientists aren't stupid and know that these processes would invalidate a date and therefore put considerable effort into avoiding the problems these present. But, how to teach that when you have several different dating methods, each with their own particular quality control approaches depending on the elements concerned, and the curriculum allows you a single lesson to cover it? You can't expect every student to sit a university level geophysics course that takes several lectures to cover the basics of the methods, and in many cases students don't get into the depths of the methods until post-graduate level.

Whilst this is possibly true, I think it mis-states to some degree the nature of YEC discussion. If radiometric dating was better accepted if not actually understood, they'd most likely spend time attacking something else.

Nobody attempts to argue that the bible is authoritative in terms of arithmetic, first aid or accountancy practice. Nobody says "ah, but Leviticus says x and Standard Accounting Practice says y therefore SAP is wrong" because no truck is given by accountants to that idea even though nobody really learns about SAP in high school.

These kinds of quote unquote "secular" activities are not generally taught to the masses and yet remain unmolested by YEC - even though, presumably, it would be as simple to throw mud as aspects of them as in geology.

[ 08. November 2016, 07:34: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
A large part of the issue comes down to how we teach science. Your radioactive dating example is a case in point. Because if the way you understood the method was open to the YEC criticism then something was not taught properly. For example, the teacher failed to communicate that the first thing that is done is select mineral grains where there is a high expectation that the initial ratio of A to B is known, and that there has been no leakage of A or B out of (or into) the grain.

Well, the obvious next step is to ask how the initial ratio could be known given that it is something that happened thousands of years ago. [Razz]

Basically it comes down to trust. I do trust scientists to have thought about these things. But if for some reason trust is withheld, then dismissing YECcies as loonies isn't going to help establish it.

quote:
You simply have to observe for yourself the large sedimentary deposits and ask how that could have possibly happened in a short time period.

And then the creationist will point you to one of those fossils that cross several geological strata, and ask how that's possible.

(It is possible but it's not as simple as pointing to a rock and saying 'Explain that!')

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
And then the creationist will point you to one of those fossils that cross several geological strata, and ask how that's possible.

(It is possible but it's not as simple as pointing to a rock and saying 'Explain that!')

Thanks, that's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

A reasonable person without any great attachment to ideas about the age of the earth can look at all the sediment and think to himself "hmm, that's old". Later he might notice some interesting aspects of the fossils and think that maybe he needs to study and think a bit harder about this. The discovery that fossils go across strata isn't a game changer to the person who honestly looks at sediment and figures out for himself that this is evidence of an old earth.

In fact plenty of people have discovered for themselves things about sedimentary rock strata and figured out, independently, that the world was old long before anyone ever thought of dating techniques. William Strata Smith, the great canal surveyor, looked longer and harder at British rocks than anyone else during his life or afterwards and came up with inarguable conclusions that anyone else can test for themselves.

In contrast, YEC very rarely bother looking at actual rocks or deposits, because they've got all they need to know in a couple of books. For them, fossils across strata is not an interesting wrinkle and complexity, but an obvious error in the basis of the science.

No, you can't just point at a rock, but if you have a mind which is prepared to be informed by the evidence in front of you rather than your preconceptions of what it must mean, then you've got no alternative but to believe in an old earth when faced with kilometers of sedimentary rock strata.

There is a reason why there are no YEC field geologists and why an untrained yokel farmer's boy could single-handedly create a new science when digging canals.

The history of creationism includes that fossils were taken as evidence of Noah's flood. Not that they were old.

There were 2 main camps: Castrophism which held that cataclysmic events had engulfed the earth like The Flood, and Uniformitarianism which held that processes were slow, progressive and incremental.

There were other theories closer to what we think todat, such as Leonardo da Vinci's. Though modern theories of catastrophism are also true, e.g., Harlen Bretz's.

Which seems to partly satisfy a Hegelian or Marxist dialectic. Have we yet to come to a synthesis? The science answer wants to have it that it is the conclusion; but it isn't is it given that both harbour truth.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
The history of creationism includes that fossils were taken as evidence of Noah's flood. Not that they were old.

There were 2 main camps: Castrophism which held that cataclysmic events had engulfed the earth like The Flood, and Uniformitarianism which held that processes were slow, progressive and incremental.

There were other theories closer to what we think todat, such as Leonardo da Vinci's. Though modern theories of catastrophism are also true, e.g., Harlen Bretz's.

Which seems to partly satisfy a Hegelian or Marxist dialectic. Have we yet to come to a synthesis? The science answer wants to have it that it is the conclusion; but it isn't is it given that both harbour truth.

Nothing to do with saying rocks are old. As I said above, when the rocks were examined in detail, the determination was made that the world was old based on the evidence.

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
by continuing a dialogue with creationists, one lends them credibility. The science to refute such things exits, nothing further need be said.

Is that how it works, though? If I am pontificating on a thread, and you raise objections that seem to you reasonable, and I just ignore you, does that make me seem in your eyes a credible poster?
I did not say ignore. But the framework needs to change as the two sides of this are not equal.
quote:

As far as the general public is concerned, the debate on evolution is about trust more than evidence. Very few of us are actually in the position to watch Galápagos tortoises or mutate strands of DNA, but we take it on trust that scientists have correctly observed and interpreted these phenomena.

