Thread: Kerygmania: Moo's Non-Stop Kerygmaniacal Birthday Thread Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001281

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

Our beloved Moo, longtime Shipmate and Keryg host, has marked a milestone birthday this week. This thread is for conveying our best wishes to her, albeit in truly Kerygmaniacal fashion. What Bible verse best expresses your thoughts about long life, happiness, good health, and other such birthday-oriented themes?

Mine is from 3 John 1:2:
quote:

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, just as it is well with your soul.

[ 02. July 2015, 23:38: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Congratulations, best wishes, and thanks for all your commonsense contributions across the Ship from both of us.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

"The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.”’

Numbers 6:24-26

(and a very happy birthday to my former co-host, with many thanks for her loyal service. ) [Axe murder] [Overused]

[ 08. February 2014, 03:26: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by StevHep (# 17198) on :

quote:
31 Grey hair is a crown of glory;
it is gained in a righteous life.

Proverbs 16

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Job 12:12
Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?

Isaiah 46:4
Even to your old age and grey hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Posted by Nigel M (# 11256) on :

Has The Day finally arrived? Happy Birthday, Moo!

Deuteronomy 4:32
Ask now about the former days, long before your time, from the day God created human beings on the earth; ask from one end of the heavens to the other. Has anything so great as this ever happened, or has anything like it ever been heard of?

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Happy birthday Moo!

I'm a bit unsure about adding this text, since it emphasizes being "finished" a bit too much (and the writer does preface it by saying the time of his departure is near) but I've always thought it would be a lovely thing to be able to say as one reached the later years of life, though hopefully with a few more miles to go in this race!

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing" (1 Timothy 4:7,8).

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

Dear Moo! Happy Birthday to you! May the dear Lord bless you! Happy long life to you!
(Wish I could sing it to you..)

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

Moo, in light of your long service to the Ship, your grace and your wisdom, I have come to think of you as an on-line friend. As such, may I offer:

quote:
Faithful friends are a sturdy shelter:
whoever finds one has found a treasure.
Faithful friends are beyond price;
no amount can balance their worth.
Faithful friends are life-saving medicine;
and those who fear the Lord will find them.
Those who fear the Lord direct their friendship aright,
for as they are, so are their neighbours also.

It is from Sirach 6:14-17. And, yes, I know not everybody recognizes Sirach as a book of the Bible..but it is in mine, so that counts, right? [Smile]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Presumably not 'Thou art not yet fifty years old yet hast thou seen Abraham?'

Posted by Charles Had a Splurge on (# 14140) on :

Moo,

No sign of your powers waning, so
Joshua 14:10-11

And now, as you see, the Lord has kept me alive, as he said, these forty-five years since the time that the Lord spoke this word to Moses, while Israel was journeying through the wilderness; and here I am today, eighty-five years old. 11 I am still as strong today as I was on the day that Moses sent me; my strength now is as my strength was then, for war, and for going and coming.

[edited for easy reading]

[ 09. February 2014, 17:47: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

WOW!

Thanks, guys!

Octogenarian Moo

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Happy birthday, Moo!

Oil and perfume make the heart glad,
and the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel. (Proverbs 27:9)

[edited for easy reading]

[ 09. February 2014, 17:46: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
And, yes, I know not everybody recognizes Sirach as a book of the Bible..but it is in mine, so that counts, right? [Smile]

You betcha.

Keep 'em coming, folks.

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

I remember a Great birthday party in the Gospels. Oh, wait...

On reflection, it may be better to stick with Luke 5:39b: "for the old is best."

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

I like this one

quote:
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
Prov 4:5

I think you got that. You are a very wise Host and colleague, as I have good reason to know. Advancing years have in no way diminished that kingdom "pearl of great price".

To quote His Bobness, please "keep on keeping on"!

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

Happy birthday Moo.

Rejoice in The Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice!....

Philippians 4:4-9

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

"So if a person lives many years, let him rejoice in them all." (Ecclesiastes 11:8.)

Hope you had a great day [Big Grin]

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

I offer Joshua 14:10-12:
quote:
So here I am today, eighty-five years old! I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Now give me this hill country that the Lord promised me that day.
Perhaps that should have been kept for 2019, but on the other hand perhaps Caleb can serve as inspiration for the future! No matter our age, we still have more mountains to conquer in what God has set before us. May God give you his strength and vigour for those still before you.