Except that to speculate otherwise requires a conspiracy, a motive to deceive. This just isn't how science works.
quote:

Creationists are people who have lost, or never had, that trust.

They have trust without any merit. They are asked to believe a "theory" developed to combat a perceived threat. One that has no evidence and relies on a relatively new way to read the bible.
quote:

OK I will come clean and say I used to be a YEC (I'm not any more). So an example of what I'm talking about.

Good for you. I am curious as to what allowed this to happen. Most YEC I meet are very resistant to change or are of the very brittle "It's all true or none of it is" variety.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

We trust all the time in things we cannot see. I have never seen Sicily, have you? Is it really there? Perhaps it's just a conspiracy.

One can look at images of Sicily, read multiple sources on Sicily, even take a virtual drive around the island.

Liars, all of them. Look how they faked the moon landing.

And the Mars landing.

quote:
One can look at images of Sicily, read multiple sources on Sicily, even take a virtual drive around the island.

Boy have the Sicilofakes got you hoodwinked.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

The problem with YEC is that people insist on arguing against it as if it was science. It's not. It's purely and entirely religious. It's a lie dreamed up by those who cannot accept that the Bible isn't 100% literally true. It's what you get when people obstinately cling to their religious beliefs rather than accepting the evidence of the world around them and reinterpreting their beliefs accordingly.

So true. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

There is a piece of discussion from a medieval Islamic scholar* who describes the occurrence of marine fossils on land, as also observed by Greek and Roman philosophers. He then goes on to postulate that once the land was elevated above the sea, it was eroded and the spoil washed down to be deposited again. And then proceeds to describe how this process would be repeated, several times.

This passage was in an anthology of historical scientific text I came across in the Radcliffe Library, and I do have notes somewhere undiscoverable at short notice of the author's name, because I want to read more, but he was certainly a very early geologist aware of Earth being old.

Also, I have come across a report of a field excursion by a bunch of YEC's to Hutton's Unconformity at Siccar Point in Scotland, where they wanted to find evidence that there was very little time in between the older and the newer rocks. The first site I found this on had failed to find any evidence of whatever they thought would show a young Earth interpretation. But they've been back. Why Siccar Point is not evidence for an old Earth Beware - there is audio - which I have not listened to.
This does explain why the structure of the rocks had to have been laid down in the flood (umpteen layers of greywackes, for example) in what appears to be geological language.

Such people have also visited the English Lakes:
Creation geologists? See the passage "Flood, Fire and Ice in the Lake District". They don't explain how it was shown that it was all laid down in a Noachian flood. Or how there's a flipping thrust fault with an associated mylonite pushed through it all in a millenial time period. (Geophys'd by me!)

So, while one can claim there aren't any creationist geologists (I met one on OU Summer School Science 101, Lord help us, tutoring), there are people going through the motions.

For those not familiar with the terms, a greywacke is now known to be formed by deposition around a continential shelf by successive turbidity currents, which are like waterborne avalanches of unconsolidated rock bits. The larger bits settle out first, the finer stuff takes a long time, which can be estimated in the laboratory. Obviously, there will be time between successive flows as the mass of debris builds up to instability again. As oceans rise and fall, sometimes the greywacke is overlain by ocean floor fine sediments which form shales. It is possible to work out ages from measuring the thickness of the deposits - and in the article, the thickness is implied by reference to the expression of the alternating types across the countryside.

What has not been mentioned in the piece is that the greywacke has become cemented, so that the particles stick together and the deposit becomes rock. Again this is not spelled out, but implied in the article, which describes how the cemented greywacke forms positive features in the landscape, while the shales are differentially eroded. The cementation takes time. If rock formation in both the greywackes and the shales had not taken place, the continuingly turbulent Noachian flood would have washed the whole lot away, instead of merely eroding the top of the deeply folded rocks to a horizontal surface. It's worth pointing out that many of us can see such surfaces at the foot of cliffs, and they do not have soil on them, for obvious reasons.

Whether these people are telling lies about the site, or simply failing to see what has been seen by many others, I wouldn't judge, but they are getting things wrong, despite citing geological ideas to bolster their errors.

I had hoped that this thread would concentrate on dinosaurs and dragons, rather than head into the usual YEC territory, but since we are there I will flag up that my usual approach is to try and make friends, then invite them out for a field trip with me (I live in an area of the UK where there is plenty of good visible geology in the landscape) but, sadly, no one ever takes up my invitation to come and see an unconformity, they are 'too busy' or just do not reply. One useful rock type in the N Pennines is the brockram (especially around Kirkby Stephen) which is a breccia - a fossil scree - of limestone fragments (some with fossils) in a desert sandstone matrix, so the fossils were clearly fossils before the limestone broke down and were incorporated, which means a lot of time was involved. If you, like me, can get quite excited by rocks, it is quite an exciting one. There is an ex Primitive Methodist Chapel in the middle of Kirkby Stephen built of it. There is so much limestone in it that caves form in it, which are another delight. A good place to take any YEC speleologist friends.

Have you read A Flight of Dragons by Peter Dickinson? Fictional nonfiction, about how dragons fly.

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
That'll do for me, Stetson. If apparently saurian creatures were depicted on Bishop Bell's memorial brass then we'd expect to see images of them in far more places than a Creationist website.

There are ONLY creationist links no matter what one Googles. Even the Straight Dope links don't work ... Until we can get verified links to the Bell brass, APART from the main brass, I can't judge. If they're in the main brass, where? In the margin? No sign at all. Of any animal engravings.

[code]

[ 09. November 2016, 23:07: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Clemency, I must come and have a look some time. Round here I've got the Chalk - but they have 'explanations' for the successive layers of stuff laid down in a clear clean sea, with successive hardgrounds inhabited by successive populations of bottom burrowing creatures. Also the polished greywacke pillars outside Marks and Spencer in Bluewater.
I was on a school trip to Barry in South Wales, and we went for a walk round the island, where I came upon an unconformity I had not known about, and amused the children greatly by jumping around on it and shouting how important it was! I hope some of them have remembered!

YEC - at least in the context of geology, but I'm sure also in other contexts - is not only not-a-science*, it isn't even a very good explanation for observed phenomena.

OK yes, it is possible to make the evidence fit the mantra (with suffient lies, omissions and mangling) but that's no big deal. I could probably come up with a load of reasons and explanations as to why the British geology proves that the world was created a week last Tuesday. Having an explanation does not mean it is a reasoned or reasonable explanation of course. The simple statement that the world is old is a reasonable inference from the evidence of the British geology and doesn't require any form of special pleading.

I'd wager that nobody ever has looked at British geology closely and concluded to themselves that the world is 4,000 years old. Such positions were held before the environment was closely studied, as the numbers of observations increased the estimates of the age of the earth increased.

Notwithstanding OU tutors, I've never seen anyone pontificating about "Creation Science" who had any kind of qualification in geology, and I've never heard of anyone who has more than a passing interest in practical field-based earth science who is YEC.

*in the common modern sense of the word rather than in the traditional sense whereby any systematic type of thought is considered a science

The OU tutor stuck to the text - which didn't, at that level, require any adherence to a postulation about age. It was a mixed science summer school, so there was time for lab work involving sieving a sediment. I think we went out somewhere, but can't remember what we looked at.
One of the students was a YEC, and she told me that it was OK to answer the questions to get the marks, even if she didn't believe the answers sge gave - which is where my respect for her went down to below the Paleozoic basement.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

One of the students was a YEC, and she told me that it was OK to answer the questions to get the marks, even if she didn't believe the answers sge gave - which is where my respect for her went down to below the Paleozoic basement.

As a YEC youth, I answered a question in my GCSE (I think) about evolution, crossed it out and asked the examiner not to mark it.

I was an odd combination of a YEC, someone who believed in facing up to the consequences of my actions, and an insufferable 16 year old arse.

There's an increasing tendency to treat the purpose of education as learning what to write on an exam paper to get a good grade. That's not unique to YECcies.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

The whole premise of this thread seems to be based on a fundamental error, that scientists believe nothing resembling a dinosaur survived into historical times and so anything showing a dinosaur-like beast proves scientists wrong.

But scientists don't believe any such thing. On the contrary, they point to certain creatures as living relatives of dinosaurs. The statement that dinosaurs are extinct is not equivalent to the statement that everything resembling a dinosaur is extinct.

[ 10. November 2016, 11:53: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Nile Monitor for example.

FWIW, given the choice of explanations of 1. Everything we thought we knew is wrong and there were dinosaurs in the mediaeval period, or 2. someone either had a lucky coincidence or used a garbled account of a living reptile they'd never actually seen, I'd plump with 2. Yes, it does seem rather unlikely, but that's the Prosecutors' Fallacy for you - "2. is unlikely so it must be 1., even though 1. is even more vanishingly unlikely than 2.."

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The whole premise of this thread seems to be based on a fundamental error, that scientists believe nothing resembling a dinosaur survived into historical times and so anything showing a dinosaur-like beast proves scientists wrong.

Please point to me any living reptile that could be mistaken for a cartoon diplodocus.

Because whilst it is true that organisms survive which are related to dinosaurs, it is hard to argue that anything has survived which looks like this (even when short-sighted or imagining things).

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

There are ONLY creationist links no matter what one Googles. Even the Straight Dope links don't work ... Until we can get verified links to the Bell brass, APART from the main brass, I can't judge. If they're in the main brass, where? In the margin? No sign at all. Of any animal engravings.

[code]

This site Image of print shows the brass without any comment. The wee beasties are in the very narrow border, and design must have been constrained by the space available. How anyone spotted the things, I don't know.

Given where they are, I wouldn't like to separate them from Scandinavian and Irish gripping beasts as usually seen in twined knotted carvings - which I will look for. OTOH, perhaps those would also be taken for evidence of dinosaurs.

Could be half way up on the left, although resolution isn't good enough to see clearly.

Anyway, if this was made in the late 18 century, fossils were known then in Northern England.

Why couldn't the images be imaginative extrapolations of fossils such as this one?

edit: answering my own question, that's a painting based on an earlier brass.

But still, the images on the painting could have been exaggerations based on recent fossil finds.