Happy birthday Moo!

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

I'm wondering if I'll be struck by lightning posting in Kerygmania.

knowledge of the Bible is not exactly my strength (I can totally quote some Tolkien!) so I had to do some digging.

Moo is one of my all-time favorite Shipmates. She is so kind to me, and has talked me through some challenges and helped me to understand some people and situations that I had trouble opening up my heart enough to try and empathize with. I'm still not always very good at this, but Moo has taught me so much. I'm trying to become a better person! I'm trying to open myself to understanding! Without Moo's wise guidance, this would be a lot harder.

When I mention the Ship to people out here in the blood and bone world, Moo is the one I probably brag on the most. She, to me, is the embodiment of what makes this place so special in a sea of chaos that the internet really is. Moo is not just an amazing font of knowledge; but she tempers it with kindness and understanding and flexibility and an openness to other people and their experience. And, thankfully, she can do all of this with humor.

Moo has been my teacher. And so I humbly offer this:
quote:
Proverbs 1:2-6:
To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight,

to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity;

to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth—

Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance,

to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles.

Happy Birthday, Dear One. My world would be a lesser place without your guidance.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

Short but sweet, and seems appropriate for someone I have only positive thoughts of:

I thank my God every time I remember you Philippians 1:3

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

3 John 1:2

Dear friend, I’m praying that all is well with you and that you enjoy good health in the same way that you prosper spiritually.

Out of context, but this reflects my wishes for your good health and happiness, Moo! Thank you for all you have done to share your wisdom and kindness with so many of us.

Many years!

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

Wisdom comes with years, but it in no way diminishes one's sense of humor. So I offer this verse:
quote:
Genesis 18.15-33
But Sarah denied, saying, ‘I did not laugh’; for she was afraid. He said, ‘Oh yes, you did laugh.’

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee.

Deuteronomy 32:7.

Happy Birthday Moo. You are a wise counselor and a well of information and insight.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I offer the first part of Psalm 90, v.10:

The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years ...

Congratulations to a strong, wise and very special lady. [Smile]

Posted by PaulBC (# 13712) on :

Moo
Happy birthday see Romans 8:34-38

quote:
Who is to condemn? It is Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all day long;
we are accounted as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

[Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

[edited to include text]

[ 10. February 2014, 09:51: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

It's kind of perplexing trying to find a suitably joyous and celebratory passage in the Necronomicon, but it's all I have handy. Maybe the bit about the feast of R'lyeh could be intentionally misinterpreted as being festive...

Anyway: happy birthday Moo. May you be eaten first.

Posted by Cthulhu (# 16186) on :

ROOK, YOU READ MY MIND. BUT MAYBE THAT IS BECAUSE I DEVOURED YOU A LONG TIME AGO.

MOO, YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO TOUCH THE NON-CHITINOUS PARTS OF THE TATTERED REMNANTS OF WHAT PASSES FOR MY SOUL. MANY YEARS, SWEETHEART.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" [Axe murder]

[ 10. February 2014, 04:20: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
ROOK, YOU READ MY MIND. BUT MAYBE THAT IS BECAUSE I DEVOURED YOU A LONG TIME AGO.

MOO, YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO TOUCH THE NON-CHITINOUS PARTS OF THE TATTERED REMNANTS OF WHAT PASSES FOR MY SOUL. MANY YEARS, SWEETHEART.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" [Axe murder]

Cthulhu seems to be losing his edge ... [Biased]

Many happy returns Moo. [Yipee]

Hopefully no one has yet posted Isaiah 40:31 ESV - But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint

Tubbs

[ 10. February 2014, 13:53: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

Posted by The Devil's Advocate (# 666) on :

Happy Birthday.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Bit of difficulty finding anything terrifically upbeat in Ecclesiastes, but I'm pretty at least the first half of a verse said Party!

Anyway, Happy Birthday.

Posted by Gildas (# 525) on :

Not age related but appropriate, I hope:

John 14: 23

If anyone loves me he will keep my word, and my father will love him and we shall come to him and make our home with him.

Bless you, Moo. Thank you for all you do, and thank you for your humour and wisdom over the many boards you have looked after.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Many happy returns for your milestone birthday. May the Lord bless and keep you all the days of your life.

© Ship of Fools 2016