[ 10. November 2016, 14:29: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

quote:

This site Image of print shows the brass without any comment. The wee beasties are in the very narrow border, and design must have been constrained by the space available. How anyone spotted the things, I don't know.

The thing is a painting (watercolor, apparently) which may explain why I can't see the beasties clearly even when I blow it up.

Can I ask a doofus question? Can anyone here say of their own knowledge or from reliably non-doctored photos that the brass beasties exist?

Not for any YECist reasons, but because it would be way cool if someone did in fact make them.
[Cool] But right now I'm still not sure whether they exist as described. (Hope so.)

[ 10. November 2016, 14:31: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

OK, let's say that they do exist and that they do have the animals as described.

What does that tell us? Have the brasses been undisturbed for centuries without any possibility of improvement or restoration?

Looking in the Aberdeen bestiary, images not dissimilar to the Bell beasts can be found, and thought came to me about scale - mustelids have long thinnish necks and long thick tails, relatively speaking. I think the tiny drawing may have had the YECs stoatally confused since it wasn't as weaselly distinguished as a larger image would have been.

Bestiary - worth a hunt through just for fun.

[ 10. November 2016, 14:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

It looks like this is the actual state of the brass today. Seems like rather a lot of interpretation is needed to see beasties.

Too bad there are no real animals that looked like dragons or long-necked dinosaurs.
Or just plain weird.

Ye, orfeo, I know, but my post has pictures.

I recommend the newt in the bestiary.

And a couple of those lizards, I posted pages back.

That modern photo of the brass makes it even harder to understand how anyone spotted the beast.

You know, of course that the dinosaurs, and giant sloths, were about in Victorian times? Sarf Lun'on

And their kin lie buried under Central Park, NY. (Well, apart from the ones who voted.)

[ 10. November 2016, 14:47: Message edited by: Penny S ]

quote:
Anyway, if this was made in the late 18 century, fossils were known then in Northern England.

Why couldn't the images be imaginative extrapolations of fossils such as this one?

edit: answering my own question, that's a painting based on an earlier brass.

But still, the images on the painting could have been exaggerations based on recent fossil finds.

I disagree. There are no scientific attempts at dinosaur drawings before the mid C19th.

quote:
I disagree. There are no scientific attempts at dinosaur drawings before the mid C19th.

The caption says:

quote:
Fossil animal. 18th-century journal page illustrating a large animal fossil as it appeared in the surrounding alum rock near Whitby, England, in January 1758. The fossil was incomplete, but was estimated to have been of a marine reptile around 4 metres in length. When first exposed by erosion ten years earlier, there had been fins present and more vertebrae. The report, by a Mr Wooller, was read out by Charles Morton. This page is from volume 50 (1757-8) of the journal 'Philosophical Transactions', published by the Royal Society of London.
Hence your statement is flat-out wrong.

Besides which, there's no reason to suppose that there might not have been unscientific attempts to reconstruct fossils before that. Just because they weren't published in peer reviewed journals does not mean that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

People thought that ammonite fossils were coiled snakes turned into stone by a saintly miracle at one time, so it is said. Possibly by people wanting to sell them as souvenirs.

See 'Legends' down page at Whitby snake stones

quote:
It looks like this is the actual state of the brass today. Seems like rather a lot of interpretation is needed to see beasties.

The sites linked to earlier said that the unclear images had been given to artists to draw what they thought they were, without any information on where the blurred images had come from. Which basically ends up as a variation on seeing shapes in clouds, the final drawing being an artefact of the artists imagination. Given the prevalence of dinosaur images in modern society, maybe it shouldn't surprise us that at least one of those artists imagined dinosaurs in the almost impossible to see lines. Maybe he'd been watching Jurassic Park the night before, or has dinosaur mad children constantly drawing dinosaurs and he saw one pinned to the fridge when he got his breakfast that morning (I see a painting of a brontosaurus every morning on my fridge).

quote:
quote:

The caption says:

quote:
Fossil animal. 18th-century journal page illustrating a large animal fossil as it appeared in the surrounding alum rock near Whitby, England, in January 1758. The fossil was incomplete, but was estimated to have been of a marine reptile around 4 metres in length. When first exposed by erosion ten years earlier, there had been fins present and more vertebrae. The report, by a Mr Wooller, was read out by Charles Morton. This page is from volume 50 (1757-8) of the journal 'Philosophical Transactions', published by the Royal Society of London.
Hence your statement is flat-out wrong.

Very nice scientific drawing. Nothing like a classic dinosaur.

quote:

If you mean something other than what you type then maybe the problem is with you not me.

This particular example was nothing like a cartoon diplodocus, but it is clear that there are actually scientific attempts at dinosaur drawings before the 19th century.

But, your example is drawing of a fossil. A common practice for naturalists of the time - indeed an ability to accurately reproduce what they observed (whether living animals, fossils, rock formations or whatever) was one of the most important skills for a naturalist at the time. It wasn't as though they had a camera conveniently available.

That's quite a lot different from an attempt to depict the creature that was fossilised - how it would stand, how skin and muscle would appear etc. Very common come the 19th century as museums put fossils on display, with bones arranged as the scientist thought they should be (not always how modern scientists would arrange them) and built models.

There were a range of things colliding at the end of the 18 century which fed into the museums and explosion of palaentology and fossil collecting in the 19 century.

People were trying to play around with drawing fossils and trying to get a handle on what they might look like. Meanwhile there had been a tradition of not-particularly-accurate diagrams of sea "monsters" and even land monsters such as rhinos.

It isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that this drawing had inaccurate depictions of sea animals, attempts at drawings of fossil animals, fanciful drawings etc. If it was any of those, it still isn't evidence that the original brass had a similar picture, and even if it did is not evidence that the animal actually existed and was actually a diplodocus.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
Please point to me any living reptile that could be mistaken for a cartoon diplodocus.

Please explain to me what this has to do with anything. We're talking about medieval art, not about a cartoon diplodocus. I predict the latter is based on an actual diplodocus, not on a living repitle.

[ 10. November 2016, 19:27: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
quote:

If you mean something other than what you type then maybe the problem is with you not me.

This particular example was nothing like a cartoon diplodocus, but it is clear that there are actually scientific attempts at dinosaur drawings before the 19th century.

No I don't have a problem at all. Nothing in the beautifully accurate drawings of the C18th looks anything like the 'dinosaurs' in the Bishop Bell brass.

Whatever the inspiration for them is, it isn't from fossils.

There are not any good images from the bleeding thing that are not the photoshoped rubbish on the creationidiots websites to tell what on earth the things are supposed to be.

Or the ones posted by Stetson earlier by an anti-YECer attempting to argue that one photo is an evil YEC-photoshopped version of the other whereas other sites offer ample evidence that they are two completely different images. Talk about trying to manipulate the evidence to fit your prejudices.

Like I say, there is bad faith and dishonest reporting on both sides.

When I was last in Carlisle I visited the castle and an exhibition of 1951 Festival of Britain memorabilia (an inexplicable fascination of mine) but not the Cathedral. Surely there's someone on the Ship that can go and do some fact-checking on site?

Nothing in the beautiful Science Photo Library from the C18th (Wow! They had cameras then too!) looks anything like a 'dinosaur'. You can't get to the unverified cartoon from this exquisite C18th image of 5% of one which started the ball rolling. There is no 'evolutionary' path in the images up to the time of the brass. It took fifty years.

Having seen the current very worn state of the brass, I doubt anything can be determined by anyone. I suspect that the pictures the YECs are using are derived from that print.

I have blown up the print and taken out some of the wee beasties from the border. Most of them are in the left hand border, and a lot of the images look like rough attempts at foliage. (Or, possibly, rhysonetron (pseudo)fossils which are even older than dinosaurs and the cause of disagreement among paleontologists - and not found in the Carlisle area.) I haven't yet found the boar which the skeptic saw as the source image that had been altered. However, I have found the only image which has two beasts together, like the diplodocus one, half way up the left hand edge. It does not have a long tail. It does not have a long neck. It might just be an attempt at a camel.

Not a boar - perhaps an attempt at a crocodile - still haven't found it, though.

I started this so I suppose I had better do it - Just arranged with verger at Carlisle (it's only 40 miles away) to see the brass, heading off now on my mechanical steed... Will let you know tonight what I think

quote:
I started this so I suppose I had better do it - Just arranged with verger at Carlisle (it's only 40 miles away) to see the brass, heading off now on my mechanical steed... Will let you know tonight what I think

Take decent photos, and provide scale and context!!!!

Thank you!!!!

quote:
Or the ones posted by Stetson earlier by an anti-YECer attempting to argue that one photo is an evil YEC-photoshopped version of the other whereas other sites offer ample evidence that they are two completely different images. Talk about trying to manipulate the evidence to fit your prejudices.

Seriously? There is no "ample evidence". There are separate images which might have separate sources.
Even should those two images be different, this does not conclude that it is a dinosaur is represented. The very book (bible) that is being defended has no mention of dinosaurs??? Lions are mentioned as beasts to fear when people supposedly walked among raptors and t-Rex and beasts that dwarfed every. single.animal.that.ever.lived. except the blue whale? That stegosaurus and apatosaurus and pterodactyls and not to mention all the massive and crazy prehistoric mammals are completely missed? Instead, we hear about beasts which would be snacks if they coexisted?
quote:

Like I say, there is bad faith and dishonest reporting on both sides.

Yeah, but no. There are some people debunking in an amateur fashion what does not need debunking vs people trying to manipulate reality because they feel a threat.
Evolution does not threaten Christianity unless your faith is woven of the weakest cloth.

If the evidence provided by the YEC is valid, then Anubis exists/existed. There are many more clear and consistent images of him than of dinosaurs existing alongside man.

Presenting or representing in any way that both sides deserve equal respect, cynicism or attention is ridiculous.

quote:
Presenting or representing in any way that both sides deserve equal respect, cynicism or attention is ridiculous.

I never said anything about equal. It seems obvious to me that the line of argument and means of support on the site Stetson linked to is pathetic, though. It's always a mistake to assume all the stupidity is on the other side.

quote:
quote:

I never said anything about equal. It seems obvious to me that the line of argument and means of support on the site Stetson linked to is pathetic, though. It's always a mistake to assume all the stupidity is on the other side.
There are stupid people on every side of every issue known to humans. This is irrelevant to the issue. Saying that person has not presented their case well, is different to saying that side does not present their case well.
The way things are phrased and presented matters. It is why people who do not accept global warming have a seat at the adults' table when they should be in a crèche.
YEC deserves ridicule.
IMO, the problem is that some object to ridiculing the people who believe in YEC.
Though I understand how it might come to be that intelligent people might find themselves believing drivel, I admit I find it hard to separate the belief from the person.

quote:
IMO, the problem is that some object to ridiculing the people who believe in YEC.

Yes, that's probably where we part company on this.

I can't claim never to ridicule some views, or the people who hold them, but I always feel it's a poor way to win an argument. Ridicule is cheap, and even the truth can be ridiculed. Ridicule should not stand in the way of reasoned argument.

But I also recognise this insistence is one of my personal idiosyncrasies.

quote:
quote:

I can't claim never to ridicule some views, or the people who hold them, but I always feel it's a poor way to win an argument. Ridicule is cheap, and even the truth can be ridiculed. Ridicule should not stand in the way of reasoned argument.

Not entirely. In my (all too few) better moments, I agree with your sentiment here.

When I was trying to find non-biassed images, I noticed that the biblical word which kept coming up with the image was 'behemoth', which they assume means dinosaur, in the absence of Owens of the Natural History Museum to inform the authors of the name to be given in the 29th century.

quote:
quote:

Nice rejoinder, an oldie but a goodie.
There is no reasoned argument against YEC, because it is not a position of reason. It is simply a defence against a threat that it creates itself. Unfortunately, the collateral damage is real.

quote:
When I was trying to find non-biassed images, I noticed that the biblical word which kept coming up with the image was 'behemoth', which they assume means dinosaur, in the absence of Owens of the Natural History Museum to inform the authors of the name to be given in the 29th century.

Behemoth and Leviathan are bogeys. They are not used to threaten in conventional ways as are lions.

Back now, getting chilly on two wheels this time of year. Friendly verger, have got good pics (can anyone tell me how I can share them with you?). Can confirm that the images on line are not photoshopped, and they do in fact look quite convincingly diplodocine. The images are interspersed with words on the outer border inscription of the brass, and the others mostly look like recognisable beasts - dogs, a rat? etc, and several species of fish, along with flowers and foliage, totally decorative. Apparently lots of folk from Australia come asking to see them...

Great field work, Clemency!

For the images, you could upload them to an image-sharing site like Imgur. If you're not sure how to do this and don't have anyone to hand to help, PM me to discuss alternative solutions.

quote:
There is no reasoned argument against YEC, because it is not a position of reason.

I can't see why one cannot reasonably explain why an argument is not reasonable. It may not convince the person, but in the long run it is a much more robust way of convincing onlookers than simply pointing and saying "ha! ha! ha!".

quote:
quote:
There is no reasoned argument against YEC, because it is not a position of reason.

I can't see why one cannot reasonably explain why an argument is not reasonable. It may not convince the person, but in the long run it is a much more robust way of convincing onlookers than simply pointing and saying "ha! ha! ha!".
Yes. This. Thank you.

If the foundation of the argument be built on sand, and pretty loose sand at that, the least reasoned water washeth it all away. The argument that a sieve is a bucket is every bit as robust and as worthy as winged swine.

IME, the less reasoned the belief, the tightly it is grasped.
That is one reason Dead Horses exists.

Posted by Goldfish Stew (# 5512) on :

quote:
IME, the less reasoned the belief, the tightly it is grasped.
That is one reason Dead Horses exists.

I suspect ridicule isn't the right tool to prise open that tight grasp...

But it is a way to vent frustration... [Big Grin]

A major reason I come to DH, and indeed to the Ship in general, is to try and understand what other people think, and how, and to benchmark my own reasoning on a range of issues against theirs.

The Ship has been instrumental in shaping my thinking over the years, and that includes changing my stance on a number of DH issues (YEC not being one of them, I think it's always seemed suspect to me despite being pushed in the circles I grew up in).

If there's one thing that consistently stands in the way of this process for me, it's people who have nothing but scorn, ridicule or even hatred for other points of view. Sometimes such sentiments have almost made me change my mind back, despite compelling arguments.

(In fact thinking about it, YECers' scorn, ridicule or even hatred for evolutionists was probably instrumental in me doubting the YEC stance from the outset).

Meanwhile, back on topic, here are a couple of pics from Clemency: here and here

Kudos again for making the trip, Clemency!

The "diplodocus head" on the left looks a bit like the back end of a Chimera to me (especially because of which way the legs are facing).

[ 12. November 2016, 08:11: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

The 'head' on the left is interpreted by YEC as being a spiked tail or 'thagomiser' (google this one, it's fun) well known from the Stegosaurs but apparently recently found in brontosaur-type beasts as well (sorry but cannot lay my hands on the book at the moment, usual poltergeist problem). It's odd because one would have expected a symmetrical pair of identical animals, but the one on the r has a conventional tail.

If that's a thagomizer, it's having a lot of fun.

Thanks Clemency... very interesting

That tail certainly looks like it has a head (and is on a more muscular/cat-like body than the second beastie.)

It's a shame the central engravings appear to have worn away. The feet are interesting on the right hand specimen - almost human-like feet at the front and perhaps hooves at the back.

What we have is 2 beasties, 1 which appears to share features with certain dinosaur species believed to be long extinct, and one which doesn't.

I wouldn't consider it compelling myself, but see how someone committed to a view that had dinosaurs present more recently might latch on to it.

The truth is we don't rightly know. We don't even have scale, just assumed scale.

If I were really investigating this further, I'd be looking at the other beasties on the brass and cataloguing them. Is there a theme - perhaps a list of animals that maps to a piece of literature etc.? Are all other animals shown there easily ascribable to known contemporary animals, or are there examples of mythic beasties present? What "margin of error" for the features of the creature is noted - how stylized are the images of presumed known creatures? Are they fatter/thinner etc.

And what other contemporary accounts are there of similar beasties?

How much more the answers to such questions actually tell us may be debatable, but it could provide interesting information.

quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
perhaps hooves at the back.

Yes, I was wondering about a giraffe, drawn by someone who had never seen one (I can see something that looks like two ossicornes on what might be the largely erased head of the beastie to the right).

@Goldfish Stew, we do rightly know that it has nothing to do with dinosaurs apart from via dragons which are obviously based on snakes, salamanders, lizards, crocodiles, bats and large animal remains, including ... Chinese dinosaur fossils.

And yes, it is impossible to reason with unreasoned positions unless those holding them can be taught reason, which is virtually impossible in adulthood. I was nearly lost myself.

quote:
Sometimes such sentiments have almost made me change my mind back, despite compelling arguments.

This is a stupid, but all too human, trait. Stubborn is one of my major flaws, so I understand, but it is still a stupid thing. I often find it difficult to admit out loud when I am wrong, especially when the discussion is still under-way.
In the spirit of this, I was wrong about the photoshop.

The head* of the creature on the right does indeed look like a child's rendition of a giraffe. Indeed, all three beasts I've seen referenced are at a young child's level of artistic skill. This, combined with lack of knowledge and fantastical beasts, are what these engravings consist of.

*All anatomical labels will be approximate, obviously

quote:
'thagomiser' (google this one, it's fun)

There is only one reference necessary.
Thank you for the images, BTW.

Thanks Clemency - certainly clearer than what is visible on that print, which does seem to have been copied inaccurately. I'd like to see the rest of the images, and the text (and translation), if at all possible. Having seen the difference between the print and your photo, I'm reluctant to identify the fish and the weasel I think I spotted.

Perhaps we should all go to the latest Rowling film - 'Fantastic Creatures and where to find them'.

quote:
(In fact thinking about it, YECers' scorn, ridicule or even hatred for evolutionists was probably instrumental in me doubting the YEC stance from the outset).

{digression - as one who has periodically been guilty of ridicule in the opposite direction, regrettably I note that this analysis cuts both ways...}

I would have spent longer but did not want to trouble the vergers, and they had a service coming up anyway. Finding my way to the Cathedral - the only route is through a labyrinth of back streets - took some time, and I found myself on a main road heading due south into sun so low that I had to ride with one hand in front of my eyes, and there was no chance of reading road signs...There are outer and inner inscriptions. The inner is very standard, here lies Bishop Richard Bell, who died... etc (in Latin of course), the outer, with the beasts and floral motifs, is probably pious phrases.....

Suggestion. Carlisle was a troubled Border city, in medieval years always under threat from the Scots, who were far more terrifying than the good bishop's menagerie of tame saurians (which thus escaped mention in documentary sources) and said beasts were eventually stolen during a raid, driven north, and disposed of in some loch or other.....

I wonder what conclusions cryptozoologists might come to when they unearth Dr Seuss books in 500 years' time?

quote:
Suggestion. Carlisle was a troubled Border city, in medieval years always under threat from the Scots, who were far more terrifying than the good bishop's menagerie of tame saurians (which thus escaped mention in documentary sources) and said beasts were eventually stolen during a raid, driven north, and disposed of in some loch or other.....

Convinces me. (Also thanks for the pictures).

As far as I can see we have that theory and variations (which more or less works, but only with the additional details above)

The pretty near accurate picture of something that we can't identify yet. (which subject to finding a contender would work)

The rather less accurate picture of something of something that's quite different, if you described a giraffe butting heads I could picture it turning out like that**. (again imo works)

The surprisingly** accurate picture of something (actually saurian) described from very afar in space or time* (which again works, but raises other questions).

*within history perhaps but only just.

**(compare the blue tiger in the bestiary, not too bad considering the distance but ...)

quote:
quote:

{digression - as one who has periodically been guilty of ridicule in the opposite direction, regrettably I note that this analysis cuts both ways...}
Plenty of ridicule going the other way right here on this thread. Naming no names.

We gotta find a better way. I gotta. I'm cruel but fair, but not equally.

quote:
I wonder what conclusions cryptozoologists might come to when they unearth Dr Seuss books in 500 years' time?

Indeed. Although through the lens of source criticism I would suggest that a brass ornamental etching in a cathedral may be considered a slightly different genre from a rhyming children's book designed to get children to read.

Just saying

[ 14. November 2016, 06:08: Message edited by: Goldfish Stew ]

One late comment. Have found my book - the brontosaur-type with a spiked tail is SHUNOSAURUS, only found in China. The spiked tail/thagomiser is shown a bit big on the Carlisle version, but, hey, quite recognisable..

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
One late comment. Have found my book - the brontosaur-type with a spiked tail is SHUNOSAURUS, only found in China. The spiked tail/thagomiser is shown a bit big on the Carlisle version, but, hey, quite recognisable..

To me it does rather look like another head. Like on a Chimaera.

Thing is, I'm not quite sure what creationists are trying to prove here. That dinosaurs survived into the 15th century? How does that tally with their other ideas that the fossil record (where all the dinosaur remains are found) was laid down during the flood? Why are there no dinosaur bones in any archaeological remains? None in tarpits? Why did a late 15th century brass maker put images of a Chinese dinosaur on there? Why aren't they still around now? Why does no-one record anything like them in historical times?

[ 14. November 2016, 10:38: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Thing is, I'm not quite sure what creationists are trying to prove here. That dinosaurs survived into the 15th century? How does that tally with their other ideas that the fossil record (where all the dinosaur remains are found) was laid down during the flood? Why are there no dinosaur bones in any archaeological remains? None in tarpits? Why did a late 15th century brass maker put images of a Chinese dinosaur on there?

From what I've gathered from books, presentations and conversations by/with Creationists (admittedly not on this exact subject) I would expect the argument to run something like this:

1. They generally accept the scientific consensus that fossilisation under normal circumstances is rare, and thus they do not expect many (if any) fossils to have been formed after the Flood. Thus, they would say, virtually all fossils were formed in the Flood (and may accept a few more recent ones - though most of what we have from the past 10,000 years are actually mumified rather than fossilised).

2. The fossils (produced by the Flood) represent the geographical spread of creatures before the Flood. After the Flood, the descendants of the managerie in the Ark are likely to have occupied different geographical areas. Thus, there is no difficulty with a dinosaur that had lived in what is now China pre-Flood being found in NW Europe afterwards. The biggest problem here is that clearly many creatures went back to similar areas to where they came from before the Flood - kangeroos to Australia etc. So, why did some creatures go home, and others not?

quote:
I would suggest that a brass ornamental etching in a cathedral may be considered a slightly different genre from a rhyming children's book designed to get children to read.

I'm not sure. My comment was not intended as riducule. I'm no specialist, but it strikes me that stonemason in medieval cathedrals had quite a lot of fun that didn't necessarily represent something factual or serious. Thinking especially of Wells cathedral's toothache man.
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
To me it does rather look like another head. Like on a Chimaera.

Indeed, that was my suggestion earlier.

(Incidentally, chimeras are also my interpretation of the fire-breathing monsters in Revelation 11, more often explained as ballistic missiles by enthusiastic tribulationists. I think the tendency to read our own contextual meaning into historic images - for which we often sorely lack context- is huge. There's a fun roundup of some of these here).

[ 14. November 2016, 14:36: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
quote:
I would suggest that a brass ornamental etching in a cathedral may be considered a slightly different genre from a rhyming children's book designed to get children to read.

I'm not sure. My comment was not intended as riducule. I'm no specialist, but it strikes me that stonemason in medieval cathedrals had quite a lot of fun that didn't necessarily represent something factual or serious. Thinking especially of Wells cathedral's toothache man.
Indeed, and there was a reason I said earlier in the thread that it would be instructive to review the other beasties on the brass for any sense of theme/proportion etc. If every other beastie were easily identifiable as an animal found locally (or in the Bishop's menagerie) then this would be less seuss and more Zoo. Within reason.

If there were winged serpents, an Impossibilodon and three headed pheasants then a less literal view of the beastie in question is very well supported.

If there were a hippopotomus-like beastie, but with clear issues of proportion and accuracy, and a lion that looked more like someone tried to draw it based on a description then any confidence in the accuracy of rendering that someone may have is undermined.

And if at the bottom there's the signature of a certain Doctor known for his rhyming stories, then all bets are off.

For the record, I don't think this is a dinosaur or any particularly stunnning piece of evidence - just throwing the kinds of exploratory thoughts I'd be applying in response to the original question.

I'm also reminded of the bit in Out of the Silent Planet where Ransom comes across the carvings on Malacandra and has his portrait done by a pfifltrigg:
quote:
'It is not how they would draw me in my own world.'
'No,' said the pfifiltrigg. 'I do not mean it to be too like. Too like, and they will not believe it - those who are born after' (...)
it dawned upon Ransom that the odious figures were intended as an idealisation of humanity. Conversation languished for a while...

[ 15. November 2016, 08:05: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by Baker (# 18458) on :

Kind of a tangent here, but I saw an amusing belated birthday card.

It depicts two dinosaurs perched on rocks, surrounded by water. Near the horizon is Noah's Ark. As they watch it float away one dino says "Oh crap! Was that today???"

© Ship of Fools 2016